PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Adu

calumhibee1
13-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Free agent.. would he be worth a punt? 15 caps for America and was hyped up as being the next big thing in football when he was 14. Still young aswell. :agree:

Ritchie
13-01-2011, 09:13 AM
i (like everyone in football) expected mr adu to be a superstar!

i even purchased a USA top with Adu on the back when the hype was at its peak.

cant believe how wrong everyone was.

there is no way we could afford his wages, but if for some strange reason he decided he wanted to come to ER then id give him a 1 year contract.

there must be something in there to merit all the hope everyone had for him.

SlickShoes
13-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I think it was because people thought he was 14 years old when he was actually about 18/19 or older.

Much like the speculation about Kingstons real age there was the same about this guy. I think he peaked too young and believed the hype and is older than he says he is.

Sylar
13-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Might as well close this thread now as it'll NEVER happen.

He might not be of global superstar proportions, but Adu is FAR too good to come to the SPL.

His early career has been hindered by injuries and the like but this guy is still a player!

Ritchie
13-01-2011, 09:28 AM

He might not be of global superstar proportions, but Adu is FAR too good to come to the SPL.

His early career has been hindered by injuries and the like but this guy is still a player!

thats what they said about miller, stoke, best and.......... Ray Wilkins. :greengrin

calumhibee1
13-01-2011, 09:29 AM

He's apparently very short of offers and has struggled at every European club he's been at. Apparently had a trial with a Bundesliga 2 team which came to nothing.. Would certainly be unlikely but I don't think I'd go as far to say that he's far too good for the SPL.

LancashireHibby
13-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Signing a player purely on the basis of his Championship Manager pedigree is never a good idea.

Ritchie
13-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Signing a player purely on the basis of his Championship Manager pedigree is never a good idea.

who mentioned anything about championship manager? :confused:

Hibbyradge
13-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't want the Hibs manager ever to take a "punt" on anyone.

It's hard enough to get it right when the research has been done and the target has been identified a player with the right attributes to improve the team.

Taking a punt on a player just because they happen to be out of contract would be utterly foolish and if I'd be calling for the dismissal of any manager who admitted doing that.

calumhibee1
13-01-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't want the Hibs manager ever to take a "punt" on anyone.

It's hard enough to get it right when the research has been done and the target has been identified a player with the right attributes to improve the team.

Taking a punt on a player just because they happen to be out of contract would be utterly foolish and if I'd be calling for the dismissal of any manager who admitted doing that.
But surely you're taking a gamble/punt with any player you sign? Some players simply wont take to living in a new country, or can't handle the pressure of being at a bigger team etc. IMO every signing made is always a bit of a "punt" but of course you would like it to be a well considered gamble, and not just closing your eyes and pointing at a name on a big sheet of paper of free agents.

LancashireHibby
13-01-2011, 10:28 AM
who mentioned anything about championship manager? :confused:

That was the only reason anyone had ever heard of him in the first place if memory serves me right as he was on there as a 14 year old wonderkid.

SlickShoes
13-01-2011, 10:30 AM
That was the only reason anyone had ever heard of him in the first place if memory serves me right as he was on there as a 14 year old wonderkid.

Thats because he was playing in the MLS with DC United at age 14. The hype on him was not purely because of champ man, if that was the case then what is Cherno Samba up to these days?

Also if you look at his latest clubs i would say SPL is about his level, hes had trials at a swiss team, Randers in Denmark and is thinking about going back to the MLS having failed miserably at his last club Aris.

calumhibee1
13-01-2011, 10:30 AM

He was a 14 year old wonderkid in real life, he signed a professionall contract and was playing first team football in the MLS at 14. :agree:

easty
13-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Thats because he was playing in the MLS with DC United at age 14. The hype on him was not purely because of champ man, if that was the case then what is Cherno Samba up to these days?

Cherno Samba wasn't even nearly in the same class on Champ Man as Freddy Adu was.

I agree with LancashireHibby, if it wasn't for that game the majority of us wouldn't have heard of him. Who on here actually follows MLS??

Hibbyradge
13-01-2011, 10:33 AM
But surely you're taking a gamble/punt with any player you sign? Some players simply wont take to living in a new country, or can't handle the pressure of being at a bigger team etc. IMO every signing made is always a bit of a "punt" but of course you would like it to be a well considered gamble, and not just closing your eyes and pointing at a name on a big sheet of paper of free agents.

Indeed.

As I said, it's hard enough to get it right when the research has been done and the target has been identified a player with the right attributes to improve the team.

Taking a "punt" on a player just because they happen to be out of contract would be utterly foolish.

