PDA

View Full Version : losing interest... do i need help

strummbo
09-01-2011, 10:30 PM
rapidly loosing interest in all things scottish football let alone hibs. anyone else feel like this?

Hibercelona
09-01-2011, 10:33 PM
rapidly loosing interest in all things scottish football let alone hibs. anyone else feel like this?

:agree:

I reckon you'll find the same with the vast majority.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Its going down the pan!

'Mon the Hibs
09-01-2011, 11:25 PM
:agree: thank god for sky sports/espn - EPL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundeslig

Standard of the teams/players, lack of investment, no wow factor, crap national team/coach, OF monopoly (and even they're so poor that they are there for the taking but the rest of the league is so so so much more poorer) and the biggest problem of all..... Hibs are as rank now as they were 7 years ago under Blobby, if not, more so!

My interest in Scottish football is dwindling fast.......

:yawn:

James70
09-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Sounds like you're suffering from apathy like the rest of us but who cares.

snooky
09-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Its going down the pan!

My apathy for the National side started about 10 years ago and it's now at the point where I don't even care if Scotland win or lose or, indeed play.

Sad to report this 'disinterest disease' is beginning to show signs of creeping in closer to home.

Jones28
09-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Had more fun watching the Leicester game tonight with a few mates than I have done all season at Easter Road TBH

.Sean.
09-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Everybody feels the same. Scottish football as a whole is stale and boring. It's massively over-priced and you're disregarded by those at the top. I can't remember when I last attended a match, either home or away, and really enjoyed myself.

The game in this country needs a massive overhaul, starting at the very top.

Pretty Boy
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Everybody feels the same. Scottish football as a whole is stale and boring. It's massively over-priced and you're disregarded by those at the top. I can't remember when I last attended a match, either home or away, and really enjoyed myself.

The game in this country needs a massive overhaul, starting at the very top.

:top marks

Pretty much sums up my feeling on the whole thing.

I've not enjoyed going to games for months now, some of this is personal circumstances but mostly it's the quality on offer.

As you say we are disregarded by those at the top and the fact a decent majority of fans are against a 10 team league but the money men will find a way to force it through says it all for me.

CB_NO3
10-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Its well and truely on its last legs. In a way I hope it goes tits up to show all those daft weedgie gets in the SFA that they have ruined it. The problem with Scotland aswell is our fans just sit on their backside and accept it. They tried to put prices up in Germany a few months back and thousands of fans from every club had a large protest outside the German FA headquarters, were as we just whinge about it on a messageboard and do nout about it.

Haggis Hibby
10-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Felt like that for years,,, dont even watch scottish games on tv.... couldnt even tell u hibs next 3 games and im a season ticket holder,,,,

game needs to change,,, 16 team league... playoff for european places....

vahibbie
10-01-2011, 01:33 AM

The trouble is, you probably won't get everyone back again when (if) things turn around. Plus the product on show is hardly going to entice many new-comers.

I'm_cabbaged
10-01-2011, 06:53 AM
:agree: thank god for sky sports/espn - EPL, La Liga, Serie A anBundesligd

Standard of the teams/players, lack of investment, no wow factor, crap national team/coach, OF monopoly (and even they're so poor that they are there for the taking but the rest of the league is so so so much more poorer) and the biggest problem of all..... Hibs are as rank now as they were 7 years ago under Blobby, if not, more so!

My interest in Scottish football is dwindling fast.......

:yawn:

Ironicly I think that is part of the problem, Scottish football has always been ****, it's just we never had anything to compare it against until all this live tv IMO.

lord bunberry
10-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I think the biggest problem is that we try and compare scottish football with. The english premier league which maybe 20 years ago compared pretty well but now is miles ahead of us. I like everyone else is a bit bored with the spl but a lot of.that is down to hibs being so bad of late if you ask jambos or killie fans there opinion I would imagine you would get a more positive answer. Keep the faith the hibees will be back

Septimus
10-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Scottish football has always been ****, it's just we never had anything to compare it against until all this live tv IMO.

Scottish football has most certainly not always been ****. The Coronation Cup proved that if nothing else. There was a time when one third of the players in the English First Division were Scots. Maybe we did the missionary work too well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2011, 07:43 AM
My apathy for the National side started about 10 years ago and it's now at the point where I don't even care if Scotland win or lose or, indeed play.

Sad to report this 'disinterest disease' is beginning to show signs of creeping in closer to home.

The National side particularly away still holds my interest, could be the trip more than the game though!

Green_one
10-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Even if Scottish football had held up its standards, it would be be struggling against the SKY Sports Premier League Top 5 view of football that now pervades the UK.

Now, with no cash, no quality young players coming through and a tired, semi suicidal SPL group of clubs, it is not surprising that the fans are fed up. They get no say in what happens (note recent proposed league changes) and report after report promising change produces ....... ZERO.

Apart from the significant ground improvements at ER, I can see nothing better at Hibs than 30 years ago. Most things are worse for the fan. The cost of the game is way beyond its value and compares badly against most other forms of 'entertainment'. Frankly I often wonder why I go. Its an illness!!!

A radical change is needed but that will never happen.

YehButNoBut
10-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I was reading the easyjet in flight magazine last week which had a great article on St Pauli who play in Hamburg and are now in the Bundesliga, was a great article and showed that football can still be enjoyed by the fans (win, lose or draw), season tickets are only around 160 euros.

Extract below and full article here.

http://traveller.easyjet.com/features/2011/01/football-hamburg-st-pauli

Increasingly, fans bored with the corporate entities their clubs have become are looking further afield to sate their football fix. Stadiums such as the San Siro in Milan, the Camp Nou in Barcelona and Old Trafford in Manchester have always been places of pilgrimage for the football connoisseur, but scratch below the surface and there are countless unforgettable weekends to be had in all manner of cities boasting top-flight teams. And one of them is slap bang in the middle of Hamburg, at FC St Pauli.

As a full match-day experience, a game at FC St Pauli - recently promoted to the Bundesliga in Germany - is up there with any footballing city. Here, going to the game isn't just a question of turning up at quarter to three and leaving again at five. Match-day in St Pauli lasts at least 12 hours, starting in a fan pub and ending perhaps with a demonstration, not against season-ticket prices (the typical season ticket is €160 - less than €10 a game) but a call to action against the gentrification of the area.

This is truly a team of the local community, and fans begin to gather around the stadium at least two hours before kick-off. They sing songs, secure the remaining tickets and queue up for the club shop, where the unofficial logo of a skull and crossbones is proudly printed across everything. Spending a day with these supporters is like joining a friendly cult; an infectious, eye-opening experience, a reminder, perhaps, of what football was like before it became just another form of expensive entertainment. It feels independent, individual - even a little bit punk.
The night before finds fans gathered in bars near the stadium, pondering the forthcoming game. "I think we'll lose, maybe 3-0," says one, nursing a pint of the local brew, Holsten. "But it doesn't matter. FC St Pauli are about the party. We are loving playing in the Bundesliga again, but we would all be here even if we weren't."

He's not wrong about the party. The atmosphere the following day is more like a rock concert than a football match, as the team walk out to the white noise of the club's theme song, AC/DC's Hells Bells, and the guttural roar of the crowd. Everyone seems to have a brown-and-white flag, and even when the previous night's pessimism comes to pass (FC St Pauli fail to score and eventually lose to a late winner), the exhausted players embark upon a lap of honour to a rapturous reception. The famous football refrain You'll Never Walk Alone, famously sung by Liverpudlians Gerry & The Pacemakers and first adopted by Liverpool FC, echoes around the Millerntor stadium - in English. And the Liverpudlian connection goes some way to explaining FC St Pauli's appeal.

CB_NO3
10-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I was reading the easyjet in flight magazine last week which had a great article on St Pauli who play in Hamburg and are now in the Bundesliga, was a great article and showed that football can still be enjoyed by the fans (win, lose or draw), season tickets are only around 160 euros.

Extract below and full article here.

http://traveller.easyjet.com/features/2011/01/football-hamburg-st-pauli

Increasingly, fans bored with the corporate entities their clubs have become are looking further afield to sate their football fix. Stadiums such as the San Siro in Milan, the Camp Nou in Barcelona and Old Trafford in Manchester have always been places of pilgrimage for the football connoisseur, but scratch below the surface and there are countless unforgettable weekends to be had in all manner of cities boasting top-flight teams. And one of them is slap bang in the middle of Hamburg, at FC St Pauli.

As a full match-day experience, a game at FC St Pauli - recently promoted to the Bundesliga in Germany - is up there with any footballing city. Here, going to the game isn't just a question of turning up at quarter to three and leaving again at five. Match-day in St Pauli lasts at least 12 hours, starting in a fan pub and ending perhaps with a demonstration, not against season-ticket prices (the typical season ticket is €160 - less than €10 a game) but a call to action against the gentrification of the area.

This is truly a team of the local community, and fans begin to gather around the stadium at least two hours before kick-off. They sing songs, secure the remaining tickets and queue up for the club shop, where the unofficial logo of a skull and crossbones is proudly printed across everything. Spending a day with these supporters is like joining a friendly cult; an infectious, eye-opening experience, a reminder, perhaps, of what football was like before it became just another form of expensive entertainment. It feels independent, individual - even a little bit punk.
The night before finds fans gathered in bars near the stadium, pondering the forthcoming game. "I think we'll lose, maybe 3-0," says one, nursing a pint of the local brew, Holsten. "But it doesn't matter. FC St Pauli are about the party. We are loving playing in the Bundesliga again, but we would all be here even if we weren't."

He's not wrong about the party. The atmosphere the following day is more like a rock concert than a football match, as the team walk out to the white noise of the club's theme song, AC/DC's Hells Bells, and the guttural roar of the crowd. Everyone seems to have a brown-and-white flag, and even when the previous night's pessimism comes to pass (FC St Pauli fail to score and eventually lose to a late winner), the exhausted players embark upon a lap of honour to a rapturous reception. The famous football refrain You'll Never Walk Alone, famously sung by Liverpudlians Gerry & The Pacemakers and first adopted by Liverpool FC, echoes around the Millerntor stadium - in English. And the Liverpudlian connection goes some way to explaining FC St Pauli's appeal.

Your spot on mate. Me, my brother and cousin went to Frankfurt in November to watch Eintracht Frankfurt v Schalke. The match ticket, flights and hotel for 2 nights cost us about £120 all in. The match was 0-0 but was a great day out. The stadiums are great, the atmosphere is electric, you get a train from the city centre to the stadium free of charge with your match day ticket. There was a terracing for 6000 fans behind the goal were you could stand, you could get a pint if you wanted, everything about it was class. Football in Germany is all about the fans. Now you get our rubbish wee country and everything about football is wrong.

About 5 year ago I used to be gutted about missing a Hibs game, now it feels like a chore going to the game.

MB62
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
If we are talking about Scottish Football, rather than the problems with our own club at the moment, then the problem and answer IMO is quite straight forward, THE OLD FIRM.
I watched about 5 minutes of the Berwick v Dodgers game yesterday and during that short time, I spotted an Irish Tri-colour with wording on it about them being HAWICK CELTIC. THAT, I'm afraid is where the problem is, far too many hangers on/bigots/glory hunters from all over Scotland all attaching themselves to the OF.
Probably in the majority of cases, they will only watch their chosen OF team once or twice a season, but they WILL NOT GO TO ANY OTHER LOCAL GAMES.
The number of OF 'fans' (?) in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee etc only takes away support from Hibs, Yams, Aberdeen and the two Dundee teams, giving us very little chance of competing against them financially and therefore on the park.
This is unfortunately never going to change and it means every other club rely on the OF visiting them 3 or 4 times a season for the gate money.
It is also why we can never change back to a 16 or 18 team league, it might be the answer for the fans but the it would be a financial disaster for the clubs and we are going to be stuck with the 12 team league set up for ever and a day.
The 10-2 vote for change was probably put in place to protect the interest of the OF as they would always vote together, but voting to change from 12 to 10 teams is Turkeys voting for Christmas as relegation could ruin clubs.

Of course things are exaggerated at the moment because we are presently being asked to pay to watch probably the worst Hibs team in my liviing memory, even a change of manager has not improved things, in fact IMO it has made things worse as he seems clueless as to how to change our fortunates for the better.
I am like others on here and have just now stopped going, The Aberdeen game was the final straw for me as I once again saw nothing that looked remotely like a team capable of playing any sort of fitba, and I will NOT watch Calderwood's hoofball.
So, bottom line is, Scottish football is effed and destined to plod along in the present state forever and a day.

Kaiser_Sauzee
10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Not just Scottish football for me - ALL football.

I only support Hibernian and don't identify with 'Barca' or Liverpool or anyone like that.

The money men have ruined the beautiful game. :rolleyes:

Hibernia Na Eir
10-01-2011, 01:55 PM
yip, im in same boat mate.

other big nations like Italy, Germany and Czech have all seen a decline in attendances over the years due to lack of interest.

Lets form a Hibernian Darts Club? :-)

tony
10-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I agree that football across the world is going through a crisis, with the bigger teams moving further away from the smaller. It is worse in those places that have lost touch with the core support, places like Scotland. We should look to Germany as a football mad country where supporters have a real say in the way their game is run. I have enjoyed a couple of Bundesliga games - Nuremberg and Berlin - and they have both been great fun, and incredible value. I've also watched a few games in Denmark, where teams are supported much more by the whole community and families enjoy the day out.

Our core support is going down here, as we continue to turn our back on playing football the way it has to be played to get people in to watch it. The 10 team solution will consign it to the rubbish heap.

Time for a revolution? I'd call for a general boycott of matches to make them listen and secure a future for the long term. (And please lets ignore the argument about costing the club money - the gate at the cup tie shows that if we play like s**t we wont have any income anyway). Lets follow St. Pauli's example :greengrin

Manxhibs
10-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I've been in Canada for the last 10 days and have had more enjoyment out of the ice hockey, than I've had from any hibs match this season (apart from the rangers game at ibrox). I got up at 4:30am to watch the derby and the lack of fight in that hibs team shocked me, my feeling of apathy is just going to grow unless we get some new faces and turf the wage thiefs! Rodney please sort it! GGTTH!

Purehibee_MYB
10-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I got up at 4:30am to watch the derby

You got up at 5.15!!

Ell_Chrisso
10-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Your spot on mate. Me, my brother and cousin went to Frankfurt in November to watch Eintracht Frankfurt v Schalke. The match ticket, flights and hotel for 2 nights cost us about £120 all in. The match was 0-0 but was a great day out. The stadiums are great, the atmosphere is electric, you get a train from the city centre to the stadium free of charge with your match day ticket. There was a terracing for 6000 fans behind the goal were you could stand, you could get a pint if you wanted, everything about it was class. Football in Germany is all about the fans. Now you get our rubbish wee country and everything about football is wrong.

About 5 year ago I used to be gutted about missing a Hibs game, now it feels like a chore going to the game.

This... ^

GreenCastle
10-01-2011, 05:55 PM
yip, im in same boat mate.

other big nations like Italy, Germany and Czech have all seen a decline in attendances over the years due to lack of interest.

Lets form a Hibernian Darts Club? :-)

That's not true in Germany - I would happily go to games there - cheap / good atmosphere / good day out :agree: