PDA

View Full Version : No midfield

ancient hibee
15-01-2011, 03:14 PM
You just cannot win a football match without a midfield.That's it really.

skipster7
15-01-2011, 03:17 PM
or an attack

ackeygraham
15-01-2011, 03:19 PM
why does it matter - he plays direct football....just doesnt have the squad for that. he is garbage....yogi played better footy and had better results....

Andy74
15-01-2011, 03:20 PM
or an attack

Riordan's true position seems to have been left midfield after all. How many goals and assists last year? Never an out and out front player. Ayr will be delighted if turn out like that in the week!

Stokes for me is the most natural forward we've had at the club in some time, not Riordan.

new malkyhib
15-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Riordan's true position seems to have been left midfield after all. How many goals and assists last year? Never an out and out front player. Ayr will be delighted if turn out like that in the week!

Stokes for me is the most natural forward we've had at the club in some time, not Riordan.

He was - but your mate the tache sold him on the last day of the transfer window though.

ancient hibee
15-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Stokes is very slow -he won't be in that team once the injuries clear up.

sunshine1875
15-01-2011, 03:25 PM

I disagree with that. Deeks, when given the opportunity, is the best forward that we have had at ER in recent years. Yes, Stokes was good, but he missed a lot as well. IIRC he missed a lot of chances until he started getting his confidence up.

The fact that he usually is played out wide left, still does not hide the fact that he is still a forward rather than a midfielder.

skipster7
15-01-2011, 03:26 PM

still believe he can play off a target man but never ever ever up front on his own.he just wont move unless its to put him 1 on 1:rolleyes:

Bookkeeper
15-01-2011, 03:26 PM

...or players that can't pass to a team mate.

Albion Hibs
15-01-2011, 03:28 PM

Left midfield, if at all. I think today we saw how much more effort stokes actually puts into a game. Their first goal was from a forward running into the space behing the full back an crossing in, Riordan never does that. That it a huge part of the game / our attack that we are missing.

sunshine1875
I disagree with that. Deeks, when given the opportunity, is the best forward that we have had at ER in recent years. Yes, Stokes was good, but he missed a lot as well. IIRC he missed a lot of chances until he started getting his confidence up.

The fact that he usually is played out wide left, still does not hide the fact that he is still a forward rather than a midfielder.

Sorry, meant to also agree with the OP. We have not had a midfield for yonks now!

Andy74

Fair enough but i'd take stokes every time and his goals to games ratio from Falkirk on through must be up there with anyone the spl has had.

Riordan can fair crack them in from 20 yards but I'm not seeing much else from him these days.

At The Edge
15-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I've said for many a week to my mates that Hibs seriously need a midfield player who can create or take a bit of responsability. Colin if your reading, sort the midfield as a priority, :agree:

Largshibby
15-01-2011, 03:57 PM
The midfield along with the vast majority of the rest of the team are too small and lightweight. De Graff is big enough but doesn't seem able to cut it in our league. Bamba provided some muscle so we sold him. When we played Blackburn and Bolton in 09/10 pre-season they looked like giants compared to us and we left thankful we wouldn't face anything like that again. But even Scottish teams are bigger and able to bully their way over us. The problem has been there for a long time. Forget the fancy football and playing "the Hibs way" - whatever that is - a hard athletic team in this division guarantees mid-table. Add a bit of skill from one or two individuals and you are looking at top four.

calumb
15-01-2011, 04:16 PM
The midfield along with the vast majority of the rest of the team are too small and lightweight. De Graff is big enough but doesn't seem able to cut it in our league. Bamba provided some muscle so we sold him. When we played Blackburn and Bolton in 09/10 pre-season they looked like giants compared to us and we left thankful we wouldn't face anything like that again. But even Scottish teams are bigger and able to bully their way over us. The problem has been there for a long time. Forget the fancy football and playing "the Hibs way" - whatever that is - a hard athletic team in this division guarantees mid-table. Add a bit of skill from one or two individuals and you are looking at top four.

Thats a fairly spot on description of where we are as a team and what we need to do to change it.
My impression of todays game was that there were large area's of the park with no Hibs players in them, which celtc loved running into.

greenlex
15-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Poor midfield and absolute no and I mean no movement up front.