PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Deeks to Rangers

Hibee87
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Been told form a couple of people now Deek has signed/about to sign a pre contract with the huns. make of it what you will :confused:

Hibs90
12-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Utter garbage.

Moulin Yarns
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Been told form a couple of people now Deek has signed/about to sign a pre contract with the huns. make of it what you will :confused:

He'll get home sick any further away than Newbridge Roundabout

khib70
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Not if they sign his dog as well:greengrin

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Watty says any signings are dependant on Miller going...hes not gone yet, so you can draw your on conclusions from that...

Also Deeks is injured so no chance of passing a medical...

Hibee87
12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Watty says any signings are dependant on Miller going...hes not gone yet, so you can draw your on conclusions from that...

Also Deeks is injured so no chance of passing a medical...

Latest I have just been told is he has either signed or gogin to sign and when the immenent departure of miller happens the money is to be used to release him early.

I dont beleive it myself can I just add jsut passing on info.

Craig_in_Prague
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul Tosh

Toaods
12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
not heard this, can't see it happening but could see why Uncle Walter would see him as a steal for what he'd cost.

The Sea-gull
12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Don't think Uncle Walter rates him.

Never gave him a sniff when he was Scotland boss, one or two caps maybe. A couple of squads.

Then Uncle Walter is taking his pension at the end of the season so maybe if McCoist is getting the job he'd be more of a McCoist signing.

Last Minute
12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Where is silverhibee when we need him :greengrin

degenerated
12-01-2011, 02:12 PM

This was also posted by someone else on the is desk a luxury thread earlier on.

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Seems like a load of silent night but you just never know with Hibs due to previous form in regards to selling players

Pretty Boy
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
TBH this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Both Hibs and Riordan have been very quiet with regards to a new contract, Rangers can pay considerably more in wages than Hibs, Riordan is available for nothing at the end of the season, Rangers need a forward, Riordan has signed a pre contract with one of the OF before.

Maybe not as wild a rumour as it first appears.

skipster7
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
This was also posted by someone else on the is desk a luxury thread earlier on.
have heard the same,hopefully nonsense.FWIW i think a desk is a luxury few can afford:wink:

smurf
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
The Huns would be mental not to consider Derek.

And as we've not even made Derek an offer he would be mental not to consider they Hun sods...

At the end of the day Derek is as is Ian Murray a professional first.

Disc O'Dave
12-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, what are the chances of a rumour about Deeks leaving surfacing the day after Hearts get pumped out their birthright cup, and we finally have the smallest of things to mock them for.....

Uncanny....

Perspective
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
This was in The Herald the morning after the Dundee Utd game. Said Durrant had been at the game to watch Riordan and Goodwillie.

JimBHibees
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Hmmm, what are the chances of a rumour about Deeks leaving surfacing the day after Hearts get pumped out their birthright cup, and we finally have the smallest of things to mock them for.....

Uncanny....

Exactly what I was thinking.

erskine-hibby
12-01-2011, 02:57 PM

And as we've not even made Derek an offer he would be mental not to consider they Hun sods...

:agree::agree: Sadly.

Plus, it would, without doubt, improve his chances of getting a game for Scotland.

Cabbage East
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Complete and utter pish.

Beefster
12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Seems like a load of silent night but you just never know with Hibs due to previous form in regards to selling players

If Riordan signs a pre-contract with those ****my *******s, Hibs would have to sell him this month. He couldn't remain at ER for the rest of the season.

If it was true, I'd assume that Riordan would give Hibs a chance to match the offer. It's unlikely that they could but that seems to be the agreement they have.

Again, if true and he signs a pre-contract with the Old Firm again, let's not pretend that he's been forced into it by Hibs or that this isn't a carbon copy of the Celtic affair.

For what it's worth, if he does go, he won't play much.

silverhibee
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM

He must get sick everyday passing it when heading home from training.:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
TBH this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Both Hibs and Riordan have been very quiet with regards to a new contract, Rangers can pay considerably more in wages than Hibs, Riordan is available for nothing at the end of the season, Rangers need a forward, Riordan has signed a pre contract with one of the OF before.

Maybe not as wild a rumour as it first appears.

Exactly PB, I heard this a few weeks ago, but was loathed to put it on Board, in case of getting pelters for it..... Who knows if it will happen, but the sale of Miller might accentuate it?

Andy74
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM

That'd be one way to look at it.

The other would be thatb this is nothing to do with Hibs as Derek will be out of contract and we wouldn't be selling anyone through choice.

This would, if true, which I doubt, also have me questioning Derek as a real hibby when he would happily walk away twice to each side of the Old Firm.

But no, let's have Hibs as the bad guys again!

SlickShoes
12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
That'd be one way to look at it.

The other would be thatb this is nothing to do with Hibs as Derek will be out of contract and we wouldn't be selling anyone through choice.

This would, if true, which I doubt, also have me questioning Derek as a real hibby when he would happily walk away twice to each side of the Old Firm.

But no, let's have Hibs as the bad guys again!

Hibs supporter or not, his job is football and he only has about 3-4 years left as a pro, he would be stupid to turn down any move that drastically improved his wages no matter what club it is.

JimBHibees
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Apart from the money this would IMO be a lose/lose for the guy as he would be hated by every teams support and not just Rangers and Hearts. :greengrin

Dont have an issue with him moving to another club for more money however IMO go to a league which you will be better suited such as Germany.

Houchy
12-01-2011, 03:31 PM
My first thoughts are, why go for him now? He's cup tied for the scottish whereas if Wattie had his eye on him, he surely would have moved before the Ayr game, as it's not as if he needed to find out his strengths and weeknesses over a period of time first. He knows, and has known for years, everything he needs to about Mr Riordan.

He's also cup tied for the Europa I believe:agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
The huns want Goodwillie, cant see them wanting Deek imo.

JimBHibees
12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
The huns want Goodwillie, cant see them wanting Deek imo.

Agree more than likely agent spin.

Andy74
12-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Hibs supporter or not, his job is football and he only has about 3-4 years left as a pro, he would be stupid to turn down any move that drastically improved his wages no matter what club it is.

I think what I meant is that we keep hearing how all he ever wants to do is play for Hibs and the bad guys at the club make that impossible.

If he were to twice walk away from the club as soon as his contract is down, to each of the Old Firm, i don't think i'd have much sympathy with that view.

Like every footballer, or worker generally, Derek Riordan has Derek Riordan as a priority so I'd like to hear a bit less about how much of a Hibby he is and how we should be doing everything to let him keep playing for us.

He's just another footballer and he'd have to go down as a journeyman soon, no?

al bundy
12-01-2011, 03:38 PM
more chance of seeing nessie on a tram than this happening

moggie
12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
was deek no linked to rangers not long before signing for celtic?

marinello59
12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
was deek no linked to rangers not long before signing for celtic?

Rangers made a bid for him just before the 3-0 cup game.

SlickShoes
12-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I think what I meant is that we keep hearing how all he ever wants to do is play for Hibs and the bad guys at the club make that impossible.

If he were to twice walk away from the club as soon as his contract is down, to each of the Old Firm, i don't think i'd have much sympathy with that view.

Like every footballer, or worker generally, Derek Riordan has Derek Riordan as a priority so I'd like to hear a bit less about how much of a Hibby he is and how we should be doing everything to let him keep playing for us.

Aye i would agree with you fully, just as the people that tout him as the messiah are annoying my post was more in reply to the ones that want to lynch him if he joins rangers saying things like "he wont be welcome anywhere near easter road" etc. Its just over the top rubbish, im sure he is a hibs supporter but like you say he has himself to look after.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Aye i would agree with you fully, just as the people that tout him as the messiah are annoying my post was more in reply to the ones that want to lynch him if he joins rangers saying things like "he wont be welcome anywhere near easter road" etc. Its just over the top rubbish, im sure he is a hibs supporter but like you say he has himself to look after.

Like it or lump it, if Derek was to sign for the huns, a big proportion of the Hibs support would turn against him.

Reaper
12-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Dissappointed as I would be and concerned (Where's Hibs goals coming from) I wouldn't blame him at all. The last time I was angry as Hibs had a chance of doing something with a decent team and players like him broke that team up and left for nothing so Hibs suffered a double whammy.

When he re-signed, I was told that Deeks was advised that his would be the first in a long line of ambitious signings and by securing his signature Hibs would use that as makeweight to encourage more high profile signings. Hibs haven't stuck to that and with his goals he's carried a mediocre team for 2 years. Hibs are to blame if this happens not Deeks. This is the main reason he hasn't entered contract talks (apparently)

If he goes, he'll go with my best wishes and an expectation that he'll jump up and bite Hibs right in the arse.

lucky
12-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Dissappointed as I would be and concerned (Where's Hibs goals coming from) I wouldn't blame him at all. The last time I was angry as Hibs had a chance of doing something with a decent team and players like him broke that team up and left for nothing so Hibs suffered a double whammy.

When he re-signed, I was told that Deeks was advised that his would be the first in a long line of ambitious signings and by securing his signature Hibs would use that as makeweight to encourage more high profile signings. Hibs haven't stuck to that and with his goals he's carried a mediocre team for 2 years. Hibs are to blame if this happens not Deeks. This is the main reason he hasn't entered contract talks (apparently)

If he goes, he'll go with my best wishes and an expectation that he'll jump up and bite Hibs right in the arse.

dont see how his goals have carried the team for 2 years. Stokes scored more than him. If plays like he did no saturday Berwick rangers would not sign him. If he chooses to go to them for nothing its his choice. He will get booed on his return and will always be remembered for leaving hibs twice for very little money. Hero to zero again

joe breezy
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't blame any quality player for wanting away, Riordan or Murray included. Hibs are total pish and don't seem to be going anywhere other than downwards.

Beefster
12-01-2011, 04:32 PM

That's a new excuse for him not extending his contract and one I suspect is nonsense. Let's look at it though.

Sol Bamba (signed the same day AFAIK and an Ivory Coast international)
Liam Miller (Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds, Sunderland, played in Champions League, ROI international)
Anthony Stokes (Arsenal, Sunderland, ROI international)
Edwin De Graaf (Feyenoord, Breda, Holland B)
Mark Brown (Celtic, Rangers, Scotland B)
Graeme Smith (Rangers, Scotland B)
Ian Murray (Rangers, Norwich, Scotland)
Danny Galbraith (Man Utd)
Darryl Duffy (Rangers, Scotland B)

The vast majority played at, at least, the same level as Riordan and Galbraith came direct from Man Utd. The fact that some didn't work out as well as expected is irrelevant to demonstrations of ambition. What ambition was he expecting and what level of player did Riordan think he could attract?

Hibs should be doing more on the team but to suggest that that's the reason for Riordan possibly leaving isn't credible.

Kaiser1962
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Who has begged to stay? They could have done a Kenny Miller and refused to go if they were being moved on against their wishes by the Big Bad Board.

Big Frank
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
One side of the family rabid Hibbys, the other side rabid plastics.

Cannae see it........

lets no' get too down, the yams got pumped out the cup:aok:

Andy74
12-01-2011, 06:01 PM
That's a new excuse for him not extending his contract and one I suspect is nonsense. Let's look at it though.

Liam Miller (Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds, Sunderland, played in Champions League, ROI international)

The vast majority played at, at least, the same level as Riordan and Galbraith came direct from Man Utd. The fact that some didn't work out as well as expected is irrelevant to demonstrations of ambition. What ambition was he expecting and what level of player did Riordan think he could attract?

Hibs should be doing more on the team but to suggest that that's the reason for Riordan possibly leaving isn't credible.

Quite right. We also got Dickoh from Utrecht, a Ghana international.

Riordan has not exactly been standing out as dragging the quality of this team up either so that would be a bit of a cheek! He wasn't alone but he looked more than matched by a second division defence last week.

col02
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Say Rangers take Millers wages and go after Riordan on a Bosman and Goodwillie on a transfer fee. Net result two players for the price of one and guaranteed goals and a possible large transfer fee if Goodwillie fulfills his potential. Given Rangers financial status and the squad being light on numbers I would not rule this rumour out as quickly as some others appear ready to do so.

ancient hibee
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Say Rangers take Millers wages and go after Riordan on a Bosman and Goodwillie on a transfer fee. Net result two players for the price of one and guaranteed goals and a possible large transfer fee if Goodwillie fulfills his potential. Given Rangers financial status and the squad being light on numbers I would not rule this rumour out as quickly as some others appear ready to do so.
Except that Riordan,not being a complete diddy,will want a big signing on fee if there is no transfer fee and Dundee U.will try and screw every penny for Goodwillie who will also want a fee.

delbert
12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Could not blame Derek Riordan one bit for taking another big pay rise and going through to Ibrox. When he signed for Celtc a few years back, it was strongly rumoured that Rangers were also interested, but basically Celtc beat them to it.

If Derek or any of his family or advisers have been reading this messageboard recently, it would be hard to say he is getting 100% support from the 'fans', and that allied to the abuse the whole team is currently taking out on the park at the moment, would'nt make me think twice if I was in his position.

And as for the contention that being hated if he moved there would even enter his mind as a factor to be considered, well thats just laughable, he has a family to consider now, and if he really has matured even a little, then doubling or even trebling his wage will be the deciding factor, and not a lot else, certainly not a few thousand morons chanting that they hate him every second week he plays.

Have Hibs shown any urgency in getting him tied down, of course they have'nt, it's not the Hibs way, what is the Hibs way is waiting till it's too late so that they can get one of our highest earners off the payroll, and then saying it was'nt their fault and that they did all they could. I have posted umpteen times on this subject and I will say it once more, my info has been consistent for weeks, Riordan is on his way out, and we will regret it, what other player at Easter Road right now gets you off your seat, not because he does it every time, but because every time he gets the ball there is just the possibility that he will do it this time around. In the utter dross that manifests itself as the Hibs first team just now, he is the only player that I would actually pay to see, the other inposters only get my dosh because they happen to be wearing a Hibs strip at this time, and I guess thats what being a supporter is all about.

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I dont think this is sh**e at all.

Was told the same thing a couple of months back. The way I heard it was that McCoist was going in for him at the end of the season.

Makes perfect sense for both Riordan and Rangers if you think about it.

Don't know how they can go for a pre-contract though when Smith was complaining about Miller doing the same thing. Double standards no?

degenerated
12-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Could not blame Derek Riordan one bit for taking another big pay rise and going through to Ibrox. When he signed for Celtc a few years back, it was strongly rumoured that Rangers were also interested, but basically Celtc beat them to it.

If Derek or any of his family or advisers have been reading this messageboard recently, it would be hard to say he is getting 100% support from the 'fans', and that allied to the abuse the whole team is currently taking out on the park at the moment, would'nt make me think twice if I was in his position.

And as for the contention that being hated if he moved there would even enter his mind as a factor to be considered, well thats just laughable, he has a family to consider now, and if he really has matured even a little, then doubling or even trebling his wage will be the deciding factor, and not a lot else, certainly not a few thousand morons chanting that they hate him every second week he plays.

Have Hibs shown any urgency in getting him tied down, of course they have'nt, it's not the Hibs way, what is the Hibs way is waiting till it's too late so that they can get one of our highest earners off the payroll, and then saying it was'nt their fault and that they did all they could. I have posted umpteen times on this subject and I will say it once more, my info has been consistent for weeks, Riordan is on his way out, and we will regret it, what other player at Easter Road right now gets you off your seat, not because he does it every time, but because every time he gets the ball there is just the possibility that he will do it this time around. In the utter dross that manifests itself as the Hibs first team just now, he is the only player that I would actually pay to see, the other inposters only get my dosh because they happen to be wearing a Hibs strip at this time, and I guess thats what being a supporter is all about.

why, when it comes to Derek Riordan is it always someone elses fault if he is rumoured to be leaving or as happened in the past actually left. If he does leave the club again then it will be because he wants to not because the club don't want him there. liam miller is also coming to the end of his contract and when he was rumoured to be signing a pre-contract with someone else he was roundly booed rather than the finger of blame being pointed at the board or the fans - why is that?

you are suggesting that it could be the fans fault for him leaving for not giving him the support he deserves, i would suggest that if he isn't getting the 100% support you think he deserves that it probably has something to do with the fact that, like the rest of team, he isn't really performing at the level he could and should be for the club just now. he certainly gets an easier ride than anyone else at the club from the fans, and being our best player i can understand that.

you also suggest that it's down to the club not having offered him a deal yet which is fair comment i suppose but on the other hand the club have told him that they will address that in the summer, if he was really that desperate to stay at the club he can hang fire till then and see what is offered, surely? he is still not going to be short of offers being a free agent even if he can't come to an agreement with hibs.

