PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Hibs pay for the supporter buses to Ayr?

Boris
12-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I think its a very generous move for Rod to offer to pick up the bill for Supporters' buses to Ayr next Tuesday out of the unexpected £60k from Sky & by way of apology for the totally inept performance on Saturday at Easter Road.......................:wink:

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I think its a very generous move for Rod to offer to pick up the bill for Supporters' buses to Ayr next Tuesday out of the unexpected £60k from Sky & by way of apology for the totally inept performance on Saturday at Easter Road.......................:wink:

Is this correct?...if so I aint driving the 180 miles...so what bus options are there?

Lmc2105
12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
where did you hear this boris? .....

i haven't heard anything from hibs about this

Lmc2105
12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Is this correct?...if so I aint driving the 180 miles...so what bus options are there?

Buses are on the travel forum matey

M11BMO
12-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Judging by the *wink* I think it's a sarcastic suggestion. A very good suggestion at that.

haagsehibby
12-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Whoosh !!!

Disc O'Dave
12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Judging by the *wink* I think it's a sarcastic suggestion. A very good suggestion at that.

So just before this turns into the inevitable board bashing ...would we rather the Sky money went towards a better player, or some free buses to Ayr? :wink:

Ritchie
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
So just before this turns into the inevitable board bashing ...would we rather the Sky money went towards a better player, or some free buses to Ayr? :wink:

a bus load of players please.

down-the-slope
12-01-2011, 12:09 PM

I took the wink to be related to saying it was because on inept performance

In this case not sure its an either / or .... it could be seen as investing in another home match within a draw thats opening up...we could really do with the cash and confidence boost a cup run would provide

Boris
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Wasn't aiming to set up a board-bashing thread - just being a bit mischievous during my dinner break albeit I was interested in what the reaction would be, but I do actually feel it would be great publicity if the club did make some sort of gesture to fans out of the £60k windfall. After all, we don't need the money, we're in a wonderful financial state......

Can't see us taking more than a few hundred fans through there taking account of various circumstances & the obvious way to me to do something would be to pick up the bill for the buses that are going & go every week. A bit of respite for the hard-working folk that run the buses that still go like Carlton, Leith, Livi, Southern, Central & East Lothian (apologies if I've missed any out). I know some buses run jointly with others for some games & it wouldn't take that big a chunk out the £60k that would be repaid several times over in good publicity. I know it doesn't help out everybody that will be going - ie. those going by car - but as a practical gesture I just think its got merit.

Don't hold your breath though!

Toaods
12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
why not go the whole Hogg(:wink: ) and just get the club to book the Travelodge out and have a stay-over...:cool2:

Lucius Apuleius
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
why not go the whole Hogg(:wink: ) and just get the club to book the Travelodge out and have a stay-over...:cool2:

That is typical Rod thinking!!!! What is wrong with The Western House at the racecourse?????

linlithgowhibbie
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Well us out here in Linlithgow and Bo'ness would appreciate a gesture like that. We pay £130 per week just to hire a bus for Easter Road. :agree:

RIP
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Jim - is this the Eastern Scottish buses that leave from St Andrew Square? I used to travel on those before your branch started pick ups at the foot of the Drum Brae

Signed
The Clerrie Elvis Family :greengrin

Come to think of it would the outlay on buses not be recouped by the additional gate money?

HibbyKeith
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Would rather we spent the Stokes and Bamba money on a better player first rather than the 60k from sky :wink: :greengrin

Disc O'Dave
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Would rather we spent the Stokes and Bamba money on a better player first rather than the 60k from sky :wink: :greengrin

That's already gone on moustache wax....:wink:

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Well us out here in Linlithgow and Bo'ness would appreciate a gesture like that. We pay £130 per week just to hire a bus for Easter Road. :agree:

Hibs should be paying you to travel in for these performances B :wink:

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Its a very good idea but i cant see it happening as Hibs have never really looked after the hardcore away following in regards to a loyalty points system or anything like that. if they did do this for the fans going to Ayr then the board might get more respect and fans back on thier side a bit more. GG :thumbsup:

Peevemor
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Its a very good idea but i cant see it happening as Hibs have never really looked after the hardcore away following in regards to a loyalty points system or anything like that. if they did do this for the fans going to Ayr then the board might get more respect and fans back on thier side a bit more. GG :thumbsup:

I remember once Hibs laid on buses to take the fans to a relegation crunch match at Dumbarton. IIRC there were 30+ Eastern Scottish double deckers and it worked - the atmosphere was superb and Hibs won 2-0(?), though they absolutely walked the match.

HFC07
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I also think it wou be a good idea from the club. It would be good for hibs to take a reasonable support

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I remember once Hibs laid on buses to take the fans to a relegation crunch match at Dumbarton. IIRC there were 30+ Eastern Scottish double deckers and it worked - the atmosphere was superb and Hibs won 2-0(?), though they absolutely walked the match.

Must have been before my time :wink:. Ive heard of clubs down south doing this for fans who use supporter buses for midweek cup games. Did Barnsley not do this fairly recently after thier away game was called off or abandoned and they paid for the buses for the rearranged game? Slightly different senario but still a good gesture by the club.

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I also think it wou be a good idea from the club. It would be good for hibs to take a reasonable support

It would surely give the team confidence when they run out the tunnel and see a huge away followng. It must give them a lift. Plus with the game being on Sky and still to have a good away support would be great.

Peevemor
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Must have been before my time :wink:. Ive heard of clubs down south doing this for fans who use supporter buses for midweek cup games. Did Barnsley not do this fairly recently after thier away game was called off or abandoned and they paid for the buses for the rearranged game? Slightly different senario but still a good gesture by the club.

Season 84/85

http://ihibs.co.uk/game.php?gameid=3859

The crowd was 5000+, which would have been more than double Dumbarton's normal attendance at the time.

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Season 84/85

The crowd was 5000+, which would have been more than double Dumbarton's normal attendance at the time.

Yip i was right before my time. I wasnt brough into the world until Sep 84. :greengrin

jgl07
12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Aberdeen did that for a relegation crunch match at Partick. Apparently they took twice as many people down as actually went to the match.

The shops in central Glasgow did well out of it!

HibbyKeith
12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Wasn't aiming to set up a board-bashing thread - just being a bit mischievous during my dinner break albeit I was interested in what the reaction would be, but I do actually feel it would be great publicity if the club did make some sort of gesture to fans out of the £60k windfall. After all, we don't need the money, we're in a wonderful financial state......

Can't see us taking more than a few hundred fans through there taking account of various circumstances & the obvious way to me to do something would be to pick up the bill for the buses that are going & go every week. A bit of respite for the hard-working folk that run the buses that still go like Carlton, Leith, Livi, Southern, Central & East Lothian (apologies if I've missed any out). I know some buses run jointly with others for some games & it wouldn't take that big a chunk out the £60k that would be repaid several times over in good publicity. I know it doesn't help out everybody that will be going - ie. those going by car - but as a practical gesture I just think its got merit.

Don't hold your breath though!

Agree entirely, I very much doubt it will happen but would be a great gesture.

What is the going rate for a bus to Ayr? £500 per bus? hardly a huge chunk of money for the amount of busses that will travel.

We would never have been in a position to receive said cash if our players had actually done their job properly in the first place, so about time they gave a little to the loyal support that continue to travel the country to watch the mighty (or not so at the moment) hibees.

Peevemor
12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Yip i was right before my time. I wasnt brough into the world until Sep 84. :greengrin

I was going to post that, looking at the team, it's surprising we were troubled by relegation, but looking at the final league table, there aren't many crappy teams in front of us.

http://ihibs.co.uk/comphist_tables.php?from=110&update=Update

That's the danger of a 10 team league with 2 being relegated.

I like Morton's stats though. 12 points and a goal difference of -71. :aok:

.Sean.
12-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Petrie wouldn't even consider putting on free buses. That would cost the club money. As if he's fussed about fans paying travel costs.

Hermit Crab
12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I was going to post that, looking at the team, it's surprising we were troubled by relegation, but looking at the final league table, there aren't many crappy teams in front of us.

http://ihibs.co.uk/comphist_tables.php?from=110&update=Update

That's the danger of a 10 team league with 2 being relegated.

I like Morton's stats though. 12 points and a goal difference of -71. :aok:

Aslong we dont go the same way im happy :wink:

Disc O'Dave
12-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Agree entirely, I very much doubt it will happen but would be a great gesture.

What is the going rate for a bus to Ayr? £500 per bus? hardly a huge chunk of money for the amount of busses that will travel.

We would never have been in a position to receive said cash if our players had actually done their job properly in the first place, so about time they gave a little to the loyal support that continue to travel the country to watch the mighty (or not so at the moment) hibees.

Alternatively, if the argument that more supporters = better chance of winning, surely if the supporters had "done their job properly" and turned up in more numbers for the home leg, we wouldn't be needing the replay :devil:

And I speak as someone who didn't bother going on Saturday :wink:

moggie
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Rods probably looked at the capacity of the away stand and decided against it :cool2:

Albion Hibs
12-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Maybe the club will pay for his ticket as well!

First time I have thought about the club paying us to be supporters.

My vote is if you want to go, pay. Sky money into the players budget please Rod.

HibbyKeith
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Alternatively, if the argument that more supporters = better chance of winning, surely if the supporters had "done their job properly" and turned up in more numbers for the home leg, we wouldn't be needing the replay :devil:

And I speak as someone who didn't bother going on Saturday :wink:

Or... Alternatively, if the argument that we've been pish for a full 12 months = anyone who attends any game home and/or away deserves a medal, Supporters have been "doing their job properly" during said 12 month period, and if only the players were to follow our lead then indeed we wouldn't be needing the replay :devil: :greengrin

GreenCastle
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM
A bonus 60,000 from Sky

Half the gate receipts from Ayr and Easter Road - (away end at Ayr could be full with Hibs fans if they put free buses on = more money to Hibs)

Surely the cost of buses for Rod couldn't be that bad considering Ayr will be giving Hibs around 1,500 tickets or more ?

You could say with a home leg in the next round = possible bigger crowd = winning that means a trip to the 1/4 finals (one game away from Hampden) - it's worth a shout.

Would be a great gesture to the hardcore who have continued to support through the tough times over the last 12 months. :agree:

Removed
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM

:agree: remember that day. Convoy was magic and great atmosphere on the bus

Disc O'Dave
12-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Or... Alternatively, if the argument that we've been pish for a full 12 months = anyone who attends any game home and/or away deserves a medal, Supporters have been "doing their job properly" during said 12 month period, and if only the players were to follow our lead then indeed we wouldn't be needing the replay :devil: :greengrin

Indeed, but one might suggest that by definition a supporters job is to support, and I'm not sure shouting "player x can gtf" on a rotational basis from a pool of 3 or 4 regulars, then providing a good old boo at the end, ironically cheering substitutions, and laughing at man of the match announcements would fit in with the standard Oxford definition of supporting. :devil:

Just saying, likesay :wink:

Newhaven
12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Asked this question to the board years ago. IIRC it's when we played at Pittodrie against the Sheep (Drew 2-2 and won the replay 4-1 in a rare good performance from Benji when he could be bothered)

Bottom line is that no buses would be put on, who would take ownership for them, what if they got trashed, how would tickets be allocated etc. were the issues.

If fans want to go they will go regardless of buses being put on. The same applies to ESPN and SKY away games - the club would rather you went behind the goals and gave the club your money in drink at the bar than support the team in an away game as we (the club) get no cash from you going to these games.

Anyone who's been to an AGM will agree with me.

IberianHibernian
12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I suggested subsidised travel for Ayr game here not long after full time on Saturday . Financial help for supporters clubs ( and not just Edinburgh - based ones ) and offering buses for other fans . Doesn`t have to be free - a fiver return , half for kids . We`re getting a share of gate receipts so it`s also an investment . Lack of interest from club in this is just one example of apathy from within club - how many times have folk suggested trying to get more immigrants , students , tourists , overseas fans etc to ER without hearing any reaction from club ? A genuine question - is there actually someone at ER whose job involves promoting the club as a football club ie to get more people at the matches not just negociating sponsorship deals ?

