PDA

View Full Version : Riordan's Contract

The_Sauz
15-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Does anybody know if he has a "Must Be In Starting Eleven" in his contract?
The reason I ask is, the one game he did not start or even play in, was at Ibrox when we saw a performance from a team that can't pass or even tackle when he is playing, look like the were at the top of the league and playing with confidence :confused:

Sammy7nil
15-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I have read the contract and the answer is No.

However he has scored over 100 goals for Hibs the options if had not played were Trakys and Nish I hope this helps resolve the matter.

Big90inOz
16-01-2011, 08:49 AM
The reason I ask is, the one game he did not start or even play in, was at Ibrox when we saw a performance from a team that can't pass or even tackle when he is playing, look like the were at the top of the league and playing with confidence :confused:

I agree to a certain extent.

He can produce a goal out of nothing but offers very little else. Good player to have in a good side, however we are not a good side and he isn't offering enough.

Winston Ingram
16-01-2011, 08:56 AM

I cannot for the life of me understand how he's in the team at the moment. Yesterday he was just appalling. Which to be fair is just slightly below most of his performances this season:agree:

Vini1875
16-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I wish people would stop talking about the huns game. From the look of this whole team and not just DR that night was a fluke. One player does not make or ruin a team if the team has any passion and grit in it.

I'm not defending Deek's performances but you can't be serious if you think his inclusion is at the root of our problems.

Barney McGrew
16-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I cannot for the life of me understand how he's in the team at the moment. Yesterday he was just appalling. Which to be fair is just slightly below most of his performances this season:agree:

On his current form, he's lucky we don't have any other real striking options, or he wouldn't be starting.

djs69
16-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Give the guy a break..he is the only talented striker at the club, the only goalscorer, who has banged in so many crackers for us over the years and has consistently been top scorer or second top each season....he worked his socks off yesterday, and maybe things didn't come off for him, but this is the worst hibs team he has played in. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave. Too many fans now making him the scapegoat....get a grip

degenerated
16-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Give the guy a break..he is the only talented striker at the club, the only goalscorer, who has banged in so many crackers for us over the years and has consistently been top scorer or second top each season....he worked his socks off yesterday, and maybe things didn't come off for him, but this is the worst hibs team he has played in. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave. Too many fans now making him the scapegoat....get a grip

it must of been in a brian kerr style cause i sure as hell didn't notice it

Hibbyradge
16-01-2011, 11:37 AM
It would be a pity, but if Hibs receive an offer for him, they'd be mental not to accept it as long as we can get a replacement in.

I'm convinced he'll walk away for nothing again at the end of the season anyway and frankly, he's not the type of player we need in a relegation battle.

He used to be able to score goals out of "nothing", maybe he still can, but at the moment we need players to create the "nothing", to scrap for every ball and to put themselves in when the odds are against them.

An incident in the first half summed it up for me. The ball was half cleared just outside the box to our left and it needed attacked and heading back across goal.

Instead of challenging for the ball in the air, Derek bottled out and tried some sort of girly high kick to control it, failed, and gave away a foul. Woeful and embarrassing.

Having said all of that, I think we started to get a better contribution from him when Byrne came on to partner Duffy up front and Deek moved to the left.

If we start using him like that again, maybe a new contract offer would be worth considering, but not at the moment.

In my opinion.

Baldy Foghorn
16-01-2011, 11:39 AM
On his current form, he's lucky we don't have any other real striking options, or he wouldn't be starting.

Look at his last 3 games, done the square root of the centre of a doughnut.....

He is lucky to be starting but as you say we have nothing else.... After Duffy scoring 2 at Newcastle, and you would think confidence high, why was he not in starting 11 yesterday, beats me?

Golden Bear
16-01-2011, 11:45 AM

He is lucky to be starting but as you say we have nothing else.... After Duffy scoring 2 at Newcastle, and you would think confidence high, why was he not in starting 11 yesterday, beats me?

:agree:

Taz_hibee
16-01-2011, 11:48 AM
IMO Deek is not the problem, he is never a lone striker/target man & our midfield has no one in it who can create a chance for our forwards.
I would drop him back into wide left & start with DD & KB up front against Ayr where he can either create chances for the 2 forwards or even get one of his trademark shots from the edge of the box where he has more room to do his thing

Winston Ingram
16-01-2011, 12:40 PM

:confused:

I'd love to see his Opta stats yesterday. I doubt he clocked up more yards than either of the keepers

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 12:48 PM

:agree::confused:

DH1875
16-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I wish people would stop talking about the huns game. From the look of this whole team and not just DR that night was a fluke. One player does not make or ruin a team if the team has any passion and grit in it.

I'm not defending Deek's performances but you can't be serious if you think his inclusion is at the root of our problems.

I agree. If you go with Ibrox argument then Rankin should be playing every week (he was our best player that night) and we know how highly regarded he is on here.

PeterboroHibee
16-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Im not the biggest fan of Riordan, never have been really. He is capable of some top class goals, but when things arent going our way, I just dont see what he offers; yes he has improved his work rate recently, but still isnt anywhere near enough.

Dont think yesterday was his fault though, CC got it all wrong, playing him and Zemmama up top and then hoofing it up to them was nonsense, was never, ever going to work. If thats the sort of football he wants to play then hes going to have to use a target man (Trakys) or someone whos going to chase down every ball.

Fife-Hibee
16-01-2011, 01:08 PM
IMO Deek is not the problem, he is never a lone striker/target man & our midfield has no one in it who can create a chance for our forwards.
I would drop him back into wide left & start with DD & KB up front against Ayr where he can either create chances for the 2 forwards or even get one of his trademark shots from the edge of the box where he has more room to do his thing

Yeah' deffo :agree:

GreenGiant1875
16-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Not the sort of player who needs to (or should) be running all over the pitch, and is not a lone striker! Has to be playing off another striker.

The_Sauz
16-01-2011, 01:53 PM

And to come to that conclusion....it was a FLUKE?
Have you seen that same team play together again?

If you look at the current set-up in the hibs team, all the play revolves around DR, now that is fine if he was a play maker, but that he is certainly not!

I get fed up coming on here and hearing how DR is a Hibby and has scored 100 goals for hibs...so what!
Right now I would like to see 11 team players on the pitch, giving there all and fighting for each other, plus giving each other so encouragement when a misplaced pass goes astray , and not moan and bitch every time you don't get a ball at your feet.
Playing DR as an attacking LM is probably his best position, but he has to learn to come back to help the LB, who he need to come forward to draw players away from him! Now the down side of him playing in that position.....he is so predictable!

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 01:59 PM

If you look at the current set-up in the hibs team, all the play revolves around DR, now that is fine if he was a play maker, but that he is certainly not!

I get fed up coming on here and hearing how DR is a Hibby and has scored 100 goals for hibs...so what!
Right now I would like to see 11 team players on the pitch, giving there all and fighting for each other, plus giving each other so encouragement when a misplaced pass goes astray , and not moan and bitch every time you don't get a ball at your feet.
Playing DR as an attacking LM is probably his best position, but he has to learn to come back to help the LB, who he need to come forward to draw players away from him! Now the down side of him playing in that position.....he is so predictable!

Where exactly are we going to get those 11 players, as they sure as hell aint at the club at this moment in time?

The_Sauz
16-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Where exactly are we going to get those 11 players, as they sure as hell aint at the club at this moment in time?
That my friend is very true :wink: and that is why (like many more Hibs fans) can't understand how we went to Ibrox and played like a real football team. Ok rangers did not play well, but that was down to us making them look bad with our movement off the ball and getting stuck in.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 02:24 PM
That my friend is very true :wink: and that is why (like many more Hibs fans) can't understand how we went to Ibrox and played like a real football team. Ok rangers did not play well, but that was down to us making them look bad with our movement off the ball and getting stuck in.

