PDA

View Full Version : If our owner wishes to run us like a business we should be run like a business!

Ryan69
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Our excuse recently has always been about balancing books and getting good profits.
We needed to take a gamble last year and we failed todo that!
We were a win away from the top nearly a year ago,and with investment Rangers and celtic were there for the taking!
We build this new stand(which has never been filled),but in business surely you advertise a product....The new stand should of been open intime for europe as there was not even a 2 week gap within completion! Im sure a 24 hour building site for a week solid would of made it,and increased crowds and created a buzz.

Basically Petrie and his diciples have majorly ****ed up,im hardly overawed with the new choice of manager....as personally i would go with a manager of experience,who can kick some *****!

Please feel free to add the rest of the inadqueces that our deluded board have been doing,im personally sick of it!

Andy74
08-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Our excuse recently has always been about balancing books and getting good profits.
We were a win away from the top nearly a year ago,and with investment Rangers and celtic were there for the taking!
We build this new stand(which has never been filled),but in business surely you advertise a product....The new stand should of been open intime for europe as there was not even a 2 week gap within completion! Im sure a 24 hour building site for a week solid would of made it,and increased crowds and created a buzz.

Basically Petrie and his diciples have majorly ****ed up,im hardly overawed with the new choice of manager....as personally i would go with a manager of experience,who can kick some *****!

Please feel free to add the rest of the inadqueces that our deluded board have been doing,im personally sick of it!
9 players signed since January last year. Can you point me to where the leeway is in the accounts to do more?

Ryan69
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
9 players signed since January last year. Can you point me to where the leeway is in the accounts to do more?

You pay peanuts...you get monkeys!

give abit of cash to get 2 solid experienced players! The fact we recieved 9 for free emphasises what Im saying!

:taxi

Andy74
08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
You pay peanuts...you get monkeys!

give abit of cash to get 2 solid experienced players! The fact we recieved 9 for free emphasises what Im saying!

:taxi

How to use the budget isn't the job of the board.

clerriehibs
08-01-2011, 04:27 PM

The only thing that Petrie and the rest of the board are doing wrong is NOT sticking with their decisions. They let Collins go because too many gobby players didn't like him, and we've let Paatelainen and Hughes go because too many gobby fans didn't like them. None of these managers lasted long enough to truly have an effect.

So long as Petrie's decisions are made because he doesn't like being unpopular with fans that he knows don't know enough to see the longer term picture, then we'll remain in the mess we are.

How about just shutting up and giving a manager space for a couple of seasons. See if a bit of continuity makes a difference to us. And if it's still Petrie's head you're after, how about putting up a clear argument about what difference a new CEO could and would make. Same goes for those who
want Farmer to go.

And for those who think hearts offer a good business model ... :rolleyes:

Ryan69
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Surely allocation of a a budget is though isnt it?

invest in a couple of proven experienced players and we would of been challenging! Rangers and Celtic were.....and still are *****!

Even 2nd place would of covered slightly higher wages,due to champo money,and gave a buzz leading to at very worst an open new stand for Europa league....creating more money!

PaulSmith
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Reserves, loans and trialists whilst we sold £5m+ plus in the last 18 months.
You know the market Petrie is forcing managers to work in.

Part/Time Supporter
08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
The only thing that Petrie and the rest of the board are doing wrong is NOT sticking with their decisions. They let Collins go because too many gobby players didn't like him, and we've let Paatelainen and Hughes go because too many gobby fans didn't like them. None of these managers lasted long enough to truly have an effect.

So long as Petrie's decisions are made because he doesn't like being unpopular with fans that he knows don't know enough to see the longer term picture, then we'll remain in the mess we are.

How about just shutting up and giving a manager space for a couple of seasons. See if a bit of continuity makes a difference to us. And if it's still Petrie's head you're after, how about putting up a clear argument about what difference a new CEO could and would make. Same goes for those who
want Farmer to go.

Nail on head.

Riordan was signed in August 2008 because the fans chanted "Petrie GTF" during a 0-1 defeat v Motherwell. Riordan was signed a few days later and Petrie was hailed as a genius again. I'm not saying that signing Riordan was wrong, but I'm pointing to the motivation for the deal to be made.

Even the handling of Hughes was done on this sort of basis. I don't really see what changed that significantly during the couple of months he was given this season to go from backing him to bring in a few veteran players on higher wages (ie de Graaf and Hart) to punting him in early October.

The gutsy call would have been either to a) punt him in the summer on the basis of the collapse in playing standards during last season, or b) actually give him the time to turn things around. But, again, either of those options would have risked attracting criticism to Rod. Notwithstanding the poor results in the later part of last season, he would have been criticised by a significant segment of the media for sacking Hughes after qualifying for Europe, etc. Equally, he would have potentially attracted criticism from fans at the AGM and at games if he had given Hughes more rope (unless Hughes had actually turned things round).

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM

want Farmer to go.

:top marks

I've yet to see one poster give an answer to that question.

Some posters like to pop up every now and then and claim our board are untouchable on here (NOT THE CASE) but go strangely quiet when asked repeatedly to give us their solutions.

We need stability.

Cabbage1875
08-01-2011, 04:59 PM

It was the job of the oh so wonderful Yogi, then?

PaulSmith
08-01-2011, 05:08 PM

I've yet to see one poster give an answer to that question.

Some posters like to pop up every now and then and claim our board are untouchable on here (NOT THE CASE) but go strangely quiet when asked repeatedly to give us their solutions.

We need stability.

BH, disagree here..the problem with at the top of the club is not stability but the fact that one man has been there too long.

The problem now is that we have one man who will never take any form of "gamble" I hate using that word but what I mean is that the manager will be given a budget and that is basically that...no thought given to what an extra £150k a year would have given us if we'd signed Kevin Kyle, asking the manager to sell Stokes for £1.3m and then trying to tell us at the AGM that it was Hughes decision and he was happy to replace Stokes with a loanee from Bristol City.

We never build upon our success, we never pushed on after the CIS win, we never seen the opportunity last January to strengthen and give the OF a run for the last 5 months of the season. That is down to the structure and visions build upon by our Board of Directors.

We have now witnessed another appalling managerial appointment, I make no excuse for saying that I was shocked and had grave doubts when we made him manager at the time to now being sure that CC is absolutely not the man that we need right now. We needed a manager that would lift the whole club in the same way that Mowbray did, we have someone who makes Alex Miller look like Kevin Bridges.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
BH, disagree here..the problem with at the top of the club is not stability but the fact that one man has been there too long. Why is that a problem?:confused:

The problem now is that we have one man who will never take any form of "gamble" I hate using that word but what I mean is that the manager will be given a budget and that is basically that Thats the whole point of a budget isn't it? :confused:...no thought given to what an extra £150k a year would have given us if we'd signed Kevin Kyle and if that hadn't worked what next?, asking the manager to sell Stokes for £1.3m and then trying to tell us at the AGM that it was Hughes decision and he was happy to replace Stokes with a loanee from Bristol City.

:agree: One of my biggest bug bears with the current regime is how often we are lied to ie. ticket sales

We never build upon our success, we never pushed on after the CIS win, we never seen the opportunity last January to strengthen and give the OF a run for the last 5 months of the season. That is down to the structure and visions build upon by our Board of Directors.

We have now witnessed another appalling managerial appointment, I make no excuse for saying that I was shocked and had grave doubts when we made him manager at the time to now being sure that CC is absolutely not the man that we need right now. We needed a manager that would lift the whole club in the same way that Mowbray did, we have someone who makes Alex Miller look like Kevin Bridges.

Paul - I'm hurting as much as the next man - CC's appointment didn't excite me either but we can't keep going down this road....

Its often repeatedly said that the board are untouchable on here (Bollocks by the way) but what could they do different? Spend hundreds of thousands we cant afford? Personally I don't want us to go down that road.

It was ST sales that cost Mixu his job - todays crowd will be the alarm call that may just jolt the board into doing something.

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 05:27 PM
More rubbish from people with delusions of adequacy.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
not sure you can run a business if you don't have and end product to sell. Where we are now is perhaps a measure of our investment in players. Our investment in infrastructure may bring through a team of home-grown talent but that maybe four or five seasons away.

PaulSmith
08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Paul - I'm hurting as much as the next man - CC's appointment didn't excite me either but we can't keep going down this road....

Its often repeatedly said that the board are untouchable on here (Bollocks by the way) but what could they do different? Spend hundreds of thousands we cant afford? Personally I don't want us to go down that road.

It was ST sales that cost Mixu his job - todays crowd will be the alarm call that may just jolt the board into doing something.

It's a problem, IMO only of course, in that the club is stale and devoid of any character, drive, bullishness and excitement. It's all very safe and stable, no risks and "hey if we get beat then good luck to the other team".

If Calderwood is not a motivational manager and the Board won't take any risks and give him decent funds to survive this dog flight then why give him the job?

Spend hundreds of thousands, that's exactly what is needed right now.Note not millions and not an amount that cannot be managed but an amount that will save this season and help persuade more than 4500 Hibs fans to turn up at Easter Road.

Players should've been identified and signed ready to go on 1st January, we should've announced pre-contracts for next season for players who give you that feeling that they will make a difference. No gambles, but quality right through the spine of the team to try and bridge the gap between what we have sold and the utter crap that we have forced managers to sign.

EasterRoad4Ever
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM

want Farmer to go.

Maybe because it became patently obvious that the managers they appointed were never up to the job.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
It's a problem, IMO only of course, in that the club is stale and devoid of any character, drive, bullishness and excitement. It's all very safe and stable, no risks and "hey if we get beat then good luck to the other team".

If Calderwood is not a motivational manager and the Board won't take any risks and give him decent funds to survive this dog flight then why give him the job?

Spend hundreds of thousands, that's exactly what is needed right now.Note not millions and not an amount that cannot be managed but an amount that will save this season and help persuade more than 4500 Hibs fans to turn up at Easter Road.

Players should've been identified and signed ready to go on 1st January, we should've announced pre-contracts for next season for players who give you that feeling that they will make a difference. No gambles, but quality right through the spine of the team to try and bridge the gap between what we have sold and the utter crap that we have forced managers to sign.

All great points Paul and whilst I might not agree with them all I would agree with that last paragraph. There's a malaise at the club right now and absolutely no positive PR coming out. This IMO is what the board should be doing more of.

They back each manager - I defy anyone to say they haven't. Perhaps the reason CC hasn't signed anyone yet is because of the mistakes made by the last few managers in the transfer market? :dunno:

Cheers for taking the time to post solutions - much more refreshing than the usual "don't blame our untouchable board" nonsense.

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 05:45 PM

But the individual trusted with the budget was placed there by this said board .... YES!

I have never been anti Petrie/Farmer and that has not changed. I just feel he should be as accountable for his decisons as the managers that have come and gone before him... and there are lots of them...

7Hero
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
doesnt't matter who the ceo is, they are still answerable to farmer.

i want to support a football team not a business, end of story, give me debt and adventures ive had enough of this *****..

Graham Law
08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
BH, disagree here..the problem with at the top of the club is not stability but the fact that one man has been there too long.

The problem now is that we have one man who will never take any form of "gamble" I hate using that word but what I mean is that the manager will be given a budget and that is basically that...no thought given to what an extra £150k a year would have given us if we'd signed Kevin Kyle, asking the manager to sell Stokes for £1.3m and then trying to tell us at the AGM that it was Hughes decision and he was happy to replace Stokes with a loanee from Bristol City.

Two very good posts Paul

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Sorry mate, not being funny, but what is your expertise in business based on? Are you an accountant, do you have an MBA, are you a succesful investor on the Stock Exchange.

Secondly, who would you replace Rod Petrie with, how much would that person earn, and how would he go about raising the money to fund the club's ambitions?

PaulSmith
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry mate, not being funny, but what is your expertise in business based on? Are you an accountant, do you have an MBA, are you a succesful investor on the Stock Exchange.

Secondly, who would you replace Rod Petrie with, how much would that person earn, and how would he go about raising the money to fund the club's ambitions?

A bit harsh FR, I'm sure you've posted on the qualities of various players on here but never kicked a baw as a profession.

It's an opinion, whether the point is well made or not responses like yours add nothing...a bit like my reply right now to you! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
A bit harsh FR, I'm sure you've posted on the qualities of various players on here but never kicked a baw as a profession.

It's an opinion, whether the point is well made or not responses like yours add nothing...a bit like my reply right now to you! :greengrin

Stop using logic to win arguments, don't you know that can only lead to one thing? :na na:

Davy Mac
08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
doesnt't matter who the ceo is, they are still answerable to farmer.

Definately, and maybe just maybe Farmer has taken his eye of the ball - it does happen.

i want to support a football team not a business, end of story, give me debt and adventures ive had enough of this *****..

Disagree, sorry.

Don't know how old you are but a lot of us have witnessed horrendous times over the years with regards to finances and I'm eternally grateful for what the board have given us - stability, stadia & training facilites.

But what I will say, now is the time to change strategy, invest in young up and coming dynamic youngsters, we can't guarantee big wages but we can guarantee a move when the time is right for both parties.

For some reason we've forgotten about that.

The Green Goblin
08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I really think the anger aimed at CC is misplaced. He has shown that he is not afraid to make changes, (e.g. dropping Hogg after he had a nightmare against Aberdeen) but with the current squad, there are very limited options available to him.

Those at the very top at the club should be held accountable for the situation that Hibs are in, not the very recently appointed manager.

GG