PDA

View Full Version : The great Rod Petrie ... Accountable to erm? (we are in trouble as he CANNOT sack CC)

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Mr Petrie, you clearly have decent financial acumen but just like the hiring of Yogi, you appear to have hired another manager that lacks the basic management skills.

And then there is the issue of you backing the players over John Collins... I guess we will never know what may have been had he backed JC

And then there is the hire of Mixu??? puzzling to say the least

What else is there ... Oh yes .... Tony Mowbray, for sure a great hire, but who else out there thinks that a certain Mr Petrie got lucky with that one (kiss enough frogs and you will eventually get a prince springs to mind here).

And then least we forget the hire and fire of Mr Sauzee!! Surely he deserved a bit more time given the patience you have shown with managers since... no???????

Do we have to go further back than this ... Best not as there are sharp knives in the kitchen and I feel bad enough ... Hold on till I get another drink :grr:

Mr Petrie, you must be the only individual in SPORT in your position that appears to be accountable to nobody for your poor decision making in what is surely one of the most important aspects of the job!! ... hiring a management team.

It seems you have cart blanche to do what ever you want at Hibs and until this changes Hibernian Football Club will never achieve what we can with the great support and proud history this club has. Your qualities are clear, but also just as clear are your failings and if the good is weighed up against the bad then I would have you out on your arse

There are plenty other financially gifted people that could have achieved what you have at Hibernian whilst at the same time not continually making a dogs dinner of the footballing aspects of your position.

The real worry now though for us the fans is that EVEN YOU must realise that the buck now firmly stops at your plush desk and that is what worries me most..

If you sack CC then that surely must be your final act at Hibernian and most fans know that your ego is far to big to allow that to happen. This proud proud club is on its erse and the blame stops firmly with YOU!!

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Mr Petrie, you clearly have decent financial acumen but just like the hiring of Yogi, you appear to have hired another manager that lacks the basic management skills.

And then there is the issue of you backing the players over John Collins... I guess we will never know what may have been had he backed JC

What else is there ... Oh yes .... Tony Mowbray, for sure a great hire, but who else out there thinks that a certain Mr Petrie got lucky with that one (kiss enough frogs and you will eventually get a prince springs to mind here).

And then least we forget the hire and fire of Mr Sauzee!! Surely he deserved a bit more time given the patience you have shown with managers since... no???????

Do we have to go further back than this ... Best not as there are sharp knives in the kitchen and I feel bad enough ... Hold on till I get another drink :grr:

Mr Petrie, you must be the only individual in SPORT in your position that appears to be accountable to nobody for your poor decision making in what is surely one of the most important aspects of the job!! ... hiring a management team.

It seems you have cart blanche to do what ever you want at Hibs and until this changes Hibernian Football Club will never achieve what we can with the great support and proud history this club has. Your qualities are clear, but also just as clear are your failings and if the good is weighed up against the bad then I would have you out on your arse

There are plenty other financially gifted people that could have achieved what you have at Hibernian whilst at the same time not continually making a dogs dinner of the footballing aspects of your position.

The real worry now though for us the fans is that EVEN YOU must realise that the buck now firmly stops at your plush desk and that is what worries me most..

If you sack CC then that surely must be your final act at Hibernian and most fans know that your ego is far to big to allow that to happen. This proud proud club is on its erse and the blame stops firmly with YOU!!

An open letter, how Yammish. Is this a first for Hibs.net, and can we expect protests round the back of the stand and Russian hats etc.?

You seem to have put your finger on the problem, but who would you replace Petrie with and what reassurances would you seek for the future of the club?

HFC_0762
08-01-2011, 05:26 PM

If you sack CC then that surely must be your final act at Hibernian and most fans know that your ego is far to big to allow that to happen. This proud proud club is on its erse and the blame stops firmly with YOU!! mr petrie is to blame managers dont employ themselves he does stop the bull with its him and him and him its petrie , every decent / gd player we have has been sold , what do we have for it ? a team that is heading for division one , sorry we have a training centre and a fancy new stand !!!! a fancy new stand doesnt win you points INVESTING in decent players and employing good managers do !!!!

EasterRoad4Ever
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM

:top marks High time Hibs fans started to take off the rose tinted glasses with the funny tash attached. Petrie and the Club are in serious bother and I fear he has painted us all into a corner. CC appears to be a v poor appointment, and the Jan window is not the time to buy yourself out of trouble. His selection of managers has been nothing short of pathetic which has probably cost the club £M + over the years in compo and poor signings. Time to do the right thing and move over.

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 05:32 PM
An open letter, how Yammish. Is this a first for Hibs.net, and can we expect protests round the back of the stand and Russian hats etc.?

You seem to have put your finger on the problem, but who would you replace Petrie with and what reassurances would you seek for the future of the club?

First time I have been called a YAM! Oh I feel dirty I must go for a shower now.. Come on there are things to call people but that is just uncalled for.. I have feelings you know... I think.

As for the answer to your question... NO IDEA!! Perhaps you might want to redirect that question to Sir Tom

Out of a matter of interest .. what do you suggest?

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
First time I have been called a YAM! Oh I feel dirty I must go for shower now.. Come on there are things to call people but that is just uncalled for.. I have feelings you know... I think.

As for the answer to your question... NO IDEA!! Perhaps you might want to redirect that question to Sir Tom

Out of a matter of interest .. what do you suggest?

Strange question when it's you who is setting the agenda for change.

You are twisting my words, I didn't say YOU were a Yam, I said open letters are Yammish. Different things.

Why would I redirect the question to Sir Tom? I happen to think that Petrie has done well over a 10 year period, he's got it wrong with the last two bosses, but the club is in a healthy state, and is going through one of those transitions that happen when one great team is dismantled and there is no replacement.

I just worry that an army of fans, who know squat about business, and even less about football, are going to force a change without anything better to put in its place.

If change is needed I would prefer it was done by people who are able to take a longer term view of things than what has happened in the last 12 months (not getting at you there). Fan power would have brought us Brian Kennedy, it brought Mad Vlad to the PBS, and is one of the most dangerous forces in football.

I feel like I am p*ssing against Niagra at times, as I know the empty barrels will have their day, and will be nowhere to be found when things go tits up.

smurf
08-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Absolutely ridiculous reply. You should be embarrassed.

You may disagree with the OP but the Yam stuff? Uncalled for.

But typical and predictable if you dare question the role of RP on here.

DaveF
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM

1 post out 5 (or 6) and you pick that out as being an indicator of the messageboard mood?

Come on, there are plenty people on here questioning the board and RP in particular but you are letting your own opinion of this site cloud your (otherwise excellent) judgement.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Give it a rest smurf - the only thing that is predictable is nearly every post you make nowadays.

EasterRoad4Ever
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM

You are twisting my words, I didn't say YOU were a Yam, I said open letters are Yammish. Different things.

Why would I redirect the question to Sir Tom? I happen to think that Petrie has done well over a 10 year period, he's got it wrong with the last two bosses, but the club is in a healthy state, and is going through one of those transitions that happen when one great team is dismantled and there is no replacement.

I just worry that an army of fans, who know squat about business, and even less about football, are going to force a change without anything better to put in its place.

If change is needed I would prefer it was done by people who are able to take a longer term view of things than what has happened in the last 12 months (not getting at you there). Fan power would have brought us Brian Kennedy, it brought Mad Vlad to the PBS, and is one of the most dangerous forces in football.

I feel like I am p*ssing against Niagra at times, as I know the empty barrels will have their day, and will be nowhere to be found when things go tits up.

The irony is that Petrie HAS taken a long term and strategic view of the club and invested well in the infrastructure. The stadium and training facilities are fantastic. HOWEVER his leadership and strategy for the FOOTBALLING side of the club has been pathetic - well short of what is needed from a CEO. Time for Petrie to stop being a big knob and pass the reins over to someone who knows how to run the footballing side of the business - which after all is what its all about ?

Peevemor
08-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Maybe we could wait until he puts together his own team before judging him.

What happened exactly? What was said? Do you know?

Why? There are plenty folk on here saying that Mixu should have stayed longer.

So anything that goes wrong is RP's fault, but when something goes right it's down to luck?

RP voted against the sacking of Sauzée.

Load of melodramatic pish if you ask me.

