PDA

View Full Version : Do You Still Identify With Hibernian Football Club?

Speedway
10-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Whilst progess is to be expected and lauded, and if our board has done anything positive it has certainly delivered on modernisation; Hibs doesn't feel like 'my' club these days.

My view is almost certainly tainted by our annus horriblus but now we're back to the Miller/Williamson days of not communicating with the fans. The managers who have said a lot have been a few exam marks short of a pass and I don't really feel connected to the club in the way I did when we were just as crap but you could walk onto the terraces at Easter Road regardless of what day it was and you were on first name terms with the club staff because there weren't that many of them nor did they think we were called 'HI-brnan, moite' with Australian or English accents .

One thing I agree with Smurf on is that in the modern age and with hindsight, the rot appears to have started with the players deputation meeting with Petrie in 2007. Under Mowbray however, we got back to 'true' Hibs, perhaps by chance, playing teams off the park and winning, playing teams off the park and losing and scoring goals whilst employing comedy gold defending.

This is Hibs. A man with a vision in the hotseat, dedicated to developing the potential in the players/men at his disposal. The original model and vision of the Canon himself. That's why we missed Mowbray so much when he went and later became flippant in our 'Saint Tony' designation when referring to him. He was however, well suited idealogically for this club.

Now we are very much feeling like the days of Miller in terms of performances, results, crowds and media relations. I lost interest in the club under Miller around '94 and I resurged in early '97.

I am back to that point now, still paying my cash but increasingly revewing how much it means to me versus ratio of income spent. After all, I can support Hibs in lots of ways other than actually showing up at the game. I can buy the strip to wear, set up a Direct Debit to the HYBS and even subscribe to Hibernian TV *shudder*.

'So Colin, HI-brnan lost again. How important is it to win and not lose?'

'It's very important'

:bitchy:

I don't have to 'connect' to do any of these things. I do 2 out of 3 of them and I'm not connected.

Does anyone else feel the same?

hibs0666
10-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Whilst progess is to be expected and lauded, and if our board has done anything positive it has certainly delivered on modernisation; Hibs doesn't feel like 'my' club these days.

Was going to post something similar.

I have absolutely no idea what the vision for Hibs is these days. I can't find a club vision on a website that just seems to be one big advertising billboard these days.

If the club is lacking a vision then its no surprise that punters cannot identify with it.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM

My view is almost certainly tainted by our annus horriblus but now we're back to the Miller/Williamson days of not communicating with the fans. The managers who have said a lot have been a few exam marks short of a pass and I don't really feel connected to the club in the way I did when we were just as crap but you could walk onto the terraces at Easter Road regardless of what day it was and you were on first name terms with the club staff because there weren't that many of them nor did they think we were called 'HI-brnan, moite' with Australian or English accents .

One thing I agree with Smurf on is that in the modern age and with hindsight, the rot appears to have started with the players deputation meeting with Petrie in 2007. Under Mowbray however, we got back to 'true' Hibs, perhaps by chance, playing teams off the park and winning, playing teams off the park and losing and scoring goals whilst employing comedy gold defending.

This is Hibs. A man with a vision in the hotseat, dedicated to developing the potential in the players/men at his disposal. The original model and vision of the Canon himself. That's why we missed Mowbray so much when he went and later became flippant in our 'Saint Tony' designation when referring to him. He was however, well suited idealogically for this club.

Now we are very much feeling like the days of Miller in terms of performances, results, crowds and media relations. I lost interest in the club under Miller around '94 and I resurged in early '97.

I am back to that point now, still paying my cash but increasingly revewing how much it means to me versus ratio of income spent. After all, I can support Hibs in lots of ways other than actually showing up at the game. I can buy the strip to wear, set up a Direct Debit to the HYBS and even subscribe to Hibernian TV *shudder*.

'It's very important'

I don't have to 'connect' to do any of these things. I do 2 out of 3 of them and I'm not connected.

I'm the same, i just can't be arsed just now, not because we're pish or that the manager doesnt speak much, i've learned that they always say pretty much the same cliches all the time anyway so that doesn't bother me and we've been pish most of my lifetime so i can deal with that.

The thing that i find most off putting is the players attitude, how many of them really seem to appreciate what they've got? I don't think there's any players out there that the fans can connect with, i know we've got a few hibs fans in there but they're totally devoid of any carachter, the only one that plays with a smile on his face and appears to appreciate what he's got is Zemmama, and you saw how much the fans took to him and how it lifted the crowd against dundee utd, over the last few months we've had nobody like that, everyone seems to see playing for hibs as a chore, even the hibs fans in the squad.

IMO to get the fans back on side we need a player like sproule, someone that you know that regardless of how it's going he'll be giving you 110% effort to improve things, just now i think the players can't be ersed and that mood is reflected in the crowd.

HFC07
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree with some of what you say, this does feel like the Williamson / miller era. We are on a hiding to nowhere.
I don't feel separated from Hibs, I will always be a Hibs fan therefore will always be connected to the club and I don't care if the staff don't know my name I just want to see Hibs win, couldn't care less who runs the club as long as the team is doing the business on the field.

Expecting Rain
10-01-2011, 10:11 AM

'It's very important'

My feeling of disconnection expands beyond Hibs to Scottish football in general, the way the game is played, the ridiculous demands of tv scheduling which confirms the perception that our league is 3rd rate and a mere filler to real football and last but certainly not least player power.
Actually there is another aspect to the modern game which can be just as negative and that is the expansion of knowledge or lack of it through the medium of the internet, taking a step back whilst it is good to try and find out the views of supporters this is negated by the nonsense and the impatience of fans who think that getting from A to B is simple [ i`m as guilty as most] .
It would take a dramatic change in restructuring, football philosophy and unfortunately pricing to convince me that our game is still worth following in the present mood and circumstances.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 10:27 AM
My feeling of disconnection expands beyond Hibs to Scottish football in general, the way the game is played, the ridiculous demands of tv scheduling which confirms the perception that our league is 3rd rate and a mere filler to real football and last but certainly not least player power.
Actually there is another aspect to the modern game which can be just as negative and that is the expansion of knowledge or lack of it through the medium of the internet, taking a step back whilst it is good to try and find out the views of supporters this is negated by the nonsense and the impatience of fans who think that getting from A to B is simple [ i`m as guilty as most] .
It would take a dramatic change in restructuring, football philosophy and unfortunately pricing to convince me that our game is still worth following in the present mood and circumstances.

