PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood's Team Selection

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Obviously he is not happy with squad he has inherited but

He has had time to suss who he likes and who he does not.

So the following moves in recent weeks surprise me (there are many more but for starters

Thicot - comes in from no where for the derby.
Nish - comes on as a Sub in the Derby and is not played yesterday.
Trakys - Not quoted one week then starts the next in and out like fidllers elbow.
Murray - Captain subbed all the time
Hogg - Brought in dropped straight away
McBride - Not quoted then suddenly appears.
Galbraith - not given a chance initally now a 1st pick?
Hart - In and out
Grounds In and Out
Wotherspoon In and Out
Dickoh - Dropped then back
De Graff - In and Out
Miller - Dropped and subbed.

The only players not to be dropped, subbed or mucked about with postion are Brown and Deek.

It appears to me CC has No idea his best 11 and very little faith in his players. CC appears to be playing bingo in the hope the right 11 fall together. I would have hoped he would have at least identified the dead wood by now.

Am I the only one concerned we are no closer to having a settled team than when he arrived?

Of course CC deserves our full backing but this constant tinkering can not be good he needs to identify his best NOW and put his trust in them until the end of the season, hopefully this will include 2 - 3 loans.

el capitano
09-01-2011, 04:07 PM

So the following moves in recent weeks surprise me (there are many more but for starters

Trakys - Not quoted one week then starts the next in and out like fidllers elbow.
Hart - In and out
Grounds In and Out
Wotherspoon In and Out
De Graff - In and Out

The only players not to be dropped, subbed or mucked about with postion are Brown and Deek.

It appears to me CC has No idea his best 11 and very little faith in his players. CC appears to be playing bingo in the hope the right 11 fall together. I would have hoped he would have at least identified the dead wood by now.

Am I the only one concerned we are no closer to having a settled team than when he arrived?

Of course CC deserves our full backing but this constant tinkering can not be good he needs to identify his best NOW and put his trust in them until the end of the season, hopefully this will include 2 - 3 loans.

it seems players get game time at easter road to keep the fans happy while away from home other maybe not so popular players with our support get game time.

BigKev
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I've wondered if he's been trying to encourage bidders for some by giving them match time and hopefully them catching the eye (fat chance) or perhaps having prior knowledge of scouts arriving to watch particular players i.e Hogg's couple of appearances, Thicot, De Graaf and Nish.

Of course it could just be he's trying without success to find a winning formula but that seems virtually impossible with the squad of imposters we've got at the moment.

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Hart - In and out
Grounds In and Out
Wotherspoon In and Out
De Graff - In and Out

That's because they are the only two players who have performed remotely well on a consistent basis.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 05:04 PM
That's because they are the only two players who have performed remotely well on a consistent basis.

I wont argue with that but why has he failed to weed out the deadwood and appears to have no idea of his best 11. The Team changes EVERY week we need a settled team.

scoopyboy
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I wont argue with that but why has he failed to weed out the deadwood and appears to have no idea of his best 11. The Team changes EVERY week we need a settled team.

I would argue Hanlon is a first pick now as well as Brown and Deek.

I wondered if he is chopping and changing his team so much is to try and keep everyone involved with the temptation of earning a new contract. If he told players they weren't getting deals they might just down tools.

fife hfc
09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
What I don't understand is a player has a good game then gets the boot and is not seen again. Lewis Stevenson against Utd then dumped for last two games.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 05:25 PM
What I don't understand is a player has a good game then gets the boot and is not seen again. Lewis Stevenson against Utd then dumped for last two games.

Thats what I mean that is a good example
Where did McBride come from ? He played okay but why was he now in front of Lewis?

Brads Laing
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Completely disagree with this post. Over the last few weeks calderwood has picked the team that most people would pick and set them up well. The problems we are having are completely down to the players.

thedoc_l
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Thats what I mean that is a good example
Where did McBride come from ? He played okay but why was he now in front of Lewis?

It's simple really. He needs to decide who to keep and who to let go. You can only make that judgement by watching them in a game situation.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
it seems players get game time at easter road to keep the fans happy while away from home other maybe not so popular players with our support get game time.

We can actually see what you have typed, please stop it.:faf::faf:

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 05:35 PM
It's simple really. He needs to decide who to keep and who to let go. You can only make that judgement by watching them in a game situation.

So Lewis plays okay then nowhere Why ?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 05:35 PM
He's just having a good look at everyone, giving them all a chance to impress. Seems to me he started with a clean slate, and he's taking his time seeing who he might want to keep, and who he wants to let go.

BSEJVT
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Dont agree at all

He needs to win games and get us up the table

If he does so he then has the time to suss out who is capable of what.

How is he ever going to learn anything about anybody by playing them this week dropping them for 4 then bringing them back?

I would hazard a guess that the players are confused, frustrated and disillusioned by his management style

thedoc_l
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
So Lewis plays okay then nowhere Why ?

Maybe he's made up his mind about Lewis. He stays?

BSEJVT
09-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe he's made up his mind about Lewis. He stays?

You must be a yam at the wind up?

Then play him

We are in serious relegation trouble, now is not the time to drop players you want to keep for those you aren't sure about

thedoc_l
09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
You must be a yam at the wind up?

Then play him

We are in serious relegation trouble, now is not the time to drop players you want to keep for those you aren't sure about

Not a yam and no wind up.

My guess is Stevenson will be offered a contract but will still not be a 1st choice. The manager chose to play Galbraith wide left yesterday that's why Lewis was on the bench.

it was also a cup game where he could try things out, you would have thought we could have played anyone and still won the match but sadly not.

Prawn Sandwich
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
It's no wonder the man is confused. The best I have seen Hibs play in at least two seasons was the 3-0 victory at Ibrox without Riordan. Empty the lot of them. Just look at Bamba's performance today at Leicester City. Why could he not do that on a consistent basis at Hibs? Man of the match and 6 attempts on goal.

OtterHibee
09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Dont agree at all

How is he ever going to learn anything about anybody by playing them this week dropping them for 4 then bringing them back?

I would hazard a guess that the players are confused, frustrated and disillusioned by his management style

Can't comment in any way on the thoughts of the full squad, but certainly in the case of certain individuals you're not too far wrong there. That itself is a concern IMO.

Calderwood has to be very careful. You cannot get away with messing players around, without giving those concerned reasonable explanations for decisions taken, and expect to gain their respect.

Good post by the way :agree:

woodyloon
09-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Agree 100%. Think he needs to stick to what he thinks is the best of a bunch of out of contract players amd try and convince them that they are good enough to lifT us out of this mess.

fife hfc
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't buy this guff about trying to give everybody a fair chance. we need to win games and if players play well they stay in for the next game even if it is at the expense of a supposedly far superior player.

On paper Miller is a far better player than Stevenson but on recent performances Stevenson has played better but gets dropped for miller to return and turn in two totally hopeless performances. I am not saying Stevenson would have been any better, but he done well against Utd so deserved to keep his place imho.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Dont agree at all

I would say nail on the head He needs to turn this around quickly even if he does CC is going to carry baggage.
He will and should get everyones full support until well in to next season. Unless the unthinkable happens

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 09:51 PM
far superior player. I don't buy this guff about trying to give everybody a fair chance. we need to win games and if players play well they stay in for the next game even if it is at the expense of a supposedly

On paper Miller is a far better player than Stevenson but on recent performances Stevenson has played better but gets dropped for miller to return and turn in two totally hopeless performances. I am not saying Stevenson would have been any better, but he done well against Utd so deserved to keep his place imho.

The trouble you have there, is ask 10 different Hibs fans to name their side, and you would have 10 different sides.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 10:05 PM
The trouble you have there, is ask 10 different Hibs fans to name their side, and you would have 10 different sides.

I agree but only one person gets paid to pick the team and he should know more by now than to not come up with 10 different teams in 10 weeks and thats exactly what he is doing.

Albion Hibs
09-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Hart - In and out
Grounds In and Out
Wotherspoon In and Out
De Graff - In and Out

I think he has tried to give most of them a chance. Players like Thicot have come in as a result of Hart being pretty poor consistently, McBride probably featured as a result of a two match ban for Miller coming up and him being keen to keep players like Stevenson available, part of the reason for Murray coming off I would think.

The likes of Hogg was probably given a shot due to Bamba getting ready to go and wanted to give him a game before the derby, unfortunately it did not work out for him so he has put HanlonDickoh in, hopefully that later gets changed shortly!!

We are unfortunately not going to win the league this year so he can tinker as long as he needs to so that he gets a formula that keeps us up and moves us up the table.

I am hopeful we will get a couple of players in to cover the few that may be leaving in this window.

nortonhibby
09-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Hart - In and out
Grounds In and Out
Wotherspoon In and Out
De Graff - In and Out

Good post

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I agree but only one person gets paid to pick the team and he should know more by now than to not come up with 10 different teams in 10 weeks and thats exactly what he is doing.

Not sure if i agree he knows his best side, in fact i'm not sure any of us do. We have so many players who blow hot and cold. :confused:

Gmack7
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
most on here (if not all) think nish is pi$h but cc plays trakys and i cant remember him having a shot on target yet

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
most on here (if not all) think nish is pi$h but cc plays trakys and i cant remember him having a shot on target yet

Which tells us all we need to know I'd say.

Toaods
09-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Thicot - comes in from no where for the derby - can't sustain an acceptable level.
Nish - comes on as a Sub in the Derby and is not played yesterday - away negociating a new club for himself
Trakys - Not quoted one week then starts the next in and out like fidllers elbow - struggling to get fully fit therefore no use.
Murray - Captain subbed all the time - cannot sustain his fitness, 90 minutes seems a step too far.
Hogg - Brought in dropped straight away - thank fk
McBride - Not quoted then suddenly appears. - shop windowed for a potential suitor?
Galbraith - not given a chance initally now a 1st pick? no, not good enough, will fade again.
Hart - In and out - been very poor since day 2, made a career of fighting relegation.
Grounds In and Out - hopefully just out soon
Wotherspoon In and Out hasn't progressed, infact arguably has gone backwards.
Dickoh - Dropped then back - inconsistent but not been here long, has skill but a bit of a dozyheid
De Graff - In and Out - get rid
Miller - Dropped and subbed - another to move on, think we've had our bit from him.

The only players not to be dropped, subbed or mucked about with postion are Brown and Deek. - apart from the odd shaky moment, no complaints with either

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Thicot - comes in from no where for the derby - can't sustain an acceptable level.
Nish - comes on as a Sub in the Derby and is not played yesterday - away negociating a new club for himself
Trakys - Not quoted one week then starts the next in and out like fidllers elbow - struggling to get fully fit therefore no use.
Murray - Captain subbed all the time - cannot sustain his fitness, 90 minutes seems a step too far.
Hogg - Brought in dropped straight away - thank fk
McBride - Not quoted then suddenly appears. - shop windowed for a potential suitor?
Galbraith - not given a chance initally now a 1st pick? no, not good enough, will fade again.
Hart - In and out - been very poor since day 2, made a career of fighting relegation.
Grounds In and Out - hopefully just out soon
Wotherspoon In and Out hasn't progressed, infact arguably has gone backwards.
Dickoh - Dropped then back - inconsistent but not been here long, has skill but a bit of a dozyheid
De Graff - In and Out - get rid
Miller - Dropped and subbed - another to move on, think we've had our bit from him.

The only players not to be dropped, subbed or mucked about with postion are Brown and Deek. - apart from the odd shaky moment, no complaints with either

Toads don't disagree but why does CC keep changing the team? He must have seen enough to know who he wants and who he does not. Unless he only wants to keep 2 players :confused:

HibsMax
10-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Maybe because nobody is playing with any consistency? I don't agree with your assumption that he should have figured out his best starting XI by now. That is only possible if individuals play the same week in and week out. This is not a case of "if it's not broken don't fix it", it's more a case of "it's broken and I don't have the right spare parts to fix it so I need to keep trying until something works".

If players play good one week then crap the next, what assumption is the manager supposed to make about that? He can't drop everyone.

ahibby
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I think the sub rules for the Cup are different from the league? If true that affects who he would put on the bench. Hart is injured and Bamba away hence the return of Thicot. He wanted to use Saturday to give Zemama and Duffy a run out and I can't say I blame him. Even a half fit Zemama caused them some problems (won't be as affective in the SPL) for a while yet. Trakys was injured but is getting back to fitness now. So there have been some reasons why he has done things differently. I don't go along with he is having a look at players. I'm pretty sure he knew what he had before Christmas from training sessions and closed door games. I wondered whether he uses a rotation system to rest players, maybe going by his own experience as a player. Or maybe he thinks it's best to pick horses for courses. If the latter is the case then that is unfortunate because a team needs to play together to gel and constant changing can be detrimental IMO.

Cropley10
10-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe because nobody is playing with any consistency? I don't agree with your assumption that he should have figured out his best starting XI by now. That is only possible if individuals play the same week in and week out. This is not a case of "if it's not broken don't fix it", it's more a case of "it's broken and I don't have the right spare parts to fix it so I need to keep trying until something works".

If players play good one week then crap the next, what assumption is the manager supposed to make about that? He can't drop everyone.

:agree: - we'd be livid if he kept playing the same players every week.

At the very least he's binned some, given some second/third/fourth chances, tried different formations. From this perspective he's a big change from Yogi and Mixu who never had a Plan B and also had firm favourites.

He might also be trying to prove a point - doesn't matter how many times you shuffle the pack, you still get the same bum hand...

We all hoped we'd get better, at least he's tried and he's trying. I thought the line up for Saturday looked good, the fact that we then played poorly suggests - to me - that too many players aren't interested, which will have something to do with how many are OOC in May.