monktonharp
12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Petrie wouldn't even consider putting on free buses. That would cost the club money. As if he's fussed about fans paying travel costs.:agree:

monktonharp
12-01-2011, 10:45 PM
:agree:
I suggested subsidised travel for Ayr game here not long after full time on Saturday . Financial help for supporters clubs ( and not just Edinburgh - based ones ) and offering buses for other fans . Doesn`t have to be free - a fiver return , half for kids . We`re getting a share of gate receipts so it`s also an investment . Lack of interest from club in this is just one example of apathy from within club - how many times have folk suggested trying to get more immigrants , students , tourists , overseas fans etc to ER without hearing any reaction from club ? A genuine question - is there actually someone at ER whose job involves promoting the club as a football club ie to get more people at the matches not just negociating sponsorship deals ?totally agree with this post,think small,stay small,thats HFC

Removed
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Lack of interest from club in this is just one example of apathy from within club - how many times have folk suggested trying to get more immigrants , students , tourists , overseas fans etc to ER without hearing any reaction from club ? A genuine question - is there actually someone at ER whose job involves promoting the club as a football club ie to get more people at the matches not just negociating sponsorship deals ?

Building the Hibernian supporter base is one of the topics to be covered at the latest fans forum. Let's hope it gets rescheduled soon.

You got your name down and willing to contribute? You too Monkton :thumbsup:

Edit: forgot there is only one now. Lack of interest from fans. Who mentioned apathy?

Lmc2105
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Would love for hibs to do this for us!! bit its as likely as us taking at least 5 buses to ayr never going to happen!

we have had to do a joint bus with 3 buses that usually to keep the cost down!

surely would be nice for hibs to help out at least once!

Sammy7nil
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Will behind the goals be open ?

Cropley10
13-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Asked this question to the board years ago. IIRC it's when we played at Pittodrie against the Sheep (Drew 2-2 and won the replay 4-1 in a rare good performance from Benji when he could be bothered)

Bottom line is that no buses would be put on, who would take ownership for them, what if they got trashed, how would tickets be allocated etc. were the issues.

If fans want to go they will go regardless of buses being put on. The same applies to ESPN and SKY away games - the club would rather you went behind the goals and gave the club your money in drink at the bar than support the team in an away game as we (the club) get no cash from you going to these games.

Indeed they do not. HOWEVER the team that wins this fixture has a home tie to look forward to. What is a home tie worth? What do buses cost?

:agree:totally agree with this post,think small,stay small,thats HFC

Careful now. You'll be accused of being anti-Board and anti-Hibs with a comment like that:rolleyes:

Peevemor
13-01-2011, 11:39 AM
:agree: remember that day. Convoy was magic and great atmosphere on the bus

I think I seen you. Were you the boy wearing a green and white scarf?

Jack
13-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Indeed they do not. HOWEVER the team that wins this fixture has a home tie to look forward to. What is a home tie worth? What do buses cost?

Its a cup tie. Do we not get half(ish) the gate, even from the replay?

Half the gate from ER
Half the gate from Ayr
£60K TV swag.

That would be enough, in total, for a bus each for those who are going :agree:

Hibs should really put on a fleet of busses, co-ordinated through the usual bus organisers. There’s your ownership in the hands of the experts.

GreenCastle
13-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Another thing wrong with Scottish Football - who cares about fans seeing their team live and in the flesh...as long as we make money somehow and it stays with us.

I was under the impression Scottish Cup ties the money is split 50 / 50 ?

Half the reason the small teams always want to draw Rangers or Celtic at Ibrox / Celtic Park

smurf
13-01-2011, 11:56 AM
The board are a disgrace. Free travel? They should be booking Butlins and providing us with free accommodation for the night.

Though seriously the 60K should go in the pot to get rid of our current imposters and get CC's targets in.

trev the hat
13-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Season 84/85

That brings back memories, :greengrin i remember walking over the playing fields to the ground. Sunny day IIRC, loads of folk kippin in at the back of the main stand.:wink:
One of my clearest recolections of that time.
Good shout :top marks

E.T. is a Hibee
13-01-2011, 07:48 PM
:agree:totally agree with this post,think small,stay small,thats HFC

Hit the nail bang on the head!

degenerated
13-01-2011, 07:52 PM

IIRC Brian Rice scored a peach of a goal in that game

Newhaven
14-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Another thing wrong with Scottish Football - who cares about fans seeing their team live and in the flesh...as long as we make money somehow and it stays with us.

I was under the impression Scottish Cup ties the money is split 50 / 50 ?

Half the reason the small teams always want to draw Rangers or Celtic at Ibrox / Celtic Park

:agree:

Hibs aren't really interested if 5 or 50,000 go to the game as were already 60k up.

Sad.

marinello59
14-01-2011, 06:59 AM
So how many thousands of Hibs fans are only giving the replay a miss just because they have to pay their own bus fare and make their own travel arrangements all the way to darkest Ayrshire? :confused:

Lucius Apuleius
14-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Which bus would come through Denny to pick up the Denny/Dunipace/Dennyloanhead/Bonnybridge Hibees?

Jack
14-01-2011, 08:38 AM
So how many thousands of Hibs fans are only giving the replay a miss just because they have to pay their own bus fare and make their own travel arrangements all the way to darkest Ayrshire? :confused:

How many more would go if it was a free bus? :greengrin

marinello59
14-01-2011, 08:42 AM
How many more would go if it was a free bus? :greengrin

I would guess, not many.
Anyway, our demands so far.
Deeks to be paid what it takes to keep him.
The transfer budget and players wages to be increased substantially.
Ticket prices to be reduced.
Free travel to mid-week games.
How about free pies?:greengrin

RIP
14-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Don't the Hibs Supporters Association have regular meetings with the Club?

Other supporters associations have strong links, others are actually promoted via their football clubs website

Shirley that's the forum to discuss such ideas - no?

Joe Baker II
14-01-2011, 10:26 AM

I do not doubt you are right but seems attitudes in Board room have regressed since 1985 Dumbarton game - pretty sad if clubs attitude is they assume buses would be trashed (assume they will be alcohol free) now and they cannot be bothered to sort out ticketing, certainly does not encourage one to think I will start buying a season ticket again.

And if money is clubs line, should they not provide free travel for away supporters to come to ER as they would keep gate receipts, if they are not willing to do that rather ruins the argument they seem to have put up at AGM. Plus, sad if this was crucial factor for Board, but Hibs get around 40% of the gate receipts for Ayr game.

I have written to club in the past saying that advertising opening the club bar while doing nothing to help those going to the game (which are often at inconvenient times to boot) has actually deters me from drinking there.

A bit of nostalgia - Dumbarton bus was great in 1984/85 and there was no trouble!

And the earlier game at Boghead attracted only 2,000 (I was one of only 2-300 Hibs fans I think and got into ground to see Alan Rough picking ball out of net then ten minutes later realised it was the second goal and were 2 down!). So the cost of buses actually brought more money into Scottish football). Think club also organised (not free but subsidised - and very slow I recall!) buses for 2000 semi final at Hampden and for a cup game at Pittodrie in the 1990s without major incidents.

Joe Baker II
14-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Even it is only 2-300 who go who would not otherwise have gone, gesture would still be appreciated and be worthwhile.

As NJ Hibee says sums up much that is wrong with Scottish Football (albeit there are Directors of other clubs on this issue with somewhat more vision than Petrie) that some clubs are often more concerned about making money in the short-term rather than caring about fans seeing their team live.

Lucius Apuleius
14-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Just a random thought. Remember playing Clydebank at Boghead. Was on the Alloa bus in these days. We had tickets numbered 1 to 13. Never seen that before or since.:greengrin

marinello59
14-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Even it is only 2-300 who go who would not otherwise have gone, gesture would still be appreciated and be worthwhile.

As NJ Hibee says sums up much that is wrong with Scottish Football (albeit there are Directors of other clubs on this issue with somewhat more vision than Petrie) that some clubs are often more concerned about making money in the short-term rather than caring about fans seeing their team live.

I am sure it would be by those getting something for nowt. If the ONLY thing stopping 200 - 300 fans going is having to pay their own bus fare I would be surprised. Free buses or more to spend on the playing side of things which is where the most pressing problems are to be found? I don't see that as an overly tough choice.