PDA

View Full Version : New UEFA restrictions - adopt Arsenal Financial Model

jonty
12-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Some may say this is what the board have been doing at the expense of the squad.
Now that UEFA say it must be done (ok - it's not likely we'll be in the champions league much) will it become 'standard'?

From the 2011-12 season, clubs must break-even over a rolling three-year period or risk a possible ban from Uefa European competitions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9358589.stm

What impact will this have on Scottish Football?
How many clubs in the SPL would be eligible under those rules if applied to the last 3 seasons?

(and can we keep the topic on track without too much reference to that lot across the road :greengrin)

Hibbyradge
12-01-2011, 08:36 AM
"Ten years ago Arsenal reported less income than Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle," Infantino added. "Now it is more than those clubs and in 2009 more than double Newcastle's.
"This shows what is possible with good management and careful investment."

GloryGlory
12-01-2011, 08:38 AM
"Ten years ago Arsenal reported less income than Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle," Infantino added. "Now it is more than those clubs and in 2009 more than double Newcastle's.
"This shows what is possible with good management and careful investment."

Was the move to the greater capacity Emirates Stadium not one of the reasons for the increase in turnover? Just to make sure that comparisons are as far as possible like-for-like.

WindyMiller
12-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Was the move to the greater capacity Emirates Stadium not one of the reasons for the increase in turnover? Just to make sure that comparisons are as far as possible like-for-like.

Yes.
Increased capacity leading to increased income.

WHEN THE FOOTBALL IS ENTERTAINING.

jonty
12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Yes.
Increased capacity leading to increased income.

WHEN THE FOOTBALL IS ENTERTAINING.
1-0 to the arsenal.
boring boring arsenal

Getting back on track :greengrin
It's the model thats being looked at, not the bottom line figures.
Would the old firm manage to hold UEFA places?
I was under the impression that Hibs were one of the few teams that would post a year on year profit, until the last set of results.
Am I wrong? Is any other team posting good results?
Model wise, who's closest in the SPL?
On a random thought - what about the lower division? are they pretty much cash in one hand and out the other?
There's no doubt there's a balance to be had, and Arsenal have managed it - through bums on seats and property manaegment - is this what Hibs were looking for when the board (not just RP) set out to complete the stadium?

CB_NO3
12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I would be surprised too see this happen. Can you imagine Uefa telling Man Utd or Real Madrid they are banned from Europe.

Andy74
12-01-2011, 09:27 AM
It doesn't really adress debt, not existing debt anyway.

I presume there are all sorts of things that can be done by clubs owned externally that could show a break even position for the club itself even if they are still spending way more than they get in.

steviecarnie
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I would be surprised too see this happen. Can you imagine Uefa telling Man Utd or Real Madrid they are banned from Europe.

Manchester United overall profit/loss is inside the amount as set out in the guidelines. Manchester United made a record operating profit of £100.8m but post £83.6m loss in 2009-10 how this works i have no idea but its inside the guide lines as its under the 40% freshold. Now with the restructuring of the debt (bond scheme and PIK's paid off) they will be even more inside it.

Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man City will be the worried ones.

Ritchie
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Manchester United overall profit/loss is inside the amount as set out in the guidelines. Manchester United made a record operating profit of £100.8m but post £83.6m loss in 2009-10 how this works i have no idea but its inside the guide lines as its under the 40% freshold. Now with the restructuring of the debt (bond scheme and PIK's paid off) they will be even more inside it.

Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man City will be the worried ones.

Steven,

I am completely confused.

Your posts on .net make you sound quite intelligent!!

Who writes them for you????

:wink:

steviecarnie
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Steven,

I am completely confused.

Your posts on .net make you sound quite intelligent!!

Who writes them for you????

:wink:

Google - Copy and paste lad,

WindyMiller
12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
1-0 to the arsenal.
boring boring arsenal

Getting back on track :greengrin
It's the model thats being looked at, not the bottom line figures.
Would the old firm manage to hold UEFA places? The Huns would would be o.k. to work as they are now, but would take a long time to pay off the debt.
I was under the impression that Hibs were one of the few teams that would post a year on year profit, until the last set of results. Celtc usually keep to a budget, but I'd imagine that's been blown apart by Mowbray and Lennon's spending/selling spree.
Am I wrong? Is any other team posting good results?
Model wise, who's closest in the SPL?http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spl/index.htm
On a random thought - what about the lower division? are they pretty much cash in one hand and out the other?
There's no doubt there's a balance to be had, and Arsenal have managed it - through bums on seats and property manaegment - is this what Hibs were looking for when the board (not just RP) set out to complete the stadium?

It's the old adage; now we have all the infrastructure in place we can sort the team out.

I'm sure you've had this conversation with the ManFromMonifeith. :wink:

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Arsenal were in the fortunate position of having the largest support in a city of 12m, many of whom were on the waiting list for STs before the move to the Emirates. Spurs will be in a similar position when they move from White Hart Lane. They would fill a 60,000 stadium every week.

I imagine the European 'giants' will find a way to work within the rules or challenge them in the courts.

Hearts on the other hand.......

The Falcon
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Do you the Germans not operate something like this in the Bundesliga?

Bostonhibby
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Some may say this is what the board have been doing at the expense of the squad.
Now that UEFA say it must be done (ok - it's not likely we'll be in the champions league much) will it become 'standard'?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9358589.stm

What impact will this have on Scottish Football?
How many clubs in the SPL would be eligible under those rules if applied to the last 3 seasons?

(and can we keep the topic on track without too much reference to that lot across the road :greengrin)

:confused: WTF why not the Hearts model?

ScottB
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I think clubs are allowed to post up to a £30 million loss per season and still be ok? At least I read that about Man City, so it may have been as a percentage of their income just for them.

That our neighbours over the road are still regularly chucking the best part of £5 - £10 million down the drain every season could make things interesting for them.

The downside of these rules to my mind are that it will make that bit harder for smaller clubs to compete, granted, a smaller club being backed by a rich owner to the top can be seen as artificial, but livens things up a bit, under these regs the biggest clubs will be allowed to spend much more than smaller rivals.

jgl07
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I think clubs are allowed to post up to a £30 million loss per season and still be ok? At least I read that about Man City, so it may have been as a percentage of their income just for them.

That our neighbours over the road are still regularly chucking the best part of £5 - £10 million down the drain every season could make things interesting for them.

The downside of these rules to my mind are that it will make that bit harder for smaller clubs to compete, granted, a smaller club being backed by a rich owner to the top can be seen as artificial, but livens things up a bit, under these regs the biggest clubs will be allowed to spend much more than smaller rivals.
My concern is that the proposals could end up freezing the hierarchy and ensure that the usual suspects continue to dominate for ever more.

The teams with access to cash from the Champions League group stages will easily be able to outspend their domestic rivals. This is a recipe for making all leagues rather like the SPL.

Chelsea used this approach earlier to break the Arsenal-Man United duopoly. That would not be possible if the rules were applied as outlined. Man City are currently attempting to do the same. City may be spending so much now to get things done before the rules start to bite.

It is one thing to prevent teams spending money they do not have by running up huge debts (like Hearts) but to prevent a team investing money they do have is another matter.

I am not sure how it can be enforced. I have a sneaking feeling that the whole thing could be in restraint of trade by preventing an owner investing money to break into the inner circle. Maybe this is why Manchester City seem so relaxed about the proposals.

If UEFA did try and ban a club from the Champions League, I would bet on legal action being taken and the usual stance to argue that the action of football authorities is above the law will not wash.

bighairyfaeleith
12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah

"Possible Ban"

Like they are ever going to ban Real Madrid or Chelsea

Uefa only seem not so corrupt if you compare them to fifa, but they are still more bent than a jambo in a public toilet!!!