PDA

View Full Version : Is Degraff the worst midfielder we've ever had?

Cameron1875
17-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Sorry for this depressing thread but in my time of watching hibs i think he is the worst midfielder i've had to witness in the green and white.
Wouldnt say player as we have had people like hurtado, murdock, roland edge etc .
I've only been watching hibs for 10 years so some of the older fans probably can name worse than degraff.

CallumLaidlaw
17-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Sorry for this depressing thread but in my time of watching hibs i think he is the worst midfielder i've had to witness in the green and white.
Wouldnt say player as we have had people like hurtado, murdock, roland edge etc .
I've only been watching hibs for 10 years so some of the older fans probably can name worse than degraff.

Brian Kerr?

Disc O'Dave
17-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Jarko Wiss?

Cameron1875
17-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Brian Kerr?

its a close call but him scoring winner v hearts might just let him off.... just:wink:

JimBHibees
17-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Stuart Turnbull makes EDG look like Xavi. :greengrin

TRC
17-01-2011, 02:54 PM
lee power

bawheid
17-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Not even close.

Jim44
Considering the good reviews and the potential we were led to believe he had, he has been a shocker of a signing.

al bundy
wiss vs de graff

now thats a tough call

ivan03
didnt one of willie millers sons play in midfield? they were rottin!!!
also... rankin??? :confused: suppose his couple of wonder goals save him from being worst!

Sloppy
17-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Matty Jack :dunno:

:greengrin

aberhibsfc
17-01-2011, 02:57 PM
He's come to a foriegn country to a team that is not playing well. The type of personality he is probably running around trying to do everyone else's job for them. I fear we won't see any playing any better until the team as a whole has been restructured, if that means losing him to have a better team then so be it.

Aldo
17-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I would say he will be close to being the worst.

As for Rankin get a life...he may not be the best player but at least he tries and can run.

As for box to box player.....FFS Hughes.....they guy couldnae run the length of a matchbox never mind the length of a pitch.

Diclonius
17-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Ah, the yearly "[current first teamer] is the worst player we've ever had" thread. I wonder who'll be our worst player ever next year? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Ah, the yearly "[current first teamer] is the worst player we've ever had" thread. I wonder who'll be our worst player ever next year? :dunno:

He's got another year left of his contract, he might get the award two years running if we are unlucky?:wink:

Aldo
17-01-2011, 03:04 PM
He's got another year left of his contract, he might get the award two years running if we are unlucky?:wink:

Quality

RoslinInstHibby
17-01-2011, 03:06 PM
dunno about worst ever, but he has certainly been a major disappointment:agree:

hibbybrian
17-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Wrong wrong wrong :rolleyes:

Stuart Turnbull makes me look like Xavi :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
17-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Brian Hamilton

Andy74
17-01-2011, 03:13 PM
He's been disappointing, but as ever, there's been a huge over reaction.

People will just look for things to justify what they think about him now in a negative way.

He's had a few good games such as Parkhead, Dundee Utd away, one or two others since where people on here were saying they were his best performances. all the games have merged into one for me this year so no idea right now what they were.

Early season he was getting itno the box and on the end of chances, yes he missed a few but that is his game.

Right now he's being asked to run about and chase things down and he's not getting forward so we're not using him really.

I expect I'll be the only person who thinks he is a decent player but hey ho.

eastmainsmsh
17-01-2011, 03:16 PM

People will just look for things to justify what they think about him now in a negative way.

He's had a few good games such as Parkhead, Dundee Utd away, one or two others since where people on here were saying they were his best performances. all the games have merged into one for me this year so no idea right now what they were.

Early season he was getting itno the box and on the end of chances, yes he missed a few but that is his game.

Right now he's being asked to run about and chase things down and he's not getting forward so we're not using him really.

you dont play for Feyenoord if your rubbish going by the youtube footage he looks quality that was about 5-6 yr ago few injurys ... Pace has gone imo and in scottish game he is being found out no doubt he is/has been.a player but we have yet to see it .... however ive no doubt Ed will hold his hands up and say he has been poor :agree:

McKenzie
17-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Ross Chisolm ?:hmmm:

Spike Mandela
17-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Not even sure if he is the worst midfielder in the current squad to be honest.:confused:

Stevie Reid
17-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Behave yourself. I've finally jacked it with hoping that he's gonna come good, but miles away from being the worst ever.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Is that not what all players should do Andy?

Winston Ingram
17-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Rankin for me. I've never seen a more technically inept footballer than him.

al bundy
17-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Brian Hamilton

hammy wasn't that bad

Dinkydoo
17-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Never the worst imo.

