PDA

View Full Version : Fair Weather Support

spike220
14-01-2011, 08:40 AM
A lot of the voices on here only seem to be getting behind HIBS when things are going well. The way I was brought up, I was told that the support in the tough times was more important than the good times.

Andy74
14-01-2011, 09:17 AM
A lot of the voices on here only seem to be getting behind HIBS when things are going well. The way I was brought up, I was told that the support in the tough times was more important than the good times.

The support actually weren't behind the team to any great extent when things were going well results wise, there was a lot of complaint about how the performances weren't good enough.

So, when we did start to have a bad patch the support went straight out the window and we got to outright hostility.

Seems like we'll accept any old result now though.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 09:20 AM
The support actually weren't behind the team to any great extent when things were going well results wise, there was a lot of complaint about how the performances weren't good enough.

So, when we did start to have a bad patch the support went straight out the window and we got to outright hostility.

:tee hee: :agree:

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 09:21 AM

But andy, thats what you fail to understand.

Everybody was moaning about the performances because everyone could see it was only a matter of time before the our luck would change and teams would start dominating us.... i'd understand all your points if we were all wrong.... but we werent and we've been on a downward spiral ever since.

khib70
14-01-2011, 09:25 AM

I'm behind the team 24/7 regardless of results. So is everyone on this board (though perhaps not the other Board).

If people are worried or critical, it's because they want the best for the team and the club.

You on the other hand, along with one or two others, adopt the George W Bush position of "if you criticise the leadership you're being disloyal to the club/country etc".

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 09:28 AM
But andy, thats what you fail to understand.

Everybody was moaning about the performances because everyone could see it was only a matter of time before the our luck would change and teams would start dominating us.... i'd understand all your points if we were all wrong.... but we werent and we've been on a downward spiral ever since.

EVERYBODY?
So we moan when we win, and moan when we lose? Perhaps getting behind those winning players 100% might have helped them get out the bad run when it started, who knows? We are supposed to be SUPPORTERS. If you cant enjoy it when the teams winning, you sure as hell aint gonna be happy now.

Andy74
14-01-2011, 09:35 AM
EVERYBODY?
So we moan when we win, and moan when we lose? Perhaps getting behind those winning players 100% might have helped them get out the bad run when it started, who knows? We are supposed to be SUPPORTERS. If you cant enjoy it when the teams winning, you sure as hell aint gonna be happy now.

Exactly. You could argue it was a bit self fulfilling. The team were there on merit. Performances could have been better but you see what are getting now? Injuries to stack, zemmama and mcbride were key and so was bamba missing for the winter so you can't say the decline was just us getting what our performances deserved.

I was and am still disappointed in how quickly the support went and think it has been responsible for the club not recovering yet. We might never have got so low if there was real support for them.

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 09:38 AM
EVERYBODY?

sorry, i didnt make myself clear there.

i didnt mean everybody as in the whole hibs support.... i meant the few who were concerned about the performances of the hibs team when we were on our run at the beginning of last season.

Of course i was happy that we were doing well, but (because sometimes i take my green tinited glasses off and look at the bigger picture) i could see there were problems.

we werent playing well and were lucky on a number of occassions and it was obvious that sooner or later it was all going to go wrong.

at the end of the day you just have to look at where we are now, maybe if more people took a look at the bigger picture and didnt just sit back clapping happily, something could have been sorted before now.

i know thats hard for a happy clapper like yourself to comprehend BH :wink:

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Exactly. You could argue it was a bit self fulfilling. The team were there on merit. Performances could have been better but you see what are getting now? Injuries to stack, zemmama and mcbride were key and so was bamba missing for the winter so you can't say the decline was just us getting what our performances deserved.

I was and am still disappointed in how quickly the support went and think it has been responsible for the club not recovering yet. We might never have got so low if there was real support for them.

absolute paul tosh!!

the support stuck by the team for a long period of time andy.

the fact is, as time went on you could see hibs were in trouble and nothing we could do could change it, Hughes stubborness made sure of that.

J-C
14-01-2011, 09:41 AM

i didnt mean everybody as in the whole hibs support.... i meant the few who were concerned about the performances of the hibs team when we were on our run at the beginning of last season.

