PDA

View Full Version : Feel Sorry For Calderwood?

hibee_patty
15-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Anyone feel sorry for Colin Calderwood? He will be judged so far on how he has done with our team... But i dont think anyone could of turned this team around in the time he has had. We have players that have no fight and passion. All individual players that are playing for themselves but what can Calderwood do about this? We have to stick by him until he has had time to put his stamp on the team (bring in his own players) and if he fails we then have to look at a replacement.

Thoughts?

Riordans Boots
15-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Anyone feel sorry for Colin Calderwood? He will be judged so far on how he has done with our team... But i dont think anyone could of turned this team around in the time he has had. We have players that have no fight and passion. All individual players that are playing for themselves but what can Calderwood do about this? We have to stick by him until he has had time to put his stamp on the team (bring in his own players) and if he fails we then have to look at a replacement.

Thoughts?

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?201811-Colin-Calderwood

hibee_patty
15-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Took my time posting this as watching the game never realised the other thread

Riordans Boots
15-01-2011, 12:43 PM

A forgot to mention - I do feel sorry for CC :agree:

Hibtastic
15-01-2011, 12:43 PM

He has got no options on the field or on the bench. We need to stop blaming managers and let one at least build a team. I feel very sorry for him.

Peevemor
15-01-2011, 12:44 PM
He has got no options on the field or on the bench. We need to stop blaming managers and let one at least build a team. I feel very sorry for him.

:agree:

Wait until he's had a couple of transer windows.

Dan Sarf
15-01-2011, 12:45 PM
1341: "Colin Calderwood knows neither his best Hibs 11, nor his best formation." BBC Radio Scotland commentator David Begg

He does now.

Captain Trips
15-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes if the play had changed, I feel sorry for him but dont want that confused with thinking he is right man. IMO he doesnt offer much that Hughes had.

Danderhall Hibs
15-01-2011, 12:48 PM

I feel sorry for him because he's been left with a bunch of players that don't care. They don't have any professional pride nor do they care if they'll have a job in the summer.

I feel sorry for him because he's halfway through the transfer window and it would seem our budget hasn't allowed him to sign anyone he thinks is better than we already have.

I do worry thought that he still doesn't know his best 11 or how to motivate them.

SRHibs
15-01-2011, 12:49 PM
With the majority of our players out of contract at the end of the season, it seems most of them have resigned themselves to the fact that they won't be getting renewals. As a result, it looks like we have a squad of players who really couldn't give a ****.

I'll be content if we manage to avoid relegation this season. Going to avoid judging CC until he's stamped his own mark on HFC.

DC_Hibs
15-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Nah, starting to lose patience with him.

Not making a change until more than 5 mins after we were 3 doon is unfathomable.

I have always backed him and said he needs two transfer windows but as time goes by my doubts increase.

He is also chopping and changing the team which is understandable to a certain extent when we are not getting results but people are bombed out completely from being first picks (rankin, trakys) and then others make a lazarus type recovery into the team (stevenson, mcbride).

I would also be interested to find out more on his abilities in relation to Training, Motivation, Tactical etc

I'm not calling for his head yet though!

RMQ1967
15-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Thoughts?

No. Presumably he knows he's inherited a bunch of useless, brainless, gutless cloggers & knows what he needs to do to change it.

When you look & listen to him he doesn't look upset or frustrated - he knows why we're garbage & I'd be surprised if there's even 3 of those morons on the pitch he'd choose to keep.

stoneyburn hibs
15-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I feel very sorry for calderwood, whats he meant to do with that hopeless bunch, even if we get one or two additions in this window will it make that much of a difference , hope it does but cant see it.

Captain Trips
15-01-2011, 12:54 PM
With the majority of our players out of contract at the end of the season, it seems most of them have resigned themselves to the fact that they won't be getting renewals. As a result, it looks like we have a squad of players who really couldn't give a ****.

I'll be content if we manage to avoid relegation this season. Going to avoid judging CC until he's stamped his own mark on HFC.

He has stamped it, I agree these players are murder and look disinterested, CC has showen he cannot get anything out of them they look even worse than before, I havent seen an incling of anything positive for last 2 months.

sesoim
15-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Thoughts?

Craig Brown inherited a worse team at Aberdeen and he started getting results straight away. Our squad isn't great thanks to Hughes, but if CC was a decent manager he should have had more of an impact.

coco22
15-01-2011, 12:57 PM
definitely feel sorry for CC. i know there are certain sections of support calling for a replacement already - this will achieve nothing, other than passing the current squad onto someone else in hope of a miracle. massive squad changes required but CC must be given time and backing to make these changes. this is the only way that the club will begin to go back in the right direction.

sesoim
15-01-2011, 12:59 PM

But he isn't a good manager, so why stick with him? I blame Petrie though, he is the guy that keeps on making rubbish appointments. The other Calderwood (Jimmy) would have had us in midtable by now, but Petrie and too many of the fans were snooty about appointing him, even though he has proved time and time again he is a good SPL manager.

Captain Trips
15-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Craig Brown inherited a worse team at Aberdeen and he started getting results straight away. Our squad isn't great thanks to Hughes, but if CC was a decent manager he should have had more of an impact.

Agreed, if we were still losing but I saw some tactical changes I would think ok, seeing absolutley nothing.

Hibby 2005
15-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Sums it up. You can give Calderwood all the transfer windows you like, he doesn't appear to know what he's doing.

SloopJB
15-01-2011, 01:02 PM
There's no reason to feel sorry for him, the reason he was offered the job was because the team were not good enough for the previous manager to remain in post.

He knew the team were poor otherwise he wouldn't be in a position to be offered the job.
It shouldn't matter if was promised funds to strengthen during this transfer window or not as showing an interest, or, making an offer are both miles apart from signing a player. The player has to be willing to come to us, their club have to be willing to sell to us and the finances for all concerned have to be right.

A tall order.

The_Todd
15-01-2011, 01:02 PM
He probably had no idea the size of the task he'd taken on, I feel sorry for him on that one.

PeeJay
15-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Thoughts?

You have to be joking, surely? Why should anyone feel sorry for him: it's his job, and he is not making a good one of it. Everyone in the ground and us watching on tv could see that DeGraff was having an awful game today, but CC waits until the 77 minute or whenever it was before making a change: why? Another thing that riles me: he's the manager, so why does he permit Brown to hoof the ball up the park only to lose it (almost every time) because we have no-on on the park up front who can win an aerial duell? Why is the back four not properly organised: as a unit? What do they do at the training ground, what do they talk about? Or is Calderwood's job just to pick eleven names out of the hat?-No need to be sorry, if you ask me, we should be asking what the hell he thinks he's up to?

sesoim
15-01-2011, 01:05 PM
definitely feel sorry for CC. i know there are certain sections of support calling for a replacement already - this will achieve nothing, other than passing the current squad onto someone else in hope of a miracle. massive squad changes required but CC must be given time and backing to make these changes. this is the only way that the club will begin to go back in the right direction.

So the standard of manager you have doesn't affect results? Try telling Inter Milan after the last couple of years. Or look at Scotland's results under Walter Smith compared to Levein, Burley and Vogts. I could go on....

I will say it again - CC is not a good manager, he wasn't liked in England, he wont motivate or inspire that team, quite frankly he comes across as clueless and vacant. Petrie should be shot for appointing him - how could he be impressed after interviewing him? Anybody with a brain can see Hibs have bolloxed up yet another managerial appointment.

hibsbollah
15-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Calderwood has just said

'it doesnt matter how good the performance is if you get beat 3-0 at home'

:rolleyes:

Captain Trips
15-01-2011, 01:09 PM
So the standard of manager you have doesn't affect results? Try telling Inter Milan after the last couple of years. Or look at Scotland's results under Walter Smith compared to Levein, Burley and Vogts. I could go on....

I will say it again - CC is not a good manager, he wasn't liked in England, he wont motivate or inspire that team, quite frankly he comes across as clueless and vacant. Petrie should be shot for appointing him - how could he be impressed after interviewing him? Anybody with a brain can see Hibs have bolloxed up yet another managerial appointment.

Unfortunatly I think thats spot on.

sesoim
15-01-2011, 01:10 PM
There's no reason to feel sorry for him, the reason he was offered the job was because the team were not good enough for the previous manager to remain in post.

He knew the team were poor otherwise he wouldn't be in a position to be offered the job.
It shouldn't matter if was promised funds to strengthen during this transfer window or not as showing an interest, or, making an offer are both miles apart from signing a player. The player has to be willing to come to us, their club have to be willing to sell to us and the finances for all concerned have to be right.

A tall order.

I can't see ANY decent players wanting to join Hibs just now. Would anybody want to play for us with the manager we have and the way we are playing? I don't see anything changing until we have a new, more inspirng guy in charge.

At best, we'll have to hope that, if CC stays in charge, that we can at least get good players on loan, stay up, and then rebuild in the summer.

francobaresi
15-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I feel sorry for us, the supporters who have to endure this torture on a weekly/annual basis. And we have to pay for the privilege. Privilege is the wrong word, that means an opportunity to do something regarded as a special honour... Ho hum...:flag:

Elephant Stone
15-01-2011, 01:12 PM
He seems to be far too content with the performance, not what you want to be hearing.

snooky
15-01-2011, 01:13 PM
What about the window? We need players in NOW! I've heard the "There's been a hitch along the way (Tache?)" so many times. How come other clubs seem to get players signed nae problem?
I can see the deadline approach, none or one signing and the same old coming out "We're happy with the squad we've got. Summer's the time for new signings"
That old 'stick and carrot trick'.

One obvious major g(r)affe by CC today.
Also, subs made too late & Duffy should have started IMO.

I thought Lewis & Hanlon did okay.

sh00byd00
15-01-2011, 01:15 PM
It's the players and the players alone that need the kick up the arse. How many managers have passed through the doors in recent years only for the players to lose interest after they hit a rough patch? that's why i firmly believe it's time to get an experienced manager in so the players know they're working with someone who has walked the walk so to speak.

We need someone who'll tell the likes of Deeks to go **** himself if he starts to speak out of line and to remind the players he's managed better players than the ***** we currently have.

We need someone who the players will respect and look up to, not some young whipper snapper who has nothing to fall back on if/when the players begin to think they're here because they happen to think they're here doing us a favour rather than the other way about.

I wouldn't be sad to see any of the current crop leave in the summer, not one of them.

heretoday
15-01-2011, 01:17 PM
That's us half way through January and still no signings.

I mean I know the window is a load of hype and nonsense usually but Hibs' situation is approaching critical. :confused:

Beefster
15-01-2011, 01:18 PM
But he isn't a good manager, so why stick with him? I blame Petrie though, he is the guy that keeps on making rubbish appointments. The other Calderwood (Jimmy) would have had us in midtable by now, but Petrie and too many of the fans were snooty about appointing him, even though he has proved time and time again he is a good SPL manager.

Hiya pal.

Here's Colin Calderwood's Wikipedia page so that you can be reminded of his managerial record for the umpeenth time. For the record, he has better stats as a manager than Jimmy Calderwood. Please don't keep making me repeat myself. Please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Calderwood#Manager

BWhiteman1972
15-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I have no sympathy for him. Knowing how many players were out of contract this summer he should have within the first month fully assessed the squad and known exactly who he wanted to keep and who was going.

The players he wants should have been offered new contracts and the others told to find new clubs. In assessing the squad he should have been to see what positions need strengthened and at least organised loan signings for the start of this month to strengthen the squad enough to keep us in the division and then brought in the players we need in the summer transfer window.

IMHO it looks like he hasn't got a clue as to who he wants to keep, who's not being offered a contract, what his best 11 are and in fact any understanding of tactics.

Yes we have a squad full of players who are poor at best and just don't care about the position the club is in. Why should they? How can you expect a bunch of players to give everything to keep us in the division when we're going to make them unemployed in 5 months?

As others have said, Craig Brown has made an immediate impact at Aberdeen, Jimmy Calderwood usually makes an immediate impact wherever he goes as do other managers. CC looks lost and out of his depth and that is not what this club needs in a relegation fight.

Petrie needs to hold his hands up for another poor managerial signing. Yes he has done wonder for the club regarding finances, the stadium, the training ground etc. In the position we are in now however we need someone who understands what the footballing side of the club needs and assist the manager in every way possible to make the changes needed to the squad to bring success.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I dont feel sorry for him, Im sure hes getting well paid, the only folk to feel sorry for are us!

PeeJay
15-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Hiya pal.

Here's Colin Calderwood's Wikipedia page so that you can be reminded of his managerial record for the umpeenth time. For the record, he has better stats as a manager than Jimmy Calderwood. Please don't keep making me repeat myself. Please.

Played 13 - lost 8 drawn 3 won 2 - This is all that counts for us, surely? Not good really...Wikipedia pah!..

Captain Trips
15-01-2011, 01:28 PM
hurtado had a great record before he joined us but it didnt work, CC regardless of his last jobs has shown nothing in any department and I cant actually listen to him talk much longer.

sh00byd00
15-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Hiya pal.

Yeah, and Mixu is doing a great job at Killie, so past endeavours mean squat in football.

eastmainsmsh
15-01-2011, 01:38 PM
4 year contract big wage , flash car,etc

No i dont feel sorry for CC

I feel sorry for Yogi as this current team had Hibs flying for a spell and look where we are now

cmon eh who are we kidding

Calderwoods no better than Yogi imo :agree:

Beefster
15-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Played 13 - lost 8 drawn 3 won 2 - This is all that counts for us, surely? Not good really...Wikipedia pah!..

Yeah, and Mixu is doing a great job at Killie, so past endeavours mean squat in football.

I'm disputing the myth that his managerial record before Hibs was pish and that Jimmy Calderwood has a better record than him. If folk are allowed to repeat nonsense on here often enough, it becomes fact.

As for his record, I'll judge him when he's had a fair shot at sorting out the mess left by Hughes. Having said that, he got his tactics wrong today but I'd imagine that he's having to adjust the tactics to try and get something from the dross on the park.

greenlex
15-01-2011, 01:44 PM
This is about where Iam DC.
How Spoony and or DeGraff wasn't replaced after we went two down is beyond me. n
Nah, starting to lose patience with him.

Not making a change until more than 5 mins after we were 3 doon is unfathomable.

I have always backed him and said he needs two transfer windows but as time goes by my doubts increase.

He is also chopping and changing the team which is understandable to a certain extent when we are not getting results but people are bombed out completely from being first picks (rankin, trakys) and then others make a lazarus type recovery into the team (stevenson, mcbride).

I would also be interested to find out more on his abilities in relation to Training, Motivation, Tactical etc

I'm not calling for his head yet though!

PeeJay
15-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm disputing the myth that his managerial record before Hibs was pish and that Jimmy Calderwood has a better record than him. If folk are allowed to repeat nonsense on here often enough, it becomes fact.

As for his record, I'll judge him when he's had a fair shot at sorting out the mess left by Hughes. Having said that, he got his tactics wrong today but I'd imagine that he's having to adjust the tactics to try and get something from the dross on the park.

Calderwood's record before Hibs is irrelevant, Yogi is irrelevant, NOW is all that counts - he is not doing well. Hamilton were better organised than we were today: is it really all down to the players on the park?

Beefster
15-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Calderwood's record before Hibs is irrelevant, Yogi is irrelevant, NOW is all that counts - he is not doing well. Hamilton were better organised than we were today: is it really all down to the players on the park?

I've said he made mistakes today but the players are largely responsible. They haven't got any courage, desire or the ability to control a ball between them.

Calderwood's past record is irrelevant but I'm still going to correct someone if they're talking rubbish about it. Especially when they repeat the same nonsense every day.

RickyS
15-01-2011, 02:03 PM
What about the window? We need players in NOW! I've heard the "There's been a hitch along the way (Tache?)" so many times. How come other clubs seem to get players signed nae problem?
I can see the deadline approach, none or one signing and the same old coming out "We're happy with the squad we've got. Summer's the time for new signings"
That old 'stick and carrot trick'.

One obvious major g(r)affe by CC today.
Also, subs made too late & Duffy should have started IMO.

I thought Lewis & Hanlon did okay.

stumbling blocks everywhere, are we the only team not to have bought yet? apart from the huns of course

BEEJ
15-01-2011, 02:18 PM
4 year contract big wage , flash car,etc

No i dont feel sorry for CC

I feel sorry for Yogi as this current team had Hibs flying for a spell and look where we are now

cmon eh who are we kidding

Calderwoods no better than Yogi imo :agree:
It's a three year contract.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20101018/colin-calderwood-appointed-manager_2262950_2188620

His predecessor was on a four year contract.

ackeygraham
15-01-2011, 02:24 PM
sorry - nope.

supposed to be a manager, manage....do you get to change all your staff in a normal working scenario...dont think so

the boy is murder....even worse than yogi and his tactics are zero....ive seen enough as he has his work cut out in two weeks to "bring in his own team". cant see if happen....give it to adams now or we're going down once we get beat of hamilton.

