PDA

View Full Version : Petries's luck has ran out.

Spike Mandela
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM
No matter your viewpoint on Mr Petrie he has ran a business well selling all it's good assets at top prices and invested in infrastructure.

Every year he has had at least 1 star player available to fund his strategy right up until the £1m for Stokes last year. Now we are reduced to selling Bamba for a pittance.

There is nobody left to flog and we have overstretched ourselves on the new stand leaving us a team with massively diluted talent on the park and contracts running out soon.

With the financial enviroment for everyone, crowds down, commercial income down we are now at the thin end of the wedge with little room for movement in transfer market.

Petrie your luck has run out!!

Cocaine&Caviar
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
From what I gather, we have a more than competetive wage budget with all of those around us competing for 3rd, bar Hearts. As long as that is the case IMO we cant really have a go at Petrie, he's sold players that wanted to leave, and if they were to stay, they would require bigger salaries which we cannot afford.

Yes, we may have used the wage budget poorly, but thats down to the individual managers' signings...

new malkyhib
08-01-2011, 04:26 PM
From what I gather, we have a more than competetive wage budget with all of those around us competing for 3rd, bar Hearts. As long as that is the case IMO we cant really have a go at Petrie, he's sold players that wanted to leave, and if they were to stay, they would require bigger salaries which we cannot afford.

Yes, we may have used the wage budget poorly, but thats down to the individual managers' signings...

Thanks, Rod.

Jim44
08-01-2011, 04:28 PM
No matter your viewpoint on Mr Petrie he has ran a business well selling all it's good assets at top prices and invested in infrastructure.

Every year he has had at least 1 star player available to fund his strategy right up until the £1m for Stokes last year. Now we are reduced to selling Bamba for a pittance.

There is nobody left to flog and we have overstretched ourselves on the new stand leaving us a team with massively diluted talent on the park and contracts running out soon.

With the financial enviroment for everyone, crowds down, commercial income down we are now at the thin end of the wedge with little room for movement in transfer market.

Pat Nevin hit the nail on the head in Final Score when he said that our demise coincided with the sale of Stokes. We were certainly garbage in the second half of last season too but the presence of Stokes enabled us somehow to scramble our way to 4th place. They say his influence was bad for the team but what price his absence from the team?

Saorsa
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Nothing left tae sell :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Pat Nevin hit the nail on the head in Final Score when he said that our demise coincided with the sale of Stokes. We were certainly garbage in the second half of last season too but the presence of Stokes enabled us somehow to scramble our way to 4th place. They say his influence was bad for the team but what price his absence from the team?

I'm not buying that. That team suffered really poor results in the second half of last season with Stokes in the team (1-5 at Perth, 1-4 at Hamilton, etc.). That's probably one of the (many) excuses Hughes would peddle, ie "Ah wiz daeing a great joab until Rodd punted Stokesy"

smurf
08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Hands off Rod Petrie.

Remember the golden rule. Regardless and whatever else he's doing a grand job.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM

I couldnae agree more, wont be long until the i can smell a Yam nonsense comes along though!

sesoim
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM

He keeps making bad appointments, Calderwood probably being the worst yet. So he IS culpable, more than anybody.

I agree about the budget thing though - a decent manager should get us 4th with the wage bill we have.

CB_NO3
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Petries time is up. We are a joke of a club just now. We need proper investment in the team and a chairman that knows how to run a football club. Am not buying all this rubbish Petrie has done a grand job, he has done an ok job. It was not him that got rid of the debt, it was Hibs, we had the car park which we got 10 million for, that belonged to Hibs not Petrie, we had excellent players and sold them for decent cash but to be fair I think we got what they were valued at so that was not all Petries doing, any decent chairman would have done the same. We have invested in rubbish managers and rubbish players over the years, that is Petries doing.

HFC_0762
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Petries time is up. We are a joke of a club just now. We need proper investment in the team and a chairman that knows how to run a football club. Am not buying all this rubbish Petrie has done a grand job, he has done an ok job. It was not him that got rid of the debt, it was Hibs, we had the car park which we got 10 million for, that belonged to Hibs not Petrie, we had excellent players and sold them for decent cash but to be fair I think we got what they were valued at so that was not all Petries doing, any decent chairman would have done the same. We have invested in rubbish managers and rubbish players over the years, that is Petries doing.
Stop defending mr petrie , he keeps employing 'managers' who time after time fail , ie/ mixu , yogi and so far calderwood , football managers dont employ themselves , mr petrie employs them , he constantly sells players and replaces them with garbage absolute garbage , no doubt people will stick up for him , why spend x amount on a stand that is never full why not invest money on players good players not garbage people will say the manager signs the players which he does but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys , any gd player we do get we sell , a nice big stand doesnt get you points PLAYERS DO !!! enoughs enough stop defending petrie

CB_NO3
08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Stop defending mr petrie , he keeps employing 'managers' who time after time fail , ie/ mixu , yogi and so far calderwood , football managers dont employ themselves , mr petrie employs them , he constantly sells players and replaces them with garbage absolute garbage , no doubt people will stick up for him , why spend x amount on a stand that is never full why not invest money on players good players not garbage people will say the manager signs the players which he does but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys , any gd player we do get we sell , a nice big stand doesnt get you points PLAYERS DO !!! enoughs enough stop defending petrie

I aint defending Petrie, I am against him. Read my post again. :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
That's some lucky streak Petrie had, over 10 years and nothing to show for it but a healthy balance sheet, training complex, completed stadium, CIS Cup win and four (?) European place finishes.

Oh wait a minute, nobody's thinking more than a week ahead.

(Another thread full of people on low post counts, what can it all mean?)

lucky
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
That's some lucky streak Petrie had, over 10 years and nothing to show for it but a healthy balance sheet, training complex, completed stadium, CIS Cup win and four (?) European place finishes.

Agree with all of that. we all knew this season was going to be one of transition. Petrie has delivered on all these fronts. but there is a perception that Hibs are Scotlands 3 biggest club and that we have always challenged for trophies. sadly thats not the case. the last 10 years have seen the club do as well on the park as we have done since the early 1950's of the park we have transformed. But the reality this season has been awful

Spike Mandela
08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Nobody denies his success on infrastructure though I suspect the healthy balance sheet might need to see a doctor after this season. As for Europe well maybe twice through league qualification and the other two were intertoto were they not, and what a great fist we made of Europe on all these occasions.:devil:

The point of my OP was to suggest he has done all this in the 'lucky' position of having top talent on long term contracts which he could sell for big bucks.

That gravy train has dried up and our team is so weak it needs strengthened in every position just to stay in the league.

As for thinking a week ahead, we have been in transition so long now when all these other areas have been strengthened that surely someone , some day will actually consider putting team improvement first priority, surely.

Silent_Hibee
08-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Absolutely bang on correct mate. no players left, the youth system has gone down hill in recent years as well.

you will sell players throught thwo factors - 1. good recruitment/scouting and 2. youth products

on 1. we have nothing, well we have something but it would be as well being nothing

on 2. hanlon and wotherspoon - are they sellable? cos if not we have nothing left to sell with no sign of anything coming through

we will be making losses as a business

SHAMBLES

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Nobody denies his success on infrastructure though I suspect the healthy balance sheet might need to see a doctor after this season. As for Europe well maybe twice through league qualification and the other two were intertoto were they not, and what a great fist we made of Europe on all these occasions.:devil:

The point of my OP was to suggest he has done all this in the 'lucky' position of having top talent on long term contracts which he could sell for big bucks.

That gravy train has dried up and our team is so weak it needs strengthened in every position just to stay in the league.

As for thinking a week ahead, we have been in transition so long now when all these other areas have been strengthened that surely someone , some day will actually consider putting team improvement first priority, surely.

Fair enough. I think other clubs have also been in the lucky position of having a good crop of youngsters, yet ended up with nowt to show for it. The difference is that Hibs have got stuff to show for it, and that stuff won't have to be bought again, and didn't cost a lot in debts.

I don't think that's down to luck, but down to skill and judgement.

IWasThere2016
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Fair enough. I think other clubs have also been in the lucky position of having a good crop of youngsters, yet ended up with nowt to show for it. The difference is that Hibs have got stuff to show for it, and that stuff won't have to be bought again, and didn't cost a lot in debts.

I don't think that's down to luck, but down to skill and judgement.

Now there's nothing to sell, and a trading loss of £2m at present, I'd respectively suggest this is when we will see what skill and judgement our Board - led by RP - have.

My personal view is they will come up short - and some way short also.

Ray_
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Agree with all of that. we all knew this season was going to be one of transition. Petrie has delivered on all these fronts. but there is a perception that Hibs are Scotlands 3 biggest club and that we have always challenged for trophies. sadly thats not the case. the last 10 years have seen the club do as well on the park as we have done since the early 1950's of the park we have transformed. But the reality this season has been awful

You think so, that's a grave injustice to the exciting teams of the sixties and early seventies, when we would regularly qualify for Europe & play some of the game's giants & not get humiliated, as we have been in recent years, by Europe's minnows.