PDA

View Full Version : Is Deek a luxury or necessity

Hibby70
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Cant make up my mind on this one. As a team player he is a waste of space on the other hand he's the only one that can produce a bit of magic. Took a sore one at the end so maybe we'll find out next week.

Hibstrooper
08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
He's a luxury we cannot afford to be without.

truehibernian
08-01-2011, 06:01 PM
His lack of pace and his lack of physique was hugely exposed today and shows why he won't step up to the EPL level of footballer. Terrific when on form, but everything is missing from his game at present. Touch, vision, set pieces have been dismal too......and he looks unfit.

I so want Derek to do well and play at the top level but his attitude was all wrong today, as were certain other players I have to say. But will a Hibernian team actually become a better team (emphasis on the word team) without Derek......I am beginning to side with those that say yes I'm afraid :rolleyes:

hibeedonald
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
He's a luxury we cannot afford to be without.

our best player by far, but on the otherhand, 3-0 at ibrox without him?

GreenPJ
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Neither on today's performance.

just_joe
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I reckon that will be his last game in a Hibs jersey. Not saying that about his ability but I think hes away.

sahib
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
His lack of pace and his lack of physique was hugely exposed today and shows why he won't step up to the EPL level of footballer. Terrific when on form, but everything is missing from his game at present. Touch, vision, set pieces have been dismal too......and he looks unfit.

I so want Derek to do well and play at the top level but his attitude was all wrong today, as were certain other players I have to say. But will a Hibernian team actually become a better team (emphasis on the word team) without Derek......I am beginning to side with those that say yes I'm afraid :rolleyes:

It is becoming obvious why he was played as a wide midfielder by successive managers.

ancient hibee
08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
He was limping from the start today.Hope Calderwood has learned that you just can't play unfit players in these games-Zemmamma and Duffy were no where near fit.We would have been better playing Nish and Trakys and spend 90 mins.lumping the ball into the penalty area-couldn't have done any worse.

Cabbage1875
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Spot on, right on the money.

Hibercelona
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Riordan has scored a 3rd of our goals this season and has also played a part in some of the other goals as well.

I think it would be crazy to let him go. I really don't see who would replace his natural ability.

I reckon we'd be bottom for sure right now, if Riordan wasn't with us.

truehibernian
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
It is becoming obvious why he was palyed as a wide midfielder by successive managers.

True

But the question is, with the free-ing up of Derek's wage are we able to get in two (or three) goal scoring players who create a more balanced, structured team......or do we stick with Derek because of his past (and current) record).

I think the team is imbalanced in midfield and in the full back area. I am now thinking it would be better to offload Derek and get in players who can offer more to a team structure. Great, great player to have when things are rosy in the garden.....when the chips are down, Derek goes into hiding a little IMHO.

We are crying out for sheer pace up front and we don't have it with any of our strikers. Galbraith did really well today IMO and is worthy of keeping. The only genuine width and he also isn't afraid to put a foot in and win possession back.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2011, 06:12 PM

His fitness is something that is really starting to worry me. He looks like he is unable to put in a shift for a full 90 minutes so has to play in fits and starts. He was never lightning fast but his lack of pace is really noticeable now. Perhaps his alleged lifestyle off the pitch catching up with him?

On saying all that he is still the player in our team most likely to score aa goal. That in itself is worrying.

500miles
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Cant make up my mind on this one. As a team player he is a waste of space on the other hand he's the only one that can produce a bit of magic. Took a sore one at the end so maybe we'll find out next week.

The way i discussed it with my mate was that he can produce a moment of magic out of nothing, but you have to sacrifice shape and the cohesiveness of the rest of the team.

In a good Hibs team, he would be an ideal sub. He can make the difference in an instant, but with, say, only 20 minutes of the game left, there is less time for the opposition to take advantage of his frailties.

As things stand, he starts, but we should be looking for someone more solid, who can still get a few goals.

He was an embarrassment today, however, on par with Liam Miller. The way he gave up on some of the balls today, and how the number 5 just pushed him over was disgraceful.

GreenPJ
08-01-2011, 06:16 PM
The way i discussed it with my mate was that he can produce a moment of magic out of nothing, but you have to sacrifice shape and the cohesiveness of the rest of the team.

In a good Hibs team, he would be an ideal sub. He can make the difference in an instant, but with, say, only 20 minutes of the game left, there is less time for the opposition to take advantage of his frailties.

As things stand, he starts, but we should be looking for someone more solid, who can still get a few goals.

He was an embarrassment today, however, on par with Liam Miller. The way he gave up on some of the balls today, and how the number 5 just pushed him over was disgraceful.

He was significantly worse than Miller today. He is talented but he is not a team player and at the moment we need everyone on the park pulling for each other and busting a gutt.

Drewster
08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Riordan's attitude is everything that is wrong at Hibernian - He may have scored a third of our goals, but would we have scored just as many without his negative and destructive influence in the squad, particularly on the young players?

scoopyboy
08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I am a Deek fan but one question, if you were a scout sent to watch him in the last two games would you be impressed?

I certainly wouldn't be.

So where is he likely to go? IMO no chance of the Premiership or even the Championship so it could be he might end up with no offers and might end up staying with us because of no other options.

hibby67
08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
He a luxuary if we dont have a midfield to supply quality balls to him
there has been alot of deek bashing on the boards lately......

I am not saying he dosent have his flaws but he is one i would still pay money to go and see.......

Cant say the same for many other in the team

plhibs
08-01-2011, 06:47 PM
our best player by far, but on the otherhand, 3-0 at ibrox without him?

For the life of me i cannot understand how we put on a display like this and yet we are terrible in almost every other game.:confused:

Franck is God
08-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I have said this for a long time and been heavily criticised by some on this board for having this opinion.

We don't need a player that scores a fantastic goal every four or five games that doesn't actually get us a positive result. What we need right now are hard working strikers that defend from the front as well as contributing a few goals and assists.

Spike Mandela
08-01-2011, 07:03 PM
He is the only player in our team that takes us slightly above the level of Hamilton and St Mirren IMO.

Remove him from the equation and we are all much of a muchness with both other teams having squads used to the relegation dogfight.

GreenPJ
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
He is the only player in our team that takes us slightly above the level of Hamilton and St Mirren IMO.

Remove him from the equation and we are all much of a muchness with both other teams having squads used to the relegation dogfight.

And strikers that can score penalties :devil:

Stewboy
08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Can we rebuild a team with deeks in it? probably not

danhibees1875
08-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Are you trying to work out if we have to pay tax on him? :confused:

As much as he can be anonymous for the majority of a game and he isn't the fastest or strongest player, his goals speak for themself, I dred to think where we'd be as a club without this mans input. :agree:

Deeko :not worth

sunshine1875
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Hibs SPL Goalscorers this season:

Riordan - 8
Miller - 3
Hanlon -2
Hogg - 2
Bamba - 2
Nish - 1
Stokes - 1
Rankin - 1

Yes - get rid of him!!!

NiallGR
08-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I agree with both quotes below which are a total contraditction - maybe that is DR!

"He's a luxury we cannot afford to be without"

"our best player by far, but on the otherhand, 3-0 at ibrox without him?"

I know DR personally but i bleed green/white and for the very first time have doubts about his contribution he gives to the 11 players for 90 minutes!
If we could play our game like american football then DR is our man as we could bring him on and off as we please!!:shotdowni

GGTTH

Albion Hibs
08-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I think at the moment he is a complete luxury.

Without someone up front to bring him into the game he is almost completely invisable and does nothing for the players around him.

I think if we can get a big CF in, he will provide to be the asset we know he can be.

HibbyAndy
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Hibs SPL Goalscorers this season:

Riordan - 8
Miller - 3
Hanlon -2
Hogg - 2
Bamba - 2
Nish - 1
Stokes - 1
Rankin - 1

Yes - get rid of him!!!

Thats the clincher, Aye lets flog him in January as we have grafters in the side 'Apparently'.

