PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio Scotland - Sportsound

sunshine1875
15-01-2011, 08:01 PM
How frustrating this programme is?

After home matches at Easter Road, I jump in my car hoping to hear CC comments on the game or how the many games up and down the country went. Who scored, what shocks there were etc.

But no. Every ****ing week, all I hear about is the Infirm. Right guys we need to break up the discussion about Rantic to listen to the 10 minute interview from Walter Lennon after their team's world beating display in putting three goals past a very poor Scottish club, with each goal described as being fantastic. After the interview, I listen with hope that we can move onto a more interesting subject only for the cronies to discuss Walter Lennon's interview for the next 10 minutes, before we then are treated to the manager of the team that got gubbed by Rantic to explain why Rantic are so good. That must be it, I think surely they will start to discuss the other teams in the league. Yes, finally they do by talking about the other member of Rantic who usually do not play until the next day. When that is finished, it is time for Jim Traynor's phone-in dominated by the idiot members of the Rantic support. Total switch-off!!!

God, it is so boring!!

Today, after the Hibs game the discussion was on whether Lennon was right or wrong to complain about all the decisions that had gone against his team in the Hamilton game three days ago:grr:. So boring!!

I really have had enough about this programme. I pay my fee like everybody else, but all I get is Rantic shoved down my throat.

I am a football fan and I would love to hear more about Dundee's 25-point deduction, about the fight between Raith and the Pars at the top of the first division, about Clyde's fall to the bottom of the leagues, about Caley Thistle and Butcher's transformation of the team, similar with Craig Brown. God, even about Hertz. But not the Infirm every ****ing minute of the day.

Anyone else had enough with this programme. Contrast that with the English national channel, who will talk about the lower league teams.

johnrebus
15-01-2011, 08:07 PM
How frustrating this programme is?

After home matches at Easter Road, I jump in my car hoping to hear CC comments on the game or how the many games up and down the country went. Who scored, what shocks there were etc.

But no. Every ****ing week, all I hear about is the Infirm. Right guys we need to break up the discussion about Rantic to listen to the 10 minute interview from Walter Lennon after their team's world beating display in putting three goals past a very poor Scottish club, with each goal described as being fantastic. After the interview, I listen with hope that we can move onto a more interesting subject only for the cronies to discuss Walter Lennon's interview for the next 10 minutes, before we then are treated to the manager of the team that got gubbed by Rantic to explain why Rantic are so good. That must be it, I think surely they will start to discuss the other teams in the league. Yes, finally they do by talking about the other member of Rantic who usually do not play until the next day. When that is finished, it is time for Jim Traynor's phone-in dominated by the idiot members of the Rantic support. Total switch-off!!!

God, it is so boring!!

Today, after the Hibs game the discussion was on whether Lennon was right or wrong to complain about all the decisions that had gone against his team in the Hamilton game three days ago:grr:. So boring!!

I really have had enough about this programme. I pay my fee like everybody else, but all I get is Rantic shoved down my throat.

I am a football fan and I would love to hear more about Dundee's 25-point deduction, about the fight between Raith and the Pars at the top of the first division, about Clyde's fall to the bottom of the leagues, about Caley Thistle and Butcher's transformation of the team, similar with Craig Brown. God, even about Hertz. But not the Infirm every ****ing minute of the day.

Anyone else had enough with this programme. Contrast that with the English national channel, who will talk about the lower league teams.

You should try listening to 'Sportsound' during the week - it is even worse, if that's possible.

Most of Friday's programme was spent talking about Kenny ****ing Miller....,

Truly execrable.

:grr:

IWasThere2016
15-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Aye - 5Live or TalkSPORT for me. Can only suffer Richard Gordon and wee Spencey tbh - that erse Preston, Dumbo Dodds and Dick Dung dae ma nut in! Can't stomach Traynor's phone-in drivel either.

Hamish
16-01-2011, 06:42 PM
:agree: said on another thread that it is embarrassing listening to them. Surely the Controller of BBC Scotland has heard this drivel at some point and should do something about the standard.