Ernie Cobra
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
A few months ago, i would have been disgusted with this. I would have wanted to fight tooth and nail to keep

stokes
riordan
miller
bamba
brown

Now quite honestly, i couldnt give a monkeys who stays and who goes. Derek included there isnt one player i think is worthy of pulling on the jersey, or am i just completely pished off with the whole situ???

.Sean.
12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
A few months ago, i would have been disgusted with this. I would have wanted to fight tooth and nail to keep

stokes
riordan
miller
bamba
brown

Now quite honestly, i couldnt give a monkeys who stays and who goes. Derek included there isnt one player i think is worthy of pulling on the jersey, or am i just completely pished off with the whole situ???
Don't be ridiculous.

Last Minute
12-01-2011, 07:25 PM

stokes
riordan
miller
bamba
brown

Spot on mate, never thought I would say it but don't care anymore about any of them. Bunch of Lazy Bassa's the lot of them:devil:

Albion Hibs
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I suppose it is possible maybe more likely people are assuming that rangers get a few hundred grand, need another striker and turn to Hibs a clubs that just sold a player for a few hundred grand.

I also heard that celtic wanted him back, but I think a lot of it is just paper chat, most clubs could probably wait till the end of season for riordan.

Reaper
12-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Ok Cheers

Toaods
12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Don't think Uncle Walter rates him.

Never gave him a sniff when he was Scotland boss, one or two caps maybe. A couple of squads.

Then Uncle Walter is taking his pension at the end of the season so maybe if McCoist is getting the job he'd be more of a McCoist signing.

they told me SG Eriksson doesnae rate Bamba too..:wink:

WeAreHibs
12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Exactly PB, I heard this a few weeks ago, but was loathed to put it on Board, in case of getting pelters for it..... Who knows if it will happen, but the sale of Miller might accentuate it?

Ditto, hopefully it's a lot of "Colin"

EasterRoad4Ever
12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Like it or lump it, if Derek was to sign for the huns, a big proportion of the Hibs support would turn against him.

Sad but very true. Riordan has proved he's a Hibs man time and again - sometimes not in the most intelligent way - but he's done his bit for the club. I hate the huns, but could understand why, if he got a great offer, Riordan would leave Hibs. The club is a mess right now with no clear direction or leadership and we can't continue to look to Riordan to bail us out.

Simply who could blame ANY Hibs player for jumping ship at this point ?

Ernie Cobra
12-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

why would you think that is ridiculous, i was as happy as anyone when he came back, over the moon in fact, but of late there is not one player giving enough. Derek is nor different from any other player, in fact he gets an easier time of it because we all love the lad, however, he like the rest, FOR ME, is not performing well enough, hence why i wouldnt be pushed if he went. Dont get me wrong, on his day he is absolutely outstanding, when was the last time you can say that about him.

In fact can you name me one player that would excite you and encourage you to spend your hard earned turning up week in week out?????

1 PLAYER???? Should be easy enough

moggie
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
If Riordan decides to go to the huns I would have no qualms, good luck son, i applaud you on your exit.

Ernie Cobra
12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
If Riordan decides to go to the huns I would have no qualms, good luck son, i applaud you on your exit.

whats french for cat?

gorgie_harp
12-01-2011, 08:40 PM

stokes
riordan
miller
bamba
brown

Say's it all. Totally agree.:agree:
****ing sick of every thing to do with all the imposters, that wear the jersey,and those who represent us at board level. ****ing sort it out.:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

Greentinted
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Lamentably 'journeyman' is a term synonymous with most footballers these days. Loyalty went out the window when Jean-Marc Bosman went to Brussels in 95 and won.
Whilst I would be disappointed if Riordan goes to 'them' I'm enough of a pragmatist to accept that the Bosman ruling can never be applied to those who matter - us, the supporters!

SloopJB
12-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Uncanny....

Re Surfacing.
It was mentioned on edinburgh derby in December.
It'd be tough to find a reason for him to decide to stay.

new malkyhib
12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
If he does go in this window, I really worry the Board are both running the white flag up, and thumbing their nose at the supporters.

I really hope the uncertainty doesn't drag to the last day of the window and he goes then...mind you that would be par for the course for Petrie - our CH away in the first morning of the window and our top scorer on the last day (again).

This silence from Easter Road is deafening, and it needs punctured with the news of TWO signings IMO.

At the time of writing, it looks like Hamilton's going to get at least a point from this game with Celtic. That HAS to concentrate the minds of Petrie and co.

KeithTheHibby
12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
If Rangers want Derek then he will join then, simples.

He has left us once before for the old firm and will do it again.
Let's not forget that he left a far better Hibs team last time around.

Personally I could not blame him for leaving, a chance to earn some serious money and win trophies, something we can never offer him.

I also think there is some truth in this one...

Sylar
12-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Gers are still pursuing Goodwillie according to the commentary on the Celtc game, so I doubt they would attempt to sign both.

Gerard
12-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Personally I could not blame him for leaving, a chance to earn some serious money and win trophies, something we can never offer him.

Deek is a good player but if he wants to go to another team then that is his decision. Hibs have sold players as good as Deek in the past and are still here today.
Gerard

keep the faith
12-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I actually disagree with the "go to the huns with our best wishes" messages being posted here.

Deeks does tell us time and time again what a Hibs man he is, but he left at the first opportunity the last time. Really dissapointing as we had the best side for a long long time but thats life, I was delighted when he came back.

I really hoped he would sign a new deal here. I am a huge Riordan fan. He has his bad games yes, but he is the only player at the club who can change a game from nowhere. For me thats always worth keeping. Especially when the player is one of our own.

However, It very much looks like he will go now for a few reasons - money/family, poor Hibs team, need for Hibs to free up big wages to bring in lots of players, where he fits in the side etc etc.

What gets me is that he WILL have teams wanting to sign him and pay him big wages. He WILL have options, so why would the great Hibs fan sign for Rangers??? Hibs supporter and former celtic player signing for the huns? Deeks unwillingness to travel is a great yarn, but I have always suspected it was really an urban myth. However, can he really go no further than the M8??? Is he really happy to score more goals in this small pond against the club he loves??

Im a realist and know that money talks and security is important, but I really would be dissapointed if Derek joined Rangers rather than look at other options. If you dont want to stay Deeks, go better yourself, go to England or abroad. You will score goals in any league. Bang them in down south and Harry Potter cant ignore you any more.

Im sorry, but I would have to be really honest and say he would go way down in my estimations should he dart back along the M8.

nortonhibby
12-01-2011, 09:59 PM

I Disagree we should build our new team around Deek

Alfred E Newman
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Deek is a good player but if he wants to go to another team then that is his decision. Hibs have sold players as good as Deek in the past and are still here today.
Gerard

you forgot to add " but in terminal decline."

sahib
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
This would be one of the most surprising transfers for a very long time imho.
I don't think WS rates him, as has been said. He is also a Celtic reject - to be blunt. I doubt their fans would welcome him, but I could be wrong.

erskine-hibby
12-01-2011, 10:44 PM
you forgot to add " but in terminal decline."

:agree:
By selling the likes of such players.

ScottB
12-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Ultimately, if cash is at all a factor, he will go.

That's not a reason to string Petrie up from the nearest tree, nor complain about the club selling its best players. Simply put, we can't pay the £10k plus a week minimum he could get from strolling along the M8 or heading over the Border.

So if he does stay with us, he's doing it for his love for the club. So we have to ask, what is the motivation for him to stay just now? Team's a mess, massive amounts of change ahead in the squad and the atmosphere at the ground is hardly sparkling.

If he goes, I'd be disappointed, but then I can't be angry at him for maximising his earnings for himself and his young family, nor would I be angry at the club for not being able to match such greater wage offers as he could get, that's not a lack of ambition or being tight, it is being realistic.

erskine-hibby
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Ultimately, if cash is at all a factor, he will go.

That's not a reason to string Petrie up from the nearest tree, nor complain about the club selling its best players. Simply put, we can't pay the £10k plus a week minimum he could get from strolling along the M8 or heading over the Border.

So if he does stay with us, he's doing it for his love for the club. So we have to ask, what is the motivation for him to stay just now? Team's a mess, massive amounts of change ahead in the squad and the atmosphere at the ground is hardly sparkling.

If he goes, I'd be disappointed, but then I can't be angry at him for maximising his earnings for himself and his young family, nor would I be angry at the club for not being able to match such greater wage offers as he could get, that's not a lack of ambition or being tight, it is being realistic.

I would be angry at the club for not trying to keep him.
As you say if it is purely for the cash I cannot blame him or the board, but the silence is defening on his re-signing talks (or lack of).

ScottB
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I would be angry at the club for not trying to keep him.
As you say if it is purely for the cash I cannot blame him or the board, but the silence is defening on his re-signing talks (or lack of).

Well, we don't know what is going on in the background do we, but if he gets offered the kind of money he could get elsewhere, there's bugger all the club can do about it unless he decides he just wants to stay here regardless.

bighairyfaeleith
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
If deeks leaves us for rangers then he is a little ****ing ned who deserves to rot in his govan slum.

However, if he stays then he is truly the messiah:greengrin

On a more serious note, playing for rangers would probably help him get into the international squad.

NaeTechnoHibby
12-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Wait for Rangers to tease us again............ up till the deadline :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4663858.stm

erskine-hibby
13-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Well, we don't know what is going on in the background do we, but if he gets offered the kind of money he could get elsewhere, there's bugger all the club can do about it unless he decides he just wants to stay here regardless.

We do know that CC claims that an offer is not forthcoming for him to re-sign. So we do know whats going on ...NOTHING!
That is both shocking and sad.

snooky
13-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Personally, I think the Tache will have earmarked all the higher earners for the heave-ho. This obviously includes Deek.

"Lean and mean" - RP's mantra on players' wages?

Sammy7nil
13-01-2011, 12:15 AM
I actually disagree with the "go to the huns with our best wishes" messages being posted here.

Deeks does tell us time and time again what a Hibs man he is, but he left at the first opportunity the last time. Really dissapointing as we had the best side for a long long time but thats life, I was delighted when he came back.

I really hoped he would sign a new deal here. I am a huge Riordan fan. He has his bad games yes, but he is the only player at the club who can change a game from nowhere. For me thats always worth keeping. Especially when the player is one of our own.

However, It very much looks like he will go now for a few reasons - money/family, poor Hibs team, need for Hibs to free up big wages to bring in lots of players, where he fits in the side etc etc.

What gets me is that he WILL have teams wanting to sign him and pay him big wages. He WILL have options, so why would the great Hibs fan sign for Rangers??? Hibs supporter and former celtic player signing for the huns? Deeks unwillingness to travel is a great yarn, but I have always suspected it was really an urban myth. However, can he really go no further than the M8??? Is he really happy to score more goals in this small pond against the club he loves??

Im a realist and know that money talks and security is important, but I really would be dissapointed if Derek joined Rangers rather than look at other options. If you dont want to stay Deeks, go better yourself, go to England or abroad. You will score goals in any league. Bang them in down south and Harry Potter cant ignore you any more.

Im sorry, but I would have to be really honest and say he would go way down in my estimations should he dart back along the M8.

:top marks:top marks:top marks
totally agree

ScottB
13-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Wait for Rangers to tease us again............ up till the deadline :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4663858.stm

I want black strips again :D

silverhibee
13-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Are you sure the bit in bold is right, if i remember correctly he turned down moves to Russia and Cardiff City so he hardly moved at the first opportunity.

Jim44
13-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Gerard

............ but it's the state we're in today that's more to the point.

Jim44
13-01-2011, 11:30 AM
"Im a realist and know that money talks and security is important, but I really would be dissapointed if Derek joined Rangers rather than look at other options. If you dont want to stay Deeks, go better yourself, go to England or abroad. You will score goals in any league. Bang them in down south and Harry Potter cant ignore you any more."

There's scant evidence of English clubs clambering to get hold of him. In the SPL, Riordan is not so much a big fish in a small pond as an 'interesting fish' in a small, talentless pond. With Calderwood (probably miming Petrie's words) more or less saying that Hibs would just sit back and see what happens, I think there's a huge likelihood that Riordan will end up at Ibrox, either alongside Goodwillie or instead of him. This time round, no-one could take umbrage at the circumstances of his leaving us.

Beefster
13-01-2011, 11:48 AM
There's scant evidence of English clubs clambering to get hold of him. In the SPL, Riordan is not so much a big fish in a small pond as an 'interesting fish' in a small, talentless pond. With Calderwood (probably miming Petrie's words) more or less saying that Hibs would just sit back and see what happens, I think there's a huge likelihood that Riordan will end up at Ibrox, either alongside Goodwillie or instead of him. This time round, no-one could take umbrage at the circumstances of his leaving us.

Why's that? Did he desperately try to open contract talks with Hibs, only to be repeatedly knocked back?

If he was to go to Ibrox, you'd expect him to leave us for Celtic and then leave us for Rangers and to be given a "Cheerio then, good luck" when all we hear about is how big a Hibee he is and how much he loves the club (which includes us, the supporters too btw)?

He's entitled to go where he wants and earn what he can but I'm not buying this "it's not his fault" line again, if he goes.

I never thought I'd have a reason to quote Dubya but 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. It fool me. We can't get fooled again.'.

Jim44
13-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Why's that? Did he desperately try to open contract talks with Hibs, only to be repeatedly knocked back?
If he was to go to Ibrox, you'd expect him to leave us for Celtic and then leave us for Rangers and to be given a "Cheerio then, good luck" when all we hear about is how big a Hibee he is and how much he loves the club (which includes us, the supporters too btw)?

He's entitled to go where he wants and earn what he can but I'm not buying this "it's not his fault" line again, if he goes.

I never thought I'd have a reason to quote Dubya but 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. It fool me. We can't get fooled again.'.

:confused: The onus isn't on Riordan to " desperately try to open contract talks with Hibs." As the employer, surely it's up to Petrie to initiate any dialogue between the two parties. You might be privvy to more information than me but from where I stand I see it as a case of Hibs taking a puzzling passive role instead of forcing the issue. If Hibs stand idly by and watch him go to Rangers, how can Riordan be 'blamed'?

Beefster
13-01-2011, 12:11 PM
:confused: The onus isn't on Riordan to " desperately try to open contract talks with Hibs." As the employer, surely it's up to Petrie to initiate any dialogue between the two parties. You might be privvy to more information than me but from where I stand I see it as a case of Hibs taking a puzzling passive role instead of forcing the issue. If Hibs stand idly by and watch him go to Rangers, how can Riordan be 'blamed'?

It's a two-way street. It's only entirely Hibs' responsibility if you're trying to absolve Riordan of any responsibility.

smurf
13-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Quite incredible stuff....

The suggestion that the onus is on the player is bonkers.

The truth as stated by Colin Calderwood is that we do not wish to consider any new deal until his current one expires....

Leithenhibby
13-01-2011, 12:22 PM

:agree: Spot on, and I would feel that most Hibbies would agree with this post..

Hopefully he will remain at the club and we can get over this lean spell :cool2:

Sammy7nil
13-01-2011, 12:24 PM

The truth as stated by Colin Calderwood is that we do not wish to consider any new deal until his current one expires....

:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Ho Ho HO

Jim44
13-01-2011, 12:25 PM
It's a two-way street. It's only entirely Hibs' responsibility if you're trying to absolve Riordan of any responsibility.

Maybe it is a two way street but, for me, the employer has 'right of way'. I'm not trying absolve Riordan of any responsibility. I simply see it as a case of an employer not exercising it's rights or desire to open negotiations with an employee. If that employee then moves on, albeit to an unpopular opponent of the employer, then that's life.

smurf
13-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Everyone wants to feel wanted. Is the employer of Derek Riordan making him feel so?

marinello59
13-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Or you could say the club knows he will be offered more than we can afford and the player is obviously aware of that fact and will consider his options. And so he should, it's his career.
The player and the club will know have a pretty good idea what the other sides best offer is. If they are not in the same ball park then a formal offer merely to appease the fans will not be of benefit to either party will it?

el capitano
13-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Everyone wants to feel wanted. Is the employer of Derek Riordan making him feel so?

id be surprised if anyone at hibs felt wanted by the board and with the exception of derek the rest certainly wont feel wanted by the fans.

Peevemor
13-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Is it possible that Deek and his agent have made it clear they won't speak to Hibs until they see what other offers come in? If so, I don't see how either party could be criticised.

My boss is a great guy who's been very, very good to me, but if someone else offered to triple my wages I'd be offski. If that makes me a bad guy then tough.

In any case, I find it ridiculous that people are knocking both Deek and the board whilst having no knowledge whatsoever of what (if any) dialogue has taken place.

Captain Trips
13-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Most things now are at a real low. Deek going will just not do the team or the club any favours. He is seen by I would say most of the support as our best player yes we sold good players before but we still had very good ones left after each sale.

We now are almost at end of road with quality and Deeks going leaves no real person to step up. Yes we may sign a gem but until he plays he cant be judged so there could be a long summer of uncertanty imo I dont think Hibs can afford that.

Trim the sqaud use that money for less players but hopefully better quality.

smurf
13-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Or you could say the club knows he will be offered more than we can afford and the player is obviously aware of that fact and will consider his options. And so he should, it's his career.
The player and the club will know have a pretty good idea what the other sides best offer is. If they are not in the same ball park then a formal offer merely to appease the fans will not be of benefit to either party will it?

But you make an attempt.

Has the club contemplated offering him an old fashioned testimonial as part of any deal?

He is a living legend of the club still playing for us. Let's do everything we can to persuade him to stay.

To stay at a club that's HIS club. In HIS city. Ok we can't offer you the money you can get elsewhere but WE WANT you at this club. And as such we are offering the best financial package we can.

At least try. Make the guy feel wanted.

down-the-slope
13-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Lamentably 'journeyman' is a term synonymous with most footballers these days. Loyalty went out the window when Jean-Marc Bosman went to Brussels in 95 and won.
Whilst I would be disappointed if Riordan goes to 'them' I'm enough of a pragmatist to accept that the Bosman ruling can never be applied to those who matter - us, the supporters!

Shame really...there are a few on here who I would love to run down their 'contract' and move on...:faf::faf:

marinello59
13-01-2011, 12:56 PM
But you make an attempt.

Has the club contemplated offering him an old fashioned testimonial as part of any deal?

He is a living legend of the club still playing for us. Let's do everything we can to persuade him to stay.

To stay at a club that's HIS club. In HIS city. Ok we can't offer you the money you can get elsewhere but WE WANT you at this club. And as such we are offering the best financial package we can.

At least try. Make the guy feel wanted.

Would the difference in potential earnings between what he could get over a few years, say in the Championship, and the best we can afford at Hibs really be may up by a one-off testimonial game?

smurf
13-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Would the difference in potential earnings between what he could get over a few years, say in the Championship, and the best we can afford at Hibs really be may up by a one-off testimonial game?

No but is it all about money?

If it was then in early 2006 he would have gone to Cardiff when our board shamelessly announced they had sold him on the official site....

And if it was all about money he wouldn't have come here in Aug 2008.

So why not attempt by making him an offer?

bawheid
13-01-2011, 01:05 PM
If it was then in early 2006 he would have gone to Cardiff when our board shamelessly announced they had sold him on the official site....

Did they? :confused:

Andy74
13-01-2011, 01:10 PM

They said they had accepted an offer. It was slightly unusual but I think was in response to the way Riordan and his agent were acting.

I think it was justified in that it turned out Derek had no intention of doing anything other than walking away to Celtic and the Board was able to demonstrate to the punters that there were other options.

smurf
13-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Yes but being entirely accurate that they had accepted the bid.

Strange as we had never and have never again done such a thing....

steakbake
13-01-2011, 01:11 PM
They said they had accepted an offer. It was slightly unusual but I think was in response to the way Riordan and his agent were acting.

I think it was justified in that it turned out Derek had no intention of doing anything other than walking away to Celtic and the Board was able to demonstrate to the punters that there were other options.

...often forgotten. But forgiven. :wink:

smurf
13-01-2011, 01:13 PM

So its your opinion that as early as Jan 2006 Derek had agreed a move to Celtc?

marinello59
13-01-2011, 01:13 PM
No but is it all about money?

And if it was all about money he wouldn't have come here in Aug 2008.

So why not attempt by making him an offer?

