PDA

View Full Version : How did yogi get us 4th spot & into europe?

Jimmy Belter
15-01-2011, 06:59 PM
HOW DID YOGI GET US 4TH SPOT & INTO EUROPE?? (With this lot).

we are hibs
15-01-2011, 07:00 PM
how did yogi get us 4th spot & into europe?? (with this lot).
stokes

sleeping giant
15-01-2011, 07:00 PM

McBride linking the defence through the midfield. He won't grab a goal though eh :wink:

HamiltonHibee
15-01-2011, 07:12 PM
McBride linking the defence through the midfield. He won't grab a goal though eh :wink:

Thats a good point, every team needs a player who is not a glory hunter and prepared to do the dirty work,McBride fell into this category.

Another point to the fans that wanted yogi out, instead of supporting him we have been landed with a total nugget of a manager

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I think we punched above our weight
Did yogi not say we thought we were better than we were?
Did he also not say we were in a bit of a false position ahead of schedule
Looks like reality just caught up

Too reliant on stokes and deeks to pull one out of the bag now stokes gone and desks a bit out of sorts - can't do it all mind!

paul_hfc3
15-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Thats a good point, every team needs a player who is not a glory hunter and prepared to do the dirty work,McBride fell into this category.

Another point to the fans that wanted yogi out, instead of supporting him we have been landed with a total nugget of a manager

Sighhh its not Calderwood's fault atm. Its the players. Cba with people calling for another manager's head, its the instant scapegoat tactic or the blame on owners and board when things don't go well after the get a new manager order has been worn out.

Gurantee you getting another manager isn't happening just now and it wouldn't make a difference. This season is a write off from the start. Give the manager time before starting calling for his head. Its those rank rotten players on the pitch with no gumption for the club.

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2011, 07:19 PM
He was a flawed genius.

HamiltonHibee
15-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Sighhh its not Calderwood's fault atm. Its the players. Cba with people calling for another manager's head, its the instant scapegoat tactic or the blame on owners and board when things don't go well after the get a new manager order has been worn out.

Gurantee you getting another manager isn't happening just now and it wouldn't make a difference. This season is a write off from the start. Give the manager time before starting calling for his head. Its those rank rotten players on the pitch with no gumption for the club.

The fans jumped the gun with mixu and done the same with yogi IMO, Petrie is a total bottle merchant

Jimmy Belter
15-01-2011, 08:07 PM
The fans jumped the gun with mixu and done the same with yogi IMO, Petrie is a total bottle merchant..........

Yes i agree, look how Miux doing now with Kilmarnock.

Why do we keep jumping on the band wagon when things hit a wee down turn.......... We done it with YOGI,MIXU & even going back to Collins..

It does take time for a mangaer to built his own squad & culture at a club............yes there may be some hard times aswell............

But if you can see a manager has a medium, long term plan, then the club and the fans should support him.

Yes i agree Petrie bottled it...............YOGI did lose 2 big players in Jones & Fletcher for about £2.5 million i think ? Dont think he got much off that back.......he did bring in Stokes & sold for a good profit, he did not sign up alot of players on 2/3 year deals.Only year deals so if not good enough moved on, as i said before he stated in media that he want`d to bring in better players but it would take time till he could move alot of them on. So it not even the fact he was asking for loads of money.......just a bit support.

HamiltonHibee
15-01-2011, 08:13 PM
the fans jumped the gun with mixu and done the same with yogi imo, petrie is a total bottle merchant..........

Yes i agree, look how miux doing now with kilmarnock.

Why do we keep jumping on the band wagon when things hit a wee down turn.......... We done it with yogi,mixu & even going back to collins..

It does take time for a mangaer to built his own squad & culture at a club............yes there may be some hard times aswell............

But if you can see a manager has a medium, long term plan, then the club and the fans should support him.

Yes i agree petrie bottled it...............yogi did lose 2 big players in jones & fletcher for about £2.5 million i think ? Dont think he got much off that back.......he did bring in stokes & sold for a good profit, he did not sign up alot of players on 2/3 year deals.only year deals so if not good enough moved on, as i said before he stated in media that he want`d to bring in better players but it would take time till he could move alot of them on. So it not even the fact he was asking for loads of money.......just a bit support.

well said

paul_hfc3
15-01-2011, 08:22 PM
The fans jumped the gun with mixu and done the same with yogi IMO, Petrie is a total bottle merchant..........

Why do we keep jumping on the band wagon when things hit a wee down turn.......... We done it with YOGI,MIXU & even going back to Collins..

Yes i agree Petrie bottled it...............YOGI did lose 2 big players in Jones & Fletcher for about £2.5 million i think ? Dont think he got much off that back.......he did bring in Stokes & sold for a good profit, he did not sign up alot of players on 2/3 year deals.Only year deals so if not good enough moved on, as i said before he stated in media that he want`d to bring in better players but it would take time till he could move alot of them on. So it not even the fact he was asking for loads of money.......just a bit support.

No JC was a prick, hated by the players all of them. Plus as well demanded money for players such as Barry Robson and never got it. So blamed it on money siuation. He would have been sacked was a ticking time bomb who caused to many internal problems.

marinello59
15-01-2011, 08:25 PM
No JC was a prick, hated by the players all of them. Plus as well demanded money for players such as Barry Robson and never got it. So blamed it on money siuation. He would have been sacked was a ticking time bomb who caused to many internal problems.

Really? Care to expand?

vahibbie
15-01-2011, 08:32 PM
He was a flawed genius.

naw he wisnae, it was pure luck:wink::duck:

Jimmy Belter
15-01-2011, 08:33 PM

I will not comment on your first point ( Thought this forum was for constructive Debate).

This is a strong thing to say....`` hated by all the players``
How do you know this ?
Have all the players told you this?

marleyhib
15-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Agreed, our decline started when he got injured last season, oh and stokes goals.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 11:00 PM
naw he wisnae, it was pure luck:wink::duck:

It was one of those. :wink:

Sammy7nil
16-01-2011, 11:10 PM

We watched 10 months of DROSS under Yogi before his time was up. He showed NO signs of being able to turn it around his press interviews were laughable. In the end he looked ill and lost and relieved he got emptied he simply had no more excuses to offer.

Is CC better not shown it yet buy Yogi HAD to go.

truehibernian
16-01-2011, 11:13 PM

So untrue it's unreal.

Very well liked and respected by the young players at the club, disliked by the senior pro's more because they felt he treated them like youngsters. One of the tipping points was not being allowed to go for beers at the training camp he took them on and having a curfew. Sadly some pro's should be told the story of Sir Alex Ferguson turning up at the digs of Ryan Giggs and Lee Sharpe when he found out via doormen that the pair of them had been out for a few when they had been told not to and had training next day. Hasn't done Ryan Giggs much harm looking after his body and forsaking bevvy for the sake of a long, uninterupted top level career.

JC wanted to rid Hibs of the unprofessional, gambling and drinking that blights Scottish football. Sad that player power and Mr Petrie went behind his back and undermined his position at the club. Don't blame him for walking. He was ahead of the game by miles when it came to football management.......man management could have improved, but it was Hibs loss and he is/was certainly not a "prick" as you so eloquently phrase it.

J-C
16-01-2011, 11:34 PM
So untrue it's unreal.

Very well liked and respected by the young players at the club, disliked by the senior pro's more because they felt he treated them like youngsters. One of the tipping points was not being allowed to go for beers at the training camp he took them on and having a curfew. Sadly some pro's should be told the story of Sir Alex Ferguson turning up at the digs of Ryan Giggs and Lee Sharpe when he found out via doormen that the pair of them had been out for a few when they had been told not to and had training next day. Hasn't done Ryan Giggs much harm looking after his body and forsaking bevvy for the sake of a long, uninterupted top level career.

JC wanted to rid Hibs of the unprofessional, gambling and drinking that blights Scottish football. Sad that player power and Mr Petrie went behind his back and undermined his position at the club. Don't blame him for walking. He was ahead of the game by miles when it came to football management.......man management could have improved, but it was Hibs loss and he is/was certainly not a "prick" as you so eloquently phrase it.

:top marks

If petrie had a backbone and told the certain moaning players to GTF then JC might well still have been manager.

greenlex
16-01-2011, 11:36 PM

John you did very well but when the magic dust run out so did your luck.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2011, 11:38 PM
:top marks

If petrie had a backbone and told the certain moaning players to GTF then JC might well still have been manager.

I don't think so, personally i dont think he's got the bottle for a fight. Too rich :dunno:, and cant work with inferior players. Shame really as he bought a few.

hibeeleicester
16-01-2011, 11:48 PM
He done it as he was a Good Manager.

paul_hfc3
17-01-2011, 01:25 AM
So untrue it's unreal.

The majority of your post is complete and utter nonsense. I will not reveal my source/s because I did in the past and I won't again because the source/s tend to get shafted. Your point on saying how he was just giving the players a kick up the backside about the luxury part of football is true, e.g. emphasising the importance of keeping off the bevy and keeping fitness levels high and no heavy gambling etc. However saying that he was well liked by youngsters is not true, they put up with him and were grateful at how he gave them a chance in football, as would anyone. JC was a prick,arrogant, self righteous and extremley cocky. A fine example was when he paraded his six pack with the comment of something along the lines off "You could be like me and look like this" to the players, I know this is petty but it is scrote like. And yes he did ask for money for specific players on a shortlist which was like an almost spl dream team. One was Barry Robson.

Plus if JC was a manager ahead of his time as you claim, what about all the duds he signed for us, Makalamby, AoB, Thierry Gathuessi, Brain Kerr, Joe Keenan, Thomas Sowumni, Antoine Curier, Joneleit everyone one of them all gash for us. Furthermore what about his last employment record. He finished 12th in 16 team league in Belgium in 2009 with Charleroi. Hardly tremendous for the way you highly rate JC.

Dashing Bob S
17-01-2011, 04:07 AM
We watched 10 months of DROSS under Yogi before his time was up. He showed NO signs of being able to turn it around his press interviews were laughable. In the end he looked ill and lost and relieved he got emptied he simply had no more excuses to offer.

Is CC better not shown it yet buy Yogi HAD to go.

When will he show it? Next season in the first division?

Sandy
17-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Absolute pish, ask Lewis Stevenson what he thought of John, I know JC and he can come across as aloof, but in fact it is just that he is VERY confident in his own abilities, and expects others to set and maintain similar high standards.

truehibernian
17-01-2011, 06:31 AM
The majority of your post is complete and utter nonsense. I will not reveal my source/s because I did in the past and I won't again because the source/s tend to get shafted. Your point on saying how he was just giving the players a kick up the backside about the luxury part of football is true, e.g. emphasising the importance of keeping off the bevy and keeping fitness levels high and no heavy gambling etc. However saying that he was well liked by youngsters is not true, they put up with him and were grateful at how he gave them a chance in football, as would anyone. JC was a prick,arrogant, self righteous and extremley cocky. A fine example was when he paraded his six pack with the comment of something along the lines off "You could be like me and look like this" to the players, I know this is petty but it is scrote like. And yes he did ask for money for specific players on a shortlist which was like an almost spl dream team. One was Barry Robson.

Plus if JC was a manager ahead of his time as you claim, what about all the duds he signed for us, Makalamby, AoB, Thierry Gathuessi, Brain Kerr, Joe Keenan, Thomas Sowumni, Antoine Curier, Joneleit everyone one of them all gash for us. Furthermore what about his last employment record. He finished 12th in 16 team league in Belgium in 2009 with Charleroi. Hardly tremendous for the way you highly rate JC.

Really. Well reveal away please.

I was lucky enough to be able to watch Hibernian train regularly when JC was in charge, prior to the completion of East Mains. I certainly never heard the likes of young Kevin McCann or Lewis Stevenson complain about the training methods or man management.

There were a couple of tasty moments involving senior pro's at training which seemed well dealt with at the time too.

But hey......you think what you think and I will have my opinion on JC. It's what makes forums and debate fun when people have differing views.