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM

I said it was Yammish, because it has been a source of merriment on here that their supporters have an unrealistic opinion of their importance and are contiuously writing open letters. Apologies if people have missed the significance of an "in joke".

I know the OP has been posting on here for a long time and would never want to suggest he is a Yam. I am only comparing the hysteria that is enveloping Hibs to the madness that overtook Hearts because people who thought they knew better took it on themselves to be militant about how their club was run.

The main thrust of my post was, there is no point in saying things are not perfect at the moment unless you have an idea what will put them right.

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
The irony is that Petrie HAS taken a long term and strategic view of the club and invested well in the infrastructure. The stadium and training facilities are fantastic. HOWEVER his leadership and strategy for the FOOTBALLING side of the club has been pathetic - well short of what is needed from a CEO. Time for Petrie to stop being a big knob and pass the reins over to someone who knows how to run the footballing side of the business - which after all is what its all about ?

1) What targets should we have for the footballing side?
2) Who can deliver them?
3) On the whole we are no worse off than the rest of the SPL in terms of performance over 10 years, and better than the majority of them.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Seriously, is there really any need for that? :bitchy:

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 06:01 PM

No worries Filled Rolls.. I was only messing as well with the yams thing.

I have never been anti Petrie/Farmer and that has not changed. I just feel he should be as accountable for his decisons as the managers that have come and gone before him... and there are lots of them...

smurf
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Give it a rest smurf - the only thing that is predictable is nearly every post you make nowadays.

Almost as predictable that you will reply to each and everyone I post.

So talking of giving it a rest.... ;-)

You and a few others are deliberately attempting in a very New Labour way to bully the dissenters to shut up and go away quietly...

Not going to work. Though as an admin you could just ban me.... that's the real Stalinesque tactic...

It's just utterly Bizzare that you want no debate whatsoever on the role and responsibility of the top tier of Hibernian on why we find ourselves in the shambles we are today.

We debate the merits of players.

We debate the merits of managers.

But the boardroom?

A no go area.

And I don't just post on Rod Petrie. As you have so much time on your hands replying to my every post you might have time to do a search on my previous posts where you will see this confirmed.

My questioning of the board obviously does your head in similarly as your defence of them does mine.

We are both Hibbys. Let's just respect difference.

It's good and healthy.

PaulSmith
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Seriously, is there really any need for that? :bitchy:

None and it only lessens the arguments for change at the top of the club that we all (well most of us on here bar the obvious fools who get their kicks out of posting as Hibs fans) want to see get out of this mess.

I'm the record as saying that Rod Petrie's tenure at the club will be looked on, and should be looked on, as a success but I'm also now firmly in the camp that its time to either change the policies at Easter Road or more appropriately either give Lindsey a free hand at the club or remove them both and advertise for a CEO that can bring a freshness to the club.

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
No worries Filled Rolls.. I was only messing as well with the yams thing.

I have never been anti Petrie/Farmer and that has not changed. I just feel he should be as accountable for his decisons as the managers that have come and gone before him... and there are lots of them...

I think the club has to set real targets for the next five years. I think Rod should be accountable, but over the period he has been charge I think we'd be churlish not to give him some credit and the chance to go on. Any other club would snap the man up if we emptied him.

DaveF
08-01-2011, 06:09 PM

You and a few others are deliberately attempting in a very New Labour way to bully the dissenters to shut up and go away quietly...

Not going to work. Though as an admin you could just ban me.... that's the real Stalinesque tactic...

It's just utterly Bizzare that you want no debate whatsoever on the role and responsibility of the top tier of Hibernian on why we find ourselves in the shambles we are today.

But the boardroom?

A no go area.

And I don't just post on Rod Petrie. As you have so much time on your hands replying to my every post you might have time to do a search on my previous posts where you will see this confirmed.

My questioning of the board obviously does your head in similarly as your defence of them does mine.

It's good and healthy.

Is that really the case? Genuine question, but can you (or the Admins) find any threads that have been closed because it contains a debate about the board?

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple of lengthy threads on that subject in the PM in recent months?

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Maybe we could wait until he puts together his own team before judging him.

What happened exactly? What was said? Do you know?

Why? There are plenty folk on here saying that Mixu should have stayed longer.

So anything that goes wrong is RP's fault, but when something goes right it's down to luck?

RP voted against the sacking of Sauzée.

This is one of the very few threads or posts for that matter that I have posted for sometime on Hibs.Net.

My thread I thought was open and allows for others to give there view. Your response is in my opinion like many others that unfortunately appear to be the norm now, which is, looking for an arguement .. Not with me though mate:na na:

And for what its worth... YES I do know what happened with the Players meeting Rod Petrie and regardless of what did or did not happen, Mr Petrie should never have attended the meeting nor allow it to happen.

I agree Mixu should have been given more time ... But I also think he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Any bad management hire is Rod's fault ...bloody sure it is!!

Any good hire is lucky?? Well, if you line up the bad hires against the good one's it looks like the Mowbray hire was nothing more than luck to me.

And as for Petrie voting to keep Sauzee ... I would say that is at the very least miss leading and at best total nonsense

matty_f
08-01-2011, 06:12 PM

But the boardroom?

A no go area.

It's good and healthy.

Actually, you're criticising others for exactly what you're doing here. Defend the board and it's Stalin-esque.

If you want to debate something, then be prepared for an opposing point of view, dinnae get all precious about it when people disagree with your point of view.

And you'll find that as far as bullying dissenters, the majority of threads that are ending up as Petrie-debates are doing so because of a few people continually hijacking the threads with criticism of the board. I'd love it if you could point to a thread where the Petrie debate has been driven by a defence of the club's position.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 06:12 PM

But the boardroom?

A no go area.

It's good and healthy.

First of all Smurf I don't reply to everything you post - quite easy for you to check that one.

Next - would you like to retract the accusation of bullying - I'm pretty sure the rest of the admin team would have a problem with that one - I'm not bullying anyone.

As for the rest of it......

Its utterly pathetic to say we want no debate on the merits of the board on here - look around you - the board is alive with it tonight.

What I personally cant stand is this "don't blame our untouchable board" pish you and a few others come out with.

I've asked you on various threads to post your solutions as you seem to think its so easy to run the club - as yet I've not seen one (apologies if I've missed it)

I respect your opinions smurf - lets see some instead of taking cheap shots at RP & the board.

Ray_
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM

.The main thrust of my post was, there is no point in saying things are not perfect at the moment unless you have an idea what will put them right.[/QUOTE]

Where on earth do you get the idea that you have to have great business acumen, to realise that if you chase the customers away, it isn't a good thing for that business, even if it is a football club?

With regard to the second point, I've read many many posts with suggestions, but what difference does it make if you make a post on here stating your displeasure without providing a solution, it's a fans forum & not the Hibs boardroom?

ScottB
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Ok seriously, our issues are not as black and white as 'Petrie is crap, all managers are crap.'

Collins, on paper, was a similar bet to Mowbray, he had all the coaching badges, an affinity with the club and he sure talked a good game. Certainly on here I can't recall anyone complaining loudly about his appointment.

His leaving was a low point, but the rot had already set in, since then we've had problems, notably fitness. Whatever went on in the background at this stage is what to moan about for me.

Anyway, next up, Mixu. No question he wanted the job, again an affinity for the club, had been successful in the lower leagues here (that being a perfectly good starting point for other managers, such as Craig Levein) and success in the Finish topflight, didn't he get Turpu into or actually manage them in Europe? In any case, it wasn't his first dance at the ball.

Then Hughes. The suggestion he was inexperienced is a nonsense. 5 years or so at Falkirk? Or does that not count all of a sudden? Things started well and then collapsed to the situation we are now still in.

Collins won a Cup, Mixu never finished outside the top 6 and never lost a match to Hearts, Hughes qualified for Europe. What exactly are our expectations? Sure, we all remember the Mowbray days with a smile, and while the games were great to watch, was his results any better at the end of the day? In terms of league position and things won anyway.

I think in Collins, Mixu and Hughes, we (the fans) pretty much got what we wanted in each case, a lot of us clamored for them to get their jobs, then demanded they be sacked in the case of Mixu and Hughes. Maybe the Board are guilty of taking too much notice of our opinions, something I think that was largely ignored when appointing CC.

Personally, I think we need to look at the behind the scenes structure at the club. Our players are always unfit and lacking in the basics, so what exactly are our coaches doing at East Mains? We seem to sign players who don't make the grade, or miss out on quality, cheap players that our rivals find, what are our Scouts doing?

Around here people seem to over react and demand somebody in charges head, it happened to Mixu, then Hughes, and know that it is still too early to go for CC (though more than a few have started) it has moved on to Petrie. So fine, lets force Petrie out, then what? I would like to see a root and branch review of EVERY member of staff at the club, find out who is doing what and what needs to improve, binning Petrie (god knows how that can be achieved anyway) is no more a guarantee of change than replacing Hughes with CC has been.

Dr Jimmy
08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I think there are direct comparisons between Petrie and Fred Goodwin. They have both build great infrastructure (gogar & ER/EM), but both took their eye off the core business, results went thru the floor and they have no idea how to fix it.:............cue Filled Rolls....!

Ray_
08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Ok seriously, our issues are not as black and white as 'Petrie is crap, all managers are crap.'

Collins, on paper, was a similar bet to Mowbray, he had all the coaching badges, an affinity with the club and he sure talked a good game. Certainly on here I can't recall anyone complaining loudly about his appointment.

His leaving was a low point, but the rot had already set in, since then we've had problems, notably fitness. Whatever went on in the background at this stage is what to moan about for me.

Anyway, next up, Mixu. No question he wanted the job, again an affinity for the club, had been successful in the lower leagues here (that being a perfectly good starting point for other managers, such as Craig Levein) and success in the Finish topflight, didn't he get Turpu into or actually manage them in Europe? In any case, it wasn't his first dance at the ball.

Then Hughes. The suggestion he was inexperienced is a nonsense. 5 years or so at Falkirk? Or does that not count all of a sudden? Things started well and then collapsed to the situation we are now still in.

Collins won a Cup, Mixu never finished outside the top 6 and never lost a match to Hearts, Hughes qualified for Europe. What exactly are our expectations? Sure, we all remember the Mowbray days with a smile, and while the games were great to watch, was his results any better at the end of the day? In terms of league position and things won anyway.

I think in Collins, Mixu and Hughes, we (the fans) pretty much got what we wanted in each case, a lot of us clamored for them to get their jobs, then demanded they be sacked in the case of Mixu and Hughes. Maybe the Board are guilty of taking too much notice of our opinions, something I think that was largely ignored when appointing CC.

Personally, I think we need to look at the behind the scenes structure at the club. Our players are always unfit and lacking in the basics, so what exactly are our coaches doing at East Mains? We seem to sign players who don't make the grade, or miss out on quality, cheap players that our rivals find, what are our Scouts doing?

Around here people seem to over react and demand somebody in charges head, it happened to Mixu, then Hughes, and know that it is still too early to go for CC (though more than a few have started) it has moved on to Petrie. So fine, lets force Petrie out, then what? I would like to see a root and branch review of EVERY member of staff at the club, find out who is doing what and what needs to improve, binning Petrie (god knows how that can be achieved anyway) is no more a guarantee of change than replacing Hughes with CC has been.

Personally I think we have been playing crap football for the last three years, the fans have been drifting [driven] away from the club during that time & there seems no hope of the situation abating.

Apart from that, all is rosy, the club is run well & everybody’s got the hump because there is nothing better to do.

Peevemor
08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
This is one of the very few threads or posts for that matter that I have posted for sometime on Hibs.Net.

My thread I thought was open and allows for others to give there view. Your response is in my opinion like many others that unfortunately appear to be the norm now, which is, looking for an arguement .. Not with me though mate:na na:

So you posted purely as an opening for others to give their opinion, but when I give mine I'm just looking for an argument? Fine. :confused:

And for what its worth... YES I do know what happened with the Players meeting Rod Petrie and regardless of what did or did not happen, Mr Petrie should never have attended the meeting nor allow it to happen.

Almost the entire 1st team squad wanted to see their big boss regarding issues with their immediate boss. I'd say RP was obliged to hear them out.

I agree Mixu should have been given more time ... But I also think he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Any bad management hire is Rod's fault ...bloody sure it is!!

Any good hire is lucky?? Well, if you line up the bad hires against the good one's it looks like the Mowbray hire was nothing more than luck to me.

And as for Petrie voting to keep Sauzee ... I would say that is at the very least miss leading and at best total nonsense

RP was the only member of the board to vote against sacking Sauzée. This is a fact and is therefore neither misleading nor total nonsense.

SkintHibby
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Can't believe people here are having a go at Colin Calderwood.

FFS, get a grip!!!

The players he is working with are UTTER RUBBISH and I believe it would be impossible to coach that bunch into anything even remotely resembling a football team.

Until he brings in his own players - you CAN'T judge him.

Mikey
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM

But the boardroom?

A no go area.

It's good and healthy.

Kenny, you're not turning this into an anti hibs.net admin thing. Plenty of people disagree with your view, not just people in the admin team. You know fine well that everything you have posted has been left intact. There are numerous threads on here tonight criticising the Hibs board and they will remain.

Despite the horrific run the club is on you're still in the minority. You'll just have to deal with that.

7Hero
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM

the irony is hearts may be complaining but on the park they are doing what matters, which to me is all that matters...

DaveF
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
This is one of the things I struggle with.I don't know you and I don't know Smurf(as far as I know)..But as an outsider your effectively telling this person what they should do or say .. Is that your remit?

Don't struggle - It's pretty simple if you read the post properly.

BroxburnHibee is saying he 'personally' (IE, his opinion as a poster - he is allowed one isn't he?) can't stand some of smurf's arguments and ask's him for a more thorough debate \ solution.

Easy peasy eh?

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 06:38 PM
So you posted purely as an opening for others to give their opinion, but when I give mine I'm just looking for an argument? Fine. :confused:

This was your response to my post Peevemor:

Peevemor, when someone responds like this I think it fair to say they are looking for an arguement rather than putting across a balanced debate/difference of opinion.

As I have mentioned before I am not anti Petrie/Farmer I just think people should be accountable for their actions and at this minute it appears that Mr Petrie is untouchable.

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 06:39 PM
the irony is hearts may be complaining but on the park they are doing what matters, which to me is all that matters...

This season, look at it over 10 years and there's little between us and them. Except for an infrastructure and sound balance sheet.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
This is one of the things I struggle with.I don't know you and I don't know Smurf(as far as I know)..But as an outsider your effectively telling this person what they should do or say .. Is that your remit?

Absolute pish - go and show me where I've said that.

I've asked someone to give us something better than "its the boards fault".

hiberactive
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Please step down now,you have created a middle of the road club going nowhere.You think you are Mr Hibs but you are only interested in balancing the books.You don't care about the fans,the team,the management as long as you are picking up a nice fat wage packet every month.Tell us Mr Petrie,what successful football team is debt free,certainly not Man U,Chelsea,Arsenal,Man City,Barcelona,Bayern Munich,Real Madrid,Celtic,Rangers,the list is endless.We all bang on about being run properly but really where has it got us.We need football people running the club not accountants,people who want success.Petrie must go.

down the slope
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Absolute pish - go and show me where I've said that.

I've asked someone to give us something better than "its the boards fault".

Ok , who's fault is it ?, as there is something not right.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok , who's fault is it ?, as there is something not right.

This is what gets my goat about the main board- and its not a pop at you.........

The constant need to pin the blame on someone.

Personally I think we are seeing the rewards of 3 manager pish signings.

Now its our board who put these managers in place - so they could be questioned about that.
They gave the managers a budget to adhere to - you could question them about that.
They didn't interfere AFAIK (a la Romanov) when the managers signed players - would we want that?

They did however oversee...........

JC winning us a trophy
Mixu getting consecutive top six finishes
Yogi getting us 4th place and into Europe
A substantial reduction in debt whilst giving us a stadium to be proud of.

Should we blame them for that?

I'm not claiming they are doing everything perfectly (far from it).

I would just like to see a wee bit of perspective on this nuthouse tonight.

reservoir hibee
08-01-2011, 08:04 PM
, as I know the empty barrels will have their day, .

really???

you think sir tom would allow that?

IberianHibernian
08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
2 things : 1. Does RP not have a 10% share in Hibernian as well as place on board so talk of removal is unrealistic ? 2. Is a lot of anti RP sentiment here not partly because of all the " hail tache " nonsense too ? I`ve been supporting Hibs for 44 years and I`ve no idea of accountants club has appointed in that time or if they`ve done a good job or not and I don`t really care ( not sure if it`s a good idea for financial employee to own significant share of club but I know there are a lot of people here who work in financial sector who will know if that is normal or advisable in business ) .

reservoir hibee
08-01-2011, 08:54 PM

completely agree with all your points and thankfully someone is looking at things in terms of the big picture!!

tony mowbray for me had a great squad at his disposal and really gaev the whole club a massive boost in terms of feel good factor!! john collins in my opinion WAS the right man to carry that up ward spiral on...by doing exactly what he was trying to do (from what i was led to believe) which was improve our club in terms of proffesionalism!! i dont know what went on in any great detail but it seemed as though he was trying to get across a "big club" attitude treating the players toughly instead of the more gentle approach that mogga apparently did.....it was kinda like paul le guen in my opinion the players did not like his methods but if you look at the playing careers of both collins and le guen they quite simply know what it takes as a player...maybe just lacking the know how to get it across to the players...if collins had have started in the lower leagues i reckon we would haev got a better manager who knows??

but anyways i digress THIS period was the start of the downturn on the pitch!! and although the infrastructure has seemingly continually improved we NOW need the product on the pitch to do the same

anybody got a magic wand????

give it to colin calderwood

reservoir hibee
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I think there are direct comparisons between Petrie and Fred Goodwin. They have both build great infrastructure (gogar & ER/EM), but both took their eye off the core business, results went thru the floor and they have no idea how to fix it.:............cue Filled Rolls....!

good comparison in my opinion

7Hero
08-01-2011, 08:56 PM
This season, look at it over 10 years and there's little between us and them. Except for an infrastructure and sound balance sheet.

only a scottish cup and derby wins, happy for you to prove me wrong on the derby wins though..

matty_f
08-01-2011, 10:03 PM
only a scottish cup and derby wins, happy for you to prove me wrong on the derby wins though..

Don't think the derbies have been as one sided, and we can match their Scottish Cup with a League Cup win.

smurf
09-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Kenny, you're not turning this into an anti hibs.net admin thing. Plenty of people disagree with your view, not just people in the admin team. You know fine well that everything you have posted has been left intact. There are numerous threads on here tonight criticising the Hibs board and they will remain.

Despite the horrific run the club is on you're still in the minority. You'll just have to deal with that.

I have respect for this site. I enjoy visiting it and read ALL opinions. Whether I agree or not.

I respect the job that Admins do. It cannae be easy especially in grim times like these....

So I'm disappointed that you are of the opinion that I've attempted to turn things into "An anti Hibs.net admin thing".

I don't think there's any basis or foundation to that opinion. I am being totally honest in saying that its not the case and not my intention or objective.

What surprises me though most is your opinion that I'm in the minority with regards to our board of directors.

NOT what I'm hearing.

smurf
09-01-2011, 05:01 AM
First of all Smurf I don't reply to everything you post - quite easy for you to check that one.

Next - would you like to retract the accusation of bullying - I'm pretty sure the rest of the admin team would have a problem with that one - I'm not bullying anyone.

As for the rest of it......

Its utterly pathetic to say we want no debate on the merits of the board on here - look around you - the board is alive with it tonight.

What I personally cant stand is this "don't blame our untouchable board" pish you and a few others come out with.

I've asked you on various threads to post your solutions as you seem to think its so easy to run the club - as yet I've not seen one (apologies if I've missed it)

I respect your opinions smurf - lets see some instead of taking cheap shots at RP & the board.

Happy to retract the 'bullying'. I don't feel bullied by you. I DO though feel that at times that folk honestly expressing their opinions on such a matter as say Rod Petrie can be subjected IMHO to responses that are clear attempts to strongly mute that poster...

I appreciate and respect your opinions. I happen to agree with some!

I certainly don't think running out club is easy. There are no magic easy solutions. I know that.

However, ultimately the buck IMO surely must stop at the top?

Anyway, time for sleep and I intend to later today post a more productive and constructive anti board post.

andyf5
09-01-2011, 07:31 AM
What surprises me though most is your opinion that I'm in the minority with regards to our board of directors.

NOT what I'm hearing.

I don't normally post - so you don't hear me - but I'm happy with the board. In my opinion the board are doing the right thing , their appointments make sense to me, they have taken this club forward over the last 10 years, they have put in place all the right elements to attract quality to the club ( training centre , completed stadium), they have backed every manager allowing them to make signings.

The players are the problem just now and their contracts are running out so Colin will be allowed to build his own team. With Derek Adams at his side things should be better next season. I am desperately unhappy at performances on the pitch but the manager can only work with what he's got.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Please step down now,you have created a middle of the road club going nowhere.You think you are Mr Hibs but you are only interested in balancing the books.You don't care about the fans,the team,the management as long as you are picking up a nice fat wage packet every month.Tell us Mr Petrie,what successful football team is debt free,certainly not Man U,Chelsea,Arsenal,Man City,Barcelona,Bayern Munich,Real Madrid,Celtic,Rangers,the list is endless.We all bang on about being run properly but really where has it got us.We need football people running the club not accountants,people who want success.Petrie must go.

What do you base this on, do you have examples of successful clubs that are run by football people?

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 07:39 AM
What do you base this on, do you have examples of successful clubs that are run by football people?

Do you have examples of successful clubs (results on the park) that are run by accountants?

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Agree with most of this ScottB. The ONLY area that the boards competence is being questioned appears to be the appointment of managers but surely they can only give the job to those that apply? We cant afford to employ the "finished article" either as players or managers so its always a bit of a gamble but even if you can it's still no guarantee (Hodgson, Benitez, Houllier?) the they will be successful.

While there are things that can be changed (players, managers, even board members) the ownership of the club is cast in stone and that is Petrie and Farmer and unless there is someone out there with some serious money that is not going to change. We, the fans, are perhaps the "emotional" heart and soul of the club but, as paying customers, we can choose whether to go or not.
As a long time lurker it appears there are those that would risk the very existence (again) off our club for a short term gain and I would question the logic of that.

The issue of the "rebellion" under JC is often brought up and Petrie gets slated for even speaking to, what was, almost the entire first team squad. As am employer what else could he do under the law. I also seem to remember the outcome was a public apology so I dont get that one.

Sauzee's sacking, as pointed out, was opposed by RP but perhaps if Franck had spent less time fishing and more with the first team squad he would have been given more time, the very thing that Calderwood needs. We dont know for sure whats happening but should he wait to get the players he wants or just sign someone who's available? I am pretty sure he knows, certainly more than me, about what he's doing.

And finally before returning to lurk mode it is often alluded to that RP actually not only identifies the targets but actually makes the signing with little, if any in some cases apparently, input from the incumbent manager,. What sort of lily livered wimps do you think we employ. No man worth his salt, let alone someone who has been a competitive and successful sportsman, would accept such interference. Utter nonsense.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Do you have examples of successful clubs (results on the park) that are run by accountants?

Probably most of the ones that were quote as successful in the previous post. Let's be clear though, it's not me that is wanting change, all I am asking that those who want to try another approach back up their suggestions with evidence that it works.

It's easy to knock things down, it's building a replacement that's hard.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Agree with most of this ScottB. The ONLY area that the boards competence is being questioned appears to be the appointment of managers but surely they can only give the job to those that apply? We cant afford to employ the "finished article" either as players or managers so its always a bit of a gamble but even if you can it's still no guarantee (Hodgson, Benitez, Houllier?) the they will be successful.

While there are things that can be changed (players, managers, even board members) the ownership of the club is cast in stone and that is Petrie and Farmer and unless there is someone out there with some serious money that is not going to change. We, the fans, are perhaps the "emotional" heart and soul of the club but, as paying customers, we can choose whether to go or not.
As a long time lurker it appears there are those that would risk the very existence (again) off our club for a short term gain and I would question the logic of that.

The issue of the "rebellion" under JC is often brought up and Petrie gets slated for even speaking to, what was, almost the entire first team squad. As am employer what else could he do under the law. I also seem to remember the outcome was a public apology so I dont get that one.

Sauzee's sacking, as pointed out, was opposed by RP but perhaps if Franck had spent less time fishing and more with the first team squad he would have been given more time, the very thing that Calderwood needs. We dont know for sure whats happening but should he wait to get the players he wants or just sign someone who's available? I am pretty sure he knows, certainly more than me, about what he's doing.

And finally before returning to lurk mode it is often alluded to that RP actually not only identifies the targets but actually makes the signing with little, if any in some cases apparently, input from the incumbent manager,. What sort of lily livered wimps do you think we employ. No man worth his salt, let alone someone who has been a competitive and successful sportsman, would accept such interference. Utter nonsense.

Great post, welcome to Hibs.net. :top marks

Springbank
09-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Can't believe people here are having a go at Colin Calderwood.

FFS, get a grip!!!

The players he is working with are UTTER RUBBISH and I believe it would be impossible to coach that bunch into anything even remotely resembling a football team.

Until he brings in his own players - you CAN'T judge him.

This is getting to the nub of it.

Ok, so he can't be judged til he brings in his own players.
We knew they were not good enough when he took over (October?)

2 months to effectively tee-up the right signings, hungry players who want to succeed as serious sportsmen.

Yet here we are in WEEK 2 of the window, derby (lost) cup game (shan crowd, no motivation, could have been emptied from the cup)

What is CC doing about this???

I am unimpressed with his performance (and the board's) in this respect, this year.

CC wants to look at the career trajectory of the last yesman to see us relegated. Whatever happened to Duff Jimmy???

One look at that would get me banging on the boardroom door to release funds for a couple of people who have character, this window.

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Why do we have to provide evidence that another approach will work? The bottom line is the current approach is not working.
If we ever do get change I will thank the board for EM & ER, but I don't think it was as difficult as some people think. The real plaudits would have gone to a board that could have balanced the build with a decent team, especially as we had many many millions to achieve both.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Why do we have to provide evidence that another approach will work? The bottom line is the current approach is not working.
If we ever do get change I will thank the board for EM & ER, but I don't think it was as difficult as some people think. The real plaudits would have gone to a board that could have balanced the build with a decent team, especially as we had many many millions to achieve both.

If you have to ask that question you wouldn't understand the answer. :greengrin

Seriously, you are suggesting that we just go for a pig in a poke as an alternative to an approach that has seen the club run sensibly and with a degree of success that most clubs in Scotland would be happy with?

You're right though, let's empty them, because anyone could do better.

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Try highlighting both sentences in the paragraph, but nice try.
Pig in a poke?.....Why is it always boom or bust with you in order to keep the status quo?

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Try highlighting both sentences in the paragraph, but nice try.
Pig in a poke?.....Why is it always boom or bust with you in order to keep the status quo?

I'm not against change, I'd just like to know what it would be. I think we could end up with better, but we could easily end up with worse.

Jack
09-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Over the last few years the managers that Hibs have brought in have IIRC had the backing of the majority of the fans. Likewise when the time to go has come there hasn't been too many dissenting voices.
What I'm saying is that the collective support would have made the same choices as the Board.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think too many of us are using current problems to justify long held views on the Board.
We are also often told that the footballing side of the business is left solely to the manager. Over the past few years we've seen in the accounts that the money available to our managers has increased year on year.
So we, as a support, would have employed the same folk and the Board have provided more and more money. Its not working just now - ***** happens.
None of us, more likely the Board too, are happy where we find ourselves now and I'm sure the Board are as desperate as us for things to turn around.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Over the last few years the managers that Hibs have brought in have IIRC had the backing of the majority of the fans. Likewise when the time to go has come there hasn't been too many dissenting voices.
What I'm saying is that the collective support would have made the same choices as the Board.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think too many of us are using current problems to justify long held views on the Board.
We are also often told that the footballing side of the business is left solely to the manager. Over the past few years we've seen in the accounts that the money available to our managers has increased year on year.
So we, as a support, would have employed the same folk and the Board have provided more and more money. Its not working just now - ***** happens.
None of us, more likely the Board too, are happy where we find ourselves now and I'm sure the Board are as desperate as us for things to turn around.

:top marks Far too many people are taking a short term view.

Ray_
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
What I'm saying is that the collective support would have made the same choices as the Board..

The fans don't get to see who has applied for the said job, they are not involved with setting the criteria or the interview process, so I have no idea how those comments are credible.

With regard to the choices themselves, I didn't see that many clamouring on getting the current manager, John Hughes support was far from overwhelming, especially when they saw a majority of Falkirk fans wanted him out, many fans were concerned about Mixu's lack of experience, the same could be said about John Collins, TM, while successful, was out-of-the-blue & I don't think anybody wanted Bobby Williamson.

Ray_
09-01-2011, 10:41 AM
:top marks Far too many people are taking a short term view.

Our performances over the last three years have been driving fans away, in the context of 109 years since a Scottish Cup win, I'd agree it was short-term, but in terms of a business losing revenue, its far too long.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
The fans don't get to see who has applied for the said job, they are not involved with setting the criteria or the interview process, so I have no idea how those comments are credible.

With regard to the choices themselves, I didn't see that many clamouring on getting the current manager, John Hughes support was far from overwhelming, especially when they saw a majority of Falkirk fans wanted him out, many fans were concerned about Mixu's lack of experience, the same could be said about John Collins, TM, while successful, was out-of-the-blue & I don't think anybody wanted Bobby Williamson.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree:

new malkyhib
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM

What do you base that comment on? Is this the Admins' position, or it is just your own personal opinion? What "minority" is the guy in precisely?

As far as I can see if this Board is anyway representative of fans' opinion, then Petrie's time is up and we need change. He also thinks our CEO appears to be beyond criticism... Why pull the guy up short for saying that?

Sioux
09-01-2011, 11:01 AM

So what's your answer then? Publicise the candidates and ask the fans to decide?

JCHibby
09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
You caused this freackin mess when you let the players in to discuss Collins behind his back. You should have slammed the door in there face and told them to do one!!

Guarantee the team would not have been as unfit that's for sure.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Petrie had to take on the players concerns.

He went about that the wrong way, he should have arranged workplace meetings and had EVERYTHING in the open and Dealt with the problem you CANNOT ignore problems he just handled that very badly.

JCHibby
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM

He went about that the wrong way, he should have arranged workplace meetings and had EVERYTHING in the open and Dealt with the problem you CANNOT ignore problems he just handled that very badly.

Or tell the players your employed to do a job so get ****in on with it! To much player power these days

vla_di_vla
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
You caused this freackin mess when you let the players in to discuss Collins behind his back. You should have slammed the door in there face and told them to do one!!

The problem is that wasn't his last involvement in team affairs.

Goal, Archibald
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
We will see this window how much faith the board have in CC. Which is a really poor thing for me to say as he is just in the job. That could be the reality though.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Or tell the players your employed to do a job so get ****in on with it! To much player power these days

I don't think that's been working though, Yogi was big on "shape up or ship out" statements.

JCHibby
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
The problem is that wasn't his last involvement in team affairs.

What other involvement??

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I dont get to see who has applied for the jobs anywhere else I am a customer either.

justlikebrazil
09-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Maybe chants of PETRIE MUST GO rather than the usual manager must go, then the penny may drop!!! Mind you petrie dropping a penny mmm!!! :wink:

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Do you have grievance procedure at your employment? What an absolutely stupid and ridiculous statement to make.

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 11:51 AM

How did he? Was there not an apology from the club captain on behalf of the squad?

Lets not let the facts (or employment law) get in the way.

vla_di_vla
09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
What other involvement??

the players still go to him if they are upset with anything. He should have nothing to do with things like player fines imposed by the manager and if he does will undermine him every time. Could be the real reason we can't get anyone to motivate these balloons. I hope CC has the spine to stand up to him

CropleyWasGod
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
the players still go to him if they are upset with anything. He should have nothing to do with things like player fines imposed by the manager and if he does will undermine him every time. Could be the real reason we can't get anyone to motivate these balloons. I hope CC has the spine to stand up to him

If that's the established workplace grievance procedures, then they are entitled to do so. I would have thought that the Chief Exec, rather than the Chair, would be the better line to take, but... if them's the rules, them's the rules.

JCHibby
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Do you have grievance procedure at your employment? What an absolutely stupid and ridiculous statement to make.

Yes I do thanks, do I agree with every decision, no. Do I then run to the boss of the boss like a childish fud, no! So once again just get on with what your paid for. End off!

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Are you not entitled to go over your line managers head if your unhappy?

And its Scott Lindsay they go to now. Not Rod Petrie.

vla_di_vla
09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
If that's the established workplace grievance procedures, then they are entitled to do so. I would have thought that the Chief Exec, rather than the Chair, would be the better line to take, but... if them's the rules, them's the rules.

Yeah fair enough but what does that do for the managers' credibility if he gets overuled? Petrie knows less than i do about being a manager of a football team(sunday football pub team) so should stick to what he does best and stay away from the players

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 12:10 PM

How do you know they go to him?

mcfly
09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
we can all argue/debate for as long as we like.

bottom line is how much will relegation cost hibs?? my guess is it will be a lot more than the cost of 2-3 players who will transform our season. in addition we have 16 players leaving so those players dont care - their performances show that.

if the board dont sanction more transfer funds then we will finish bottom - there is no doubt about that, this team of losers have given up.

the fans have shown the board enough respect in my view - now is the time for action - are the supporters clubs having meetings with the board to let them know our concerns?

Also why are hibs voting for a 10 team SPL when we wont be in it??

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Never mind as we are ****, Rod will get money from a SC semi being played at ER. Maybe that is part of the plan, we go out but get revenue from the other teams.

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes I do thanks, do I agree with every decision, no. Do I then run to the boss of the boss like a childish fud, no! So once again just get on with what your paid for. End off!

But then I dont know what you expect Petrie to do? Other than what he did do which was get the club captain to apologise publicly to the manager. Is that undermining the manager?

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
we can all argue/debate for as long as we like.

bottom line is how much will relegation cost hibs?? my guess is it will be a lot more than the cost of 2-3 players who will transform our season. in addition we have 16 players leaving so those players dont care - their performances show that.

if the board dont sanction more transfer funds then we will finish bottom - there is no doubt about that, this team of losers have given up.

the fans have shown the board enough respect in my view - now is the time for action - are the supporters clubs having meetings with the board to let them know our concerns?

Also why are hibs voting for a 10 team SPL when we wont be in it??

Perhaps you have experience of supporters boycotts, open letters and protest groups already. How do you think these meetings will go?

I can just see it now.....

BARRACK ROOM LAWYER: Mr Petrie, we are most respectfully and humbly pointing out that your days are numbered unless we turn things round. (Thanks for the tea and ginger nuts by the way, it's nothing personal.)

RP: ***** off:

BRL: OK then.

(continues for 4 more chairmen)

CropleyWasGod
09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah fair enough but what does that do for the managers' credibility if he gets overuled? Petrie knows less than i do about being a manager of a football team(sunday football pub team) so should stick to what he does best and stay away from the players

Three points:-

1. do we know that the manager gets overruled?

2. if the manager is being overruled constantly then does that not say more about his man-management skills?

3. if it's part of the Chief Exec's job (or Petrie's) to deal with it, he has to. I suspect that, if the grievances are football-related, he will refer them back to the team manager.

RIP
09-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Petrie is our Football Director - Scott Lindsay said so on the official site

I think that's where the problem lies tbh

ScottB
09-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Let me ask this question then, as it seems to be coming up over and over.

What clubs are actually run by 'football men' then? I think you'll find the Board's of most clubs, if not all, are staffed with and led by accountants and business men.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Are you not entitled to go over your line managers head if your unhappy?

And its Scott Lindsay they go to now. Not Rod Petrie.

No. It. Is. Not.

If you have a problem at work, do you - and all the rest of your workmates, turn up, en masse at your second line manager's house?

No. Didn't think so.

Whatever the players thought of JC, they knew they could undermine him by going to Rod. Furthermore all JC asked was for the players to work hard and be more professional.

If there was any sort of grievance it should have been dealt with by Jones, at work. Not at home with them all there.

CropleyWasGod
09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
No. It. Is. Not.

If you have a problem at work, do you - and all the rest of your workmates, turn up, en masse at your second line manager's house?

No. Didn't think so.

Whatever the players thought of JC, they knew they could undermine him by going to Rod. Furthermore all JC asked was for the players to work hard and be more professional.

If there was any sort of grievance it should have been dealt with by Jones, at work. Not at home with them all there.

As has been said..... it ended with the players, through RJ, apologising. They were deemed to be in the wrong.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:07 PM

How do you know they don't?

Answer: You don't?

Rod is at East Mains - the TRAINING CENTRE - every day. Not at Easter Road, where the business is, but he's a large presence at the players place of work.

And he has over-ruled club fines under Yogi (source one of our senior players).

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:08 PM
As has been said..... it ended with the players, through RJ, apologising. They were deemed to be in the wrong.

IMO it fundamentally weakened Collins. RJ said too little, too late.

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Probably at his house was an error but there was a reason it was there. And Jones was part of the initial delegation.

But there was a public apology from Jones so I dont see how that undermined the manager?

Or. Does. That. Not. Fit. ?.

No. It. Is. Not.

No. Didn't think so.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Petrie is our Football Director - Scott Lindsay said so on the official site

I think that's where the problem lies tbh

/\ This!

ScottB
09-01-2011, 01:11 PM
How do you know they don't?

Answer: You don't?

Rod is at East Mains - the TRAINING CENTRE - every day. Not at Easter Road, where the business is, but he's a large presence at the players place of work.

And he has over-ruled club fines under Yogi (source one of our senior players).

But then is this sort of thing uncommon in the workplace? I don't think it is.

If you have an issue with your immediate boss, you're most likely to go above his head with a complaint.

I myself have had an immediate boss want to take action against me, but they were over ruled by their boss, don't see a problem with that.

vla_di_vla
09-01-2011, 01:12 PM

From someone who knows RP well. Certainly up to and during yogi's time but not sure whats happened since CC took over but long enough for a culture to establish itself. I think he knows himself he shouldnt get involved but is too stuborn to stop.

Jack
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM

There's enough speculation on here and in the press about who has been up for the jobs with the odd names touting themselves as interested.

So its about as credible as fans we are likely to get.

I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree while using subjective numerical references like overwhelming, minority and many. If there were polls, even on here, I really have neither the time nor the inclination to spend hours looking for them. :greengrin

I can’t say I was overenthusiastic about Yogi, as I had a spy in the Falkirk changing room (oo err) who told of outrageous goings on, and Mixu didn't do it for me either. As a Hibby I just hoped I was wrong and got behind them. I can distinctly remember feeling in a minority each time though.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:16 PM
But then is this sort of thing uncommon in the workplace? I don't think it is.

If you have an issue with your immediate boss, you're most likely to go above his head with a complaint.

I myself have had an immediate boss want to take action against me, but they were over ruled by their boss, don't see a problem with that.

Thing is Scott you and few others don't see any problem with anything that Petrie does.

I think drawing parallels between professional football teams and what you and I do to earn a living is a little tenuous...

Petrie is the Chairman - Calderwood is the Manager, there should be very clear lines of demarcation.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Probably at his house was an error but there was a reason it was there. And Jones was part of the initial delegation.

But there was a public apology from Jones so I dont see how that undermined the manager?

Or. Does. That. Not. Fit. ?.

Bollox. It should NEVER have been at Petries house. It should never have been a delegation. Jones was Captain, shop-steward, he should have met the Chairman at the place of work.

Have you actually heard or read Jones' apology? It was embarrassing.

But just to remind you - ya wee troll - the players don't go to Scott L they go to Mr Petrie, cos he's never away from the place.

CropleyWasGod
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Thing is Scott you and few others don't see any problem with anything that Petrie does.

I think drawing parallels between professional football teams and what you and I do to earn a living is a little tenuous...

Petrie is the Chairman - Calderwood is the Manager, there should be very clear lines of demarcation.

I don't think it is tenuous. It's a workplace, governed by legislation and best practice. It will have a defined grievance procedure, like any other club (probably agreed with the SPFA).

I think it's more HOW that procedure is acted out that is the issue here. If RP over-ruled JH every time (which is unlikely).... either he 's a megalomaniac or JH was a fud. The truth is, of course, probably somewhere in between.

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Bollox. It should NEVER have been at Petries house. It should never have been a delegation. Jones was Captain, shop-steward, he should have met the Chairman at the place of work.

Have you actually heard or read Jones' apology? It was embarrassing.

But just to remind you - ya wee troll - the players don't go to Scott L they go to Mr Petrie, cos he's never away from the place.

Do you got ER? Lets meet up and discuss that one:greengrin

Oh how we'll all laugh at the end of the day

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think it is tenuous. It's a workplace, governed by legislation and best practice. It will have a defined grievance procedure, like any other club (probably agreed with the SPFA).

I think it's more HOW that procedure is acted out that is the issue here. If RP over-ruled JH every time (which is unlikely).... either he 's a megalomaniac or JH was a fud. The truth is, of course, probably somewhere in between.

The suggestion is that Petrie's presence and influence is greater than it should, or needs to be.

At the end of the day, what is that the players are complaining about, exactly?

Of course - they're governed by UK Employment Law, but this doesn't explain why he has such an influence, does it.

Perspective
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Petrie exerts far too much control on the football side of things, an area he has little expertise in.

Even things like player fines, what the manager wears, where young players go on loan, who comes in etc - football decisions he should have little say in. The first-team budget is not the problem, it's the lack of freedom the manager has to make best use of it.

I don't think managers should be given free rein, because they look short-term, but the right Director of Football to put some sort of long-term strategy in place is essential. The exception is an outstanding individual like a Ferguson or Guardiola. On top of that, the excellent Academy staff work with two hands tied behind their backs.

In my opinion we don't have the people or structure at present to turn things around and an unprofessional culture exists in the dressing room. That might change when certain players leave, but I've no faith in the current scouting system to adequately replace them.

Sounds depressing and I hope I'm wrong.

PaulSmith
09-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Petrie exerts far too much control on the football side of things, an area he has little expertise in.

Even things like player fines, what the manager wears, where young players go on loan, who comes in etc - football decisions he should have little say in. The first-team budget is not the problem, it's the lack of freedom the manager has to make best use of it.

I don't think managers should be given free rein, because they look short-term, but the right Director of Football to put some sort of long-term strategy in place is essential. The exception is an outstanding individual like a Ferguson or Guardiola. On top of that, the excellent Academy staff work with two hands tied behind their backs.

In my opinion we don't have the people or structure at present to turn things around and an unprofessional culture exists in the dressing room. That might change when certain players leave, but I've no faith in the current scouting system to adequately replace them.

Sounds depressing and I hope I'm wrong.

10/10 mate, spot on with the academy shout as well IMO.

BEEJ
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
They [the Board] did however oversee...........

JC winning us a trophy
Mixu getting consecutive top six finishes
Yogi getting us 4th place and into Europe
A substantial reduction in debt whilst giving us a stadium to be proud of.

Should we blame them for that?
It's curious; I first read these three lines on here about two nights ago. And they've now been taken up as inerrant truth by three or four separate posters. :greengrin

But as ever they give only one perspective of events:

JC winning us a trophy - yes, but our first in 16 years. Is that really something to wear as a badge of honour? Are we now for the next 15 - 20 years going to point back to 2007 as our time of glory when we won our trophy?

It was a great day that I will always remember, but sadly overshadowed by many other aspects of JC's reign.

Mixu getting consecutive top six finishes - yes, he finished 6th twice. Is this now regarded as the pinnacle of achievement for Hibs as a club? Please, no.

Yogi getting us 4th place and into Europe - yup! 4th place is much more like it, albeit that we crawled over the finishing line ahead of the others with our last gasp. Only to endure a short-lived and somewhat dismal foray onto the European stage.

I can't get wildly enthused about any of that by way of justification for the Board's performance. Not entirely their fault either. But if they were looking for a closing statement from their defence counsel in a court of law I don't think the jury would be that convinced by this set of one-liners.

The only one that truly didn't was the only one that left of his own accord without having another job to go to. And that was only because JC had the financial wherewithal to do so. His departure was a very telling episode.

If others were as financially secure and not as dependent upon a continuing management career in UK football they might well have done the same.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Great post, welcome to Hibs.net. :top marks

Dear oh dear, oh dear.

ScottB
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM

It's still a workplace that must function under the same rules and guidelines as any other. Whether you like that or not.

As for me 'seeing no problem with anything he does' give it a rest eh, we all know you don't like anything he does. My disagreeing with you doesn't make me president of the Petrie fanclub.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
It's still a workplace that must function under the same rules and guidelines as any other. Whether you like that or not.

As for me 'seeing no problem with anything he does' give it a rest eh, we all know you don't like anything he does. My disagreeing with you doesn't make me president of the Petrie fanclub.

There just appears to be a little enclave of posters on here, who simply refuse to accept that Petrie might actually be the source of some of our issues. It's almost like the very thought of it is wrong. I wasn't aware there was a President, but you're no-where near that status :greengrin

Like I said - what exactly do these players have to complain about that they need to go to Petrie? They go to him because they can, and they know he likes to be involved.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
It's curious; I first read these three lines on here about two nights ago. And they've now been taken up as inerrant truth by three or four separate posters. :greengrin

JC winning us a trophy - yes, but our first in 16 years. Is that really something to wear as a badge of honour? Are we now for the next 15 - 20 years going to point back to 2007 as our time of glory when we won our trophy?

It was a great day that I will always remember, but sadly overshadowed by many other aspects of JC's reign.

Mixu getting consecutive top six finishes - yes, he finished 6th twice. Is this now regarded as the pinnacle of achievement for Hibs as a club? Please, no.

Yogi getting us 4th place and into Europe - yup! 4th place is much more like it, albeit that we crawled over the finishing line ahead of the others with our last gasp. Only to endure a short-lived and somewhat dismal foray onto the European stage.

I can't get wildly enthused about any of that by way of justification for the Board's performance. Not entirely their fault either. But if they were looking for a closing statement from their defence counsel in a court of law I don't think the jury would be that convinced by this set of one-liners.

The only one that truly didn't was the only one that left of his own accord without having another job to go to. And that was only because JC had the financial wherewithal to do so. His departure was a very telling episode.

If others were as financially secure and not as dependent upon a continuing management career in UK football they might well have done the same.

Very good points, specifically about JC. I understand Pa Broon was approached but refused to even talk to Hibs...

Ray_
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I dont get to see who has applied for the jobs anywhere else I am a customer either.

So what's your answer then? Publicise the candidates and ask the fans to decide?

I think you both may have read the original post by Jack & my reply again, because there was absolutely no criticism of the selection process, as you are both suggesting in the reply’s that you’ve made..

ScottB
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
There just appears to be a little enclave of posters on here, who simply refuse to accept that Petrie might actually be the source of some of our issues. It's almost like the very thought of it is wrong. I wasn't aware there was a President, but you're no-where near that status :greengrin

Like I said - what exactly do these players have to complain about that they need to go to Petrie? They go to him because they can, and they know he likes to be involved.

In a number of threads recently I have laid out my complaints about the club. Can't be bothered listing them again.

Whether the players had a genuine complaint or not is fairly irrelevant really, they collectively obviously had an issue with their boss. Do we know they made no attempt to raise it with Collins himself? In any case I'd say they are well within their rights to go up the chain with their complaint, as any other employee of any other business has the right to do.

Not saying Petrie covered himself in glory with the incident, but what was the alternative exactly? Tell them all to do one? Would that have improved squad morale at the time?

Simply, I don't think we know enough about exactly what happened at the time.

Ray_
09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
There's enough speculation on here and in the press about who has been up for the jobs with the odd names touting themselves as interested.

So its about as credible as fans we are likely to get.

I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree while using subjective numerical references like overwhelming, minority and many. If there were polls, even on here, I really have neither the time nor the inclination to spend hours looking for them. :greengrin

I can’t say I was overenthusiastic about Yogi, as I had a spy in the Falkirk changing room (oo err) who told of outrageous goings on, and Mixu didn't do it for me either. As a Hibby I just hoped I was wrong and got behind them. I can distinctly remember feeling in a minority each time though.

Yeah, and it is reported that over 100 people applied for the job & of course the club can always head hunt another manager, who hadn't applied, but who the club fancied.

What I was basically saying though is even although the fans would want a particular target; as they are rightly not part of the process, they aren’t really in the best position to make that judgement.

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Dear Mr Petrie, "the most important person at any football club has to be the manager" source: Sir Alex Ferguson.

smurf
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Very good points, specifically about JC. I understand Pa Broon was approached but refused to even talk to Hibs...

And that tells us something.

matty_f
09-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Beej, it was me that first used the ' achievements' of the previous managers to illustrate a point, which, iirc, was to say that on the face off it there is a very clear argument to discredit the notion that the last few managerial appointments have been failures to the point where the board should resign.
Wearing them as a badge of honour was not the intention.

matty_f
09-01-2011, 02:17 PM

That he doesn't like hibs? :dunno:

we approached him to see if he was interested, we didn't offer him the job. Quite a big difference.

ScottB
09-01-2011, 02:21 PM

And what is that exactly then? Or are you just jumping to conclusions to suit your agenda? Your supposing he turned us down cause of big bad meddling Petrie (Christ you'd think he'd become Mad Vlad) and not one of countless other reasons, anything from not thinking he could do anything with our squad, not fancying moving to Edinburgh or even not liking the bloody colour green. Could be anything, you don't know, I don't know.

He turned us down, big deal. Assuming he actually did.

I love how we've had rants about our Board doing no headhunting and just hiring whoever comes along, while at the same time others complaining about people who were approached and turned us down. Which is it then as both can't be right!

The Falcon
09-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I think you both may have read the original post by Jack & my reply again, because there was absolutely no criticism of the selection process, as you are both suggesting in the reply’s that you’ve made..

Then I apologise

BEEJ
09-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Beej, it was me that first used the ' achievements' of the previous managers to illustrate a point, which, iirc, was to say that on the face off it there is a very clear argument to discredit the notion that the last few managerial appointments have been failures to the point where the board should resign.
Wearing them as a badge of honour was not the intention.
Matty, others seem to be developing that argument building on your original summary.

I love how we've had rants about our Board doing no headhunting and just hiring whoever comes along, while at the same time others complaining about people who were approached and turned us down. Which is it then as both can't be right!
Have we had a number of 'rants' on here about the lack of head-hunting in management selection?

I made a point about head-hunting in response to one of your posts but it was hardly a rant. :wink: Haven't seen many other posts on the subject. :confused:

ScottB
09-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Matty, others seem to be developing that argument building on your original summary.

Have we had a number of 'rants' on here about the lack of head-hunting in management selection?

I made a point about head-hunting in response to one of your posts but it was hardly a rant. :wink: Haven't seen many other posts on the subject. :confused:

No, not you mate, just it's funny when we have some folk complaining about one thing, and others about the direct opposite!

Jack
09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, and it is reported that over 100 people applied for the job & of course the club can always head hunt another manager, who hadn't applied, but who the club fancied.

What I was basically saying though is even although the fans would want a particular target; as they are rightly not part of the process, they aren’t really in the best position to make that judgement.

I think we’re not going to agree on this absolutely so I’ll partly agree in principle. :greengrin

The only real part of the recruitment process we are not privy to is the interview(s). We, the Hibs support, have a pretty good idea of who the realistic candidates are/were. I can’t remember if I applied or not :cool2:

In today’s internet drenched media the potential targets for all sorts related to football can’t get on a 26 bus without someone spotting them! So I think it’s fair to say potential candidates for a managerial post like Hibs aren’t going stay secret for long. The final selection and announcement may stay secret. I seem to recall during the last couple of hiring’s Rod Petrie being spotted in his car at a Lanark hotel, the train down to Newcastle and elsewhere, about to board a flight to the continent, can’t remember where. Potential candidates were spotted in hotels in Edinburgh, throughout the central belt and the north west of England!

All these ‘candidates’ are stat’d to death in any one of a hundred football stats websites; weekly/daily reports of how they have done and what they have done since they were teenagers are all over the place, so we can all make up our minds as to their suitability to be the Hibs manager. Rightly or wrongly.

Also anyone who has seriously done recruitment interviewing will know that that is the weakest part of the recruitment process and that, as I have said, is the only part we’re not really privy to.

Anyway, to go back a bit, I’ll stand by my original statement, rehashed a bit, that there weren’t many (another subjective numerical reference) disappointed with the managers that have been chosen at the time they were announced as the new Hibs manager. So as a collective we’re just as *****e as the Board at 'choosing' them!

I’ll also stand by another previous statement and say we should have hired John Toshack this time round. :faf:

No seriously we should have :agree:

mcfly
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Perhaps you have experience of supporters boycotts, open letters and protest groups already. How do you think these meetings will go?

I can just see it now.....

BARRACK ROOM LAWYER: Mr Petrie, we are most respectfully and humbly pointing out that your days are numbered unless we turn things round. (Thanks for the tea and ginger nuts by the way, it's nothing personal.)

RP: ***** off:

BRL: OK then.

(continues for 4 more chairmen)

aye very good reply - shows how ignorant you are. is RP gonna bite the hand that feeds him?? no fans, no club

seems to me the only thing the board will listen to is the non renewal of season books.

Ray_
09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I’ll also stand by another previous statement and say we should have hired John Toshack this time round. :fafNo seriously we should have :agree:

More than that, we should have signed him around 1978, when we were reportedly interested in him & were scratching around for somebody to score goals for us & then later he may have become our player manager, instead of taking Swansea up from the old forth division to top of the big league:greengrin

chorley_fm
09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Don't think the derbies have been as one sided, and we can match their Scottish Cup with a League Cup win.

I think you'll mind most if not all on here would happily swap our league cup wins for a scottich cuop win and the upper hand in the derbies

RIP
09-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe all selections - Collins, Mixu or Yogi would have worked after 2 to 3 years

We will never know whether the conditions were right for them to succeed

sh00byd00
09-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Whilst I still think CC should be given more time, after all, he's only been at the helm for little more than 5 mins, i think the biggest balls up was not going for Craig Brown.

Broon did a magnificent job at Motherwell with limited resources, has given the sheep a firm kick up the arse and has more managerial experience than our last 4 managers combined. Will never get my head around why Hibs never once made an approach. Time to let managers cut their teeth elsewhere and give us a guy that actually knows what he's doing.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Whilst I still think CC should be given more time, after all, he's only been at the helm for little more than 5 mins, i think the biggest balls up was not going for Craig Brown.

Broon did a magnificent job at Motherwell with limited resources, has given the sheep a firm kick up the arse and has more managerial experience than our last 4 managers combined. Will never get my head around why Hibs never once made an approach. Time to let managers cut their teeth elsewhere and give us a guy that actually knows what he's doing.

Pa Broon was quoted as saying that he had been approached but wasn't interested in the job.

sh00byd00
09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Pa Broon was quoted as saying that he had been approached but wasn't interested in the job.

Ahhh, didn't know that.

Anyhoo, he also said the exact same about Aberdeen. A wee bit more effort is needed as we've had our fair share of apprentice managers.

RickyS
10-01-2011, 12:26 AM

I saw an article where Broon was responding to criticism of him leaving Well. he said something like, they (Well) know I am a loyal person, I had no contract yet still turned down another SPL club THIS season................hmmm we were the only ones looking

on the OP points about Petrie, appears the journo's at the scotsman have been inspired to do a piece on him. here is the story but the full piece you will need to read the paper or pay to read

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Stuart-Bathgate-Hibs-failings-put.6684933.jp

Skanko79
10-01-2011, 07:02 AM
no point going into great detail about how hibs go about their business appointing people. the harsh reality of it is a complete muppet has given another muppet the chance to manage 11 muppets. thats how it is and you can all talk about how to change it till the cows come home. there is no defending hibs at the moment, we are, as it stands a terrible terrible football team with little or no passion and hardly any appetite.

JimBHibees
10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
no point going into great detail about how hibs go about their business appointing people. the harsh reality of it is a complete muppet has given another muppet the chance to manage 11 muppets. thats how it is and you can all talk about how to change it till the cows come home. there is no defending hibs at the moment, we are, as it stands a terrible terrible football team with little or no passion and hardly any appetite.

That will be that, discussion over. Close the thread.