He has been pretty crap and that in terms of what reputation he came with is a major disappointement.

He has however joined a team that is full of players underperforming imo. Don't get me wrong, some of the players currently within our ranks aren't very good, but most have still been underperforming for quite some time now.

I think he's turning into a bit of an AOB - came with a decent rep, playing at about the same level as the rest of his mediocre team mates, lost all credability with the fans and his confidence and performance suffered subsequently.

Lets hope he can turn it around though (much as I would have liked AOB to have done so).

GGTTH

Future17
17-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Is Degraff the worst midfielder we've ever had?

Probably just as well you don't rate him. It'd be a disaster if you wanted his name on the back of your strip. :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
17-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Ah, the yearly "[current first teamer] is the worst player we've ever had" thread. I wonder who'll be our worst player ever next year? :greengrin

Have to say, it will be many many years before Duncan Lambie and Jas. Brown are toppled from their perch. Van der Graff would benefit from better players around him, but he is not that bad.

sunshine1875
17-01-2011, 04:58 PM
de Gaff, a "box-to-box" player - only problem is that it takes him about ten minutes get from "box-to-box". What him between 1:10 and 1:30 in the Celtic match lowlights.

Dinkydoo
17-01-2011, 05:03 PM
de Gaff, a "box-to-box" player - only problem is that it takes him about ten minutes get from "box-to-box". What him between 1:10 and 1:30 in the Celtic match lowlights.

How can someone take 10 minutes to get somewhere in 20 seconds? :greengrin

ancient hibee
17-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I think he has suffered by being over praised by Hughes to justify the signing.I think his discomfort on the ball is very disappointing.

12AlbionPlace
17-01-2011, 05:38 PM

I think when Yogi said box to box, he must have meant his own 6 yard to 18 yard box:greengrin

fatbloke
17-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Aye probably

BEEJ
17-01-2011, 06:17 PM
How can someone take 10 minutes to get somewhere in 20 seconds? :greengrin
It's just the highlights of his 10 minute run from box to box.

HibeeSince85
17-01-2011, 06:38 PM
A 2 page thread about Hibs worst midfielder and nobody had mentioned Joe Keenan.

Never a footballer never mind a midfielder.

Purehibee_MYB
17-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Is Degraff the worst midfielder we've ever had?

Yes.

sahib
17-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Harsh.

The Voice Of Reason
17-01-2011, 06:49 PM
sorry for this depressing thread but in my time of watching hibs i think he is the worst midfielder i've had to witness in the green and white.

Yes.

Bostonhibby
17-01-2011, 06:52 PM
wiss vs de graff

now thats a tough call

I'd go for De Graff by a KO with a right hook to the chin in the 3rd. must be good at something, maybe just that footballs not his sport?

basehibby
17-01-2011, 06:52 PM

What a stupid post - no he's not the worst, he's been disappointing certainly but has shown some glimpses of quality - sadly curtailed by all the lead he seems to be wearing in his boots.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2011, 06:53 PM
In our 136 years of existence, I doubt if he's the worst ever but he's certainly not been very good.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-01-2011, 06:58 PM
lee power

Was a striker, allegedly :agree: Just not a very good one.

Bad Martini
17-01-2011, 07:05 PM
I've seen worse.

However, he is *****. Can't put a simple pass together and is woefully inept.

Best game was against Maribor. Done nothing much since...

Neither, has the rest of the team either but yes, I wouldn't be overly concerned if he didn't play for us ever ever ever ever ever ever again. :agree:

CRAZYHIBBY
17-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Deguff is pretty hopeless and will probably get booted in the summer

The Voice Of Reason
17-01-2011, 08:06 PM

The problem we have is that no-one will take him off our hands. If we want to get rid of him we will need to pay him off. Scandalous. :fuming:

The Voice Of Reason
17-01-2011, 08:13 PM
See below for a summary of peoples opinion on "The Dutch Wizard" :-

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?201852-de-Graaf

jax67
17-01-2011, 08:34 PM
yes of course he is!!!

I'm_cabbaged
17-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Reading some of the replies on this thread I'm beginning to think that Nish wasn't all that far wrong. Don't disagree that he's been pish for us but to name him and few others presently at the club as the worst that's played for us ever is pretty clueless.

skipster7
17-01-2011, 08:46 PM
hes been dissapointing in a shocking team but deguff? are we back in primary school ?:confused:
who needs yam trumpets when we seem to revel in petty namecalling our own players/managers.