The boys about goals..We could argue all night and all day AGAIN till we are blue in the face about his fitness interest etc, The fact of the matter is Hibs would seriously miss Riordans goals as thier is no other goalscores in the team.

Nae doubt someone will pipe up that he has only scored 8 goals this season tho :rolleyes:

A lazy overweight disinterested grumpy offside Riordan will score mare goals ( and dont you dare forget his assists) than more than any other player in the team, Yep lets get rid of him cause he's grumpy etc..:rolleyes:

Financial matters may well dictate that Deek leaves and if thats the case awra best Deeko..But please dont make up silly stupid post Hibs are better with out Riordan.

Not aimed at you BTW :greengrin

truehibernian
08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
The game must have been frustrating for him (and not wanting to give him excuses as he was woeful today)

Duffy and Derek played too close and at points were queuing up beside each other for the same balls that were pin-balling in the box................contrast that to when big Trakys came on, who tried hard and won headers......only to be far too far apart from Derek......he flicked a delightful header into the path of someone in the box, yet no Hibs player was there as they were miles away.....McBride was the nearest !!!

For me January would be a terrible time to get rid of him. But in summer I would look to build a side without him, for the benefit of the team. He really needs to work a lot harder IMHO.

Albion Hibs
08-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Thats the clincher, Aye lets flog him in January as we have grafters in the side 'Apparently'.

The boys about goals..We could argue all night and all day AGAIN till we are blue in the face about his fitness interest etc, The fact of the matter is Hibs would seriously miss Riordans goals as thier is no other goalscores in the team.

Nae doubt someone will pipe up that he has only scored 8 goals this season tho :rolleyes:

A lazy overweight disinterested grumpy offside Riordan will score mare goals ( and dont you dare forget his assists) than more than any other player in the team, Yep lets get rid of him cause he's grumpy etc..:rolleyes:

Financial matters may well dictate that Deek leaves and if thats the case awra best Deeko..But pleae dont make up silly stupid post Hibs are better with out Riordan.

Not aimed at you BTW :greengrin

There is no taking the above away, those are the facts.

He has also missed more than a few, notably the pen against ICT at ER, and I think one before that.

He is just not any use in the team we have, we need someone to bring him into the game. In all honesty how many times do you think he touched the ball today, how many times did he run into the channels?

I am not saying we dont need him, but to play him through the middle and expect to get a ball into him / hold up a ball and bring other players into the game is just unrealistic.

The last 6 or so games have shown that.

Hibs On Tour
09-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Craziest question on these boards ever.

I'm not about to defend everything about DR by any means, but for one he's more of a team player and grafter for the team than he was before he left for Celtic. He's still [easily] our best goalscorer and pretty much our only potential source of 'a flash of genius'.

Get rid of DR at present and we can wave goodbye to the SPL for sure. As it stands, because we have the rest of the team filled with journeymen - who might have 'engines' and run all day but don't have any of his talent - we might very well go down anyway. I said earlier today that I feared what would happen if he got injured and was out for a few months. Not a single player in our team who is gonna pick up the slack in goals and I'm afraid ultimately when you have no goals you win no games and you get no points.

Mental thought...

YetholmHibee
09-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I have said this for a long time and been heavily criticised by some on this board for having this opinion.

We don't need a player that scores a fantastic goal every four or five games that doesn't actually get us a positive result. What we need right now are hard working strikers that defend from the front as well as contributing a few goals and assists.

:top marks :agree:

Drewster
09-01-2011, 01:19 AM

I'm not about to defend everything about DR by any means, but for one he's more of a team player and grafter for the team than he was before he left for Celtic. He's still [easily] our best goalscorer and pretty much our only potential source of 'a flash of genius'.

Get rid of DR at present and we can wave goodbye to the SPL for sure. As it stands, because we have the rest of the team filled with journeymen - who might have 'engines' and run all day but don't have any of his talent - we might very well go down anyway. I said earlier today that I feared what would happen if he got injured and was out for a few months. Not a single player in our team who is gonna pick up the slack in goals and I'm afraid ultimately when you have no goals you win no games and you get no points.

Mental thought...

I totally disagree, his attitude today with pathetic! As a striker he has no pace, no strength, and he's a lazy player who fails to encourage the new HIbs players in the team!
Derek is the sweetest striker of a football I have ever seen (with both feet), but we now need a team, and we have a number of good players low on confidence who need to be encouraged - Derek is a negative influence!

Septimus
09-01-2011, 07:20 AM
We could certainly do without the petulant spouting off at the other players. The man is a total prima donna with no team spirit whatsoever.

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Whether some people question his "work rate" or his "attitude" (not me) the fact remains he is the only player we have that ever looks like scoring.

500miles
09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Whether some people question his "work rate" or his "attitude" (not me) the fact remains he is the only player we have that ever looks like scoring.

Probably because the tactic when we get the ball in the final third simply seems to be "give the ball to Riordan".

The other players need to stop this mentality and take more responsibility for goals upon themselves.

Winston Ingram
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
I took my Aunt's stepson to his 1st game yesterday and he said 'why does the no. 10 just stand still all the time?'

Booked4Being-Ugly
09-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Aye, you just can't beat the weekly get rid of Deeks threads. One or two bad games and he's useless blah, blah!

So lets get rid of our ONLY goal threat at the moment and really put ourselves in the ****! If you ask any opposition fans who Hibs biggest threat is there's only one player that concerns them!

Celtic/Rangers apart, any team outwith the in the SPL would love to have Riordan in their side.

Lets look at the facts - from all the games that Riordan's scored in this season we've managed to win one of them and draw two - 5 points. We're 5 points clear of Hamilton but they have two games in hand, go figure!

One other thing, considering we're unlikely to add many players during the transfer window and probably wont add another striker, can the Riordan detractors please tell who from the current squad is going to get the crucial goals for us if Riordan was to be dropped or sold?

shagpile
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Mental thought...

His workrate is better than of old but, he is very slow, very easily knocked off the ball---scared he gets hurt actually----- & knackered after 50 minutes.

If you don't score goals you can't win games true,but if you don't concede goals then you don't lose gamesand right now i would take a few draws simply to get some points on the board.

Riordan is a luxury

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
From this lot of comedians,who should replace Derek?

steakbake
09-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Riordan is an above average player in a below average team. He is our only significant goal threat because our main tactic is to hit the ball and hope it lands on his feet.

GreenPJ
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Riordan is an above average player in a below average team. He is our only significant goal threat because our main tactic is to hit the ball and hope it lands on his feet.

You just hit the nail on the head. If it doesn't land at his feet he is not effective. I think Duffy had as many shots on target today as Riordan did. There is no point in playing Galbraith firing balls into the box with Riordan there as he is not the type of striker who is going to win headers or beat a defender to the ball so if we are going to persist with Galbraith then we need to have a different striker(s) up front.

Spike Mandela
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I took my Aunt's stepson to his 1st game yesterday and he said 'why does the no. 10 just stand still all the time?'

I hope you regailed him with the stories of the many glorious strikers we have had over the years who never stop running but couldnae hit a barn door wi a banjo fi 2 yards.:devil:

Spike Mandela
09-01-2011, 11:19 AM
You just hit the nail on the head. If it doesn't land at his feet he is not effective. I think Duffy had as many shots on target today as Riordan did. There is no point in playing Galbraith firing balls into the box with Riordan there as he is not the type of striker who is going to win headers or beat a defender to the ball so if we are going to persist with Galbraith then we need to have a different striker(s) up front.

well we had Stokes but he was deemed surplus to requirements.

Riordans Boots
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Luxury or necessity - I would say both.

However, I can't believe that I am actually typing this .....

I would not blame Derek Riordan for moving on to another team and getting plenty bucks.

He has been a serving soldier for Hibs and he must be thinking "Why the **** am I staying here" - And with some fans whether it be at games or on the likes of message boards, he can't seem to do any right. :bitchy:

Hibs are pish with him - according to some folk, so god help us without him.

I will be gutted if Derek does go but I certainly wouldn't blame him.

ancient hibee
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Best pass of the day-50 yarder from Riordan inside the full back to Zemamma(doesn't bring others into the game!)

Best attempt from nowhere - flick onto the bar from Miller shot going well wide.

We must be the only team in the country with an asset like him who can fail so consistently to bring him into the game.

Incidentally he obviously wasn't fit because he limped from the start(doesn't try of course).

And of course he is naughty for moaning at players who cut in and have a shot when there are 3 players free in the box or who can't pick out a player with a 5 yard pass.

el capitano
09-01-2011, 11:57 AM
scorer of fantastic goals but iv never seen a player make so many passes to him look like a bad ball when it isnt. i think he may be a big part of our problem

moggie
09-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Best pass of the day-50 yarder from Riordan inside the full back to Zemamma(doesn't bring others into the game!)

Best attempt from nowhere - flick onto the bar from Miller shot going well wide.

We must be the only team in the country with an asset like him who can fail so consistently to bring him into the game.

Incidentally he obviously wasn't fit because he limped from the start(doesn't try of course).

And of course he is naughty for moaning at players who cut in and have a shot when there are 3 players free in the box or who can't pick out a player with a 5 yard pass.

Thats the difference sometimes, a good player would at least attempt bring himself into the game, not just stand and let himself be marked. But wait a minute oh aye he was injured, why do so many folk on here always try and make some sort of excuse for him????

Albion Hibs
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
From this lot of comedians,who should replace Derek?

Against celtic I would be tempted to go with the team that started at Ibrox, we won 3 nil and have not played the same starting 11 since as far as I am aware.

Riordan is struggling to get into the game through lack of a CF partner, he is never going to be able to play that role and bring others into a game, we have seen that week after week recently. When we manage to get that player I think he will become a more valuable player for the team.

Until we have that partner he would almost be better playing out on the left wing as he did under Yogi, he was far more involved in the games then.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I have said previously that we have to keep Riordan.

I think we should get shot of him now.

His attitude is a disgrace, his body language is shocking and is a terrible example to be setting the youth coming through the ranks at Hibs.

He is probably a high-ish earner at Hibs as well so getting rid of him would be best, we could get somebody else who will try harder on a regular basis.

He is one of the best finishers in the country but i think his attitude is the rot that continues to plague this side behind the scenes!!!

crash
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM

What game where you watching. Riordan wasn't great but he brought the keeper into action on at least three occasions that I can remember, had a goal disallowed for offside, and also hit the crossbar. Duffy had a shocker. If you think that Duffy had as many shots on target then I would suggest you book an appointment with specsavers asap.

fyfey
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Watch that 50 yard pass again.... he never ment it to go in behind the defender in my opinion - it was ment to go over him.

The best chance of the game fell to him and it wasnt when he hit the bar, it was when he scuffed the shot towards the keeper at the end of the game.

Riordan is a talented player there is no question of that, it has always been his attitude that has let him down, this is why he does not have many scotland caps!

I think at the moment the team would benefit from him not starting, give us more work rate as we are a very average team just now. Who knows this may get his hunger back?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I have said previously that we have to keep Riordan.

I think we should get shot of him now.

His attitude is a disgrace, his body language is shocking and is a terrible example to be setting the youth coming through the ranks at Hibs.

He is probably a high-ish earner at Hibs as well so getting rid of him would be best, we could get somebody else who will try harder on a regular basis.

He is one of the best finishers in the country but i think his attitude is the rot that continues to plague this side behind the scenes!!!

Brilliant, lets get another player who tries harder.:not worth:not worth The team is full of grafters, who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. I say lets get rid of them, and fill the team with quality players.

Craig_in_Prague
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
These weekly/daily Deek threads make me really peed off.

We have enough to be peed off about....... without coming on here and reading about folks question, or just to slate one of the finest strikers we've had in the last decade.

Jeez, really.

:grr:

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 12:14 PM
What game where you watching. Riordan wasn't great but he brought the keeper into action on at least three occasions that I can remember, had a goal disallowed for offside, and also hit the crossbar. Duffy had a shocker. If you think that Duffy had as many shots on target then I would suggest you book an appointment with specsavers asap.

Duffy would do better with a striker who tries!!!

Strikers as i am led to believe have to work together and form some sort of partnership. Like they are attached by a piece of string.
Riordan works alone and is selfish. Duffy didnt have a good game by any means but riordan certainly didnt help him!!!
Duffy not only had to try win the ball but he also did all of riordans running cause that lazy wee s***e refused to run and continued to moan like a bairn at the referee!!
He is the captain but i never seen him once attempt to encourage his team mates, what a disgrace and its a joke that he picks up wages every week.

el capitano
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Duffy would do better with a striker who tries!!!

Strikers as i am led to believe have to work together and form some sort of partnership. Like they are attached by a piece of string.
Riordan works alone and is selfish. Duffy didnt have a good game by any means but riordan certainly didnt help him!!!
Duffy not only had to try win the ball but he also did all of riordans running cause that lazy wee s***e refused to run and continued to moan like a bairn at the referee!!
He is the captain but i never seen him once attempt to encourage his team mates, what a disgrace and its a joke that he picks up wages every week.

derek has never played in a partnership striker role, its all about him every week. its only a matter of time before duffy trakys and whoever else r deemed not good enough on here and at easter road to play with him. our last decent partnership was nish/fletcher and this was broken when derek arrived

so i agree with u but maybe not as strongly as u

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
derek has never played in a partnership striker role, its all about him every week. its only a matter of time before duffy trakys and whoever else r deemed not good enough on here and at easter road to play with him. our last decent partnership was nish/fletcher and this was broken when derek arrived

so i agree with u but maybe not as strongly as u

He did fine with Garry O?

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Brilliant, lets get another player who tries harder.:not worth:not worth The team is full of grafters, who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. I say lets get rid of them, and fill the team with quality players.

Hypothetically, if Riordan is a poor trainer, has a bad attitude and moans behind the scenes. Would you keep him?
Even if it's to the detriment of the team? Yes, he scores goals when others cant but he is a poor example of whats required as a highly paid footballer.

Trying 100% should be a prerequisite of professional football. Ability, skill and leadership are what we pay a little bit extra for in the transfer market. I don't know what people's professions are on the board but i know i would get the sack if i din't try 100%.

el capitano
09-01-2011, 12:32 PM

garry played alone upfront 9/10 if i remember correctly, unfortunately this is thought of a partnership is mentioned too often and is now thought of true. funnily enough i dont think either of them have played in a good partnership to this day imo

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 12:38 PM

I suppose he did pretty good, your spot on. He did have a good team behind them with many fit, athletic players though. Brown, Whittaker etc.

I love Hibs, and genuinely think Riordan is class. Its just when someone is in such a privileged position as Riordan is...

He is captain and the number 10 of the club he loves and supports, with the added adulation of the fans and the god given technical ability to go all the way in the game....AND getting paid to do all this

This depresses me. he has to go. He does not deserve it.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Hypothetically, if Riordan is a poor trainer, has a bad attitude and moans behind the scenes. Would you keep him?
Even if it's to the detriment of the team? Yes, he scores goals when others cant but he is a poor example of whats required as a highly paid footballer.

Trying 100% should be a prerequisite of professional football. Ability, skill and leadership are what we pay a little bit extra for in the transfer market. I don't know what people's professions are on the board but i know i would get the sack if i din't try 100%.

Are you saying Riordan is causing trouble behind the scenes at easter road, and is a poor trainer?

Every player gives 100% imo, some play differently to others and have different attributes, and different ways of giving that 100%. I dont expect Ian Murray to bring the ball down with one touch, and spray a 50 yard pass. Just as i wouldnt expect him to do a challenge like Murray did on Black last week. Would you expect Berbatov to run around like Fletcher at Man U?

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Are you saying Riordan is causing trouble behind the scenes at easter road, and is a poor trainer?

Every player gives 100% imo, some play differently to others and have different attributes, and different ways of giving that 100%. I dont expect Ian Murray to bring the ball down with one touch, and spray a 50 yard pass. Just as i wouldnt expect him to do a challenge like Murray did on Black last week. Would you expect Berbatov to run around like Fletcher at Man U?

I am hypothesising that he isnt a good trainer based on how much effort he expends during matches and his body language in the same period. I am also basing this on what fitness coaches have mentioned regarding his effort in training so there is some fact to back up my rant.

I just watched Berbatov sprint to get a ball, yes he is a lazy-esque footballer but Berbatov looks interested, rarely moans and works as hard as he can based on the skill set he has.

'Trying hard' is a mental attribute, you don't train to try as hard as you can. You train to enhance skills, learn new techniques or devise tactics to break down opposing teams. There is no way Derek should be excused as a 'Berbatov' style footballer. See Berbatov's 3rd from a few weeks ago, he started a move in his own half then burst himself to finish the move on the penalty spot. The reason Berbatov appears lazy is because he isn't that quick, another 'technical' attribute.

I entirely disagree that all the players are trying their hardest

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I am hypothesising that he isnt a good trainer based on how much effort he expends during matches and his body language in the same period. I am also basing this on what fitness coaches have mentioned regarding his effort in training so there is some fact to back up my rant.
So basically guessing.
I just watched Berbatov sprint to get a ball, yes he is a lazy-esque footballer but Berbatov looks interested, rarely moans and works as hard as he can based on the skill set he has.
Does he work as hard as Fletcher? The answer clearly is no, so he's not giving as much effort as him, and if we say fletcher gives 100%, berbatov clearly is giving less.
'Trying hard' is a mental attribute, you don't train to try as hard as you can. You train to enhance skills, learn new techniques or devise tactics to break down opposing teams. There is no way Derek should be excused as a 'Berbatov' style footballer. See Berbatov's 3rd from a few weeks ago, he started a move in his own half then burst himself to finish the move on the penalty spot. The reason Berbatov appears lazy is because he isn't that quick, another 'technical' attribute.
Put Riordan in amongst those great players, he'd look decent, his skill wouldnt look out of place, and the good players would carry him through. Put any of our grafters in their team, they would stick out like a sore thumb

I entirely disagree that all the players are trying their hardest

You do know players try hard in different ways, and not everyone can run around at 100 miles an hour?

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
You do know players try hard in different ways, and not everyone can run around at 100 miles an hour?

Thats what i just said!!! Are you suggesting Dereks top speed is walking?

Can you enlighten me as to when he IS trying hard, is he putting ALL his efforts into his job?

Secondly, do you think his efforts merits the privilege that he has? If i was playing in that team i certainly wouldnt be looking up to Riordan for encouragement or leadership. I most certainly wouldn't want young children trying to emulate him!!!

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Thats what i just said!!! Are you suggesting Dereks top speed is walking?

Can you enlighten me as to when he IS trying hard, is he putting ALL his efforts into his job?

Secondly, do you think his efforts merits the privilege that he has? If i was playing in that team i certainly wouldnt be looking up to Riordan for encouragement or leadership. I most certainly wouldn't want young children trying to emulate him!!!

He has been praised last season and this one, for his hard work, and having upped his workrate. Or have i just made that up?

He puts his effort into getting in good positions, scoring goals and creating chances, if you want him to Run about like a headless chicken, you might want someone different in the number 10 shirt.

As for having kids look up to him, i'd bet every last penny his name is the name most kids want on their shirt, and he will probably leave us for another club, and gain a wage twice maybe three times what we pay him. For that privilege you get what you see.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I totally disagree with your take on the Man Utd comparison.

You mentioned players having different attributes. Yes. true. My argument regarding effort stands out as Berbatov is always moving, looking for space and on the prowl. Put Riordan in that team and he would stick out as he walks around huffing and puffing, moaning at the referee and hoping he gets the ball whereas Berbatov goes looking for it!!! There is a difference.

As for guessing, nope. I have worked with a fitness/sprint coach who has worked with Hibs. His words were "Derek is a terrible trainer with a poor attitude towards training".

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 01:31 PM
As for having kids look up to him, i'd bet every last penny his name is the name most kids want on their shirt, and he will probably leave us for another club, and gain a wage twice maybe three times what we pay him. For that privilege you get what you see.

there lies the greater problem of Scottish football that our youth have Derek to look up to. I don't disagree at all with the fact that most kids have his name on their shirt, just don't like it thats all!!

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM

You mentioned players having different attributes. Yes. true. My argument regarding effort stands out as Berbatov is always moving, looking for space and on the prowl. Put Riordan in that team and he would stick out as he walks around huffing and puffing, moaning at the referee and hoping he gets the ball whereas Berbatov goes looking for it!!! There is a difference.

As for guessing, nope. I have worked with a fitness/sprint coach who has worked with Hibs. His words were "Derek is a terrible trainer with a poor attitude towards training".

I disagree 100% about Riordan in the Man U side. I'm not for one minute saying he's good enough, but he'd get more quality ball, and have more options when he had it.

As for training, when i played some of the player i played with were terrible trainers, but when on the park, they were the best players. Football takes all sorts.

moggie
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Riordan and hard work :faf::faf::faf:

Riordans Boots
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Riordan and hard work :faf::faf::faf:

Hilarious :rolleyes:

EasterRoad4Ever
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Take Riordan out of this current side and you can switch the lights off on the way out. He is BY FAR the most entertaining player we have at ER by a distance. It is a crying shame that - as a Hibs Fan - he has to endure playing with some of the numpties, wasters, wage thieves and losers that currently reside in this Hibs team.

Keep Riordan and build a team around him. He is the ONLY player worth paying money to watch at ER.

Perspective
09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
He has been praised last season and this one, for his hard work, and having upped his workrate. Or have i just made that up?

He puts his effort into getting in good positions, scoring goals and creating chances, if you want him to Run about like a headless chicken, you might want someone different in the number 10 shirt.

He's only working harder in comparison to his previous efforts, which were zilch. He's not taken care of his body over the years so doesn't have the base fitness/stamina/sharpness to do it properly. He doesn't know how to press, make life difficult for an opposition player etc. These are football basics.

And it's not about 'running round like a headless chicken'. Why is it good enough for Messi and his Barcelona team-mates to work hard but it's somehow beneath Riordan? It's about intelligent pressing to win the ball back when you don't have it so you can be creative and do your damage with it.

His attitude to training is bad and he's a negative influence on younger players, while he doesn't help on the pitch when he's slaughtering the likes of Galbraith/Wotherspoon/Thicot who aren't exactly playing with much confidence.

A great natural talent, but he's frittered it away. I think his departure will improve the club. We can find the players to score more goals as a balanced team, with a group pulling in the one direction.

crash
09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Just in the interest of balance, I was at East Mains to watch an Under 19 game last year. The first team had been training, most of them were driving away as I arrived, John Hughes and Brian Rice were also leaving. I walked across to the park and noticed three players still training, working on shooting drills etc. they continued for about 45 mins. One of them was Derek Riordan. Funny for a guy with a poor attitude.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Take Riordan out of this current side and you can switch the lights off on the way out. He is BY FAR the most entertaining player we have at ER by a distance. It is a crying shame that - as a Hibs Fan - he has to endure playing with some of the numpties, wasters, wage thieves and losers that currently reside in this Hibs team.

Keep Riordan and build a team around him. He is the ONLY player worth paying money to watch at ER.

Unbelievable. Your spot on he entertains. It's if and when he decides. Far more to football than entertaining you. He is rotting Hibernian. Whats more of a crying shame is the fact that a guy like Derek Riordan has/had the ability to go a long way in the game, and chose to waste it!!

Perspective
09-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Correct, but people don't want to hear this.

For a 'die-hard Hibee', he should surely respect the club enough to be professional in his match preparation and the example he sets to younger players.

Won't post again on the thread because I don't want to sound like it's a personal vendetta. He's not the sole thing that's wrong at Hibs and isn't the only negative influence, but is symptomatic of a wider problem. His shortcomings depress me because he has so much talent.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Unbelievable. Your spot on he entertains. It's if and when he decides. Far more to football than entertaining you. He is rotting Hibernian. Whats more of a crying shame is the fact that a guy like Derek Riordan has/had the ability to go a long way in the game, and chose to waste it!!

Yet every manager continues to pick him. Shocking management.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Just in the interest of balance, I was at East Mains to watch an Under 19 game last year. The first team had been training, most of them were driving away as I arrived, John Hughes and Brian Rice were also leaving. I walked across to the park and noticed three players still training, working on shooting drills etc. they continued for about 45 mins. One of them was Derek Riordan. Funny for a guy with a poor attitude.

I'll bet he was practising shooting. It's admirable that he is dedicated but it's very easy practising the things you are good at, the best players will challenge themselves at the things they are poor at!

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Every manager has been sacked thereafter! Mixu, Hughes and left out at Celtic for some reason. I'll take a guess why!!!

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I'll bet he was practising shooting. It's admirable that he is dedicated but it's very easy practising the things you are good at, the best players will challenge themselves at the things they are poor at!

Why were the rest of them not practicing shooting then?

el capitano
09-01-2011, 02:17 PM

the last manager who made his mind up and substituted him at st mirren (i think, not 100%) had 99% of the hibs fans going absolutely mad, now do you think its easy to do again when you see what happened to that manager.

at the end of the day he will never be part of a good team at hibs, he will also find it hard to get game time in a hibs side with good players, he doesnt seem interested in anything apart from himself.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Probably the same reason that Hibs are in the state they are in. Players do not have the right attitude towards their work and commitment.

And we have no good players, hence why i said good players challenge themselves.

I agree with the above thread, this is not a personal attack on Riordan and there are other players who are not achieving but i believe he is huge part of the problem.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
the last manager who made his mind up and substituted him at st mirren (i think, not 100%) had 99% of the hibs fans going absolutely mad, now do you think its easy to do again when you see what happened to that manager.

at the end of the day he will never be part of a good team at hibs, he will also find it hard to get game time in a hibs side with good players, he doesnt seem interested in anything apart from himself.

So the last manager played him, but didnt want to. As for the last paragraph. :faf:
This manager picks him also, but we have a poor side. He's top scorer, top creator, but he'd struggle in a better side. :top marks

silverhibee
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM

If that was the case i do not think CC would be giving him a game never mind starting him, but dont let that stop you from making things up just to have a go at DR.
CC has said in the papers that he wants to keep DR at Hibs, since the manager see's DR in training every week then thats good enough for me why wee should keep him, i dont think CC would tolerate laziness bad attitude at training imo.

el capitano
09-01-2011, 02:30 PM
So the last manager played him, but didnt want to. As for the last paragraph. :faf:
This manager picks him also, but we have a poor side. He's top scorer, top creator, but he'd struggle in a better side. :top marks

you can put your wee smilie pictures up all you want haha, i dont know how to.

i dont think he would get a game in a good hibs team from the start, i also dont think he would be good enough to start every week in a hibs team working hard , doing well and up the league table. i also think at the moment our current manager is picking team to keep us supporters happy, u must agree zemmama for example is nowhere near ready to start a game also maybe duffy.

its wrong to single derek out as i have tbh, but he is not what most of us think he is when it comes to the good of our club

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
but dont let that stop you from making things up just to have a go at DR.

I love making things up about Hibs players. It begs the question why would I.

As a Hibs fan i am entitled to question, comment and hold an opinion.

Riordans Boots
09-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Probably the same reason that Hibs are in the state they are in. Players do not have the right attitude towards their work and commitment.

And we have no good players, hence why i said good players challenge themselves.

I agree with the above thread, this is not a personal attack on Riordan and there are other players who are not achieving but i believe he is huge part of the problem.

Go check back on your posts then Mr Magnum :rolleyes:

Infact - you sound like you are the sort of guy who could manage Hibs better :aok:

Oh! and let's just kick everybody in the team when they down anaw :agree:

Riordans Boots
09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I love making things up about Hibs players. It begs the question why would I.

As a Hibs fan i am entitled to question, comment and hold an opinion.

You like hearing your own voice as well :rolleyes:

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Haha. Yes very true.

I think there are alot of people on here who could manage Hibs. Would love to!!

I suppose i better retract, it was a personal attack, and merited. There are others who might get my attention.

Up next.....Liam Miller.

silverhibee
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Correct, but people don't want to hear this.
For a 'die-hard Hibee', he should surely respect the club enough to be professional in his match preparation and the example he sets to younger players.

Won't post again on the thread because I don't want to sound like it's a personal vendetta. He's not the sole thing that's wrong at Hibs and isn't the only negative influence, but is symptomatic of a wider problem. His shortcomings depress me because he has so much talent.

So when Yogi was at Hibs and he was telling the papers how hard DR worked at training and he was a great lad to have around the training ground he was telling lies, CC has said the same thing about DR as well since he came to the club, is he telling the fans porkies as well, why would both these managers keep playing DR on a regualar basis if he was lazy had a bad attitude and moans at the young lads.:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 02:48 PM

i dont think he would get a game in a good hibs team from the start, i also dont think he would be good enough to start every week in a hibs team working hard , doing well and up the league table. i also think at the moment our current manager is picking team to keep us supporters happy, u must agree zemmama for example is nowhere near ready to start a game also maybe duffy.

its wrong to single derek out as i have tbh, but he is not what most of us think he is when it comes to the good of our club

He's picking the side to keep us happy. You do know we can read what you are saying?

Perspective
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
So when Yogi was at Hibs and he was telling the papers how hard DR worked at training and he was a great lad to have around the training ground he was telling lies, CC has said the same thing about DR as well since he came to the club, is he telling the fans porkies as well, why would both these managers keep playing DR on a regualar basis if he was lazy had a bad attitude and moans at the young lads.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Neither manager, in my opinion, was/is telling the truth.

For the same reason as Yogi said he wasn't interested in signing Liam Miller the very day he later signed, sometimes managers have to keep things to themselves with the bigger picture in mind.

If Yogi had stayed as manager there was no chance he'd want Riordan at the club beyond the summer. Nor would he have survived under Mowbray or Collins' regimes. I don't know enough about CC personally to know either way, but he won't be here next year anyway.

silverhibee
09-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Derek wasn't always two footed, round about the age of 17 he started to work hard on using his left foot after an injury, is that the kind of hard work you talk about.

silverhibee
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Are you for real, because i dont see many happy Hibs fans just now, i think you are being very disrespectful of our manager if you think he is playing players to keep the fans happy.

el capitano
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
He's picking the side to keep us happy. You do know we can read what you are saying?

yes and yes

you act like your the hibs.net police, no need to its my opinion

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
yes and yes

you act like your the hibs.net police, no need to its my opinion

Stop it. :faf: hibs.net police. :faf::faf::faf: You do know managers get the sack if results are bad? Why would any manager pick a team he does not think is his best, just to keep the ever diminishing fans happy?:confused:

el capitano
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Are you for real, because i dont see many happy Hibs fans just now, i think you are being very disrespectful of our manager if you think he is playing players to keep the fans happy.

did u see the way zemmama was paraded at half time before coming on for the 2nd half 2 games ago, all done to keep us happy. i have never seen a player paraded in front of us like this before coming on

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 03:18 PM
did u see the way zemmama was paraded at half time before coming on for the 2nd half 2 games ago, all done to keep us happy. i have never seen a player paraded in front of us like this before coming on

Yes i did, but i saw it as him geeing up the crowd, creating an atmosphere. Are you saying he put him on, just to make the fans happier, but the team weaker?

bingo70
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM

i appreciate you've got the right to an opinion and as much as i value it thats got to be one of the most ridiculous posts i've ever read on here, and there's been a few stoaters recently!

A player warming up at half time before coming on for the 2nd half, who'd have thought it eh :rolleyes:

silverhibee
09-01-2011, 03:21 PM

:tee hee:

el capitano
09-01-2011, 03:22 PM
i appreciate you've got the right to an opinion and as much as i value it thats got to be one of the most ridiculous posts i've ever read on here, and there's been a few stoaters recently!

A player warming up at half time before coming on for the 2nd half, who'd have thought it eh :rolleyes:

aye maybe, unless u seen how it was done.

silverhibee
09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Neither manager, in my opinion, was/is telling the truth.

For the same reason as Yogi said he wasn't interested in signing Liam Miller the very day he later signed, sometimes managers have to keep things to themselves with the bigger picture in mind.

If Yogi had stayed as manager there was no chance he'd want Riordan at the club beyond the summer. Nor would he have survived under Mowbray or Collins' regimes. I don't know enough about CC personally to know either way, but he won't be here next year anyway.

So why did Yogi play him.

bingo70
09-01-2011, 03:26 PM
aye maybe, unless u seen how it was done.

maybe? there's no maybe about it, he came on for the second half so was warming up at half time, thats a fact, there's no opinions there, it's an absolute fact, it happened.

I did see how it was done, can't say i noticed anything unusual about it, remember he was wearing his strip instead of training top but it'd make sense to do that for him to get use to the temperature.

What else was he doing different that i missed?

el capitano
09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
maybe? there's no maybe about it, he came on for the second half so was warming up at half time, thats a fact, there's no opinions there, it's an absolute fact, it happened.

I did see how it was done, can't say i noticed anything unusual about it, remember he was wearing his strip instead of training top but it'd make sense to do that for him to get use to the temperature.

What else was he doing different that i missed?

wearing the strip for a start, playing to the crowd in the east stand,not warming up with the other subs, coaching staff making the situation look desperate . to me it looked like something from the theatre, i take ur point tho and appreciate where your coming from

The Modfather
09-01-2011, 03:35 PM

But most chose to leave him out when push comes to shove and we are up against it somewhere like Ibrox, see our three 3-0 wins, and possibly the 1-0 Murph game under Collins when we were awesome - although happy to take that back if he did feature in that game.

Fantastic natural talent, but hasn't/wont achieve what he could have in the game.

Removed
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
But most chose to leave him out when push comes to shove and we are up against it somewhere like Ibrox, see our three 3-0 wins, and possibly the 1-0 Murph game under Collins when we were awesome - although happy to take that back if he did feature in that game.

Fantastic natural talent, but hasn't/wont achieve what he could have in the game.

CC didn't choose to leave him out recently at hunbrox. He was suspended.

millarco
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Agree with the general point, though Riordan wasn't at Hibs when JC was in charge. Strachan never played him for Celtic though, I wonder why?

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Derek wasn't always two footed, round about the age of 17 he started to work hard on using his left foot after an injury, is that the kind of hard work you talk about.

Yes. Exactly the type!

What age is he now? 27? Shame he couldn't continue his early endeavour!

I am pretty sure we are both in agreement that Derek Riordan is/was an exceptional talent. Can you tell me if he has fulfilled his potential? If he hasn't, why not?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes. Exactly the type!

What age is he now? 27? Shame he couldn't continue his early endeavour!

I am pretty sure we are both in agreement that Derek Riordan is/was an exceptional talent. Can you tell me if he has fulfilled his potential? If he hasn't, why not?

What player do we have at the club thats fulfilled their potential? Most of that lot will never play for anyone as big as hibs ever again.:confused:

The Modfather
09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
If that was the case i do not think CC would be giving him a game never mind starting him, but dont let that stop you from making things up just to have a go at DR.
CC has said in the papers that he wants to keep DR at Hibs, since the manager see's DR in training every week then thats good enough for me why wee should keep him, i dont think CC would tolerate laziness bad attitude at training imo.

With the position we are in at the moment, CC would be mad to cut his nose of to spite his face and drop Riordan - who certainly is our most dangerous option, in what is a woeful Hibs team. Although that fact isn't Deeks fault, he can only be compared to what is currently around him.

CC is fire fighting at the moment, the fact he is playing Deek isn't an indication he wants to build a team around him (not that anyone specificaly said this). It means CC has to use the best tools at his disposal, limp along to the end of the season keeping us up by hook or crook, and then look to kick on.

IMO the fact we need so much surgery means Deeks deficencies are not the priority at the moment and getting rid of him, if that is what will come to pass, will have to be a staged affair. Again IMO, Riordan in a better Hibs side would be a great impact sub in the way that Ivan was, and too me it's criminal that that's the case (IMO) for someone with that natural!

What we should all be agreed on is the sad fact that Riordan should have achieved more in the game than he has with the talent he has/had.

crash
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM

More BS. Riordan was never left out for any of those games, I remember he played in the cup win, was suspended for the match this season, and wasn't even at the club for the Murph game. But hey dont let facts get in the way.

millarco
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
What player do we have at the club thats fulfilled their potential? Most of that lot will never play for anyone as big as hibs ever again.:confused:

How many have/had the ability to? Perhaps Miller but not many others, and that's a big part of the problem we have-too many players who aren't good enough to play at a higher level. For someone with so much technical ability he has done very little with it. Fletcher has achieved a lot more already, with less technical ability.

Alfred E Newman
09-01-2011, 03:57 PM
These Riordan threads are becoming extremely tiresome.
If any of you guys think that all our problems would be solved by getting rid of Riordan you need your heads looked at.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
More BS. Riordan was never left out for any of those games, I remember he played in the cup win, was suspended for the match this season, and wasn't even at the club for the Murph game. But hey dont let facts get in the way.

I can understand any manager maybe going with a five midfield and one up front against huntic in glasgow, without Derek. I can see the theory in that. Although against any other team in this league, i'd play Riordan every time.

Hibby70
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I've come to the conclusion that

a) The team would probably be more cohesive without him
and
b) We have nobody to score goals if we drop him

Therefore we will be relegated unless CC gets in someone to replace him that offers goals and teamwork.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
How many have/had the ability to? Perhaps Miller but not many others, and that's a big part of the problem we have-too many players who aren't good enough to play at a higher level. For someone with so much technical ability he has done very little with it. Fletcher has achieved a lot more already, with less technical ability.

Why are you bothered? Surely its better for Hibs we keep players that are good enough to play at that higher level? Why do you want rid of them?

millarco
09-01-2011, 04:02 PM

He was left out of the squad for the first 3-0 after rejecting Cardiff and was dropped for the cup game, only coming on as a sub. So not total BS.

scoopyboy
09-01-2011, 04:04 PM
My info is he is an excellent trainer.

It is hard to look good in this Hibs side but sometimes I do wish he would do a bit more.

Regarding dropping him, it is easy to say that on here but if I was the manager I don't think I would have the bottle to do it as we know what he is capable of.

My wish is we can get better players in to help Deek rather than replace him.

The Modfather

Fair enough, maybe I should have worded it better, but the point that we won these matches without Riordan is a telling stat.

I think it is an excellent point made by Magnum earlier about looking at Messi. How he has incredible talent, but he also applies that with sensible application for the good of the team. That example, to me is the difference between working for the team and running around like a headless chicken.

NorthNorfolkHFC
If any of you guys think that all our problems would be solved by getting rid of Riordan you need your heads looked at.

Read the thread. Nobody has said that. It would help our cause getting rid of him and my head is fine thanks.

I would say Riordan is the only one with the potential go very far. He failed. I wonder I anyone knew the reasons?
Others with potential.....
Fletcher-at wolves
Brown-went to Celtic, bigger club but not playing great
Whittaker-rangers, bigger club, constantly improving, could maybe cope down south
Caldwell-moved to celtic then onto Wigan, done very well for himself

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Fair enough, maybe I should have worded it better, but the point that we won these matches without Riordan is a telling stat.

I think it is an excellent point made by Magnum earlier about looking at Messi. How he has incredible talent, but he also applies that with sensible application for the good of the team. That example, to me is the difference between working for the team and running around like a headless chicken.

I'm not sure what winning any game without a certain player tells us? There's been plenty of games we have won by the odd goal, yes there have.:wink: And Riordan has scored it, what does that tell us?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
My info is he is an excellent trainer.

It is hard to look good in this Hibs side but sometimes I do wish he would do a bit more.

Regarding dropping him, it is easy to say that on here but if I was the manager I don't think I would have the bottle to do it as we know what he is capable of.

My wish is we can get better players in to help Deek rather than replace him.

:top marks That. :agree:

millarco
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Why are you bothered? Surely its better for Hibs we keep players that are good enough to play at that higher level? Why do you want rid of them?

I want players who have the ability and desire to play at the highest level, who will give everything they can to achieving as much as they can in the game. We're stuck with players who are not good enough to move on, and as such we find ourselves in the state we're in just now. It's not about wanting to get rid of our talented players, we are never going to be able to keep players of that ability for longer than a couple of seasons (think Fletcher, Murphy, Bamba, Brown etc.) because of the money and level we're operating at. I'd rather have these players for a couple of seasons and make some money off them than have the likes of Rankin, Nish and Hogg, who won't play at a higher level than us.

Do you think we have anyone at the moment who could play at a higher level?

Beefster
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM

That might be part of the point about Riordan. If Riordan had fulfilled his potential, he would be in the Premiership doing better than Fletcher IMO.

Perspective
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM

In the recent past we've had players of potential who have moved on to bigger things when we've been able to get a good fee for them. Their careers were on the way up. Riordan had to come back with his tail between his legs after being a dud at Celtic.

Is Riordan good enough to play at a higher level? What level? For what team? He has the technique but that alone won't get you very far in football now.

Who has said getting rid of Derek Riordan would solve all the problems?

So why did Yogi play him.

Yogi played him because he had nothing else. If he'd finished last season as he'd started I think he'd have got rid of him then. He'd have been in a position of strength and the supporters could hardly have grumbled. As it stood he had to keep the fans onside and getting rid of Riordan would have been counter-productive in that respect.

Honestly, Riordan's clique conveniently ignore any valid negative points about him. That's as tiresome for me as the people who dare to criticise anything he does.

The Modfather
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure what winning any game without a certain player tells us? There's been plenty of games we have won by the odd goal, yes there have.:wink: And Riordan has scored it, what does that tell us?

It proves that Riordan is the devil incarnate :devil:

I don't know exactly what it proves, but it maybe suggests, to a far lesser degree that Deeks is a bit like a Boyd type. That against most of the dross he can be a match winner, but step up a level e,g Riordan - Ibrox, Boyd - Europe, he is not as effective and possibly best used as an impact sub - if we had a squad with enough talent for that to be a possibility. If you can see where I am coming from with this point, it might be a bit easier to see where I'm coming from in that this "super sub" scenario is criminal as it's nothing to do with ability.

Sumner
09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
necessity

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I want players who have the ability and desire to play at the highest level, who will give everything they can to achieving as much as they can in the game. We're stuck with players who are not good enough to move on, and as such we find ourselves in the state we're in just now. It's not about wanting to get rid of our talented players, we are never going to be able to keep players of that ability for longer than a couple of seasons (think Fletcher, Murphy, Bamba, Brown etc.) because of the money and level we're operating at. I'd rather have these players for a couple of seasons and make some money off them than have the likes of Rankin, Nish and Hogg, who won't play at a higher level than us.

Do you think we have anyone at the moment who could play at a higher level?

I too want those types, the ones with hunger to better themselves and play in the best standard they can. What i dont want though, is Riordan hounded out of easter road, as i think he's as good as we have in terms of quality. If he does leave, i'd bet its to a better standard and team than us.

As scoopy says, i'd rather build a team with him in it, full of better players.

No i don't think anyone could/would go to a better club than us, Riordan apart.

moggie
09-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Who said were getting rid of him??? can someone put up a list of all the teams who are knocking on hibs door looking to sign him.?

millarco
09-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I too want those types, the ones with hunger to better themselves and play in the best standard they can. What i dont want though, is Riordan hounded out of easter road, as i think he's as good as we have in terms of quality. If he does leave, i'd bet its to a better standard and team than us.

As scoopy says, i'd rather build a team with him in it, full of better players.

No i don't think anyone could/would go to a better club than us, Riordan apart.

I'm not convinced that Riordan is capable of playing at a higher level. He is very one-dimensional, if the ball isn't played directly to his feet then he's a wasted jersey. He doesn't have the pace to get in behind defenders, the trickery to take players on or the strength to hold them off. He was a failure at Celtic, and I'd be surprised if he plays at a standard higher than the English Championship.

He's still undoubtedly one of our best players at the moment, but not indispensable long term when we have the chance to properly rebuild. I'd be happy enough if he signed a new contract but not fussed at all if he left, and I certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him. Whether he is adequately replaced is down to the competency of our management and scouting staff, which is another argument entirely.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm not convinced that Riordan is capable of playing at a higher level. He is very one-dimensional, if the ball isn't played directly to his feet then he's a wasted jersey. He doesn't have the pace to get in behind defenders, the trickery to take players on or the strength to hold them off. He was a failure at Celtic, and I'd be surprised if he plays at a standard higher than the English Championship.

He's still undoubtedly one of our best players at the moment, but not indispensable long term when we have the chance to properly rebuild. I'd be happy enough if he signed a new contract but not fussed at all if he left, and I certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him. Whether he is adequately replaced is down to the competency of our management and scouting staff, which is another argument entirely.

Thats fair enough, we are allowed to disagree. I do agree with the last bit. :agree:

truehibernian
09-01-2011, 04:51 PM

To be fair SH, Gordon Strachan told everyone that would listen that Derek was the best finisher at the club, yet never played him. Tony Mowbray also had run-in's woth him and there was also a very behind the scenes clash with Mark Venus if memory serves me correctly.

Managers and players are often guilty of manipulating the press or trying to appease fans through the media.

I want Derek to do really really well, preferably with Hibs, and it pains me to say it but I don't think we are getting the best of him and I think if CC wants to build a balanced, hard working and pacy team, Derek may be expendable. Doesn't mean he is not a terrific footballer and natural talent though. I think him arguing with fans and also having prolonged verbal attacks on players whilst the game is in play is also unprofessional and spreads an unhealthy tone throughout the team. I put it down to utter frustration on his part, but it shows (for me) that Hibs are not a team..........they are a selection of individuals playing for Hibs.

ancient hibee
09-01-2011, 05:01 PM
It seems that Riordan's game is full of faults and yet nobody has mentioned the excellent run he made to score a perfectly good goal-wrongly chalked off by the linesman.

He evidently doesn't train,is a poor example to the younger players and managers only play him under sufferance-anyone notice who wore the captains armband in the second half?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
It seems that Riordan's game is full of faults and yet nobody has mentioned the excellent run he made to score a perfectly good goal-wrongly chalked off by the linesman.

He evidently doesn't train,is a poor example to the younger players and managers only play him under sufferance-anyone notice who wore the captains armband in the second half?

I have not seen the incident on tv, was he onside? At the time i thought it was close, but gave the linesman the benefit of the doubt.:confused:

ancient hibee
09-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I have not seen the incident on tv, was he onside? At the time i thought it was close, but gave the linesman the benefit of the doubt.:confused:
I was almost directly in line-I'm sure the TV will show the guy in the left back position-not the centre half played him on.

moggie
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Just noticed wolves were looking at deeks yesterday.

Jimmy Belter
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Riordan's attitude is everything that is wrong at Hibernian - He may have scored a third of our goals, but would we have scored just as many without his negative and destructive influence in the squad, particularly on the young players?

yes i would agree............

Heard from a couple of hibs players that his attitude & desire during the week at
trainning is terrible & think the club would be in a better state without players like that around the place.............?

Would be intrested if the rest of the hibs squad think he is a major assett or his attitude is bring the place down ?

ancient hibee
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
yes i would agree............

Heard from a couple of hibs players that his attitude & desire during the week at
trainning is terrible & think the club would be in a better state without players like that around the place.............?

Would be intrested if the rest of the hibs squad think he is a major assett or his attitude is bring the place down ?
Ho hum.

Bad Martini
09-01-2011, 05:40 PM
So, after 5 pages of discussion, has anyone worked out precisely how much better off we could/would be WITOUT our top goal scorer and player with the highest number of assists yet then?

Just asking ken? :cool2:

I'm away to figure this one out; there's definitely merit in scoring less goals, setting up less goals for others and getting into good positions on the off chance one of yer (even less) up to the job team mates (make an attempt to) pass to you and get you in on goal. :agree:

Phil MaGlass
09-01-2011, 05:43 PM
In the recent past we've had players of potential who have moved on to bigger things when we've been able to get a good fee for them. Their careers were on the way up. Riordan had to come back with his tail between his legs after being a dud at Celtic.Is Riordan good enough to play at a higher level? What level? For what team? He has the technique but that alone won't get you very far in football now.

Who has said getting rid of Derek Riordan would solve all the problems?

Yogi played him because he had nothing else. If he'd finished last season as he'd started I think he'd have got rid of him then. He'd have been in a position of strength and the supporters could hardly have grumbled. As it stood he had to keep the fans onside and getting rid of Riordan would have been counter-productive in that respect.

Honestly, Riordan's clique conveniently ignore any valid negative points about him. That's as tiresome for me as the people who dare to criticise anything he does.

yir talkin oot yir erse if you think he was a dud, he didnae get a chance at darkheid due to a number of factors one being wether he 5hagged Strachans daughter or not, I was just as pi55ed as everybody else in the way he went to sellik then came back, but i for one am very relieved he did, where would we be without his scoring record, goals from nothing. We cant afford to let him go, but if I were him, I wouldnt hang around waitinf for the tache to splash the cash on decent players, Deeks dae the right thing by yirsel and yir family and go for the cash and *** the guys on here who slate you continually, these guys wouldnae know class if it fell on their heids.
oh aye and anyone who knows me knows Im not "Riordan's clique"
Mibbe theres too many Yogi fans on here who have an axe to grind since their beloved got the heave ho?

hibsbollah
09-01-2011, 05:43 PM

He'd be a luxury for a top quality side. For us, especially since we lost Stokes and Benji, he's an absolute necessity.

Agree with Phil above as well, if i was Derek I wouldnt want to hang about at ER. If he does put pen to paper we'll be lucky

HibbyAndy
09-01-2011, 07:33 PM
So, after 5 pages of discussion, has anyone worked out precisely how much better off we could/would be WITOUT our top goal scorer and player with the highest number of assists yet then?

Just asking ken? :cool2:

I'm away to figure this one out; there's definitely merit in scoring less goals, setting up less goals for others and getting into good positions on the off chance one of yer (even less) up to the job team mates (make an attempt to) pass to you and get you in on goal. :agree:

Mate i just dont get some folk on here, I really am staggered.

truehibernian
09-01-2011, 07:52 PM
He'd be a luxury for a top quality side. For us, especially since we lost Stokes and Benji, he's an absolute necessity.

Agree with Phil above as well, if i was Derek I wouldnt want to hang about at ER. If he does put pen to paper we'll be lucky

Getting rid of Benji, knowing that one of either Stokes or Derek was away in summer, was proof of Hughes inability to spot a technically gifted player and cut his nose off to spite his face. Keeping Stokes whose problems were clearly well known at the club, yet using the "poor attitude, poor trainer" excuse for me was classic John Hughes hypocricy. As a fan I never forgave Hughes for that. Benji would have been on my team sheet well ahead of Nish, Byrne and any other striker at the club at the time (Stokes and Derek aside)......also would have been good for Zemmama as they are best friends and that has an off the field effect.

Still they don't drink and gamble, so hey......better off without them :greengrin

nortonhibby
09-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Deek must stay bin the rest off them but Deek must stay if he goes we we are Donald Ducked

Albion Hibs
09-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Deek must stay bin the rest off them but Deek must stay if he goes we we are Donald Ducked

"Donald Ducked".....yeah I remember thinking that when I was leaving hunbrox back in november!

I dont think we would be ducked by any stretch, we would be loosing a good goal scorer but at present we are not getting the best from him playing him effectively by himself, in fact he is worse than a man down.

I think if we can get someone to play alongside him / drop him back to the left wing he will become more valuable for us.

steakbake
09-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Thank you. I sometimes speak sense.

Riordan is good, but people make out like he's some kind of genius. He's one of our best players, but having him up top means that we have to play in a certain way which is more hit and hope than anything else. Priority for this window is either someone who can play off him or a totally different type of striking option.

Captain Trips
09-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I would be far more concerned that about 15+ players are neither a luxury or a necessity.

HibeeSince85
10-01-2011, 09:33 PM
To be fair SH, Gordon Strachan told everyone that would listen that Derek was the best finisher at the club, yet never played him. Tony Mowbray also had run-in's woth him and there was also a very behind the scenes clash with Mark Venus if memory serves me correctly.

Managers and players are often guilty of manipulating the press or trying to appease fans through the media.

I want Derek to do really really well, preferably with Hibs, and it pains me to say it but I don't think we are getting the best of him and I think if CC wants to build a balanced, hard working and pacy team, Derek may be expendable. Doesn't mean he is not a terrific footballer and natural talent though. I think him arguing with fans and also having prolonged verbal attacks on players whilst the game is in play is also unprofessional and spreads an unhealthy tone throughout the team. I put it down to utter frustration on his part, but it shows (for me) that Hibs are not a team..........they are a selection of individuals playing for Hibs.

Hibs summed up in one sentence for me!

Hibs On Tour
11-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Quite apart from the mental affliction that appears to have struck some of our support whereby in a season where we're playing ***** we can somehow appear to magically be able to do without our top scorer and provider of most assists, I'll leave it to a genuine Hibs legend to summarise it.

"He'd be the only player now to get a game with us. He wouldn't be in the first team - he'd be on the bench - but he'd definitely get his game."

Source? The one, the only, Lawrie Reilly.

END-****ING-OF!

Big90inOz
12-01-2011, 03:56 AM
For me he is a necessity in a good side and a luxury in a poor side and we are worse than poor.

RMG_82
12-01-2011, 06:32 AM
100 goals in 243 games. Enough said for me.

Bad Martini
12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Quite apart from the mental affliction that appears to have struck some of our support whereby in a season where we're playing ***** we can somehow appear to magically be able to do without our top scorer and provider of most assists, I'll leave it to a genuine Hibs legend to summarise it.

"He'd be the only player now to get a game with us. He wouldn't be in the first team - he'd be on the bench - but he'd definitely get his game."

Source? The one, the only, Lawrie Reilly.

I like the cut of yer chib son.

END-****ING-OF!

ENDOF :greengrin

Bad Martini
12-01-2011, 11:22 AM

I'm still working oot the benefits of less goals and assists and as soon as I get to the answer mate, I'll be sure to post it for all to see. It's like the theory of evolution backwards. Totally stone radge :greengrin

Dinkydoo
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
To me, Deek has always really fallen into the luxury category because of his physique, lazyness and goal scoring ability - he's a great player to have on the park, if and when everyone else does their job properly.

However this season, he been an absolute neccessity - without him we'd be bottom.

and although we might still get relegated with him (even typing the words makes me cringe), we would be in a worse position than we are now without him at the club.

Elmer Fudd Gantry
12-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Who said were getting rid of him??? can someone put up a list of all the teams who are knocking on hibs door looking to sign him.?

From what i have heard if the Huns manage to sell Miller then they will be tying him up on a pre-contract and no doubt making an offer to take him during this window. Couldn't blame Deek if he did do that with the wages they can offer, wouldn't be entirely happy with it either but there's not much Petrie could do to match their wages.

H!BEE
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
necessity :flag:

:not worthDEEKO:not worth

steakbake
12-01-2011, 05:31 PM
With Duffy scoring twice today, then perhaps it's a sign that we're ready to let someone else step up to the plate. Of course, a Riordan-Duffy combo would be ideal.