PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Matt Thornhill - Nottingham Forest

Thief
13-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Random tweet from forest fan saying 23 year old midfielder Matt close to signing 2 year deal.

greenlex
13-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Random tweet from forest fan saying 23 year old midfielder Matt close to signing 2 year deal.

Who for?:greengrin

Cropley10
13-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Who's he?
Be a great signing for us by the way.
Couldn't afford his wages.
He's injury prone.
Be fantastic, just what we need.
Uninspiring.
Calderwood knows him so that's enough for me.
He's signed for someone else.

he was pish anyway.

Should save another 6 pager

Can you just convert that into a poll? :greengrin :dunno:

Hibbyradge
13-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Who's he?
He's injury prone.
Uninspiring.

he was pish anyway.

Not Hibs class.

Doesn't even have a website.

one day maybe...
13-01-2011, 07:19 PM
He is on loan until the end of the season to Cheltenham Town so doubt it.

Cropley10
13-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Naw he's naw....:greengrin

erin go bragh
13-01-2011, 07:22 PM
6ft 1 , 23 year old midfielder ,played a big part in forests promotion to the championship [but not hibs class:cool2:] not when we have rankin,miller and de graff?

one day maybe...
13-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Naw he's naw....:greengrin

According to the Forest official website he is. He has not went awol has he :wink:

Note to self, learn to read properly and not just skim lol. He is no longer on loan and does seem to be back but not featuring.
Could there be legs in this?

Gatecrasher
13-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Who's he?
He's injury prone.
Uninspiring.

he was pish anyway.

Can you just convert that into a poll? :greengrin :dunno:

Not Hibs class.

Doesn't even have a website.
that about covers it :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2jQQD6Od8

good pass to set up the 2nd :wink:

HibbyKeith
13-01-2011, 07:28 PM

That was season 09-10, Forest obviously not updated the player profile, hes no longer on the Cheltenham Town site.

persevere1875
13-01-2011, 07:35 PM
He was on loan at Cheltenham last season, I will try and find out some more from some of the lads at the club

KWJ
13-01-2011, 07:42 PM

:top marks

Great vision from the lad.

Hibbyradge
13-01-2011, 07:46 PM
6ft 1 , 23 year old midfielder ,played a big part in forests promotion to the championship [but not hibs class:cool2:] not when we have rankin,miller and de graff?

:tumble:

bingo70
13-01-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23337

Thread on it started on the forest website, not a lot of response yet but encouraging that one of them seems to think that CC will get the best out of young players.

smurf
13-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Encouraging.

hibeedonald
13-01-2011, 09:45 PM
how long left on his contract?

WindyMiller
13-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Thread on it started on the forest website, not a lot of response yet but encouraging that one of them seems to think that CC will get the best out of young players.

Smolders?

Ferryhibby
13-01-2011, 09:51 PM
which player can we send them then in return:greengrin

Andy74
13-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Encouraging.

Okay, I'm intreagued, what makes this guy more encouraging than the last 9 players we signed who you don't feel have been the right quality?

Hermit Crab
13-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Take a chance and sign him. Gotta be in it to win it. :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
13-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Not a patch on the De Graaf videos :offski:

Speedway
13-01-2011, 10:12 PM
:top marks

Great vision from the lad.

He sclaffed that.

smurf
13-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Okay, I'm intreagued, what makes this guy more encouraging than the last 9 players we signed who you don't feel have been the right quality?

It's encouraging in the sense that there appears to be some activity imminent.

The 'quality' of player I want us looking at is up and coming young talent like Rooney at Inverness. Players who can improve with us and we can sell on at a profit.

Instead we sign a John Rankin from Inverness. I would be amazed if anyone on here before Jan 2008 were suggesting him as a target.

Andy74
13-01-2011, 10:27 PM
It's encouraging in the sense that there appears to be some activity imminent.

The 'quality' of player I want us looking at is up and coming young talent like Rooney at Inverness. Players who can improve with us and we can sell on at a profit.

Instead we sign a John Rankin from Inverness. I would be amazed if anyone on here before Jan 2008 were suggesting him as a target.

Rankin was 3 yrs ago and plenty seemed to be excited about it. He was meant to be a goalscorer with great delivery and dead ball skills.

Could have maybe chosen some of the midfielders in the interim that sounded far better than this guy like miller or de graaf.

Yes it's encouraging that stuff is happening but do you really think it just started today?

Sir David Gray
13-01-2011, 10:30 PM

I can think of at least 14. :greengrin

hibs0666
13-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Encouraging.

He must be good.

sleeping giant
13-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Ahhhhh. Its good to be linked with someone :greengrin

TRC
13-01-2011, 10:40 PM
can we not sign they Tyson boy what a finish

CapitalHibs
13-01-2011, 10:46 PM

I think Donald Rumsfeld put it quite nicely when he said " There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know." :greengrin

smurf
13-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Rankin was 3 yrs ago and plenty seemed to be excited about it. He was meant to be a goalscorer with great delivery and dead ball skills.

Could have maybe chosen some of the midfielders in the interim that sounded far better than this guy like miller or de graaf.

Yes it's encouraging that stuff is happening but do you really think it just started today?

No I don't think it just started today but the fact CC said what he has today suggests to me deals are agreed....

And that's very encouraging.

MrSmith
13-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Good thread over on the bounce with some cool info:

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?103202-Calderwood-Latest-News-%28Merged-Threads%29
[/URL]
[URL]http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/argusgeneralsportsnews/4770843.Forest_duo_leave_Albion/ (http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/argusgeneralsportsnews/4770843.Forest_duo_leave_Albion/)

Tell you what folks...the Hibs family/community is just the best!

Petrie's Tache
14-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Good thread over on the bounce with some cool info:

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?103202-Calderwood-Latest-News-%28Merged-Threads%29

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/argusgeneralsportsnews/4770843.Forest_duo_leave_Albion/

Tell you what folks...the Hibs family/community is just the best!

2nd Article is from 2009.

SmokieJoe
14-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Who's he?
He's injury prone.
Uninspiring.

he was pish anyway.

Fantastic....:applause:

GloryGlory
14-01-2011, 07:17 AM

I'd be gutted if Nish or Rankin went!

No, really, I would.

:greengrin :devil:

MrSmith
14-01-2011, 08:05 AM
2nd Article is from 2009.

So it is! Didn't notice that!

WindyMiller
14-01-2011, 08:27 AM
He sclaffed that.

Whooooooosh!

Andy74
14-01-2011, 09:33 AM
No I don't think it just started today but the fact CC said what he has today suggests to me deals are agreed....

And that's very encouraging.

It kind of lessesns your argument about the board being responsible for previous players not performing well as you suggested that they were clearly insufficient quality and that it showed the maangers had not been truly backed.

I'm just a bit puzzled then that you find this guy encouraging, more so than the likes of Liam Miller, Stokes, Hart and De Graaf when they signed.

What knowledge would the Board have on this guy that convinces them he is a top quality target?

I think the Board have backed managers but conversely, I'm not convinvced this is the sort of guy we should be aiming at, but then again as always I think that's the manager's job and the Board can only trust him.

Hibee87
14-01-2011, 10:03 AM
It kind of lessesns your argument about the board being responsible for previous players not performing well as you suggested that they were clearly insufficient quality and that it showed the maangers had not been truly backed.

I'm just a bit puzzled then that you find this guy encouraging, more so than the likes of Liam Miller, Stokes, Hart and De Graaf when they signed.

What knowledge would the Board have on this guy that convinces them he is a top quality target?

I think the Board have backed managers but conversely, I'm not convinvced this is the sort of guy we should be aiming at, but then again as always I think that's the manager's job and the Board can only trust him.

Never really heard of this guy but how long as he been at forest? im guessing he was there under CC and that CC maybe knows the player well and sees him as a good addition. cant say the board would disagree with his judgement if the player fitted into our wage structure

Devine
14-01-2011, 10:10 AM
So we go for a guy who had been bumped from League 1 Brighton and struggled in the Championship whilst a raw exciting talent leaves the First Division for a modest fee and we dont even sniff him.

Not saying the guy isnt good enough got to trust CC but it tells you everything you need to know about Hibs

Andy74
14-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Never really heard of this guy but how long as he been at forest? im guessing he was there under CC and that CC maybe knows the player well and sees him as a good addition. cant say the board would disagree with his judgement if the player fitted into our wage structure

Sort of my point about how the Board lets the manager spend his budget as he sees fit.

This is called backing the manager.

keep the faith
14-01-2011, 10:14 AM
So we go for a guy who had been bumped from League 1 Brighton and struggled in the Championship whilst a raw exciting talent leaves the First Division for a modest fee and we dont even sniff him.

Not saying the guy isnt good enough got to trust CC but it tells you everything you need to know about Hibs

Adam rooney would fit the criteria you have given here(and is also scoring goals in the spl) and by all accounts we are sniffing around him

scoopyboy
14-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Sure about that are you?

JimBHibees
14-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Nonsense, so you are saying Griffiths would have chosen Hibs over an EPL club.

Devine
14-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Adam rooney would fit the criteria you have given here(and is also scoring goals in the spl) and by all accounts we are sniffing around him

He certainly would. Would be impressed with that type of signing

Devine
14-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Nonsense, so you are saying Griffiths would have chosen Hibs over an EPL club.

I think we should have put ourselves in a position to offer Griffiths a package before Wolves became seriously involved whether that be the Summer or pre January (with a view to moving in January).

Not being specific here with Griffiths symptomatic of our recruitment strategy imo

Devine
14-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Sure about that are you?

We could all play these I know more than you games. But to the average punter it would appear that we did not make a serious approach just like we havent done with a string of potential talent in the last few years

Hibernia Na Eir
14-01-2011, 10:30 AM

GREAT, the teams we compete with are just diff class...

matty_f
14-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I think we should have put ourselves in a position to offer Griffiths a package before Wolves became seriously involved whether that be the Summer or pre January (with a view to moving in January).

Not being specific here with Griffiths symptomatic of our recruitment strategy imo

Why, because the club source their players from different places than you?
Maybe the manager didn't fancy griffiths, maybe the manager doesn't fancy half the players that people call for on here.
I dread to think what the reaction would be if we signed a sproule,.shiels, or boozy just now.

Cropley10
14-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Sort of my point about how the Board lets the manager spend his budget as he sees fit.

This is called backing the manager.

The thing is none of us know, or will ever know, if this guy was ever near the top of CCs list. For all we know Rod might have said 'no' to half a dozen already.

The only thing that matters is the quality of the squad improving. If it doesn't you will say he was backed and I will say not sufficiently.

I hope whoever comes in is a first team pick. We don't need any more nearly-men.

We all believe Calderwood will have a good network of contacts and knowledge of players in England. We'll soon find out whether we're heading back in the right direction. But I'm preparing myself to be under-whelmed I'm afraid

Devine
14-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Why, because the club source their players from different places than you?
Maybe the manager didn't fancy griffiths, maybe the manager doesn't fancy half the players that people call for on here.
I dread to think what the reaction would be if we signed a sproule,.shiels, or boozy just now.

No because the club have consistently failed to invest fractions of fees we have brought in to pay modest - decent amounts on young talented players that we would then have the potential to sell at a profit.

Are you happy with the current strategy of selling our best players and not investing in potentially saleable assets? Lets not kid ourselves Miller came here as he had nowhere else to go in his career and his agent knew Yogi and Stokes came here because he had failed after a crack at the prem and championship NOT because Hibs pushed the boat out to secure a talent on the way up in his career.

Nearly every club in the world is a selling club and not all seem to have the constant troubles that we have in playing staff

matty_f
14-01-2011, 11:23 AM
No because the club have consistently failed to invest fractions of fees we have brought in to pay modest - decent amounts on young talented players that we would then have the potential to sell at a profit.

Are you happy with the current strategy of selling our best players and not investing in potentially saleable assets? Lets not kid ourselves Miller came here as he had nowhere else to go in his career and his agent knew Yogi and Stokes came here because he had failed after a crack at the prem and championship NOT because Hibs pushed the boat out to secure a talent on the way up in his career.

Nearly every club in the world is a selling club and not all seem to have the constant troubles that we have in playing staff

Like Stokes, or Bamba you mean?

I like the idea of bringing in proven talent (Miller, Riordan, Murray, Brown), unfortunately it hasn't worked out as we'd have liked it to.

But again, let's not get the facts get in the way.

Hopefully Calderwood's eye for a player is good and he manages to turn the club around with some astute signings.

JE89
14-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Love the 'Gap Yah' comparison for Edinburgh :tee hee:

Devine
14-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Like Stokes, or Bamba you mean?

I like the idea of bringing in proven talent (Miller, Riordan, Murray, Brown), unfortunately it hasn't worked out as we'd have liked it to.

But again, let's not get the facts get in the way.
Hopefully Calderwood's eye for a player is good and he manages to turn the club around with some astute signings.

Haha heres some so called FACTS for you -

Miller - Punted by Man Utd, Sunderland & QPR struggling to get a club and by his own admission wanting to get his career back on track in an environment he knew. Agent Graham Barrett known to Yogi ex Falkirk tells Hibs Miller will accept reduced terms as a FREE agent.

Stokes - Failed in England with Sunderland and Crystal Palace (where he was considered a complete dud) struggling to get a club and Sunderland wanted him off the books Hibs an obvious fit as little money/risk invovled.

Riordan & Murray - Both left Hibs in order to succeed and ended up failing struggling to get a club. Hibs again pick them up for next to nothing an obvious fit with little potential sell on value.

Bamba - Agreed took a punt on him and it worked out OK.

I like the idea of bringing in proven talent dont get me wrong I was perfectly happy for these players to join us. But lets be honest when was the last time we went out and sought a young exciting talent with a high potential sell on value??

We made plenty of money on guys brought through the youth ranks. That cannot be expected or accounted for on a consistent basis and imo we have done little to nothing to bring in young up and coming talent. My view on why we havent done it is the initial outlay may be 100-500k and we baulk at that rather than taking view 1. These guys are likely to kick on and make a profit for us or 2. This is only a perrcentage of what we got for members of the 'golden generation'

GreenPJ
14-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Griffiths is not the type of player we need for the second half of the season and unless it was a replacement for Derek don't see how or why we would want two players who are very similar.

I keep on hearing that Derek (and probably Griffiths) need other people to do the grind work to allow them to focus on what they can do well, create opportunities and score goals. Whilst we can maybe live with one player doing that we sure aren't good enough to live with two.

matty_f
14-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Haha heres some so called FACTS for you -

Miller - Punted by Man Utd, Sunderland & QPR struggling to get a club and by his own admission wanting to get his career mack on track in an environment he knew. Agent Graham Barrett known to Yogi ex Falkirk tells Hibs Miller will accept reduced terms as a FREE agent.

Stokes - Failed in England with Sunderland and Crystal Palace (where he was considered a complete dud) struggling to get a club and Sunderland wanted him off the books Hibs an obvious fit as little money/risk invovled.

Riordan & Murray - Both left Hibs in order to succeed and ended up failing struggling to get a club. Hibs again pick them up for next to nothing an obvious fit with little potential sell on value.

Bamba - Agreed took a punt on him and it worked out OK.

I like the idea of bringing in proven talent dont get me wrong I was perfectly happy for these players to join us. But lets be honest when was the last time we went out and sought a young exciting talent with a high potential sell on value??

We made plenty of money on guys brought through the youth ranks. That cannot be expected or accounted for on a consistent basis and imo we have done little to nothing to bring in young up and coming talent. My view on why we havent done it is the initial outlay may be 100-500k and we baulk at that rather than taking view 1. These guys are likely to kick on and make a profit for us or 2. This is only a perrcentage of what we got for members of the 'golden generation'

:faf: you cannae just change it to suit. Stokes had shown he had massive potential in the spl, we signed him, and sold him. Is that not exactly what you are asking for?

Devine
14-01-2011, 12:34 PM
:faf: you cannae just change it to suit. Stokes had shown he had massive potential in the spl, we signed him, and sold him. Is that not exactly what you are asking for?

Was Stokes an up and coming youngster making waves inthe game or a player that had hit a standstill in his career and looking for a bit of rehabilitation to get his career back on track??

Your point about bringing in guys like this is valid. I just tend to think we completely neglect bringing in guys who are young, raw and most importantly in form.

Im not changing any argument to suit I thought I explained that in my lost post, but your obvious refusal to engage your brain and instead put in daft smilies seems to be your preferred reposte.

matty_f
14-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Was Stokes an up and coming youngster making waves inthe game or a player that had hit a standstill in his career and looking for a bit of rehabilitation to get his career back on track??

Your point about bringing in guys like this is valid. I just tend to think we completely neglect bringing in guys who are young, raw and most importantly in form.

Im not changing any argument to suit I thought I explained that in my lost post, but your obvious refusal to engage your brain and instead put in daft smilies seems to be your preferred reposte.
Given his age I'd give stokes the benefit of the doubt and say he was still up and coming, and at the risk of sounding childish, the smilie was in response to your very grown up ' ha ha'.

Devine
14-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Given his age I'd give stokes the benefit of the doubt and say he was still up and coming, and at the risk of sounding childish, the smilie was in response to your very grown up ' ha ha'.

Well we will just have to disagree there.

As I've already pointed out he had a chance at Sunderland and blew it then went to Crystal Palace and failed miserably. That to me is not up and coming but someone who has a black mark against there name down south knows it and came back up here to rehabilitate himself as options even in the Championship were restricted.

Im asking Hibs to take a calculated gamble on youngsters who we can potentially sell to England. This gamble includs paying a half decent fee, decent contract and acceptance that these guys will potentially move on. not every one will come off but its well worth the risk imo. Signing guys a la Stokes and Miller to compliment that is perfectly reasonable.

We have no sellable assets now as we were near enough completely reliant on selling products from our youth academy. That should never be expected or fully accounted for. The recruitment strategy in my view will hinder us going forward

persevere1875
14-01-2011, 01:22 PM
GREAT, the teams we compete with are just diff class...

Hey, dont knock the town :wink:

As a comparison, we signed Rob Jones from Grimsby immediately after Cheltenham Town beat Grimsby in the play off finals to gain promotion from League 2 to League 1 and I didnt see people complaining about Rob Jones after we seen him.

With refferance to this particular lad, info I got last night was that he signed for Cheltenham one an initial one month contract, extended to six once he arrived and they had a good look at him, the club wanted to sign him on a permanent contract but he felt he could play at a higher level so chose to go back to Forest, only played in the first team once this season so far, in a cup game and scored. Apparently he has potential but we'll just have to wait and see.