PDA

View Full Version : Romanov Talks Sense Shock

Dan Sarf
15-01-2011, 11:30 AM
From today's Scotsman...

Romanov explained afterwards that he would neither reject the ten-team plan out of hand nor support a 14-team league unequivocally. Instead, he argued that the restoration of some kind of reserve or youth-team league was essential, as was the redistribution of income away from Rangers and Celtic.

"First, it is obligatory that the tournament of reserve teams is resumed," he said. "Without such reserves competition, the youths will have no chances to get into the main teams. Secondly, the distribution of the league's profits should be decided democratically," he continued, suggesting that a two-thirds majority should suffice for it to become policy.

Romanov appeared impressed by Topping and Doncaster, contrasting their enthusiasm and openness with what he sees as the dead hand of the Scottish Football Association.

"As a whole I am in favour of the fact that they seek solutions," he said of the two SPL chiefs. "I am for the development of football.

"It was nice to talk to people who are full of enthusiasm to bring changes to football in Scotland, which has run into a dead end. It is senseless to expect the changes from such an alien organisation as the SFA, which lives by its own rules contradicting the laws of the state, democracy and sporting principles.

"Not only is it senseless, but also harmful, as you unwillingly become an accomplice in the destruction of football and in turning it into showbusiness. It is time for the league to protect the rights of the clubs it comprises and to take over from the association as many powers as possible."

Has the old fruit bat had a head transplant?

pogo
15-01-2011, 11:50 AM
From today's Scotsman...

Romanov explained afterwards that he would neither reject the ten-team plan out of hand nor support a 14-team league unequivocally. Instead, he argued that the restoration of some kind of reserve or youth-team league was essential, as was the redistribution of income away from Rangers and Celtic.

"First, it is obligatory that the tournament of reserve teams is resumed," he said. "Without such reserves competition, the youths will have no chances to get into the main teams. Secondly, the distribution of the league's profits should be decided democratically," he continued, suggesting that a two-thirds majority should suffice for it to become policy.

Romanov appeared impressed by Topping and Doncaster, contrasting their enthusiasm and openness with what he sees as the dead hand of the Scottish Football Association.

"As a whole I am in favour of the fact that they seek solutions," he said of the two SPL chiefs. "I am for the development of football.

"It was nice to talk to people who are full of enthusiasm to bring changes to football in Scotland, which has run into a dead end. It is senseless to expect the changes from such an alien organisation as the SFA, which lives by its own rules contradicting the laws of the state, democracy and sporting principles.

"Not only is it senseless, but also harmful, as you unwillingly become an accomplice in the destruction of football and in turning it into showbusiness. It is time for the league to protect the rights of the clubs it comprises and to take over from the association as many powers as possible."

Has the old fruit bat had a head transplant?

I'm sure from his point of view it would make perfect sense to re-distribute the SPL monies. More money into Hertz=more money he can syphon into his pocket. This may keep him involved for a bit longer before he pulls the plug on them.

Keith_M
15-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Have to agree with him on the reserve league. If we want to continue developing young talent in Scotland, there needs to be an intermediate step between the youth and first teams. It's also vital for keeping those not currently in the first-team match fit.

Can't see the re-distribution of money point happening though.