PDA

View Full Version : Home Nations Competition to Return?

SteveHFC
10-01-2011, 10:09 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9355809.stm

The British Home Championship is set to return to the calendar for the first time since 1984, the BBC understands.

P&D Windows
10-01-2011, 10:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9052178.stm :dunno:

HibeePaj
11-01-2011, 01:11 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9052178.stm :dunno:

That link is about this years 'nations cup' involving Scotland, Wales, ROI and, NI.

this story is about a home nations cup involving England in place of ROI in 2013.

Lofarl
11-01-2011, 01:50 AM
You think if they had won the world cup bid they would be up for this? Thought not.

steakbake
11-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Possibly not, but there's no need for us to get chippy about it. It's a great opportunity to expose our own national team to regular 'competitive' international footy against relatively good opposition. Bet HP (or his replacement) won't get the same level of call offs for a home nations' game as he does against the mighty Faroes.

CB_NO3
11-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I can see us coming last.

magpie1892
11-01-2011, 05:58 AM
You think if they had won the world cup bid they would be up for this? Thought not.

I think so, yes. England would need a tune-up against fourth-rate opposition, so Scotland would fit the bill perfectly! :wink:

hibsbollah
11-01-2011, 12:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9357918.stm

Frazerbob
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Good God I hope not! These games just bring out the worst in our support. I've only seen Scotland fans cause bother at three matches in the last 20 years....twice at Wembelee and once in Glasgow before the 1999 play off.

Instead of a trip to London I'd rather we played somewhere interesting that we haven't visited before or at least for a very long time.

smurf
11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Great news.

CentreLine
11-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Good God I hope not! These games just bring out the worst in our support. I've only seen Scotland fans cause bother at three matches in the last 20 years....twice at Wembelee and once in Glasgow before the 1999 play off.

Instead of a trip to London I'd rather we played somewhere interesting that we haven't visited before or at least for a very long time.

I think this would be a great thing for Scottish Football.

The suggestion that somehow this mach was surrounded by football violence is largely a politically motivated myth. The worry now is that so many people will believe that myth that certain factions may well see the reintroduction of the fixture as a soft target for violence and see themselves as continuing something that actually did not take place in any significant form.

I attended many of these games in the 70's and 80's and never saw an act of violence committed. That included the "pitch invasion" of '77 so often shown as some sort of a riot. I was on that pitch and can assure you it was nothing of the sort. It was a party and a good humoured celebration and there was not a single nasty incident to be seen. When the BBC trawl out the old pictures and present it as football thuggery look at it carefully and try to find a single incident of violence. You will see none.

Oh yes, what about the pitch? The English FA had been in the paper the week before the match stating how the Wembley pitch was not up to scratch and was to be removed and returfed immediately after the game. Perhaps not the best thing to have let out of the bag but it certainly puts the souvenir hunting into perspective. Those of us that took a little piece of turf should probably feel a little ashamed but it was hardly life threatening stuff.

I hate the whole concept of football violence. The reason this match was abandoned had nothing to do with football violence but was IMHO entirely political. It was motivated by the need to dampen the nationalistic fervour it encouraged during a period when Scottish Nationalism was rising steeply and Westminster needed oil being piped from off the Scottish coast. Remember, this was a time when the Westmisnter Government were considering putting troops on to the streets if Scotland to prevent any rise in Nationalism.

If football violence was the bench mark by which football was played or otherwise we would have very few games at all

JimBHibees
11-01-2011, 01:17 PM

The suggestion that somehow this mach was surrounded by football violence is largely a politically motivated myth. The worry now is that so many people will believe that myth that certain factions may well see the reintroduction of the fixture as a soft target for violence and see themselves as continuing something that actually did not take place in any significant form.

I attended many of these games in the 70's and 80's and never saw an act of violence committed. That included the "pitch invasion" of '77 so often shown as some sort of a riot. I was on that pitch and can assure you it was nothing of the sort. It was a party and a good humoured celebration and there was not a single nasty incident to be seen. When the BBC trawl out the old pictures and present it as football thuggery look at it carefully and try to find a single incident of violence. You will see none.

Oh yes, what about the pitch? The English FA had been in the paper the week before the match stating how the Wembley pitch was not up to scratch and was to be removed and returfed immediately after the game. Perhaps not the best thing to have let out of the bag but it certainly puts the souvenir hunting into perspective. Those of us that took a little piece of turf should probably feel a little ashamed but it was hardly life threatening stuff.

I hate the whole concept of football violence. The reason this match was abandoned had nothing to do with football violence but was IMHO entirely political. It was motivated by the need to dampen the nationalistic fervour it encouraged during a period when Scottish Nationalism was rising steeply and Westminster needed oil being piped from off the Scottish coast. Remember, this was a time when the Westmisnter Government were considering putting troops on to the streets if Scotland to prevent any rise in Nationalism.

If football violence was the bench mark by which football was played or otherwise we would have very few games at all

Can remember going down to Wembley early 80s I think, Beardsley scored in a 1-0England win and it was a shocking atmosphere and loads of trouble.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
You are probably right about a lack of real violence in the likes of '77 but by the time it was abandoned widescale violence was the norm, I'm thinking of the game when Richard Gough scored the winner (1985?) onwards, mayhem in the stadium that day and serious disorder on all Englands subsequent visits North.