PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood in the Scotsman

Jim44
16-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I haven't seen any references to this but there was a fairly long in-depth interview by Aidan Smith in the sports section yesterday. Fairly inoccuous stuff but a couple of things raised my eyebrows.

"I don't feel under pressure. The job, being a manager, is something I love doing - and I'm loving it at Hibs. So while I accept results have to improve, I'm not worried. I'm sleeping fine. Have I been to see the chairman? No. If anything, the position we're in is giving me reason to do the exact opposite, to enjoy it even more." Then he leans forward in his chair. "And this job, being a manager, I'm good at it."

Does Calderwood accept they are in a relegation fight? "We're in a fight for the top six."

Reaper
16-01-2011, 03:38 PM
In fairness to Calderwood, no interview he's given so far, and a few I've watched from when he was at Forest and Northampton are any different. He doesn't give anything away in any of them, portrays himself very well and gives a professional response to all the questions asked by the Interviewer.

Okay some of the comments might take you aback but he'll be well aware he's under pressure, well aware we're in a relegation fight and well aware when he needs to speak to the board, he doesn't need to splash it all over papers. I respect that. Too many times we've heard managers (not just at our club) giving a sob story in the papers, refusing to accept responsibilty that comes with their position and possibly in the hope of getting media and fans onside with them and as Liverpool so sadly did, washing the clubs dirty laundry in public. Calderwood appears to be the type who just knuckles down and gets on with it and will deal with the problems within the club internally without it having to be spilled all over the media.

Got to respect him for that.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I haven't seen any references to this but there was a fairly long in-depth interview by Aidan Smith in the sports section yesterday. Fairly inoccuous stuff but a couple of things raised my eyebrows.

"I don't feel under pressure. The job, being a manager, is something I love doing - and I'm loving it at Hibs. So while I accept results have to improve, I'm not worried. I'm sleeping fine. Have I been to see the chairman? No. If anything, the position we're in is giving me reason to do the exact opposite, to enjoy it even more." Then he leans forward in his chair. "And this job, being a manager, I'm good at it."

Does Calderwood accept they are in a relegation fight? "We're in a fight for the top six."

Not seen much proof of it yet though Colin.

Wheat Hound
16-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Two things struck me about this interview.

One, he still lives in northampton and no mention made of a move up here. A sign he's not sure if he'll be here for the long haul?

Two, the part where he asks to speak off record. Reading between the lines, I reckon he was singling out the players he's not happy with.

A good interview though and one in which cc comes across well imho.

ScottB
16-01-2011, 05:19 PM

One, he still lives in northampton and no mention made of a move up here. A sign he's not sure if he'll be here for the long haul?

Two, the part where he asks to speak off record. Reading between the lines, I reckon he was singling out the players he's not happy with.

A good interview though and one in which cc comes across well imho.

No, it says he goes down South after games to see his son, and I take it you missed the bit, and indeed the headline, where he says he is in it for the long haul then?

I quite liked the interview personally, his comments about the players lacking commitment and shirking challenges particularly, and of course, noting the attitudes of some of the fans towards different players.

Perspective
16-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I think the most interesting bit of that interview is the section not written - with his off-the-record comments. He obviously let the PR mask slip and said what he really thinks.

I actually think it's quite an encouraging interview - especially the big about it not mattering if 5/6 left this window because we still don't have a decent first 11. The comments on Nish/Zemmama are interesting too.

persevere1875
16-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe I read it differently but I read it as a man who knows were **** at the moment, who's sat down with a chairman who privately admits were **** at the moment and has been asked to do what he can until such time as the clear out begins, anything we can get money for in the meantime is a bonus but were having a mass clear out regardless.

I would have thought the comment about being able to lose another five or six of the players and it making little difference to the overall problem because we currently dont have a first 11, makes it appear like a manager who's been given the remit to rebuild and lets be realistic for a moment, If he's going to rebuild, and in all honesty the chances of us being the worst of a bad lot and actually going down are slim, where's his money best spent, Now ? Or the summer window ?

Think were looking at no more than a couple of seasoned battlers in this window and a total clear out in the summer.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Maybe I read it differently but I read it as a man who knows were **** at the moment, who's sat down with a chairman who privately admits were **** at the moment and has been asked to do what he can until such time as the clear out begins, anything we can get money for in the meantime is a bonus but were having a mass clear out regardless.