I feel it would be naive to believe that both player and club are unaware of either sides best offer. An offer to appease some of the fans would be senseless and of no benefit to the player. Wouldn't it just generate 'Riordan rejects Hibs best offer' headlines?.
If it isn't just about the money then wouldn't the players agent have let the club know that by now so that they could work on something?

smurf
13-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I feel it would be naive to believe that both player and club are unaware of either sides best offer. An offer to appease some of the fans would be senseless and of no benefit to the player. Wouldn't it just generate 'Riordan rejects Hibs best offer' headlines?.
If it isn't just about the money then wouldn't the players agent have let the club know that by now so that they could work on something?

But they could make an offer without telling us?

I mean our club does have a policy does it not of 'when we have something to say we will say it...'.

bawheid
13-01-2011, 01:21 PM
So its your opinion that as early as Jan 2006 Derek had agreed a move to Celtc?

Perhaps not, but he had no intention of staying. Much like this time around.

smurf
13-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Perhaps not, but he had no intention of staying. Much like this time around.

And does our club have any intention of retaining him?

bawheid
13-01-2011, 01:28 PM

:faf:

Smurf, I've pretty much given up commenting on your daily and often ridiculous attacks on the Hibs board. They're not perfect, but the way you go on you'd think they'd burnt down your house.

Derek Riordan can earn far more away from Easter Road. It's his right to do that. Best of luck to him. No one is going to fall for the "it's all Hibs fault" line this time though.

On another thread you have Andy Webster as one of your signing "targets". Really? Now come on! Again, Webster can command far more in earnings than we can afford.

mjhibby
13-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Smurf, I've pretty much given up commenting on your daily and often ridiculous attacks on the Hibs board. They're not perfect, but the way you go on you'd think they'd burnt down your house.

Derek Riordan can earn far more away from Easter Road. It's his right to do that. Best of luck to him. No one is going to fall for the "it's all Hibs fault" line this time though.

On another thread you have Andy Webster as one of your signing "targets". Really? Now come on! Again, Webster can command far more in earnings than we can afford.

There are many opinions on our boards performance and the appointment of the managers by them but what can be said with certainty is that the next 18 days of the transfer window could be the most important days hibs have had for years.We have a very difficult fixture list coming up(celtic at home, ayr away, well away, rangers at home and utd away) and what is certain is that unless things pick up we will be in a relegation dogfight and with no decent additions to the squad not many fans would be confident of us pulling away from the bottom.Its past playing the blame game and we need to get results and then look forward to next season as its highly unlikely we will be top 6 by the split.
What the board do need to explain is how calderwood has been left this mess of 16 players out of contract(15 with grounds back to boro)selling our 1st choice central defender and our main striker right at the end of the last transfer window.Imho the sale of stokes has had a massive impact on the team as he was getting goals for us just when we needed them and without his goals our frailties have been exposed and confidence dipped.Most of the game is about confidence as pa broon has shown and right now we are in a downer which needs to stop soon or it could get messy for all concerned.Its still in our hands to sort it so lets wait and see what transfers transpire and if that does the trick.

Beefster
13-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Who said the onus was on the player? I said the onus is on both.

Where did Calderwood say that? I was under the impression that he said that Hibs would try and match any offer made from another club?

He's one of the highest paid players at ER, if not the highest, and a certain starter. What more does he want? A hug and a wee 'Forever Friends' card telling him how much Hibs love him?

He wasn't wanted by Rodders and Mowbray, he wasn't wanted by Strachan, he wasn't wanted by Hughes, he's not wanted by Calderwood and Rodders. We're really supposed to believe that he is rejected unfairly by all his managers and is never to blame?

Yes. They appear to have offered to try and match any offer from elsewhere. Do you think that they've done that for Hogg, Rankin, McBride, Nish etc etc?

marinello59
13-01-2011, 02:22 PM
But they could make an offer without telling us?

I mean our club does have a policy does it not of 'when we have something to say we will say it...'.

Maybe they have. Or maybe they haven't. We can only speculate.

Anyway, surely club policy applies in every case except the ones it doesn't. :greengrin

joe breezy
13-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Can't comment on Smurf's other posts but 'does the club have any intention of retaining Derek Riordan?' feels like a sensible question to me.

Going by what we normally do when a nominal sum is forthcoming I guess not.

silverhibee
13-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Who is saying it this time round.

Peevemor
13-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Can't comment on Smurf's other posts but 'does the club have any intention of retaining Derek Riordan?' feels like a sensible question to me.

:rolleyes:

bawheid
13-01-2011, 02:48 PM

The propaganda campaign started months ago in preparation, and is continuing on this very thread.

I think the majority of Hibs fans will see past it this time, and see a player who can make more money elsewhere, exercising that right. There doesn't need to be a blame game IMO.

bawheid
13-01-2011, 02:48 PM

What do we normally do when a nominal sum is forthcoming?

BSEJVT
13-01-2011, 02:49 PM

No-one as far as I can see

There are however supporters who refuse to accept the potential reality that its no-one's fault and that Derek has the right to earn whatever he can and if Hibs cant match it then its not their fault either.

You would think that the fact that Motherwll were this week outbid by a non league team for a player they were after would make people think that SPL clubs simply cant pay what is available elsewhere and we can all move on, if indeed we do, and part on decent terms.

Not in this Hibs support.

There are so many folk in here who need to understand that you can only pish with the c*ck you have rather than the one you wished you had.