PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Gary Harkins

Ferryhibby
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Heard from a source close to Dundee that he will be signing for us in this transfer window just wondered if he was any good and what could he bring to this team thats low on confidence, and would he be a strong enough character to carry the midfield?.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
He's brilliant on Football Manager.

SteveHFC
11-01-2011, 09:34 PM

:agree:

just_joe
11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Not meaning to sound negative about the guy but is this the best we can do? if it is then god are we in trouble....

BigKev
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
If true you've got to imagine it's been input from Adams that's led us to make a move.

Highly unlikely CC would know much about him.

Diclonius
11-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd take him, he'd more than likely be better than most of our midfield.

eastmainsmsh
11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I Thought we would go for harkins ..quality player bit like Barry the crab but with the forward passing :wink: good skill and links up super played for blackburn as a centre half would be good for us if he signs

sixtwo
11-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd take him, he'd more than likely be better than most of our midfield.

I heard this rumour and so i watched the game on sunday. He looked poor. He looked a bit fat aswell. Would be disappointed if this is the standard we are looking for.

IMO we need two or three quality signings. There is a dark cloud over easter road and the mood needs lifted. we need action. Bring in three players, sign up deeks and a couple of others that the manager thinks has a future and get rid off some dead wood.

This will improve morale, players will feel more settled, fans will have their interest re-ignited and we can move on. Hey, if we do it soon and do it right, we might even get a bit of form in time for a good cup run!

truehibernian
11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Mixu was keen on him when he was with Hibs..........decent player, scores goals from midfield and is quite creative. Thistle fans raved about him and thought he was going on to far bigger things than Dundee.

Toaods
11-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Not a hope in hell Calderwood is interested in him. Solid Div 1 pro endof.

zlatan
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM

That's all I need to know

Ferryhibby
11-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Right so just the usual mix of opinions then was told by my source that everyone thought he was abit fat but hes a bit deceiving in that respect, wondered if hed be worth a punt tho ther are some decent players in that div may need a bit of time to step up but maybe one for the future

Woody70x2
11-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Heard from a source close to Dundee that he will be signing for us in this transfer window just wondered if he was any good and what could he bring to this team thats low on confidence, and would he be a strong enough character to carry the midfield?.

Who is Gary Harkins?... oh aye I remember... no I don't.

McKenzie
11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Today 09:32 PM
Rhys89

good enough for me, but what one :wink:

Mark79
11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I'll be the first.....what's his website like?

IWasThere2016
11-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Harkins is a good player. Two-footed and a good touch/pass but and its a big but - he drifts in and out of games too readily and too often. On his game he'd be a good addition but he is not consistent.

As stated Mixu watched him on a few occasions.

PISTOL1875
11-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Anybody will be better than Liam Miller or Edwin De Graff at the moment...

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
from what i have seen of this boy, he would be a better option than kevin mcbride. So although he is not a standout player he is better than we would be shipping out.

erin go bragh
11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Dundee fan at work[season ticket] been raving about him since he signed for them.
has to be better than what we have [WELL HE CANT BE ANY WORSE]
GGTTH

Albion Hibs
11-01-2011, 10:29 PM
From what I can remember of seeing him in the past he plays on the right wing. A decent player and I think he could handle a move up in division.

If this was true would be a good signing for us, hopefully give us some more down the wings.

RickyS
11-01-2011, 10:31 PM
think he would be a decent signing, always at the top of the scoring charts at the end of the season. good return for a midfielder.

IWasThere2016
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Meant to say he's a bit like Boozy

3pm
11-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Meant to say he's a bit like Boozy

Injured?

lobster
11-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Excellent if true. Partick Thistle seemed on the brink of a push for promotion until he left for Dundee sometime last season. Get him in, in fact make him manager...:wink:

ScottB
11-01-2011, 11:06 PM
So people seem underwhelmed at the thought of buying one Dundee player, yet we have endless threads demanding we sign another?

Signing players from the First Division is not beneath us, and is exactly the tactic our rivals have been using to great effect.

And is the standard at the top of the First Division any worse than the majority of the SPL? Never mind the crap we are peddling.

Or hey, we could sign some 'quality' players like Liam Miller or Edwin DeGraaf :wink:

PeterboroHibee
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
A lot of my mates are Dundee fans who watch him regularly. General opinion is that he is quite a skillful player, but is really slow and doesnt do much in terms of work for the team.

If we had a solid, hard working team then he would be a decent addition, but not sure hes the sort of player whos going to really pull us through games in our current state.

shagpile
11-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Not meaning to sound negative about the guy but is this the best we can do? if it is then god are we in trouble....

Hibs are in the SPL ,not the EPl or La Liga. There are a few players in the first division who could most likely do a job in the SPL.

Albion Hibs
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Hibs are in the SPL ,not the EPl or La Liga. There are a few players in the first division who could most likely do a job in the SPL.

Agreed, it was not that long ago excitement levels on here were going through the roof at the prospect of Sproule a guy that was not even close to being on the football map, Jones probably our best CH in a while was from league 2 Grimsby (may have been league 1 when he left them).

Simply we are not going to get premiership players, we need to focus on finding player we can bring on / step up a level so we can turn them into decent players......and then sell them!

IWasThere2016
11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
From what I can remember of seeing him in the past he plays on the right wing. A decent player and I think he could handle a move up in division.

If this was true would be a good signing for us, hopefully give us some more down the wings.

He's no RW - LCM or LM. He doesnae like to track back also.

Toaods
11-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Harkins is a good player. Two-footed and a good touch/pass but and he's got a big but - he drifts in and out of games too readily and too often. On his game he'd be a good addition but he is not consistent.

...sorted that for you G :greengrin

RickyS
11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Agreed, it was not that long ago excitement levels on here were going through the roof at the prospect of Sproule a guy that was not even close to being on the football map, Jones probably our best CH in a while was from league 2 Grimsby (may have been league 1 when he left them).

Simply we are not going to get premiership players, we need to focus on finding player we can bring on / step up a level so we can turn them into decent players......and then sell them!

I think there are bargains to be had in the 1st, Stevenson has done ok for the Yams and FJK wants to offer him a new deal but for me Harkins is 3 times the player he is. I note the comments re work rate etc and that is a valid point but when did we last have a goal scoring midfielder? his current record stands at 18 in 51 games, thats a better strike rate than anybody apart from Deek

Perspective
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Exactly the sort we should be avoiding.

Talented yes, but has a bad attitude and isn't in the best shape.

Would fit in well with a few of the current lot but it's a culture we need to overhaul.

Iain G
12-01-2011, 12:55 AM
As far as I can tell, he's fat and/or big boned, he's a winger and/or a midfielder, has two feet (and legs I assume?), doesn't track back, was a good player for the Jags, gets lost in games, is slightly better than Kevin McBride and can score goals, Mixu didn't rate him, nobody has seen his website and he may be injured and/or French...

This is a very enlightening ol thread :greengrin:wink:

Expecting Rain
12-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Thought he was a stand out for Dundee, looked a good footballer with physical presence, he did look a bit one paced but we are in the SPL and two out of three would suggest that he might be a useful addition, as usual it will come down to his valuation and quite rightly so.

Wilson
12-01-2011, 10:14 AM
The fact that so many 'experts' on here don't want him leads me to believe he would be a cracking signing. Snap him up.

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
As far as I can tell, he's fat and/or big boned, he's a winger and/or a midfielder, has two feet (and legs I assume?), doesn't track back, was a good player for the Jags, gets lost in games, is slightly better than Kevin McBride and can score goals, Mixu didn't rate him, nobody has seen his website and he may be injured and/or French...

This is a very enlightening ol thread :greengrin:wink:Au contrair, my good man!

http://www.garyharkins.net/

Andy74
12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Partick fan at work says he had spells of being brilliant and then spells of disappearing!

He did say he had very quick feet, scored and created goals out of nothing and was the only player they've had in recent years who could so something different.

He didn't recognise the 'fat' thing, thought he was tall and thin when with them!

Thought he mght fit well into an SPL side with better players around him. Quite how he'd do at Hibs though I'm not sure.

Worth a shout for me if there are still baragains to be had at Dens.

Watched Griffiths again the other day and looks exactly what we don't need here anymore!

Hamish
12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Griffiths meant to be signing for Wolves

Reaper
12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
So people seem underwhelmed at the thought of buying one Dundee player, yet we have endless threads demanding we sign another?

Signing players from the First Division is not beneath us, and is exactly the tactic our rivals have been using to great effect.

And is the standard at the top of the First Division any worse than the majority of the SPL? Never mind the crap we are peddling.

Or hey, we could sign some 'quality' players like Liam Miller or Edwin DeGraaf :wink:

:thumbsup: Finally some sense. It beggars belief at the thoughts of sum folk. I work with a Guy who's a ST holder at Dundee and says he's their best player bya a mile and that was even before all the **** with releasing players etc. Surely worth a shot before people start slating him. As for another posters comments that if that's the standard we're looking at, what exactly do you think is the standard we should look at??? When teams like Motherwell can't compete with English NON-league teams, we're not much further up the ladder so realistically we're competing with League 1 & 2 teams?????????

Stevie Reid
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Think that he and Griffiths were bought for big money with the expectation that they would get Dundee to the SPL and be sold for considerable profit.

Remember he looked impressive in a live SC game against Rangers at Firhill a few years back, I think when Damon Gray was on loan there.

MoantheCabbage
12-01-2011, 01:20 PM
:thumbsup: Finally some sense. It beggars belief at the thoughts of sum folk. I work with a Guy who's a ST holder at Dundee and says he's their best player bya a mile and that was even before all the **** with releasing players etc. Surely worth a shot before people start slating him. As for another posters comments that if that's the standard we're looking at, what exactly do you think is the standard we should look at??? When teams like Motherwell can't compete with English NON-league teams, we're not much further up the ladder so realistically we're competing with League 1 & 2 teams?????????

Can't agree more.

People on here need to wake up to reality. Hibs should be looking at the Scottish lower divisions to see if there is any talent to be picked up. Worked for Dun Utd with Gomis, Bauben, Swanson and no doubt a few others

Stuart McCall also in the papers today saying that he got beat financially from a non league side in England to a striker from Plymouth.

The facts are we cant afford big money signings no one in Scotland can.

Beefster
12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I've got less chins than this Harkins character and I've not ran anywhere since 1993. If he's got all his own teeth, he might be worth a punt though.

supersauzee
12-01-2011, 01:40 PM

excellent post and agree completely! :agree:

basehibby
12-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Aha! - the great Gary Harkins - of whom it was once said "WHO???"

Hope he's good - will bloody well have to be to make any positive difference.

Randerson_4
12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Dundee fan at work[season ticket] been raving about him since he signed for them.
has to be better than what we have [WELL HE CANT BE ANY WORSE]
GGTTH

As a Dundee fan, season ticket holder from past few years I can judge him. He has skill & quick feet & good record of scoring goals. However, he's lazy & shows less than no fight! He doesn't look fit & he doesn't fit into a position. I think he's easy to mark out a game & unless he upped workrate & effort, commitment & desire he'd be a waste of money. As a Dundee fan, I'd gladly take the money to keep the club alive

Griffiths meant to be signing for Wolves

Yeah on his Facebook he's got a medical tomorrow. Heard Dundee & wolves wanted to loan him back but weren't allowed to by SFL

WindyMiller
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
As a Dundee fan, season ticket holder from past few years I can judge him. He has skill & quick feet & good record of scoring goals. However, he's lazy & shows less than no fight! He doesn't look fit & he doesn't fit into a position. I think he's easy to mark out a game & unless he upped workrate & effort, commitment & desire he'd be a waste of money. As a Dundee fan, I'd gladly take the money to keep the club alive

Yeah on his Facebook he's got a medical tomorrow. Heard Dundee & wolves wanted to loan him back but weren't allowed to by SFL

Deeks.

Am I right and how much do I win, Ann?

Kaiser1962
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Exactly the sort we should be avoiding.

Talented yes, but has a bad attitude and isn't in the best shape.

Would fit in well with a few of the current lot but it's a culture we need to overhaul.

That can be modified. Talent is either there or it's not.

Ozyhibby
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM

And Easter Road is just the place for turning a player with a bad attitude around.:rolleyes:

The Falcon
12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
And Easter Road is just the place for turning a player with a bad attitude around.:rolleyes:

Calderwood may be that man Ozy. Dont know about Harkins though.

HibsMax
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Take a look at the league table.

We're in trouble.

HibsMax
12-01-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm not sure that a bad attitude can be modified. I am sure that in the majority of cases it can be but there are some players out there that just cause trouble wherever they go.

Wotherspiniesta
15-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Missed the boat here?

Looks like the creative midfielder we've been missing.

Andy74
15-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Harkins plays well once every so often.

Liam89
15-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Missed the boat here?

Looks like the creative midfielder we've been missing.

Why dig this up and create another "missed the boat here" topic? :confused:

BT58
15-10-2011, 01:56 PM
off topic guys...............i notice taoads has left,,,any reason why,,,,always thought he was not bad guy
bt

Wotherspiniesta
15-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Why dig this up and create another "missed the boat here" topic? :confused:

Why not?

Thought he was very good against us and again today against Celtic.

SkintHibby
15-10-2011, 04:07 PM
off topic guys...............i notice taoads has left,,,any reason why,,,,always thought he was not bad guy
bt

I noticed that and was wondering too.

Seems to be typical of the admins on here to get rid of the 'good guys'.:rolleyes:

Liam89
15-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Why not?

Thought he was very good against us and again today against Celtic.

Because they have been done to death!

HNA6
15-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I noticed that and was wondering too.

Seems to be typical of the admins on here to get rid of the 'good guys'.:rolleyes:Aye thats right, we ban all the "good guys" for absolutley nothing, we spend hours running this site just so we can ban all the good guys ..your another one mumping your gums when you know absolutley nothing ..if you dont like the way we run this place go elsewhere then ..