I would have thought the comment about being able to lose another five or six of the players and it making little difference to the overall problem because we currently dont have a first 11, makes it appear like a manager who's been given the remit to rebuild and lets be realistic for a moment, If he's going to rebuild, and in all honesty the chances of us being the worst of a bad lot and actually going down are slim, where's his money best spent, Now ? Or the summer window ?

Think were looking at no more than a couple of seasoned battlers in this window and a total clear out in the summer.

I don't believe we will go down, but disagree there's a slim chance we could. :worried: I think you are spot on with the rest though.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Link to the interview is here.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/Interview-Hibs-manager-Colin-Calderwood.6692381.jp

No, it says he goes down South after games to see his son, and I take it you missed the bit, and indeed the headline, where he says he is in it for the long haul then?

I quite liked the interview personally, his comments about the players lacking commitment and shirking challenges particularly, and of course, noting the attitudes of some of the fans towards different players.

I'm not sure if it's a sign that he's not in it for the long haul but it does say that he drives down to Northampton every Saturday after a game to the house that he still owns. The following day, he goes down to London to collect his son from his ex-wife's house and they play golf.

Presumably, on the Sunday night he then drives all the way up from London to Edinburgh, in preparation for training on the Monday morning.

I find it a bit strange that he hasn't moved up here to be honest. That's a lot of running about that he's doing.

I also find it a bit strange that he thinks we're in a fight for a top six place.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Just noticed from that interview his birthdays the same day as mine. :greengrin Give me and yourself an early present on tuesday Colin.

Wheat Hound
16-01-2011, 05:40 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/Interview-Hibs-manager-Colin-Calderwood.6692381.jp

I'm not sure if it's a sign that he's not in it for the long haul but it does say that he drives down to Northampton every Saturday after a game to the house that he still owns. The following day, he goes down to London to collect his son from his ex-wife's house and they play golf.

Presumably, on the Sunday night he then drives all the way up from London to Edinburgh, in preparation for training on the Monday morning.

I find it a bit strange that he hasn't moved up here to be honest. That's a lot of running about that he's doing.

I also find it a bit strange that he thinks we're in a fight for a top six place.

That's the point I'm making, a lot of travelling for the man and doesn't give any indication that he intends moving up here permanently. He might say he's here for the long haul vut actions speak louder than words.

However, as I also stated above, I like the interview and really hope cc turns things around. I certainly don't want him to walk. I want him here for the long haul.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-01-2011, 05:44 PM
only thing that strikes me as funny is the bit where he finds it necessary to say that he is a good manager. In the football business, other people say that about you, and you let your results speak for you.

matty_f
16-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I thought that was a good piece and it's reassuring to hear that calderwood has identified the same criticisms as we have.

woodyloon
16-01-2011, 06:11 PM
[/B]

Two, the part where he asks to speak off record. Reading between the lines, I reckon he was singling out the players he's not happy with.A good interview though and one in which cc comes across well imho.

Maybe CC should be less protective of the players and say what he really thinks when getting interviewed. Then if any player really nows he is not giving 100%, he might feel ,more incllined to give that bit extra, rather than being named and shamed.

down-the-slope
16-01-2011, 06:50 PM
"What I certainly need is an example player, someone who can tackle. In the first game against Ayr one or two situations where we didn't come away with the ball were entirely unaccaptable. No matter how good a footballer you are, you must win your contacts, whether on the ground or in the air. At the moment some of the players think it's okay not to tackle. Well, there's only so much of that a guy like me can bear and it's definitely got to change."

This I liked best....He would have loved Matty Jack :boo hoo:

Greentinted
16-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Perhaps he's reasonably democratic and caught in between earning a living but maintaining quality contact with those close to him. While he is employed here, its more than feasable to deduce that his wife/ex wife and kids are settled where they are. And in the fickle world of football based employement he's decided that upheaval for those close to him would be unfair on them. Who knows? Maybe someone should ask him.

Aubenas
16-01-2011, 07:17 PM
With avge manager's jobs lasting 18 months now, I think most managers have a 'base' and rent in the town where they manage. I'd imagine a club house/flat is part of the deal when you manage Hibs. When you do move clubs it must be a lot easier dealing with lets than sales.Makes sense anyway to keep a place in Northampton as it means he's not having to drive all the way to London in a oner on a Saturday evening - you could also say it's not a bad base if he's down south scouting. I think he's committed and I also thought it says a lot about the guy that he's prepared to do that to keep close to his lad. He doesn't know the Edinburgh area; he might have thought it better to rent and then look for a place in the close season when he's found out what his routine is like.

I've always wondered where would be the best place to live if you played for Hibs - close to East Mains, close to Easter Rd, near the M8???

I'm not trying to defend CC - just pointing out there could be many reasons for him keeping the place in Northampton. And yes - fine interview by Aiden Smith

Dinkydoo
16-01-2011, 07:22 PM
"

Strange.

Not what he's saying here today: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2011/01/16/i-want-to-bring-a-fighter-into-the-club-who-is-ready-for-a-scrap-says-hibs-boss-colin-calderwood-86908-22853015/

"Whatever happens I need new players. I'd settle for one new player just now. Someone who is accustomed to a fight and ready for it. A British player, preferably."

OK he doesn't say a "relegation" fight but it doesn't sound to me as if he's talking about a battle at the top end of the table.

bingo70
16-01-2011, 07:24 PM
With avge manager's jobs lasting 18 months now, I think most managers have a 'base' and rent in the town where they manage. I'd imagine a club house/flat is part of the deal when you manage Hibs. When you do move clubs it must be a lot easier dealing with lets than sales.Makes sense anyway to keep a place in Northampton as it means he's not having to drive all the way to London in a oner on a Saturday evening - you could also say it's not a bad base if he's down south scouting. I think he's committed and I also thought it says a lot about the guy that he's prepared to do that to keep close to his lad. He doesn't know the Edinburgh area; he might have thought it better to rent and then look for a place in the close season when he's found out what his routine is like.

I've always wondered where would be the best place to live if you played for Hibs - close to East Mains, close to Easter Rd, near the M8???

I'm not trying to defend CC - just pointing out there could be many reasons for him keeping the place in Northampton. And yes - fine interview by Aiden Smith

I think it's a sad day when we're objecting to our manager going to see his son for a round of golf once a week, one night and then a day off is not a lot to ask and if he never had that he'd go mad, on a sidenote, possibly a problem Yogi had if he was unable to just step away from it, have a breather and reflect on what he was doing wrong and get some perspective.

Thought it was a decent article, one thing i'm not sure of though, am i right in saying CC asked to say something to the journalist off the record but he's gone ahead and printed it anyway? seems pretty bad craic if that is the case and i wouldn't expect CC to open up again anytime soon, also hope it doesnt have any effect on the players now they know he might be thinking one thing and saying something different, although it does appear he's told them his patience is wearing thin.

bingo70
16-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Strange.

Not what he's saying here today: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2011/01/16/i-want-to-bring-a-fighter-into-the-club-who-is-ready-for-a-scrap-says-hibs-boss-colin-calderwood-86908-22853015/

"Whatever happens I need new players. I'd settle for one new player just now. Someone who is accustomed to a fight and ready for it. A British player, preferably."

OK he doesn't say a "relegation" fight but it doesn't sound to me as if he's talking about a battle at the top end of the table.

How? He's saying what he needs to start winning games, whether thats to avoid relegation or move towards the top 6 is irrelevant.

JimBHibees
16-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I think it's a sad day when we're objecting to our manager going to see his son for a round of golf once a week, one night and then a day off is not a lot to ask and if he never had that he'd go mad, on a sidenote, possibly a problem Yogi had if he was unable to just step away from it, have a breather and reflect on what he was doing wrong and get some perspective.

Thought it was a decent article, one thing i'm not sure of though, am i right in saying CC asked to say something to the journalist off the record but he's gone ahead and printed it anyway? seems pretty bad craic if that is the case and i wouldn't expect CC to open up again anytime soon, also hope it doesnt have any effect on the players now they know he might be thinking one thing and saying something different, although it does appear he's told them his patience is wearing thin.

Totally agree, off the record kind of means that the boy shouldnt have mentioned it, pretty unprofessional IMO.

E.T. is a Hibee
16-01-2011, 07:33 PM
That a crackin interview, cant wait till he starts the punting of the unwanted!

Go on CC, DO YOUR STUFF!!!

Sir David Gray
16-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Perhaps he's reasonably democratic and caught in between earning a living but maintaining quality contact with those close to him. While he is employed here, its more than feasable to deduce that his wife/ex wife and kids are settled where they are. And in the fickle world of football based employement he's decided that upheaval for those close to him would be unfair on them. Who knows? Maybe someone should ask him.

I don't blame him for wanting to keep in contact with his son, it's only natural that any father would want to do the same.

However, I think it's impractical for him to be going down to the south of England every week, whilst he has a full time management job in Scotland. It's about a 7 hour drive from London to Edinburgh and that's on a good day. That is pretty tough going if you're doing that every week.

At the end of the day, it's Hibs who are his employers and whilst I have no problem with this arrangement if it's having no negative impact on the job he's doing with us, I would question if that is actually the case, considering the amount of travelling that he is doing every week after a game.

ScottB
16-01-2011, 07:35 PM
That's the point I'm making, a lot of travelling for the man and doesn't give any indication that he intends moving up here permanently. He might say he's here for the long haul vut actions speak louder than words.

However, as I also stated above, I like the interview and really hope cc turns things around. I certainly don't want him to walk. I want him here for the long haul.

So he stays down South at the weekend, he presumably stays here all week long. So where does that make his main home? Just because he retains a house nearer to his son he's not in it for the long haul? I'm sure he has the cash to afford a home here and a home there should he want to.

It's indicative of the atmosphere around here of blowing up the slightest thing into an issue to complain about!

ScottB
16-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't blame him for wanting to keep in contact with his son, it's only natural that any father would want to do the same.

However, I think it's impractical for him to be going down to the south of England every week, whilst he has a full time management job in Scotland. It's about a 7 hour drive from London to Edinburgh and that's on a good day. That is pretty tough going if you're doing that every week.

At the end of the day, it's Hibs who are his employers and whilst I have no problem with this arrangement if it's having no negative impact on the job he's doing with us, I would question if that is actually the case, considering the amount of travelling that he is doing every week after a game.

Frankly it's none of the clubs business what he does with his day off, and if he is committed enough as a father to travel down to see his kid every week then full power to him.

Barney McGrew
16-01-2011, 07:37 PM

So the alternative is he either uproots his family from the home they'll have been in for a number of years or doesn't see his son every week?

Dinkydoo
16-01-2011, 07:42 PM
How? He's saying what he needs to start winning games, whether thats to avoid relegation or move towards the top 6 is irrelevant.

Seems completely relevant to me considering the OP stated - Does Calderwood accept they are in a relegation fight? "We're in a fight for the top six."

It came across to me as if he acknowledged the fact that we could well be in for a relegation dogfight in the Sunday Mail.

He didn't come out and say it in so many words but the line "Someone who is accustomed to a fight and ready for it." indicates to me that he's fully aware of our current predicament.

bingo70
16-01-2011, 07:43 PM

So you think he'd be doing a better job if he wasn't travelling on his day off?

In what sense? would we be better organised? would players not be making daft mistakes? would we be scoring more goals? would we have had signings in? would he motivate the players better?

Although you say you've no problem with this it appears you do and I honestly find the fact he's being questioned about this absolutely pathetic and i think people, not just you, need to get some perspective.

I'd be more worried about the integrity of our manager if he didn't make a point of doing this to see his son every week.

Greentinted
16-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Just read the whole Scotsman article and if thats Smith's standard these days he's as well wrapping it. There was a time when he was naturally engaging but whatever ability he had is well past its use-by date.
Must do better.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Frankly it's none of the clubs business what he does with his day off, and if he is committed enough as a father to travel down to see his kid every week then full power to him.

As I say, if it's not having an effect on the job that he's doing then I would agree with that but if it is (and I would find it difficult to believe that it's not, to be honest) then I would argue that it's got everything to do with the club.

I will repeat that I do not have any problem in the slightest with him wanting to spend time with his son, I actually find it quite admirable that he's going to those lengths to spend a day with him.

However, if he wishes to keep up this arrangement of seeing his son every weekend and it's not possible for his son to come up here and live, I would suggest that Colin Calderwood is not suited to working as a manager in Scotland at this moment in time.

bingo70
16-01-2011, 07:53 PM
As I say, if it's not having an effect on the job that he's doing then I would agree with that but if it is (and I would find it difficult to believe that it's not, to be honest) then I would argue that it's got everything to do with the club.

I will repeat that I do not have any problem in the slightest with him wanting to spend time with his son, I actually find it quite admirable that he's going to those lengths to spend a day with him.

However, if he wishes to keep up this arrangement of seeing his son every weekend and it's not possible for his son to come up here and live, I would suggest that Colin Calderwood is not suited to working as a manager in Scotland at this moment in time.

I don't see what he'd be doing better by having a day off up here instead of going down south?

Sir David Gray
16-01-2011, 07:53 PM
So the alternative is he either uproots his family from the home they'll have been in for a number of years or doesn't see his son every week?

Or he leaves Hibs.

Personally, for me, family should always come first and if I ever have a child, I wouldn't take a job that would, at best, make it difficult for me to spend time with him/her.

I think he should see his son every week, in fact I think he should see his son every day and, with him being 15, taking him out of his school at that stage of his education would not be a good idea as he will be doing exams pretty soon.

Barney McGrew
16-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Or he leaves Hibs.

Personally, for me, family should always come first and if I ever have a child, I wouldn't take a job that would, at best, make it difficult for me to spend time with him/her.

I think he should see his son every week, in fact I think he should see his son every day and, with him being 15, taking him out of his school at that stage of his education would not be a good idea as he will be doing exams pretty soon.

Behave yourself.

It's working for him, so where's the problem exactly? You're making something out of nothing. It's hardly a crime that should see him leave his job because of what he chooses to do on his day off.

fishybeaver
16-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Or he leaves Hibs.

Its his ex-wife as the article says and to be honest while I admire him for keeping up see in his kids....its none of our business what he does \ doesnt do in his private life.

At every avenue we (the Fans) are looking for faults, time we all got on the same side and helped the club move forward. As for the tube with the tea towel, I have came across this charachter before and can confirm he is a complete twat!!

smurf
16-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Comes across well. He knows the issues and problems. Lets hope he's enabled from above to give his answers and solutions.

Spike Mandela
16-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Comes across well. He knows the issues and problems. Lets hope he's enabled from above to give his answers and solutions.

We certainly need Divine help:greengrin

OtterHibee
16-01-2011, 08:16 PM

If this arrangement works for him and his lad, and it's not interfering with his work, then where is the issue? It's his decision, and not something you, me, or any other supporter has the right to haul him up on.

I have mixed thoughts on Calderwood as a manager for various reasons, but this is something I do have to commend him for. It's pretty much a given that most working in sports will move around constantly during their careers and I'd imagine it's simply assumed that their families will blindly follow them to wherever they end up next. There is little thought given to the disruption thus placed upon them in such arrangements, particularly teenagers at 15/16/17 who are at an stage in their lives where stability is perhaps required more so than at any other time. That Calderwood hasn't requested they accompany him to Edinburgh, whilst still giving his son the continuity of seeing his father most Sundays should be lauded IMO.

Or he leaves Hibs.

And if you had already established a career you loved before said child was born? Then what? Would you give up everything you had worked for, or dismiss important offers that could play a key part in advancing your career? He's worked in football since he himself was a teenager. What do you expect him to do given his career choice?

Great in theory, but it's nowhere near that simple. Again, he is a football manager, and given his pedigree and the lack of managerial opportunities out there, the likelihood of another job coming up with a club that wants him on board, in an area where he is able to do as you suggest is extremely slim. There has to be compromise somewhere.

Hibee Daz
16-01-2011, 08:59 PM

It was a good interview and I like/agree with your common sense take on it.:aok:

steviehibsleith
16-01-2011, 09:16 PM
What time do the players arrive for training and what time o they finish ? 10-3 if that .Think we all know it isnt a long day so as long as CC is with them during these hours to manage/train them whats the problem. He can make calls scout do all other administrative and background work in a car on a plane wherever doesnt have to be sat in East Mains while all the players are in the bookies playing xbox or on the piss. As long as CC is happy and concentrating on building a good Hibs team where he stays is irrelevent.

Beefster
16-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Good interview. I'm happy that his language seems to be toughening up and that he's saying the same things as us in private.

Let the man manage his personal life how he sees fit though.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Behave yourself.

It's working for him, so where's the problem exactly? You're making something out of nothing. It's hardly a crime that should see him leave his job because of what he chooses to do on his day off.

If this arrangement works for him and his lad, and it's not interfering with his work, then where is the issue? It's his decision, and not something you, me, or any other supporter has the right to haul him up on.

I have mixed thoughts on Calderwood as a manager for various reasons, but this is something I do have to commend him for. It's pretty much a given that most working in sports will move around constantly during their careers and I'd imagine it's simply assumed that their families will blindly follow them to wherever they end up next. There is little thought given to the disruption thus placed upon them in such arrangements, particularly teenagers at 15/16/17 who are at an stage in their lives where stability is perhaps required more so than at any other time. That Calderwood hasn't requested they accompany him to Edinburgh, whilst still giving his son the continuity of seeing his father most Sundays should be lauded IMO.

And if you had already established a career you loved before said child was born? Then what? Would you give up everything you had worked for, or dismiss important offers that could play a key part in advancing your career? He's worked in football since he himself was a teenager. What do you expect him to do given his career choice?

Great in theory, but it's nowhere near that simple. Again, he is a football manager, and given his pedigree and the lack of managerial opportunities out there, the likelihood of another job coming up with a club that wants him on board, in an area where he is able to do as you suggest is extremely slim. There has to be compromise somewhere.

Fair enough.

I happen to be strongly of the opinion that, in the long run, this arrangement will not work out for Hibs and as much as I sympathise with his personal situation and I also commend him for wanting to spend some quality time with his son every week, Hibs are the only thing that I am concerned about here.

A couple of people on here have been saying that he should be able to do what he wants on his day off. I personally don't think the most successful managers have days off, in the proper sense of the phrase at least.

Here's a quote from Roberto Martinez, from when he was Swansea manager;

"People say about having a day off. You should never have a day off. It's 24 hours a day."

From here http://www.buzzle.com/articles/250700.html.

If he's able to make a success of things at Hibs then I will accept that I am wrong about this.

Time will tell but I'm not encouraged.

Steve-O
17-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Fair enough.

I happen to be strongly of the opinion that, in the long run, this arrangement will not work out for Hibs and as much as I sympathise with his personal situation and I also commend him for wanting to spend some quality time with his son every week, Hibs are the only thing that I am concerned about here.

A couple of people on here have been saying that he should be able to do what he wants on his day off. I personally don't think the most successful managers have days off, in the proper sense of the phrase at least.

Here's a quote from Roberto Martinez, from when he was Swansea manager;

"People say about having a day off. You should never have a day off. It's 24 hours a day."

From here http://www.buzzle.com/articles/250700.html.

If he's able to make a success of things at Hibs then I will accept that I am wrong about this.

Time will tell but I'm not encouraged.

You think that Martinez never slept?

Pretty sure Calderwood will be contactable by phone whether he's on the golf course, in the car, or wherever. Not sure he HAS to be at his desk at ER 24/7.

spike220
17-01-2011, 06:56 AM

:top marks

spike220
17-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I loved the interview and was pleased there was enough there for us fans to easily read between the lines. He is set for the mother of all clear-outs in the summer and will do his upmost to keep us competitive and mid table this season. The man obviously has balls the size of water melons and CC is renowned for playing his cards carefully and very well.

I am behind CC 100%.

:flag:

bighairyfaeleith
17-01-2011, 07:53 AM
He's right, we are in a fight for a top six spot.

Unfortunately right now we are on the ground getting the **** kicked out of us by smallest kid in the class:take that

GreenCastle
17-01-2011, 09:39 AM
"What I certainly need is an example player, someone who can tackle. In the first game against Ayr one or two situations where we didn't come away with the ball were entirely unaccaptable. No matter how good a footballer you are, you must win your contacts, whether on the ground or in the air. At the moment some of the players think it's okay not to tackle. Well, there's only so much of that a guy like me can bear and it's definitely got to change."

This I liked best....He would have loved Matty Jack :boo hoo:

My favourite quote too - our midfield is poor. I like Ian Murray but just not a good enough midfielder.

He basically says in that interview that the players aren't good enough and has a small dig at the fans with the Nish and Zemmama comparisons but it's true.

I have said I think Adams may have more about him but I am willing to give CC till summer to fully judge....I just hope it's not too late and we are in Division 1.

The bit I didn't like was not admitting we are in a relegation battle - trying to stay positive yes - but facing up to reality - no. Maybe he doesn't stress this to players to make them care enough for the cause.

skipster7
17-01-2011, 10:02 AM
i laughed when he said we'ed burn the stand down if it was nish:greengrin

HibbyRod
17-01-2011, 10:33 AM
i laughed when he said we'ed burn the stand down if it was nish:greengrin

I liked the vision of a coal chute at East Mains. :greengrin

It'd certainly toughen the players up ..... albeit, probably a huge increase with hernias. :rolleyes:

GreenCastle
17-01-2011, 10:36 AM
So do Hibs every go in on Sundays after a bad performance Saturday?

If CC is driving down south every Sunday - which must be draining ?! Does he ever bring them in the day after a game ?

Greentinted
17-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Maybe I have a skewed concept of reality but do people seriously think anybody should eat, drink, breath and sleep their job at the expense of their families. Its easy to see who the kids are and who are parents on this thread. Deary me.

GreenCastle
17-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe I have a skewed concept of reality but do people seriously think anybody should eat, drink, breath and sleep their job at the expense of their families. Its easy to see who the kids are and who are parents on this thread. Deary me.

I don't think everyone is saying that - more so feeling sorry for him and wondering how it does it.

Whether it was a wise choice to take on a managers job when he has other things going on elsewhere.

Yes football isn't life or death but he is getting paid to do a job.

Compare this to some players / managers who go on international duty to foreign countries / or even Champions League games which are as far away as Russia. The Hibs coaching staff / players have it pretty easy regarding free time.

Phil D. Rolls
17-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Any evidence that his time with his son is having a detrimental effect on his performance? Lots of people work away from home and come back at weekends, as long as they are doing the job then they can do what they want.

smurf
17-01-2011, 10:56 AM
The comments on CC and his family dealings are ridiculous.

Greentinted
17-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't think everyone is saying that - more so feeling sorry for him and wondering how it does it.

Whether it was a wise choice to take on a managers job when he has other things going on elsewhere.

Compare this to some players / managers who go on international duty to foreign countries / or even Champions League games which are as far away as Russia. The Hibs coaching staff / players have it pretty easy regarding free time.

Aye, I'm in concurance with you here; free time is exactly that and spending it with family is, I would suggest, far more productive than hanging around the bookies or pissing about with X-Box, Facebook, etc. And of course, not everyone is suggesting he should be 100% absorbed in what he does to earn money - just those who appear to believe football dominates the number one spot on the priority list.

bawheid
17-01-2011, 11:04 AM
The comments on CC and his family dealings are ridiculous.

Quite, quite bizarre smurf. :agree:

But if you ever read the Holy Ground board you'll see a lot of bizarre stuff. :wink:

I would suggest (and I speak as a father who unfortunately sees his son only two days a week), that Calderwood spending time with his son will improve his own well-being and is likely to mean he's better equipped mentally to do the job.

Unreal.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Anyone even calling CC's actions into question needs to take a long, long hard look at themselves. As mentioned, it's easy to separate the parents from the childless in this thread.

I'm going through a break-up down here which is resulting in selling a house only 6 months after buying it (hence my inactivity on here for the past few months). Once it's sold I've got two choices, 1) Move back to Edinburgh, be amongst my mates, friends and family and have more money than I've ever had as well as getting my old job back and seeing my son once every 4/6 weeks. Or 2) Stay down here, with no friends, no family, no mates and face up to living in a studio/1 bedroom flat, scrimping and scraping every penny and seeing my son 3/4 days a week. It's an absolute no brainer.

Family is far more important than a job (especially your children) regardless of how well you are remunerated for it. Sometimes, it's even more important than putting your self first. I'd argue that CC getting away from his job for a day or so benefits him more than it doesn't, it gives him time to get away from it all and gather his thoughts.

Astonishing that this is even being debated.

Following his interview, I've got far more faith in him than I did before reading it.

silverhibee
17-01-2011, 12:14 PM
So do Hibs every go in on Sundays after a bad performance Saturday?

If CC is driving down south every Sunday - which must be draining ?! Does he ever bring them in the day after a game ?

Yes he does, i think under Yogi the players were allowed the next day off whatever the result, but under CC they are most of the time in the next day for a wee run down at EM.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2011, 01:07 PM
You think that Martinez never slept?

Pretty sure Calderwood will be contactable by phone whether he's on the golf course, in the car, or wherever. Not sure he HAS to be at his desk at ER 24/7.

Quite, quite bizarre smurf. :agree:

But if you ever read the Holy Ground board you'll see a lot of bizarre stuff. :wink:

I would suggest (and I speak as a father who unfortunately sees his son only two days a week), that Calderwood spending time with his son will improve his own well-being and is likely to mean he's better equipped mentally to do the job.

Unreal.

Anyone even calling CC's actions into question needs to take a long, long hard look at themselves. As mentioned, it's easy to separate the parents from the childless in this thread.

I'm going through a break-up down here which is resulting in selling a house only 6 months after buying it (hence my inactivity on here for the past few months). Once it's sold I've got two choices, 1) Move back to Edinburgh, be amongst my mates, friends and family and have more money than I've ever had as well as getting my old job back and seeing my son once every 4/6 weeks. Or 2) Stay down here, with no friends, no family, no mates and face up to living in a studio/1 bedroom flat, scrimping and scraping every penny and seeing my son 3/4 days a week. It's an absolute no brainer.

Family is far more important than a job (especially your children) regardless of how well you are remunerated for it. Sometimes, it's even more important than putting your self first. I'd argue that CC getting away from his job for a day or so benefits him more than it doesn't, it gives him time to get away from it all and gather his thoughts.

Astonishing that this is even being debated.

Following his interview, I've got far more faith in him than I did before reading it.

People are completely missing the point of what I'm saying. At no point have I said that he shouldn't be spending time with his son, in fact I have continually said quite the opposite. Spending time with family (children, in particular) is far more important than any job that anyone will ever have in their life. I really admire him for having the attitude that he has towards his family life.

I just don't think travelling down to London and then back up to Edinburgh every single weekend is a tenable situation in the long run, for Hibs or Colin Calderwood.

At the end of the day, he has a management position at a top Scottish football team and although, contrary to popular belief, I don't expect him to "eat, drink, breathe and sleep football", his job involves a lot more than just turning up on a match day, sitting in a dugout for 90 minutes and watching a match, before going home to put the feet up and watch the TV.

Does anyone on here hold a management position at their work? If so, I would be surprised if they just work a normal 9-5 day, five days a week. There are lots of other things that you are responsible for, if you hold such a position.

On "days off", managers should be viewing footage of the previous match reflecting on what went right/wrong and what can be done better in the future, reviewing the next opponent (going to watch them live, if possible), during transfer windows they should be going to watch potential signings and also speaking to the other coaches within the club to get their opinions and ideas on what should be happening.

:agree: Correct. I'm glad someone has seen where I'm coming from.

That's exactly what I've been saying.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say on this subject so unless there's something major that comes up, I'm out of this one.

We'll just have to wait and see what the end result is with this one, however I won't be surprised to read about Calderwood leaving Hibs "to spend some time with his family", in the not too distant future.

Greentinted
17-01-2011, 02:01 PM
People are completely missing the point of what I'm saying. At no point have I said that he shouldn't be spending time with his son, in fact I have continually said quite the opposite. Spending time with family (children, in particular) is far more important than any job that anyone will ever have in their life. I really admire him for having the attitude that he has towards his family life.

I just don't think travelling down to London and then back up to Edinburgh every single weekend is a tenable situation in the long run, for Hibs or Colin Calderwood.

At the end of the day, he has a management position at a top Scottish football team and although, contrary to popular belief, I don't expect him to "eat, drink, breathe and sleep football", his job involves a lot more than just turning up on a match day, sitting in a dugout for 90 minutes and watching a match, before going home to put the feet up and watch the TV.

Does anyone on here hold a management position at their work? If so, I would be surprised if they just work a normal 9-5 day, five days a week. There are lots of other things that you are responsible for, if you hold such a position.

On "days off", managers should be viewing footage of the previous match reflecting on what went right/wrong and what can be done better in the future, reviewing the next opponent (going to watch them live, if possible), during transfer windows they should be going to watch potential signings and also speaking to the other coaches within the club to get their opinions and ideas on what should be happening.

:agree: Correct. I'm glad someone has seen where I'm coming from.

That's exactly what I've been saying.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say on this subject so unless there's something major that comes up, I'm out of this one.

We'll just have to wait and see what the end result is with this one, however I won't be surprised to read about Calderwood leaving Hibs "to spend some time with his family", in the not too distant future.

FH, I enjoy reading your posts, whilst opinion orientated, you're always courteous and tolerant and of course eloquent and in this case while I disagree am able to see where you're coming from.
The main thing that I would take issue with is your interpretation of the phrase 'day off'. A day off is, well, a day off. Not a day where you should be immersing yourself in the work you should do on your 'days on' - that's kinda the point of a day off, no?
Anyway, is there no some tennis you should be reporting on? That's yer prime forte young man. :greengrin