PDA

View Full Version : NHC Savage needs geography lessons

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Derby County captain Robbie Savage says he could leave the club before the end of the season to join Major League Soccer side Vancouver Whitecaps. Savage's contract with the Rams is due to expire at the end of the season.
But the 36-year-old midfielder says he is considering an offer to move to Canada, possibly as early as March.
"The presentation they [Vancouver] made to me was brilliant. To be honest, it blew me away," said Savage, who joined Derby in January 2008 for £1.5m.
The former Blackburn player added: "I am fully committed to Derby and seeing out the end of my contract there but Vancouver have asked whether they will release me so I can be ready for the MLS season starting in March.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Robbie Savage on Twitter

"Derby have got a big decision to make and if they say I can go, then so have I."
Savage, who also works as a television pundit, admitted on his Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/robbiesavage8#) he would be faced with a major dilemma if Derby agreed to the move, adding: "In a way, I wish the presentation Vancouver made me hadn't been so good.
"They are a new team in the MLS, they're moving to a new £300m stadium and they are very ambitious.
"The chance to be part of making soccer popular in America, alongside people like David Beckham and Thierry Henry, is obviously very tempting.
"But it is up to Derby now, and depending on what they say I will then talk to my family, and to the BBC and ESPN."

:faf: Vancouver is in Canada ya tube

BEEJ
12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
But the MLS contains both Canadian and US teams. So he is correct in that sense.

ScottB
12-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Yup, rather like Ice Hockey, some Canadian sides play in the MLS, so he would be 'playing in America' at least during away games :wink:

Hibbyradge
12-01-2011, 10:47 PM
"The chance to be part of making soccer popular in America, alongside people like David Beckham and Thierry Henry, is obviously very tempting.

Yep, and Derby is in England.

Oh, and he'd be taking the chance to make soccer popular in America. :wink:

Wembley67
12-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Bit of egg on your face there DTS ;-)

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Derby County captain Robbie Savage says he could leave the club before the end of the season to join Major League Soccer side Vancouver Whitecaps. Savage's contract with the Rams is due to expire at the end of the season.
But the 36-year-old midfielder says he is considering an offer to move to Canada, possibly as early as March.
"The presentation they [Vancouver] made to me was brilliant. To be honest, it blew me away," said Savage, who joined Derby in January 2008 for £1.5m.
The former Blackburn player added: "I am fully committed to Derby and seeing out the end of my contract there but Vancouver have asked whether they will release me so I can be ready for the MLS season starting in March.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Robbie Savage on Twitter

"Derby have got a big decision to make and if they say I can go, then so have I."
Savage, who also works as a television pundit, admitted on his Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/robbiesavage8#) he would be faced with a major dilemma if Derby agreed to the move, adding: "In a way, I wish the presentation Vancouver made me hadn't been so good.
"They are a new team in the MLS, they're moving to a new £300m stadium and they are very ambitious.
"But it is up to Derby now, and depending on what they say I will then talk to my family, and to the BBC and ESPN."

Canada is part of America :wink:

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Yup but not the best way to endear yourself to your potential new fans...

surely playing for them he would want to see 'Soccer' :sick:develop in Canada....or even to say...help the MSL to improve....

I just think his brain is bleached and permed :greengrin

Would still have him at ER in a shot .... the slackers would get brown trousers with him in the team

Sir David Gray
12-01-2011, 10:51 PM
If somebody had signed for Cardiff City and they had said something along the lines of;

"I've always wanted to play in England", I personally wouldn't see anything wrong with that statement, even although everyone knows Cardiff is in Wales.

Jonnyboy
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Not as classy as Ian Rush saying 'It's like playing in a foreign country' after he joined Juventus :greengrin

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Canada is part of America :wink:

probably a large number of Americans think it is....until they try and cross the border and need explaining what a passport is :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Savage did have a geography gaff a few years ago, when he asked for a transfer to Blackburn i think, as it was nearer his home. Yet it turned out to be 20 or 30 miles further than where he currently was, but i forget where that actually was?:confused:

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 10:55 PM
If somebody had signed for Cardiff City and they had said something along the lines of;

"I've always wanted to play in England", I personally wouldn't see anything wrong with that statement, even although everyone knows Cardiff is in Wales.

Oh i think you would if you were a Cardiff supporter

jgl07
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Savage did have a geography gaff a few years ago, when he asked for a transfer to Blackburn i think, as it was nearer his home. Yet it turned out to be 20 or 30 miles further than where he currently was, but i forget where that actually was?:confused:
He was at Leicester and wanted to be nearer his home town of Wexham. He moved to Blackburn which is about 10 miles nearer.

The best one was when Kevin Keegan was trying to persuade Rob Lee of Charlton to join Newcastle. Lee had previously knocked back a move to Middlesbrough because it was too far from London. Keegan told him that Newcastle was nearer to London than Middlesbrough and Lee believed him! It is uicker by rail though.

Mixu62
12-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Not as classy as Ian Rush saying 'It's like playing in a foreign country' after he joined Juventus :greengrin

Was it Rush or Aldridge who wanted to move to an Italian club, like Barcelona!?:faf:

snooky
12-01-2011, 11:48 PM
probably a large number of Americans think it is....until they try and cross the border and need explaining what a passport is :greengrin

Canada IS part of (North) America.
Saying America and when you mean the US of A is akin to saying England when you mean Great Britain. :cool2:

"God Bless America" - every USA president that ever was :doh:

Future17
13-01-2011, 02:28 AM

The Canadians I know would consider Canada part of America, just like Scotland is part of Europe.