Ritchie
13-01-2011, 10:41 AM

i think it was the other way around.

he was plastered all over the sports channels and then people started buying him on champ man.

easty
13-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Indeed.

As I said, it's hard enough to get it right when the research has been done and the target has been identified a player with the right attributes to improve the team.

Taking a "punt" on a player just because they happen to be out of contract would be utterly foolish.

If I remember correctly from Champ Man, he was only about 5 and a half foot tall! Far too short for Hibs. Also, with a name like Adu, The Tache isn't going to make much nearly enough cash on lettering on the back of strips to justify bringing him in.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2011, 10:53 AM
i think it was the other way around.

he was plastered all over the sports channels and then people started buying him on champ man.

Bit of both i think.

He was probably the first player to be 'ruined' by a mixture of internet, global media and champ manager hype. The simple fact was Adu was never that good. He had talent and skill no doubt but he was hyped to be ready to become the best player in the world despite only ever having played in the MLS, remembering the MLS was far weaker back then than it is now. His moves to Europe showed up his limitations and injuries didn't help.

A shame really because he is/was a decent player but will be remembered as a failure for not reaching the ridiculous heights people who had never seen him play a full 90 minutes had set for him. No player should be judged on 30 second clips on a sports channel.

Jim44
13-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Frankly, I think this thread is 'much Ado about nothing'. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
13-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Id rather have Freddy Mercury.

Seriously, Adu.

Wilson
13-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Joining hibs would be a new nightmare for Freddy.

JE89
13-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Rather have this Fred. (http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/fredo.jpg)

Wilson
13-01-2011, 11:16 AM
We don't have a good track record with players called Freddy - but I don't like 'arpin'on.

Sylar
13-01-2011, 11:55 AM
If he DOES come to the SPL, I'd be willing to bet it would be to join Rangers, due to the American influence at Ibrox in recent years, with 2 of them being able to voice support to such a move.

Disc O'Dave
13-01-2011, 12:06 PM
But think of the song potential....
"Fred Adu, du du,
We scored 6 goals, you scored 2"

(I appreciate these days it'll more likely be "we scored none and let in two") :greengrin

Miller33
13-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree with LancashireHibby, if it wasn't for that game the majority of us wouldn't have heard of him. Who on here actually follows MLS??

What does it matter if we'd heard of him from Championship Manager? He was actually a quality player in real life.

This is never going to happen though, never coming to Hibs.

Sylar
13-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Cherno Samba wasn't even nearly in the same class on Champ Man as Freddy Adu was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDfnKzXzK7Q

Go Revs! :greengrin

easty
13-01-2011, 01:01 PM
What does it matter if we'd heard of him from Championship Manager? He was actually a quality player in real life.

This is never going to happen though, never coming to Hibs.

Was he? The fact he's without a club and has just been on trial at 2nd Division German side would suggest he's not as quality as you think.

I didn't see him play, ever.

easty
13-01-2011, 01:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDfnKzXzK7Q

Go Revs! :greengrin

I had the New England Revolution home strip years ago, didn't know any of their players or ever see them play. Was a school trip to America and I liked the strip so paid (far too much) for it.

Sylar
13-01-2011, 01:07 PM
If you've genuinely never seen this guy play before, here are some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGFO-qiuC38&feature=related

Ritchie
13-01-2011, 01:12 PM

i was about to post the same....

looks murder like!!:cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOK1FT_T2rI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS1lROdMxwE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2MP16sqmM&feature=related

definately not worth a punt!

i'd hate a player who got us of our seat now and again! :wink:

Miller33
13-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Was he? The fact he's without a club and has just been on trial at 2nd Division German side would suggest he's not as quality as you think.

I didn't see him play, ever.

Well if you've never seen him play then how can you comment on him, he's a brilliant wee player, never ever coming to Hibs. All i was saying is that maybe because if someone had heard of him on champ man doesnt mean the boy cant actually be good in real life, iv seen him play and think he's brilliant.

Speedy
13-01-2011, 01:29 PM

He was always a skillful player and that's where a lot of the hype came from. It doesn't mean he was going to make it though.

I haven't seen enough of him to be a judge apart from videos and they are never going to show the negative sides of his game.

Ritchie
13-01-2011, 01:32 PM
He was always a skillful player and that's where a lot of the hype came from. It doesn't mean he was going to make it though.

I haven't seen enough of him to be a judge apart from videos and they are never going to show the negative sides of his game.

but hibs have had a lot of success from signing players after watching youtube clips...... look at Zarabi for example.

Miller33
13-01-2011, 01:36 PM
but hibs have had a lot of success from signing players after watching youtube clips...... look at Zarabi for example.

He was brilliant. :not worth

vahibbie
13-01-2011, 02:08 PM

He might not be of global superstar proportions, but Adu is FAR too good to come to the SPL.His early career has been hindered by injuries and the like but this guy is still a player!

Adu will never be as good as some of the players who have graced the playing field at ER so don't know how you can say that:confused:
As someone posted, he was 15 going on 20 and never really got past the hype.
And yes....I have seen him playing.

easty
13-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Well if you've never seen him play then how can you comment on him, he's a brilliant wee player, never ever coming to Hibs. All i was saying is that maybe because if someone had heard of him on champ man doesnt mean the boy cant actually be good in real life, iv seen him play and think he's brilliant.

He's quite clearly not. Or he'd not be going on trial at German 2nd division sides.

I saw a guy on the TV the other morning, he had some amazing skills with the ball, could sit on his ass and do stuff then jump up and do something else. I don't particularly want Hibs to sign him either though.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Adu will never be as good as some of the players who have graced the playing field at ER so don't know how you can say that:confused:

:agree:

You only have to look at Adu to see he was never 14 when the hype started. That would only make him about 21 now and if he's 21 then he had the hardest paper round in history. He's in his mid 20s at least.

I used to follow the MLS quite closely and as i've said above Adu was skillful no doubt but he never really stood out in games.

Also as i've said previously a 3 minute youtube video proves nothing, 10 3 minute youtube videos prove nothing, watching him on a regular basis and looking at how his career has failed to develop is proof that he is not the player some people though he was or still think he is.

1two
13-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Get him signed along with that Jamie mcluskey we used to have

Sylar
13-01-2011, 11:01 PM

It's very difficult to compare the likes of Adu with some of the greats in the SPL, because the SPL has declined so much over the past decade, that the concept of on-field quality is quite diminished from what it once was. Look at both Rangers and Celtic (our beacons of progress :rolleyes:) - other than a token loan deal for Ljunberg, what superstars regularly grace the fields of ANY SPL side anymore?

Gone are the days when players like Gattuso, Larsson, Laudrup, van Bronckhorst, Moravcik, Petrov, the De Boer brothers (to name but a few) graced our game.

:agree:

You only have to look at Adu to see he was never 14 when the hype started. That would only make him about 21 now and if he's 21 then he had the hardest paper round in history. He's in his mid 20s at least.

I used to follow the MLS quite closely and as i've said above Adu was skillful no doubt but he never really stood out in games.

Also as i've said previously a 3 minute youtube video proves nothing, 10 3 minute youtube videos prove nothing, watching him on a regular basis and looking at how his career has failed to develop is proof that he is not the player some people though he was or still think he is.

I agree, it's not a great describer - hell, I'm sure if someone put a video of all my good golf shots together, I'd look capable of winning a major (OK, step too far :greengrin).

I've followed the MLS for years and although he didn't fulfill his early hype, Adu is still a player of high quality, capable of turning a game. Again though, it's hard to judge, as a lot of his appearances came from the bench, but he certainly has an ability to rip defenders to pieces with a ball at his feet.

I agree he probably COULD have been bigger than the hype suggested, but I still feel he's better than the SPL. Having said that, if he were to come to a Scottish club, perform at a stellar level, bolster his place in our national team roster and go on to bigger things, then great. I still don't think that will happen in the green and white of Hibs though :agree:

eastmainsmsh
13-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Tank Hurtado was a top player in MLS overrated pish :agree:

Sylar
13-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Tank Hurtado was a top player in MLS overrated pish :agree:

Christ, if the MLS gets an "over-rated" rating, I'd hate to see what they would rank the SPL!

Leishy1995
14-01-2011, 02:38 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Adu

He's still only 21, the page does say Man Utd loaned him over but wp conditions scuppered it, another ex United player? I would sign him but I am not sure if Calderwood knows of him.

NYHibby
14-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm surprised to hear this talk of him being much older. I don’t think I have ever heard anyone suggest this in America, either when he was first signed or afterwards. He is definitely not a Danny Almonte.

I read a pretty good article awhile back that said his problem is that his mental skills where never properly developed due to him joining DC United at such a young age and then sitting on the bench a lot. The article said his mental understand of the game never really developed and he plays a lot like an unpolished teenager.

He is not "too good" for the MLS so he can't be too good for the SPL. I don't see him coming here through. He would probably go back to the MLS.

MCC Hibs
14-01-2011, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=HibbyAndy;2689123]Id rather have Freddy Mercury.

He's gone to Barcelona :rolleyes: