PDA

View Full Version : Would we be in a worse position if John Hughes had stayed?

andrew_dundee
15-01-2011, 02:39 PM
would we?

Andy74
15-01-2011, 02:44 PM
would we?

No. We were playing better before and at least were creating and missing chances. Zouma and Duffy would have helped that.

Remember De Graaf missing every week? Posts hit, penalties missed? Where's al that now?

Hughes just been on radio saying it was hysteria basically that got him the sack and that he had wanted to do a two out one in process to up the quality.

I'm not seeing what we've achieved with sacking him.

Captain Trips
15-01-2011, 02:46 PM
No. We were playing better before and at least were creating and missing chances. Zouma and Duffy would have helped that.

Remember De Graaf missing every week? Posts hit, penalties missed? Where's al that now?

Hughes just been on radio saying it was hysteria basically that got him the sack and that he had wanted to do a two out one in process to up the quality.

I'm not seeing what we've achieved with sacking him.

Andy it has happened an agreement :agree:, Hughes did deserve to go probably but it had to be for a manager with real papers. CC is like for like and it has failed.

nortonhibby
15-01-2011, 02:56 PM
would we?

Probably not 8 points from a possible 36 is Colins Record its hard to be much worse than that bottom line is we are stuck with what we have it would cost us a packet to get rid of him but unless we start to improve it could cost us more if he stays does RP Back him with cash for new players or is Colins position in doubt if RP Is now doubting his appointment that could be the reason there are no new players arriving.
I Am starting to think RP Has remitted Colin to keep us up with the squad currently at his disposal if he can do this then we have the summer break to bring in new players dump the current ones that are out of contract and review Colins position then.

BSEJVT
15-01-2011, 02:59 PM
As someone who had long had enough of Hughes, even I must agree things have got considerably worse under Calderwood.

There were two home games in a row, ICT & Hamilton which we could easily have won and had we done so this would probably have bought Hughes more time.

We are now dreadful, no consistency of selection, horrible to watch, create nothing and even the basics seem beyond our current squad.

Hughes has much to be blamed for and really needed to go IMO, the only pity is that we have replaced him with someone who seems utterly clueless.

snooky
15-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Probably not 8 points from a possible 36 is Colins Record its hard to be much worse than that bottom line is we are stuck with what we have it would cost us a packet to get rid of him but unless we start to improve it could cost us more if he stays does RP Back him with cash for new players or is Colins position in doubt if RP Is now doubting his appointment that could be the reason there are no new players arriving.
I Am starting to think RP Has remitted Colin to keep us up with the squad currently at his disposal if he can do this then we have the summer break to bring in new players dump the current ones that are out of contract and review Colins position then.

:agree: It's like jumping off a skyscraper with the intent of buying a parachute on the way down.

nortonhibby
15-01-2011, 03:07 PM
As someone who had long had enough of Hughes, even I must agree things have got considerably worse under Calderwood.

There were two home games in a row, ICT & Hamilton which we could easily have won and had we done so this would probably have bought Hughes more time.

We are now dreadful, no consistency of selection, horrible to watch, create nothing and even the basics seem beyond our current squad.

Hughes has much to be blamed for and really needed to go IMO, the only pity is that we have replaced him with someone who seems utterly clueless.

Good post i think the board have now realised this and do not want to back Colin with cash.
The decision was correct to get rid of Yogi but i fear the wrong person has been appointed who appears to be even worse than Yogi.

BEEJ
15-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Well surprise, surprise!

Nice of Yogi to exploit the club's current situation with a healthy dose of self-justification and hand-washing.

Did he also confess, based on today's match, that he messed up big time with his signing of de Graaf, on whom he squandered a disproportionate share of the club's player salary budget?

Ferryhibby
15-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Didnt think Hughes shouldve been punted but he has and we have left what is there, dont think anyone couldve instilled confidence in this bunch, even Craig Brown, each week that passes with nless and less chances and confidence waining away must tell the manager something hes already punted or about to punt Nish,Hogg,Rankin etc players we all wanted rid off and now after todays woeful performance hopefully Degraff, hes still got time to bring in a couple of players before window shuts, to me needs 3 players at moment all midfielders.

RickyS
15-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Andy it has happened an agreement :agree:, Hughes did deserve to go probably but it had to be for a manager with real papers. CC is like for like and it has failed.
:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2011, 03:11 PM
think that we would be more or less in the same position but it would have been a very strange job interview if CC lobbed into RP's office and his opening sales pitch was to say I can't do any better than the last bloke. When you get a job because the last guy didn't do well, your opening line has to be a confident statement that you can improve what you already have.

andrew_dundee
15-01-2011, 03:12 PM
part of the reason for starting this thread was because it never feels like we keep managers long enough, we have had no consistency for years and i feel the team has been weaker as a result.

the point of this thread isn't that CC must go, it's that we shouldnt necceasarily have got rid of JH in the first place, especially not when we were in to the season and had just missed the chance to bring in new players- too much upheavel.

Andy74
15-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Well surprise, surprise!

Nice of Yogi to exploit the club's current situation with a healthy dose of self-justification and hand-washing.

Did he also confess, based on today's match, that he messed up big time with his signing of de Graaf, on whom he squandered a disproportionate share of the club's player salary budget?

Perhaps we've had a bit of a role in De Graaf's form and confidence? He wasn't exactly warmly supported.

Now though he has gone from getting in those positions to having to run about trying to chase things down which evidently isnt his game.

Perhaps in a Hughes team he'd have been getting chances and clicking with them now?

Anyway, this was a particular question about whether we'd have been any worse. I don't think that's possible.

Craig_in_Prague
15-01-2011, 03:18 PM
We were getting worse and worse under Hughes so no-one can be sure if we'd be in pretty much the same state as now, or not.

What about Mixu before Hughes? Should he not have got longer?

See the trend here?

Petrie, you've sacked 2 guys that didn't do all too badly, and now we have CC and are staring relegation in the face. Contract mess. Crowds declining rapidly.
time to seriously back your manager.

Cropley10
15-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Good post i think the board have now realised this and do not want to back Colin with cash.
The decision was correct to get rid of Yogi but i fear the wrong person has been appointed who appears to be even worse than Yogi.

I fear you may be right - Calderwood to be mutually consented and Adams to step up - by the end of the month I reckon. We've got a game away at Ayr then Motherwell and then home to Rangers...

The fact that we're on such thin ice and STILL dithering with no new players says it all for me. Petrie's cocked it up again. What an ego the man must have.

BEEJ
15-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Perhaps we've had a bit of a role in De Graaf's form and confidence? He wasn't exactly warmly supported.

Now though he has gone from getting in those positions to having to run about trying to chase things down which evidently isnt his game.

Perhaps in a Hughes team he'd have been getting chances and clicking with them now?
So we're back at blaming the supporters again and those self-fulfilling prophecies, Andy? :greengrin

The lengths you'll go to to defend John Hughes are truly remarkable.

It's unbelievable how with the passing of a few months so many have quickly forgotten Yogi's crucial role in steering us towards the mess we now find ourselves in.

RickyS
15-01-2011, 03:40 PM
So we're back at blaming the supporters again and those self-fulfilling prophecies, Andy? :greengrin

It's unbelievable how with the passing of a few months so many have quickly forgotten Yogi's crucial role in steering us towards the mess we now find ourselves in.

erskine-hibby
15-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Yogi was crap and we were heading in this general direction under his "leadership" since January. The problem with bringing in CC is that we didn't bring him in earlier and he has now got to sort out the mess left behind...but with what???
I don't think anyone (that would have been interested) that we brought in could change the mindset of this, so called, team.

Andy74
15-01-2011, 04:05 PM

You might be convinced Yogi had a crucial role in steering us here but I'm not. Yes we were poor particularly the last 4 months of last year, but not this poor.

I think all the chat about formations, tactics, interviews, being a bullly or being too pally. It was all rubbish and the lack of change since he had gone has shown that.

So the charge has moved on to poor signings. Not convinced on that one either and there were certainly plans to make big changes in the summer.

Still, we got what wanted on Hughes and here are, worse than ever.

RickyS
15-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Yogi was crap and we were heading in this general direction under his "leadership" since January. The problem with bringing in CC is that we didn't bring him in earlier and he has now got to sort out the mess left behind...but with what???
I don't think anyone (that would have been interested) that we brought in could change the mindset of this, so called, team.

we could argue all night about whether or not CC is better, but it can't be denied that Yogi deserved the sack, was it not 4/5 wins in 38 games? that would get Jose Mourinho sacked!

H!BEE
15-01-2011, 04:19 PM
coulda woulda shoulda.

sambajustice
15-01-2011, 04:32 PM
would we?

Probably about the same. Its that idiots fault (along with Petrie) that we're in the position we're in!!!

What are the BBC playing at getting him in to commentate on the game, infact how does Hughes have the brass neck to actually go in and do it. He's an absolute fud!!!

basehibby
15-01-2011, 04:46 PM
would we?

I certainly don't think we'd be any worse off if Hughes had stayed on - in fact, maybe better off as there'd be some continuity rather than the rip it up and start again cycle we now find ourselves back at the beginning of. That said, even as one of his backers, I was finding it very hard to defend him given the dire form on display in 2010.

Arch Stanton
15-01-2011, 04:54 PM
We would indeed be worse off if John Hughes had still been manager by virtue of the fact that John Hughes would be the manager.

His inane performance on the radio proved to me that it isn't his Leith accent that makes him sound ignorant it is his ignorance that does that.

Duffys13
15-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Anyway, this was a particular question about whether we'd have been any worse. I don't think that's possible.

Looking at De Graaf since he has signed i honestly don't think he has any attributes. Watch him run and change direction, it's like he has arthritus. I think an agent done a number on Hibs with this guy.

franco
15-01-2011, 05:09 PM
would we?

I doubt it mate to be honest i recon we are the worst team in the league at the moment.

northgreen24
15-01-2011, 06:33 PM
JH coment's on the radio just confirm why despit CC poor start were are far better off with him not being the manager. H:agree:e was asked if hibs were in trouble and he said that yes and he didnt think that there should be the young players on the bench as this was not the time for that. he thought that the experienced player shoudl be on trying to turn things around. so basically playing his on dross week in week out that got us in to this mess in the first place.:confused::confused:

Sammy7nil
15-01-2011, 06:50 PM
We may have been slightly beter off. BUT Yogi Had to go 10 months of utter dross and no light at the end of the tunnel was enough.

Is CC the man ??? Who knows

lobster
15-01-2011, 06:53 PM
We were getting worse and worse under Hughes so no-one can be sure if we'd be in pretty much the same state as now, or not.

What about Mixu before Hughes? Should he not have got longer?

See the trend here?

Petrie, you've sacked 2 guys that didn't do all too badly, and now we have CC and are staring relegation in the face. Contract mess. Crowds declining rapidly.
time to seriously back your manager.

Even if like many others I dont have much confidence in Calderwood given his wretched performance so far (with one notable exception) and uninspiring public persona, Petrie needs to support the guy and time will tell. Looks like the possibility of relegation is real. If so, the board needs to back Calderwood long term or get a new guy in.

erin go bragh
15-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Have to disagree with you regards de graff,he scored 2 goals in his first game at easter road,surley that should have been the launchpad for his hibs career[so all this pash about him lacking confidence i dont buy ,the guy is a dud and the sooner he is punted the better.As for the op , hughes had to go as he was ok when we were winning but once we went behind he didnt no how to change things to get us back into games.

hibeesjoe
15-01-2011, 07:04 PM
maybe CC should take a pitch to dragons den

Bishop Hibee
15-01-2011, 07:20 PM
We'll never know if we would have a few more points than we do now if Yogi had stayed.

What I do know is that I rate Yogi as the second worst manager we've had since I've been watching Hibs after Duff Jimmy. His pathetic signings in the summer were the nail in his coffin. I do wonder what role he had in the selling of Stokes. Any Hibs fan could have told Petrie that to sell him so late in the transfer window without a permanent, not a loan signing, replacement lined up was madness.

Assuming CC makes 2 or 3 signings in this transfer window, I reckon he's going to be here until the end of the season regardless of where we finish.

I Love Lamp
15-01-2011, 07:20 PM
We would indeed be worse off if John Hughes had still been manager by virtue of the fact that John Hughes would be the manager.

His inane performance on the radio proved to me that it isn't his Leith accent that makes him sound ignorant it is his ignorance that does that.

I agree with this. The job he did was, for the most part, uninspiring and he didn't inspire confidence with his comments either.

A club like Hibs needs to get its managerial appointments right because the amount of money required for pay-offs is money that cannot be diverted into strenghtening the squad. This means not getting quality players but rather endless filler. There's no club in the SPL which can do a Real Madrid and 'hire and fire' at will and still have people wanting to manage it.

That's why it's important that CC gets 2 years at least. Firstly, to give him a chance to set out his vision, change the squad etc but secondly because if the club develops a reputation for being a manager's graveyard and having a support with unrealistic expectations (although I don't think 10th is acceptable for a club like Hibs - that comment relates more to the Mixu 'mutual consenting') then no decent, experienced manager will touch us with a barge pole.

The Hibs job is a potentially brilliant one: great stadium and facilities, terrific city, good catchment area and, when things are going well, very supportive and enthusiastic fans. Giving CC two years should begin to 'detoxify' the way the job is viewed by the managerial and coaching fraternity. That way, maybe the likes of Craig Brown won't turn us down flat in future! That has to be the 5 year plan. CC gets two years and, if it's going well, keep him. If it's not, replace him with the decent manager we should then be able to attract.

I hoped for better with CC and, to be honest, I'm embarrassed by how enthusiastic I was about the appointment but this one has to be made to work somehow if the club is going to develop into what the fans deserve. You cannot have three 'permanent' managers in a season or you become the Newcastle of the north: a laughing stock.

Might be a load of nonsense but that's my two cents worth!

euro Hibby
15-01-2011, 07:23 PM
You obviously will never know if it would be bette ror worse. I for one was fed up with Yogi and his drivel. What I like about CC is that from day one he has said that the team is his and he has never tried to hide behind any sort of excuses.
He changes the team because I think he is looking to see anyway possible to improve the results. Unfortunately, the confidence of the players is shot ands with so many of them at the end of their contracts the problems are multiplied.

He can't say they are crap because he has to work with them !

How he continues to play Degraf is hard to work out because he is finished as a footballer. For the rest he uses whats available and for now has not used young players as he probably feels that thats unfair on them and would not help their development if the results don't improve.

Sure a Craig Brown wss a better option as manger but rumour is that he was not interested.
Today was really hopless so it looks like its going to get worse unless we can pull a couple of players out of the hat and we could also do with some of yogi's gold dust which was so often mentioned but rarely see at Easter road.