PDA

View Full Version : Poor cup attendances generally

The Voice Of Reason
10-01-2011, 11:03 PM
We had over 6000 on Saturday and tonight vs Kilmarnock Rangers had a measly 13,215 (p*ss poor). It looked as though Killie sold out - not sure how many tickets that would be ?

So given the size of our support compared to the huns, does that mean that our attendance on Saturday was actually not that bad after all ? :confused:

wazoo1875
10-01-2011, 11:12 PM
We had over 6000 on Saturday and tonight vs Kilmarnock Rangers had a measly 13,215 (p*ss poor). It looked as though Killie sold out - not sure how many tickets that would be ?

So given the size of our support compared to the huns, does that mean that our attendance on Saturday was actually not that bad after all ? :confused:

I know you're the Voice of Reason and all, but i'd still suggest that a 6000 crowd at home in the cup is pretty pish. The hun hoards have had far more games to fork out for than us this season and it was on a monday night on tele. Saying that i'm pretty shocked at that attendance. Maybe it is just a sign of the times, most of the FA Cup games were sparsely populated too !

CB_NO3
10-01-2011, 11:12 PM
That must be the lowest crowd at Ibrox in years.

Albion Hibs
10-01-2011, 11:15 PM

No it does not mean it was not that bad. We like to get stuck into the old firm for there fans disappearing when the going is not good. Our support levels on Saturday were embarrassing, so I would not be drawing too much attention to it.

I just hope that Saturday's game is a repeat.

Andy74
10-01-2011, 11:18 PM
It does pu in perspective. The cups aren't attracting crowds. Plenty of people were lining up to paint it as a verdict on the board weren't they? We do still have an average of 12k plus which isnt really illustrating a catastrophic abandonment.

wazoo1875
10-01-2011, 11:27 PM
It does pu in perspective. The cups aren't attracting crowds. Plenty of people were lining up to paint it as a verdict on the board weren't they? We do still have an average of 12k plus which isnt really illustrating a catastrophic abandonment.

A relegation battle can sometimes galvanise the support too Andy, providing a team's not cut adrift at the bottom and the players are fighting their hearts out for the cause. I'm sure i recall quite large crowds pitching up to ER the last time we were in a dogfight. Sadly this time, some of the players don't seem to be up for it and i can sadly see more of the support drifting away between now and the end of the season unless things improve.
I'll be there on saturday, but there will come a point when i won't carry on regardless, season tickets or not.

down-the-slope
10-01-2011, 11:28 PM
what it highlights is that 'walk up' punters are thin on the ground...ST holders at all clubs have held up pretty well...but with times being tough and bad weather / rubbish timings...mean when people can save the money by not going on a whim...they are far more likely to...ST holders need to pay for cup as they come up which is why they suffer most ...

The real eye opener will be looking at the ST renewal figures for all clubs for next season given this senario and the farting about with league structure....

This is the first year I can remember when Hibs have not be crowing about rising ST numbers....Ibrox / Parkhead are going to look empty next season..remember only one team get CL place...they have relied on selling ST's partly on the right it then gives for CL tickets...with that gone and spaces appearing people will beleive that they can pick and choose and get tickets for the games they want...its also one of the few down sides of the new east....people will know next season that a ST is less necessary

erin go bragh
10-01-2011, 11:46 PM
A relegation battle can sometimes galvanise the support too Andy, providing a team's not cut adrift at the bottom and the players are fighting their hearts out for the cause. I'm sure i recall quite large crowds pitching up to ER the last time we were in a dogfight. Sadly this time, some of the players don't seem to be up for it and i can sadly see more of the support drifting away between now and the end of the season unless things improve.
I'll be there on saturday, but there will come a point when i won't carry on regardless, season tickets or not.
I can remember us taking between 4 to 5 thousand to boghead[dumbarton]for a relegation battle, mid 80s [ which we won 2 nil i think ] i can recall stalls selling hibs flags [it were like a cup final] sure brian rice scored the 1st and durie the 2nd but not 100% sure.
GGTTH

Wheat Hound
10-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I also recall filling half of east end park under McLeish when Brebner scored an og and Brian Welsh a late equalizer. Difference was that McLeish's arrival galvinised the club and rejuvenated the players and support. Such inspiration is sorely lacking at the moment. ER is like a morgue most matches until the inevitable chorus of boos at the end. Thus far, CC has not captured our imagination but I only hope that he has a plan that involves wholesale changes in personnel, including an inspirational signing or two a la Brebner.

The Voice Of Reason
11-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I know you're the Voice of Reason and all, but i'd still suggest that a 6000 crowd at home in the cup is pretty pish. The hun hoards have had far more games to fork out for than us this season and it was on a monday night on tele. Saying that i'm pretty shocked at that attendance. Maybe it is just a sign of the times, most of the FA Cup games were sparsely populated too !

Don't get me wrong, I was shocked at how low our crowd was on Sat and I still think it is a worryingly poor attendance. However I was even more shocked at the Huns attendance, therefore wondered if it put ours into a bit of perspective.

Hibs Till I Die. :agree:

HFC 0-7
11-01-2011, 09:22 AM

A saturday kick off at 3 and we get 6000 is a bad crowd. It is a result of our bad performances as no one is going to shell out extra money now on tickets. People will still go to the league games if their ST covers it. What is bad is the drop in attendance for the scottish cup. When we played irvine Meadow in the cup there was over 10K at ER, we play Ayr in the same cup and there is 6000, that drop in attendance represents something.

Our average attendance of 12K is nothing special when looking at last years average which was about 200 less than this season. Poor team = poor attendance. If we keep playing they way we are currently I would expect to see the leage crowds dwindle as well.

Golden Bear
11-01-2011, 09:44 AM
The weather and hazardous road conditions must have had had an effect on the attendance on Saturday.

Hamilton dropped their admission prices to Adults £15; Senior Citizens£5; kids £1. For their efforts they were rewarded with a crowd of 1,067 which goes to show that pricing isn't everything.

It's not that long ago that your season ticket also covered cup games so every home tie was seen as a wee bonus. Oh for a return to these days!!