PeeJay
15-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I've said he made mistakes today but the players are largely responsible. They haven't got any courage, desire or the ability to control a ball between them.

Calderwood's past record is irrelevant but I'm still going to correct someone if they're talking rubbish about it. Especially when they repeat the same nonsense every day.

So when Brown constantly kicks the ball up the park to Hibs players who never ever win a header, wheerupon we lose possession and this remains the case over several games, it's ALL Brown's fault and the players but not Calderwood's for spotting it and fixing it - a simple matter actually? Not to even mention several other aspects of the Hibs game, that is. Do you perhaps feel the players are actively working against the club and maybe even the supporters and - manager?

Andy74
15-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Heard most of last year it was all about tactics, formations, how players were treated.

I'd have expected to see a difference by now if those were true. I mean, the players we have playing usually are better than Chisholm, Keenan, maka, van zanten, Hogg and the likes so better players have been brought here.

So no, no real sympathy. At least we had chances tonwin our games early this season.

Expecting Rain
15-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Mixed feelings regarding the manager, he`s arrived at a bad time but on the other hand we look totally shapeless at times. To be fair he`s shuffled a bad hand around and gave everybody a chance but every other team in the league looks better organised irrespective of their quality or lack of it in most cases.
I think he`s had a good hard look at what he`s got and will hopefully bring a few players in by the end of the month and then he will have to be more consistent in selection terms and try to develop a style that first and foremost keep us in the league [ sad to say] there appears to be no quick fix solution at the moment.
Wether the supporters including myself have the patience is another matter, we could begin to get everybody back on board by beating Ayr United, the players have to get behind and respect the manager regardless of their individual futures.

Cropley10
15-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Don't think he'll be here much longer tbh.

Adams is waiting in the wings. That was no accident.

I'd love him to turn it around, but on the evidence of what I've watched, and the usual excuses about not getting players in and I think the writing is on the wall.

RickyS
15-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't think he'll be here much longer tbh.

Adams is waiting in the wings. That was no accident.

I'd love him to turn it around, but on the evidence of what I've watched, and the usual excuses about not getting players in and I think the writing is on the wall.

will Rod pay him off with 2.5yrs plus left on his contract

Cropley10
15-01-2011, 03:21 PM
will Rod pay him off with 2.5yrs plus left on his contract

He will be mutually consented. Sometime after the Hamilton game if not before.

Rod's very familiar with the process, he's done so many times now.

marleyhib
15-01-2011, 03:36 PM
No I don't feel sorry for football managers, they know the business they are in, if they can't deliver results they get sacked end of.

Beefster
15-01-2011, 04:05 PM
So when Brown constantly kicks the ball up the park to Hibs players who never ever win a header, wheerupon we lose possession and this remains the case over several games, it's ALL Brown's fault and the players but not Calderwood's for spotting it and fixing it - a simple matter actually? Not to even mention several other aspects of the Hibs game, that is. Do you perhaps feel the players are actively working against the club and maybe even the supporters and - manager?

I've no idea, to be honest. Brown's kicking is terrible so, even if he's told what to do, he might not be capable. Some of the blame might even be put on the players who can't win a header for toffee or the goalkeeping coach. Who knows?

They may not be working against the club but I don't think many of the players actually give a **** though.

I'll blame Calderwood for everything though and absolve Hughes, Rodders, all the players, the assistant manager and all the coaching staff, if that's what folk want to hear. As I've said before, we deserve a **** team. My bairn has more patience on Xmas Eve than we do with managers. Thirteen games in, no players signed and yet some want a manager sacked?

RickyS
15-01-2011, 06:52 PM
He will be mutually consented. Sometime after the Hamilton game if not before.

Rod's very familiar with the process, he's done so many times now.

part of me hopes your right but I just cant see Rod coming up with the cash to pay him off even if he agrees to mutually consent, it could cost a couple of hundred grand+