Capt Mainwaring
17-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Not by a long way.

Put me down as another Stuart Turnbull vote.

Bookkeeper
17-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Is there really any point to this thread - been done to death elsewhere. He's another player playing poorly in a team that is poor. Right now you could pick on any and every Hibs player, but is there any need?

Jones28
17-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Bar the screamer at Ibrox you mean? :wink:

Since90+2
17-01-2011, 09:11 PM
The worst ever? Naw.

He has been pretty poor all season though and I cant help but look back on that chance against the huns that might have just sparked his season into life.

fatbloke
17-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Not by a long way.

Put me down as another Stuart Turnbull vote.

Jeezus just when I had erased this guy from memory somebody recalls him. Hope your happy I won't bloody well sleep tonight with him running around my head.

lucky
17-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Piss poor but not the worst. He is not even the worst in the team

nortonhibby
17-01-2011, 10:20 PM
yes of course he is!!!

you forgot Neil Orr ?

Mixu62
17-01-2011, 10:39 PM
you forgot Neil Orr ?

Thought he was a full-back? My vote goes to Davie Farrell or Ray Wilkins.

latapy10
17-01-2011, 10:39 PM
you forgot Neil Orr ?benny brazil he takes some beating

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2011, 10:41 PM
After reading this thread I wonder if he's thinking we're the worst set of supporters he's ever played in front of!

madabouthibs
17-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Liam Millers been a very disappointing signing, considering his "pedigree".
In terms of expectation, he's one of the worst imo. :duck:

seamus88
17-01-2011, 10:56 PM
That Andrews we brought in for wee russ!! he couldnae pass wind!!

nortonhibby
17-01-2011, 10:56 PM
benny brazil he takes some beating

Benny was a Legend wore the shirt with pride:flag: he maybe was not the best but had the heart of a lion:aok: De Graff the Yogi parting signing could not lace Bennys Boots:greengrin

BS44
17-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I've seen worse.

However, he is *****. Can't put a simple pass together and is woefully inept.

Best game was against Maribor. Done nothing much since...

Neither, has the rest of the team either but yes, I wouldn't be overly concerned if he didn't play for us ever ever ever ever ever ever again. :agree:

Rubbish.

The guy can pass a ball. Got a good first touch as well.

Where he is struggling is the speed of the game in Scotland. If he can get up to the pace of the game here then we may have a half-decent player.

Liberal Hibby
17-01-2011, 11:45 PM
When challenged that Ringo Starr wasn't exactly the best drummer in the world, John Lennon replied 'he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles'.

That's how I feel about yet another ludicrous thread...

Mikeystewart
17-01-2011, 11:48 PM
No

Remember Edwin De'Graff is a human being and more than likely reads this forum. Or I suppose he might have been warned by every member of the squad not too as every player that has ever played for Hibs has taken a thrashing on this board at some stage or another. Maybe other than a select group.

I'm pretty sure there have been worse players at Hibs, mainly due to the fact I have only witnessed about 10 of the past 135 years (and I doubt the majority of posters on this forum haven't even witnessed half of that time period) and some players are made to look better or worse by the players around them.

In point its an outrageous question, he is clearly not even the worst midfielder in our squad because other than maybe miller and Zemmama he has been getting a shout over any other Midfielder. I also trust the man who is in the job to make that judgement more than anyone on this forum.

The Voice Of Reason
18-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Rubbish.

Where he is struggling is the speed of the game in Scotland. If he can get up to the pace of the game here then we may have a half-decent player.

Sorry mate, but if you really think that he has a "good first touch" then you cannot have seen him play (either that, or you have never played the game yourself and you don't know what a good first touch is).

Apologies if that sounds patronising, but if you are seriously saying that he has a good first touch then it is up there with the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this forum ! :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
18-01-2011, 08:26 AM
There must be something about him, we just haven't seen anything from him.

Far better players have failed at far better clubs playing with far better team-mates. Seba Veron at Manchester United springs to mind.

Sometimes, it just doesn't pan out the way everyone expects/hopes it will.

If he doesn't pick up between now and the end of the season then it may be time to sever ties. That said, look at Sammon at Killie; 7 goals in his first two years yet this season he's scoring more than me in a brothel after a win at the bookies.

N.B, I never win at the bookies.

I use credit cards :cool2:

truehibernian
18-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Graeme Miller, the boss' son......truly the worst player I have ever clapped eyes on for Hibs.

Greg wasn't too great either. Nepotism at it's worst.