Could it be that some of the players were just afraid of hard work and didn't like their comfortable life being shattered with a touch of professionalism gleaned from Scotland, France (especially) and England's top flight clubs learned from the likes of Liam Brady, Walter Smith, Jean Tigana and others ? He was after all trying to win the club a domestic double.......shame the players put their own self importance before silverware in my opinion.

truehibernian
17-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Just an additional point re JC's record in Belgium.

Paul - where did John Hughes Falkirk finish in the SPL prior to Hibernian appointing him as manager, and can you tell me how many times he took Falkirk into the top 6 in our top division ? I would argue that he should have at least taken them to higher league placings when up against the likes of Well, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Killie, etc.

JC is/was a touch arrogant/over confident because his CV was able to back this kind of personality up....i.e he is a winner, has won things, and has played at the very highest levels of professional football. Something that it would be dificult not to be proud of and want players under his management to achieve with the right grounding and coaching......would you describe Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson or Frank Riijkard as arrogant......I would and think that this is what makes them winners as opposed to losers.

Betty Boop
17-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Aw precious wee lambs ! :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Because from the season start until Christmas time that year we used up all our luck. When things got tough, players went into hiding and we have not really kicked a ball since. Now people can hoh and hum all day about Yogi this and Yogi that, but he had all summer to change the team, and his big signing was de Graaf and the point of him just escapes me. And anybody that was at the St Johnstone away game this season, is in denial if they think that Yogi would have us in any better a position that we are in now.

Skanko79
17-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Yogi may have made mistakes like any other but he had the ability to fire the players up for big games and got the best out of the likes of Miller and McBride. Calderwood has yet to do anything like this for me to believe in him and he has had enough time now, not only to get rid of the deadwood but bring in his targets and he hasnt done it yet. He has also had enough time to have build a relationship with the players and get them performing and he hasnt done this either. We are going backwards all the time.

Cropley10
17-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Yogi may have made mistakes like any other but he had the ability to fire the players up for big games and got the best out of the likes of Miller and McBride. Calderwood has yet to do anything like this for me to believe in him and he has had enough time now, not only to get rid of the deadwood but bring in his targets and he hasnt done it yet. He has also had enough time to have build a relationship with the players and get them performing and he hasnt done this either. We are going backwards all the time.

Nonsense. Yogis record against the Yams and the OF was rubbish. I'd say the replay at Ross County was another big game.

We're going backwards because we have players who don't care and manager who has no clue about this Division IMHO

truehibernian
17-01-2011, 09:13 AM

I would question his ability to fire the players up for big games. And he certainly managed over some of the worst displays I have seen from a Hibs side in years. Hamilton twice, St Johnstone three times, Hearts twice, Rangers twice, Motherwell (6-6 game), St Mirren........Hughes' tactics were too often exposed and he was a manager that was easy to read. Dressing room bust-up's, players turning up late, players not returning home on time, reports of off-field gambling and fights at training.......he certainly looked as if he had no real control or authority IMHO.

CC has now got a horrible position to manage, that being that there are so many out of contract, so many not good enough to build a decent team around, and so many really not showing they want to win new contracts. He has given every single player a chance......not many have grasped the nettle and taken it.

Phil D. Rolls
17-01-2011, 09:17 AM
The fans jumped the gun with mixu and done the same with yogi IMO, Petrie is a total bottle merchant

Are you saying Petrie bottled it by caving into the fans demands? If he did it's a bit of a worry, because - as we saw at Tynecastle - fans get more and more ridiculous with their demands.

They'll be wanting Petrie out next, and a top Russian businessman to take over. I can only hope he doesn't promise too much as it usually leads to frustration and false expectations.

Doesn't it? :cool2:

Jack
17-01-2011, 09:23 AM
They say you make your own luck and I think during the good time Yogi and his teams certainly made the best of it. Quite often winning by the odd goal, getting draws where defeat seemed likely. In my own green tinted world I thought referee decisions that would have normally gone against us went for us. But they made their own luck, it was a team that worked hard and took their chances and goals win games.

As an example, Deeks cut back on Saturday. During the good times that cross would have fallen to a Hibs player. All too often we are seeing good moves breaking down because of a lucky deflection; ‘luck’ going against us; or a lucky deflection for them leading to a goal [or scoring opportunity]. In the good times they were all, or at least mostly, going for us.

We also had the ‘luck’ of the whole squad being fit and available. At the turn of the year that changed hugely with key players missing; ANC, suspensions and injuries - Bamba; McBride to name but 2, cause I cant be bothered looking up who else, and IMO most importantly Zemmama out for the rest of the season.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that the poor run of form started almost at the same time as the demolition of the Auld East (RIP) and the loss of passion from that side of the pitch. The passion is back, sadly not the ‘luck’ or results.

Reaper
17-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Because we had a run like the one Hearts are on just now, where everything fell our way and we won games we should have drawn, drawn games we should have lost. Eventually those runs come to an end and luck runs out. Hibs run did so in spectacular style.

Keith_M
17-01-2011, 10:36 AM
In the first half of the season, there were quite a lot of games where Hibs weren't the better team but scored the all important goal(s) becuase Stokes and Riordan were on fire. Some people may call that luck, though I'm not one of them.

A combination of opposing teams getting wise to how to play Hibs, bad luck through injuries (e.g. Zemamma) and a bunch of players unable to stand up and be counted when things get tough were what did for Hibs. Unfortunately, Yogi didn't have the answers to how to turn things around. I'm not convinced yet that CC has either (and he doesn't even have Stokes at his disposal) but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2011, 10:45 AM
In the first half of the season, there were quite a lot of games where Hibs weren't the better team but scored the all important goal(s) becuase Stokes and Riordan were on fire. Some people may call that luck, though I'm not one of them.

A combination of opposing teams getting wise to how to play Hibs, bad luck through injuries (e.g. Zemamma) and a bunch of players unable to stand up and be counted when things get tough were what did for Hibs. Unfortunately, Yogi didn't have the answers to how to turn things around. I'm not convinced yet that CC has either (and he doesn't even have Stokes at his disposal) but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Which games were these, and are we the only club that happens to? And the point of bringing Stokes and Riordan to the club was to score goals, it would have been silly not to play them?

The last bit about injuries and loss of form was a huge part in our loss of form. And it was clear the players we brought in to replace them were nowhere near good enough.

Beefster
17-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Let's face it, Yogi got lucky every week until he got unlucky. Football folk know what its like.

Calderwood's lucky streak will be along any minute now. Probably after the Ayr game.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Let's face it, Yogi got lucky every week until he got unlucky. Football folk know what its like.

Calderwood's lucky streak will be along any minute now. Probably after the Ayr game.

:tee hee:

Albion Hibs
17-01-2011, 11:18 AM
stokes

Simply answer and I would agree with that.

Saturday was a perfect example of what you get with a striker that has a bit of movement and is willing to run into space - scored two and set up one.

A new striker with simliar ability and a new CH and I have no doubt we will become much more of a threat / start picking up points.

paul_hfc3
18-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Really. Well reveal away please.

I was lucky enough to be able to watch Hibernian train regularly when JC was in charge, prior to the completion of East Mains. I certainly never heard the likes of young Kevin McCann or Lewis Stevenson complain about the training methods or man management.

There were a couple of tasty moments involving senior pro's at training which seemed well dealt with at the time too.

But hey......you think what you think and I will have my opinion on JC. It's what makes forums and debate fun when people have differing views.

Could it be that some of the players were just afraid of hard work and didn't like their comfortable life being shattered with a touch of professionalism gleaned from Scotland, France (especially) and England's top flight clubs learned from the likes of Liam Brady, Walter Smith, Jean Tigana and others ? He was after all trying to win the club a domestic double.......shame the players put their own self importance before silverware in my opinion.

Just an additional point re JC's record in Belgium.

Paul - where did John Hughes Falkirk finish in the SPL prior to Hibernian appointing him as manager, and can you tell me how many times he took Falkirk into the top 6 in our top division ? I would argue that he should have at least taken them to higher league placings when up against the likes of Well, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Killie, etc.

JC is/was a touch arrogant/over confident because his CV was able to back this kind of personality up....i.e he is a winner, has won things, and has played at the very highest levels of professional football. Something that it would be dificult not to be proud of and want players under his management to achieve with the right grounding and coaching......would you describe Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson or Frank Riijkard as arrogant......I would and think that this is what makes them winners as opposed to losers.

My source was a Hibs player who currently is still at Hibs. And I will say no more on who it is.

I think your just brown noseing JC far too much sure he won us a cup which is class.. but a mean come on your reasoning on the players who he brought in were all gash. You and I and everyone else on this forum knows that, and your reason behind them being gash is because they were weary of a hard days graft. Surely you have to admit all the players and I mean all the players he signed were below average to rank rotten.:confused:

However fairplay to you on your point about John Hughes with Falkirk etc you've proved me wrong there.

But..your point on how brillant his CV was able to back up his cocky attitude doesn't make sense. He hadn't managed any football club before hand. Yes he was a well known scottish footballer and was successful but he had never managed before in his puff, so how does that allow him to act full of himself when he had just tipped his feet into the baby pool of managing a football club.:confused:

Also having John Collins in the same sentence as Jose Mourhino and Sir alex is not right. He won us a cup well done but that doesn't make you a genius in the dugout for eternity

Cameron1875
18-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Sorry to disagree but we never won a derby, lost the scottish cup replay, got knocked out CIS cup early doors, Lost 6 out of 8 against the Old Firm and got gubbed in Europe. That doesnt strike me as getting his team up for the big games.

I understand people want to defend Yogi cause he is a good hibby but it just didnt quite work out with him but if anyone deserved a crack at the job it was him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Which games were these, and are we the only club that happens to? And the point of bringing Stokes and Riordan to the club was to score goals, it would have been silly not to play them?

Certainly seemed silly in Maribor to see them both on the bench!

truehibernian
18-01-2011, 06:54 AM
My source was a Hibs player who currently is still at Hibs. And I will say no more on who it is.

I think your just brown noseing JC far too much sure he won us a cup which is class.. but a mean come on your reasoning on the players who he brought in were all gash. You and I and everyone else on this forum knows that, and your reason behind them being gash is because they were weary of a hard days graft. Surely you have to admit all the players and I mean all the players he signed were below average to rank rotten.:confused:

However fairplay to you on your point about John Hughes with Falkirk etc you've proved me wrong there.

But..your point on how brillant his CV was able to back up his cocky attitude doesn't make sense. He hadn't managed any football club before hand. Yes he was a well known scottish footballer and was successful but he had never managed before in his puff, so how does that allow him to act full of himself when he had just tipped his feet into the baby pool of managing a football club.:confused:

Also having John Collins in the same sentence as Jose Mourhino and Sir alex is not right. He won us a cup well done but that doesn't make you a genius in the dugout for eternity

Far from "brown nosing", I think JC was liked by many players at Hibernian, judging by comments made by then Hibs players, and three current Hibs players that played under him.

Regards attitude/arrogance..........John Collins won medals in Scotland, France, played (and scored) in World Cups and Euros, and was widely respected by his peers in both France and England. If that does not give a pro footballer the right to be 1) proud of his achievements and 2) a little dismayed when he sees players who have achieved nothing question his methods, picked up from managers when he was a successful player, then no, I don't agree with one word you say.

Be less blinkered as well when questioning the comparison with Sir Alex and Mourinho. My point was that successful people in all walks of life have a touch of arrogance and self importance.......most would not be successful otherwise. JC may indeed have had less man management skills than others, but he wanted to kind of revolutionise Hibs and the way we train and play. Was he given the toold and finance......no. Some of his signings were indeed poor. Any manager is guilty of that though if you scrutinise it to the nth degree.

Lucius Apuleius
18-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Yogi got us to 4th and into Europe quite simply because over the period of the whole season, we had better results than the team in 5th and worse than the team in 3rd.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Certainly seemed silly in Maribor to see them both on the bench!

I agree yet its funny, we were sitting in a bar in Maribor on the morning of the game. And the journalist who covered the match for the BBC, his name escapes me came in. He told us the team, this was around 11-12. We all discussed it, and could see the thinking behind it, in fact there was only one lad who was completely against it.

Hindsights a great thing, and it might have made the score closer, who knows?

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I agree yet its funny, we were sitting in a bar in Maribor on the morning of the game. And the journalist who covered the match for the BBC, his name escapes me came in. He told us the team, this was around 11-12. We all discussed it, and could see the thinking behind it, in fact there was only one lad who was completely against it.

Hindsights a great thing, and it might have made the score closer, who knows?

I never had the pleasure of being in that pub I don't think, but, when I was standing in the pishing rain at the game I couldnae see the merits of his actions, still don't to be honest. Doubt it would have made much difference after the event though! :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 10:01 AM
I never had the pleasure of being in that pub I don't think, but, when I was standing in the pishing rain at the game I couldnae see the merits of his actions, still don't to be honest. Doubt it would have made much difference after the event though! :dunno:

You should have stood beside us, we had a roof protecting us from the rain. :wink:

An Leargaidh
18-01-2011, 10:08 AM
:agree: Well said. I think less and less in the last 20-25 years have players been able to move to a club, any club or at least most clubs, and align themselves with that club, i.e. actually believe in the football and believe in trying to forward the club for the sake of the club and the supporters. I know we have Hibbies in our squad just now but you'd never know it. Some of the most determined efforts I've seen recently have been from definite non-Hibbies, just players trying to make a good effort for the fans and for their employer.

Every day in the news it's this manager has been sacked, that manager is under threat of the sack unless his team suddenly win everything. Maybe some managers do need to move on but in our case I think a large (LARGE) number of the players need to move on. What is the interview process for teams these days? Does player attitude form part of the process as well as previous / proven performance? Certain players at Hibs right now wouldn't keep their job if they worked in a factory so I don't understand why they keep them in a football team. At the end of the day they are workers employed by a company and some of them don't deserve the job :grr:

Sighhh its not Calderwood's fault atm. Its the players... ...Guarantee you getting another manager isn't happening just now and it wouldn't make a difference. This season is a write off from the start. Give the manager time before starting calling for his head. Its those rank rotten players on the pitch with no gumption for the club.

Keith_M
18-01-2011, 10:43 AM

That wasn't a complaint, as I was happy with every win. We had two fantastic strikers on fire, which covered up for deficiencies in the rest of the side. Unfortunately, that didn't carry on throughout the rest of the season.

CC now has to attempt to get almost the same team back on track without the benefit of the top scorer. The deficiencies being covered for by Stokes/Riordan are now obvious to everybody.

Hibee Daz
18-01-2011, 10:50 AM
By praying to Jesus, Allah and Buddha every night! :pray::pray::pray:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2011, 10:52 AM
You should have stood beside us, we had a roof protecting us from the rain. :wink:

:greengrin Come on now BH, you know what I mean!

Andy74
18-01-2011, 10:59 AM
That wasn't a complaint, as I was happy with every win. We had two fantastic strikers on fire, which covered up for deficiencies in the rest of the side. Unfortunately, that didn't carry on throughout the rest of the season.

CC now has to attempt to get almost the same team back on track without the benefit of the top scorer. The deficiencies being covered for by Stokes/Riordan are now obvious to everybody.

Not strictly true is it? We had up to about christmas one of the best defence records in decades.

Good defence, keeper doing well, strikers doing well, mcbride and miller combining well with zemmama on fire, sounds like a team that were doing well to me??

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Not strictly true is it? We had up to about christmas one of the best defence records in decades.

Good defence, keeper doing well, strikers doing well, mcbride and miller combining well with zemmama on fire, sounds like a team that were doing well to me??

Lucky?????:wink: I suppose we could do with some of it now.

Arch Stanton
18-01-2011, 11:18 AM

:agree: Except that, once the opposition figured how to keep us out of games it all stopped.

J-C
18-01-2011, 11:22 AM
:agree: Except that, once the opposition figured how to keep us out of games it all stopped.

Add suspensions/injuries/players off form and Yogi had no back up plan eccept making 16 players run down their contracts to get rid of them.