Of course i was happy that we were doing well, but (because sometimes i take my green tinited glasses off and look at the bigger picture) i could see there were problems.

we werent playing well and were lucky on a number of occassions and it was obvious that sooner or later it was all going to go wrong.

at the end of the day you just have to look at where we are now, maybe if more people took a look at the bigger picture and didnt just sit back clapping happily, something could have been sorted before now.

:agree:

Ray_
14-01-2011, 09:49 AM
EVERYBODY?

Last season excepted, hearts have been making a habit off winning & I didn't hear too many complaints people on here stated that they wouldn't play that to see us playing that mind numbiing football week after week, winning or not.

Obviously needs must & nobody now would worry about how the results were achieved, this until we are clear from trouble. However playing the football we were & being dominated in the middle by teams well below us in status, was never going to take this club forward, it was just papering over the cracks, just like Ritchie said & it can't be hindsight, with so many people having witnessed it and commented on it, at the time.

Phil MaGlass
14-01-2011, 09:50 AM
i'm behind the team 24/7 regardless of results. So is everyone on this board (though perhaps not the other board).

If people are worried or critical, it's because they want the best for the team and the club.

You on the other hand, along with one or two others, adopt the george w bush position of "if you criticise the leadership you're being disloyal to the club/country etc".

hear hear

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 09:50 AM

I thought we were in 3rd place on merit, i have heard we were lucky to be there, and how lucky we were in some games. Yet nobody has ever come back and said Motherwell didnt get any luck during the season, or Dundee Utd. We seem to be the only club in the SPL who gets good luck, but when things go bad, its down to being crap?

As Andy said, there were reasons we collapsed, injuries suspensions, players going away and other players form going out the window. Couple that with a small squad. In fact it was amazing we managed to make 4th place, and i thought it was a job well done in the end.

Yet there was a fair size of the support couldn't or even wouldn't recognize this. And as i said originally, if you cant enjoy it when we are winning, i don't think you will be happy now.

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I thought we were in 3rd place on merit, i have heard we were lucky to be there, and how lucky we were in some games. Yet nobody has ever come back and said Motherwell didnt get any luck during the season, or Dundee Utd. We seem to be the only club in the SPL who gets good luck, but when things go bad, its down to being crap?

As Andy said, there were reasons we collapsed, injuries suspensions, players going away and other players form going out the window. Couple that with a small squad. In fact it was amazing we managed to make 4th place, and i thought it was a job well done in the end.

Yet there was a fair size of the support couldn't or even wouldn't recognize this. And as i said originally, if you cant enjoy it when we are winning, i don't think you will be happy now.

nonsense!!

we have been crap for ages now.

you could count on 1 hand the number of games we have actually played well, and that includes the run at the start of last season.

Ray_
14-01-2011, 09:55 AM

So what are you saying, if it was amazing that squad got 4th spot, did the board only back the manager enough to achieve a top six place?

J-C
14-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Gary I think most were happy we were winning but at the same time could see we were pretty pish as well. You can't use injury/suspension/off form for playing bad as we played decidely average all last season, even Yogi told us we weren't that good yet and our position in the league was a false one. Yogi had the chance to strengthen the team in the summer but didn't and as a result we have a poor squad, no direction and a dressing room where we have splits etc, CC has a hellova job on his hands.:confused:

Ray_
14-01-2011, 09:57 AM
nonsense!!

you could count on 1 hand the number of games we have actually played well, and that includes the run at the start of last season.

We have been tom kite for the last three years, that is why fans are falling away.

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 09:59 AM
So what are you saying, if it was amazing that squad got 4th spot, did the board only back the manager enough to achieve a top six place?

the board could have given hughes millions in the january transfer window and we wouldnt have improved.

opposition managers studied hibs and worked out how to beat them. Its not rocket science considering our manager was unable to change our formation & system.

Hibs became predictable.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:02 AM
nonsense!!

I agree we have been dire for ages, but i will continue to praise the club for achieving a 4th place finish. Remind me how often this happens?

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:05 AM

I have no idea what you are on about? The board backed the manager as best they could, as they do every manager.

jdships
14-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Careful now guy's that we don't end up here with yet another "I'm a better supporter than :wink:you , 'cos ..........." thread :devil:

:greengrin

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I agree we have been dire for ages, but i will continue to praise the club for achieving a 4th place finish. Remind me how often this happens?

yes its an achievement, but it hasn't exactly got us anywhere has it?

we qualified for Europe, remind me how that went?

it gave that numpty hughes more time at Hibs, how did that go, did he turn our fortunes around?

