PDA

View Full Version : How much did yogi spend on the squad ?

Jimmy Belter
14-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Can anyone tell me how much YOGI spent in his time on the squad ?

As someone said in a previous post that the board had made major investment in the team under him ?

since90plustwo
14-01-2011, 08:11 PM

As someone said in a previous post that the board had made major investment in the team under him ?

stokes was between 100000-300000
pretty sure players like smith and brown didnt come free (nominal fee payed most likely)
stephens was 50.000

Andy74
14-01-2011, 08:41 PM

In terms of transfer fees I think he spent nothing.

Dinkydoo
14-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Thats a bold statement.

:wink:

Cropley10
14-01-2011, 08:58 PM
You had your computer a while Jimmy?

4 Front Teeth
14-01-2011, 10:44 PM
You had your computer a while Jimmy?

Is it the end of the world? Did someone use bold text? Ban him, he is a Yam or he is trawling.

Yogi didn't need more money, he needed more time - to bin the dead wood and get things going.

sesoim
15-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Is it the end of the world? Did someone use bold text? Ban him, he is a Yam or he is trawling.

Yogi didn't need more money, he needed more time - to bin the dead wood and get things going.

He lumbered us with a large pile of dead wood. Most of his signings outside of Stokes and Miller were poor.

sesoim
15-01-2011, 01:37 AM

"Major investment" is a lot of rubbish. I'd consider major investment to be heavy signing fees along with long term contracts. However, Yogi did sign a few high earners, ie Stokes, Miller and possibly a few others like De Graf. He got to spend a lot more than Mowbray, for example, who at least managed to find a few bargains/ free transfers like Murphy, Sproule, Jones, Killen and Shiels on amuch more limited budget.

All Hughes did was add to our troubles by keeping a lot of our worst players and adding more dross to compliment them. Now we have a huge squad of players of whom 12 or 13 are a waste of space. But we do also have 11 or 12 good players who a good manager would have gotten more out of had he made the right signings to compliment them.

4 Front Teeth
15-01-2011, 06:50 AM
He lumbered us with a large pile of dead wood. Most of his signings outside of Stokes and Miller were poor.

It is common knowledge that Yogi planned to clear the squad out, he had a long term strategy that was agreed with Rod.

WindyMiller
15-01-2011, 07:23 AM
It is common knowledge that Yogi planned to clear the squad out, he had a long term strategy that was agreed with Rod.

So why did your mate Yogi sign De Graaf on a 2 year deal and supplement our squad with Trakys who's now half way through his contract and has given us 1 good performance?

PaulSmith
15-01-2011, 07:43 AM
So why did your mate Yogi sign De Graaf on a 2 year deal and supplement our squad with Trakys who's now half way through his contract and has given us 1 good performance?

TBF to Hughes, after Stokes was sold from beneath his feet he had to get Duffy in on loan, he then broke his foot.
Signing players outside the transfer window is a gamble and I think his first couple of choices hit stumbling blocks, Deneboom and an other, Trakys was signed as we only had Nish and Derek

4 Front Teeth
15-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Stokes went, we were struggling for strikers - De Graaf does look crap though, initially most fans thought he was a good addition to the squad. Managers need time.

BEEJ
15-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Common knowledge within the Hughes family - and only since Yogi's departure from ER. :greengrin

And if you believe at all in squad psychology and team dynamics, where we are at the moment on the contract side is potentially very damaging to hopes of improved performances.