PDA

View Full Version : Active Scouting / Youth Policy

persevere1875
14-01-2011, 07:04 PM
With the transfer window open and the inevitable discussions over youth (future saleable assett) versus experianced heads, does anyone actually know how indepth Hibs scouting policy is in particular with regards to youth players. For example do we only scout locally up to a certain age group and then look nationally or is scouting for potential youth players always only done locally with only the odd exception. Just wondered how far Hibs go in an attempt to capture kids for the future.

Perspective
14-01-2011, 07:08 PM
They don't go far enough.

Hibs will only take kids that don't cost a fee - so basically those straight from school. We won't scout and buy from other clubs, which puts us at a tremendous disadvantage.

Don't know if it's a moral stance or just being tight, but it means the Academy staff are operating with one hand tied behind their back.

It's a shame because we've styled ourselves as the club with this great conveyor belt of talent but I think a lot of it is talk.

aberhibsfc
14-01-2011, 07:09 PM
With the transfer window open and the inevitable discussions over youth (future saleable assett) versus experianced heads, does anyone actually know how indepth Hibs scouting policy is in particular with regards to youth players. For example do we only scout locally up to a certain age group and then look nationally or is scouting for potential youth players always only done locally with only the odd exception. Just wondered how far Hibs go in an attempt to capture kids for the future.

Something I'd be keen to know more about.

persevere1875
14-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I ask the question purely because of my own involvment in youth football down here, in particular watching local clubs cut back on their youth set ups and seeing a raft of decent kids at the older end of the youth football set up with nowhere to develop except at thier local youth leagues where undoubtably with the correct coaching they'd develop into a good standard.

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt Hibs, and Im going way back here, have a policy of supporting certain youth teams down south with the understanding that if anyone looked exceptional, they were alerted, seem to remember speaking to an old guy in Birmingham once who couldnt speak highly enough of the club and I think the support he recieved was purely kit etc.

jdships
14-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Hibs will only take kids that don't cost a fee - so basically those straight from school. We won't scout and buy from other clubs, which puts us at a tremendous disadvantage.

Don't know if it's a moral stance or just being tight, but it means the Academy staff are operating with one hand tied behind their back.

It's a shame because we've styled ourselves as the club with this great conveyor belt of talent but I think a lot of it is talk.

Pray tell from what source you base that statement on ?
Think you are being most unfair to the Hibs Board/ backroom staff
I happen to know how widespread/thorough Hibs scouting eystem is and has been over a number of years .
I.E. Boys have been signed from north of england clubs over the past year or two who have cost a "fee" .
Hibs have "scouts " all over Scotland who report to EM's
One manager in the not too distant past had over five hundred records of boys from 11/18 which were being regularly updated/amended.

The clubs my two young rellies came from were both "compensated" when they signed .

persevere1875 tells it just about right with Hibs policy towards clubs who "provide" young players

:flag:

down-the-slope
14-01-2011, 07:47 PM

:confused: Considering Crawford (who was just voted U19 league rising prospect) cam from airdrie...is that fair

Perspective
14-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Apologies if that isn't still the case, but a member of the Academy staff was complaining to me about this recently.

Felt the club had huge potential in this area that wasn't close to being realised and that the scouting operation was a shambles.

Happy if that's no longer true.

jdships
14-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Apologies if that isn't still the case, but a member of the Academy staff was complaining to me about this recently.

Felt the club had huge potential in this area that wasn't close to being realised and that the scouting operation was a shambles.

Happy if that's no longer true.

Thanks for that
I'm surprised to hear that as while I have no direct connection with the youth set up my two lads keep me posted also I still keep in touch with people who move in "youth football circles"
They mostly speak well of the Hibs set up

:flag:

Cropley10
14-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I ask the question purely because of my own involvment in youth football down here, in particular watching local clubs cut back on their youth set ups and seeing a raft of decent kids at the older end of the youth football set up with nowhere to develop except at thier local youth leagues where undoubtably with the correct coaching they'd develop into a good standard.

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt Hibs, and Im going way back here, have a policy of supporting certain youth teams down south with the understanding that if anyone looked exceptional, they were alerted, seem to remember speaking to an old guy in Birmingham once who couldnt speak highly enough of the club and I think the support he recieved was purely kit etc.

I think it is now very difficult to sign young players from another country. Hibs have signed players from the famous Wallsend Boys Club, but it is much harder to do now.

hibeeleicester
14-01-2011, 09:14 PM

I swear we got young callum antel from wales, and we might of paid a fee?

David Stephens is young aswell. others include.....

Damon Gray from Newcastle area.
Tom Mcready from Everton
Lewis Horner is from the Newcastle area.

I am sure we do scout far enough, i have spoke to a Hibs scout at a conference game before.

The Falcon
14-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I swear we got young callum antel from wales, and we might of paid a fee?

David Stephens is young aswell. others include.....

Damon Gray from Newcastle area.
Tom Mcready from Everton
Lewis Horner is from the Newcastle area.

I am sure we do scout far enough, i have spoke to a Hibs scout at a conference game before.

I think we do as well but, as Cropley10 pointed out, it's not as easy as it once was.

I would also add that I feel that something appears to have gone wrong in this dept. in the last few years.

silverhibee
14-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I think we do as well but, as Cropley10 pointed out, it's not as easy as it once was.

I would also add that I feel that something appears to have gone wrong in this dept. in the last few years.

It was down to getting rid of John and Donald Park that the youth system went down hill, if wee still had they two on our books wee would be producing good home grown talent still. A mssive loss for Hibs and the youth set up.. :agree:

The Falcon
14-01-2011, 11:13 PM
It was down to getting rid of John and Donald Park that the youth system went down hill, if wee still had they two on our books wee would be producing good home grown talent still. A mssive loss for Hibs and the youth set up.. :agree:

I agree but is "getting rid" of them not a bit harsh? Was JP not poached by the dodgers? DP I recall took up a good position at the SFA?

IberianHibernian
14-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Obviously we can`t expect to attract top teenagers from Europe on name only since big English etc clubs wil have more clout than us but that doesn`t mean we have to limit our searches to southeastern Scotland and Newcastle area . In Spain ( and probably other countries too ) there are football schools for players who have been released by their clubs and are looking for a club . In Spain , the first was probably Glenn Hoddle`s school in Jerez de la Frontera which has Graeme Rix as one of their coaches and has a number of players in the local 3rd Division team (Jerez Industrial) -3rd is 4th level of Spanish football. Near Alicante , there is another school set up by Englishmen and giving another chance for players from various countries to make up for earlier failure to make a big impact. I suppose these football camps contact us to see if we have players who might be of interesting for them and vv.

silverhibee
14-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I agree but is "getting rid" of them not a bit harsh? Was JP not poached by the dodgers? DP I recall took up a good position at the SFA?

Yes he did take that job up, but only after Hibs had got rid of him.

Randerson_4
15-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Obviously we can`t expect to attract top teenagers from Europe on name only since big English etc clubs wil have more clout than us but that doesn`t mean we have to limit our searches to southeastern Scotland and Newcastle area . In Spain ( and probably other countries too ) there are football schools for players who have been released by their clubs and are looking for a club . In Spain , the first was probably Glenn Hoddle`s school in Jerez de la Frontera which has Graeme Rix as one of their coaches and has a number of players in the local 3rd Division team (Jerez Industrial) -3rd is 4th level of Spanish football. Near Alicante , there is another school set up by Englishmen and giving another chance for players from various countries to make up for earlier failure to make a big impact. I suppose these football camps contact us to see if we have players who might be of interesting for them and vv.

The idea is good in principal, tho I'm fairly certain a 19s Hibs player who was released joined the Hoddle setup. If he wasn't gold enough at us, yet he's on the books over there, what are the chances of any of the others being better?

andudare2
15-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Yes he did take that job up, but only after Hibs had got rid of him.
hibs did not get rid of him , his mrs was seriously ill at time & he asked to leave the club to help out at home. he then was offered his present job!

TheUsualSuspect
15-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Hibs have "scouts " all over Scotland who report to EM's
One manager in the not too distant past had over five hundred records of boys from 11/18 which were being regularly updated/amended.

I hope you reported him to the polis:tee hee:

TBH think both of the opinions are right. it's more point of perspective.
As fans we want to see youth coming through and we do that, sometimes not as much as we would like, and we do appear to scout for youngsters

The other side is from an employee who obviously knows a bit more the inner workings and that we should maybe spend a little bit more and find the next Rooney, Messi rather than missing out on him as we won;t pay the figure required.

jdships
15-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I hope you reported him to the polis:tee hee:

TBH think both of the opinions are right. it's more point of perspective.
As fans we want to see youth coming through and we do that, sometimes not as much as we would like, and we do appear to scout for youngsters

The other side is from an employee who obviously knows a bit more the inner workings and that we should maybe spend a little bit more and find the next Rooney, Messi rather than missing out on him as we won;t pay the figure required.

