PDA

View Full Version : message from hibs board by email

yogibear1975
13-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I sent an email to the club with my concerns regarding the club and the way it is being run just now and this was the response i got.

Many thanks for your email - your feedback is welcomed and points noted.

The Board of Hibernian FC keenly appreciate the current predicament the team is in and that performances and results must improve. Colin Calderwood, Derek Adams and the rest of the coaching and scouting staff are working hard to rectify that, and – in common with every previous Management team - they do so with the full backing with every resource this Board has. Do not doubt the commitment, financial or otherwise, the Board has to ensure this Club competes at the top of the SPL, in the latter stages of the Cup and in Europe on an annual basis. That is our ongoing ambition – to ensure Hibernian FC is consistently one of the dominant forces in Scottish football.

Obviously we are not going to publicise any current activity in the market nor comment on any speculation – as usual, we will announce deals through the usual Club channels as they are concluded. It is only the second week of the window. No news does not mean that there is not a lot of work going on to strengthen the squad.

Thanks for writing in.

Fife

JimBHibees
13-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I sent an email to the club with my concerns regarding the club and the way it is being run just now and this was the response i got.

The Board of Hibernian FC keenly appreciate the current predicament the team is in and that performances and results must improve. Colin Calderwood, Derek Adams and the rest of the coaching and scouting staff are working hard to rectify that, and – in common with every previous Management team - they do so with the full backing with every resource this Board has. Do not doubt the commitment, financial or otherwise, the Board has to ensure this Club competes at the top of the SPL, in the latter stages of the Cup and in Europe on an annual basis. That is our ongoing ambition – to ensure Hibernian FC is consistently one of the dominant forces in Scottish football.

Obviously we are not going to publicise any current activity in the market nor comment on any speculation – as usual, we will announce deals through the usual Club channels as they are concluded. It is only the second week of the window. No news does not mean that there is not a lot of work going on to strengthen the squad.

Thanks for writing in.

Fife

Seems reasonable to me.

easty
13-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Seems reasonable to me.

:agree: Very generic, can't expect much more than that.

Ell_Chrisso
13-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Do you have a copy of what you sent mate, just out of interest??

The reply was much of what could be expected, but the good thing is atleast its been attended too, and not just ignored.

HibeeMG
13-01-2011, 03:23 PM
:agree: Very generic, can't expect much more than that.

Not at all. Having not seen the op's original e-mail, I don't know if the reply has addressed all his questions. I would think it has though.

I think it's great that he has given a personal reply to the extent he has.

smurf
13-01-2011, 03:31 PM
A better response than I would have expected. Quite encouraging.

yogibear1975
13-01-2011, 03:31 PM

The reply was much of what could be expected, but the good thing is atleast its been attended too, and not just ignored.

Good Morning,

As a loyal Hibernian supporter for the last 25yrs I am starting to become very concerned with the direction the club is going. You have appointed a new manager now and as a supporter I would like to know what backing the manager will be receiving in this transfer window. The club is in serious danger of relegation for the second time in 15years; this is not a situation a club the size of Hibernian should be experiencing. As I’m sure you are aware Falkirk’s chairman was recently quoted in the media saying the club expected to lose 2million in revenue by the end of the first season in the first division.

Given the relative financial security the club is currently in, I would expect to see more activity in the transfer market to bring in some players who would strengthen our current position. Relegation again does not bear thinking about; given the last time we dropped out of the topflight we spent 10years of hurt selling our best assets to remedy our financial situation.

Given the attendance on Saturday – to which 1,500 were Ayr fans, I’m sure you will agree that many more fans like myself are completely disillusioned with the current team performance and lack of spirit shown each match day by the players at this current time. I do not blame the manager for the way in which the team is performing but I do blame the board for not coming out and showing the same support they have shown to the previous manager and invest in the team on the park or look at losing more fans on a weekly basis attending Easter Road.

khib70
13-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks for writing in.

Fife
Precisely what you would expect the club to say - and indeed want them to say. More or less what they've said for years.

If actions match words I've got no problem with that.

RIP
13-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Out of all the members of the board can we assume that only Fife is tasked with replying?

Or does he just compose the most eloquent replies?

Or is it just that everyone else is too busy?

Either way - it's a guid response

Oh and yes - I'm told Fife does read Hibs.Net :wink:

Andy74
13-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Good Morning,

As a loyal Hibernian supporter for the last 25yrs I am starting to become very concerned with the direction the club is going. You have appointed a new manager now and as a supporter I would like to know what backing the manager will be receiving in this transfer window. The club is in serious danger of relegation for the second time in 15years; this is not a situation a club the size of Hibernian should be experiencing. As I’m sure you are aware Falkirk’s chairman was recently quoted in the media saying the club expected to lose 2million in revenue by the end of the first season in the first division.

Given the relative financial security the club is currently in, I would expect to see more activity in the transfer market to bring in some players who would strengthen our current position. Relegation again does not bear thinking about; given the last time we dropped out of the topflight we spent 10years of hurt selling our best assets to remedy our financial situation.

Given the attendance on Saturday – to which 1,500 were Ayr fans, I’m sure you will agree that many more fans like myself are completely disillusioned with the current team performance and lack of spirit shown each match day by the players at this current time. I do not blame the manager for the way in which the team is performing but I do blame the board for not coming out and showing the same support they have shown to the previous manager and invest in the team on the park or look at losing more fans on a weekly basis attending Easter Road.

Getting that a few days after the transfer window opened and about 20 days before it closed I think they've done well to give you a thought out answer.

What is says is exactly what the Board have said for years, and I'm not sure why people have to continue to question them on it.

Not really their fault that recent signings haven't provided the return they had hoped for but they have backed their managers and also taken action when they felt the managers hadn't performed.

DoonTheSlope
13-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Decent reply from Fyfe and he should be thanked for this. Things are obviously difficult for everyone connected with the club, including the board. Lets get behind them and judge them on their actions and the improvement we all want.

JimBHibees
13-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Decent reply from Fyfe and he should be thanked for this. Things are obviously difficult for everyone connected with the club, including the board. Lets get behind them and judge them on their actions and the improvement we all want.

Absolutely right, too much bedwetting going on at the moment.

Jack
13-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Out of all the members of the board can we assume that only Fife is tasked with replying?

Or does he just compose the most eloquent replies?

Or is it just that everyone else is too busy?

Either way - it's a guid response

Oh and yes - I'm told Fife does read Hibs.Net :wink:

As the director responsible for support/fans liaison I suspect he is the one tasked with replying to fans. Composing eloquent replies will have been one of the things on the job description when he applied although having reached the upper echelons of one of the biggest professional clubs in Scotland I reckon any of them could rattle out eloquent replies.

The reply answers our current concerns. I just wished Hibs had of got a couple of bodies in training with the Club in December; signed them on the morning of the 1st and stuffed the Hearts in the afternoon! Ayr a week later and …

HFC 0-7
13-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Getting that a few days after the transfer window opened and about 20 days before it closed I think they've done well to give you a thought out answer.

What is says is exactly what the Board have said for years, and I'm not sure why people have to continue to question them on it.

Not really their fault that recent signings haven't provided the return they had hoped for but they have backed their managers and also taken action when they felt the managers hadn't performed.

If you read the response the OP got it says that the boards ambition is to be in the latter stages of the cups, at the top end of the SPL and in Europe on an annual basis.

Our average league position over the last 11 seasons has been 6th. As high as 3rd and as low as 10th. They must have been in europe 2 or 3 times in the last 11 seasons and they certainly have had a mixed bag in terms of getting to the latter stages of cups.

This is why fans question the board, they are failing to achieve the goals they set themselves.

WhileTheChief..
13-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Good email from the OP and a decent enough response.

Can't help feeling that a lot of bad feeling could have been avoided if the club had put a similar statement on the official website without the need for people writing in to them.

lucky
13-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Positive response. I'm happy as long as new faces arrive. Feel more positive about Hibs again with the yams getting humped and the chance of new signings. Roll on Saturday when stuff the wee greens

HibbyAndy
13-01-2011, 06:24 PM
If you read the response the OP got it says that the boards ambition is to be in the latter stages of the cups, at the top end of the SPL and in Europe on an annual basis.

Our average league position over the last 11 seasons has been 6th. As high as 3rd and as low as 10th. They must have been in europe 2 or 3 times in the last 11 seasons and they certainly have had a mixed bag in terms of getting to the latter stages of cups.

This is why fans question the board, they are failing to achieve the goals they set themselves.

Gawn dinnae, Thats way to sensible for some people to acknowledge.

The_Sauz
13-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Sorry but that not true!
The only thing the board are guilty of, is appointing the wrong managers. The board are responsible for the infrastructure and the manager is responsible for matching the clubs ambitions on the field with a set wage /transfer budget.

--------
13-01-2011, 06:31 PM

They've just sent him the Bug Letter. :rolleyes:

greenlex
13-01-2011, 06:36 PM

Decent post but you forgot the underlying conditions that was achieved in.
Getting debt under control and building an infrastructure the best in the SPL outside the old firm. In another 11 seasons with the platform we have built we really should be achieving on the park and be where we want to be.
I think the current board and Petrie in particular deserves the chance to progress the club on the park. Whether they can will become evident in the next couple of years and maybe just maybe then it could be time to let someone else take us there.

Spend money too quick though and we could be back five to ten years. I wouldn't want that either. I do think we need to spend a bit to ensure SPL status for next season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2011, 06:45 PM
that's not a bad reply considering the responder doesn't know if you are a diehard, a jambo on the wind-up or a journo with a story to write. Either way, the commitment is now public knowledge and hopefully it means that if CC goes to the chairman and makes it plain what we need to bring in to at least ensure our SPL survival.

grunt
13-01-2011, 06:45 PM

This is why fans question the board, they are failing to achieve the goals they set themselves.I'm sure that this mantra about top 6 / cups and Europe has only been the declared ambition of the Board for the last two or three years. So it's a little unfair to go back 11 seasons, when presumably in the earlier years our objective was to clear the debt, build the youth team, other things. I could of course be wrong.

Ray_
13-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Sorry but that not true!
The only thing the board are guilty of, is appointing the wrong managers. The board are responsible for the infrastructure and the manager is responsible for matching the clubs ambitions on the field with a set wage /transfer budget.

The only thing? This is the most important position in a football club & we are in the position where we are simply because we have regularly failed to make the right appointment.

greenlex
13-01-2011, 06:53 PM
The only thing? This is the most important position in a football club & we are in the position where we are simply because we have regularly failed to make the right appointment.
Regularly?
I will give you Sauzee Mixu and Hughes recently in what is the world over a risky business. One was quickly replaced and the other two backed till it became apparent they could not progress us they way they should.
Some of the best managers out there have failed in clubs where they should flourish so even going for broke does not guarantee success.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-01-2011, 07:02 PM
A "painting by numbers" reply

Typical wall of silence as we come to expect from the board

greenlex
13-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Painting by number reply? Get a grip. What did you expect ? A detailed account of the goings on in the clubs transfer activity?:rolleyes:

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=yogibear1975;2689414]I sent an email to the club with my concerns regarding the club and the way it is being run just now and this was the response i got.

Thanks for writing in.

Probably a cut-n-paste job!

I got a phone call at the start of this season cause I never re-newed my season ticket and I expressed the concerns that you did and I got the above pash and I re-newed as I always do, now when I call the person to tell hin my concerns were bang on he wont take my calls!

Wilson
13-01-2011, 07:40 PM
It may now be a standard reply and as et points out they may promise it off the cuff and fall far short. At least though their reply shows some understanding of the minimum we expect for a club like hibs. If they aren't close to the above then they should be working hard to get us there.

Carheenlea
13-01-2011, 07:59 PM
As long as private letters from the boardroom to individual fans end up on internet forums, it is amazing anyone actually gets a reply, let alone any exclusive revelations.

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 08:07 PM
As long as private letters from the boardroom to individual fans end up on internet forums, it is amazing anyone actually gets a reply, let alone any exclusive revelations.

It's hardly top secret stuff is it, infact it's a crap letter and Fife probably gave it two mins of his time!

I have sent two letters and no one has got back to me cause they know that I know their full of it!

BEEJ
13-01-2011, 08:14 PM
:agree: It is a considered and reassuring response.

Can't help feeling that a lot of bad feeling could have been avoided if the club had put a similar statement on the official website without the need for people writing in to them.
:agree: Doesn't matter if we've heard much of it before - it bears repeating at critical times like this. And the support needs to hear that the Board are on the case rather than just assuming that to be so.

HFC 0-7
13-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Sorry but that not true!

In any business the top person in the business employs people who they deem capable of carrying out the tasks of that position. Ultimately if a person does not suceed in the role they are either the wrong person for the job or not given the tools to do the job. Either way it the person or persons that employ these people that are accountable.

Would you think it be alright at the next AGM for a fan to ask the board the question why they havent achieved their goals for the reply to be 'its not our fault the managers we have employed havent been up to it'?

Iain G
13-01-2011, 08:28 PM

What on God's green earth did you expect them to say then?

"Oh yeah, we are talking to Leigh Griffiths and some Newcastle Reserves and we will be signing them next week, oh, but goannay no tell anyone as we don't want gazumped??"

I'm glad I'm not in a position to attend games at Easter Road anymore as I suspect a whole bunch of our supporters make it a miserable place to spend 2 hours of anyones life at present...

HFC 0-7
13-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm sure that this mantra about top 6 / cups and Europe has only been the declared ambition of the Board for the last two or three years. So it's a little unfair to go back 11 seasons, when presumably in the earlier years our objective was to clear the debt, build the youth team, other things. I could of course be wrong.

Maybe not going back 11 years, but I would say more than 2 or 3. The debt has been manageable for more than 2 or 3 seasons now, either way I would say that the clubs achievments have been below par overall. Either way, this season we are looking like finishing bottom 6, possibly worse. Out of the league cup at the first time of asking, looking like scottish cup could be first round and certainly no chance of europe unless we make no fouls for the rest of the season and get in through the back door with the fair play award.

My point is that Hibs are not living up to expectations of the fans or board this is why fans question the boards direction.

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 08:32 PM
What on God's green earth did you expect them to say then?

"Oh yeah, we are talking to Leigh Griffiths and some Newcastle Reserves and we will be signing them next week, oh, but goannay no tell anyone as we don't want gazumped??"

I'm glad I'm not in a position to attend games at Easter Road anymore as I suspect a whole bunch of our supporters make it a miserable place to spend 2 hours of anyones life at present...

It is mate, absolutley awful at the moment!

Aubenas
13-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm completely gobsmacked as to why people want to attack the Board.

We can't sack them, and, in fact, they are the reason we have a club. You wouldn't have to read these mboards for too long to realise if the fans were running the club we'd have gone down the swannee years ago. Yes, we all want success, but you can't guarantee that with millions of pounds or lots of signings and you can't guarantee appointing a manager will do the biz. The idea that RP resigns cos he's not appointed a manager that's brought us success is bizarre. If a baggage handler at Heathrow loses my case, I don't demand Richard Branson's resignation for picking poor staff.

The fact is, like it or not, the Hibs board have backed successive managers to a greater degree than any other club; to a greater or lesser extent, those managers have failed; Killie's board told Mixu there's no money - but if there's no relegation this year due to reorganisation, we'll go into administration and you can start again = no money, no pressure, and team of the year.
Bit of a lesson there for those who vent their frustration on the board, or on a manager who's just arrived.

Iain G
13-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm completely gobsmacked as to why people want to attack the Board.

We can't sack them, and, in fact, they are the reason we have a club. You wouldn't have to read these mboards for too long to realise if the fans were running the club we'd have gone down the swannee years ago. Yes, we all want success, but you can't guarantee that with millions of pounds or lots of signings and you can't guarantee appointing a manager will do the biz. The idea that RP resigns cos he's not appointed a manager that's brought us success is bizarre. If a baggage handler at Heathrow loses my case, I don't demand Richard Branson's resignation for picking poor staff.
The fact is, like it or not, the Hibs board have backed successive managers to a greater degree than any other club; to a greater or lesser extent, those managers have failed; Killie's board told Mixu there's no money - but if there's no relegation this year due to reorganisation, we'll go into administration and you can start again = no money, no pressure, and team of the year.
Bit of a lesson there for those who vent their frustration on the board, or on a manager who's just arrived.

That's good as the baggage handlers are not employed by the airlines :devil::wink:

There is very much a blame culture in British society and it is manifesting itself here in conjunction with another aspect of modern culture, the "right here right now" stamp your foot and have a tantrum demand for instant gratification, there is no patience any more, nobody seems to be able to wait for something, it's all NOW NOW NOW! We are no longer humans, we are now just consumers :agree:

There is a reality of supporting Hibs that is frustrating, as the only thing Hibs have been really consistant at is being inconsistant throughout the ages, but come on at the end of the day(!) it's only just a smallish football team in a poor league and perhaps in the current day people are losing some perspective a little on that, probably a little stoked up by the EPL and the media machine that surrounds it. :confused:

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 09:04 PM
That's good as the baggage handlers are not employed by the airlines :devil::wink:

There is very much a blame culture in British society and it is manifesting itself here in conjunction with another aspect of modern culture, the "right here right now" stamp your foot and have a tantrum demand for instant gratification, there is no patience any more, nobody seems to be able to wait for something, it's all NOW NOW NOW! We are no longer humans, we are now just consumers :agree:

There is a reality of supporting Hibs that is frustrating, as the only thing Hibs have been really consistant at is being inconsistant throughout the ages, but come on at the end of the day(!) it's only just a smallish football team in a poor league and perhaps in the current day people are losing some perspective a little on that, probably a little stoked up by the EPL and the media machine that surrounds it. :confused:

Perspective!!! I know you're on the other side of the planet but have you seen them play on the telly, they are shocking!!!! were not that daft to be thinking we are the best in the league and we should be winning everything but when they charge £20 - £35 for a match they should be at least trying, this bunch aint!

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Painting by number reply? Get a grip. What did you expect ? A detailed account of the goings on in the clubs transfer activity?:rolleyes:

No! that's why I called it that FFS!

:rolleyes:

Jack
13-01-2011, 09:18 PM
We are all asking the same questions of the club. Why do so many expect different answers? Fife has given out the Club policy. Its unlikely to change, nor are the replies.

Iain G
13-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Perspective!!! I know you're on the other side of the planet but have you seen them play on the telly, they are shocking!!!! were not that daft to be thinking we are the best in the league and we should be winning everything but when they charge £20 - £35 for a match they should be at least trying, this bunch aint!

Yeah I saw them anihilate Rangers at Ibrox not that long ago :wink:

I just don't know why people get so worked up when we "underachieve", I mean it's part of the Hibernian way that, it's not exactly a new phenomenon :devil:

Andy74
13-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Yep, fair point, from that you then need to look at the underlying reasons. Looks a lot like players not living up to potential and managers not working out as expected.

Not reaching the ambitions set out by the board doesn't equate to the Board being to blame for it.

BEEJ
13-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Or perhaps we're not all just greedy, ungrateful, impatient twonks but some of us actually have some passion for our football team.

Passion and perspective seldom mix well.

Yep, fair point, from that you then need to look at the underlying reasons. Looks a lot like players not living up to potential and managers not working out as expected.

Not reaching the ambitions set out by the board doesn't equate to the Board being to blame for it.
So the Board aren't to blame ... and Yogi wasn't to blame ...... and Mixu wasn't to blame ..... and the players are all doing the best they can ...... so that just leaves the supporters. It must be our fault.

Is that the line of argument?

smurf
13-01-2011, 10:33 PM

But would you accept that they have ultimate responsibility for it?

As within the executive of any organisation the strategy is not to underperform, but if the actual results are that it is, then its them that are responsible and accountabile.

Out of interest who would you suggest is responsible for the shambles that Liverpool FC are?

The almost universal consensus is that it was the previous ownership.

Being consistent I presume its not an analysis you would share?

Andy74
13-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Or perhaps we're not all just greedy, ungrateful, impatient twonks but some of us actually have some passion for our football team.

So the Board aren't to blame ... and Yogi wasn't to blame ...... and Mixu wasn't to blame ..... and the players are all doing the best they can ...... so that just leaves the supporters. It must be our fault.

Is that the line of argument?

I wasn't a supporter of mixu. I dont think Hughes was totally to blame and I don't think the players are all doing their best. And yes, the attitude of the fans has been partly to blame too.

Bad Martini
13-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Their own goals, as defined by them even in this reply (Which I do acknowledge at least shows some honesty that they indeed replied and stated) are not being met though. And the strength of our squad, is *****. So, lets hope the board get THEIR ambitions met this window i.e. we end up further up the league, we get the strength in the squad and the aim (and thus funds and players to allow it to happen) are forthcoming so we can get a sustained run in the cup and compete for Europe "annually".

We can all say we aspire and want the best for Hibs. Nobody doubts everyone WANTS that for whatever reason. However, only a select few can make the decisions to make it actually happen namely the board in the main with cash. Money talks and bull**** walks. Simples :agree:

Iain G
13-01-2011, 10:37 PM

?

Perhaps time to take a step back then? It's amazing what a few years away from Edinburgh does to your perspective on all things Hibs :wink:

Whatever the reason, I suspect some of the reaction of some of our supporters is off putting for some folks, and this constant need to apportion and direct blame and anger at someone (Nish/Yogi/Rod/Tom Farmer etc) is vile, verging on Old Firm-istic behaviour and downright depressing for some of us reading it. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Decent post but you forgot the underlying conditions that was achieved in.
Getting debt under control and building an infrastructure the best in the SPL outside the old firm. In another 11 seasons with the platform we have built we really should be achieving on the park and be where we want to be.
I think the current board and Petrie in particular deserves the chance to progress the club on the park. Whether they can will become evident in the next couple of years and maybe just maybe then it could be time to let someone else take us there.

Spend money too quick though and we could be back five to ten years. I wouldn't want that either. I do think we need to spend a bit to ensure SPL status for next season.

:top marks Yip good post, i'd put money on the next 11 years being a lot better than the last 11. Its all in place now, the platforms there to give us the best chance in years for some success.

Andy74
13-01-2011, 10:39 PM
But would you accept that they have ultimate responsibility for it?

As within the executive of any organisation the strategy is not to underperform, but if the actual results are that it is, then its them that are responsible and accountabile.

Out of interest who would you suggest is responsible for the shambles that Liverpool FC are?

The almost universal consensus is that it was the previous ownership.

Being consistent I presume its not an analysis you would share?
I don't know anything about Liverpool or how they were or are being run.

Yes, at hibs the board are ultimately responsible.

That doesn't mean responsible as in to blame but responsible as in accountable overall.

They've taken the action to change the management who the football side is really run by and they will back the new manager in changing the workforce.

If me and my boss **** up at work the board are seldom to blame.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 10:42 PM
If Pertie and his other board members were to leave tomorrow, who replaces them?

I know its not a great idea to keep someone just because there is no other option, but i'd like to know the answer to that question.:confused:

HFC 0-7
13-01-2011, 10:44 PM

I am not saying that they are totally to blame, however, it is a reason why people would question their methods, set up and direction. Something at the club isnt working as it should, whether it be the board, the managers or the players. It could even be all of them. What I would say though is if something is broken which isnt directly the board, they, being the top level of authoirty at the club need to find the problem and rectify it before more damage is done.

IMO they have taken to long, the writing has been on the wall for a while and they have made some bad decisions its how they rectify them and its almost a make or break time for them this January. If the wrong decisions are made in this window and we are relegated, all the good work the board has done in regards to our financials will have been undone.

I have no doubt that the board are fully aware of this, I just dont know if they have the right people on the board to help decide whether CC's requests for players are too risky or not.

My main criticism of the board is letting it go this far, by their own admission they are falling well behind their goals and I think most fans seen this coming as their has been something wrong at easter road for a few seasons now.

BEEJ
13-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Perhaps time to take a step back then? It's amazing what a few years away from Edinburgh does to your perspective on all things Hibs :wink:

Whatever the reason, I suspect some of the reaction of some of our supporters is off putting for some folks, and this constant need to apportion and direct blame and anger at someone (Nish/Yogi/Rod/Tom Farmer etc) is vile, verging on Old Firm-istic behaviour and downright depressing for some of us reading it. :agree:
Sadly stepping back is just what some are choosing to do.

You need to come back over here for a couple of months mid-season and soak up the Hibs match-day experience on a regular basis. :greengrin The last year has been something to behold.

If you'd been here you would soon have started muttering questions to yourself again about your team like "How on earth?" "Why?" "Is it too much to ask?" etc etc etc. :wink:

No room for complacency when you're supporting Hibs and season / match day tickets cost what they do.

PaulSmith
13-01-2011, 10:47 PM
If Pertie and his other board members were to leave tomorrow, who replaces them?

I know its not a great idea to keep someone just because there is no other option, but i'd like to know the answer to that question.:confused:

I dont think that it would be difficult to advertise for the position and replace with the best candidate.

Andy74
13-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Football people is the thing i usually hear.

I think personally that Petrie knows more about football and how it works than anyone here and most people out there.

We also have someone who was a chief exec at Aston villa or something if i recall?

You know , Willie Miller always has Aberdeen In such a strong position for example.

HFC 0-7
13-01-2011, 10:51 PM

I think personally that Petrie knows more about football and how it works than anyone here and most people out there.

We also have someone who was a chief exec at Aston villa or something if i recall?

You know , Willie Miller always has Aberdeen In such a strong position for example.

I think its a balance between the 2, the financial person has the final say but there should be a football person in there that Rod trusts. Possibly someone in an advisory role to the board.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I dont think that it would be difficult to advertise for the position and replace with the best candidate.

If someone replaced Petrie, what difference would it make?

hiblander
13-01-2011, 10:53 PM

The answer is they won't or it will be some other random businessman who you haven't heard of before !

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 10:54 PM

I asked this question last week, but nobody replied? What clubs in the SPL have a football director? Willie Miller was the only one i could think of, yet there seems to be a big clamour for one at easter road?

Andy74
13-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I think its a balance between the 2, the financial person has the final say but there should be a football person in there that Rod trusts. Possibly someone in an advisory role to the board.

The football person is the manager.

HFC 0-7
13-01-2011, 11:04 PM
The football person is the manager.

This current team of players shows you how well that has worked out. Obviously the manager will like a player and will try and get the board to sign that player by talking him up a lot. If there is another person in their with a more independant view they would be able to take a more objective look at it. They will be able to explain the risks better, probably have a fairer view in terms of sell on possibilities etc.

I am pretty sure a footballing person that was an advisor to the board would have put his foot down and told the board under no circumstances release funds for O'brien or for some of the players on the books just now. You have to look at the managers hibs employ, most of them are rookies and will make mistakes in tactics and with transfers. An advisor could help stop quite as many transfer mistakes happening.

erin go bragh
13-01-2011, 11:04 PM
:greengrin
Good Morning,

:top marksLIKE IT MATE,spot on and well done hibs for the reply, now its up to cc to show us he can spot and make some great signings that will turn our season around.[ and were still in this mickey mouse cup] :greengrin
ggtth

Andy74
13-01-2011, 11:10 PM
This current team of players shows you how well that has worked out. Obviously the manager will like a player and will try and get the board to sign that player by talking him up a lot. If there is another person in their with a more independant view they would be able to take a more objective look at it. They will be able to explain the risks better, probably have a fairer view in terms of sell on possibilities etc.

I am pretty sure a footballing person that was an advisor to the board would have put his foot down and told the board under no circumstances release funds for O'brien or for some of the players on the books just now. You have to look at the managers hibs employ, most of them are rookies and will make mistakes in tactics and with transfers. An advisor could help stop quite as many transfer mistakes happening.
Nah, not for me and most managers hate that situation. If the director of football thinks he knows better on players let him manage the club.

Perhaps the fans need to back off managers and perhaps show a modicum of support, say when you've had a few months of poor form after a far longer good run of results.

Perhaps then we'd see a situation where players could recover confidence or fit into a new club.

Seems to be a lot of blame for everyone except us who turn on our own at the drop of a hat these days.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Did you watch that programme about Peterbourgh United, they brought Ron Atkinson in to do just what you want. Ended up a right farce.

sesoim
13-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Regularly?
I will give you Sauzee Mixu and Hughes recently in what is the world over a risky business. One was quickly replaced and the other two backed till it became apparent they could not progress us they way they should.
Some of the best managers out there have failed in clubs where they should flourish so even going for broke does not guarantee success.

And Collins - what had he done as a manager to prove he could do the job beforehand - absolutely nothing. He had just played for Scotland a lot of times - apparently that is all you need to be a great manager in waiting nowadays.

And Williamson - he was never going to popular because of his background, personality and tactics. A board with decent football knowledge/judgement/instinct would have saw that.

And as for Calderwood, where do I start?

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Good Morning,

How do you know we have not backed CC the same as the previous managers? This window has not closed yet, and we still have the summer to come?

Danderhall Hibs
13-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Did you watch that programme about Peterbourgh United, they brought Ron Atkinson in to do just what you want. Ended up a right farce.

Maybe we shoud go for Steve Bleasdale as our adviser to Calderwood. :greengrin
At least he could show him how to resign properly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DX3eFbhHos).

He was like a mental Ian Holloway.

marinello59
13-01-2011, 11:20 PM
And Collins - what had he done as a manager to prove he could do the job beforehand - absolutely nothing. He had just played for Scotland a lot of times - apparently that is all you need to be a great manager in waiting nowadays.

And Williamson - he was never going to popular because of his background, personality and tactics. A board with decent football knowledge/judgement/instinct would have saw that.

And what did he do for us.............well apart from managing us to a rare trophy win of course. :wink:

Andy74
13-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Collins had been a successful coach at fulham with all the top coaching badges and had studied management methods all over the world.

Same previous experience as Tony Mowbray.

Calderwood has had success in terms of promotions at each of his previous clubs.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2011, 11:28 PM
At least he could show him how to resign properly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DX3eFbhHos).

His position was totally undermined by Fry bringing in Atkinson. It was a shambles from beginning to end, funny though. :greengrin

Christ we cant seem to get the managers position right, what chance do we have of appointing 2 right?

hiblander
13-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Seems to be a lot of blame for everyone except us who turn on our own at the drop of a hat these days.

Yip def since Collins left...look at Mixu now makes me sick to see Hibs men through and through being treated like they have by the support. :top marks

matty_f
13-01-2011, 11:32 PM

:tee hee:

His position was totally undermined by Fry bringing in Atkinson. It was a shambles from beginning to end, funny though. :greengrin

Christ we cant seem to get the managers position right, what chance do we have of appointing 2 right?
:agree:
Collins brought Tommy Craig in for the experience, and we signed some of the pishest players I can remember, and ended up playing some honking football by the end as well.

monktonharp
13-01-2011, 11:33 PM

There is a reality of supporting Hibs that is frustrating, as the only thing Hibs have been really consistant at is being inconsistant throughout the ages, but come on at the end of the day(!) it's only just a smallish football team in a poor league and perhaps in the current day people are losing some perspective a little on that, probably a little stoked up by the EPL and the media machine that surrounds it. :confused:why do you bother commenting,on a wee diddy team in a wee diddy league in a wee diddy country,that no one likes for their auld ideas.............in this "british" society that we supposedly live in,..........fae your great soceity doon yoor way?:rolleyes:

hiblander
13-01-2011, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=fae your great soceity doon yoor way?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

He has said it himself ...

probably a little stoked up by the EPL and the media machine that surrounds it.

:notworthy:

greenlex
13-01-2011, 11:57 PM

Collins brought us silverware. Nuff said
williamson was brought in to do a job. He did it. He had us on an even keel while we were slashing wages and blooded most of the golden generation. I didn't like the style of football either but from an employers point of view he did what was required. Pity about that final it has to be said

HFC 0-7
14-01-2011, 12:08 AM

Did you see that team called hibs who had a steady stream of managers and ended up with an absolutely shocking team? Did you see players like Obrien and De Graff that someone with a footballing brain could have advised the board to perhaps not bother!

I am just putting out suggestions as the current set up clearly isnt working, I am sorry to question the boards ability around this, but unlike many on here I would rather see change than the fingers crossed hoping that the new manager has it all under control!

Iain G
14-01-2011, 12:39 AM
why do you bother commenting,on a wee diddy team in a wee diddy league in a wee diddy country,that no one likes for their auld ideas.............in this "british" society that we supposedly live in,..........fae your great soceity doon yoor way?:rolleyes:

Reading your post I'm wondering why I do bother at times... :wink:

Iain G
14-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Did you see that team called hibs who had a steady stream of managers and ended up with an absolutely shocking team? Did you see players like Obrien and De Graff that someone with a footballing brain could have advised the board to perhaps not bother!

I am just putting out suggestions as the current set up clearly isnt working, I am sorry to question the boards ability around this, but unlike many on here I would rather see change than the fingers crossed hoping that the new manager has it all under control!

De Graff who captained a fairly good team in Holland, everyone on here was impressed with the calibre of the player when he signed.

O'Brien was certainly a Tommy Craig (experienced football man) suggestion.

Removed
14-01-2011, 12:43 AM

I don't know anyone who is sitting with their fingers crossed hoping for the best. Who are these people?

hiblander
14-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Reading your post I'm wondering why I do bother at times... :wink:

Cause your a Hibs fan missing the team and the motherland... simple !

Barney McGrew
14-01-2011, 06:21 AM
I am pretty sure a footballing person that was an advisor to the board would have put his foot down and told the board under no circumstances release funds for O'brien or for some of the players on the books just now

So you'd then have someone on the board deciding who the manager did/din't sign on their assessment of his footballing ability. I'm sure any manager would be delighted to work under those conditions. It definately worked with Dennis Wise doing it at Newcastle for example.

The players that come in to the club should do so on the managers say so and the managers say so only IMO. The financial side of things should be the only consideration from the board's side of it, but as long as that player fits within the budget and wage structure, then they need to trust the judgement of the manager they've put in place.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 09:41 AM
So you'd then have someone on the board deciding who the manager did/din't sign on their assessment of his footballing ability. I'm sure any manager would be delighted to work under those conditions. It definately worked with Dennis Wise doing it at Newcastle for example.

The players that come in to the club should do so on the managers say so and the managers say so only IMO. The financial side of things should be the only consideration from the board's side of it, but as long as that player fits within the budget and wage structure, then they need to trust the judgement of the manager they've put in place.

This. :agree::top marks

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Clearly isn't working my arse.

Since we had the SUABC campaign in 2005, did you see the 2 qualifications for Europe? Did you see the cup win? Did you see the finish of the stadium? Did you see the new training ground go up. One bad season since we started the SUABC campaign, and we are squealing like pigs. :rolleyes:

HibbyRod
14-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Just on a lighter note ..... that typo really made my laugh BH.

The thought of a Pertie Petrie! :hilarious

PaulSmith
14-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Since we had the SUABC campaign in 2005, did you see the 2 qualifications for Europe? Did you see the cup win? Did you see the finish of the stadium? Did you see the new training ground go up. One bad season since we started the SUABC campaign, and we are squealing like pigs. :rolleyes:

BH, I know you do this kinda of post to get a reaction. You've always done it and fair play to you, I remember your posts calling for the head of the manager (Collins IIRC) after a LC defeat at home to Motherwell. Where you squealing like a pig then on this very forum or just another post to get a reaction and kill some time on the PC :na na:

HFC 0-7
14-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Behave yourself!

One bad season? This is going to be a bad season and the 3 seasons where we finished 6th were bad seasons IMO. Yes we won a cup but have we built on that success?

The boards ambition is to be at the top end of the SPL, latter stages of cups and in Europe EVERY season!!! We have gone from trying to split the old firm and winning a cup to getting pumped out of the cups by teams in lower divisions and flirting with relegation. That IMO is a model that is not working properly on the footballing side. Say what you like, in the last 5 seasons, in footballing terms, I think we have been doing more underachieving than achieving!

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 12:43 PM
BH, I know you do this kinda of post to get a reaction. You've always done it and fair play to you, I remember your posts calling for the head of the manager (Collins IIRC) after a LC defeat at home to Motherwell. Where you squealing like a pig then on this very forum or just another post to get a reaction and kill some time on the PC :na na:

It really gets on my gonads that i post my opinion to get some kind of reaction? Is that not the reason for every poster who posts?

I wanted Collins out, i also wanted Hughes out in the end. Collins imo and thats all it is at the end of the day, bought a load of huddys, and wasted every penny he had. Hughes was in charge when we had our biggest slump ever.

RIP
14-01-2011, 04:46 PM

So does this mean that Rod would have to give up his role as Director of football then?

Speedway
14-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Dear me Paul, that's a braw memory you've got there. BH's thread was called 'This Has Been Coming' or something like that and turned into a multi page ding dong of a debate.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Dear me Paul, that's a braw memory you've got there. BH's thread was called 'This Has Been Coming' or something like that and turned into a multi page ding dong of a debate.

This shambles has been coming, if my memory is correct.

Jimmy Belter
14-01-2011, 06:07 PM
but I do blame the board for not coming out and showing the same support they have shown to the previous manager and invest in the team on the park or look at losing more fans on a weekly basis attending Easter Road.

HOW MUCH MONEY ON THE SQUAD DID YOGI SPEND OR GET IN ?

Jimmy Belter
14-01-2011, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;2690411]It really gets on my gonads that i post my opinion to get some kind of reaction? Is that not the reason for every poster who posts?

I wanted Collins out, i also wanted Hughes out in the end. Collins imo and thats all it is at the end of the day, bought a load of huddys, and wasted every penny he had. Hughes was in charge when we had our biggest slump ever.

HOW MUCH YOGI SPEND.............?

WAS COLLINS NOT 6TH & YOGI 4TH ?