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Gary I think most were happy we were winning but at the same time could see we were pretty pish as well. You can't use injury/suspension/off form for playing bad as we played decidely average all last season, even Yogi told us we weren't that good yet and our position in the league was a false one. Yogi had the chance to strengthen the team in the summer but didn't and as a result we have a poor squad, no direction and a dressing room where we have splits etc, CC has a hellova job on his hands.:confused:

So yogi tells us we were not that good, but his team are doing well. He also gets that 4th place spot, and you ignore the reasons i site for the slump?:confused: What were Motherwells excuse for not making 4th? As for his signings in the summer, i agree. I also agree he probably should have gone.

IWasThere2016
14-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I think if RP shaht on Andy74's lawn - he'd thank him for fertilising it. Oh, and pay RP's invoice :greengrin

J-C
14-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Under both Mowbray and McLeish, 2 of the better managers we've had, therein lies our problem.

spike220
14-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm behind the team 24/7 regardless of results. So is everyone on this board (though perhaps not the other Board).

You on the other hand, along with one or two others, adopt the George W Bush position of "if you criticise the leadership you're being disloyal to the club/country etc".

You can have your say all you like, but to Support a club means to get behind it. I certianly hope whoever comes to the club will be welcomed and supported till the end of the season. But no doubt there will be the usual negative comments about whoever is brought in. Can we not all get behind the club (including the board) till the end of the season, then review it have your say, then we get behind them again for another season. There is enough negativity on here to rival the doomsday book!

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:14 AM
yes its an achievement, but it hasn't exactly got us anywhere has it?

we qualified for Europe, remind me how that went?

it gave that numpty hughes more time at Hibs, how did that go, did he turn our fortunes around?

It went badly, but you knew that. Hughes imo deserved the chance to turn things round. Although perhaps we are that good a club now, we sack managers who give us success, without giving them the chance to reverse things when they go wrong.

J-C
14-01-2011, 10:16 AM
So yogi tells us we were not that good, but his team are doing well. He also gets that 4th place spot, and you ignore the reasons i site for the slump?:confused: What were Motherwells excuse for not making 4th? As for his signings in the summer, i agree. I also agree he probably should have gone.

Motherwell didn't have excuses as a top 6 finish most seasons are good for them, they started poorly last season and got better when we got worse.

Bamba was missing for a small period and never came back the same player, started talking himself up IRC, tlk of Real Madrid etc :rolleyes: Miller showed his true colours, a player who flatters to deceive, the reason he hasn't made it at bigger clubs. Also a dressing room split with certain players causing unrest, which was documented all the time on this board.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Under both Mowbray and McLeish, 2 of the better managers we've had, therein lies our problem.

McLeish was one of our better managers, yet spent money hand over fist and then left us with a shocking side, and in a shocking financial position. One you seem to want us to go back to?

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 10:19 AM
It went badly, but you knew that. Hughes imo deserved the chance to turn things round. Although perhaps we are that good a club now, we sack managers who give us success, without giving them the chance to reverse things when they go wrong.

a success last season would have been to have build on our impressive points total from the first half of the season..... not go on a record winless run.

in my opinion last season was not a success.... but as my mum used to say, "opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one and they all stink." :wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Motherwell didn't have excuses as a top 6 finish most seasons are good for them, they started poorly last season and got better when we got worse.

Bamba was missing for a small period and never came back the same player, started talking himself up IRC, tlk of Real Madrid etc :rolleyes: Miller showed his true colours, a player who flatters to deceive, the reason he hasn't made it at bigger clubs. Also a dressing room split with certain players causing unrest, which was documented all the time on this board.

And with all this chaos going on, where did we finish?

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:20 AM
a success last season would have been to have built on our impressive points total from the first half of the season..... not go on a record winless run.

in my opinion last season was not a success.... but as my mum used to say, "opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one and they all stink." :wink:

Well if last season was not success, you are in for a hard time supporting Hibs. :wink:

J-C
14-01-2011, 10:23 AM
McLeish was one of our better managers, yet spent money hand over fist and then left us with a shocking side, and in a shocking financial position. One you seem to want us to go back to?

Who said i wanted to get the club back into a bad financial psition Gary, I have stated we have 16 players out of contract, 10-12 of these are duds, we all agree with that, yes. Then surely their freed up wages would go to getting 5-6 players of a higher calibre and also a higher wage, but see here's the clever bit Gary, the money freed up is the money used to get the better players.:wink:

spike220
14-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Careful now guy's that we don't end up here with yet another "I'm a better supporter than :wink:you , 'cos ..........." thread :devil:

Sorry that is not what I intended. I have been following these posts for years, but never posted till now, the doom merchants have driven me to it though. I just can’t believe some of the stuff I have read on here lately, we are not yet, going down yet, but it might become a self fulfilling prophecy if we don’t get behind these young lads and the whole club.:flag:

J-C
14-01-2011, 10:26 AM
And with all this chaos going on, where did we finish?

But we only finished 4th by the skin of our teeth and the fact that Dundee U had a final to play, withe the start we had we should've cruised into 3rd, but no we imploded and Yogi hadn't a clue how to change things, come next season and he still didn't have a clue.

Ray_
14-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Getting fourth in the manner we did was an achievement, perhaps, how bad are we if it is considered a success? Hibs haven't always been this bad Gary, although they have seriously underachieved for years, continuing to underachieve should never be regarded as a success, otherwise we might as well all give up.

Ritchie
14-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Well if last season was not success, you are in for a hard time supporting Hibs. :wink:

2nd May 1998.... the exact date when i realised being a hibee wasnt going to be easy :wink:

hibbiedon
14-01-2011, 10:36 AM
:top marks

Simple but true, I agree 100%

:top marks:top marks

Captain Trips
14-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Sorry that is not what I intended. I have been following these posts for years, but never posted till now, the doom merchants have driven me to it though. I just can’t believe some of the stuff I have read on here lately, we are not yet, going down yet, but it might become a self fulfilling prophecy if we don’t get behind these young lads and the whole club.:flag:

Nothing wrong with the support yes more could attend and that can be levelled at every club, fans of every club will moan over a lot of the same stuff we do so IMO we are at no disadvantage, these discussions will always end up on players and managers or board as that is the reason again IMO we are doing poorly, it will be 1, 2 or all 3.

There are too many fair weather players at ER.

Ray_
14-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by spike220

:top marks

Simple but true, I agree 100%

:top marks:top marks

Totally idealistic and without credibility, football is a form of entertainment and people don’t go and support, in numbers, a product that’s as poor as the one being displayed at ER at the moment & they never have done since I started going in the mid-sixties. Saturday was testimony of that & it was not just Hibs, Scottish football in general is dire; again look at the attendances on Saturday for proof.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:43 AM
But we only finished 4th by the skin of our teeth and the fact that Dundee U had a final to play, withe the start we had we should've cruised into 3rd, but no we imploded and Yogi hadn't a clue how to change things, come next season and he still didn't have a clue.

There you go again, don't worry you are not alone. We got lucky, is that your best shot? And once again you fail to recognize all the reasons i gave for our slump in form, Tell me how many times Motherwell got lucky over the WHOLE SEASON?

We must have been the first team in history to finish 4th on luck alone.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Getting fourth in the manner we did was an achievement, perhaps, how bad are we if it is considered a success? Hibs haven't always been this bad Gary, although they have seriously underachieved for years, continuing to underachieve should never be regarded as a success, otherwise we might as well all give up.

I agree, its not been great watching a lot of whats been served up recently. Under achievement should never be applauded.You have to take into consideration just where we are, and where we have come from.

Yes this last calendar year has been poor, very poor. Although since the SUABC campaign, the whole club has progressed. I understand the last year has been bad football wise, and that side has gone backwards.

Yet i still firmly believe we are on the right tracks, we cant spend spend spend, and that seems the only other argument? We do have now a far far better platform for getting things right than we did in 2005. We have to see improvement soon, but yet again its the managers call. Hopefully we have the right man in place? :pray:

J-C
14-01-2011, 10:57 AM
There you go again, don't worry you are not alone. We got lucky, is that your best shot? And once again you fail to recognize all the reasons i gave for our slump in form, Tell me how many times Motherwell got lucky over the WHOLE SEASON?

