PDA

View Full Version : The players are not blameless

HibsMax
08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Like in most teams, the manager is responsible for creating plans and figuring out how to get a job done...regardless of what that actual job is. But they cannot control everything. I would argue that a bad team with a good manager is likely to underachieve when compared to a good team with a bad manager.

The fact is that GOOD teams can strive in spite of the manager meaning even good teams with bad managers can still get the job done. I've seen it first hand (although not in a football context).

The guys are professional football players. They should be able to run, make space, pass the ball, shoot on target, tackle, etc. These are things they should be able to do in their ****ing sleep! We shouldn't be blaming the manager for their technical inabilities unless you believe that somehow he is draining them of their talent?

If the manager is coaching poor tactics and the players recognise this but follow blindly then they are not doing their jobs. If the actions of my manager at work are affecting the team's performance and I stand back and do nothing to help, I am part of the problem. A big part. If there is something that I know I can do to help out but sit back and do nothing, I am part of the problem.

I am not suggesting that the players rebel against the manager (we saw how well that worked last time) but they are definitely accountable for what we're seeing. The manager might pick the team but it's up to the players to fight their way into the team. And it's up to the selected players to fight tooth and nail for a result.

There are just so many moving parts to this whole thing and I honestly believe that when the players run out onto the field they should have what it takes to get the job done.

The only way that I would accept that CC is responsible for the mess we're in is if he consistently picks the wrong team and by that I mean selecting players who have no business being selected in the first place. Even if he selects an odd formation the players should still be able to adjust. I'm making the assumption that CC doesn't spring new tactics on the team on game day and that things are worked out on the training field in advance.

I'm not physically at the game so I can't see with my own eyes what unfolds on the pitch so I have to rely on what you guys say. I just have a really hard time accepting that CC is being blamed this early on in his tenure.