Think your use of "perspective" is spot on :thumbsup:
A few years back I was good friends with Alex Miller and he used to say he received dozens of letters/postcards/phone calls from "people" who had seen a laddie kocking a ball in a back green somewhere and thought he might be right for Hibs and the same happened at Liverpool .
I know that clubs , probably including Hibs, at times reach a stage where they have reached their "quota" of lads and will back off signing for a few months.
Also boys come and go regularly - many only last a month or two before being let go
I can only speak of my own experience in the distant past and of my two young rellies .
They were watched by Hibs scouts at least three times without anyone knowing ( club or parent) before they were even spoken to - this came out after they signed .
This at least partially confirms we will never ever know how broad based /efficient Hibs scouting system is .
EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD BE IMHO :agree:

jdships
15-01-2011, 09:31 AM
hibs did not get rid of him , his mrs was seriously ill at time & he asked to leave the club to help out at home. he then was offered his present job!

Correct :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
15-01-2011, 09:44 AM

I think this is nonsense-many kids are attached and training at Hibs long before they've left school.In fact one of the arguments in youth football is about pro clubs not letting their schoolboy trainees play for their school.I'm afraid someone has been feeding you rubbish-no doubt more make up a story and then attack the club for no reason.

greenlex
15-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Don't know about hibs but here's a story.
The wee fellae is at Livingston but still plays with his boys club.
After a boys club game Me and his ma were approached by a scout from Rangers desperate to take him to Murray park. After a conversation he was told to bolt.
Exactly a week later a Celtic scout approached with the opening lines "I hear Rangers were after your laddie". Needless to say he was told to do one too.

PaulSmith
15-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't know about hibs but here's a story.
The wee fellae is at Livingston but still plays with his boys club.
After a boys club game Me and his ma were approached by a scout from Rangers desperate to take him to Murray park. After a conversation he was told to bolt.
Exactly a week later a Celtic scout approached with the opening lines "I hear Rangers were after your laddie". Needless to say he was told to do one too.

Why would you stop your laddie from training with Rangers or Celtic, is it through loyalty to Livingston?

PaulSmith
15-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I think this is nonsense-many kids are attached and training at Hibs long before they've left school.In fact one of the arguments in youth football is about pro clubs not letting their schoolboy trainees play for their school.I'm afraid someone has been feeding you rubbish-no doubt more make up a story and then attack the club for no reason.

I think it's more to do with the other top SPL clubs actively trying to sign and signing the best players from the other less established clubs in the Scottish game. Clubs such as Cowdenbeath will quite happily sell a 14 year old to Hearts, rangers, Celtic etc for 10k but Hibs refuse to go down this route so I'm told. Therefor we are left with what they identify themselves at 10 and 11 year old as any other youth player that looks half decent will be with a club from an early age.

Perspective
15-01-2011, 10:43 AM
I think it's more to do with the other top SPL clubs actively trying to sign and signing the best players from the other less established clubs in the Scottish game. Clubs such as Cowdenbeath will quite happily sell a 14 year old to Hearts, rangers, Celtic etc for 10k but Hibs refuse to go down this route so I'm told. Therefor we are left with what they identify themselves at 10 and 11 year old as any other youth player that looks half decent will be with a club from an early age.

Thanks! You've explained that a lot better than I did.

jdships
15-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Why would you stop your laddie from training with Rangers or Celtic, is it through loyalty to Livingston?

In a word YES for the reasons I state below
Many parents in E of S do prefer their boys to sign for clubs other than the OF
This is nothing to do with bigotry before someone jumps on that bandwaggon !!
It is a fact that youngsters have a better chance of coming through the ranks at a smaller club then moving on to better things .
The "failure rate " among youngsters attached to the OF is unbelievable .

greenlex
15-01-2011, 01:49 PM

More to do with logistics than loyalty. Livingston are more local as well as having an excelent reputation for youth. Both of us work and it would have been a nightmare. He was also asked who he preferred.
The Celtic boy didn't even get the courtesy of a conversation.

Andy Bee
15-01-2011, 02:06 PM
More to do with logistics than loyalty. Livingston are more local as well as having an excelent reputation for youth. Both of us work and it would have been a nightmare. He was also asked who he preferred.
The Celtic boy didn't even get the courtesy of a conversation.

A friend of mines lad was picked up by Celtic at 8yrs old, trained four nights a week straight after school and home at 9pm he lasted two months and gave up. Cracking little player but the commitment needed by the boy and his parents was too much not to mention how it would effect his schooling.