We must have been the first team in history to finish 4th on luck alone.

So Hibs are the only team to go through a season with injuries and slumps in form, gee us a break Gary, we were strolling along in 3rd( 2nd for a spell ) god knows how many points ahead of the rest, then we had the worst run in club history. Why didn't we change this, Yogi was incapable and the players themselves were found out. We rode our luck in the first half of the season and gathered enough points to see us scramble over the line. Yes it was good to get Europe but not in the manner we got it, allowing DU to sneak past us and almost letting Motherwell in.

spike220
14-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by spike220

Totally idealistic and without credibility, football is a form of entertainment and people don’t go and support, in numbers, a product that’s as poor as the one being displayed at ER at the moment & they never have done since I started going in the mid-sixties. Saturday was testimony of that & it was not just Hibs, Scottish football in general is dire; again look at the attendances on Saturday for proof.

I also support a village club in Poland made up from butchers/bakers etc. They play some dreadful soccer and regularly get bashed 8-2. But the whole village is behind them, every year they get worse. But I don’t hold them or as hostages of fortune. I reject the notion that it is only entertainment or a product! That sounds like Man U or the equivalent. I had no choice about who I would support, it has been passed down the generations, I go because my dad went and his dad went and this is where I belong. I can’t relate with this whole sport is product mentality. Look at what is happening to snooker in the name of making it a ‘better product’. Products are disposable and replaceable. The mighty hibs is and never should be a product!

NYHibby
14-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Speaking of fair weather support, is it supposed to rain tomorrow?

spike220
14-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Speaking of fair weather support, is it supposed to rain tomorrow?

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 11:14 AM
So Hibs are the only team to go through a season with injuries and slumps in form, gee us a break Gary, we were strolling along in 3rd( 2nd for a spell ) god knows how many points ahead of the rest, then we had the worst run in club history. Why didn't we change this, Yogi was incapable and the players themselves were found out. We rode our luck in the first half of the season and gathered enough points to see us scramble over the line. Yes it was good to get Europe but not in the manner we got it, allowing DU to sneak past us and almost letting Motherwell in.

I never said we were the only team to go through the season with injuries or slumps in form. I said it was a reason why we slumped, was it not one of the reasons?

Are you saying Hughes did not try and change it? Did he not try and arrest the situation? There you go again, riding our luck, scrambled over the line. I suppose we should have just lost all those games at the start, maybe folk would have been happier?

I have never known a side finish 4th on luck, i wonder if the 6th best team are cursing those lucky sods that finished 5th?

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Just read your post again, how is it we were strolling along in 3rd, 2nd for a spell, yet further down the post we were lucky up to the slump?:confused:

superfurryhibby
14-01-2011, 11:36 AM

I don't think the views of fans driven to distraction by the poor standard of our team influences the actual performances on the park too much. That is primarilly dictated by the quality of player available and the managers selection and tactical nous, surely?

A general point is that the reason fans feel the current situation so acutely is that we all love Hibs. We have (as some have righly pointed out) underachieved signficantly. This is both historic and on-going.

Personally, I feel an enormous sense of frustration that we have had the quality of player we have enjoyed during the past decade but have only a League cup to show for it. For many reasons we blew it. Fans love our nice stadium and training complex, the financial solvency (relatively speaking) but that's not why we are football supporters. We want to see a winning Hibs team. That;'s what causes the frustration.

My bottom line is that Hibs are a big team by Scottish standards. We have an income stream/fanbase that is considerably larger than most of our rivals and we should not, ever, be in a position where we are relegated from the top tier of Scottish football. It happened thirty years ago, because of complacency and underinvestment and it happened twelve years ago for the similar reasons. No matter what we should have learned our lesson. Unfortunately, it would appear not. Anyone who believes that this is unlikely is deluding themselves.

In the circumstances it would be bizarre if people were all aquiescent and politely supported the team through their current demise. Football is a passionate game and inspires passionate emotions in those who follow it, that's what gives the game it's drama and (sometimes) it's beauty.

Ray_
14-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I also support a village club in Poland made up from butchers/bakers etc. They play some dreadful soccer and regularly get bashed 8-2. But the whole village is behind them, every year they get worse. But I don’t hold them or as hostages of fortune. I reject the notion that it is only entertainment or a product! That sounds like Man U or the equivalent. I had no choice about who I would support, it has been passed down the generations, I go because my dad went and his dad went and this is where I belong. I can’t relate with this whole sport is product mentality. Look at what is happening to snooker in the name of making it a ‘better product’. Products are disposable and replaceable. The mighty hibs is and never should be a product!

Hibs may be be playing like a team, full of Bakers & Butchers, however they are not a Village team, they are a professional outfit who pay their board very well and charge big bucks for the football on offer, a whole world away from what you are talking about [except on the pitch that is]:greengrin

Captain Trips
14-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I never said we were the only team to go through the season with injuries or slumps in form. I said it was a reason why we slumped, was it not one of the reasons?

Are you saying Hughes did not try and change it? Did he not try and arrest the situation? There you go again, riding our luck, scrambled over the line. I suppose we should have just lost all those games at the start, maybe folk would have been happier?

I have never known a side finish 4th on luck, i wonder if the 6th best team are cursing those lucky sods that finished 5th?

Fair points, IMO Hibs were not lucky to finish 4th they finished 4th on merit due to the points they got I think you are in agreement with me on that BH?

Of course we won some games we shouldnt I think we lost some we shouldnt but that is part of a normal season. It is very difficult to argue last season in a way, we achieved the position in league that IMO we should get yet there was a lot to be concerned about.

If Hibs win first 20 games in row and finish 3rd/4th then lose rest how do you describe that is it good? I think it didnt say a lot about the rest of the SPL that we could finish that high with a very bad run hence why I think on the whole it wasnt a success. If we have truly progressed we should not be having a year of pretty much poor results. For me progression would bring consistency and that is still very much lacking with our football. Did Hibs get the position they required? Yes they did, Did people watching it get value for money? I didnt.

Again its difficult to get that happy medium, we have played better and more consistant over a season and finished lower, IMO I think we should be finishing 4 with consistant performances over the course, we manage that twice in a row and I think we will have progressed.

BH you said we have progressed as a club I will disagree on that certainly in football terms.

J-C
14-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Fair points, IMO Hibs were not lucky to finish 4th they finished 4th on merit due to the points they got I think you are in agreement with me on that BH?

Of course we won some games we shouldnt I think we lost some we shouldnt but that is part of a normal season. It is very difficult to argue last season in a way, we achieved the position in league that IMO we should get yet there was a lot to be concerned about.

If Hibs win first 20 games in row and finish 3rd/4th then lose rest how do you describe that is it good? I think it didnt say a lot about the rest of the SPL that we could finish that high with a very bad run hence why I think on the whole it wasnt a success. If we have truly progressed we should not be having a year of pretty much poor results. For me progression would bring consistency and that is still very much lacking with our football. Did Hibs get the position they required? Yes they did, Did people watching it get value for money? I didnt.

Again its difficult to get that happy medium, we have played better and more consistant over a season and finished lower, IMO I think we should be finishing 4 with consistant performances over the course, we manage that twice in a row and I think we will have progressed.

BH you said we have progressed as a club I will disagree on that certainly in football terms.

Pretty much just the words I was going to reply to Gary with, saves me the bother.

The word lucky in this instance is the fact that although we accumulated enough points in the early part of the season, the severely bad run allowed our nearest competitors to catch us up, 1 overtook us and the other just failed. To me we were lucky to get 4th due to the fact we had such an abysmal run and Yogi, no matter what he tried couldn't turn it round. I t would've been a better season if we'd had a blip mid season and managed to overcome that and finished 3rd/4th in a bit of style, rather than stumbling over the line.

legends of 73
14-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Who said i wanted to get the club back into a bad financial psition Gary, I have stated we have 16 players out of contract, 10-12 of these are duds, we all agree with that, yes. Then surely their freed up wages would go to getting 5-6 players of a higher calibre and also a higher wage, but see here's the clever bit Gary, the money freed up is the money used to get the better players.:wink:

if some people started going to games more money would be put back into the club instead of getting an early start in the taxi :wink::agree:

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Pretty much just the words I was going to reply to Gary with, saves me the bother.

The word lucky in this instance is the fact that although we accumulated enough points in the early part of the season, the severely bad run allowed our nearest competitors to catch us up, 1 overtook us and the other just failed. To me we were lucky to get 4th due to the fact we had such an abysmal run and Yogi, no matter what he tried couldn't turn it round. I t would've been a better season if we'd had a blip mid season and managed to overcome that and finished 3rd/4th in a bit of style, rather than stumbling over the line.

Again ignoring the reasons why we had a slump, there's no point in this anymore? Of course it would have been better to have finished better than we started, but it never, it was the other way round, get over it.

Yogi deserved the chance to try and get things back on track, but couldn't. There's no argument there. He tried he couldn't he went, but he did get his team 4th nobody can take that away from us, or him. And again, i'm just happy we became the only team in football history to finish 4th luckily.:faf:

el capitano
14-01-2011, 03:49 PM
last seasons finishing position was without question a success and the chance of it happening again are slim for a while. regardless of managers/players involved in our finish that many fans have told us there weaknesses and faults it was still a successfull season.

i cant remember the last time the fans supported the team in a confidence boosting manner ( beeing the 12th man way )

this is our problem i fear, too many people quick to jump on negative band wagons and its a major problem.

down-the-slope
14-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I think if RP shaht on Andy74's lawn - he'd thank him for fertilising it. Oh, and pay RP's invoice :greengrin

As long as it was done properly.. with even coverage, and was done in a manner that was sustainable in the long term (no point in huge piles this season and not enough left in the tank for next season) and if Andy got full market value for his lawn should he choose to sell then surely an affordable deposit was of benefit in the longer term :confused:

Spike Mandela
14-01-2011, 03:57 PM

Yeah, right the support was there through all the league and cup winning years then fell away at the first sign of a blip.

Get a grip we are almost permanently enduring tough times!

The crowd has been falling for many factors. Financial for the most part but also in part due to perceived(rightly or wrongly) lack of investment on the park and constant dilution of quality in the squad.

hibsbollah
14-01-2011, 04:09 PM

I think andy74 is the only man in history to give unwavering support (if my memory of his post history serves me correctly) to these three individuals; Fred 'The Shred' Goodwin of RBS, Alan O'Brien and Rod Petrie. 'Defending the Indefensible since 1974' will be his epitaph:wink:

greenlex
14-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Just in the interests of balance.
Hearts are crap. They have carried enormous luck to be where they are at the moment. Their bubble will burst but they will scrape top six. Being serious by the way.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Hearts are crap. They have carried enormous luck to be where they are at the moment. Their bubble will burst but they will scrape top six. Being serious by the way.

Really?

CropleyWasGod
14-01-2011, 04:20 PM

Really?

I honestly can't see anybody else challenging them for third. Convince me otherwise though....PLEASE!!! :greengrin

greenlex
14-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Really?

I honestly can't see anybody else challenging them for third. Convince me otherwise though....PLEASE!!! :greengrin

Off the top of my head. A late goal against us. A deflected shot lands at Templeton and he scores and a penalty against St Mirren.
They lump the ball up to Kyle at every opportunity from anywhere on the park. If they lose him for any period of time they will be at a loss what to do.
They are pish. Motherwell and Dundee utd are better bets to finish 3rd IMO.

greenlex
14-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Really?
Aye.:agree:

CropleyWasGod
14-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Off the top of my head. A late goal against us. A deflected shot lands at Templeton and he scores and a penalty against St Mirren.
They lump the ball up to Kyle at every opportunity from anywhere on the park. If they lose him for any period of time they will be at a loss what to do.

I hope you're right. But they grind out results, as they have done for many years. A team like that is always likely to win more than they lose, no matter how awful they are to watch.

Grudging respect for JJ in the way he has taken much of the same squad and turned them into a team that actually talks to each other.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Don't see that myself, they look to me quite strong all over the park, and so they should be with what they pay. And certainly i cant see anyone catching them for 3rd. :boo hoo:

lord bunberry
14-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Having just read all of this thread i cant understand the views of some people that finishing 4th last season was a success surely if we cant win the league then success is to finish 3rd and win a cup we achieved neither of these things. Ive been watching hibs for nearly 30 years and will continue to do so and i think the players and manager get an easy ride i remember alex miller being hounded out of er and rightly so where as now we probably have one of the worst teams i have ever seen yet the atmosphere is pretty good at games i think the team get more support than they deserve