PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman (Hibs): Caldo close to first deal as Grounds exits Hibs

RSS Bot
13-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Colin Calderwood today revealed he's closing in on his first signing for Hibs as Jonathan Grounds became the third player to leave Easter Road in recent weeks.

More... (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Caldo-close-to-first-deal.6689239.jp)

Baker9
13-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Colin Calderwood today revealed he's closing in on his first signing for Hibs as Jonathan Grounds became the third player to leave Easter Road in recent weeks.

More... (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Caldo-close-to-first-deal.6689239.jp)

Very unusual at this stage of the week not to have seen an interview with the manager on HTV. Hopefully it is because of transfer activity and news tomorrow? Pity we missed out on our first 2 picks - wonder who they were.

PaulSmith
13-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Last minute change of mind by one club and an injury to another prevented signings last week..hope we have better luck this week.

brog
13-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Surely this can't be true?? Firstly it's positive news & secondly we have 12 pages on this board telling us our manager's trying to resign. :wink:

CyberSauzee
13-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Gregg's will be into overdrive with this news. Let the speculation begin...

stokesmessiah
13-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Surely this can't be true?? Firstly it's positive news & secondly we have 12 pages on this board telling us our manager's trying to resign. :wink:

Im confused though that some of the people "in the know" were adamant that Colin was doing nothing to add to the squad and the board were refusing to back him with the agreed funds, then we find out that actually what happened is a couple of deals had not worked out!

JimBHibees
13-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I hope when he says he is close to the deal that it is signed and sealed and just waiting confirmation.

I would imagine a team changing their mind might have been Newcastle who picked up a few injuries last week and may have then changed their mind on releasing a younger player on loan.

down-the-slope
13-01-2011, 11:21 AM
the most interesting bit for me is it confirms it was not his desicion that Jonathan Grounds went back early...

I am not surprised as he was virtually a first pick - we have a lot of games and limited options. Also not had a chance to let Booth settle in...

It will be a key decision LB for saturday...wonder how Welsh did in bounce game...as with Miller out and Murray injured (and been well of the pace) means we are not brimming with options in the middle

Cropley10
13-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Im confused though that some of the people "in the know" were adamant that Colin was doing nothing to add to the squad and the board were refusing to back him with the agreed funds, then we find out that actually what happened is a couple of deals had not worked out!

I don't think anyone has said Colin was doing 'nothing', nor that the Board were 'refusing to back him'. You just made that up.

Nothing has happened yet. None of us on here know what is going on. May I suggest you don't believe everything you read on here, or that the Club tells us.

soproni1
13-01-2011, 11:28 AM
the most interesting bit for me is it confirms it was not his desicion that Jonathan Grounds went back early...

I am not surprised as he was virtually a first pick - we have a lot of games and limited options. Also not had a chance to let Booth settle in...

It will be a key decision LB for saturday...wonder how Welch did in bounce game...as with Miller out and Murray injured (and been well of the pace) means we are not brimming with options in the middle

I would hope we get them in sooner rather than later - bang on with Murray, doesnt have the legs to play against the average spl midfielder (more about athleticism than footballing ability) these days. That being said I would still have him as the anchor if we play 4-5-1 against Celtic

stokesmessiah
13-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't think anyone has said Colin was doing 'nothing', nor that the Board were 'refusing to back him'. You just made that up.

Nothing has happened yet. None of us on here know what is going on. May I suggest you don't believe everything you read on here, or that the Club tells us.

I suggest you have not read all the threads then!!

eastmainsmsh
13-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Lets be honest here its obvious Rodders wants us to be a producing club ,bringing through youngsters and selling them and making a tidy profit ... CC is probably on a cushy deal and is happy to be a yes man for petrie ... no disrespect but the crop of today most will not be in class of
riordan,GOC,murray,brown,thomson,whittaker and bring in significant fees sorry if thats unfair but the harsh facts is we are in Dire straits at present and there has to be drastic changes as it is unfair to blood youngsters in the position we are in imo... Allister stevenson has done a terrific job esp after John Park left but most of that group has moved away questions have to be answered in what way the club is being run and facts about what we the fans are becoming fed up with over and over again

silverhibee
13-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Lets be honest here its obvious Rodders wants us to be a producing club ,bringing through youngsters and selling them and making a tidy profit ... CC is probably on a cushy deal and is happy to be a yes man for petrie ... no disrespect but the crop of today most will not be in class of
riordan,GOC,murray,brown,thomson,whittaker and bring in significant fees sorry if thats unfair but the harsh facts is we are in Dire straits at present and there has to be drastic changes as it is unfair to blood youngsters in the position we are in imo... Allister stevenson has done a terrific job esp after John Park left but most of that group has moved away questions have to be answered in what way the club is being run and facts about what we the fans are becoming fed up with over and over again

I really dont think that CC is a yes man for Petrie, far from it.

PaulSmith
13-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Hinting at fall outs already? Manager identifies players and passes names to our Chairman to handle he negotiations. Negotiations fail primarily as we wont break our strict budget, not even to try and ensure our top flight status.

JimBHibees
13-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Hinting at fall outs already? Manager identifies players and passes names to our Chairman to handle he negotiations. Negotiations fail primarily as we wont break our strict budget, not even to try and ensure our top flight status.

where do you get that?

Peevemor
13-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Is this the strict budget that is increased year on year, despite making an operating loss in the region of £2M (for the past couple of years anyway)?

Get real FFS.

stokesmessiah
13-01-2011, 03:41 PM
where do you get that?

I was wondering the same thing, he clearly says one club had 2nd thoughts and someone else got injured...some people could get a job writing for the red tops on here !

Andy74
13-01-2011, 03:44 PM

This place is getting closer to a new low. Deary me.

CapitalHibs
13-01-2011, 03:47 PM
This place is getting closer to a new low. Deary me.

:agree: Yep, about time to change the bloody record!

JimBHibees
13-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I was wondering the same thing, he clearly says one club had 2nd thoughts and someone else got injured...some people could get a job writing for the red tops on here !

Yep second thoughts are likely to be either a new manager coming in or other players being injured meaning he needs said player when he thought they didnt. Doesnt mean that cant change when they sign other players or players recover.

Cropley10
13-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Manager identifies players and passes names to our Chairman to handle negotiations. Negotiations fail. Calderwood queries how much the Club wants to ensure top flight status.

Fixed that for you :wink:

He's never worked in Scotland - maybe, just maybe this has got something to do with it.

Anyway all will be revealed by 31.1. Either the Happy Clappers are right or the Doom and Gloomers may actually have had a point....

:flag:

TornadoHibby
13-01-2011, 05:18 PM

I used to work with a guy who constantly expressed views like that one on virtually everything, even situations which, by anyone(else)'s standards, would be considered a roaring success! :agree:

Eventually had to move on to pastures new as his behaviour was detrimental to the harmony of the staff and the business relationships and my enjoyment in the job! :wink: :cool2:

May I suggest that you try and see where positives might exist in a situation before you choose the negatives to focus on! It's a much healthier option IMO! :agree:

Kaiser1962
13-01-2011, 05:20 PM

CC is a yes man to no one.

Kaiser1962
13-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I used to work with a guy who constantly expressed views like that one on virtually everything, even situations which, by anyone(else)'s standards, would be considered a roaring success! :agree:

Eventually had to move on to pastures new as his behaviour was detrimental to the harmony of the staff and the business relationships and my enjoyment in the job! :wink: :cool2:

May I suggest that you try and see where positives might exist in a situation before you choose the negatives to focus on! It's a much healthier option IMO! :agree:

And you'll probably live longer....FACT!

PaulSmith
13-01-2011, 05:52 PM
It's quite simple guys, i keep hearing about this operational loss every post now, I put it to you that thus has come about directly due to the lack of sporting success and the decrease in income associated with it. The lack of sporting success is directly down to not investing a reasonable proportion of transfer income back into the team.
I'll also remind you all that we have still posted an overall profit in the last 6 years, to simply ignore the incoming transfer fees in accounts is frankly laughable.
Andy74, a new low. You're all too correct, that is exactly what Hibs are at present.
Hibs, under Rod Petrie, I firmly believe are about spending one pound less than they earn, they've quoted this several times and it's therefore reasonable to suggest that they would block any signing, no matter the potential impact it may have on sporting success or the potential to increase the fan base, if in black and White it looks as though we will not break even.
The last part of my previous post was a bit OTT but I'd suggest that maybe not a million miles away.

Here's a question for you all, in the summer will Hibs wait to see how many ST's we sell before completing Calderwood's signing targets or will they sign players first to encourage fans to renew ST's?

WhileTheChief..
13-01-2011, 06:05 PM
At the end of his interview on Hibs TV, CC says that things have moved significantly on the transfer front this week and that it is important to have 1 or 2 new players in soon. :thumbsup:

Cropley10
13-01-2011, 06:09 PM
It's quite simple guys, i keep hearing about this operational loss every post now, I put it to you that thus has come about directly due to the lack of sporting success and the decrease in income associated with it. The lack of sporting success is directly down to not investing a reasonable proportion of transfer income back into the team.
I'll also remind you all that we have still posted an overall profit in the last 6 years, to simply ignore the incoming transfer fees in accounts is frankly laughable.
Andy74, a new low. You're all too correct, that is exactly what Hibs are at present.
Hibs, under Rod Petrie, I firmly believe are about spending one pound less than they earn, they've quoted this several times and it's therefore reasonable to suggest that they would block any signing, no matter the potential impact it may have on sporting success or the potential to increase the fan base, if in black and White it looks as though we will not break even.
The last part of my previous post was a bit OTT but I'd suggest that maybe not a million miles away.

Here's a question for you all, in the summer will Hibs wait to see how many ST's we sell before completing Calderwood's signing targets or will they sign players first to encourage fans to renew ST's?

This has become one of those intractable arguments IMHO - the other side of this is, of course, the £2m loss, the 7 + 2 signings in 12 months, lots of evidence of the manager being backed etc. Fact is there's nothing at all left to sell, and there's almost no quality left in this team.

I'm going to say no more on the matter - but come 1 Feb, it will be interesting to see how much more quality we have in the team.

PaulSmith
13-01-2011, 06:31 PM
This has become one of those intractable arguments IMHO - the other side of this is, of course, the £2m loss, the 7 + 2 signings in 12 months, lots of evidence of the manager being backed etc. Fact is there's nothing at all left to sell, and there's almost no quality left in this team.

I'm going to say no more on the matter - but come 1 Feb, it will be interesting to see how much more quality we have in the team.

And with that I am going to graciously offer my resignation on the subject as well, I've said my piece on this and other threads and the proof will now be in the pudding come the next 6 months.

Kaiser1962
13-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Thats Farmer's mantra Paul. He has lived by it.

ScottB
13-01-2011, 06:38 PM

So how do you define said expensive player exactly?

When was the last time us signing an expensive player was a complete success?

Where as, our best signings in recent years have almost all been the apparently much maligned 'cheap' options; Bamba (Scottish 1st Division), Jones (English Lower Leagues) and so on.

Or we could fill up the side with a team of highly paid Liam Millers and Alan O'Brien's... :rolleyes:

Peevemor
13-01-2011, 06:39 PM

The last time we were in the keech financially was at the end of the McLeish/Sauzee/Latapy etc. era. We were paying big (for us) wages, but what success did we have? What was the average crowd at Easter Road? In theory you might have a a point - the reality is very different however.

No - what's laughable is how people forget that Hibs were in debt to the tune of £16M+ about 10 or so years ago and we are still in debt, albeit under control.

What's laughable is people that don't view the £5M spent on East Mains as an investment on the playing side.

But we haven't been breaking even. When the budgets are alloted and player contracts are agreed, the board don't know how much they'll get in player sale income. Take Bamba for example - last summer there was talk on here of him going for millions! In terms of balancing the books, the budgets appear to really push things to the limit.

I'll be disappointed if it's not the latter - and I mean straight away, not the summer. I'm all for being prudent,but I think the board have to give CC a cash boost to sort out the mess that our 3 previous managers have left us in.

sahib
13-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Is this the strict budget that is increased year on year, despite making an operating loss in the region of £2M (for the past couple of years anyway)?

Get real FFS.

Maybe the budget increased year on year because it was too ruddy low in the first place . The result being buying crap, that had to be punted then replaced and then oh ****! they're crap anaw we'll have to replace them ( nae sell on fee for crap mind).

nortonhibby
13-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Players have been identified yes but the January window is not the best time to be signing players there is far better value in the next window

PaulSmith
13-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Players have been identified yes but the January window is not the best time to be signing players there is far better value in the next window

No pre-contract agreements for next season then?

nortonhibby
13-01-2011, 08:04 PM
No pre-contract agreements for next season then?

unlikely but wait till the next window there will be big changes at the club in terms of players.
The infrastructure is now in place and come the Summer there will be big changes :flag:

FitbaFolkKen
13-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't see us signing lots of players to be honest, maybe 2 or 3 at most. I would imagine Calderwood will just want to give the squad a boost, ensure we stay up and do the major surgery to the squad in the summer.