PDA

View Full Version : Doing the basics....not having players on posts at corners etc

GreenCastle
16-01-2011, 12:13 AM
If we don't do the basics we are going to continue with this form.

Compete for every ball.

Limit bad passes in dangerous areas - in our own half (central areas).

Goal kicks - Brown has been improving - but kicking the ball out is a total waste every time.

Players on posts at corners ? What is this with Stevenson today drifting between the posts - possibly would have stopped Stokes 2nd goal if we had two players on the posts.

Midfield players getting tight to their opponents - Ian Murray (die hard Hibee and gives his all but is too far away too often and when gets the ball just isn't comfortable on it, meaning we give it away and have to chase to get it back).

De Graff - useless - similar to above but gives too many fouls away.

If we are going to play long ball - get a forward up there who may win a header or at least try - Riordan isn't that lone forward unless he has quality feeding him the balls on the ground.

Not only are we a poor team we make it easy for teams to beat us by giving away cheap goals and constantly put ourselves under pressure.

For me CC to step down and Adams to take over as the main man.

YetholmHibee
16-01-2011, 12:19 AM

Compete for every ball.

Goal kicks - Brown has been improving - but kicking the ball out is a total waste every time.

Players on posts at corners ? What is this with Stevenson today drifting between the posts - possibly would have stopped Stokes 2nd goal if we had two players on the posts.Midfield players getting tight to their opponents - Ian Murray (die hard Hibee and gives his all but is too far away too often and when gets the ball just isn't comfortable on it, meaning we give it away and have to chase to get it back).

If we are going to play long ball - get a forward up there who may win a header or at least try - Riordan isn't that lone forward unless he has quality feeding him the balls on the ground.

Not only are we a poor team we make it easy for teams to beat us by giving away cheap goals and constantly put ourselves under pressure.

Totally disagree with ya

Steve-O
16-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Don't forget having about 6 players outside the box for our OWN corners :brickwall

Beefster
16-01-2011, 07:42 AM
We're terrible at throw-ins and set-pieces too. A throw-in for us is effectively a loss of possession and does Riordan, Zemmama, Rankin or Galbraith ever get corners past the first defender?

DH1875
16-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Compete for every ball.

Players on posts at corners ? What is this with Stevenson today drifting between the posts - possibly would have stopped Stokes 2nd goal if we had two players on the posts.

Midfield players getting tight to their opponents - Ian Murray (die hard Hibee and gives his all but is too far away too often and when gets the ball just isn't comfortable on it, meaning we give it away and have to chase to get it back).

Don't forget having about 6 players outside the box for our OWN corners :brickwall

We're terrible at throw-ins and set-pieces too. A throw-in for us is effectively a loss of possession and does Riordan, Zemmama, Rankin or Galbraith ever get corners past the first defender?

Didn't you guys know. It's ALL Yogi's fault :sairhead:.

GreenCastle
16-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Totally disagree with ya

Ok explain ?

A player on that post would have headed it away ? :confused:

Stevenson hovers behind the keeper then usually goes to the back ?

I've never seen a team have a player drift around the line like that with any team ?

Reaper
16-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Compete for every ball.

Oh dear!

GreenCastle
16-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh dear!

Think he has more character than CC.

Not a big name but if you saw the 2 of them yesterday Adams was the one constantly speaking and talking tactics - CC looked sadly clueless and lost.

Beefster
16-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Think he has more character than CC.

Not a big name but if you saw the 2 of them yesterday Adams was the one constantly speaking and talking tactics - CC looked sadly clueless and lost.

So you want someone with less experience than Calderwood to take over because he shouts more than Calderwood during the game?

The boy behind me in the East Stand shouts more than anyone. I wonder if he fancies the gig.

GreenCastle
16-01-2011, 08:51 PM
So you want someone with less experience than Calderwood to take over because he shouts more than Calderwood during the game?

The boy behind me in the East Stand shouts more than anyone. I wonder if he fancies the gig.

Less experience maybe but more knowledge maybe ?

99% of what I hear in the East I ignore so no I wouldn't recommend the boy behind you.

It's not the main problem we are losing but a small show of emotion would maybe inspire our deadwood.

I was just watching Match of the Day and seeing Owen Coyle at 2v0 down still encouraging his team in a positive manner.

I don't want CC to jump around like Benitez used to do at Liverpool just to get a reaction and try and impress the crowd... but some emotion / more encouragement would help.

Body language is a big thing

I saw Adams giving CC instructions and feel that he could be the man to get Hibs out of this mess - think he showed with Ross County he could improve us.

JimBHibees
17-01-2011, 08:43 AM

:faf::faf:

truehibernian
17-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Last season and this I posted about Hibs' complete lack of concentration, positioning and possession from throw-in's.

This should always be regarded as a set piece no matter where you are on the pitch. Hibs all too often, nearly every time in fact, concede cheap possession from throw-in's. They regularly fail to even find a green shirt. When they do it is usually a heavy touch back to the thrower. Every other side in the SPL has players who can mix this up, long throw, short throw. We seem to aimlessly throw the ball down the line when there are no other options. The movement is atrocious but it is surely something that can be coached and looked at in detail in training.

On Saturday the possession in midfield made me weep. Time and time again we lost easy possession and never chased. harried or closed down space to win it back. We canter and jog back into position......why ? Because we are a team of unfit footballers.

I spoke with a guy yesterday who had been invited to watch Barca train, and apparently the day before games they do no ball work. The reason being (apparently) is that because they are all so technically proficient with the ball, they concentrate on core fitness and speed just prior to the game.

Can you ever imagine Hibs doing that.........how long would it take for our players to be as technically sound with the ball at their feet :greengrin

Vini1875
17-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Last season and this I posted about Hibs' complete lack of concentration, positioning and possession from throw-in's.

This should always be regarded as a set piece no matter where you are on the pitch. Hibs all too often, nearly every time in fact, concede cheap possession from throw-in's. They regularly fail to even find a green shirt. When they do it is usually a heavy touch back to the thrower. Every other side in the SPL has players who can mix this up, long throw, short throw. We seem to aimlessly throw the ball down the line when there are no other options. The movement is atrocious but it is surely something that can be coached and looked at in detail in training.

On Saturday the possession in midfield made me weep. Time and time again we lost easy possession and never chased. harried or closed down space to win it back. We canter and jog back into position......why ? Because we are a team of unfit footballers.

[B]]I spoke with a guy yesterday who had been invited to watch Barca train, and apparently the day before games they do no ball work. The reason being (apparently) is that because they are all so technically proficient with the ball, they concentrate on core fitness and speed just prior to the game.

Can you ever imagine Hibs doing that.........how long would it take for our players to be as technically sound with the ball at their feet[\B] :greengrin

The problem though is, can the first team players get out of their old habits? I doubt it. To be very good technically would mean having the young boys (U12s) schooled, which would mean having some sort of system that taught them how and kept on drilling them and having them practice those drills.

I think the entire system at Hibs needs to overhauled, we need to be bringing through more youth players and looking at clubs who have very successful youth systems. I think the guys that do handle the youth teams are good, but it needs to be a place where put more investment.

truehibernian
17-01-2011, 09:24 AM
The problem though is, can the first team players get out of their old habits? I doubt it. To be very good technically would mean having the young boys (U12s) schooled, which would mean having some sort of system that taught them how and kept on drilling them and having them practice those drills.

I think the entire system at Hibs needs to overhauled, we need to be bringing through more youth players and looking at clubs who have very successful youth systems. I think the guys that do handle the youth teams are good, but it needs to be a place where put more investment.

100% agree with everything you say.

The problem the senior players have is that they are so used to losing games/goals, it is difficult for any manager to get into their heads and change the mindset.

Youth football - again, totally agree and it has been a bug bear of mine for years that at juvenile level there is even now an emphasis on height, strength and braun at the expense of skill and technique. Yes we have introduced smaller pitches, 7 a-sides, etc etc. But the coaching is poor across the board.

Even the African countries are ahead of us in coaching techniques as they are employing and out-sourcing their coaching from France, Spain, Croatia etc. That said, these kids don't have the distractions of facebook, Wii, Playstations and alcohol - the whole sporting culture has to change and it is the one thing I agreed fully with John Hughes on. Until there is a society change in Scotland we will always see promising youngsters drift away from the game or indeed not progress......it is very much still a drinking, George Street, Ladbrokes, golf course culture in football.

GreenCastle
17-01-2011, 09:34 AM
100% agree with everything you say.

The problem the senior players have is that they are so used to losing games/goals, it is difficult for any manager to get into their heads and change the mindset.

Youth football - again, totally agree and it has been a bug bear of mine for years that at juvenile level there is even now an emphasis on height, strength and braun at the expense of skill and technique. Yes we have introduced smaller pitches, 7 a-sides, etc etc. But the coaching is poor across the board.

Even the African countries are ahead of us in coaching techniques as they are employing and out-sourcing their coaching from France, Spain, Croatia etc. That said, these kids don't have the distractions of facebook, Wii, Playstations and alcohol - the whole sporting culture has to change and it is the one thing I agreed fully with John Hughes on. Until there is a society change in Scotland we will always see promising youngsters drift away from the game or indeed not progress......it is very much still a drinking, George Street, Ladbrokes, golf course culture in football.

:agree:

You talk about players lacking fitness - I agree with this. This has been an issue since Collins - but basically the players didn't like his fitness regime and went in a huff.

The issue is though players like Murray aren't technically good enough on the ball and aren't going to get better at his age.

De Graff was missing in action which doesn't help either.

If you watch the game and throw in's - you are right - no imagination and constantly turn the ball over.

If we did the basics on the pitch then that would improve this dire situation to some degree.

GreenCastle
22-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Compete for every ball.

Defending Freekicks today...

Another goal lost from a corner..

Scoring penalties ? !!

It's not rocket science :wink:

Helps picking a GK who actually knows what he is doing also.. :rolleyes: