PDA

View Full Version : What Does 'Tried To Resign' Mean?

Speedway
10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Plenty of chat on other Hibs boards about CC having tried twice to resign from the job.

Sources souch as Kane to Jackie Mac and Pat Nevin are being quoted.

What I want to know is, how do you 'try to resign'? Surely, you just resign and walk, as JC did. Does Rod have CC's wife hostage or something?

I think there are rumour mongers who need to re-think the quality of their stories.

Would be interesting if any truth existed in them though eh?

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Plenty of chat on other Hibs boards about CC having tried twice to resign from the job.

What I want to know is, how do you 'try to resign'? Surely, you just resign and walk, as JC did. Does Rod have CC's wife hostage or something?

I think there are rumour mongers who need to re-think the quality of their stories.

I thought the same the other day...

If CC wants to resign he can. Simple. Not even Rod can stop him.

If he said it for effect, to get a reaction, to be talked down, round, then different story. If he was persuaded not to, then you'd imagine there'd have been some concessions, "I'm going to resign unless...."

Golden Bear
10-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Just out of interest - where?

Craig_in_Prague
10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Whilst under a contract if you try to resign, perhaps it means your resignation was not accepted.
Just guessing, but players/managers have contracts and they can't just toddle off from it whenever they've had enough.

When managers 'left by mutual' consent, I guess that's when club and manager agreed the manager can move on and withouth too much legal / contractual fighting.

just a guess though.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Calderwood has probably realised he is way out of his depth at Hibs and wants to walk before he makes things any worse than they already are.

I for one hope he does.

EasterRoad4Ever
10-01-2011, 09:20 AM

If there's any truth in this, then we're stuffed. What trying to resign means, is CC trying to get the Board to let him go by mutual consent - ie agreeing a package to walk away. If cc just resigned he'd get NOTHING and would be in breach of contract.

Jack
10-01-2011, 09:23 AM
CC: I want to resign

Club: You are under contract and we expect you to see it out. The conditions were clearly set out in the negotiations and the contract.

CC: But.

Club: If we sacked you, you would expect compensation. Likewise if you break your contract you will be required to compensate the club.

Club: Thousands, tens of thousands.

Club: Lets see how it goes till the end of the season then we may reconsider.

Personally I cant see it having happened, all due respect to the rumour mongers.

Speedway
10-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Just out of interest - where?

Mad is where it started.

Calderwood has probably realised he is way out of his depth at Hibs and wants to walk before he makes things any worse than they already are.

I for one hope he does.

Took Forest up (club with average crowd higher than entire capacity of ER) but is out of his depth at Hibs?

Hibs is a club with an entire turnover less than Blackburn paid Derby for Christian Dailly years ago.

Who do you think we are?

ahibby
10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
This thread has made me feel dread. There might be something in these rumours after all and if they are true then CC is not the man I hoped he'd be. I hope they are false rumours.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 09:30 AM

I like paul kane, whenever your in the 4 in hand he goes out of his way to be friendly...however he does have an anti board agenda for some reason (believe him an petrie don't get on but no sure if thats true or not :dunno:) and talks some pish to make them look bad so any rumours coming from him i'd take with a pinch of salt.

I don't believe this is true for a second and i hope it's not, he's not made the start we'd hoped but turning hibs around just now is a massive job and was never going to be done in a couple of months without a transfer window.

Speedway
10-01-2011, 09:31 AM
This thread has made me feel dread. There might be something in these rumours after all and if they are true then CC is not the man I hoped he'd be. I hope they are false rumours.

If it's any consolation AH, most rumours are false.

I'd also question that if Kane, McNamara et al did say these things, how would they know?

Golden Bear
10-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Mischief making rumours I would hope.

I certainly can't see a gentleman like Pat Nevin coming out with something like this.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Mad is where it started.

good stuff...it's bound to be a lot of pish then :wink:

(no offence to the guy who runs hibernian mad as i believe he posts on here sometimes it's just they don't have a very high success rate of rumours being true)

James70
10-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Heard a rumour that CC will be gone by the end of the month with Adams taking over till the end of the season. Whether there is any truth in the story or not one thing is for certain, there are very serious problems behind the scenes at ER.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Mischief making rumours I would hope.

I certainly can't see a gentleman like Pat Nevin coming out with something like this.

Out of curiosity any idea if Nevin and Calderwoods paths would have crossed at Chelsea or was Nevin away by the time CC joined them?

Heard a rumour that CC will be gone by the end of the month with Adams taking over till the end of the season. Whether there is any truth in the story or not one thing is for certain, there are very serious problems behind the scenes at ER.

I don't believe your first sentance but i agree with the bit in bold, no idea whats going on but there does definately appear to be deep routed problems, i'm hoping that if we can stem the tide for just now and get rid of the majority of them in the summer it could bring a whole new mindset to the club.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Mad is where it started.

Took Forest up (club with average crowd higher than entire capacity of ER) but is out of his depth at Hibs?

Hibs is a club with an entire turnover less than Blackburn paid Derby for Christian Dailly years ago.

Who do you think we are?

Then got sacked, you forgot to mention that fact, the guy has no knowledge of today's game in Scotland and has admitted that. The fact that he was second/possibly third choice to Petrie is clearly shining through now. The guy has had surely enough time to organise transfers/loans but our serious lack of movement in the january sales tells me that either no one wants to come to us or Calderwood hasnt bothered his arse to organise anything.

And i think we are a proud club with a fighting spirit. For about a year now we have shown NO fight and NO spirit, I agree that a big part of this is due to the players but its Calderwoods job to motivate them and if im honest we are in a worse state now than we were with yogi, and by the way, thats also the same set of players that got us into europe last season. Come the end of january when i have no doubt we will probably have a couple of hasbeens from the Newcastle reserves on loan and spent probably about a fiver on a couple of european duds things are just going to get worse and alot more people will start to agree with me on this one. I'll stick by what ive said and thats that i honestly think CC's lack of experience and knowledge of our game is going to be our downfall.

We have spent a good bit of money improving the club off the field and completely ignored the fact that the basis of any succesful football club comes from what happens ON the pitch. Hibs just now look like we are using our shiny new east mains facility for nothing more than a free lunch and a game of tiddlywinks.

Speedway
10-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I like paul kane, whenever your in the 4 in hand he goes out of his way to be friendly...however he does have an anti board agenda for some reason (believe him an petrie don't get on but no sure if thats true or not :dunno:) and talks some pish to make them look bad so any rumours coming from him i'd take with a pinch of salt.

I don't believe this is true for a second and i hope it's not, he's not made the start we'd hoped but turning hibs around just now is a massive job and was never going to be done in a couple of months without a transfer window.

Perhaps because RP punted him as a coach?

Golden Bear
10-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Out of curiosity any idea if Nevin and Calderwoods paths would have crossed at Chelsea or was Nevin away by the time CC joined them?

I don't believe your first sentance but i agree with the bit in bold, no idea whats going on but there does definately appear to be deep routed problems, i'm hoping that if we can stem the tide for just now and get rid of the majority of them in the summer it could bring a whole new mindset to the club.

:agree:

A joint "clear the air" statement should be made by Petrie, Calderwood and Hogg (he's still the Captain)

Speedway
10-01-2011, 09:59 AM
1.Then got sacked, you forgot to mention that fact, the guy has no knowledge of today's game in Scotland and has admitted that. The fact that he was second/possibly third choice to Petrie is clearly shining through now. The guy has had surely enough time to organise transfers/loans but our serious lack of movement in the january sales tells me that either 2.no one wants to come to us or Calderwood hasnt bothered his arse to organise anything.

3. And i think we are a proud club with a fighting spirit. For about a year now we have shown NO fight and NO spirit, I agree that a big part of this is due to the players but its Calderwoods job to motivate them and if im honest we are in a worse state now than we were with yogi, and by the way, thats also the 4.same set of players that got us into europe last season. Come the end of january when i have no doubt we will probably have a couple of hasbeens from the Newcastle reserves on loan and spent probably about a fiver on a couple of european duds things are just going to get worse and alot more people will start to agree with me on this one. I'll stick by what ive said and thats that i honestly think CC's lack of experience and knowledge of our game is going to be our downfall.

We have spent a good bit of money improving the club off the field and completely ignored the fact that the basis of any succesful football club comes from what happens ON the pitch. Hibs just now look like we are using our shiny new east mains facility for nothing more than a free lunch and a game of tiddlywinks.

1. Indeed, after taking a bigger club than us up. Why would he be 'out of his depth' on that basis?

2. That's the one.

3. When have we demonstrated that since HOH 20 years ago?

4. No it's not. It's minus 23 of the goals and the most saleable defender.

hibs0666
10-01-2011, 10:03 AM
one thing is for certain, there are very serious problems behind the scenes at ER.

Why is it certain? Where is the evidence that all is not well behind the scenes?

greenlex
10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Then got sacked, you forgot to mention that fact, the guy has no knowledge of today's game in Scotland and has admitted that. The fact that he was second/possibly third choice to Petrie is clearly shining through now. The guy has had surely enough time to organise transfers/loans but our serious lack of movement in the january sales tells me that either no one wants to come to us or Calderwood hasnt bothered his arse to organise anything.

And i think we are a proud club with a fighting spirit. For about a year now we have shown NO fight and NO spirit, I agree that a big part of this is due to the players but its Calderwoods job to motivate them and if im honest we are in a worse state now than we were with yogi, and by the way, thats also the same set of players that got us into europe last season. Come the end of january when i have no doubt we will probably have a couple of hasbeens from the Newcastle reserves on loan and spent probably about a fiver on a couple of european duds things are just going to get worse and alot more people will start to agree with me on this one. I'll stick by what ive said and thats that i honestly think CC's lack of experience and knowledge of our game is going to be our downfall.

There are dozens if not hundreds of managers sacked a while after being successful at bigger clubs than hibs that have no experience of Scottish football. Wouldnt make them out of their depth. Benitez? Toshack? Houghton? Hodgson?

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I'll bite my tongue just now on this one but i guarantee you in 4 months time you will agree with me. I've never before in all my time seen such a gutless Hibs team than the one we have just now.

MrSmith
10-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I genuinley believe CC will be away soon. Evidence? His body language on and off field, players are not performing for him, post match interviews and the very fact he has done nothing, so far, in this transfer window.

Maybe bringing Adams in was an indication that CC wasn't up for or up to the job??

hibs0666
10-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I'll bite my tongue just now on this one but i guarantee you in 4 months time you will agree with me. I've never before in all my time seen such a gutless Hibs team than the one we have just now.

It's been gutless for a year now so you cannot pin that one on the existing manager.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:15 AM
It's been gutless for a year now so you cannot pin that one on the existing manager.

so how did john hughes manage to get them playing well for a while and get us into europe?

JimBHibees
10-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Its the SPL not La Liga, football is football. His experience in England is good both as a player and as a manager and assistant manager at a good level to say just because he doesnt know who plays right back for St Mirren means he cant do the job is IMO nonsense. The guy needs a bit of time to bring in his own and a couple of results as the meerkats say 'simples'.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
so how did john hughes manage to get them playing well for a while and get us into europe?

We very rarely played well under Hughes, even under the winning streak that got us into europe we rode our luck big time, there were obviously a few exceptions to this but in general we weren't very good at all under hughes.

Since then we've got rid of Benji and stokes and brought in one replacement who got injured before he'd kicked a ball, we've also been missing zemmama during this time so it's definately not the same team since the start of last season.

greenlex
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Europe aye. Playing well? I must have missed that. Aye we got results( and I would settle fir a wee run of that right now) but we were not playing well. The odd flashes here and there but CC has also managed that.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Its the SPL not La Liga, football is football. His experience in England is good both as a player and as a manager and assistant manager at a good level to say just because he doesnt know who plays right back for St Mirren means he cant do the job is IMO nonsense. The guy needs a bit of time to bring in his own and a couple of results as the meerkats say 'simples'.

Surely then he can see that Hibs need new blood in the team, this would be blatantly obvious to even the likes of david blunket if he were in charge, We are 10 days into the transfer window now and nothing is being done. As you say football is football and you are right, it is the spl not la liga, but in this case its the spl not league 1/championship where it is a different game, this is showing now with the lack of enthusiasm coming from not only CC but from our team.

CropleyWasGod
10-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Surely then he can see that Hibs need new blood in the team, this would be blatantly obvious to even the likes of david blunket if he were in charge, We are 10 days into the transfer window now and nothing is being done. As you say football is football and you are right, it is the spl not la liga, but in this case its the spl not league 1/championship where it is a different game, this is showing now with the lack of enthusiasm coming from not only CC but from our team.

Do you know this?

eastmainsmsh
10-01-2011, 10:27 AM

As soon as Houghton lands another Job CC will be away :wink:

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Europe aye. Playing well? I must have missed that. Aye we got results( and I would settle fir a wee run of that right now) but we were not playing well. The odd flashes here and there but CC has also managed that.

I would say Hibs played alot better than they are now. Hughes got good stuff from the likes of Miller and McBride and Hanlon and a few others but these guys are giving NOTHING to the cause right now.

Calderwood has done NOTHING to improve Hibs. At the end of the day, thats his job and he's not done it. Dont give me this the boy needs more time pish either he's had enough time to give the squad a boot up the jeer but he's not done/doing it.

Jim44
10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Much as I detest arch Jambo, Stuart Bathgate, he points a very strong accusing finger at Rod Petrie, questioning his manager appointing skills and support. Headline is "Hibs failings put the chaiman in spotlight." Rod won't like it and maybe this might just expedite matters a tad.

Pretty Boy
10-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I was told on Saturday that CC is close to walking/being punted.

The guy who told me is just a normal punter but he knows a couple of folk on the non playing staff at ER.

No idea if it's true or not and the guy who told me has been both right and wrong in the past. Dismissed it initially but if other folk are hearing similar it's probably worth mentioning.

Part/Time Supporter
10-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Let's just think through the implication of what you're saying - Calderwood leaves. It normally takes about 2-3 weeks to get a a new manager in. By that time, the window will either be closed or in the last week, giving the new manager that little time to assess the squad, identify new players and bring them in.

Please engage your brain for a nanosecond before posting in future.

greenlex
10-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I would say Hibs played alot better than they are now. Hughes got good stuff from the likes of Miller and McBride and Hanlon and a few others but these guys are giving NOTHING to the cause right now.

Calderwood has done NOTHING to improve Hibs. At the end of the day, thats his job and he's not done it. Dont give me this the boy needs more time pish either he's had enough time to give the squad a boot up the jeer but he's not done/doing it.
How do you know he's not giving them the boot? Maybe the boot ain't working. Maybe the players are a lost cause.

ancient hibee
10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I know these are desperate times but this is really garbage.

GreenPJ
10-01-2011, 10:35 AM

I think Hanlon is performing and Wotherspoon is starting to look back to his old (young) self when he comes on. I agree there has been little reaction to a new manager as you normally expect but we were poor under Hughes and we are still poor under Calderwood. The consistent is the board and the players therefore an opportunity to change a significant proportion of the players in the summer will be the barometer to measure whether Calderwood is good or not.

StevieC
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM

We got into Europe because Dundee United put their reserve team out to play us.

We played well at the start of the season and "gobbed" a few lucky results as well. After that it was free-fall as we desperately tried to hang on to points accrued.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Let's just think through the implication of what you're saying - Calderwood leaves. It normally takes about 2-3 weeks to get a a new manager in. By that time, the window will either be closed or in the last week, giving the new manager that little time to assess the squad, identify new players and bring them in.

Please engage your brain for a nanosecond before posting in future.

Have you had the pleasure of watching Hibs this season? The same players got us into europe by grinding out results and getting vital wins, yes, THE SAME bunch of players done this. Any manager with a proven track record in Scotland and at least a wee bit more enthusiasm than Calderwood would probably get the engine going again.

StevieC
10-01-2011, 10:45 AM
We are 10 days into the transfer window now and nothing is being done.

How do you know nothings being done?

Players need to leave before new players can be brought in. At the moment only one player has left, although others have been told to find a new club. If the "others" dont find a new club then there's not much room for movement until the end of the season when contracts are up.

WindyMiller
10-01-2011, 10:47 AM

CC played for Swindon at that time so they may have played against each other, but may also have been Scottish team-mates.

StevieC
10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Have you had the pleasure of watching Hibs this season? The same players got us into europe by grinding out results and getting vital wins, yes, THE SAME bunch of players done this. Any manager with a proven track record in Scotland and at least a wee bit more enthusiasm than Calderwood would probably get the engine going again.

Did you watch them last season?

:confused:

brog
10-01-2011, 10:48 AM
So Mixu was a crap manager at ER & now he's a genius at Killie. Yogi did a great job at Falkirk & failed at ER. JC won us a trophy scoring 5 goals in a final & walked away. Spot a common thread?
It's ridiculous IMO to always blame it on the management. It's also ridiculous to question the likes of Hanlon, the central defender who was in the 6 yard box to score against Arabs, for a lack of commitment. The fact is we've sold the family silver, reinvested a good chunk in infrastructure but forgot to invest in the main area, the playing side. Every manager will struggle with the current squad. FWIW I think these rumours are scarcely credible, many of the posts are re-cycled from other posts on here anyway! However we do need to see some tangible signs of improvement plus investment in the squad to encourage the fans & shut off these rumours at source.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Players need to leave before new players can be brought in. At the moment only one player has left, although others have been told to find a new club. If the "others" dont find a new club then there's not much room for movement until the end of the season when contracts are up.

It is Hibs you are talking about here isnt it?

Vini1875
10-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't think the lack of movement in the transfer window indicates anything. There is very little going on in Scotland as a whole. I would imagine that a lot of players and agents bide their time to see if they can get a better deal elsewhere. I would be worried though if we get close to the end of the transfer without anything happening. We certainly need some good news coming out of ER right now.

RIP
10-01-2011, 10:50 AM
How many coaches will come and go before Rod wakes up to the fact that eventually nobody worth their salt will actually want the job at Easter Road? There's an increasingly bad smell about the football side of the business under this present regime and has been for most of the past 10 years

The last 4 coaches all worked hard but they were up against a negative and damaging culture at Easter Road. Mowbray tried a major bottom up motivation and culture change programme. Collins tried fitness, diet and ambition. Mixu tried befriending the players. Yogi talked the talk.

All four had a long term plan to overhaul the whole football strategy but only Mowbray was around long enough to make a sustained difference in the squad.

For years now an increasing number of Hibs supporters have been asking for a more fundamental root and branch change from the top down to address the culture of failure. It's my view that until this is addressed by Sir Tom, replacing one coaching team every year with another is like putting a sticky plaster on a broken leg

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Did you watch them last season?

:confused:

course i did, check my earlier posts.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 10:54 AM
How many coaches will come and go before Rod wakes up to the fact that eventually nobody worth their salt will actually want the job at Easter Road? There's an increasingly bad smell about the football side of the business under this present regime and has been for most of the past 10 years

The last 4 coaches all worked hard but they were up against a negative and damaging culture at Easter Road. Mowbray tried a major bottom up motivation and culture change programme. Collins tried fitness, diet and ambition. Mixu tried befriending the players. Yogi talked the talk.

All four had a long term plan to overhaul the whole football strategy but only Mowbray was around long enough to make a sustained difference in the squad.

For years now an increasing number of Hibs supporters have been asking for a more fundamental root and branch change from the top down to address the culture of failure. It's my view that until this is addressed by Sir Tom, replacing one coaching team every year with another is like putting a sticky plaster on a broken leg

Eventually this will become self-evident, if we don't see an upwards improvement beforehand.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
We got into Europe because Dundee United put their reserve team out to play us.

We played well at the start of the season and "gobbed" a few lucky results as well. After that it was free-fall as we desperately tried to hang on to points accrued.

We qualified for Europe because we took enough points from all the games, and managed to finish 4th. Whats the difference in playing well at the start of the season and finishing badly, or starting badly and finishing well, and making Europe? It seems we are the only team who gets good luck, but every other side is unlucky?:confused:

Yet now the results are bad, we are pish, but not unlucky. Its strange that eh?:wink:

Jim44
10-01-2011, 10:57 AM

You're technically right here Stevie, but in the dire circumstances we are in where relegation is much more than a possibility, Petrie might have to take steps to allow Calderwood, if he is staying, to improve the squad while having to hold on to players he can't get rid of. It might go against every principle he leads his fiscally driven life by but if it costs money to avoid the drop then maybe he has no other option. :dunno:

ahibby
10-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I can't believe that CC would walk before he has brought in any players of his own. That would be incredible if it happens and if it does happen I think it would make Hibs look even more icompetent which you would think would be hard to achieve considering the events of the last three or four years. The body language of CC on Saturday might add weight to this rumour or it could be simply his way. I'm sicker than a parrot because of this rumour.

borstalboy
10-01-2011, 11:00 AM

The majority of players done this but you seem to miss the point that we no longer have the 20 goal a year striker. That makes a huge difference when you take his goals out and replace him with nobody........

You can only "p1ss with the c*ck given to you" springs to mind. Can't expect wonders from a team that depended on Riordan and Stokes goals last year to only Riordan this year and expect any better from the same bunch of players.

ahibby
10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
We qualified for Europe because we took enough points from all the games, and managed to finish 4th. Whats the difference in playing well at the start of the season and finishing badly, or starting badly and finishing well, and making Europe? It seems we are the only team who gets good luck, but every other side is unlucky?:confused:

Yet now the results are bad, we are pish, but not unlucky. Its strange that eh?:wink:

You are right but it is also true that if we hadn't beaten DU that day we would not have qualified and they did put out a weakened side having already secured Europe. On the other hand we were the team in the position to take advantage of DU's SPL day off and in my view that ground work for that had been done between August and December.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 11:04 AM
The majority of players done this but you seem to miss the point that we no longer have the 20 goal a year striker. That makes a huge difference when you take his goals out and replace him with nobody........

You can only "p1ss with the c*ck given to you" springs to mind. Can't expect wonders from a team that depended on Riordan and Stokes goals last year to only Riordan this year and expect any better from the same bunch of players.

Thats the point im trying to make, the long and short of it is that we need new blood. Surely Petrie knows that and i hope to god Calderwood does too.

GreenPJ
10-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Like all sport momentum and confidence is key. We have momentum at the moment sadly its in the wrong direction and there is no confidence.

ahibby
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM

I completely disagree with you on all points. I think the effort has improved and the only other major difference that CC could be expected to make with the current situation is to replace some of the dead wood with his own, hopefully better players. There hasn't been time to do that yet and RP does the signing so not really a fault that can be laid at CC's door is it.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
You are right but it is also true that if we hadn't beaten DU that day we would not have qualified and they did put out a weakened side having already secured Europe. On the other hand we were the team in the position to take advantage of DU's SPL day off and in my view that ground work for that had been done between August and December.

I accept United put out a weaker side on the last day of the season. Thats one game out of them all. Motherwell scored 6 against us the wednesday before, and couldnt beat us, how crap must they have been? You get what you earn in this league, nobody is saying Rangers were lucky to win the league, they earnt enough points over the whole season to do so. We just happened to get the majority of ours early, and accumulated enough to finish 4th.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Like all sport momentum and confidence is key. We have momentum at the moment sadly its in the wrong direction and there is no confidence.

smurf
10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not a body language expert but i thought Colin Calderwood looked like a lost soul in our technical area on Saturday.

His manner is obviously one much more controlled and restrained than a Hughes or a Mixu and hopefully in the longer term this is a good sign.

I'd suggest he's pretty exasperated at the dross he's having to work with.

StevieC
10-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Whats the difference in playing well at the start of the season and finishing badly, or starting badly and finishing well, and making Europe?

One is a team on the up and improving, the other is a team heading downwards.

Unfortunately we have fallen into the latter.

StevieC
10-01-2011, 11:23 AM
You're technically right here Stevie, but in the dire circumstances we are in where relegation is much more than a possibility, Petrie might have to take steps to allow Calderwood, if he is staying, to improve the squad while having to hold on to players he can't get rid of. It might go against every principle he leads his fiscally driven life by but if it costs money to avoid the drop then maybe he has no other option. :dunno:

You could be right, but if he is going to do it he's going to wait till the last possible minute. :wink:

Baader
10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
It's probably sack or back. I am having misgivings about Calderwood's abilities given what I've seen - thought he could lift us even slightly which I just don't think has been the case. But for us to be looking for a 3rd manager this season would be a complete disaster. The board need to back the manager and regardless of the outcome, have a good look at what they've done concerning footballing matters over the past 5 years.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 11:27 AM
One is a team on the up and improving, the other is a team heading downwards.

Unfortunately we have fallen into the latter.

I understand that Stevie, and i understand we have had a horrendous year. I just think we shouldn't be playing down what little success we did have last season. I'm not aware of any team thats lucky to finish 4th 3rd or even 1st, you get what you deserve imo.

Yogi must have been some manager to get that lot to qualify for Europe?:wink:

ahibby
10-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Please elaborate on this; exactly what are the certain serious problems that lie behind the scenes at ER. I would be very interested to know the detail.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
You get what you earn in this league, nobody is saying Rangers were lucky to win the league, they earnt enough points over the whole season to do so. We just happened to get the majority of ours early, and accumulated enough to finish 4th.

Clinched a Europa League place on the last day of the league season, got drawn against Maribor, left Stokes & Riordan on the bench for the 1st leg. FT - Europa League campaign over!

Nae bad luck involved there.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Please elaborate on this; exactly what are the certain serious problems that lie behind the scenes at ER. I would be very interested to know the detail.

Me too. Personally i just think we don't have enough good players, especially from the midfield forward.

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I completely disagree with you on all points. I think the effort has improved and the only other major difference that CC could be expected to make with the current situation is to replace some of the dead wood with his own, hopefully better players. There hasn't been time to do that yet and RP does the signing so not really a fault that can be laid at CC's door is it.

Well thats clearly a difference of opinion then because effort is not a word i would connect Hibs to this season. I could name alot of performances this season but the one that completely disgusts me the most was the derby at Easter Road, where was the effort you speak of in this game? surely a game that the players would be up for.

ahibby
10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
It's probably sack or back. I am having misgivings about Calderwood's abilities given what I've seen - thought he could lift us even slightly which I just don't think has been the case. But for us to be looking for a 3rd manager this season would be a complete disaster. The board need to back the manager and regardless of the outcome, have a good look at what they've done concerning footballing matters over the past 5 years.

Assuming that CC is staying is it not the case that he has a fine problem to solve? He needs them to play in a manner in which we can get goals to win games and not give silly goals away (which we have been guilty of). I don't think he can achieve that with out bringing in new players because the current bunch are not capable of that are they? We haven't replaced Stokes 20 goals and we have lost our main CH who could be eratic at times but never the less our best in recent times. We need to sort the player side of things out and if that doesn't work then we should look at CC, in my view. CC must have known what he was walking in to and that players have to be found. He should surely have received some encouraging agreement from the Board before taking the job other wise he wouldn't be a very sharp tool at all (maybe just otherwise a tool).

smurf
10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Me too. Personally i just think we don't have enough good players, especially from the midfield forward.

Really? Genuinely?

Who has ball winning skills in midfield?

Who has the creativity in midfield?

Who from Midfield is getting in the box supporting the forwards?

Who up front can poach goals?

Who up front has presence to hold and create for those around them?

Our only threat is Derek Riordan. We are looking for a bit of magic from him all the bloody time.

And if its not happening for him (as Saturday) then that's us.

It's not happening for us.

Ray_
10-01-2011, 11:44 AM

With the manner that we lose goals, I think our problem start from the right back and goes on from there, right through the team.

Greenheart
10-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I for one hope he does.

So do I surely there is better out there than him. Might be a nice bloke but not a Hibs manager

ahibby
10-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Well thats clearly a difference of opinion then because effort is not a word i would connect Hibs to this season. I could name alot of performances this season but the one that completely disgusts me the most was the derby at Easter Road, where was the effort you speak of in this game? surely a game that the players would be up for.

Hearts are third top of the league and in touch with the OF, I don't need to tell you that. We are languishing at the bottom end and I don't need to tell you that either. I mention those things though because it explains why we were so poor against them. We don't have the players to take them on and I am sure CC wants rid of some. It was also very near to the start of his tenure and considering he has never managed a team in the SPL and that he was up against one of the most experienced managers in the SPL it wasn't really all that surprising. Considering the money Hearts are spending on wages their players motivation should be through the roof compared with ours, although that shouldn't be the only factor in motivation. I'll concede that there has been less fight against Hearts now than under Mixu for sure, and maybe under Yogi but both of those managers had players on the park which they brought to the club. Usually players play better for managers who bring them in, not always but you can understand why that is the case. I look forward to better performances against Hearts under CC whether or not he manages to bring in players in January and if I am wrong about that I will put my hand up.

Littlest Hobo
10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
All very depressing

loanheadhibby
10-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Maybe it is something else Blunderwood is not very good at? Picking Teams, Motivate the team, decide on tactics, signing players, picking his own assistant manager etc etc?

borstalboy
10-01-2011, 12:00 PM
So do I surely there is better out there than him. Might be a nice bloke but not a Hibs manager

Huh?!......so who is this so called "Hibs Manager" that you wish for that would be soo much better?? Realisticly speaking.

I personally would have went with Craig Brown for his experience, however, I don't think Calderwood is a bad choice (however, only time will tell on that front).

el capitano
10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
easter road is turning into a graveyard for players and managers. no confidence from the stands to the pitch and no form on the pitch to give us encouragement to support.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 12:07 PM
picking his own assistant manager etc etc?

He did pick his own assistant though :confused:

Speedway
10-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Huh?!......so who is this so called "Hibs Manager" that you wish for that would be soo much better?? Realisticly speaking.

I personally would have went with Craig Brown for his experience, however, I don't think Calderwood is a bad choice (however, only time will tell on that front).

Pa Broon was asked. Told us where to go.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 12:08 PM

He was quite enigmatic about it as well... I wonder why?

rubber mal
10-01-2011, 12:12 PM

I for one hope he does.

I for one think you're talking pish.

loanheadhibby
10-01-2011, 12:12 PM
He did pick his own assistant though :confused:

Had never met or even knew Adams! More likely Petire appointed him as is his right as Chairman.

But again, If I am offered a job like Hibs, I want my mate standing next to me, not someone foisted on me by the chairman. Every where Jeffries goes he takes Brown, Brown takes Knox, Gus Macpherson takes Andy Millen, Jimmy Calderwood takes Nichol and Clark.

Green_one
10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I do not believe CC is about to resign

He might well have threatened RP, which would be a good thing, as someone needs to get blood out of that stone.

I think any manager would look at the long term position and relish the opportunity. We are almost at zero, so its easy to improve. Resigning this early would impact his future employability.

He needs to dig in meantime and get some cash from Rod.

BEEJ
10-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe it is something else Blunderwood is not very good at? Picking Teams, Motivate the team, decide on tactics, signing players, picking his own assistant manager etc etc?
Not at all necessary.

Give it a rest, eh.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Had never met or even knew Adams! More likely Petire appointed him as is his right as Chairman.

But again, If I am offered a job like Hibs, I want my mate standing next to me, not someone foisted on me by the chairman. Every where Jeffries goes he takes Brown, Brown takes Knox, Gus Macpherson takes Andy Millen, Jimmy Calderwood takes Nichol and Clark.

No danger! You're saying Petrie suggested that Adams would be his assistant?

smurf
10-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Why do you think this was the case?

We are historically a big club in Scotland.

We are a capital city club.

Best run club in Scotland. (We are told)

Financially "Rock Solid" finances.

Best Stadium out of Glasgow.

Excellent Training Centre.

And outwith the Old Firm and Credit Card Yams the largest wage bill.

So why wouldn't he even speak to us?

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Isn't he close personal friends with Stewart Milne?

JimBHibees
10-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Because he was reading .net one day and there was this guy going on and on about how poor the Board were. :greengrin

smurf
10-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Isn't he close personal friends with Stewart Milne?

News to me?

Speedway
10-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Or indeed Yogi takes Rice.

I do not believe CC is about to resign

He might well have threatened RP, which would be a good thing, as someone needs to get blood out of that stone.

I think any manager would look at the long term position and relish the opportunity. We are almost at zero, so its easy to improve. Resigning this early would impact his future employability.

He needs to dig in meantime and get some cash from Rod.

Hope so.

He didn't want to 'wear the suit'.

smurf
10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Because he was reading .net one day and there was this guy going on and on about how poor the Board were. :greengrin

:greengrin:wink:

I'm just genuinely curious as to why folk think Pa Broon wouldn't even entertain us?

smurf
10-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Or indeed Yogi takes Rice.

Hope so.

He didn't want to 'wear the suit'.

:faf:

Who was the last Hibs Manager to wear a tracksuit? Boaby?

Speedway
10-01-2011, 12:30 PM
:greengrin:wink:

I'm just genuinely curious as to why folk think Pa Broon wouldn't even entertain us?

He's a Yam.

Albion Hibs
10-01-2011, 12:34 PM
So Mixu was a crap manager at ER & now he's a genius at Killie. Yogi did a great job at Falkirk & failed at ER. JC won us a trophy scoring 5 goals in a final & walked away. Spot a common thread?
It's ridiculous IMO to always blame it on the management. It's also ridiculous to question the likes of Hanlon, the central defender who was in the 6 yard box to score against Arabs, for a lack of commitment. The fact is we've sold the family silver, reinvested a good chunk in infrastructure but forgot to invest in the main area, the playing side. Every manager will struggle with the current squad. FWIW I think these rumours are scarcely credible, many of the posts are re-cycled from other posts on here anyway! However we do need to see some tangible signs of improvement plus investment in the squad to encourage the fans & shut off these rumours at source.

I agree with most of above. I have not heard the same rumour with regards to Calderwood leaving, but I can believe it would be true. I have also heard rumours about deals almost being done for 1 player if not two to come in that fell by the wayside given the way things are looking at the club - mentality, support levels, atmosphere etc.

I think the time has come were the fans need to take some accountability for what has gone on over the past few years which has left us where we are now. We have aspirations for the club that at times are not realistic given the budgets we set and the way we run. Our constant sacking of managers is only going to lead to the 'newcastle effect' where the job becomes one that managers think ‘why would I want it’, I said that at the time when most on here were screaming for Yogis head, and it may have proved to be right with the recent snub from Brown.

The fact that people on here are already asking for Calderwood head / casting real doubts over him is a really poor reflection of us. We have now begun turning on players like Riordan, the board and some threads about even Farmer - it is ridiculous.

Our constant sack, sack, sack approach has left us with a vision on the field that reflect 3 or 4 different managers, and it has finally come to a stage where Calderwood is left holding the can. He signed a long deal and I expect the board to back him and reflect the confidence of giving him a long contract. Only when he has had a chance will I judge him.

There is always going to be the questions over what other managers would have done or brought in - Mixu and his knowledge of Finish players, would Yogi have the team more up for it, would Nish have scored on Saturday to move us through to the next round? We have no right to ask those questions, as we are now left with what we asked for, perhaps the board has to take some of the blame for caving in, but when we simply walk away we leave them with little choice. So it is time to shut up and support the club through this time and ask the manager, the board and the players to show the same.

Walking away or chucking it is what some fans have chosen to do, their choice I respect that, but we cant get on at the aforementioned for that if we do it ourselves IMO. My honest belief is everything is very low at the moment, we have some good players, and it is obvious that it is now really effecting them as they are better than we have seen recently. If we can land a couple of players this window I think it will boost the team in terms of not only staff, but confidence, and from there we will push on.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
1. Indeed, after taking a bigger club than us up. Why would he be 'out of his depth' on that basis?

2. That's the one.

3. When have we demonstrated that since HOH 20 years ago?

4. No it's not. It's minus 23 of the goals and the most saleable defender.

There have been a few negative stories about Stokes but the bottom line is we really miss him. Since he left, we've only had one goal threat (Riordan) who must be around the same mark as this time last year. I don't know what Nish/Trakys/Duffy's combined total is but it must be a long way of where Stokes was.

Even when we were on a good run last season, we weren't playing well every week and alot of the time the only difference between us and other teams was Stokes nicking a goal. I remember Yogi saying 'we'll always score a goal...', and he was right but it would be laughable if CC said that at the moment.

woodyloon
10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
When I first read this topic I thought it was totally unbelieveable.

However as the topic gets more replies I started to think that there might, just might have a hint of truth behind it.
Maybe CC noticed how hard the job was going to be at a very early stage, and maybe he did then start voicing his concerns with RP, hence the rumour that he has tried at least twice to get out of the job.

The other thing that I found strange was who was appointed as his No2,( I thought he would of wanted to stay as a manager) infact I would of been more than happy if it had been Derek Adam's getting the Managers job when it was available.
So maybe CC did not appoint him as No2, it might of been as a safety net just incase CC did or does decide to walk away.

A lot of maybes I agree but the more arms and legs that get attached then suudenly you can start to appreciate why this rumour might have some truth about it. Then again CC might just bring in 3,4 or 5 new players and start forming the foundations of his team.

Hibee Daz
10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Assuming that CC is staying is it not the case that he has a fine problem to solve? He needs them to play in a manner in which we can get goals to win games and not give silly goals away (which we have been guilty of). I don't think he can achieve that with out bringing in new players because the current bunch are not capable of that are they? We haven't replaced Stokes 20 goals and we have lost our main CH who could be eratic at times but never the less our best in recent times. We need to sort the player side of things out and if that doesn't work then we should look at CC, in my view. CC must have known what he was walking in to and that players have to be found. He should surely have received some encouraging agreement from the Board before taking the job other wise he wouldn't be a very sharp tool at all (maybe just otherwise a tool).

Good post, I totally agree CC would have been more than made aware of the dire state of our club on the playing side of things and that he must have been happy with the budget/facilites being made available for him to do a competent job!

I don't subscribe to these rumours as nobody worth their own salt would damage their reputation by taking on a job and then quit it a couple of months later because the chips are down, what would that say about the mans integrity it would be career suicide IMO.

We just have to be patient and keep the faith as there are still 3 weeks left in this transfer window, a lot can happen between now and the end of Jan.

Lago
10-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Thank goodness, someone talkinf sense at last.

ALF TUPPER
10-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm reading with interests all the postings. You are all much better informed than me and closer to what happens down ER way.

Am just puzzled as to how we can be so bad, coaches are so poor, players are crap etc/... etc/.. that we can turn up at Hunbrox and stuff them 3-0. They couldnt get the ball of us .....

How can it work that night but not any other game.

Am :confused: confused is all. * saddens me whats happening at the moment TBH *

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with most of above. I have not heard the same rumour with regards to Calderwood leaving, but I can believe it would be true. I have also heard rumours about deals almost being done for 1 player if not two to come in that fell by the wayside given the way things are looking at the club - mentality, support levels, atmosphere etc.

I think the time has come were the fans need to take some accountability for what has gone on over the past few years which has left us where we are now. We have aspirations for the club that at times are not realistic given the budgets we set and the way we run. Our constant sacking of managers is only going to lead to the 'newcastle effect' where the job becomes one that managers think ‘why would I want it’, I said that at the time when most on here were screaming for Yogis head, and it may have proved to be right with the recent snub from Brown.

The fact that people on here are already asking for Calderwood head / casting real doubts over him is a really poor reflection of us. We have now begun turning on players like Riordan, the board and some threads about even Farmer - it is ridiculous.

Our constant sack, sack, sack approach has left us with a vision on the field that reflect 3 or 4 different managers, and it has finally come to a stage where Calderwood is left holding the can. He signed a long deal and I expect the board to back him and reflect the confidence of giving him a long contract. Only when he has had a chance will I judge him.

There is always going to be the questions over what other managers would have done or brought in - Mixu and his knowledge of Finish players, would Yogi have the team more up for it, would Nish have scored on Saturday to move us through to the next round? We have no right to ask those questions, as we are now left with what we asked for, perhaps the board has to take some of the blame for caving in, but when we simply walk away we leave them with little choice. So it is time to shut up and support the club through this time and ask the manager, the board and the players to show the same.

Walking away or chucking it is what some fans have chosen to do, their choice I respect that, but we cant get on at the aforementioned for that if we do it ourselves IMO. My honest belief is everything is very low at the moment, we have some good players, and it is obvious that it is now really effecting them as they are better than we have seen recently. If we can land a couple of players this window I think it will boost the team in terms of not only staff, but confidence, and from there we will push on.

A glass half full post if ever there was. And I find myself agreeing with some of it too.

If we don't remain positive and supportive, it's all over. But this is a HUGE month for the Hibs, as you said a couple of decent players to pull us to safety and we can look forward. Without that investment it will be a roller-coaster til May. We cannot afford to be relegated...

Whatever your viewpoint though, it does suggest that things in the background aren't right. But that's another story.

Septimus
10-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I cannot believe that Calderwood has not identified players that he would like at ER but what I can believe is that he has been told he can't have them. There is little point in waiting to release some players before bringing new ones in. We all know that there is not much demand for what we have got and even if there was most of them are out of contract at the end of the season.

We are now in a situation where we are competing with the likes of Hamilton and St. Mirren to avoid the drop. Neither of these teams has the resources to bring in players and it would appear that we are in the same boat.

If I were Calderwood I would be inclined to leave. If he does I hope he says why.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm reading with interests all the postings. You are all much better informed than me and closer to what happens down ER way.

Am just puzzled as to how we can be so bad, coaches are so poor, players are crap etc/... etc/.. that we can turn up at Hunbrox and stuff them 3-0. They couldnt get the ball of us .....

IMO it all points towards a bad attitude in the changing room, it's not the ability of the players, for there faults, they're better than ayr united and as you said they are capable of performing well, like they did at ibrox and although improving the attitudes of the players is the managers job we can't hold CC responsible yet, especially when the last three managers have had the same problem.

IMO we need some leaders in the changing room, until we get that then there's only so much the manager can do, this window is no environment for young players being brought in on loan to learn there trade, we need older heads that'll kick some backsides, grab games by the scruff of the neck and not be influenced by the players that are already there.

If we go through this window without bringing anyone in i'll be extremely concerned but as long as we stay up i'm willing to wait till next season when he can shift out the bad apples and effectively start from scratch, thats when i'd like to see youngsters brought in and we can start to judge CC.

GreenPJ
10-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Its an interesting comment - whilst it it no way accounts for all of the crap we have been watching I think a lot of the players don't enjoy playing at ER currently (Hogg, Rankin, Nish, Grounds, Miller) all get instant abuse from some (or most in some cases) of the crowd as soon as they do something wrong. Whilst a number of these players are not very good they are not being helped by an extremely low confidence level and feared to put a foot wrong. Am sure some of them would rather be playing away from home than at ER just now and that has to be wrong.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I cannot believe that Calderwood has not identified players that he would like at ER but what I can believe is that he has been told he can't have them. There is little point in waiting to release some players before bringing new ones in. We all know that there is not much demand for what we have got and even if there was most of them are out of contract at the end of the season.

We are now in a situation where we are competing with the likes of Hamilton and St. Mirren to avoid the drop. Neither of these teams has the resources to bring in players and it would appear that we are in the same boat.

If I were Calderwood I would be inclined to leave. If he does I hope he says why.

I know we all like to read between the lines with what managers say but what if CC was saying all there is to say just now, he's identified players, tried to get them but there current clubs wont let them go until there replaced, theyve broken into the first team again, theyve got injured or someone else is in the squad has got injured so they're needed as back up.

Right up until a deals signed there's loads of factors that can go wrong and there's no evidence to suggest it's our board that are causing the problems.

Dr Jimmy
10-01-2011, 01:18 PM

I think the reason we play better against the OF is because we don't have to try and break them down, the onus is on them to attack us and this means we can hit them on the break or from set pieces.
When a "lesser" club comes to ER we have to attack and we don't have the ability to do this whilst closing the back door. We invariably get hit on the break and lose a goal(s). Just my opinion, but we do always struggle against teams that come to ER to defend.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Really? Genuinely?

Who has ball winning skills in midfield?

Who has the creativity in midfield?

Who from Midfield is getting in the box supporting the forwards?

Who up front can poach goals?

Who up front has presence to hold and create for those around them?

Our only threat is Derek Riordan. We are looking for a bit of magic from him all the bloody time.

And if its not happening for him (as Saturday) then that's us.

It's not happening for us.

:confused: Is that not what i said, but in much fewer words?:wink:

smurf
10-01-2011, 01:29 PM
:confused: Is that not what i said, but in much fewer words?:wink:

Apologies... its a slow day for me.. ;-)

Kaiser1962
10-01-2011, 02:08 PM
I know we all like to read between the lines with what managers say but what if CC was saying all there is to say just now, he's identified players, tried to get them but there current clubs wont let them go until there replaced, theyve broken into the first team again, theyve got injured or someone else is in the squad has got injured so they're needed as back up.

Right up until a deals signed there's loads of factors that can go wrong and there's no evidence to suggest it's our board that are causing the problems.

A sensible post. I believe that if Calderwood wanted to go he would be gone. If he was not being "backed" or there was interference, as opposed to a healthy discussion or disagreement, he would be gone.

He was a no nonsense international footballer, has the same reputation as a manager or coach so to suggest that this man is somehow Petrie's b1tch or being held at ER against his will is, frankly, absurd.

1two
10-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Perhaps because RP punted him as a coach?

Did he?
Don't think he was a coach but if he was is it not up to the team manager who his coaches are?

mjhibby
10-01-2011, 02:17 PM
It seems like as there is no concrete stories of transfers or whatever we then get the next best thing a rumour regarding the manager whose tenure isnt going well.I understand the frustration of the fans and i think it is little more than wanting to lift the gloom around er and some people seem to think cc going will do that and adams will magically turn it round.
If cc is out of his depth( i cant seriously believe people are thinking this) then how do we think adams wont be.As i posted before calderwood has been genuinely surprised how poor the team is and the problems re out of contract players.There is a few things that worry me though at the moment.Firstly the wildly changing team selections.Now while im no fan of rankin and nish i was very surprised to see them binned for the cup game,also degraaf not even on the bench.Thicot suddenly coming in for the derby where wotherspoon would have seemed the obvious choice to replce the injured hart.Putting both zooma and duffy in against ayr when they are clearly a few games away from fitness and hogg in the team and then dropped.
While not wanting to join the doom mongers it does seem strange we havent yet settled on what our best 11 and it does seem that there is a lot of friction at er.It could well be cc and adams getting frustrated with some players(as we all are) but the management need to keep the players on their side until they are binned.Secondly there has been no activity in getting any of the players who are out of contract signing up.I find this very strange as they can all sign precontracts elsewhere and we could be left with a massive rebuiling job in the summer something which cc or any new manager is going to have to face
Is it that petrie isnt letting cc sign anybody up or have they agreed they all need to go.Worrying times if that is true and maybe cc hinted this when he said there would be no major changes at er.Thirdly the appointment of adams was a strange one as he looks all the world as a manager in waiting and is now looking like a safety net if cc goes.Yes he has great knowledge of the lower leagues in scotland but we have yet to see that.I know there is 3 weeks of the transfer window to go but given hibs plight i would have thought we would have had a couple of players in with a crucial period of our season coming up.If it is the last minute rush again then we could well be further in the mire when new players come in and are settled in the team.
These are worrying times at er and were probably inevitable given the huge amount of players (16 i believe) who are into their last six months of their contracts.Whether cc is able to turn things round we will know in the next 3 weeks but if it hasnt improved by the end of january then i think petrie could well hit the panic button.I desperately hope cc succeeds but nothing would surprise me in football management especially the short length hibs managers are given in charge.Btw in the since the begining of february our league record is P37 W7 D8 L22 (29 Points for virtually a full season) and falkirk were relegated with 31 points last season.This only proves how rapid our decline has been and shows how tough ccs or any other managers task is.
Being a hibby though we will get through this and we have been worse than this in my now 40 years of watching hibs.Whose fault it is will come out in the wash but right now we just need to get results,get through this season and then sort the horrendous mess that yogi and petrie have left regards so many being out of contract.Sorry about the length of this rant but like everybody else the frustraion with all hibs is begining to boil.

Kaiser1962
10-01-2011, 02:21 PM

I picked this bit out of your post Septimus as its a mystery to me why other managers havent come out and said so. Particularly if they have been sacked as I would imagine they would have a good case for unfair treatment or interference in team affairs, and could sue the club with a very high chance of success and preserve their professional integrity.
The managers who have left/been asked to leave or just plain sacked have hardly been unmitigated success stories elsewhere.

--------
10-01-2011, 02:55 PM

I picked this bit out of your post Septimus as its a mystery to me why other managers havent come out and said so. Particularly if they have been sacked as I would imagine they would have a good case for unfair treatment or interference in team affairs, and could sue the club with a very high chance of success and preserve their professional integrity.
The managers who have left/been asked to leave or just plain sacked have hardly been unmitigated success stories elsewhere.

Non-disclosure clauses in the 'parting by mutual consent' agreement? Non-disclosure clauses that include not disclosing the fact that there ARE non-disclosure clauses? :cool2:

We have an owner and a board who have done wonders in the areas of balancing the books and rebuilding the stadium etc.

However, their record in the one area which in a football club is VITAL - that of recruiting the team manager and assisting him in building a competitive team has long been less than impressive. In fact, it sucks.

EITHER Williamson, Mowbray, Collins, Paatelainen and Hughes (and now Calderwood) are all incompetents who just happen to interview well - and who therefore took in our trusting and otherwise highly competent and ambitious board of directors....

OR the board have signed up a succession of SIX managers (count them) and then failed to support them personally and financially in their task of managing the Hibernian football team.

ONE shifty and unscrupulous board shafting one after the other six at least reasonably competent managers, all of whom have done decent to excellent work elsewhere?

Or SIX incompetent but plausible con-men successively letting down an honest and hard-working board?

Let me think about that.... :rolleyes:

Dr Jimmy
10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
It seems like as there is no concrete stories of transfers or whatever we then get the next best thing a rumour regarding the manager whose tenure isnt going well.I understand the frustration of the fans and i think it is little more than wanting to lift the gloom around er and some people seem to think cc going will do that and adams will magically turn it round.
If cc is out of his depth( i cant seriously believe people are thinking this) then how do we think adams wont be.As i posted before calderwood has been genuinely surprised how poor the team is and the problems re out of contract players.There is a few things that worry me though at the moment.Firstly the wildly changing team selections.Now while im no fan of rankin and nish i was very surprised to see them binned for the cup game,also degraaf not even on the bench.Thicot suddenly coming in for the derby where wotherspoon would have seemed the obvious choice to replce the injured hart.Putting both zooma and duffy in against ayr when they are clearly a few games away from fitness and hogg in the team and then dropped.
While not wanting to join the doom mongers it does seem strange we havent yet settled on what our best 11 and it does seem that there is a lot of friction at er.It could well be cc and adams getting frustrated with some players(as we all are) but the management need to keep the players on their side until they are binned.Secondly there has been no activity in getting any of the players who are out of contract signing up.I find this very strange as they can all sign precontracts elsewhere and we could be left with a massive rebuiling job in the summer something which cc or any new manager is going to have to face
Is it that petrie isnt letting cc sign anybody up or have they agreed they all need to go.Worrying times if that is true and maybe cc hinted this when he said there would be no major changes at er.Thirdly the appointment of adams was a strange one as he looks all the world as a manager in waiting and is now looking like a safety net if cc goes.Yes he has great knowledge of the lower leagues in scotland but we have yet to see that.I know there is 3 weeks of the transfer window to go but given hibs plight i would have thought we would have had a couple of players in with a crucial period of our season coming up.If it is the last minute rush again then we could well be further in the mire when new players come in and are settled in the team.
These are worrying times at er and were probably inevitable given the huge amount of players (16 i believe) who are into their last six months of their contracts.Whether cc is able to turn things round we will know in the next 3 weeks but if it hasnt improved by the end of january then i think petrie could well hit the panic button.I desperately hope cc succeeds but nothing would surprise me in football management especially the short length hibs managers are given in charge.Btw in the since the begining of february our league record is P37 W7 D8 L22 (29 Points for virtually a full season) and falkirk were relegated with 31 points last season.This only proves how rapid our decline has been and shows how tough ccs or any other managers task is.
Being a hibby though we will get through this and we have been worse than this in my now 40 years of watching hibs.Whose fault it is will come out in the wash but right now we just need to get results,get through this season and then sort the horrendous mess that yogi and petrie have left regards so many being out of contract.Sorry about the length of this rant but like everybody else the frustraion with all hibs is begining to boil.

****** me that is scary!

Kaiser1962
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry Doddie but I dont buy that as that is being a bit derogatory to the six concerned and suggesting they dont have the gonads to defend themselves particularly when their reputation may be forever tarnished.

Even the Yams bosses had the gazongas to take on the mad one in court.

I dont know all the ex managers but I do know one that you listed and regard him as a friend. Although I would not embarrass either him or me by disclosing personal conversations I would add that he's nobodies yes man and nobodies fool. And I would extend that to the others by reputation.

Its perhaps a matter of interpretation as to what is declared a success. I am sure that, based on stats, we would declare that Yogi's tenure was a success (i.e. one full season and a fourth place finish) although we both know thats not the full story as we were dire.

[QUOTE=Kaiser1962;2685972]
Non-disclosure clauses in the 'parting by mutual consent' agreement? Non-disclosure clauses that include not disclosing the fact that there ARE non-disclosure clauses? :cool2:

We have an owner and a board who have done wonders in the areas of balancing the books and rebuilding the stadium etc.

However, their record in the one area which in a football club is VITAL - that of recruiting the team manager and assisting him in building a competitive team has long been less than impressive. In fact, it sucks.

EITHER Williamson, Mowbray, Collins, Paatelainen and Hughes (and now Calderwood) are all incompetents who just happen to interview well - and who therefore took in our trusting and otherwise highly competent and ambitious board of directors....

OR the board have signed up a succession of SIX managers (count them) and then failed to support them personally and financially in their task of managing the Hibernian football team.

ONE shifty and unscrupulous board shafting one after the other six at least reasonably competent managers, all of whom have done decent to excellent work elsewhere?

Or SIX incompetent but plausible con-men successively letting down an honest and hard-working board?

Let me think about that.... :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
10-01-2011, 03:42 PM
CC is not prepared to resign. He is however unhappy with the board, which has been the same issue with the last few managers.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 03:58 PM
CC is not prepared to resign. He is however unhappy with the board, which has been the same issue with the last few managers.

You know this how?

Hibercelona
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
You know this how?

Common sense.

You think any manager that doesn't feel he's getting the full backing from the board is happy about it?

Theres a reason we've been going through so many managers of late. And I can tell you that it isn't the managers that have been the issue.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Kaiser1962;2686056]Sorry Doddie but I dont buy that as that is being a bit derogatory to the six concerned and suggesting they dont have the gonads to defend themselves particularly when their reputation may be forever tarnished.

I dont know all the ex managers but I do know one that you listed and regard him as a friend. Although I would not embarrass either him or me by disclosing personal conversations I would add that he's nobodies yes man and nobodies fool. And I would extend that to the others by reputation.

Its perhaps a matter of interpretation as to what is declared a success. I am sure that, based on stats, we would declare that Yogi's tenure was a success (i.e. one full season and a fourth place finish) although we both know thats not the full story as we were dire.

How do you take anyone to Court if there's been no breach of contract:confused:

Golden Bear
10-01-2011, 04:03 PM

I would have thought that CC would have been made aware of all the facts prior to taking up his appointment.

And even Rod would have allowed the occasional question during the interview process so I don't buy any suggestion that there are now circumstances he wasn't aware of.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 04:07 PM
I would have thought that CC would have been made aware of all the facts prior to taking up his appointment.

And even Rod would have allowed the occasional question during the interview process so I don't buy any suggestion that there are now circumstances he wasn't aware of.

Have you ever had a job where you've thought "this isn't what it said in the brochure", after you've joined? I have.

bingo70
Common sense.

You think any manager that doesn't feel he's getting the full backing from the board is happy about it?

Theres a reason we've been going through so many managers of late. And I can tell you that it isn't the managers that have been the issue.

So you don't know it, you just think ths might be the case.

I don't think that the board would have lied to CC about his budget to get him in the door, why would they when it'd obviously cause conflict almost immediately?

So if we told him the budget, he was happy with it, but now a couple of months into the job you think he's unhappy with the board over the budget or lack of backing?

Cropley10
Common sense.

Sorry - how do you know this? You seem to be suggesting it's a fact.

--------
10-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Sorry Doddie but I dont buy that as that is being a bit derogatory to the six concerned and suggesting they dont have the gonads to defend themselves particularly when their reputation may be forever tarnished.

[QUOTE=Doddie;2686023]

Sorry - I was kind of thinking aloud there, but I take your point and I'm absolutely sure you're right.

However, I still find it hard to work out why none of those six guys left as quickly as they did - the only ones who left in a reasonably normal way were BW and TM - JC, MP, and JH all left with the team (if not the club) in increasingly serious states of disarray. Now we have rumours started about CC.

IMO there's something badly wrong about the situation at ER right now, and I suspect that this has been so for some time. My thoughts go back to the dressingroom revolt in JC's time, which seems to have poisoned his tenure and since which nothing has really gone right for us.

If there are players in there who're selling the shirt for whatever reason they have to go. If there's a problem of lack of support for the manager from the board, that has to be sorted. If the problem is that the fans are simply not patient enough, asking too much too quickly, too ready to turn on both players and manager... Then we have to sort it out, because we're in serious difficulties and as already said, some plain talking to clear the air would be good, as would a clear statement of our immediate priorities in regard to the team.

This process of slow erosion has been going on too long; whatever the reason, it has to be sorted. The buck, IMO doesn't stop with CC, nor yet with RP. It stops with STF, or whoever's acting as his representative in regard to the football club these days.

The_Todd
10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
While I won't comment on whether or not I believe the rumour, it is possible CC offered to resign and the board decided it wouldn't be necessary.

WindyMiller
10-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Common sense.

You mean you made it up.:aok:

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Common sense.

So CC is unhappy because he's not getting the full backing of the board. Do you have a link to this interview?

WindyMiller
10-01-2011, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Kaiser1962;2686056]Sorry Doddie but I dont buy that as that is being a bit derogatory to the six concerned and suggesting they dont have the gonads to defend themselves particularly when their reputation may be forever tarnished.

Sorry - I was kind of thinking aloud there, but I take your point and I'm absolutely sure you're right.

However, I still find it hard to work out why none of those six guys left as quickly as they did - the only ones who left in a reasonably normal way were BW and TM - JC, MP, and JH all left with the team (if not the club) in increasingly serious states of disarray. Now we have rumours started about CC.

IMO there's something badly wrong about the situation at ER right now, and I suspect that this has been so for some time. My thoughts go back to the dressingroom revolt in JC's time, which seems to have poisoned his tenure and since which nothing has really gone right for us.

If there are players in there who're selling the shirt for whatever reason they have to go. If there's a problem of lack of support for the manager from the board, that has to be sorted. If the problem is that the fans are simply not patient enough, asking too much too quickly, too ready to turn on both players and manager... Then we have to sort it out, because we're in serious difficulties and as already said, some plain talking to clear the air would be good, as would a clear statement of our immediate priorities in regard to the team.

This process of slow erosion has been going on too long; whatever the reason, it has to be sorted. The buck, IMO doesn't stop with CC, nor yet with RP. It stops with STF, or whoever's acting as his representative in regard to the football club these days.

Come on Doddie!
You'll be telling me you believe in miracles next.

:faint:

Sir David Gray
10-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Our record over our last 38 league games (i.e. a full season's worth of games) is P-38 W-10 D-7 L-21 F-53 A-71 PTS-37

37 points in a season would have got us the following league positions in recent years;

00-01

10th

01-02

11th

02-03

8th

03-04

10th

04-05

8th

05-06

8th

06-07

10th

07-08

11th

08-09

joint bottom

09-10

9th

37 points would probably be enough for us to stay up, but the question is, can we get 21 points from the second half of the season?

We probably need at least 30 points to stay up.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Our record over our last 38 league games (i.e. a full season's worth of games) is P-38 W-10 D-7 L-21 F-53 A-71 PTS-37

37 points in a season would have got us the following league positions in recent years;

00-01

10th

01-02

11th

02-03

8th

03-04

10th

04-05

8th

05-06

8th

06-07

10th

07-08

11th

08-09

joint bottom

09-10

9th

37 points would probably be enough for us to stay up, but the question is, can we get 21 points from the second half of the season?

We probably need at least 30 points to stay up.

Och well panic over. :wink:

Captain Trips
10-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Here is my view.

Dont know if any rumours true but what I think is the following

At end of last season and during summer and start of this season I like many thought the team needed big changes that was my view a lot of players out and some in.

Did the board see it this way? Did they think we were poor because of the manager and CC was the change needed for us to play a lot better without a lot of player movement? CC may have been a good choice if that what was needed however I fear it is a rebuild and I think the board have realised that and perhaps a manager has been appointed on the strength of us having good players whom needed a change in tactics etc etc.

IMO Hibs are in severe trouble.

Andy74
10-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Someone finally mentioned that maybe the fans are the underlying problem. Worth a thought.

ancient hibee
10-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't see there being any rush by other clubs to sign our out of contract players as most of them have shown nothing and can't perform in a duff league like the SPL.If any sign a pre contract Petrie will try to sell them for a nominal amount in this window to raise funds and free up wages because we have no intention in offering most of them a deal.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Someone finally mentioned that maybe the fans are the underlying problem. Worth a thought.

Surely 'some' fans.

Jimmy Belter
10-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

Heard a few rumours comming from players that the trainning at Hibs is terrible now.
So dont know if CC left would D Adams be any better on his own?.

Watching the team play now is like watching primary school football with the ball lumped up the park..........

smurf
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

Heard a few rumours comming from players that the trainning at Hibs is terrible now.

Watching the team play now is like watching primary school football with the ball lumped up the park..........

Trainning is terrible.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Don't necessarily disagree with that, however thats not about to change at any point soon so we need to either get players in that are strong enough to deal with that or we need to get players in that will get the fans back onside.

It certianly appears that no matter who the manager is the problem isn't going to be solved without radcial changes to the squad.

greenlex
10-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

Having read your 8 posts so far I reckon you are John Hughes. :cool2:

bingo70
10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

Thats all we're good enough to do just now, we're not good enough to play attractive football.

I really don't care if the players aren't liking training, in fact i hope they're absolutely hating it, all we've heard for the last couple of years is how much they're enjoying the training and it didn't seem to do us much good so hopefully they're not liking it because they're finally being made to work hard.

smurf
10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Having read your 8 posts so far I reckon you are John Hughes. :cool2:

He's giving it a right good go!

Alfred E Newman
10-01-2011, 06:13 PM

excluding you of course.

snooky
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Oh shoot! Just when everything seemed to going so well :boo hoo:

:stirrer:

Davy Mac
10-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Have you ever had a job where you've thought "this isn't what it said in the brochure", after you've joined? I have.

:agree: Yup, nail on head for me.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

The players have never liked training, or by the sounds of it, trainning.

This goes back for years.

WindyMiller
10-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

I'm glad you joined, we need posters like you that can feed us these little snippets John.

CentreLine
10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
So you don't know it, you just think ths might be the case.

I don't think that the board would have lied to CC about his budget to get him in the door, why would they when it'd obviously cause conflict almost immediately?

So if we told him the budget, he was happy with it, but now a couple of months into the job you think he's unhappy with the board over the budget or lack of backing?

CC spoke very well at the post-AGM meeting and stated categorically that he had a very clear picture of the club's financial policy and he was very comfortable with that. I liked the way he spoke then and I am still convinced that we will see steady progress under his charge. I have no concerns about relegation but I am not convinced will will make top six. However, I think we will start to see real progress after the summer.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2011, 06:57 PM
CC spoke very well at the post-AGM meeting and stated categorically that he had a very clear picture of the club's financial policy and was he was very comfortable with that. I liked the way he spoke then and I am still convinced that we will see steady progress under his charge. I have no concerns about relegation but I am not convinced will will make top six. However, I think we will start to see real progress after the summer.

Yes thats all very well, but surely its better to listen to folk, who in all fairness just seem to make things up, then pass it on as facts. It makes things more interesting :wink:

BEEJ
10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Surely 'some' fans.
Nope. He means all (except for Andy and a couple of pals). :greengrin

It's all our fault, don't you know. We chased Yogi from ER and terrorised RP and the Board into sacking him.

And here's what we are meant meekly to accept. Just pay your money to the club, guys, and expect nothing by way of performance in return.

Keep silent. Don't even utter the merest groan. There's a wonderful long-term plan being worked out before our very eyes and if we're just patient for another six / seven / eight seasons we will see it brought finally to fruition.

Why, if we'd just kept our traps shut until 2015, Yogi might have managed to summon up a victory against the Yams. :rolleyes:

Hold fast, the good times are just around the corner .... or maybe the next one .... then again ......

BEEJ
10-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Trainning & D Adams.

One of the most aptly named posters on this Board.

:aok:

ScottB
10-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is my view.

Dont know if any rumours true but what I think is the following

At end of last season and during summer and start of this season I like many thought the team needed big changes that was my view a lot of players out and some in.

Did the board see it this way? Did they think we were poor because of the manager and CC was the change needed for us to play a lot better without a lot of player movement? CC may have been a good choice if that what was needed however I fear it is a rebuild and I think the board have realised that and perhaps a manager has been appointed on the strength of us having good players whom needed a change in tactics etc etc.

IMO Hibs are in severe trouble.

Given that that squad finished 4th last season I don't think it an unreasonable assessment to assume that with a change in management / tactics (what most people on here at least were complaining about towards the end of Yogi's reign) would yield an improvement in results / performances.

bingo70
10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
CC spoke very well at the post-AGM meeting and stated categorically that he had a very clear picture of the club's financial policy and was he was very comfortable with that. I liked the way he spoke then and I am still convinced that we will see steady progress under his charge. I have no concerns about relegation but I am not convinced will will make top six. However, I think we will start to see real progress after the summer.

Completely agree, i said earlier today, can't remember if it was this thread or not but i think as long as we stay up we'll see a completely different team next year and the first thing CC will do is bring in a decent spine to the team.

I think he's just trying (and struggling) to get by until he can make wholesale changes in the summer, the fact that Bamba has gone and it appears Nish is on his way out indicates he's already started his clearout.

I am starting to get concerned about relegation being a definate possibility though so i really think we need at least 2 new signings in this window, if we don't get them i'll be a lot more concerned

BSEJVT
10-01-2011, 07:06 PM

I hope you are right but to me that seems like the the most glass half full post I have read in a long long time.

We have absolutely no chance of making the top 6.

Why is it you have no concerns about relegation?

What gives you that confidence?

Genuinely interested to know, because you may know something no-one else seems to.

down-the-slope
10-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Yup

3 month probation before issue of full perm. contract....took me 3 weeks to have serious doubts..It was a pretty senior position...interesting conversation when I told Director I did not wish contract after i fullfilled probation...

basehibby
10-01-2011, 07:43 PM

I'm very worried about the Hibs at the moment as the fight and attitude just seems to have vanished from this team - regardless of manager, Ayr should have been taken to the cleaners, but they came to ER and showed more bottle than our lot and we are fortunate still to be in the competition as things stand.
This has been a problem with this set of players long before Calderwood - even a year ago at the right end of the table they seemed to stroll about as if the world owed them a living much of the time. I hoped that Yogi with his heart on the sleeve passionate style would shake them out of their complacency but it seems that many continued to keep their heads up their own erses regarding their need to work hard for success.
For me they need a fire lit under their collective erses as they risk plunging the club into a real crisis if they don't get a grip - they need to be playing EVERY game as if their lives depended on it.
As for Calderwood - sacking him is NOT the answer at this stage IMO, although the buck will ultimately stop at his door if he fails to get this team motivated enough to pick up points AND KO Ayr from the cup in short order. If Calderwood turns out not to be capable of effecting such a turnaround then questions must be asked of RP et al and their decision making.

Iain G
10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Well French Connection me sideways, what a hell of a thread this is turning out to be!

Experienced manager who has worked succesfully at clubs bigger than Hibs both as assistant and his own boss wants to walk for a multitude of suggested reasons, from Rod hiding the biscuit tin to him not doing any research whatsover on Hibs before taking the job....

The transfer window in Jan is always a tricky one, even ol Sir Alex says he doesn't like doing business in January, so it's a hard one to get players in or moved out especially when we need major surgergy and not just tinkering!

We simply need to stay in the SPL this season, that should be job number one, then Colin has the time and space to clear out all of the rubbish, wasters and dross in our squad and build his team, up until then it's going to be make do and mend I'm affraid, Yogi has left us with a team with no spine or fight or belief about it, CC has that to deal with and a generally unbalanced squad.

He has a few weeks of the window left to get in a couple of key players, hopefully with some experience and leadership and fight to get this shower moving in the right direction, and we have some youngsters coming back with good on loan experience to add to the mix and Duffy and Zouma regaining their fitness...

Lets try and be positive and support the club when they really do need our support :agree:

Now does anyone have Matty Jack's phonenumber... :devil:

Sammy7nil
10-01-2011, 08:40 PM
A thread with over 150 posts and NOTHING to back up the claim CC is set to walk.

It may be true I hope it is not if it is true we will struggle to get and keep any experienced Manager.

trev the hat
10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Well French Connection me sideways, what a hell of a thread this is turning out to be!

Experienced manager who has worked succesfully at clubs bigger than Hibs both as assistant and his own boss wants to walk for a multitude of suggested reasons, from Rod hiding the biscuit tin to him not doing any research whatsover on Hibs before taking the job....

The transfer window in Jan is always a tricky one, even ol Sir Alex says he doesn't like doing business in January, so it's a hard one to get players in or moved out especially when we need major surgergy and not just tinkering!

We simply need to stay in the SPL this season, that should be job number one, then Colin has the time and space to clear out all of the rubbish, wasters and dross in our squad and build his team, up until then it's going to be make do and mend I'm affraid, Yogi has left us with a team with no spine or fight or belief about it, CC has that to deal with and a generally unbalanced squad.

He has a few weeks of the window left to get in a couple of key players, hopefully with some experience and leadership and fight to get this shower moving in the right direction, and we have some youngsters coming back with good on loan experience to add to the mix and Duffy and Zouma regaining their fitness...

Lets try and be positive and support the club when they really do need our support :agree:

Excellent post sir. :top marks

Some of the kak on this thread is astonishing :rolleyes:
I fully expect at least 1 or 2 new faces this wk.

Andy74
10-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Nope. He means all (except for Andy and a couple of pals). :greengrin

It's all our fault, don't you know. We chased Yogi from ER and terrorised RP and the Board into sacking him.

And here's what we are meant meekly to accept. Just pay your money to the club, guys, and expect nothing by way of performance in return.

Keep silent. Don't even utter the merest groan. There's a wonderful long-term plan being worked out before our very eyes and if we're just patient for another six / seven / eight seasons we will see it brought finally to fruition.

Why, if we'd just kept our traps shut until 2015, Yogi might have managed to summon up a victory against the Yams. :rolleyes:

Hold fast, the good times are just around the corner .... or maybe the next one .... then again ......
It goes back further than Hughes.

Perhaps that record wouldn't have been so bad in the first place if there was an sort of supportive environment for players and coaches.

Instead we try and find the most offensive names that we can call our own at the first sight of a poor performance.

We seem to love a cause and some drama and until we settle down and support people through things here we will never get what we suggest we want.

MrSmith
10-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Perhaps that record wouldn't have been so bad in the first place if there was an sort of supportive environment for players and coaches.

Instead we try and find the most offensive names that we can call our own at the first sight of a poor performance.

We seem to love a cause and some drama and until we settle down and support people through things here we will never get what we suggest we want.

I agree to an extent with what you are saying Andy but...always is eh? I really think it has gone past the supportive bit now. Players aint playing, coaches might be coaching, management keep counting, agents keep whoring...

Dealers keep dealin'
Thieves keep thievin'
Whores keep whorin'
Junkies keep scorin'
Trade is on the meat rack
Strip joints full
of hunchbacks
Bitches keep bitchin'
Clap keeps itchin'
Ain't no use in prayin'
That's the way it's
stayin', baby
Johnny ain't so crazy
He's always got a line
for the ladies
(yeah, yeah, yeah)

BEEJ
10-01-2011, 10:02 PM
A thread with over 150 posts and NOTHING to back up the claim CC is set to walk.

IMHO just the latest in the recent series of wind-ups, to which we seem to be particularly vulnerable on here just now.

CentreLine
10-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I hope you are right but to me that seems like the the most glass half full post I have read in a long long time.

We have absolutely no chance of making the top 6.

Why is it you have no concerns about relegation?

What gives you that confidence?

Genuinely interested to know, because you may know something no-one else seems to.

I appreciate you are interested. I am not going to re-type my views all over again but if you view other posts of mine you will see why I have that opinion.

mim
10-01-2011, 10:22 PM

I think this might be right.
If Calderwood had eyes on a couple of loan signings from Newcastle to bolster the squad and these signings did not materialise, because Houghton was sacked, then this has maybe put a strain on CC's relationship with the board, especially if CC has not managed to line up alternatives.

ozhibs
10-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Its an interesting comment - whilst it it no way accounts for all of the crap we have been watching I think a lot of the players don't enjoy playing at ER currently (Hogg, Rankin, Nish, Grounds, Miller) all get instant abuse from some (or most in some cases) of the crowd as soon as they do something wrong. Whilst a number of these players are not very good they are not being helped by an extremely low confidence level and feared to put a foot wrong. Am sure some of them would rather be playing away from home than at ER just now and that has to be wrong.

I have felt this for a while now even last season, because of the abuse from the stands. I'm sure the players feel more at ease with the traveling support being more supportive.

Sammy7nil
10-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I have felt this for a while now even last season, because of the abuse from the stands. I'm sure the players feel more at ease with the traveling support being more supportive.

Why do they still get humped when away from home then? :cool2:

Apart from the Ibrox fluke :greengrin :wink:

BEEJ
10-01-2011, 10:52 PM

'We'? You mean the support en masse? Or just every member of Hibs.net?

I certainly don't resort to the use of such puerile nicknames. I tend to associate that tactic with the kind of trolling for which our pink friends on here are becoming evermore adept. Them and a handful of the less astute members from our own support. We all need to be more discerning of the kind of things we read on here and not attribute them universally across a whole group.

Same goes for the guys at matches that seem to do everything but support the team; they bellow drink-fueled obscenities and insults at the players from the off. It's frustrating listening to them but I don't for one minute see them as anything other than a sad, tiny minority.

Your abundant patience with Hibs managers in the past has been admirable. I don't know how long you would have given Yogi at the helm - or for that matter Mixu before him. Certainly much more time than I would, given the lack of evidence of any longer-term progress in each case.

But your view evidently is that RP, rather than taking the longer view, bows to fan pressure and does the unthinkable. No other factors enter into the equation when deciding to part with a manager. I think that view both over-estimates 'supporter power' at ER (massively) and undermines the professionalism of the Board.

hibs0666
10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Your abundant patience with Hibs managers in the past has been admirable. I don't know how long you would have given Yogi at the helm - or for that matter Mixu before him. Certainly much more time than I would, given the lack of evidence of any longer-term progress in each case.

You don't get longer term progress in the 18 months we normally give managers.

1875STEVE
10-01-2011, 11:51 PM
good stuff...it's bound to be a lot of pish then :wink:

(no offence to the guy who runs hibernian mad as i believe he posts on here sometimes it's just they don't have a very high success rate of rumours being true)

Hibs-Mad did not post the romour, it was a poster on the board, so how does that suddenly become the feelings of Hibs-Mad?

Does every bull***** romour that is posted on here by posters (and there is far more on here btw), mean that, that is what Hibs.net believe to be true???

And what is our "Success Rate"???

Wind yer kneck in ffs, your clearly don't know what you are talking about, when having a go at a site that a handful of guys put a lot of time and effort into.

We know who are sources inside the club are, and they normally spot on with the stuff they give us, when they have something to say.

Just because something doesn't happen with a romour, doesn't mean there wasn't truth with it to start with. Deals fall through, it happens.

Sunny1875
11-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Can anyone disagree that the club was in freefall before CC arrived?

anyone who is honest will know this is true, and yes this is largely the same squad that stumbled into Europe last year. but not quite the same team, also the majority of these players where not in the final year of their contracts last season. It does appear that some of our playing staff are taking a wage for very little return.
I think the remit of CC and Adams is to avoid relegation not just this season but probably next too with hopefully a little improvement. At the end of this season there will be a clear-out of playing staff that much is obvious. I would then hope to see the managerial team bringing in the players they want, The ambition and backing of the board will be crucial come summertime. As fans we know the area's that need to be improved does anyone think the manager cant see this too. I personally don't think we could afford any manager with the presence to motivate the current squad under their current contracts. Some of these chancer's will be out of football before long. Our club will still be here.

Yes I desperately want to see a big signing in this window hopefully the 3 or 4 quality signings we need but doubt if we will see more than 2 signings and possibly not the ones we want. But I hope the Club and that means the fans too give the management team the time they need to shape their own squad. that squad will not be assembled in 1 or even 2 transfer windows but 4

Alex Ferguson probably the greatest manager in modern UK football took time to find success at Aberdeen who were a good side when he arrived (at a time when the old firm where both struggling). then at Man U. he spent between 1986 and 1990 assembling his squad and instilling his style on the playing staff.
Now I don't think CC is anywhere as good as Ferguson i do believe that time is necessary to steady the ship and then build on this.

The Falcon
11-01-2011, 07:30 AM
I dont think for one second that CC would have taken this job without a great deal of discussion taking place first. And we approached him, he didnt even apply, so I would surmise that he was in a stronger position than most.

He may even have an agent who would look at these things, if he dosent he would certainly have a lawyer, in all probability he will have both.

If Hibs (or Rod in particular) have reneged in any way, or interfered with his job, on what was agreed then surely they would be in breach of contract and would find themselves at an employment tribunal pretty rapid. There have been other comments about his reputation but I'm pretty sure he wouldnt stand for being lied to, as some are suggesting.

I think that he will spend another week to ten days trying to get his primary targets (and will have Rodders rattling up the miles) and if they dont get them then it will be short term deals for the plan B's and try again in the summer.

aberhibsfc
11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Yup

3 month probation before issue of full perm. contract....took me 3 weeks to have serious doubts..It was a pretty senior position...interesting conversation when I told Director I did not wish contract after i fullfilled probation...

Same here, I joined my current employer 3 years ago, the job advertised was very different to the one I applied for. Unfotortunately in today's climate I have to just get on with it, jobs don't grow on trees, erm. TBH many employers don't know how to advertise a job properly, they either over complicate it or fail to identify the key areas. My experience has shown many of them just copy another one which looks good. In addition, how many of you can say you receive a fair review assessment, most of the time it's just a natter and you get the same rating as everyone else despite what you've achieved.

Cropley10
11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Same here, I joined my current employer 3 years ago, the job advertised was very different to the one I applied for. Unfotortunately in today's climate I have to just get on with it, jobs don't grow on trees, erm. TBH many employers don't know how to advertise a job properly, they either over complicate it or fail to identify the key areas. My experience has shown many of them just copy another one which looks good. In addition, how many of you can say you receive a fair review assessment, most of the time it's just a natter and you get the same rating as everyone else despite what you've achieved.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one!

The problem most folk face is that there are a myriad of things that are not in your contract, or are not contractual obligations, but are more related to business practices, culture, politics, people, process and so on. This makes it very difficult to seek redress through a tribunal, or to cite 'breach of contract'.

At the end of the day - there are very few people who know what was said, what's in the contract, and what's happened, or is happening. I hope that Colin is given the time and space to turn this round, starting with the signing of some key players that will steer us to safety by May.

:flag:

silverhibee
11-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Trainning & D Adams.

Heard a few rumours comming from players that the trainning at Hibs is terrible now.So dont know if CC left would D Adams be any better on his own?.

Not what i have been hearing from players that i have spoken too, players enjoy going in to training under CC, something that couldn't be said under the last manager, anyone who thinks CC is a soft touch with the players is far of the mark, CC has got a massive job infront of him and i think he will see it through and hopefully Hibs will turn the corner and start moving up the table for everyone's sake.

BEEJ
11-01-2011, 11:59 AM
You don't get longer term progress in the 18 months we normally give managers.
If, over the space of 7 or 8 months (including at least one transfer window), there is no evidence of progress in the development of a side nor even the glimmers of a manager's footballing ethos beginning to show through on the field of play, I think the Board have every reason to start to ask questions as to whether the manager is the right person for the job.

Ultimately Yogi's undoing (the last straw) was his transfer activity last summer when he brought in a couple of expensive players who have offered little more than the existing squad.

WindyMiller
11-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Not what i have been hearing from players that i have spoken too, players enjoy going in to training under CC, something that couldn't be said under the last manager, anyone who thinks CC is a soft touch with the players is far of the mark, CC has got a massive job infront of him and i think he will see it through and hopefully Hibs will turn the corner and start moving up the table for everyone's sake.

Glad to hear it SH.

--------
11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Surely 'some' fans.

'Some' fans is what I meant.

Just as Roy Hodgson wasn't entirely wrong when he suggested that some people at Anfield might help more if they got behind the team in a positive way - every team needs supporters, not hyper-critics just waiting to jump on them the moment things go wrong.

I was in the main stand at Hampden in May 2001. When we went 3-0 down some of the Hibs 'supporters' started to make for the exits, and the unwashed at the other end began singing 'We can see you sneaking out'. Someone behind us stood up to leave, and the guy sitting beside him refused to move to let him out. 'Sit the bleep doon. We're staying. Dinnae gie thae bleeps the satisfaction." And then he stood up and started a 'Hibees, Hibees' chant which we all joined in.

That sort of thing must have been happening all round the Hibs end, because people stopped sneaking out and started singing. My wife put on the TV for the last 20 minutes of the game, and initially thought we must be winning, because she couldn't hear a single soapie song or chant for the Hibs fans making a humungous racket from the clean end of the stadium. Our guys got a bigger cheer when they went up for their runners-up medals than the unwashed got when they went up for the Cup. I couldn't speak for 3 days.

Some of that spirit now would help CC enormously.

Hibs aren't a 'family club' nor a 'community club' - we're a public limited company, and who gives a stuff about public limited companies? THAT has to change, IMO.

ahibby
11-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I hope that much of CCs tactics have been dictated by injuries. For example it doesn't seem to me that Deek is the best CF to get on the end of crosses in to the box and from the little I have seen of him I think that Trakys would be a better option for that style. I am not saying he is a better player or more prolific scorer than Deek, just that I think he would throw himself in to a cross more than Deek would. I'd like to know of all the goals Deek has scored how many he scored out of the box compared to in the box. Sometimes knowing things like that help you to realise how best to situate players. My gut instinct tells me Deek is better out of the box than in but I don't have the facts. So I'd play Trakys further up and Deek slightly behind him. CC might resort to that once Trakys is back fit which going by Saturday isn't the case now. Other than that I am not sure that I can pin point anything that CC has done wrong and he has done what he can with what he has fit at the time. In contrast to Yogi who would hardly ever change even when things were clearly not working. Mixu didn't have the squad that Yogi had.

matty_f
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Have heard much the same.:agree:

CentreLine
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM

:agree:Well said SH and with your track record and connections I think that should just about put this subject to bed

brog
11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

It may be true I hope it is not if it is true we will struggle to get and keep any experienced Manager.

:top marks - 2 separate threads, hundreds of posts & not one fact. I appreciate the irony of the following comment but why do we give this nonsense even a veneer of respectability by posting? Can we not at least put a Greggs warning on this stuff?

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Have heard much the same.:agree:

It's good to hear. Just a pity they don't enjoy (or even look like they enjoy) playing on a Saturday.

MrSmith
11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
'Some' fans is what I meant.

Just as Roy Hodgson wasn't entirely wrong when he suggested that some people at Anfield might help more if they got behind the team in a positive way - every team needs supporters, not hyper-critics just waiting to jump on them the moment things go wrong.

I was in the main stand at Hampden in May 2001. When we went 3-0 down some of the Hibs 'supporters' started to make for the exits, and the unwashed at the other end began singing 'We can see you sneaking out'. Someone behind us stood up to leave, and the guy sitting beside him refused to move to let him out. 'Sit the bleep doon. We're staying. Dinnae gie thae bleeps the satisfaction." And then he stood up and started a 'Hibees, Hibees' chant which we all joined in.

That sort of thing must have been happening all round the Hibs end, because people stopped sneaking out and started singing. My wife put on the TV for the last 20 minutes of the game, and initially thought we must be winning, because she couldn't hear a single soapie song or chant for the Hibs fans making a humungous racket from the clean end of the stadium. Our guys got a bigger cheer when they went up for their runners-up medals than the unwashed got when they went up for the Cup. I couldn't speak for 3 days.

Some of that spirit now would help CC enormously.

Hibs aren't a 'family club' nor a 'community club' - we're a public limited company, and who gives a stuff about public limited companies? THAT has to change, IMO.

Great post Doddie, really tugs at the old heartstrings and I'm sure Winston C. would be extremely proud of it!

Thinking of the emotions there you are right, I think we are forgetting what it means to be a hibs fan and the raw unwavering support we give without question.

jgl07
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
So when did Colin Calderwood join Chelsea? :confused:

He played with Mansfield, Swindon, Spurs, Villa and Forest.

If he does stay he will have to drop the long ball game. It was evident against Ayr time and time again. Hopeful long balls were knocked up the field and usually came straight back.

It makes no sense given the height of most of the current Hibs squad apart from anything else.

Phil MaGlass
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Im never one to pick up on contradictions BUT....

Springbank
11-01-2011, 04:25 PM

do not feed the droll :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Great post Doddie, really tugs at the old heartstrings and I'm sure Winston C. would be extremely proud of it!

Thinking of the emotions there you are right, I think we are forgetting what it means to be a hibs fan and the raw unwavering support we give without question.

I agree it was a good piece by Doddie, but when did we have a support like that?

Jimmy Belter
11-01-2011, 04:46 PM
NOT YOGI PLAYERS.............& HE STILL GOT 4th WITH THIS LOT

Hogg,Thicot,Currie,Hanlon,Murray,Rankin,Stevenson, Welsh,Wotherspoon,Nish,Riordarn,Byre,Gallbrath,Zem ma(Not Yogi players).(THINK AS THEY ALL OUT OF CONTRACT... HE WAS MOVING THEM ON) WHO WOULD YOU KEEP ?

When Yogi was installed the squad included aswell.......

Gray,Rosa,Chisholm,O`Brien,,Campbell,Keenan, Van Van Zan,McCormack, Johnanson...................all out. WHO WOULD YOU HAVE KEPT ?

greenlex
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
NOT YOGI PLAYERS.............& HE STILL GOT 4th WITH THIS LOT

Hogg,Thicot,Currie,Hanlon,Murray,Rankin,Stevenson, Welsh,Wotherspoon,Nish,Riordarn,Byre,Gallbrath,Zem ma(Not Yogi players).(THINK AS THEY ALL OUT OF CONTRACT... HE WAS MOVING THEM ON) WHO WOULD YOU KEEP ?

When Yogi was installed the squad included aswell.......

Gray,Rosa,Chisholm,O`Brien,,Campbell,Keenan, Van Van Zan,McCormack, Johnanson...................all out. WHO WOULD YOU HAVE KEPT ?
:greengrin

Iain G
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM

And in a nutshell, the main issue with the modern Hibs supporter, always looking for and trying to find that negative issue to have a whinge about instead of looking for the positives to support... :wink::devil:

bingo70
11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
So when did Colin Calderwood join Chelsea? :confused:

He played with Mansfield, Swindon, Spurs, Villa and Forest.

If he does stay he will have to drop the long ball game. It was evident against Ayr time and time again. Hopeful long balls were knocked up the field and usually came straight back.

It makes no sense given the height of most of the current Hibs squad apart from anything else.

Your right enough, i was being a dick and getting him mixed up with Steve Clarke

I blame Mikey :greengrin

One Day Soon
11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Excellent post sir. :top marks

Some of the kak on this thread is astonishing :rolleyes:
I fully expect at least 1 or 2 new faces this wk.

I agree and I think one of the most pressing issues is to get one or two new faces onto this messageboard this week. The quality has been going downhill for some time and not just under CC. Frankly there were a significant number of people posting total garbage as far back as both Hughes and Mixu. Who signed these posters and why haven't they been moved on? Many of them just are not Hibs class. What we really need is a linguistic midfield dynamo, someone in the hard hitting editorial mode of a Matty Jack with a typewriter.

After all we have invested in one of the best messageboard facilities in the country. Its redevelopment has been fully completed and with the most modern of servers. Despite that we don't seem to produce the raw young talent of critics, writers and contributors we would expect. Why is that? What are they doing at virtual East Mains all day?

Its all very well seeing them move on to the message boards of the Guardian, the Scotsman and the Evening News but surely we should be investing in holding on to them until they are ready to step up to the bigger leagues. After all the Yams seem to manage to hold on to their armchair critics quite well and while Brokebank is madder than a box of frogs on speed surely we need to aspire to at least their level?

Don't worry though, there will be another 'but won't someone please think of the children' poster along in a minute to nail Petrie/Calderwood/Riordan/the fans and demand instant gratification from a team so badly in decline that it requires an almost complete fresh start and months, if not years, of rebuilding.

Anyone who thinks that a) we should be rebuilding heavily during a January window when the best players are already on contracts and b) that because we haven't signed anyone yet when there are still 20 days of the window (that's two thirds of the window) to go then CC must be a failure, needs to go back to their Playstation and resume the fantasy management of whichever footballer manager game it is they are playing.

basehibby
12-01-2011, 01:16 AM

:top marksgreat post! Our situation is not down to the fans but we don't help sometimes with the scapegoat mentality that's all too prevalent sometimes - we need to keep on getting behind the team - all of them! - and do our best to help them turn the corner. I think it would be crazy to part ways with Calderwood already. We need to show a little patience and hope that with the right backing he can bring in the sort of players to stedady the ship and start climbing the league again.