PDA

View Full Version : Decision making!

Reaper
16-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Since the end of yesterdays game I've been thinking alot about this. There are numerous problems with the team just now however I can't help thinking that one of the biggest ones is our decision making when in possession.

I thought the first half hour from us yesterday was reasonable but showed an obvious lack of confidence, however, on the few occasions we did get to the edge of their box with the ball, every time we picked the wrong option. One that springs to mind was when Spoony got the ball out wide right, in behnind Celtics back four and he put a high ball in the box where we only had Riordan marked by 2x 6ft+ centre halfs, where there was oppurtunity for it to go to the back post for Galbraith or to the edge of the box.

We don't have much end procudt just now, one striker doesn't help but I think our decision making being better, we might just sneak a few more chances during the game.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 04:06 PM
You are right, we put far too many crosses in from deep yesterday, and to be honest most games too. With having little height up front we need to be playing intricate balls through the oppositions defense, although thats a problem too, as our midfield are incapable of that through lack of ability.

lord bunberry
16-01-2011, 04:51 PM
You are right, we put far too many crosses in from deep yesterday, and to be honest most games too. With having little height up front we need to be playing intricate balls through the oppositions defense, although thats a problem too, as our midfield are incapable of that through lack of ability.

surely thats the job of the manager to tell them that

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 04:53 PM
surely thats the job of the manager to tell them that

I agree, is he not?

lord bunberry
16-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I agree, is he not?

if he is they are not listening

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 05:06 PM
if he is they are not listening

Or as i said originally not good enough.

ancient hibee
16-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Being an old codger I actually think that many of the team don't actually know how to play football.

Just a small list (as well as the obvious one of crossing high balls instead of hitting it in low and hard as when Duffy hit the bar)of basics of playing the game taught to me in Boys Clubfootball a few decades ago.

Defenders should follow the man not the ball-why we lose so many goals to unmarked players-the ball always has to come back into the goal area.

Passes should always be made to the side of the player furthest away from an opponent-we don't hence so many are easily dispossessed.

Throw ins from a defensive position must always go down the wing not infield and certainly not into our own danger area.

If you have to cross a high ball it should always go behind a square defence so they have to turn to defend it.

If you are on the ball and under no pressure you should never pass to a player who is in danger of being closed down particularly if he is facing his own goal.

If you pass you must move and not stand still.

If you are competing for a high ball you always do it side on or try to get in front of an opponent-never from behind.

If you are running with the ball you always keep it onthe sidefurthest away from an opponent so that he has to risk fouling you to get it.

As I say this was a long time ago.