America isn't a nation, it's a land mass.

HibeePaj
13-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Yep, and Derby is in England.

Oh, and he'd be taking the chance to make soccer popular in America. :wink:

yeah but he is essentially joining 'american' football. He is going to be playing in the USA EVERY OTHER WEEK.

Andy74
13-01-2011, 09:00 AM
As mentioned, he is right, Canada is in America. He didn't say the United States of America.

down-the-slope
13-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Canada IS part of (North) America.
Saying America and when you mean the US of A is akin to saying England when you mean Great Britain. :cool2:

"God Bless America" - every USA president that ever was :doh:

Unfortunatley there is no passport requirement to cross from England into Scotland though :worms:... so it might be similar but is different. Unlike UK there is not one North American goverment / tax system / presidents etc

down-the-slope
13-01-2011, 09:23 AM
As mentioned, he is right, Canada is in America. He didn't say the United States of America.

He didn't say North America either :greengrin

PeeJay
13-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Having been to Vancouver I'm pretty certain that most Canadians do not wish to be referred to as "Americans" - "North Americans" perhaps at a pinch - similar really to Scottish people accepting British but never English. Americans are US citizens, surely?

Steve-O
13-01-2011, 09:39 AM
yeah but he is essentially joining 'american' football. He is going to be playing in the USA EVERY OTHER WEEK.

Can't imagine Savage making it in the NFL :no way:

hiblander
13-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Having been to Vancouver I'm pretty certain that most Canadians do not wish to be referred to as "Americans" - "North Americans" perhaps at a pinch - similar really to Scottish people accepting British but never English. Americans are US citizens, surely?

Most people from Vancouver consider themselves to be from BC (,British Colombia Canada) :greengrin

Future17
13-01-2011, 11:04 AM

But surely by your argument, North America would be the northern states of the USA? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
13-01-2011, 11:19 AM
He's not wrong. America is a land mass of which the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc etc etc are all seperate countries. In the same way that we are Europeans, someone from Canada, Chile or whatever is an American.

If we were to sign a player from say Africa and he commented he was happy to be coming to Europe would we pull him up about it?

ballengeich
13-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Savage needs lessons in more than just geography.

Andy74
13-01-2011, 12:58 PM

What difference does that make? America is still where Canada is.

smurf
13-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Savage would be good at ER.

3pm
13-01-2011, 01:09 PM

He's a better footballer than people give him credit for in my opinion.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2011, 01:53 PM

He's a very good player. I'd take him here in a minute.:agree:

Killiehibbie
13-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Don't think a passport is essential for U.S and Canadian citizens crossing the border.

HibeePaj
13-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Can't imagine Savage making it in the NFL :no way:

sorry....

http://www.sportztees.com/american%20soccer.jpg

CapitalHibs
13-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Don't think a passport is essential for U.S and Canadian citizens crossing the border.

Yes it is now - increased security and all that.

Actually I think that BC hiding behind the Rocky Mountains doesn't care a whit about the rest of Canada, much like almost half the population of Quebec. Both provinces plus possibly Alberta are very interested in the Scottish Devolution model.

LamontHFC©
13-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah, it is mate.

Killiehibbie
13-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes it is now - increased security and all that.

Actually I think that BC hiding behind the Rocky Mountains doesn't care a whit about the rest of Canada, much like almost half the population of Quebec. Both provinces plus possibly Alberta are very interested in the Scottish Devolution model.Changed days i.d such as drivers license or birth certificate used to be enough. I suppose they have to use the increased security one as another way of taxing the travelling public.

CapitalHibs
13-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Changed days i.d such as drivers license or birth certificate used to be enough. I suppose they have to use the increased security one as another way of taxing the travelling public.

Yes, it was easy then but I always used my passport, just in case, though you needed a special visa if you were a visitor in Canada.

There was the guy who crossed from BC and was going to blow up LA airport and I'm pretty sure a couple of the 911 terrorists crossed over from Canada. Lots of Mexicans coming from the U.S. trying to get into Canada also - so maybe justified.

HibbyKeith
13-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Sav strikes again... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00d8068

Littlest Hobo
13-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Savage is pish, poor control and no pace whatsoever. He's finished, just ask any supporter of Crawley town. :aok:

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 08:46 PM
He's a very good player. I'd take him here in a minute.:agree:

He's quite a good laugh when he's on 606

essexhibee
13-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Savage is pish, poor control and no pace whatsoever. He's finished, just ask any supporter of Crawley town. :aok:
I agree thought he looked rank against crawley. Some of the fan chants aimed at him where bad as well!

Owain_1987
14-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Oh i think you would if you were a Cardiff supporter

Yes you would in-fact I would send them straight back over the bridge. :greengrin

aberhibsfc
14-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Geography seems to be the least of his worries.

I've listened to him a few times on Radio 5 at the weekends as fans call in to debate footballing topics. He comes across as a bit of an ignorant antagonising tw@t, apart from that he's alright.

tbf sometimes he has some value to add, some times, other times he tends to be quite argumentative to the point it becomes embarressing, but then I suppose he fills the role of shock jock encouraging people to phone in to try and debate. Only problem is he's not into debating, his way or the highway philosophy.

I prefer Doc Savage, at least he has a cool theme tune.

PS, I've resorted to 5 live (if you can survive the cricket rubbish) because I'm bored of listening to Jim Traynor moaning or in the few glimpses of glass half full highlighting issues that could improve the Scottish game (which there is no point because the suits will never learn or change) and its smattering of OF fans moaning on.

sunshine1875
14-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Savage hit by ball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPG3G9v5sJ8