PDA

View Full Version : Films that have made you shed a tear

Pete
09-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I've seen my fair share of films and I haven't once been moved enough to cry during a particular scene but I done so for the first time last week.

I don't know what the strangest aspect was in this...the fact the tears happened within the first ten minutes of the film starting or the fact the film was basically a cartoon.

The film was "up" and the first ten minutes blew me away.

Sure there was talking dogs and all that during the film but that's for the kids and it's credit to the film-makers that the adults are looking for bits at the end that make sense and tie in with the build-up that the opening scenes got.
I watched it expecting nothing but christ after the opening scenes I wanted to watch the film to the end and I was willing this old guy, who I felt I knew, to fulfill his dreams. The fact the kids enjoyed it was a bonus.

I'll have it as one of the best films created in any form. Absolute genius.

Steve-O
09-01-2011, 06:52 AM
I've seen my fair share of films and I haven't once been moved enough to cry during a particular scene but I done so for the first time last week.

I don't know what the strangest aspect was in this...the fact the tears happened within the first ten minutes of the film starting or the fact the film was basically a cartoon.

Sure there was talking dogs and all that during the film but that's for the kids and it's credit to the film-makers that the adults are looking for bits at the end that make sense and tie in with the build-up that the opening scenes got.
I watched it expecting nothing but christ after the opening scenes I wanted to watch the film to the end and I was willing this old guy, who I felt I knew, to fulfill his dreams. The fact the kids enjoyed it was a bonus.

Is a good film :agree:

Sylar
09-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Up was awful (not as a film, but for the tearjerking beginning). Not a dry eye in the cinema.

I also struggle every time I watch We Are Marshall :agree:

BroxburnHibee
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Being the big softy that I am there's been loads......

Its a Wonderful Life.
Awakenings
Philadelphia
Field of Dreams
Shawshank Redemption
Born Free
The Five Pennies
Green Mile
The Killing Fields
Mr Holland's Opus
Schindlers List

Loads more no doubt - never seen Up strangely - will probably do so now though.

Funnily enough ET left me strangely cold - hated that movie.

OtterHibee
09-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I was fine with that one, but talking of crying at cartoons, I watched 'The Fox and the Hound' with my youngest cousin the other week and was reminded of why I hadn't seen it for so long - :boo hoo: That was made worse by the fact that she never shed a tear, and she's an 8-year-old!

For some reason I tend to be unmoved by the films that have other folk in floods. 'The Notebook', 'United 93', 'My Sister's Keeper', 'Ghost', 'Forrest Gump', 'The Green Mile', 'Titanic', 'Schindler's List' etc: nothing. Yet as soon as I watch something involving dogs, wolves, foxes, and the like, I'm a goner. 'Marley & Me' (albeit not half as bad as I was with the book) and 'Eight Below' never fail to have me in tears. Those two are the only films that have ever had me crying openly at the cinema.

Pretty Boy
09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Total softie at heart so here goes:

ET
Schindlers List
Kramer vs Kramer
Green Mile
Stand By Me (especially now knowing what happened to River Phoenix)
The Jungle Book
Shawshank Redemption
City of God
The Blind Side
Philadelphia

Plus hundreds more that i can't think of right now. Pretty much any film that has a sentimental moment, an injustice or a happy ending has me greeting like a wee girl.

marinello59
09-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Il Postino got me.

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Just about anything with pathos will have my eyes watering in a cinema. It's strange, because extreme violence and gore on the big screen, no matter how well done, doesn't excite much of a reaction. But the most corny, smaltzy scenes will have me crying like a baby.

easty
10-01-2011, 12:44 PM
The Pursuit of Happyness has its moments for me.

Calvin
10-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Life is Beautiful is by a mile the saddest film I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

.Sean.
10-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Titanic
The Green Mile
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Saving Private Ryan
Ghost
The end of Band of Brothers

Big softie at heart :agree:

Bayern Bru
10-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Are we all softies then?

For me...

Stand by me
Lion King (when Mufasa dies. I'm not ashamed)
Field of dreams

There's probably more but I can't think of them right now.

Jay
10-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Up is one of the weirdest films ever - making you cry at the beginning! Good film, we have a Kevin marionette puppet, its brill :thumbsup:

I cry at anything so I cant possibly start typing or I'd be here forever. I cried at Dancing on Ice last night when that war hero guy skated and when Kerry skated (because of the song)

BroxburnHibee
10-01-2011, 05:19 PM
The Pursuit of Happyness has its moments for me.

Forgot about that one - cracking movie.

Marabou Stork
10-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Life is Beautiful is by a mile the saddest film I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

No matter how many times I see this film, I weep uncontrollably. A truly marvellous piece of cinema.

I thought 'Up' was really sad as well. I went to the pictures and it was only the adults crying which I found rather strange. Although 'Wall-e' had me choking back the tears as well so I'm hardly immune to blubbing like a baby at the drop of a hat.

Twiglet
10-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I'd like to add Wall E and Turner & Hooch to the list.

David_D
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
The end of Toy Story 3 does it for me, I always feel the tears coming makes me feel like such a kid.

Teo10
10-01-2011, 09:45 PM
The pursuit of Happyness
The Green Mile
Saving Private Ryan
Gran Torino

There are loads that make me shed a tear... It's not that hard though! Can't beat a good tear jerker!

CropleyWasGod
10-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Sophie's Choice.... I defy any parent to watch that without bawling.

EH6 Hibby
10-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Up is one of the weirdest films ever - making you cry at the beginning! Good film, we have a Kevin marionette puppet, its brill :thumbsup:

I cry at anything so I cant possibly start typing or I'd be here forever. I cried at Dancing on Ice last night when that war hero guy skated and when Kerry skated (because of the song)

I thought I was the only one that cried at that! :greengrin

As for films, I cry at everything, I've even seen myself crying at trailers for films! :boo hoo: I cried at the trailer for The Blind Side and for Hereafter which is out in a few weeks.

HibbyAndy
10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Two words. 'The Champ'

just_joe
10-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Field of Dreams was sad at the end but i didn't cry at it! Only film ive cried at was a film I watched on the true movies channel. It was about a wee kid who was really ill but was really living her life to the full but ended up dieing in her sleep at the end. I think also knowing that the story was true made me cry even more.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Titanic
The Green Mile
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Saving Private Ryan
Ghost
The end of Band of Brothers

Big softie at heart :agree:

I had the tears rolling during the episode of Band of Brothers when they find the concentration camp.

Although its not a film, some of the medical stories in Greys Anatomy can be quite moving too.

Peevemor
11-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Bigfoot and the Hendersons. :boo hoo:

One Day Soon
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Hmm.

Cinema Paradiso every time.

heretoday
11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
The end of Manhattan when Woody Allen is trying to dissuade his young girlfriend from going to UK to study after having encouraged her to go previously.

The New York Gershwin soundtrack adds to the pathos and brings a manly misting to the eye.

hibsbollah
11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Angels with Dirty Faces does it for me everytime:boo hoo:

Jay
12-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Two words. 'The Champ'

OMG Andy! Just putting those two words together starts me off never mind watching the film!

:boo hoo: See I am away again! :greengrin

WeAreHibs
12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Scarface, every time.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

hibeenicol
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Bigfoot and the Hendersons. :boo hoo:

Yeah thats the one I cried at. I also had a wee tear in my eye at marley and me.

s.a.m
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM

I actually cry at all films, sad or not. 'Up' took it to a different level though - I sobbed pretty much all of the way through it. Towards the end, I was just about recovering. Until Kevin got his badge......At one point during the film, my daughter (6 at the time) told me that we could leave if I was finding it too hard.

I had heard that 'Toy Story 3' had its moments, so I went reluctantly, and prepared. We got past the impending doom bit with the furnace, and I was priding myself on having shed not one tear. Foolishly let my guard down.......because that wasn't it.

nonshinyfinish
12-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I saw Up for the first time this Christmas, like so many others the start made me cry. It's fairly uncommon for films to get me greeting, another relatively recent one was This Is England.

A couple of months ago I read a biography of Garrincha which completely ambushed me and had me in tears - the latter part of his life was just tragic.

Dav1986
13-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Man on fire and gran torino are two films that have me bubbling...

Calvin
13-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Man on fire
Forgot about that one, definite onion cutter.

Biff Tannen
15-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Braveheart!!! theres aboot 5-10 diff scenes that cut me up!!!

Nowhere Boy cut me up as well........watching films like thes on a Sunday with a hangover makes it 10 times worse..thats my excuse :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
15-01-2011, 07:35 PM
watched changeling recently, true story and very sad, was tempered though by having watch angelina jolie for a couple of hours :greengrin

Betty Boop
16-01-2011, 12:19 PM
The Kite Runner.

cocopops1875
16-01-2011, 01:13 PM
most sports movies get me even the replacements :greengrin sad but true

cocopops1875
16-01-2011, 01:13 PM
oh and hardball g-baby rip :agree:

cocopops1875
16-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I saw Up for the first time this Christmas, like so many others the start made me cry. It's fairly uncommon for films to get me greeting, another relatively recent one was This Is England.

A couple of months ago I read a biography of Garrincha which completely ambushed me and had me in tears - the latter part of his life was just tragic.

was it the one with the hibs based foreword :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
16-01-2011, 06:31 PM
The Kite Runner.

Have you read the book? Oh my god! I've never cried like that reading a book in my life! I took it on holiday last year, probably not the best idea as I spent 3 days crying, I had to keep putting the book down cause I couldn't see what I was reading! The film was moving but nowhere near as bad as the book. Despite it being so sad I still thought it was amazing.

Hibs Class
16-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Hmm.

Cinema Paradiso every time.

Me too

hibee_girl
16-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I Am Sam :agree:

nonshinyfinish
16-01-2011, 09:54 PM

That's the one - the guy that translated it from Portuguese is Scottish, he mentions watching George Best playing for us in the introduction.

LamontHFC©
16-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Marley & Me.

Speedy
17-01-2011, 01:51 AM

The hibs forwards will do that right enough...:greengrin

Riordans Boots
17-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Two words. 'The Champ'

OMG Andy! Just putting those two words together starts me off never mind watching the film!

:boo hoo: See I am away again! :greengrin

Have seen it a hundred times I think - would still make me cry now :boo hoo:

cocopops1875
18-01-2011, 03:24 PM
That's the one - the guy that translated it from Portuguese is Scottish, he mentions watching George Best playing for us in the introduction.

andrew downie good family friend he works out in brazil :agree: have to credit him with getting hibs in that book well even tho we taught them how to play football :greengrin

Betty Boop
20-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Have you read the book? Oh my god! I've never cried like that reading a book in my life! I took it on holiday last year, probably not the best idea as I spent 3 days crying, I had to keep putting the book down cause I couldn't see what I was reading! The film was moving but nowhere near as bad as the book. Despite it being so sad I still thought it was amazing.

Yes, a very good read and so sad. Khalid Hosseini's second book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is also excellent.

EH6 Hibby
20-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, a very good read and so sad. Khalid Hosseini's second book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is also excellent.

Yeah I read that on the same holiday, probably not the most ideal books to take with me because I spent a lot of time crying but I read them both within the first 5 days, I couldn't put them down. I hope A Thousand Splendid Suns gets made into a film too.

Marty-Hibee
20-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I Am Sam :agree:

I Am Legend, when big Will and his dug

Others for me - The Lion King, Shawshank, Fox and the Hound, Armageddon, Remember the Titans, Radio.

The end of Lost almost had me going, between the fact it was all over and because it was pretty emotional, and the end of season 3 of 24, you know its been a tough day when Bauer's in tears!

col02
20-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I will admit to shedding a tear to quite a few films but first tearjerker for me was Watership Down when I must have been about 10.

The_Exile
21-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Running on Empty, I defy anyone not to be affected by that film, end of Toy Story 3 I had to look away and cover my ears, Marley and Me, Homeward Bound, the tv pictures on the news of all the snow falling on that old woman at the end of November, was tears of laughter though.

Jay
21-01-2011, 09:38 PM
........again not a film :greengrin but I cried at a prog on livingtv (I thinkl) called something like too fat at 15. There is one girl on it who was something ridiculous like 40 stone and is at fat camp in America. She never complains and always has a smile on her face. She has something wrong with her bones and has had loads of ops and I think was just very spoiled by her parents and ended up in the state she is in, never attended school and is quite baby like in her manner but incredibly likeable. She managed to walk up a small hill which was like me climbing Ben Nevis - very hard work but achievable! I cried when she did it.

CmoantheHibs
27-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Two words. 'The Champ'

The Champ always gets me too.There was a Norman Wisdom film had me bawling my eyes out when I was a nipper.Dont remember the name of it, just that although he was a nice guy everyone kept picking on him and eventually he broke down and went into a big spiel about how unfair it all was.B@###### :fuming:.Think it was a comedy too:greengrin

Sean1875
28-01-2011, 04:30 AM
the scene where william wallaces father is getting buried/cremated in braveheart always gets a lump in my throat, probably down to the bagpipes but really gets to me.
referring to the "banned" bagpipes after the official burial

Peevemor
28-01-2011, 07:48 AM
the scene where william wallaces father is getting buried/cremated in braveheart always gets a lump in my throat, probably down to the bagpipes but really gets to me.
referring to the "banned" bagpipes after the official burial

Well you can dry your eyes now because, like much else in the film (which is still very good) that's historically incorrect, as bagpipes were never banned as an "instrument of war". However one piper, James Reid, was executed for taking part in a rebellion even though he wasn't armed, and and only five others were prosecuted.

So there! :nerd:

Sean1875
28-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Well you can dry your eyes now because, like much else in the film (which is still very good) that's historically incorrect, as bagpipes were never banned as an "instrument of war". However one piper, James Reid, was executed for taking part in a rebellion even though he wasn't armed, and and only five others were prosecuted.

So there! :nerd:
thankyou, ill never shed another tear :greengrin

Steve-O
29-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Look at this picture and try not to remember greetin' :greengrin

http://www.influence-film.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/c3c5b739e9artax.jpg.jpg

Dashing Bob S
31-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Just about anything with pathos will have my eyes watering in a cinema. It's strange, because extreme violence and gore on the big screen, no matter how well done, doesn't excite much of a reaction. But the most corny, smaltzy scenes will have me crying like a baby.

I was drunk when I wrote that. Obviously I'm too hard to cry at films. CCS!

Besides, i've shed loads of tears at ER. To paraphrase Blobby: "if you want to cry during an afternoon, get yourself along to Easter Road."

Dunbar Hibee
27-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Just watched 'Marley and me' and never felt like that watching a film before. Unbelievable!

Dinkydoo
29-03-2011, 07:01 AM
I will admit to shedding a tear to quite a few films but first tearjerker for me was Watership Down when I must have been about 10.

Watershipdown is probably the most horrific film I've ever seen :shocked:

Films don't tend to make me cry to be honest, some do make me feel upset and have a great deal of sympathy for characters in the story but never really result in me physically crying.

Jackass 3D however had me in tears, but in an entirely different way:wink:

High five! :greengrin

ForeverHibs93
29-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Quite a few films I'll admit most notably...

Saving Private Ryan/most war films
Braveheart
Gladiator
Titanic
Marley & Me
etc..

SRHibs
29-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Awakenings - probably the most heart-wrenching film I've watched
Hachiko

Not much else that I can think of.

easty
29-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Awakenings - probably the most heart-wrenching film I've watched
Hachiko

Not much else that I can think of.

Hachiko was terrible...not in a sad way, just a general 'it was a crap film' way.

Hibernian Verse
29-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Seven Pounds anyone? :agree:

Removed
29-03-2011, 06:02 PM
My wife rates how good a film is by the number of tissues she gets through. I tend to use the same method myself :agree:

Peevemor
29-03-2011, 06:27 PM
My wife rates how good a film is by the number of tissues she gets through. I tend to use the same method myself :agree:

:tee hee:

easty
29-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Seven Pounds anyone? :agree:

Seven Pounds of overyped ***** would be more accurate..:greengrin