PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan is not a centre forward

Hibbyradge
08-01-2011, 07:50 PM
He was woeful again today. Such a shame and not all his fault (although application is still an issue).

For me, Deek is most effective playing off the front two, with the ball in front of him. He offers nothing in the centre.

I'd have started with him on the right of midfield with Duffy and Nish up front, Galbraith on the bench.

When it became obvious that Zemamma wasn't cutting the mustard, I'd have replaced him with Galbraith.

Mowbray got the best out of Derek Riordan by playing him on the right. CC should do the same.

Edit: Obviously, I meant to say "left". Beer goggles, confuddled, physically insane.

Skol
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Pretty sure Riordan played on the left most of the time under Mowbray...and also often missed out in the big games

down-the-slope
08-01-2011, 07:54 PM
He was woeful again today. Such a shame and not all his fault (although application is still an issue).

For me, Deek is most effective playing off the front two, with the ball in front of him. He offers nothing in the centre.

I'd have started with him on the right of midfield with Duffy and Nish up front, Galbraith on the bench.

When it became obvious that Zemamma wasn't cutting the mustard, I'd have replaced him with Galbraith.

Mowbray got the best out of Derek Riordan by playing him on the right. CC should do the same.

Well you are correct that he is not CF...argued thsi long and hard to little effect...well those who wanted him there have got their way and the proof has been obvious for all but the blind to see.

Where you are wrong is hat played left in a 4-5-1 for TM mostly and therefore had little defensive duties with Brown / Thomson and Boozy or Stewart providing the graft and drive in the middle

3pm
08-01-2011, 07:54 PM

I'd play Riordan in 'the hole'. Awful the day though you'd never know the way he told his team mates where they were going wrong on a regular basis.

1875 NO 1
08-01-2011, 07:56 PM

deek aint fit. shouldn't be playing.

Never played on right under mogga.

May not be hear much longer...............trying to sell him in Jan.

GreenPJ
08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Riordan thinks he is a striker who can play through the middle. I agree he isn't and is more effective moving in from the left but the fact that he may be more effective in another role cannot account for his performance today.

He never worried defenders who are two leagues below his usual playing standard with either pace or trickery. His delivery from corners and free kicks was poor (bar the one that the keeper made a save at towards the end of the game) and trying to blame Galbraith when he had sliced horribly with only the keeper to beat was a disgrace. I hope is injury is not bad but a time on the sidelines will do him and us no harm on current form.

Hibbyradge
08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I meant the left. :doh:

hibsbollah
08-01-2011, 08:44 PM
trying to blame Galbraith when he had sliced horribly with only the keeper to beat was a disgrace.

Seems to be a regular occurence with Captain Derek at the moment. He was screaming abuse at Thicot for what seemed like 60+ seconds after the goal at the derby when what we needed to do was take the kick off and try to get an equaliser:rolleyes: Thicot was giving verbals right back to him as well.

truehibernian
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Seems to be a regular occurence with Captain Derek at the moment. He was screaming abuse at Thicot for what seemed like 60+ seconds after the goal at the derby when what we needed to do was take the kick off and try to get an equaliser:rolleyes: Thicot was giving verbals right back to him as well.

Arguing with a fan in the FF (looked like) while play was going on midway through the second half.

He is playing like a petulant angry young man at present. Needs to grow up a lot and start to be professional. His demeanour rubs off on the likes of Wotherspoon and Galbraith and they in turn become a little afraid on the ball as a result.

My thoughts at present are to mould a team with him not around.

shagpile
08-01-2011, 09:54 PM
For too long now the team has been picked around Riordan.
He cannot play up front full stop. He cannot play 'in the hole' with Zemamma in the side, as it leaves us very light in midfield.
Riordan & Zemamma are luxuries we cannot afford right now. We need eleven guys to roll up the sleeves & get stuck in & they do not.
Dump both of them--along with 3-4 others--- get in some hardened pro's to get us out of this mess.