It was a complete fluke imo. I'd take another on Tuesday night as well please. :pray:

silverhibee
16-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Im not the biggest fan of Riordan, never have been really. He is capable of some top class goals, but when things arent going our way, I just dont see what he offers; yes he has improved his work rate recently, but still isnt anywhere near enough.

Dont think yesterday was his fault though, CC got it all wrong, playing him and Zemmama up top and then hoofing it up to them was nonsense, was never, ever going to work. If thats the sort of football he wants to play then hes going to have to use a target man (Trakys) or someone whos going to chase down every ball.

What is happening with Trakys, is he fit or injured, wasn't even on the bench yesterday, it was so obvious that wee needed some height upfront yesterday, why do wee have Nish on the bench and dont use him.

ScottB
16-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Perhaps the constant changing of the side hasn't helped? After that result I'd have seen that 11 as worthy of being given a constant run, regardless of DR's absence.

The_Sauz
16-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I have read the contract and the answer is No.

However he has scored over 100 goals for Hibs the options if had not played were Trakys and Nish I hope this helps resolve the matter.
So you must be a close family friend or a relation to him then, or does he just show off his contract to anybody!
And you forgot about Byrne & Duffy :wink:

Eaststand
16-01-2011, 03:06 PM

We all agree that Riordan has lots of ability. I reckon it's a crime that he has all that ability but puts zero effort into anything that he thinks isn't for him. He's defo not a team player, and despite his undoubted talent, he's a luxury that we cannot afford.
We all have our opinions about who is a player and who aint, that's fitba...but try watching the petulant attitude that Riordan dishes out when he doesn't get the ball EXACTLY as he would have liked...it pathetic at times, and is very bad for team moral.
We would miss some of his goals, but lots of other teams seem to have no problem scoring goals without him in their team, so I've every confidence that if he does leave ER we would find a replacement who knows how to play the team game

GGTTH

JimBHibees
16-01-2011, 07:21 PM
It would be a pity, but if Hibs receive an offer for him, they'd be mental not to accept it as long as we can get a replacement in.

I'm convinced he'll walk away for nothing again at the end of the season anyway and frankly, he's not the type of player we need in a relegation battle.

He used to be able to score goals out of "nothing", maybe he still can, but at the moment we need players to create the "nothing", to scrap for every ball and to put themselves in when the odds are against them.

An incident in the first half summed it up for me. The ball was half cleared just outside the box to our left and it needed attacked and heading back across goal.

Instead of challenging for the ball in the air, Derek bottled out and tried some sort of girly high kick to control it, failed, and gave away a foul. Woeful and embarrassing.

Having said all of that, I think we started to get a better contribution from him when Byrne came on to partner Duffy up front and Deek moved to the left.

If we start using him like that again, maybe a new contract offer would be worth considering, but not at the moment.

In my opinion.

Tend to agree although the player needs to want to go if an offer come in.

Alfred E Newman
16-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Do you mean humping high balls down the middle like yesterday?

Winston Ingram
17-01-2011, 12:04 PM

If Colin Nish put in a performance liked that he would have been lynched:agree:

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2011, 12:07 PM
If Colin Nish put in a performance liked that he would have been lynched:agree:

He does, almost every time he pulls a strip on.

Purehibee_MYB
17-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I haven't read through the other posts, but riordan also played in the good performance against motherwell... just saying.

happiehibbie
17-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I dont agree with the grief deek is getting i thought he chased and harried a lot on Saturday. I understand that he does not put a lot into the game but get the ball to him in the box and his magic happens. we need player who can think on his level read the game the way he does remember its a team game no ONE can do it alone

What is with Zemmama wanting to take the free kicks I dont think the ability of DEEK should be questioned by Zemmama everytime there is a free kick in the danger area.

On a player coming in we really need four not one

GreenPJ
17-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I dont agree with the grief deek is getting i thought he chased and harried a lot on Saturday. I understand that he does not put a lot into the game but get the ball to him in the box and his magic happens. we need player who can think on his level read the game the way he does remember its a team game no ONE can do it alone

What is with Zemmama wanting to take the free kicks I dont think the ability of DEEK should be questioned by Zemmama everytime there is a free kick in the danger area.
On a player coming in we really need four not one

What is with Deek questioning Zemmama's ability to take free kicks? Deek had one in the first half that went way over, Zemmama had one in the second half that was on target until the defender knocked it over for a corner.

scoopyboy
17-01-2011, 12:37 PM
What is happening with Trakys, is he fit or injured, wasn't even on the bench yesterday, it was so obvious that wee needed some height upfront yesterday, why do wee have Nish on the bench and dont use him.

He will never be fit in the true sense of the word.

More gash than injured is my understanding.

silverhibee
17-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Did Yogi not leave him out of the starting eleven last season when wee went to ibrox and got beat 3-0 and at the PBS where he was left on the bench, cant remember the score but wee got beat that game as well.
DR does not pick himself, the manager has that job of picking the team and more often than not Yogi and CC have played DR, yes DRs form has not been the best of lately, but thats what i put it down to, a dip in form and not got the greatest of confidence just now.

Sammy7nil
17-01-2011, 12:39 PM
What is with Deek questioning Zemmama's ability to take free kicks? Deek had one in the first half that went way over, Zemmama had one in the second half that was on target until the defender knocked it over for a corner.

lets be honest Deek is beeter than Zemmama at dead balls proved over a 5 yr period. If the ball is 30yds out Zouma not sure to reach the goal and ceartainly lacks power.

Bad Martini
17-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Riordan isn't the worst player we have in the team.

The same complaints and more levelled against him, can be levelled against every other player in our team right now, save for Brown in goals who has been doing VERY well.

Should we just play 1 man in our team perhaps? Just Brown versus the opposition?

Load of pish. Riordan is seeing none of the ball. When we get some decent play and chances (Nish against Hearts for example) its squandered. Add to that Riordan HIMSELF isn't playing too well and we're ****ed.

The truth is, some folk are still looking for a scapegoat on the pitch BUT, we cannot blame Riordan for the fact the team is sheite and from our goals for tally, without him, we'd already be second bottom or bottom. Fact.

They have ALL been sheite, bar Brown of late. Simple!

happiehibbie
17-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Riordan isn't the worst player we have in the team.

The same complaints and more levelled against him, can be levelled against every other player in our team right now, save for Brown in goals who has been doing VERY well.

Should we just play 1 man in our team perhaps? Just Brown versus the opposition?

Load of pish. Riordan is seeing none of the ball. When we get some decent play and chances (Nish against Hearts for example) its squandered. Add to that Riordan HIMSELF isn't playing too well and we're ****ed.

The truth is, some folk are still looking for a scapegoat on the pitch BUT, we cannot blame Riordan for the fact the team is sheite and from our goals for tally, without him, we'd already be second bottom or bottom. Fact.

They have ALL been sheite, bar Brown of late. Simple!

yes i agree however browns kicking is not the best but he is the best goalie we have had in ages

Speedy
17-01-2011, 02:20 PM
It's strange how Deek often gets criticised on here but then Levein gets pelters whenever he doesn't pick Deek for the Scotland squad. :hmmm:

Captain Trips
17-01-2011, 02:45 PM
You could insert any players name into this thread really. Jusr about every player at Hibs is not doing what they should be either due to ability or lack of interest. DR has certainly not been at his best but so have several others who have never even really contributed to Hibs at all.

If I myself was to start a thread on a player whom has not done or is doing well it would not be him imo we have far bigger issues than him. The next thread with Riordan and contract in its title I hope has also the words" has signed a new".

The_Sauz
17-01-2011, 03:20 PM
It's strange how Deek often gets criticised on here but then Levein gets pelters whenever he doesn't pick Deek for the Scotland squad. :hmmm:
How do you come to that conclusion :confused: he is the least criticised player on here, and when someone does, they get shot down in flames.

Bad Martini
17-01-2011, 08:19 PM
How do you come to that conclusion :confused: he is the least criticised player on here, and when someone does, they get shot down in flames.

Normally because, some genius tells us how:

1) We don't need Riordan's goals (which would, this season, leave us bottom of this league)
2) We don't need Riordan's assists (see above)
3) We don't need Riordan at all (see 1 + 2)

Nobody has suggested Riordan is playing particularly well right now. What some of us ARE saying is, he is FAR from the worst player in a green and white strip. In fact, most are saying, we DO in fact need him and there's 9 or 10 other candidates for pelters as well as Riordan and in all fairness, 9 or 10 candidates in line first.

That's not to say he's been having a great season; he's no the only one and has seen precious little of the ball stuck up front.

IMHO

SmokieJoe
17-01-2011, 11:57 PM

Was he not suspended after the red card v's Yams?

The_Sauz
18-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Normally because, some genius tells us how:

1) We don't need Riordan's goals (which would, this season, leave us bottom of this league)
2) We don't need Riordan's assists (see above)
3) We don't need Riordan at all (see 1 + 2)

Nobody has suggested Riordan is playing particularly well right now. What some of us ARE saying is, he is FAR from the worst player in a green and white strip. In fact, most are saying, we DO in fact need him and there's 9 or 10 other candidates for pelters as well as Riordan and in all fairness, 9 or 10 candidates in line first.

That's not to say he's been having a great season; he's no the only one and has seen precious little of the ball stuck up front.

IMHO

How many has he got this season :confused:

So you quite happy for him to stay in the team and do nothing but moan at players even when they trying to get the ball to him.
People come on here and moan at our midfield players for not getting the ball to him or that they are to slow getting the ball forward, but what they fail to see is...he never get into space for the pass (unless he moves out to the left wing, but every defender in Scotland knows what he is going to do next, so he is easy to defend against) he hides behind defenders and does not move into channels. How often does he beat a man for pace or even dribble past someone, he even chickens out off 50/50 (like miller), and not to mention out paced by a part time CH (Ayr Utd)who he had a start on.
If DR was as good as most on here think he is, then why has nobody tried to sign him or played more game for Scotland!

Hibs just now need guy's who are going to go out and bust a gut for the cause, and I'm afraid DR is not the man to do this for us and never will be......... but this is only my opinion and I don't care if others come on had shoot me down, at least they will be leaving the players alone :greengrin

btw...Hibs to win 4-0 tonight with DR getting 2 :wink:

The_Sauz
18-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Was he not suspended after the red card v's Yams?
Yes he was, and he missed the Rangers game at Ibrox!

SaudiHibby
18-01-2011, 11:37 AM
End of last season - early this season:

"how the **** can Yogi no see that Deek is never a wide left mid player, get him up front"

Now:

" he is never an up front payer get him wide out left"

:greengrin

truehibernian
18-01-2011, 11:46 AM
End of last season - early this season:

"how the **** can Yogi no see that Deek is never a wide left mid player, get him up front"

Now:

" he is never an up front payer get him wide out left"

:greengrin

Derek reminds me very much of David Zitelli in a positional sense. Derek is never in a million years a lone striker in a 4-5-1, but nor is he a fantastic left midfield player IMHO. He is a player who I think should play off a striker in a 4-4-2, or be allowed to roam the front line behind or supporting a front two. The latter would require a balanced, hard working and industrious midfield, which we simply do not have.

Zitelli was neither a wide player, nor a lone striker too. Terrific left peg, pace and workrate. But he was neither one nor the other. Better playing alongside someone, and in Mixu he had a great foil. What often wasn't said about Mixu was that he had a great touch was superb at link up play. As well as getting right in about centre halves and being a bully.