PDA

View Full Version : Worrying Quote

Amit
15-01-2011, 08:52 PM
"We've progressed quite a lot this week but all the things that can stall a deal have probably happened," Calderwood told BBC Scotland.

"But we'll start again and hope one or two will re-ignite themselves."

1two
15-01-2011, 08:59 PM
So basically

"I was relying on a new signing, we failed getting him, now were ****ed!"

So much to look forward to!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
15-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Heard that on my way home as well. It didn't sound good.

This was probably the signing that was described as "imminent" by the EEN the other day.

So basically we have lost out on our number one signing target and we'll now have to start again, with just two weeks left to complete any deals. :boo hoo:

Speedway
15-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Heard that on my way home as well. It didn't sound good.

This was probably the signing that was described as "imminent" by the EEN the other day.

So basically we have lost out on our number one signing target and we'll now have to start again, with just two weeks left to complete any deals. :boo hoo:

We've lost our top 3 signing targets so far.

The Voice Of Reason
15-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Tell us more please Speedway.

HibbyAndy
15-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Wages.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2011, 09:18 PM
anyone of a decent pedigree that signs for us during the window will surely have enough nous to have a clause in the contract to let them have it away on their toes if we don't stay up.

The Voice Of Reason
15-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Wages.

Eh? :confused:

FitbaFolkKen
15-01-2011, 09:23 PM
There were comments earlier in the week regarding signing targets being hampered by one team having an injured player and another the target had broken back into the side.

BT58
15-01-2011, 09:24 PM
RP..... You want how much per week Adam???
AR .....eh £10k!!!!!!
RP.......aye ok,,,, we will be in touch

Speedway
15-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Tell us more please Speedway.

one player injured, one player has got back into his team and no longer available for loan and one player has decided not to come to the SPL after all.

"We've progressed quite a lot this week but all the things that can stall a deal have probably happened," Calderwood told BBC Scotland.

"But we'll start again and hope one or two will re-ignite themselves."

Steve Kean saying the exact same thing has happened to Blackburn this week so its not just us.

seanshow
15-01-2011, 10:22 PM
In the currrent situation,it should be a huge priority we get 3 or 4 new players in. :confused:
Doesn't matter how it happens or how much!
This is last chance saloon,Dire Straits, the Baw's nearly Burst
and other such clichés :greengrin

Steve-O
15-01-2011, 11:29 PM
At the end of the day we should've had new players in already.

I am absolutely sick of hearing from Hibs that "things are happening in the background", "we'll need to wait and see how things pan out", "things are progressing well we're just waiting on one or two details" etc etc etc etc.

Absolute PISH - just get much needed players in the door and stop fannying about.

H18sry
16-01-2011, 12:13 AM

I am absolutely sick of hearing from Hibs that "things are happening in the background", "we'll need to wait and see how things pan out", "things are progressing well we're just waiting on one or two details" etc etc etc etc.

Absolute PISH - just get much needed players in the door and stop fannying about.

:rolleyes: How many teams have made signings in this transfer window, players hold all the aces and the can bluff up untill the 31st of Jan, very rarely do you see signings prior to the last few days of the window :agree:

ScottB
16-01-2011, 02:55 AM

Easier said than done, just cause we want players doesn't mean it will happen, unless you just want us to sign anyone for the hell of it.

Obviously CC has his targets, it would seem deals for his top 3 picks have fallen through, it is not as easy as phoning up a club and going 'aye, we'll have him thanks' and hanging the phone up.

Frankly, I'd rather we signed nobody than another load of panic bought duds.

Steve-O
16-01-2011, 03:03 AM
:rolleyes: How many teams have made signings in this transfer window, players hold all the aces and the can bluff up untill the 31st of Jan, very rarely do you see signings prior to the last few days of the window :agree:

How many teams are involved in a relegation battle and getting worse rather than better?

I know that Leicester City made a very early signing in this transfer window for starters.

What other clubs are doing is irrelevant, it's us that needs players desperately and IMO, we are not doing enough to get players in due to the usual penny pinching at board level.

Steve-O
16-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Easier said than done, just cause we want players doesn't mean it will happen, unless you just want us to sign anyone for the hell of it.

Obviously CC has his targets, it would seem deals for his top 3 picks have fallen through, it is not as easy as phoning up a club and going 'aye, we'll have him thanks' and hanging the phone up.

Frankly, I'd rather we signed nobody than another load of panic bought duds.

Hibs - make offer, other club accepts or declines offer.

Accepted offer - make the player an offer, player declines or accepts the offer.

It really cannot be as difficult as Hibs are making out, they are obviously not coming up with deals that are deemed good enough or else these mystery targets would be here!

It's this 'wait until the last possible minute to sign anyone' policy that has gotten us into this mess FFS.

BroxburnHibee
16-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Except when its Hibs players.

Steve-O
16-01-2011, 05:07 AM

Exactly. Players seem to exit Hibs with relative ease, but seems to be a different story in the opposite direction!

One Day Soon
16-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Accepted offer - make the player an offer, player declines or accepts the offer.

It really cannot be as difficult as Hibs are making out, they are obviously not coming up with deals that are deemed good enough or else these mystery targets would be here!

It's this 'wait until the last possible minute to sign anyone' policy that has gotten us into this mess FFS.

