PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

500miles
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
The Ayr game was disgraceful. Too many of our top players were disinterested, cowardly, and out for themselves. Miller bottling 50/50's, Riordan's lack of committment, and his greed in front of goal, Zemmama's - understandable, but still not acceptable - fear of injury. These are players we look to for inspiration, and they cost us.

What was a bit of light at the end of the tunnel was Paul Hanlon. At centre half, he was solid, even if his distrubution was lacking at times, when attempting to link up to a static midfield. And then, at the end, when we flat, and there seemed to be no one willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck, Hanlon pushed up, and, for me, lead by example. Grounds tucked in, and Hanlon made the runs, caused more problems linking up with Galbraith than Grounds, and gave that little bit more than just about anyone else in a Hibs shirt. It mattered to him.

And therefore, for me, with no Ian Murray, Paul Hanlon MUST be captain. He is young, and he may lack in experience and make mistakes, but he takes responsibility, and gives that little bit extra. We need someone to lead by example, and Paul Hanlon could be that man. If we had 11 men with his commitment, we would have made it through today with, at the very least, our dignity intact. Instead, we have been embarrassed by the non-triers and the cowards.

PISTOL1875
08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
The Ayr game was disgraceful. Too many of our top players were disinterested, cowardly, and out for themselves. Miller bottling 50/50's, Riordan's lack of committment, and his greed in front of goal, Zemmama's - understandable, but still not acceptable - fear of injury. These are players we look to for inspiration, and they cost us.

What was a bit of light at the end of the tunnel was Paul Hanlon. At centre half, he was solid, even if his distrubution was lacking at times, when attempting to link up to a static midfield. And then, at the end, when we flat, and there seemed to be no one willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck, Hanlon pushed up, and, for me, lead by example. Grounds tucked in, and Hanlon made the runs, caused more problems linking up with Galbraith than Grounds, and gave that little bit more than just about anyone else in a Hibs shirt. It mattered to him.

And therefore, for me, with no Ian Murray, Paul Hanlon MUST be captain. He is young, and he may lack in experience and make mistakes, but he takes responsibility, and gives that little bit extra. We need someone to lead by example, and Paul Hanlon could be that man. If we had 11 men with his commitment, we would have made it through today with, at the very least, our dignity intact. Instead, we have been embarrassed by the non-triers and the cowards.

It has took you this long to notice this ???

dp00
09-01-2011, 07:01 AM
reckon too young to make him captain but i agree with what your saying.

Him and Dickov could actually make a good CB partnership. Im of the opinion most of our problems are in midfield.

7Hero
09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
hanlon and dickoh today i thought looked ok the full backs and midfield around them are awful..

hanlon defo a prospect, shame he will get sold the minute he reaches his potential..

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't burden him with the captaincy. I wouldn't even say he'd be a first pick next season.

I'd like a better central defender than he is at the moment. He might be a decent prospect, but is he good enough to drive the team forward, defend as if his life depends on it, does he have enough pace? He might turn out good, and a run in the side at the heart of the back 4 is probably the only way to find out.

I'm just yet to be convinced about the boy.

BEEJ
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
hanlon and dickoh today i thought looked ok the full backs and midfield around them are awful..

hanlon defo a prospect, shame he will get sold the minute he reaches his potential..
Grounds certainly. But IMHO Thicot was one of our better performers yesterday.

Perspective
09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Not sure I'd burden him with captaincy, but he'd be a first pick for me next season.

Would like us to find a new, physical centre-half to complement him as I'm not sure Dickoh is good enough.

Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Booth and potentially Horner are the only players I'm fussed about keeping at the club. And even that's based on potential.

3pm
09-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Not sure I'd burden him with captaincy, but he'd be a first pick for me next season.

Would like us to find a new, physical centre-half to complement him as I'm not sure Dickoh is good enough.

Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Booth and potentially Horner are the only players I'm fussed about keeping at the club. And even that's based on potential.

Totally agree about getting a physical centre half to play next to him. A Rob Jones type would be perfect.

Ferryhibby
09-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Are there any positives to take from yesterday and last week? said on a previous post bin the lot but at the moment need to start somewher and finding the correct defence is somewher to start, Thicot,Dickoh & Hanlon have done the biz in the past 2 weeks its time to let them have a run in the team get them playing together understanding each others game, a clean sheet yesterday, ok against a 2nd div team, but theyr doin not too bad in their div and confidence is everythin in a team, then another then maybe another brings a bit of stability to others in the side, when the rest of the team know the defence is sound then they start workin harder to get a goal or two just seems we have to go right back to basics to keep us in this leauge.

MacBean
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Age is just a number. Cristophe Berra was made captain at *********** and he has become a starter for a premiership team. Hanlon had that promise and more in his locker, he is the only one of late who has stepped and dug in.