TQM is partly correct - Richard Gordon is the only one with any semblance of professionalism on it.

lucky
16-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I always tune in to hear CC comments when driving home then turn it off right after it. I don't think I could handle listening to them throughout a game.

Iggy Pope
16-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I always tune in to hear CC comments when driving home then turn it off right after it. I don't think I could handle listening to them throughout a game.

You should try it 'open all mics'.....all of them talking at once over the top of each other. So much tripe on so many levels is downright unbearable. 5 Live is light years ahead.

Sammy7nil
16-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Try Real Radio they are bit more balanced :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :

Craig_in_Prague
16-01-2011, 07:52 PM
You should try it 'open all mics'.....all of them talking at once over the top of each other. So much tripe on so many levels is downright unbearable. 5 Live is light years ahead.

I said this a few months ago and surprisingly got shot down on here, everyone saying how sportsound etc is great and for a small country we've great coverage etc.

Can't bear listening to the shows for more than 2 mins.

R Gordon is ok, but the way he says Hibernian Nil is annoying.

Wonder how much all these eejits earn?

Stonewall
16-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Stopped listening to Radio Scotland's sports coverage a good few years ago. It's disgraceful.

5Live for me, not much Scottish coverage but at least I don't feel as if my intelligence is being insuted.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Totally agree - typical of our modern media to appeal to the moronic masses though - had a laugh gthe other night listening to Billy Dodds describe how the Hibs supporters are becoming disorientated - it took Chick Young to gently suggest to him that he might have meant disillusioned.

I listen to 5live, but i think that is part of the problem - the more i listen to 5 live, the less engaged i am with Scottish fitba, and the more i get interested in English fitba - but biased thicko covergae is part of the problem for me, if I dont want to hear the same tied voices trot out the same un-thinking cliches and cover the same issues that they have been talking about for the last 20 years - like Scottish football in microcosm - thick, distorted by vested interest, stale and ultimately, a massive turn-off (in this case literally).

lapsedhibee
16-01-2011, 08:38 PM
execrable

Le mot juste.

James70
16-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I agree with all the sentiments about Sportsound, if you don't support one of the ugly sisters then you may as well not exist.

I find Reporting Scotland on TV almost as bad, they nearly always manage to mention one or the other in the preview to the sports news.

The only thing worth listening to and always good for a laugh is Off the Ball with Stuart Cosgrove and Tam Cowan.

Aldo
16-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Complained last season about preston and his anti hibs approached and got a

"we try to cover all angles reply" from their editor...not acceptable and told them so but got totally blanked.

THey will have who they want and they will say what they want as long as they are happy??

Greenblood70
16-01-2011, 09:19 PM
It's a real shame the way Sportsound has gone..used to have some decent broadcasters on there. I'd agree with the sentiment that Richard Gordon is the only decent thing on it.

When they all talk over each other and Chic is wittering on about some banal theory you just wonder how the producer lets it all go.

Been dumbed down to the point of idiocy imo.

Alfred E Newman
16-01-2011, 09:28 PM
The basic problem with the Sportsound program is that it is too long.
In the "auld days" the program came on at 4 pm and you got commentary on the last half hour of a selected game.After that we heard reports from all the games including the lower leagues, junior results, East of Scotland , English leagues and the rugby results all before 6 pm.
Spinning the program out over several hours does nothing for the service other than give the slavers like Chic Young an oppertunity to waffle on about the Old Firm for a couple of hours.
By the time I get back to the car after the game now the reports are more or less over. You then have to listen to an hour of Celtic Rangers drivel from Traynor before the results service at 6.30.
And they call this progress?

Newhaven
16-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Try Real Radio they are bit more balanced :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :

Ha ha.

Do they even mention anyone but the old firm these days?

hibsbollah
17-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I know exactly how you feel.

Turned on sportsound tonight, and after ten minutes i turned it over to FiveLive. It was the same stories from the past week reheated, Kenny Miller this, Neil Lennon that, blahde****ingblah. You could tell it wasnt going to move off the subject of the old firm, unless it was going to be the 10-team league argument all over again, which is just another way of them talking about old firm-related issues anyway. I get the impression they like the league reconstruction talk, because it gives them another excuse not to talk about the other 10 SPL sides.

FiveLIve was doing transfer rumours about England, which I have limited interest in, but its better than that pish. FiveLive were interviewing Kevin Phillips, who is apparently 'interesting' Rangers, according to Sportsound 10 minutes earlier. The FiveLive guy didnt mention it once of course. I'm sure half of these stories are just invented to keep the old firm fans buying the Record.

It's hard work following Scottish football when we're so badly served by the media.

cabbageandribs1875
17-01-2011, 08:24 PM
:agree: said on another thread that it is embarrassing listening to them. Surely the Controller of BBC Scotland has heard this drivel at some point and should do something about the standard.

TQM is partly correct - Richard Gordon is the only one with any semblance of professionalism on it.

iirc the controller/producer of sportsound itself is a hibby, that was approx a year ago tho so it's maybe changed

Betty Boop
17-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I know exactly how you feel.

Turned on sportsound tonight, and after ten minutes i turned it over to FiveLive. It was the same stories from the past week reheated, Kenny Miller this, Neil Lennon that, blahde****ingblah. You could tell it wasnt going to move off the subject of the old firm, unless it was going to be the 10-team league argument all over again, which is just another way of them talking about old firm-related issues anyway. I get the impression they like the league reconstruction talk, because it gives them another excuse not to talk about the other 10 SPL sides.

FiveLIve was doing transfer rumours about England, which I have limited interest in, but its better than that pish. FiveLive were interviewing Kevin Phillips, who is apparently 'interesting' Rangers, according to Sportsound 10 minutes earlier. The FiveLive guy didnt mention it once of course. I'm sure half of these stories are just invented to keep the old firm fans buying the Record.

It's hard work following Scottish football when we're so badly served by the media.

I thought they said Celtic ?

Sir David Gray
17-01-2011, 08:48 PM

This is probably the first and last time that I'm going to say this but I agree with you here. :wink:

I don't listen to the commentaries much on Sportsound as I'm usually at the Hibs game but on the odd occasion that I've listened to 'Open all mics', I have cringed with embarrassment. They are trying to do a radio version of Gillette Soccer Saturday on Sky but, to me, it just does not work at all.

It is awful but apparently they've stuck with it because of positive feedback from listeners. :bitchy:

I can't believe that anyone enjoys listening to that format.

hibsbollah
17-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I thought they said Celtic ?

possibly, I dunno, I had zoned out by then:boo hoo::dizzy:

frazeHFC
17-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I hate the radio after Hibs games, you want to hear from all around the grounds. But all the talk is on the weegies, even if they haven't bloody played that day!!!! :grr:

PatHead
17-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Can live with Real Radio pandering to the Old Firm. They have ratings to chase. BBC is supposedly a public service broadcaster and as such ratings should not come into it's planning. I would love someone to monitor it and work out what percentage of the programme is taken up by these clubs,

Sir David Gray
17-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Can live with Real Radio pandering to the Old Firm. They have ratings to chase. BBC is supposedly a public service broadcaster and as such ratings should not come into it's planning. I would love someone to monitor it and work out what percentage of the programme is taken up by these clubs,

Correct, which is also why people like Allan Preston should be working for Real Radio and not the BBC. The BBC should also remain impartial at all times and some of the stuff that Preston comes out with, with regards to Hibs, is not appropriate for the BBC.

I also heard Stuart Cosgrove making some kind of joke about Hibs fans and heroin on last week's Off The Ball. Again, on Real Radio, you might be able to argue that there's a place for jokes like that but on the BBC, I expect better than that.

number9dream
17-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Well, tonight's Sportsound gave Hibs big licks, including bits of Calderwood's media conference, with Jim Traynor and John Robertson in the studio banging on about how awful we were.

Then we had the truly awful Neil Doncaster 'moving forward' with his half-baked plans for a new SPL set-up.

Calderwood is so slow and deliberate with everything he says yet still manages to trip over his words regularly.

I'm not sure I want to hear him more often because it's a bit embarrassing really.

Hermit Crab
17-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Its BBC radio Oldfirm and dont you forget it!!!:wink::greengrin