Get real. Any team we look to buy from will assess why we want the player and how desperate we are or aren't. A cursory look at our league position, the local papers and their web pages and hibs.net will tell any prospective seller exactly what they need to know - ie Hibs are desperate so up the price and play a waiting game. That way they can trade our interest off against other clubs. A

Any singings we make are likely to go right up to the close of the window for that reason alone, never mind the fact that there are few decent players up for grabs in January.

marinello59
16-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Get real. Any team we look to buy from will assess why we want the player and how desperate we are or aren't. A cursory look at our league position, the local papers and their web pages and hibs.net will tell any prospective seller exactly what they need to know - ie Hibs are desperate so up the price and play a waiting game. That way they can trade our interest off against other clubs. A

Any singings we make are likely to go right up to the close of the window for that reason alone, never mind the fact that there are few decent players up for grabs in January.

Exactly. The pool is pretty shallow to say the least. If a club IS willing to release a player mid season then in most cases the question is why?

Steve-O
16-01-2011, 08:52 AM

All of this should've been done earlier if it's so hard to conclude deals then shouldn't it? Clubs are perfectly free to make offers for players outside the window as far as I am aware...what have we been doing all this time?

Personally think you are over analysing the whole thing. How come we don't play this waiting game either? Bamba was off pretty quick was he not?

H18sry
16-01-2011, 08:59 AM
How many teams are involved in a relegation battle and getting worse rather than better?

I know that Leicester City made a very early signing in this transfer window for starters.

What other clubs are doing is irrelevant, it's us that needs players desperately and IMO, we are not doing enough to get players in due to the usual penny pinching at board level.

A player who had wanted to leave us for the last 18 months and who has been hit or miss for us in that time.

ronaldo7
16-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Well that's us goosed then. The first signing that comes in will be our 4th choice. I pity the player if this board is anything to go by. He'll just not be Hibs class.

bingo70
16-01-2011, 09:04 AM

I agree that things should have been lined up in advance and we should have had at least one new player in by now, however i don't think it's as simple as your suggesting.

Hibs make offer for player....club waits to see if they can replace player first of all before giving an answer, they think they can so accept offer, however theyre target falls through so our deal is scuppered.

Player could get injured or fail a medical.

Player doesnt want to committ until the end of the window to see what other options he has.

Deals could have been lined up only for change of manager to scrap that deal. (possibly whats happened at newcastle)

Players can break into the team after previously being out of the picture.

Teams we're buying from could get injuries so need our target to stay a while longer.

Deals could be lined up only for other clubs to top our offer at the last minute.

Sure there's other reasons as well but it is frustrating when teams can buy our players without these problems, pressumably CC thought having money to spend would be in our interests rather than waiting until Bamba was replaced before agreeing to the transfer.

PaulSmith
16-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Let's assume that Calderwood knows that he aint keeping any of the 15 that are out of contract.

That means one hell of a rebuilding job in the summer doesn't it?

So surely, or you'd hope, that he has identified around 10-15 players that are out of contract or within a realistic price range that we can talk too right now about signing for next season. In fact I'd go as far that if we have not already spoken to several players for next season that would be tantamount to gross misconduct on the managers or chairmans part.

Sound fair so far?

So why not sign these players now on a pre-contract and offer the selling club an opportunity to get something for these players now rather than nowt in 4 months time.

The answer is probably stumbling blocks of course but never mind the emergency situation now, where is the forward planning for next season? As I said in a previous post what will come first, the managers budget for next season to spend or the number of season tickets sold to make up that budget?

bingo70
16-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Let's assume that Calderwood knows that he aint keeping any of the 15 that are out of contract.

So surely, or you'd hope, that he has identified around 10-15 players that are out of contract or within a realistic price range that we can talk too right now about signing for next season. In fact I'd go as far that if we have not already spoken to several players for next season that would be tantamount to gross misconduct on the managers or chairmans part.

Sound fair so far?

So why not sign these players now on a pre-contract and offer the selling club an opportunity to get something for these players now rather than nowt in 4 months time.

The answer is probably stumbling blocks of course but never mind the emergency situation now, where is the forward planning for next season? As I said in a previous post what will come first, the managers budget for next season to spend or the number of season tickets sold to make up that budget?

:agree:

I'm not one for asking the board to spend more than we've got and i think the criticism the board has been getting is unfair, however i agree with you that players who are out of contract in the summer should be targetted now and a little money spent on them, it's not ideal spending money that we wouldnt need to if we wait until the summer, however we're 9th in the league and in serious danger of relegation and thats a far from ideal situation to be in so unfortunately needs must, if that means losing money this year or decreasing the summer budget then so be it, but first and foremose we need to stay up.

Lets start putting pressure on clubs like what other teams do, pre-contract agreements, then put in small offers that'll unsettle the club and the player, by doing this your removing a lot of the obstacles that were suggested earlier as well.

BEEJ
16-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Sound fair so far?

The answer is probably stumbling blocks of course but never mind the emergency situation now, where is the forward planning for next season?
Absolutely spot on. :top marks The scale of the task is huge.

The only fly in the ointment is our current league predicament and the risk of joining a club that could be relegated. That will make recruitment harder.

Cropley10
16-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Absolutely spot on. :top marks The scale of the task is huge.

The only fly in the ointment is our current league predicament and the risk of joining a club that could be relegated. That will make recruitment harder.

Unless of course a generous bonus for staying in the Division was available? :dunno:

lord bunberry
16-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I think the predicament we find ourselves in means we have no choice but to spend more than we can afford the alternative doesn't bare thinking about. whether you think cc is the right man for the job or not he has to be given the money to bring in new players because one thing is for sure the current squad will take us down you only have to look at hamiltons performance against celtic compared to ours to see that we are in deep trouble and the financial implication of a season in the first division would be far worse than spending a bit extra now

grunt
16-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I think the predicament we find ourselves in means we have no choice but to spend more than we can afford ...:crazy: