PDA

View Full Version : Collective responsibility?

Hibbyradge
16-01-2011, 11:19 AM
We're millions of pounds in debt but loads of folk want Hibs to spend more to get players, good players and get them now.

What would happen if Hibs borrowed some cash and upped the price of admittance to pay for it? Say by £2.00 a game or £35 a season ticket.

That way we'd all be playing our part.

Sound like a plan?

Expecting Rain
16-01-2011, 11:26 AM
We're millions of pounds in debt but loads of folk want Hibs to spend more to get players, good players and get them now.

What would happen if Hibs borrowed some cash and upped the price of admittance to pay for it? Say by £2.00 a game or £35 a season ticket.

Sound like a plan?

In a different time and better circumstances that wouldn`t be a bad idea, the game is vastly overpriced as it is, the title of the post collective responsibility suggests that the coaching staff work as hard as they can to address the present slump, the players endeavour to be the best they can be regardless of their standard and future situations, the fans doing their bit by drawing back on their criticism in order to let the club breathe, hostility won`t motivate anybody at the club.

Spike Mandela
16-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Sound like a plan?

So we've to wait until completely debt free until we can spend some money?

Let's just let things trundle along and do nothing. Let's see where that gets us.

Baldy Foghorn
16-01-2011, 11:34 AM
It is chicken and egg stuff.

It will be interesting to see next set of accounts, because in previous year's player sales have helped the bottom line remarkably, but this year that wont happen....

But can the Board afford to not invest in the playing side and potentially see the club relegated?

Very worrying times indeed.

The players have no passion or pride for this great club.......Do the Board???

J-C
16-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, get rid of the 10-14 football thieves at ER and use their wages to bring 5-6 decent quality players added to the half decent ones we're keeping and then add a few of the youngsters.

1two
16-01-2011, 11:42 AM
How much will relegation cost hibs?
Worth spending a bit cash for 6 months on loan deals for some quality players? I would say so!

Hibbyradge
16-01-2011, 11:44 AM
So we've to wait until completely debt free until we can spend some money?

Let's just let things trundle along and do nothing. Let's see where that gets us.

I assume you're being sarcastic.

Of course we can't wait till we're debt free and we haven't. We lost £2m last year.

My suggestion is for the fans to contribute more towards what we all want.

If we borrow, we have to pay a lot more back.

If we borrow, and it doesn't work, we have debt to pay back and no return. What then? More borrowing? When does it stop? What happens when it does stop?

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-01-2011, 12:01 PM
look at the league table today. Jousting with teams like Accies and Saints who pull in about 7000 less fans per game. 9 points behind Well who play in front of what would be crisis crowds for us. What are we not doing that they are doing?

southern hibby
16-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I really do feel HIBS could spend in this transfer window and the next approx 1 and a half to 2 million on 5 or 6 young players who the manager feels could do a job and then re coop Hibs the money back when we sell them.

I understand this is a lot but if we manage to get a few good players the results would come and the fans would (Probably) attend more games. A WIN, WIN situation in my eyes.

We could do it just up to a max of x amount of pounds and if it didn't work then at least the board could say that they have tried.

If we buy 5 or 6 players at £200,00 to £300,000 we would have the backbone of a potentially very good team and hopefully the other places could be with frees or youth development.
There is only 1 way to find out and in my eyes it's, nothing ventured nothing gained.

GGTTH

jdships
16-01-2011, 12:18 PM
look at the league table today. Jousting with teams like Accies and Saints who pull in about 7000 less fans per game. 9 points behind Well who play in front of what would be crisis crowds for us. What are we not doing that they are doing?

That my friend is truely the $64000 question :thumbsup:

:confused::flag:

Spike Mandela
16-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Of course we can't wait till we're debt free and we haven't. We lost £2m last year.

If we borrow, and it doesn't work, we have debt to pay back and no return. What then? More borrowing? When does it stop? What happens when it does stop?

Here we go again! The slightest mention of spending a bit more money than normal and it's financial armageddon. Nobody is suggesting year on year overspend but I would suggest our current predicament would indicate action is needed.

If we choose to do nothing, save the pennies, relegation could be a real possibility . Yes we could still spend and fail but I would suggest it is time the board and the management team do their job and get it right.

As for the supporters paying more, well I actually pay more for my season ticket than some of my Old Firm supporting friends. I think we already pay top dollar for a low budget product.

Perhaps the board need to reflect on their decision and timing of funding a new white elephant stand when we could all see the real part of our club that was crumbling was the team on the park.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2011, 01:26 PM
How much will relegation cost hibs?
Worth spending a bit cash for 6 months on loan deals for some quality players? I would say so!

:agree: Yep.

Relegation is completely unthinkable for a club like Hibs but if it happens, it will cost the club a lot more than if we spend a bit of money now and bring in 3 or 4 quality players to keep us up.

We are in a complete mess at the moment but the one thing that simply cannot happen is Hibs getting relegated. That would just have dire consequences for the entire club.

smurf
16-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Sound like a plan?

Are we millions of pounds in 'debt'?

If we are then most homeowners have hundreds of thousands of pounds of 'debts'

Ed De Gramo
16-01-2011, 04:15 PM
It is chicken and egg stuff.

It will be interesting to see next set of accounts, because in previous year's player sales have helped the bottom line remarkably, but this year that wont happen....

But can the Board afford to not invest in the playing side and potentially see the club relegated?

Very worrying times indeed.

The players have no passion or pride for this great club.......Do the Board???

The bit in bold is exactly my thoughts :agree::agree::top marks

Bunch of chicken hearted mercenaries

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd pay more, as long as none of what i paid gave any of this lot a penny extra.

--------
16-01-2011, 04:42 PM

This would be assuming that all the fans have a high level of confidence in the present custodians of the club?

Unfortunately, custodians are what we DON'T have. OWNERS is what we have - Farmer and Petrie - and the idea of giving THEM even more of my hard-earned cash than I have already seems strangely unattractive right now.

lord bunberry
16-01-2011, 04:47 PM
one thing is for certain if we dont spend there is every chance we will go down or come very close to it the gamble for me is not spending enough and hoping everything will be alright

Dirkster23
16-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Are we millions of pounds in 'debt'? Yes

If we are then most homeowners have hundreds of thousands of pounds of 'debts' I'd guess it's more tens of thousands

:agree:

smurf
16-01-2011, 06:04 PM
:agree:

No, the average mortgage in the edinburgh area is above 100K.

The majority of our debt is on our home.

Sir Tom told me and a few others that we shouldn't really regard it as 'debt'.

And that was late 2003 when our 'debts' were a lot higher than today.

lapsedhibee
16-01-2011, 06:13 PM
No, the average mortgage in the edinburgh area is above 100K.
Still, it would be misleading to describe £105,000 as 'hundreds of thousands'. Tens of thousands, yes.

Sir Tom told me and a few others that we shouldn't really regard it as 'debt'.
If he did, he's a blether. And, by the way, the company he grew to fame, Kwikfit, has a similarly vague relationship with the truth.

ancient hibee
16-01-2011, 06:25 PM
This borrowing-where exactly is it going to come from?

PaulSmith
16-01-2011, 07:00 PM
This borrowing-where exactly is it going to come from?

The same place that we all borrow money at, the bank at a commercial interest rate

ancient hibee
16-01-2011, 07:20 PM
The same place that we all borrow money at, the bank at a commercial interest rate
You must inhabit some parallel universe if you think a bank wants to lend any more money to a football club.

discman
16-01-2011, 07:36 PM
You must inhabit some parallel universe if you think a bank wants to lend any more money to a football club.

You are kidding right? Tom Farmer worth approx £130 mill and can see the banks knocking him back, heres a thought our current debt is almost £6 million.

This is made up of two mortgages 1) £2.5 million which has to paid of in a "oner" in 2020. The second mortgage is £3.28 million variable rate,this is serviced at £20,000 a month.........So we beg,desperate times call for desperate measures, and ask TF to clear the £3.28 million and that frees up the £20000 a month for players wages!

So what we really need is a really really good begging letter and were sorted :greengrin

Steve-O
17-01-2011, 07:01 AM

Sound like a plan?

They've already raised the prices to ridiculous levels, all the while cutting the transfer/wage budget.

So, no, doesn't sound like a plan.

Beefster
17-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Sound like a plan?

If the Board come up with innovative ideas on how to increase turnover and detailed plans of how they will use the cash, I'll happily spend more.

If they continue to take us for granted and fall back on us as the only way to take in more money, I probably won't give up my ST but I won't go out of my way to help with more of my hard-earned.

khib70
17-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Sound like a plan?
I've heard it all now.

Basically you're conceding that we do actually need to spend to bring in better players. However, you want the fans to pay for it. These are the same fans already being overcharged for a mediocre product. The same fans that are voting with their feet and staying away from the ground.

Our "millions" of debt are serviceable, given that it relates to contracted mortgage agreements, and they are backed by STF's considerable net worth. It should be perfectly possible to borrow sufficient funds through normal commercial channels, and service it through increased turnover.

Once again, no one is suggesting running up the kind of monster debt that the pink mob have, or splashing millions on high-profile signings. We need to do what has to be done to avoid relegation, which as several other posters have pointed out, means a massive financial hit. And if we do go down, there will be no Sauzees and Latapys to help us breeze Div 1. It's a hard league to get out of, and the financial implications of even one season down there are far more horrible than those involved in a modest increase in the player budget now.

Cropley10
17-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I've heard it all now.

Basically you're conceding that we do actually need to spend to bring in better players. However, you want the fans to pay for it. These are the same fans already being overcharged for a mediocre product. The same fans that are voting with their feet and staying away from the ground.

Our "millions" of debt are serviceable, given that it relates to contracted mortgage agreements, and they are backed by STF's considerable net worth. It should be perfectly possible to borrow sufficient funds through normal commercial channels, and service it through increased turnover.

Once again, no one is suggesting running up the kind of monster debt that the pink mob have, or splashing millions on high-profile signings. We need to do what has to be done to avoid relegation, which as several other posters have pointed out, means a massive financial hit. And if we do go down, there will be no Sauzees and Latapys to help us breeze Div 1. It's a hard league to get out of, and the financial implications of even one season down there are far more horrible than those involved in a modest increase in the player budget now.

I completely agree. A stitch in time saves nine.