:top marks

completely agree, between average players thinking there billy big baws and impatient fans demanding success straight away there isn't a lot of good in watching football just now.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution, if there was one we'd do it as its in everyone interest to be successful, however although there's been lots of complaints there hasn't been a huge amount of solutions being offered, you only have to look at the league reconstruction thread to see that.

khib70
10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Interesting thread.

I think there was a "vision" for the club. It was, however, a flawed one. The "vision" was that rigorous financial management combined with investment in infrastructure would of itself bring about an improvement in the footballing side of the club.

This "vision" was widely supported on here, especially with reference to the new stand. It was argued by more than one poster that by improving the ground, that would in itself attract more fans and further improve our financial standing. That new financial standing would, along with a steady supply of talented youngsters from East Mains, allow us to steadily invest more in the football side and bring about improvements.

It hasn't worked. The new stand has yet to be filled to capacity, and has been embarrasingly empty on too many occasions. Despite the frequent allusions to the Scottish Cup as the "Holy Grail", a fourth round tie at home to a lower division club, with reduced prices, produced a two-thirds empty stadium. The "if you build it, they will come" philosophy has been roundly discredited. This season's average home gate will be lower than last season's - we have invested in empty seats.

This is a football club. Our core business is winning football matches, and nurturing and developing talented players. The people in charge have forgotten this, and pursued book balancing plus the purchase of shiny things to the detriment of what we're really here for. Ten years ago, we were prepared to lay out £750 000 for a player in the correct assumption that we would profit heavily in the future. This turned out to be much less of a gamble than expanding the size of the ground in the face of falling attendances.

Failing to invest in the football side, and covering up this failure by using the managers as sacrificial lambs is a certain recipe for instability, uncertainty, falling attendances and an overall sense of failure.

That's why, sadly, the OP's question is relevant. Clearly some people sincerely find it difficult to show a passion for Hibernian Football Club, when those at the top seem to be passionate only about the balance sheet.

If you're a Hibby, you're one for life, and I'm no different. But I, like many others, am asking myself - do I want to endorse an unambitious, tunnel-visoned, and ultimately failing strategy by re-activating my card next year?

The Board have the power and the resources to rectify this sad situation. Not by wantonly splashing millions about, but by backing the manager in bringing genuine quality players to ER within the financial leeway we have.

That will bring the fans back, the confidence back, the passion back. Otherwise Rod will be looking out of his office window at the tumbleweed blowing through the empty spaces of the First Division's best appointed venue.

Vini1875
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I would have to say yes, because in the main it is the guys around that I am most connected to, the shared hardship or glory and joy. The people in the board room have always been a bit removed from me.

However the most worrying thing for me is I feel very little kinship with the players and that sense that these guys share our ups and downs, that they are our players giving all for the cause. Like many I just don't believe they care and not just about the club or the fans but about each other. We don't have a team, we have a collection of individuals who don't seem to like each other too much.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 10:41 AM

I have absolutely no idea what the vision for Hibs is these days. I can't find a club vision on a website that just seems to be one big advertising billboard these days.

If the club is lacking a vision then its no surprise that punters cannot identify with it.

The vision is the same as always i'd imagine, to spend 1 penny less than we take in, on the playing side of things.

I feel folk are ignoring the great strides the club has taken since the SUABC campaign. This is a bad season, we can all see that, but it is our first really bad one in a long time.

We have no god given right to success, but a trophy, 2 European qualifications and regular top 6 places is above average for Hibs. Yet we have a bad season, and everyone wants us to spend spend spend, that would probably put us back to pre 2005. The visions always been the same, we just have to keep calm, and not panic.

RIP
10-01-2011, 11:05 AM
The company I work for is well run and we have a fairly charismatic leader. He is a long-haired, dress down, intelligent dude who imparts a really inclusive corporate culture. He has a daily blog and he can relate to me just as readily as he can to shareholders and senior managers.

Unfortuantely I don't have the same confidence in my football club. To put all our expectations on a succession of football players turned coaches to be able to carry out a complete overhaul of the entire football organisation is, in my view, hugely naive.

It's Hibs as a company that needs to change - not just this years temp coach - before my 'connection' will be fully restored

smurf
10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Our Public Relations as a club have been poor for many years.

The 'When we have something to say then we will announce it' is laudable etc etc but in the real world of 24/7 media in 2011 it's not realistic.

We have a board that don't communicate with us through the media.

And now we have a Manager similar in style and tone to Alex Miller.

On the park we have no obvious leader that we can identify with who can communicate to us in a way that we listen to and respect.

As a young boy me and my mates would go to the old Royal High playing fields in Willowbrae and watch the players train. You could approach them as the jumped in their battered Datsuns and request an autograph.

Then you could go up to Easter Road and chat to all staff coming in and out. Directors, Management and staff.

I even offered my services to the groundsman Alex Kerr and was weeding on a hot July day at the back of the old Dunbar End. Wow - that was graft!!

Now there is a 'Them and us' attitude. On Saturday Smith from the bench was turning round looking at supporters behind him and smirking and it provoked some exchanges.... It got me thinking of how detached i feel from our club now.

Part of my criticism of our board is that they have created either by design or fault (but it certainly reflects their personalities) of shyness and detachment.

In 2003 i pleaded with Sir Tom to take a much more 'hands on approach'. He told me "I've not got the time!".

But here is a guy who isn't shy. His face was all over Kwik-Fit. And he was pretty damned successful in his approach.

We need that at our club. An owner, a Chairman, a board, a manager and a set of players with a much more contact approach from them all.

Like the OP i'm feeling how i did during Williamson. At games i feel numb about it all. I'm nearly at where i was under Williamson. Bored and no longer in Love with the club i do love.

We need change.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Interesting thread.

I think there was a "vision" for the club. It was, however, a flawed one. The "vision" was that rigorous financial management combined with investment in infrastructure would of itself bring about an improvement in the footballing side of the club.

This "vision" was widely supported on here, especially with reference to the new stand. It was argued by more than one poster that by improving the ground, that would in itself attract more fans and further improve our financial standing. That new financial standing would, along with a steady supply of talented youngsters from East Mains, allow us to steadily invest more in the football side and bring about improvements.

It hasn't worked. The new stand has yet to be filled to capacity, and has been embarrasingly empty on too many occasions. Despite the frequent allusions to the Scottish Cup as the "Holy Grail", a fourth round tie at home to a lower division club, with reduced prices, produced a two-thirds empty stadium. The "if you build it, they will come" philosophy has been roundly discredited. This season's average home gate will be lower than last season's - we have invested in empty seats.

This is a football club. Our core business is winning football matches, and nurturing and developing talented players. The people in charge have forgotten this, and pursued book balancing plus the purchase of shiny things to the detriment of what we're really here for. Ten years ago, we were prepared to lay out £750 000 for a player in the correct assumption that we would profit heavily in the future. This turned out to be much less of a gamble than expanding the size of the ground in the face of falling attendances.

Failing to invest in the football side, and covering up this failure by using the managers as sacrificial lambs is a certain recipe for instability, uncertainty, falling attendances and an overall sense of failure.

That's why, sadly, the OP's question is relevant. Clearly some people sincerely find it difficult to show a passion for Hibernian Football Club, when those at the top seem to be passionate only about the balance sheet.

If you're a Hibby, you're one for life, and I'm no different. But I, like many others, am asking myself - do I want to endorse an unambitious, tunnel-visoned, and ultimately failing strategy by re-activating my card next year?

The Board have the power and the resources to rectify this sad situation. Not by wantonly splashing millions about, but by backing the manager in bringing genuine quality players to ER within the financial leeway we have.

That will bring the fans back, the confidence back, the passion back. Otherwise Rod will be looking out of his office window at the tumbleweed blowing through the empty spaces of the First Division's best appointed venue.

One of the best posts I've read on here for a long time. :top marks

Bad Martini
10-01-2011, 11:41 AM

The 'When we have something to say then we will announce it' is laudable etc etc but in the real world of 24/7 media in 2011 it's not realistic.

On the park we have no obvious leader that we can identify with who can communicate to us in a way that we listen to and respect.

As a young boy me and my mates would go to the old Royal High playing fields in Willowbrae and watch the players train. You could approach them as the jumped in their battered Datsuns and request an autograph.

Then you could go up to Easter Road and chat to all staff coming in and out. Directors, Management and staff.

I even offered my services to the groundsman Alex Kerr and was weeding on a hot July day at the back of the old Dunbar End. Wow - that was graft!!

Now there is a 'Them and us' attitude. On Saturday Smith from the bench was turning round looking at supporters behind him and smirking and it provoked some exchanges.... It got me thinking of how detached i feel from our club now.

Part of my criticism of our board is that they have created either by design or fault (but it certainly reflects their personalities) of shyness and detachment.

In 2003 i pleaded with Sir Tom to take a much more 'hands on approach'. He told me "I've not got the time!".

But here is a guy who isn't shy. His face was all over Kwik-Fit. And he was pretty damned successful in his approach.

We need that at our club. An owner, a Chairman, a board, a manager and a set of players with a much more contact approach from them all.

Like the OP i'm feeling how i did during Williamson. At games i feel numb about it all. I'm nearly at where i was under Williamson. Bored and no longer in Love with the club i do love.

We need change.

I agree with most of this though, I would say Farmer done his job and won't (regardless of how good it would be or how much we want him to) get any more involved than he is now. I have no problem with that.

Equally, I dont really care who is on our board and I have nothing in common with execs and directors.

We only care aboot the fitba. So give us players and managers who know fitba and who WANT to be there. If they dont want to be there/journeymen/dont want to play for the shirt, get them to **** and I dont care HOW good they are and what the implications are.....as it stands, we've got a squad full of average and mediocre players in the main. There's less than 5 players you could actually say would give a toss with regards to loses and personal impact over wages and their reputation. Nothing to do with being anti-foreign player etc - Sauzee was not Scottish but he gave a toss....good example in point. We need folk who want to be there....there. Otherwise, we're ****ed.

Much the same as Liverpool just now. Dalglish has come back and almost instantly reunited the support, the players, the lot. Theres a buzz around the whole thing - we lose to Man U, the most bitter rivalary I've seen outwith celtic and rangers and yet still the buzz goes on. Given time, he will turn them round. We wont win the league any time soon but they'll be harder to beat and less happy to lose. And THAT would do us for starters.

But who to do it for us? Who's oor King Kenny??? That is the problem. I loved JC's time for the cup and his philosophy but even I admit he had problems on the auld man management side of it. Mixu was another good example though his issue lay in tactics. We need someone who is gonna bring everyone together AND has the skills to do the job....I dont know if thats a new manager or what it is but we need someone............:agree:

smurf
10-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Interesting thread.

Outstanding post. Sad but true.:not worth

Gatecrasher
10-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I still get exited by the thought of going to a Hibs game, but then i get there and i sit bored watching a rubbish football match for 2 hours. If most were on tv the channel would have well and truely changed :agree:

However i think the Identify point is an interesting one. I think the damage for me has been done on the pitch rather than off it despite what other posters point of view is.

I like the guys coming through (the silver lining in the dark clouds hanging above our club at the moment) Paul Hanlon, David Wotherspoon, Lewis Stevenson (on his day) and Galbraith. But there isnt enough. I Look back to the Mogga era when we had Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson and others coming through that the fans can relate to. I cant relate the most of the current players because i dont think they are playing for Hibs. Yes they are wearing the Green and White every week but if they were playing for Hibs (I.E us, the fans) we wouldnt be in the position we are in. Ok Some of the players just aint good enough, Fair enough but even so i am not seeing the type of performences them that would make me think they are playing for the shirt or even their futures at the club. This will sound a bit funny considering the recent player turnover we have, but we have some good prospects coming through at our club that cant (for some reason) get a look in. David Stephans, Callum Booth, Byrne etc. I think giving these guys a chance would give us and the team it needs. Blooding youngsters is what our club has been about for the last 7 or 8 years but we have lost our way recently and i think thats part of whats wrong.

(sorry for the long winded post) :aok:

Speedway
10-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I agree with most of this though, I would say Farmer done his job and won't (regardless of how good it would be or how much we want him to) get any more involved than he is now. I have no problem with that.

Equally, I dont really care who is on our board and I have nothing in common with execs and directors.

We only care aboot the fitba. So give us players and managers who know fitba and who WANT to be there. If they dont want to be there/journeymen/dont want to play for the shirt, get them to **** and I dont care HOW good they are and what the implications are.....as it stands, we've got a squad full of average and mediocre players in the main. There's less than 5 players you could actually say would give a toss with regards to loses and personal impact over wages and their reputation. Nothing to do with being anti-foreign player etc - Sauzee was not Scottish but he gave a toss....good example in point. We need folk who want to be there....there. Otherwise, we're ****ed.

Much the same as Liverpool just now. Dalglish has come back and almost instantly reunited the support, the players, the lot. Theres a buzz around the whole thing - we lose to Man U, the most bitter rivalary I've seen outwith celtic and rangers and yet still the buzz goes on. Given time, he will turn them round. We wont win the league any time soon but they'll be harder to beat and less happy to lose. And THAT would do us for starters.

But who to do it for us? Who's oor King Kenny??? That is the problem. I loved JC's time for the cup and his philosophy but even I admit he had problems on the auld man management side of it. Mixu was another good example though his issue lay in tactics. We need someone who is gonna bring everyone together AND has the skills to do the job....I dont know if thats a new manager or what it is but we need someone............:agree:

We don't have one. The closest is Franck Sauzee - we should try him.

SaudiHibby
10-01-2011, 12:44 PM
It's a business that has a lower turn over and profit than the Caledonian Hotel with very little opportunity to change that. Whatever happens on or off the field I will always be a Hibby but I do believe the days of seeing us playing at a high level are gone. The Chairmans 'vision' is to keep the brand name going but take no risk as he has promised the people of Leith that there will always be a Hibernian Football Club. It's dying and purely because all the other teams in Scotland (bar one or two) are also dying it may take some time but we are dying non the less.

Sir David Gray
10-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't identify with Hibs at all at the moment, to be perfectly honest.

I don't buy all the stuff that the club has been spouting over the past year or so about the "family home" and "being part of the family", to me that's just some marketing nonsense that means nothing.

For the past year, going to watch Hibs has been like a chore for me and it never used to be like that, even four or five years ago, I used to enjoy going to Easter Road and going to away games as well. It shouldn't be like that either, people should be going to a football match to enjoy themselves, it should be a form of entertainment. You shouldn't be going to watch your team and 20 minutes into the game, you're looking at your watch wondering how long it is until you can go home, because the game is so boring.

I agree entirely with Bingo70 when he says that we need players brought in who are going to have an affinity with the fans. At the moment we have a squad of players who don't appear to enjoy playing for Hibs and that mood is reflected in the stands amongst the supporters. I know I'm biased as I am a huge fan of his but I would be signing Ivan Sproule in the summer as a matter of priority. When he was here, he always engaged with the fans and got them cheering and up on their feet. Zemmama does it on occasions and his introduction at half time against Dundee Utd lifted the whole stadium. If we're not going to sign Sproule, we need two or three players like him. As much as I hate Rudi Skacel, he does that role perfectly at Hearts and that is why their fans love him.

I agree that the board has to run the club responsibly as no-one wants to see the club millions of pounds in debt, just so we can get a couple of 3rd place finishes and play two legs of European football every two or three years. However, if we end up in the first division next season, we will end up millions of pounds in debt as we won't have TV revenue coming in, we won't have any Old Firm fans filling the away end four times, we won't have any derbies (again filling the stadium), season ticket sales will be down to about 4 or 5,000 and we will be sitting in a 20,000 seater stadium that is about a third full.

There is no easy solution to our predicament as there appears to be so many problems facing the club right now that it's difficult to know where to begin.

A lot of people on here keep talking about looking at the bigger picture, taking a long term view and saying that we just need to give it time to allow things to fall into place. I was willing to accept this when we were finishing 4th or 5th in the league but not particularly playing very well. Now that we are in such a dire situation, we can't afford to take a long term approach, we need a short term approach, or else we are going to be a first division club next season and that is not something that the club can afford to see happen.

matty_f
10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
It's a struggle to identify with the club when, on the face of it, it means so much more to us than it does the players.

I think it'd be different if we had one or two in the team who had enough about them to make things happen week in, week out. Players who would throw themselves in front of everything to stop a goal, or would run the length of the pitch to get on the end of a cross to score, or who would grab a game by the scruff of the neck and take control.

I think the players try hard, but that's a different thing. I genuinely think they put in a shift, just that the work is running lots and trying not to do the simple things badly. The problem looks a lot of the time that the players are too scared to make a mistake, or too scared to try and make things happen because if and when it goes wrong, they get absolutely hammered for it.

I think it's hard to identify with a team where there's barely a player that you can genuinely, hand on heart, say that will give you a performance week in/week out. There is nobody to build the team around, nobody that leads the team, nobody that digs us out of a hole when things aren't going for us.

Under Mowbray we forgave a lot, we forgave comedy defending at times, and we forgave semi-final failings, heavy derby defeats, misplaced passes, wayward shots and mis-timed tackles.

We forgave it because when they happened there was enough character in that team to pick itself up and go at it again. We had players who would drive their team-mates on, that would be there when a mistake was made to cover, that would wade in when their team mate got hammered in a tackle.

We forgave it and we identified it and we loved it.

It's nigh on impossible to say that about the team at the moment.

Craig_in_Prague
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
some outstanding posts on this thread.

It should be sent over to the club, management team and board take a read please!

seriously, some well written posts without just people moaning or slagging, just people being honest and there's been many many good points made!

Brizo
10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I would have to say yes, because in the main it is the guys around that I am most connected to, the shared hardship or glory and joy. The people in the board room have always been a bit removed from me.

However the most worrying thing for me is I feel very little kinship with the players and that sense that these guys share our ups and downs, that they are our players giving all for the cause. Like many I just don't believe they care and not just about the club or the fans but about each other. We don't have a team, we have a collection of individuals who don't seem to like each other too much.

:agree:

Last group of players I identified with was Keith Wright , Mickey Weir , Kano , Calum Milne. A lot of thats probably because as well as being Hibbies they are my age group. But financially they were also a lot closer to me than todays players. Meeting them uptown or in the bookies was just like meeting another punter. None of the big I am. They also to me anyway had a far more genuine togetherness and loyalty towards the club than todays crop and that includes the HIbbies in the current squad.

Today managers and players are mercenaries. Niether of them can ask the fans to be loyal because they will be offski at the drop of a hat. We are in the era where the players , even the ones who support Hibs , main affinity is with their wage packet and not the club. Strangely enough the one manager who i dont think would have jumped ship for bigger bucks if he'd been a success at ER would have been Yogi.

To answer the thread title i identify with the fans , history and institution thats Hibernian FC , not Rod Petrie , the manager or players. And thats why as someone who didnt go on Saturday im finding it more and more easy to identify from a distance

JimBHibees
10-01-2011, 02:29 PM

We need change.

Dont think I agree with your point about us needing some great personality at the helm. Gray and Duff were personalities and ingratiated themselves with the Hibs support however also almost killed the club. Yogi was also a personality however he spraffed on and on and on with mostly cliched nonsense. I kind of like the way Hibs do business in the background and announce when necessary.

What we need are people that are capable in their roles and can get the team playing again to a decent and entertaining level hopefully that is CC as IMO if we get a few signings and a couple of decent results alot of the current negativity will dissipate.

al bundy
10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
some quality posts on here, agree with most things said

a just wish some of the current players read this thread and realize how much any of us on here would give to be in there fortunate position of wearing the green top

Bristolhibby
10-01-2011, 03:27 PM
The company I work for is well run and we have a fairly charismatic leader. He is a long-haired, dress down, intelligent dude who imparts a really inclusive corporate culture. He has a daily blog and he can relate to me just as readily as he can to shareholders and senior managers.

Unfortuantely I don't have the same confidence in my football club. To put all our expectations on a succession of football players turned coaches to be able to carry out a complete overhaul of the entire football organisation is, in my view, hugely naive.

It's Hibs as a company that needs to change - not just this years temp coach - before my 'connection' will be fully restored

just read your post, and apoligies if this is covered later in the thread.

People may goff, but is a director of Football the answer?

Do we need somone who is as long term as Petrie, who manages the culture and promotes the grassroots vision that we need to hang on to. A football club by the people, for the people. A club that nurtures talent and has the systems and structure in place to ensure this.

Petrie, it seems has the structure in the literal sense, but not the systems and people who will develop this to the full potential.

Gove kids free tickets for crap games that we are not going to. Link up with schools, tap into the immigrent market, be inclusive. But most importantly have a plan that reconnects people with Hibs and gets us winning games. Players who see Hibs more than just a paycheck. A monumental change in culture, that drives players to take responsiblity and most importantly PRIDE in what they are doing.

I dont know the answers, but I know things are not right down ER way.

J

PatHead
10-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree with most of the posters but unfortunately in all aspects of life you have "golden ages". Not just in football, in our case Hibs. You can't appreciate the ups without having some downs on the way.

Up until 2 seasons ago a group of about 10 of us used to meet in the pub before games, chew the fat, have a laugh and take in the game.Last season the group dwindled to a few except on a few occassions such as a Scottish Cup tie, european night(s). Now, none of us go.(Combine this with other people who feel the same and you can see why we only got 6,000 against Ayr as compared to !0,000 against "the Medda") Quite simply I won't pay to watch that rubbish on the park. I know a few of the die hards on here will tell me I'm wrong but I have invested £1,000s of pounds over the years in Hibs and quite simply deserve better.

It is really sad when the most exciting part of the past year (football wise) has been watching the new stand go up. Unfortunately that excitement evaporated on the European night when the same old clueless rubbish appeared on the park. I still go into Hibs.net/Edinburgh Evening News site/BBC in the desperate hope some good news will come out such as a signing. I still care but I don't watch out for the results at 4.45 and will check the result when I get a chance.

C'mon Hibs, engage me and thousands like me, tell us you tried to get a player and failed, tell us something, anything but most importantly let us know you care about Hibs as much as we do and you are trying to rectify things. Let us know you realise football is played on a park and not in a new stand, a great training facility or on a bank balance sheet. Comparing the crowds for this year and last year's 4th round it cost Hibs around £20k by not investing in the right players.

Rant over

TheEastTerrace
10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Interesting thread.

This post hits the nail on the head. I need say no more.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Do we need somone who is as long term as Petrie, who manages the culture and promotes the grassroots vision that we need to hang on to. A football club by the people, for the people. A club that nurtures talent and has the systems and structure in place to ensure this.

Petrie, it seems has the structure in the literal sense, but not the systems and people who will develop this to the full potential.

Gove kids free tickets for crap games that we are not going to. Link up with schools, tap into the immigrent market, be inclusive. But most importantly have a plan that reconnects people with Hibs and gets us winning games. Players who see Hibs more than just a paycheck. A monumental change in culture, that drives players to take responsiblity and most importantly PRIDE in what they are doing.

J

We are doing this now. I was in the persevere before the Dundee United game, and met a lapsed Hearts fan, a pensioner who was taking his wife. He goes to some community centre thing, who were rang up from someone from Hibs, and they were handing out free tickets to them.

RIP
10-01-2011, 04:27 PM

J

With 3 accountants on the board a Football Director isn't a luxury - it's a neccesity

To leave this responsibility down to a transient temp coach and temp players is just living in cloud cuckoo land

The club is the problem for me from the owner downwards. As semi-permanent managers of the club it is they - not Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Yogi or Calderwood that must ultimately be accountable

Coaching teams and players will come and go - but it's the custodians of our football club that make this connection. For me - it's our joint vision that's not being realised

BoltonHibee
10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Interesting thread.

Best post on hibs.net for quite sometime.

Sums it up for me, sums it up perfectly IMO.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 04:29 PM
With 3 accountants on the board a Football Director isn't a luxury - it's a neccesity

To leave this responsibility down to a transient temp coach and temp players is just living in cloud cuckoo land

The club is the problem for me from the owner downwards. As semi-permanent managers of the club it is they - not Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Yogi or Calderwood that must ultimately be accountable

Coaching teams and players will come and go - but it's the custodians of our football club that make this connection. For me - it's our joint vision that's not being realised

Which clubs in the SPL have a football director?

EasterRoad4Ever
10-01-2011, 04:41 PM
If the Club ever wanted heartfelt feedback from the fans then this thread is the one to read. They (whoever they are) could learn a lot about the current perception of the club, where they are not delivering, and how badly things have spiralled downwards over the last few years.

If Hibs have any interest whatsoever in the thoughts of ardent Hibs fans, where they are falling badly short, then they need to respond to this.

EasterRoad4Ever
10-01-2011, 04:45 PM
some outstanding posts on this thread.

It should be sent over to the club, management team and board take a read please!

seriously, some well written posts without just people moaning or slagging, just people being honest and there's been many many good points made!

Agree 100%. Petrie the Management team and anyone who has any genuine interest in the future of the club should be interested in all these comments. If they are not, then they shouldn't be in office. I'd like to see them respond to these comments.

GreenCastle
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Some good posts here :agree:

I think the problem as mentioned is getting that CONNECTION back.

A CONNECTION to the club - to players who care. A manager who looks like he is bothered. A board who are more pro active (maybe a change to their usual style?).

Without this CONNECTION the club will continue to fall apart, meaning less fans at games, lower SPL position, less ST renewals = less income.

We as supporters need a reason to support the cause :agree:

snooky
10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Some good posts here :agree:

I think the problem as mentioned is getting that CONNECTION back.

A CONNECTION to the club - to players who care. A manager who looks like he is bothered. A board who are more pro active (maybe a change to their usual style?).

Without this CONNECTION the club will continue to fall apart, meaning less fans at games, lower SPL position, less ST renewals = less income.

We as supporters need a reason to support the cause :agree:

To all the above posters - :applause: This must be the most level-headed and honest thread for a long while.

We are all in hibernation (what an appropriate word) just now but let's hope someone out there will give as a rude awakening and shake some life into our great club.

Harold Wilson once said "a week is a long time in politics". Well three good results hard on end can change a season in football. I live in hope.

GGTTH

Hiber-nation
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
We are all in hibernation

:sairhead:

weecounty hibby
10-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I think I have become disconnected with football in general. Players earning £250,000 per week and with an attitude of "I can do anything I want to because of what I do for a living". The modern day footballer has a disconnect with the rest of us due to their over inflated salaries and, in a lot of cases, egos.

We are seeing it just now in our team, who for whatever reason look to be disinterested in playing for Hibs, they may not earn millions but are very well paid for what they do. Be honest how many of us are earning 2/3k per week and bonuses on top, probably not many. There was a thread about Benny Brazil on here yesterday and I could connect with the likes of him. Not a great or even a good player, but tried his socks off and new how lucky he was to be making a living out of football. There a re a number of guys like him that I have seen over the last 37 years watching Hibs who I have connected with for their honest endeavour and will to try even though their ability wasn't the greatest.

BEEJ
10-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Quite simply I won't pay to watch that rubbish on the park. I know a few of the die hards on here will tell me I'm wrong but I have invested £1,000s of pounds over the years in Hibs and quite simply deserve better.

It is really sad when the most exciting part of the past year (football wise) has been watching the new stand go up. Unfortunately that excitement evaporated on the European night when the same old clueless rubbish appeared on the park. I still go into Hibs.net/Edinburgh Evening News site/BBC in the desperate hope some good news will come out such as a signing. I still care but I don't watch out for the results at 4.45 and will check the result when I get a chance.

C'mon Hibs, engage me and thousands like me, tell us you tried to get a player and failed, tell us something, anything but most importantly let us know you care about Hibs as much as we do and you are trying to rectify things.
Many, many great posts on this thread, but I'm picking out this one and particularly the sentence highlighted.

Like other sad individuals, no doubt, I scour various sources of news each day for some shred of evidence that my club is progressing, moving forward even in some small way. A statement of intent from CC or the Board; a promising youngster being given an extended contract or in 'the 18' for the match at the weekend; an astute signing of a player with experience and character who will give us an edge in the trench warfare of a relegation battle that lies ahead of us.

What saddens me is I get none of that. Instead I could have written myself much of the PR material that's emerged over the last few months. The messages are certainly consistent but they're no longer relevant to our current circumstances and they're definitely not inspiring. The club is trying to communicate but its not answering the key questions.

And I believe with the player contract situation, we have put ourselves at a distinct disadvantage in the battle for SPL survival. As has been said before on here, few amongst the squad face the 'fear' of relegation, because most personally will be able to flee the club if it happens. We have left too late the signing of extended contracts for key players, as I would imagine many of them would now think long and hard about such an offer from us while relegation remains a high risk.

And so on the park, a team beset by a lack of confidence and a distinct sense of vulnerability, don't seem to play much for one another but play instead like individuals. And we, the supporters, in our frustration as this accursed phase approaches now a whole year in length, grow increasingly irksome and intolerant.

I'm certain that all the various key parties are working away as hard as they can to resolve the problem. But like PatHead said, I feel completely disengaged with what is going on.

Bishop Hibee
10-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I've never really had any interest in chatting to players, being 'in the know' or corporate hospitality (even when I've been able to afford it :greengrin). Most of my merchandise purchasing is for my bairns.

My identification with Hibs comes through my family who have supported Hibs since the 19th century and my Hibby pals. It's about the culture of being a Hibee, the kind of football we like to see, Leith boozers before and after the game. It's about 'the banter' and catching up with mates. Good football comes rarely to Hibs fans in my experience although this season is as bad as 78/79 or 97/98.

I have a season ticket and as long as I live locally I could never see that changing unless my circumstances changed drastically, Rod hiked the prices up to an even more ridiculous degree or we got some Vlad-type buying the club. The latter would, in my opinion, never happen as Hibs fans would never allow it after the Duff/Grey debacle.

I will be a Hibee 'til I die and my three boys, all Hibees, will carry the baton long after I'm gone.

So yes, since I see Hibernian Football Club as more than the players and the board, I will always identify with it as I'm a part of it and it defines part of who I am.

Andy74
10-01-2011, 10:07 PM
So we lose a few games and everything at the club is wrong?

The board provide their vision every time we issue results or have the AGM. They consistently say that a competitive football team is the main factor behind everything that is done.

I think people choose to ignore this and wheel out the old balance sheet line time and again.

The club are doing very well indeed on the kids front in particular and the club store gear has been pretty good.

A lot of things are better than being presented here but what they can't do is guarantee anything on the pitch and ultimately results and performances will get people connected.

snooky
10-01-2011, 10:35 PM

The board provide their vision every time we issue results or have the AGM. They consistently say that a competitive football team is the main factor behind everything that is done.

I think people choose to ignore this and wheel out the old balance sheet line time and again.

The club are doing very well indeed on the kids front in particular and the club store gear has been pretty good.

A lot of things are better than being presented here but what they can't do is guarantee anything on the pitch and ultimately results and performances will get people connected.

A few? :confused:
Surely it's more than 'a few', Andy ..... and the worry is the way we are losing them.

cad
10-01-2011, 10:52 PM

:top marks Hits the spot Churchy , great post

Leishy1995
10-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Sometimes, I post on this forum willingly, I don't even feel worthy of this thread. Proper passion comes from the fans, we watch through thick and thin, when we can't make it, we watch with suspense as the results come in on skysports. We are the reason the club is a club. We deserve to be heard.

:notworthy:to all those who post before me.

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2011, 07:57 AM

What chance do the club have, we had folk who were not happy when we were winning games?

johnrebus
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
What chance do the club have, we had folk who were not happy when we were winning games?

Precisely.

This has got to be the daftest thread ever in the history of Hibs.net.

Of course I 'identify', with Hibernian Football Club, I'm a Hibs supporter for Christ's sake.

Have been for forty five years and will be till the day I day.

Yes, things are not great at the moment but they have been a hell of a lot worse at various times in the last few years.

There are changes needed and I feel that Rod Petries tenure at Easter Road has nearly run its coarse, but we will survive and come back stronger and continue to plough our uneven furrow for a long time to come.

For anyone on this board who feels that they cannot identify with the club anymore, then bolt.

And don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

:taxi

The Voice Of Reason
11-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I do still identify with Hibernian FC. :agree:

It is a pleasure to take my friends and family along to the "new" Easter Road (including my three kids, who are the future lifeblood of the club).

I think the board do understand the need to re-invest in the team (they are Hibs fans too remember!) however I do agree with the sentiments re the need to read some positive news/spin on this front.

Being totally honest, the Calderwood/Adams "partnership" worries me as they never even knew each other previously. Also, they both (IMHO) seem to lack a bit of "spark" and are very similair characters. Yogi (for all his faults) was at least a positive bubbly character.

I am hopeful though that things on the playing side will take a turn for the better and it will soon feel great to be a Hibbee again :thumbsup:

heretoday
11-01-2011, 08:17 AM
After almost 50 years I think I can say I identify with Hibernian.

But do they identify with me?

Aha now.......

khib70
11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Precisely.

This has got to be the daftest thread ever in the history of Hibs.net.

Of course I 'identify', with Hibernian Football Club, I'm a Hibs supporter for Christ's sake.

Have been for forty five years and will be till the day I day.

Yes, things are not great at the moment but they have been a hell of a lot worse at various times in the last few years.

There are changes needed and I feel that Rod Petries tenure at Easter Road has nearly run its coarse, but we will survive and come back stronger and continue to plough our uneven furrow for a long time to come.

For anyone on this board who feels that they cannot identify with the club anymore, then bolt.

And don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

:taxi
:rolleyes:Aye, well that's us telt then, Uberjohn. Why bother with this discussion business anyway - let's just trust the Board, wear the scarf, bang the drum and everything will be just fine.

And let's not have any more of these pesky threads where people actually look at things with their eyes open, eh?

And aren't you hard with yer taxi smiley?

:blah::blah::blah:

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2011, 08:27 AM
:rolleyes:Aye, well that's us telt then, Uberjohn. Why bother with this discussion business anyway - let's just trust the Board, wear the scarf, bang the drum and everything will be just fine.

And let's not have any more of these pesky threads where people actually look at things with their eyes open, eh?

Maybe if we did that a bit more, instead of spouting so much bile from the first minute to the last, things might just be a tad better?

khib70
11-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Maybe if we did that a bit more, instead of spouting so much bile from the first minute to the last, things might just be a tad better?
Aye, BH. Blind faith is the very thing, right enough.

If you actually read this thread, rather than jumping on a passing bandwagon, you'd see that it's anything but bile. What you have is a selection of intelligent, concerned posts from absolutely committed supporters of the club, who are worried about where we are now.

A couple of weeks ago you'd have been one of them, but you can get a better wind up out of suddenly hijacking Andy 74's position of Board Apologist. Had the majority of posts been pro-Board, you would have delivered an anti-Board diatribe.

Got your number, poster formerly known as Dr Doom.:greengrin

Ernie Cobra
11-01-2011, 09:13 AM

The club is a business (or so we're told) so where is the mission statement from the club, a projection/target for the year in terms of performance expected from the players and management. If we dont know where we're going how the **** do we get there? Or should we just see where we end up by the end of the season. We are in a performance related game, as such targets and benchmarks should be not only expected but paramount.

We are just expected to turn up and pay our money and take whatevers on offer, its utter madness, get this sorted out Hibs. I for one have the least amount of interest i have ever had in Hibs in my life and ive seen some ***** dolled out over the years.

johnrebus
11-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Go back and read the post. Look for the remark about Rod Petrie.

:na na:

(Hope that smiley is hard enough for you)

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Aye, BH. Blind faith is the very thing, right enough.

If you actually read this thread, rather than jumping on a passing bandwagon, you'd see that it's anything but bile. What you have is a selection of intelligent, concerned posts from absolutely committed supporters of the club, who are worried about where we are now.

A couple of weeks ago you'd have been one of them, but you can get a better wind up out of suddenly hijacking Andy 74's position of Board Apologist. Had the majority of posts been pro-Board, you would have delivered an anti-Board diatribe.

Got your number, poster formerly known as Dr Doom.:greengrin

You cant think for one moment i have blind faith? Why is it i'm on the wind up if i support whats happening at the club? Lets take this season out of it for a moment. We were awful before the SUABC campaign, but the club asked for our support, and told us any money taken in would be given to the manager. Our crowds grow, the new training groung gets the go ahead, and the new stand is built.

In between, we qualify for Europe twice and win a cup. Crowds are stable through all this, but we have one bad year and what do we do, we start screaming from the rooftops again? We want Petrie to spend spend spend to get us out this hole, when we are just about to see the benefits of whats been done in the last 5 years.

The whole point of my last post is to point out our support wont support us fully when we are winning, they sure as hell shouldnt listen to them when they are panicking now imo?

The club has had a vision, as much as some would not let you believe it, we are in the final stages of that vision, and again i believe they should not listen to the panic merchants, and carry on with with that vision.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Its threads like this, considered, interesting, provocative debates that make most of the drivel I read on this tie worthwhile – and in a funny sort of way it makes me fell better about things just reading it – because I totally identify with a lot of what has been said.

I struggle to get myself to ER these days, there is so little motivation on my part – I have a ST, and I did make it on Saturday, but kind of wish I hadn’t. Now in the grand of schemes I would class myself and my group of mates as die-hard Hibbies – go to every home game, and up until recently a decent chunk of away games, although that has stopped now. The way I keep thinking is if die-hard fans are feeling this disillusioned, apathetic, disconnected or whatever word you want to use, then we are doing something wrong.

I think the PR at the club is a big issue – I know a little about PR, although I am by no means an expert, but for as long as I can remember, there has been perception that Hibs are not very good at it. An interesting comparison could be made with our neighbours.

On the face of it, their PR is terrible, they are constantly in the news for the wrong reasons, but they are constantly in the news – is there something in this? Most of the news is bad, but they do undeniably have a siege mentality over there and I do wonder how much that has helped them keep their crowds up the way they have done in recent years (ever since Mad Vlad’s halcyon first season). The question is therefore, are Hearts proving the maxim that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Maybe we should leak out more stuff about players, because at least then the fans would start to read about us signing players (and perhaps the other players would too?) – yes there are many fans who have the patience etc to trust that the Board are constantly working away in the background quietly, but maybe that is not enough for many more fans.

Ultimately, and this is, the more I think about it a big problem for clubs such as Hibs, is that a Hibs fan remains a Hibs fan whether he is attending matches or not (i.e. whether he is paying his money or not) so while the Club might like to think that fans who stop attending are stepping away from Hibs, in their minds they are not – they are still Hibs fans. Therefore the Board’s job isn’t to make people Hibs fans, its to find a way of engaging with Hibs fans that makes them want to spend money and attend – I think Hearts and their siege mentality approach (whether that was planned or has come about by accident is irrelevant) has probably worked well.

I’m not a huge critic of the Board, there hasn’t been much that they have done that I have disagreed with, and I think the post SUABC/Mowbray/Collins era was a very successful one in growing crowds etc – that oh so elusive ‘feel good factor’ which personally engaged me more with Hibs than I possibly ever have been before or since.

However maybe they need a new strategy? Maybe something new, to suit our new circumstances is required? We are not the same club as we were then, labouring under a monstrous debt with an uninspiring team and faced with the very real possibility of losing ER, but with the green shoots of recovery appearing with the arrival of a handful of pretty exciting players at the same time.

This is I think is what people mean when they talk about vision – not that we want to have the best team possible on the pitch, that’s not vision that should be item no. 1 on the entire Boards job description.

We need a way to re-energise fans and blow away the cobwebs of apathy. I remember last time we went down, and I remember how engaged the fans were then, once McLeish came in – I remember huge travelling supports at games, and a feeling that we were all helping – my point is that maybe not everything has to be great on the pitch to get the fans engaged off it.

But of course this is only one aspect, and I have to say that personally I find the modern football player a loathsome creature that I largely despise, and ever since the players revolt I have made a conscious effort to never clap the players after games – but that us a symptom of modern football which is bigger than Hibs, as are many of the problems we currently have.

Apologies for length of post, I have just found this post (rather ironically) to be one of the most engaging to appear here for a long time.

Expecting Rain
11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
We`re not entitled to win every match but something is missing at the moment, players wether they agree with the manager or are running their contract down or are aware that they are definitely not in the plans for the future should still have a sense of pride and show a commitment to the present cause, it looks like either indifference or fear could be the reasons that our performances have been so woeful for a while, how are we as fans supposed to get behind the team if it looks like some of them are not that interested.
It is time for the players to reconnect with its supporters by giving 100% on the training ground and on the pitch, showing repect for the manager and competing in a game to the final whistle irrespective of the scoreline, that should be a basic requirement and one which would give us all a platform to build on for the future.

jdships
11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

First class post :top marks
Fot a while I thought it was because of my advanced years that I have been slowly losing interest in Scottish football but on closer scrutiny I believe It is purely and simply the standard of the product on offer

Last night sat down to watch Huns V Killie but spent more time watching the snooker :greengrin
I have said this often and genuinely believe it is one of the major problems in our game - football is part of the entertainment industry yet the views of the paying public are constantly ignored

An attendance last night of app 13000 was interesting !
But then it has been stated that between 30/40% of OF ST holders live outwith Scotland !!

We have to accept we do not have the population in Scotland to allow for 10/15000 bums on seats at every PL march every Saturday.therefore clubs have to live within their means.
The Scottish "product" will never attract the mega rich foreign investors as in England as it doesn't have the exposure of the English PL .

I fear that Scottish PL football in the not too distant future will have a number of " part time " clubs .

What is the real answer to these problems ? That is surely the $64000 dollar question.
For what it is worth I haven't a clue :greengrin:wink:

:confused:

joe breezy
11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hibs were pish when I started supporting them and still pish now.

I'm Hibs and so are my pals and that's what I identify with. I've never really identified with the workings of the club itself. I want the team to do well and want the club to be well run so it's still there in the future but neither of these things are what forges my identity.

Hibs to me is much more than a football team or a football club. It's a big group if friends, trips, memories, nights out, Edinburgh, Leith, loads of stuff I identify with all wrapped up.

joe breezy
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I've never really had any interest in chatting to players, being 'in the know' or corporate hospitality (even when I've been able to afford it :greengrin). Most of my merchandise purchasing is for my bairns.

My identification with Hibs comes through my family who have supported Hibs since the 19th century and my Hibby pals. It's about the culture of being a Hibee, the kind of football we like to see, Leith boozers before and after the game. It's about 'the banter' and catching up with mates. Good football comes rarely to Hibs fans in my experience although this season is as bad as 78/79 or 97/98.

I have a season ticket and as long as I live locally I could never see that changing unless my circumstances changed drastically, Rod hiked the prices up to an even more ridiculous degree or we got some Vlad-type buying the club. The latter would, in my opinion, never happen as Hibs fans would never allow it after the Duff/Grey debacle.

I will be a Hibee 'til I die and my three boys, all Hibees, will carry the baton long after I'm gone.

So yes, since I see Hibernian Football Club as more than the players and the board, I will always identify with it as I'm a part of it and it defines part of who I am.

Where's the Like button :agree:

sh00byd00
11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes i do still feel a connection to the club and can't get my head around those of us berating the current set up like it was the late 80's all over again.

Like someone else touched upon earlier in the post, we have no God given right to expect constant success and like Dundee Utd and Hearts, he have some **** seasons, some ok seasons and dare i say it - some seasons where we'll be playing in Europe.

Disconnected because we're having 'one' of those seasons, nah, i'd have felt disconnected had Mercer's plans panned out, i'd have felt disconnected had some Foreign nutter turned us in to FC Estonia in all but name and I'd have felt disconnected had our club had £30m debt with not a hope in hell of ever paying it back.

Some people really need to have a word with themselves.

Football in general has evolved like everything else in life, so just like the 'everything else in life' part, some people will accept it, some won't.

Leishy1995
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Luckily, in my Hibernian memory, probably my first big one was Le God puting himself in danger, scoring a goal and landing hard, we did destroy the jambos 6-2. I remember that as well. Through good and bad I support, but I personally feel the club becoming more and more distant from the fans, a club that is proud, just the entering a phase where change must come. I never witnessed when we won the league but I was part of the crowd who sang Sunshine on Leith with true passion, If we were to ever unite like that again, we would send shivers down the spines of opposition players, it terrifies me to hear an opposition support on a Sunday give a bit of noise our way.

I earlier said I felt the posters before were right, I still do, but every post so far has at least made sense.

Probably until now to be fair, if nobody gets me ignore me, children should be seen and not heard etc :cool2::flag:

ahibby
13-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Once ahibby always ahibby. Hibs situation is nothing new. In the fifties Hibs had huge crowds who flocked to see a winning side which included the Hibs famous five. As that team dismantled the crowds started to shrink. Those who stopped going who I know/knew still regarded themselves as Hibs people even though the product on the park no longer enticed them to go. This kind of thing has been our History. Even more of a shock would have been to have been around as a Hibs fan circa 1887/1888 when Hibs ceased to exist for a few years. I wonder what the Hibs people did then. My point is that football is cyclical and what goes around comes around (even Man U were relegated in post wwII times and that must have affected their fans). We will all get p******* off with them but we should still be able to identify with them. For the first time a few years ago I became realistic about the club and when told by someone that the OF where no where near as good as they used to be which should stand my club in good stead, I replied hey c'mon it's Hibs we are talking about. I think I identify with them quite well now.