PDA

View Full Version : NHC Spotty to Man U?

Ell_Chrisso
11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Craig Gordon may be on his way to the Premiership leaders..

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/222383/Will-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-splash-out-on-Craig-Gordon-

steviecarnie
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Craig Gordon may be on his way to the Premiership leaders..

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/222383/Will-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-splash-out-on-Craig-Gordon-

speaking to a few jambo's about this and they are slightly worried that if he does leave before next season they'll miss out on £2m as the £9m from sunderland is all based on appearances with the next freshold being 100 games. As a United fan id take gordon but at £15m there's better out there.

Pretty Boy
11-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Good move for both parties IMO.

It would take more than £15M to take one of the 'established' world class keepers to Old Trafford, Cesar, Casillas, Reina etc and aout £15M to take someone like Buffon who has more years behind him than ahead of him. The other option is to go for an up and coming keeper such as Akinfeev or De Gea but there is a risk here and you would be lucky to get much change from £15M for either of those 2.

Gordon has established himself at Premier League level after a slow start, he's still got his best years ahead of him and he looks capable of making the step up to Champions League football. Plus the west coast press would be spewing if Gordon ended up at Man Utd ahead of McCheater.

easty
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
He's been unlucky with injuries but if Gordon was to get a bit of luck and have 2-3 seasons injury free then £15m would be a really good signing for Man Utd.

Houchy
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I'd say that, as much as I can't stand the diving little tramp, McGregor is the better keeper out the 2 and I can't see rangers knocking back £5m for him given the financial state they're in. Also taking into account Gordons injury worries it's almost a no brainer for me. He's done his shoulder (I think) pretty seriously twice now and think if it happens again, he could well be finished.

Ell_Chrisso
11-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Didnt realise Hearts were due money for a certain number of apperances. I would have thought they would have had sense to have a sell on clause, which im sure they probably still doo.

Makes sense then as to why Sunderland may be eager to try deal him to Utd just now then, as they no doubt feel Sir Alex would enquire in the summer.

Being an Arsenal fan myself, i would be delighted to pick up Gordon, and its been a lil rumour here and there in previous times Wenger would maybe be interested, but he seems to be looking elsewhere if he does eventually sign a quality keeper.

This would be a great step in Gordon's career & im sure Man U would reep the benefits aswell. He is a great goalie.

soproni1
11-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Good move for both parties IMO.

It would take more than £15M to take one of the 'established' world class keepers to Old Trafford, Cesar, Casillas, Reina etc and aout £15M to take someone like Buffon who has more years behind him than ahead of him. The other option is to go for an up and coming keeper such as Akinfeev or De Gea but there is a risk here and you would be lucky to get much change from £15M for either of those 2.

Gordon has established himself at Premier League level after a slow start, he's still got his best years ahead of him and he looks capable of making the step up to Champions League football. Plus the west coast press would be spewing if Gordon ended up at Man Utd ahead of McCheater.

He's played against the best with Scotland as well and has always looked extremely comfortable.

Remeber the save off Jones at their end?

Pretty Boy
11-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Didnt realise Hearts were due money for a certain number of apperances. I would have thought they would have had sense to have a sell on clause, which im sure they probably still doo.

Makes sense then as to why Sunderland may be eager to try deal him to Utd just now then, as they no doubt feel Sir Alex would enquire in the summer.

Being an Arsenal fan myself, i would be delighted to pick up Gordon, and its been a lil rumour here and there in previous times Wenger would maybe be interested, but he seems to be looking elsewhere if he does eventually sign a quality keeper.
This would be a great step in Gordon's career & im sure Man U would reep the benefits aswell. He is a great goalie.

It's hard to criticise Wenger given his record in maanagement but i honestly think his failure to sign a top class keeper over the last few years has cost Arsenal big time.

If Arsenal really want to push on and win the league again and the Champions League they need to sign a top keeper. No Mark Scwarzers (decent keeper though he is) but a real top keeper even if it takes a chunk out the transfer budget. Sczeny (sp?) is a very good young keeper but not sure he's ready to make the step up just yet. I think thats fans and managers alike are sometimes a bit dismissive of just how important a really good keeper is.

Ell_Chrisso
11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
He's played against the best with Scotland as well and has always looked extremely comfortable.

And the outstanding save from a Riordan shot aswell which was top corner bound all the way. I also remember being right behind Riordan's thirty odd yard screamer against Gordon, which he almost got his fingers too

Haymaker
11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
It's hard to criticise Wenger given his record in maanagement but i honestly think his failure to sign a top class keeper over the last few years has cost Arsenal big time.

If Arsenal really want to push on and win the league again and the Champions League they need to sign a top keeper. No Mark Scwarzers (decent keeper though he is) but a real top keeper even if it takes a chunk out the transfer budget. Sczeny (sp?) is a very good young keeper but not sure he's ready to make the step up just yet. I think thats fans and managers alike are sometimes a bit dismissive of just how important a really good keeper is.

Problem being that buying an established top class keeper will cost you £25m+ at least. Reina was still a risk when he signed to Liverpool IMO but is now a top keeper.

United could do worse than sign Gordon but I have a feeling they are definately on Buffons case. :cool2:

Pretty Boy
11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Problem being that buying an established top class keeper will cost you £25m+ at least. Reina was still a risk when he signed to Liverpool IMO but is now a top keeper.

United could do worse than sign Gordon but I have a feeling they are definately on Buffons case. :cool2:

Thats the thing though none of the top clubs in England, Spain etc would think twice about spending £25M on a top striker but when it comes to a keeper they come over all tight fisted.

A good keeper can win you a lot of points, especialy at the top level where they might only have to make 1 or 2 saves a game but have to remain focussed for 90 odd minutes.

Cropley10
11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
speaking to a few jambo's about this and they are slightly worried that if he does leave before next season they'll miss out on £2m as the £9m from sunderland is all based on appearances with the next freshold being 100 games. As a United fan id take gordon but at £15m there's better out there.

I remember the deal as being £7m plus £2m

How many more games does he need to play, anyone know?

And I doubt they'd have a sell-on clause either - it will have been forgotten about in the haste to sell him to Sunderland

steviecarnie
11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I remember the deal as being £7m plus £2m

How many more games does he need to play, anyone know?

And I doubt they'd have a sell-on clause either - it will have been forgotten about in the haste to sell him to Sunderland

the 2 i spoke to were sure they would received a add on at 50 and 100 games

H18sry
11-01-2011, 01:53 PM
:wink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqAmG3xK9_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxP49ZJr0U

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-01-2011, 02:29 PM
If this deal goes through, then Man City will go to Doncaster and buy Deano and that will give them the physical presence they need to get six points out of the derby games.:wink:

Ritchie
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM

no there's not steven!

steviecarnie
11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
no there's not steven!

Listen Scott!!! u just concern yourself with looking after the mrs than worrying about goalkeepers and there values :greengrin

down-the-slope
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Is that the same Man U that were not buying this window :rolleyes:

Its just a well Fergies nose does not grow with each porkie...otherwise his hooter would reach a corner 2 mins ahead of the rest of him

aberhibsfc
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Thats the thing though none of the top clubs in England, Spain etc would think twice about spending £25M on a top striker but when it comes to a keeper they come over all tight fisted.

A good keeper can win you a lot of points, especialy at the top level where they might only have to make 1 or 2 saves a game but have to remain focussed for 90 odd minutes.

Lot of sense on this thread.

Stopping a goal is every bit as important as scoring. You just have to hope that you can do both.

Gordon going to Man Utd would have the OF spewing, so good move, as is the move happening before the suggested appearances fee to Heart. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Diclonius
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I ****ing hate Craig Gordon, but he's an excellent keeper and this would be an excellent move for him and Scotland. :agree:

sesoim
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM

Much as a like Wenger and feel he is one of the good guys in the Premiership, it's starting to seem like he doesn't actually WANT to win any more trophies. He wonts spend, even though three signings in the right areas would have won them the title this year, and at least a couple of other trophies since 2005.

It's almost like he's such a purist that winning trophies is beneath him. I'm afraid if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be a bit frustrated at wasted opportunites to win things.

sesoim
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Lot of sense on this thread.

Stopping a goal is every bit as important as scoring. You just have to hope that you can do both.

Gordon going to Man Utd would have the OF spewing, so good move, as is the move happening before the suggested appearances fee to Heart. Two birds with one stone and all that.

:agree: Agree - especially the bit about Hearts. If we can't beat 'em, then we'll just have to rely on others to do it for us.

ancient hibee
11-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Arsenal stand all theories on their head-

no reliable goalie

no commanding centre half

no clogging central midfielder/ball winner

no outstanding centre forward

and are still the most entertaining team in the league.