You know it's true lads if you are tuning in :greengrin

SRHibs
18-01-2011, 08:31 AM
De Graaf creeping on 16 year olds at the weekend. What a man!

PeeJay
18-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Sorry mate, but if you really think that he has a "good first touch" then you cannot have seen him play (either that, or you have never played the game yourself and you don't know what a good first touch is).

Apologies if that sounds patronising, but if you are seriously saying that he has a good first touch then it is up there with the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this forum ! :agree:

Scottish players are not generally renowned for having a good first touch, we are looked down on as a footballing nation and deemed to be one lacking any degree of technical skill/sophistication - his touch is as good as any of the locals IMO.

He has however disappointed - but so has the entire team: maybe the "system" we play does not suit his style of football? Maybe too much kick and rush?

bawheid
18-01-2011, 08:43 AM
That Andrews we brought in for wee russ!! he couldnae pass wind!!

Lyndon Andrews? Who played alongside Latapy in the 6-2 game?

Behave.

Winston Ingram
18-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Bar the screamer at Ibrox you mean? :wink:

Wow. 1 good strike of a ball in nearly 3 yrs. I think I'll change my opinion:not worth

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Rubbish.

:faf: aye if you compare him to Ian Murray.

The Voice Of Reason
18-01-2011, 09:45 AM

:faf:

I actually think that Murray is like Maradona compared to "The Dutch Wizard".

Scouse Hibee
18-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Rubbish.

:agree: Correct, only because every first touch is a three yard pass!!
Seriously mate every time i see him I moan about his first touch being so poor.

Sandy
18-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Lyndon Andrews? Who played alongside Latapy in the 6-2 game?

Behave.

Was going to say exactly the same Baw, he came on for Matty Jack, and we really kicked on from there.

truehibernian
18-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Was going to say exactly the same Baw, he came on for Matty Jack, and we really kicked on from there.

Sure did.

I loved wee Lyndon. Not that I am into cricket but when I saw him I thought we had signed Gladstone Small, the bowler with no neck. Wee dynamo in midfield and didn't really get many chances. No doubt helped Russell to settle better too.

BS44
18-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Not at all, mate.

Seen him play plenty of times and I stand by what I say that to use a well worn out phrase - his technique is good.

And I've played plenty of footie over the years at a half-decent standard. Though I must admit I'm no Edwin De Graaf!

:agree: Correct, only because every first touch is a three yard pass!!
Seriously mate every time i see him I moan about his first touch being so poor.

One thing I think we all can agree on is out the four of us I'm the only one who knows anything about the finer points of football! :whistle:

Right I'm off now to Ayr. Hibs to win 2-1 and Edwin "De Good First Touch" Graaf to score the winner.:greengrin

The Voice Of Reason
18-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Not at all, mate.

Seen him play plenty of times and I stand by what I say that to use a well worn out phrase - his technique is good.

And I've played plenty of footie over the years at a half-decent standard. Though I must admit I'm no Edwin De Graaf!

One thing I think we all can agree on is out the four of us I'm the only one who knows anything about the finer points of football! :whistle:

Right I'm off now to Ayr. Hibs to win 2-1 and Edwin "De Good First Touch" Graaf to score the winner.:greengrin

:thumbsup:

HAIL HAIL.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Not at all, mate.

:greengrin Good luck. :top marks

grantonhibee
18-01-2011, 01:46 PM
brian kerr for me

supersauzee
18-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Ross Chisolm ?:hmmm:

100% agree, he was terrible!!

Kaiser1962
18-01-2011, 03:23 PM
He's come to a foriegn country to a team that is not playing well. The type of personality he is probably running around trying to do everyone else's job for them. I fear we won't see any playing any better until the team as a whole has been restructured, if that means losing him to have a better team then so be it.

You make fair points. I think the pace and ferocity of the game here have surprised him. If Ronaldinho came here he would probably get killed.

The Voice Of Reason
18-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Just noticed the bit in bold - if you mean getting rid of him, that would require another team to take him off our hands - which aint gonna happen (unless their chief scout is David Blunkett or Stevie Wonder.)

I fear we will have to resort to paying De Graaf off - disgraceful.

Greentinted
18-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm in the B. Hamilton Esq camp on this one. And a good few others are well up the queue before Edwin.
I remember Stuart Lovell's first season in the SPL and thought he was out his depth, but it was a case of him adjusting to the requirements of the league and he became arguably one of our most consistent performers in a team of veritable galacticos (relative, of course, to the present squad).