PDA

View Full Version : Would old managers have done better

Gus Fring
13-01-2011, 09:09 AM
General consensus in football nowadays is that managers are sometimes let go to early or easily. So as a bit of a talking point I thought I'd ask the following question.

Had these past Hibs managers still taken the job when they did and were still in charge today, how succesful do you think they would have been?

Mowbray
Collins
Mixu

Just wondering as I always felt that JC was trying to take the squad in the right direction with fitness and professionalism etc and I think we would be reaping those benefits just now.

jdships
13-01-2011, 09:40 AM
General consensus in football nowadays is that managers are sometimes let go to early or easily. So as a bit of a talking point I thought I'd ask the following question.

Had these past Hibs managers still taken the job when they did and were still in charge today, how succesful do you think they would have been?

Mowbray
Collins
Mixu

Just wondering as I always felt that JC was trying to take the squad in the right direction with fitness and professionalism etc and I think we would be reaping those benefits just now.

I agree to a certain extent but in todays league set up there is tremendous pressure to succeed from supporters , witness the comments re managers on this forum :greengrin
What do the board do ? Listen to the support or ignore them ?
"Damned if they do , damned if they don't " :confused:
In the real world of football man management/people skills are required as well as
" fitness and professionalism" to be a decent manger and sadly JC didn't have what it takes in that area .

Mowbery left to "better" himself.
Mixu " jury was still out for me "

Someone once said " In Shankly we trust" - do we say the same of CC ? :greengrin

Gus Fring
13-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Someone once said " In Shankly we trust" - do we say the same of CC ? :greengrin

He's been left with a mess to tidy up, I honestly think he needs a year to clear out all the dross we have in the squad at the moment and build from scratch. Its going to take at least until January to do that. But we need the supporters, players and board to realise they are in for a tough ride

FRes Hibbie
13-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Mowbray
Collins
Mixu

I tend to agree with that. I know a lot of people claim he didn't have the right man-management skills etc but I think, given time and complete support from the board, he'd have had us as a pretty consistant, decent SPL team that tried to play decent football. I also think he'd be inclined to give youth more responsibilty than it seems to have at the moment - which i reckon is the right thing to do long-term.

ballengeich
13-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I tend to agree with that. I know a lot of people claim he didn't have the right man-management skills etc but I think, given time and complete support from the board, he'd have had us as a pretty consistant, decent SPL team that tried to play decent football. I also think he'd be inclined to give youth more responsibilty than it seems to have at the moment - which i reckon is the right thing to do long-term.

His transfer market dealings were as bad as his man-management. I don't know whether he's learnt from his mistakes.

His subsequent departure from Charleroi after a brief spell indicates that he isn't prepared to knuckle down for a long-term project.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2011, 10:36 AM
His transfer market dealings were as bad as his man-management. I don't know whether he's learnt from his mistakes.

His subsequent departure from Charleroi after a brief spell indicates that he isn't prepared to knuckle down for a long-term project.

:agree:

I think people forget just how bad we were when Collins left. It was comparable to our form now. A defeat up at Pittodrie, 3-1 i think, where he played McCann at centre half was one of the worst Hibs performance i have ever seen, we were brutal.

It's easy to look back with rose tinted specs but there was more than one Collins GTF thread on here when he left, crowds were dropping and the myth he had us playing good football (post CIS cup final) is exactly that- a myth. The board gave Collins some decent money to work with and he wasted the lions share on Maka and O'Brien, hardly a managaer to trust with taking the club to the 'next level'.

FRes Hibbie
13-01-2011, 10:54 AM

I think people forget just how bad we were when Collins left. It was comparable to our form now. A defeat up at Pittodrie, 3-1 i think, where he played McCann at centre half was one of the worst Hibs performance i have ever seen, we were brutal.

It's easy to look back with rose tinted specs but there was more than one Collins GTF thread on here when he left, crowds were dropping and the myth he had us playing good football (post CIS cup final) is exactly that- a myth. The board gave Collins some decent money to work with and he wasted the lions share on Maka and O'Brien, hardly a managaer to trust with taking the club to the 'next level'.

He was far from perfect and I agree that some, most or maybe even all his transfer dealings were highly questionable but he did have a fair amount of adversity to contend with whilst he was here and I'm not talking about personal stuff. He had to sell what was left of our 'golden generation' which left us with little talent in the squad, especially in midfield, and he was working with a defence that had been notoriously shaky for the previous manager.

I think most people agree that we need a bit of consistancy with the management of the club at the moment and, with that in mind, I think the manager of the club should be given quite a lot of time to get things right especially for the remainder of this and next season but if I had to pick the manager I would trust most to get things right if he was backed by the board (and I obviously necessarily mean in the transfer market) I would pick Collins.

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Mowbray
Collins
Mixu

Can I add McLeish and Miller cause both of them would poss do a better job.

jdships
13-01-2011, 07:34 PM

:thumbsup:

sesoim
13-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I reckon Collins would have been ok IF he had already managed a couple of other clubs first. The board were naive in appointing him. I think he would do better now, but only if he employed a decent assistant, not Tommy Craig, one of the worst assistants of all time (his record is shocking).

I expected Mixu to do well. He didn't. Maybe again it was a matter of bad timing. He'd probably do better at Hibs now, maybe the pressure was too much before He did seem clueless and one dimensional at the time, maybe he's learnt from his mistakes since.

Mowbray did well, made some good signings. But I think his record since has gradually went downhill and I think it would be hard for him to take over a club in turmoil like we are now rather than a young up and coming team with a support desperate for a positive manager, like Hibs were in 2004.

I didn't want Hughes, and would never want to see him near Hibs ever again. I hated all the Yogi the "fans favourite" banter rubbish. He was a slow, clumsy player with a loud mouth. He became a slow manager with a loud mouth.

I'd rather have CC than Hughes and Bobby Williamson, but I'd rather have any of our other previous managers in charge now than CC. I'd rather have about eight other current SPL managers in charge instead of Calderwood as well as a few others.

I still can't believe Petrie appointed him when there were lots of more suitable candidates who wouldn't have needed months to "assess the squad", " get used to the SPL", "clear out the dead wood" etc. How come Craig Brown started getting results straight away at Aberdeen and Motherwell? How come Jimmy Calderwood got Dunfermline from the First Division to 5th in the SPL and then took Aberdeen from the bottom three in 2004 to top four almost every season he was in charge as well as Europe after Christmas, and yet he was overlooked by Petrie?

greenlex
14-01-2011, 06:28 AM
I reckon Collins would have been ok IF he had already managed a couple of other clubs first. The board were naive in appointing him. I think he would do better now, but only if he employed a decent assistant, not Tommy Craig, one of the worst assistants of all time (his record is shocking).

I expected Mixu to do well. He didn't. Maybe again it was a matter of bad timing. He'd probably do better at Hibs now, maybe the pressure was too much before He did seem clueless and one dimensional at the time, maybe he's learnt from his mistakes since.

Mowbray did well, made some good signings. But I think his record since has gradually went downhill and I think it would be hard for him to take over a club in turmoil like we are now rather than a young up and coming team with a support desperate for a positive manager, like Hibs were in 2004.

I didn't want Hughes, and would never want to see him near Hibs ever again. I hated all the Yogi the "fans favourite" banter rubbish. He was a slow, clumsy player with a loud mouth. He became a slow manager with a loud mouth.

I'd rather have CC than Hughes and Bobby Williamson, but I'd rather have any of our other previous managers in charge now than CC. I'd rather have about eight other current SPL managers in charge instead of Calderwood as well as a few others.

I still can't believe Petrie appointed him when there were lots of more suitable candidates who wouldn't have needed months to "assess the squad", " get used to the SPL", "clear out the dead wood" etc. How come Craig Brown started getting results straight away at Aberdeen and Motherwell? How come Jimmy Calderwood got Dunfermline from the First Division to 5th in the SPL and then took Aberdeen from the bottom three in 2004 to top four almost every season he was in charge as well as Europe after Christmas, and yet he was overlooked by Petrie?
Maybe just maybe Colin Calderwood will be a better manager than Brown and Jimmy Calderwood. Why have you written him off already. Why do you think the other two were better candidates? Would you seriously have 8 other Spl managers before a man who has a proven track record down south?