PDA

View Full Version : This is a bit like 10 years ago

The Sea-gull
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone else feel that the current state of things at ER smacks of when McLeish left a little?

Team had finished previous season in a high league position through virtue of an excellent first half of the campaign but a rank awful second half followed though did not damage league position as first half of season had been so good.

The new season starts admidst concerns from fans that the players that have left have not been replaced adequately and the manager's decisions start to become under scrutiny. A few months into the season the manager leaves (OK McLeish didn't get punted like Yogi and some how manged to get a good job) and a new man comes in (Sauzee back then CC now) but fails to inspire or change anything, if anything things begin to look worse.

We all know what happened back then - only St Johnstone stopping us being bottom in February with us in freefall and relegation a real danger, Sauzee out, Blobby williamson in, a young Garry O'Connor emerges from nowhere to score a few important goals just when we were questioning where the goals would come from and we stay up.

Could the same happen this season with Hamilton replacing St Johnstone, someone replacing CC and Kurtis Bryne being the young kid who emerges as the goal threat?

I'd just take SPL safety right now, however it comes.

asayers
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm currently reading "When George came to Edinburgh" all about best & his time at Hibs. Not a bad read, however there as striking similarites about this season and his one season with us! We got relegated that year aswell!!!!
It is a major worry being a Hibby these days!

The Sea-gull
10-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh and in that season we were also playing in front of a big shiny new stand.

sesoim
11-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Anyone else feel that the current state of things at ER smacks of when McLeish left a little?

Team had finished previous season in a high league position through virtue of an excellent first half of the campaign but a rank awful second half followed though did not damage league position as first half of season had been so good.

The new season starts admidst concerns from fans that the players that have left have not been replaced adequately and the manager's decisions start to become under scrutiny. A few months into the season the manager leaves (OK McLeish didn't get punted like Yogi and some how manged to get a good job) and a new man comes in (Sauzee back then CC now) but fails to inspire or change anything, if anything things begin to look worse.

We all know what happened back then - only St Johnstone stopping us being bottom in February with us in freefall and relegation a real danger, Sauzee out, Blobby williamson in, a young Garry O'Connor emerges from nowhere to score a few important goals just when we were questioning where the goals would come from and we stay up.

Could the same happen this season with Hamilton replacing St Johnstone, someone replacing CC and Kurtis Bryne being the young kid who emerges as the goal threat?

I'd just take SPL safety right now, however it comes.

Yes, tbh I was really sickened with Hibs after everything that happenned in 2001/02, and Williamson replacing Sauzee still annoys me to this day. I wouldn't compare CC to Sauzee though - although Sauzee was awful in his time in charge, I still think, with the right assistant, things might have worked out. The fans would certainly have given him more time than just about anybody to turn things around.

CC, on the other hand, doesn't really have any goodwill to call on, as he hasn't played for us or done much in the past to suggest he is the right man for this job. And to make things worse, he lacks the charm of Sauzee, so he can't inspire any optimism.

Having said all that, at least it is a 12 team League, not a 10 team league like 1998. And we aren't in huge debt like we were then. I do kind of expect CC to go in March though if he doesn't make a couple of good signings soon, as he doesn't seem capable of getting us on a good run.