Craig_in_Prague
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM

no reliable goalie

no commanding centre half

no clogging central midfielder/ball winner

no outstanding centre forward

and are still the most entertaining team in the league.

good points...

though they do work very hard (all players), pressure the ball well and have a team all comfertable on the ball. Which means they've usually most of the posession and they have some outstanding players driving forward and creating chances.

I suppose Hibs under Mowbray were similar, we had crap goalies, dodgy defence, but enough going forward to win plenty games.

For a club the size of Arsenal though, as others say, why o why they (and other bigger clubs) don't make the keeper one of the priority signings i really dont know.

I'm convinved Man UTD would not have won half the trophies they did if it wasn't for Peter Schmiechel (sp).

Hibs On Tour
11-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Broke my ****ing heart! And not for the first time either!

Thinking about it now, I'd be hard pushed not to stick this down as the finest save that I have ever personally seen in the flesh [i.e. at a game I attended and not on the goggle box from sometime/somewhere]

Always thought he'd end up at Arsenal and as others have posted I think AW will end up with his lack of bringing in a top class keeper as his particular albatross that cost them big-time. Spotty to Man U would be great business for Man U IMHO.

Hibs On Tour
11-01-2011, 06:28 PM

:top marks

I'd go so far as to suggest that in most cases a top-rate keeper between the sticks will win you more points on his own that a single top-rate striker up front will.

Iain G
11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
So it's Bufoon ahead of Buffon then? :confused::greengrin

The Silver Fox
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Maybe it's just bad luck but Gordon seems to be injured more than any other top goalie, £15m is too much of a risk. A No.1 goalie has to be playing all the time.

ScottB
11-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Always suspected he might end up there, or indeed Arsenal after Wenger's many positive comments.

For me, he is the one Scottish player out there at the moment with the genuine potential to be truly world class, he's already the best British keeper going.

.Sean.
11-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Putting his Jambo roots to one side, Gordon is a fantastic goalkeeper who I feel would flourish under Sir Alex.

steviecarnie
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Always suspected he might end up there, or indeed Arsenal after Wenger's many positive comments.

For me, he is the one Scottish player out there at the moment with the genuine potential to be truly world class, he's already the best British keeper going.

hmmm think id rather have hart or given if im honest.

ScottB
11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
hmmm think id rather have hart or given if im honest.

Given isn't British and I think Gordon's experience edges it over Hart for me.

steviecarnie
11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=ScottB;2687751]Given isn't British [QUOTE]
thats just being pedantic ;) in the eyes of the FA premier league he is considered Home Grown

sambajustice
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Gordon is Scotlands number one keeper. Its just the Weegie press that will have you believe its McGregor. McGregor is good but Gordon is a cut above.

Wouldnt be any worse than any of the current incumbents at either Man U or Arsenal, well what i mean is he would be the number one at either of those clubs. Assuming Van der Sar retires this year!

Man U have just bought a keeper though!

steviecarnie
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Gordon is Scotlands number one keeper. Its just the Weegie press that will have you believe its McGregor. McGregor is good but Gordon is a cut above.

Wouldnt be any worse than any of the current incumbents at either Man U or Arsenal, well what i mean is he would be the number one at either of those clubs. Assuming Van der Sar retires this year!

Man U have just bought a keeper though!

the speculation is that fergie is still after a more experience number 1 with the new boy being back up as Kuszczak wants first team football

Speedy
11-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Is that the same Man U that were not buying this window :rolleyes:

Its just a well Fergies nose does not grow with each porkie...otherwise his hooter would reach a corner 2 mins ahead of the rest of him

The rumour is for the end of the season.

Although he has already signed Lindegaard this window anyway.

thats just being pedantic ;) in the eyes of the FA premier league he is considered Home Grown

To be fair, so is Fabregas.

Ell_Chrisso
12-01-2011, 08:24 AM

no reliable goalie - need one.

no commanding centre half - would love Cahill to complement Vermaelen

no clogging central midfielder/ball winner - I do agree with most being a Gunner, but not this one. I think Song is one of the most under-rated players in the league. Been outstanding this season

no outstanding centre forward - Think Chamahck & VP are good enough

and are still the most entertaining team in the league. d

Aldo
12-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Excellent in fact no outstanding keeper IMHO. Still his best years to come. £15million would be a snip.

Watching Carson last night fir the 2nd goal (nae chance at 1st) OOOOOPs. and then there is Green.

I hope Man U or Arsenal sign him before he makes the necessary add on clause.

francobaresi
12-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm a Gordon fan & I'm sure he will do well at Old Trafford if indeed he goes. Although I'm not sure I could sing his praises when I go down there...:greengrin...