PDA

View Full Version : Riordan As A Lone Striker

seanraff07
15-01-2011, 05:27 PM
It just doesn't work IMO, every time they put in a cross today it was normally just Riordan anywhere near it but he doesn't even attempt to attack it. He can't flick on or hold the ball up either which is why we need someone alongside him or he's just not the same player.

I've been impressed with Duffy so far and thought he done well today when he came on, i think we should play Duffy upfront with Riordan just behind him therefore Riordan can get much more chances to shoot from outside the box and Duffy looks like the type of player that will take chances when they come his way.

I wasn't a fan of Riordan playing left-mid last season but i'm starting to understand why Yogi played him there, i don't think he should play out wide though, just up the middle sitting off Duffy.:agree:

PeeJay
15-01-2011, 05:29 PM
It just doesn't work IMO, every time they put in a cross today it was normally just Riordan anywhere near it but he doesn't even attempt to attack it. He can't flick on or hold the ball up either which is why we need someone alongside him or he's just not the same player.

I've been impressed with Duffy so far and thought he done well today when he came on, i think we should play Duffy upfront with Riordan just behind him therefore Riordan can get much more chances to shoot from outside the box and Duffy looks like the type of player that will take chances when they come his way.

I wasn't a fan of Riordan playing left-mid last season but i'm starting to understand why Yogi played him there, i don't think he should play out wide though, just up the middle sitting off Duffy.:agree:

Fair point, but one of the main reasons people wanted Yogi to go was because he played Riordan there and not up front, if I recall - funny that. Think you are spot on with Duffy - when he's match fit he could be a great asset ...

seanraff07
15-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Fair point, but one of the main reasons people wanted Yogi to go was because he played Riordan there and not up front, if I recall - funny that. Think you are spot on with Duffy - when he's match fit he could be a great asset ...

I wasn't happy with Riordan being stuck out wide but i also wasn't overly fussed with him playing upfront just as long as he's playing up the middle with plenty of opportunities to have a dig at goal. Although i like Riordan upfront when theres someone good playing alongside him e.g Fletcher, O'Connor, Stokes.

Andy74
15-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I wasn't happy with Riordan being stuck out wide but i also wasn't overly fussed with him playing upfront just as long as he's playing up the middle with plenty of opportunities to have a dig at goal. Although i like Riordan upfront when theres someone good playing alongside him e.g Fletcher, O'Connor, Stokes.

Playing in the middle won't get him more chances. He's shown time and again he scores goals from coming in from wide and hitting 20 yarders.

Cant recall him scoring many one on ones for example.