PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Adam Rooney

Hibee87
07-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Heard from a fairly decent source hibs have made an offical approach to sign Adam rooney.
Thats all i know so far but I guess if he is playing tomorrow or not could be a good indication :wink:

Andy74
07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Seems to be interest from abroad with six figures being talked about. I'd be surprised but maybe we've actually decided to use the Bamba money.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Heard from a fairly decent source hibs have made an offical approach to sign Adam rooney.
Thats all i know so far but I guess if he is playing tomorrow or not could be a good indication :wink:
Heard the same last night, although the source is a total slaver.

Ritchie
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
would be delighted if true but cant see rodders splashing the cash!

aberhibsfc
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
If there is serious contention for his signature I doubt we'd be able to afford him.

However, the overseas interest could just be flannel. I think Roone would add something to the squad at the very least a bit of fire and determination with hopefully a few goals sprinkled on top.

aberhibsfc
07-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Not to be disrespectful to Rodders, but his frugal ways and home town reminds me of an old joke:

Why are 50 pence peices shaped the way they are?

So you can get a spanner and proze them from an Aberdonians clenched fist.

Obviously this is stereotyping in much the same way as copper wire was invented by two Aberdonians fighting over a two pence.

Apologies to any fine Aberdonians who may be reading, my fathers family are from Aberdeen so technically I am making a bit of fun of myself too, if that makes it any better.

Big Frank
07-01-2011, 08:50 AM
would be delighted if true but cant see rodders splashing the cash!

Hibernian have reached a tipping point with regards to this. We have bottomed out. I fully expect Bambas money to be invested (and more actually).

There will be ahit IMO on the balance books next year. Hibs will go into loss (though relative in comparison with the loss which will be incurred by the majority of other clubs).

The time is coming for Hibs to start scooping up some decent players teams like DUFC for example are having to let go.

I can see the board taking a hit on the balance sheet over the next 2 years :agree:, without it being so large it damages the club longterm.

The board get it abit too tight at times from fans, but really good work has gone on behind the scenes with training complex/new stands etc, but something had to give somewhere, and we know its been on the park. The board will concentrate on the park in the immediate future and not off it.

Keep the faith.

Ritchie
07-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Hibernian have reached a tipping point with regards to this. We have bottomed out. I fully expect Bambas money to be invested (and more actually).

There will be ahit IMO on the balance books next year. Hibs will go into loss (though relative in comparison with the loss which will be incurred by the majority of other clubs).

The time is coming for Hibs to start scooping up some decent players teams like DUFC for example are having to let go.

I can see the board taking a hit on the balance sheet over the next 2 years :agree:, without it being so large it damages the club longterm.

The board get it abit too tight at times from fans, but really good work has gone on behind the scenes with training complex/new stands etc, but something had to give somewhere, and we know its been on the park. The board will concentrate on the park in the immediate future and not off it.

Keep the faith.

I really hope your right.

dont get me wrong, i do think the board have done a fantastic job for the club off the field.... but we need them to concentrate on the field.

fingers crossed!

Craig_in_Prague
07-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Keep the faith.

No chance!!!

derekHFC
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM

:faf: it wasn't the same guy who told you about Steve Clarke was it? :wink:

Big Frank
07-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I really hope your right.

dont get me wrong, i do think the board have done a fantastic job for the club off the field.... but we need them to concentrate on the field.

fingers crossed!

:agree:

scott7_0(Prague)
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Whilst I first thought this is bull****, then thinking about it it could possibly happen.

Rodders is not so daft when he sees an investment, if we can get a deal for the lad and he continues to grow in talent, then a sell on investment could sway Rodders to commit to bringing the lad to Hibs. After all he has done it with Stokes, Bamba, Ivan. Their is a risk of failure and loss of investment but the positives out-sway the negatives.

But Still don't believe it will happen.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 09:26 AM
:faf: it wasn't the same guy who told you about Steve Clarke was it? :wink:

No, not this time!

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-01-2011, 09:27 AM
He seems to be fairly settled where he is. A bit like Deeks with us maybe. Could take a really, really big offer to move him and the SPL, the only team that could do that right now are Hearts. RFC are one out one in and Celtc have just too many players.

Andy74
07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Butcher on Rooney:

"Inverness manager Terry Butcher insists there have been no approaches for Adam Rooney despite reports the striker could be on his way to Russia. Reports claim former Chelsea and Romania player Dan Petrescu is lining up a bid to take the Irishman to his Russian top-flight side Kuban Krasnodar. But Butcher said: "There's nothing in that and still nothing in that. That's actually created a bit of fun in the dressing-room and that's all it is, a piece of nonsense as far as we're concerned. We have had no contact from anyone about any of my players. It's still early in the transfer window, I think the bulk of the business will be done towards the end"

Andy74
07-01-2011, 09:37 AM
He seems to be fairly settled where he is. A bit like Deeks with us maybe. Could take a really, really big offer to move him and the SPL, the only team that could do that right now are Hearts. RFC are one out one in and Celtc have just too many players.

Like Deeks? Who seems to move at the first opportunity every time his contract is up! :greengrin

GreenPJ
07-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Keep the faith.

Sadly with league reconstruction on the cards I don't see there being too much of the purse strings being loosened.

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Same here. The texter has a approx 1 in 100 success rate so fingers crossed.

Brooster
07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Hibs are actively chasing Rooney. We wont be the only ones though.

MacBean
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Even if he does play tomorrow doesn't necessarily mean he wont be moving. Bamba played for us then a few days later bye bye! That deal was in the pipeline for a while and probably had something to do with him not playing against the Sheep.

Brooster
07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Even if he does play tomorrow doesn't necessarily mean he wont be moving. Bamba played for us then a few days later bye bye! That deal was in the pipeline for a while and probably had something to do with him not playing against the Sheep.

Most likely to be a pre contract if he does decide to sign for us but you never know.

frazeHFC
07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Surely Inverness will accept anything over £150k as his contract is out. Hopefully this rumour is true, would be a great signing.

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Surely Inverness will accept anything over £150k as his contract is out. Hopefully this rumour is true, would be a great signing.

Even if we gave them all the Bamba cash (cue loud thump as Rodders passes out) it would be good business.... 4 year deal in which time if he progresses there would be opportunity to sell 2.5/3 years in (cue Rodders coming round with twitching Tache)

Hibee87
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Im looking at it more so as if he plays he would be cup tied and then less valuable IF selling to another SPL club. If hibs are trying to get him they would want his services in the scottish cup no doubt wether a deal is reached today or next week. seems inverness board- if actually considering selling him - would want maximun pennies. He is free to sign a pre contract so whos to say hibs arnt going to get him to sign one then make movemnts to relese him now for say 100K? (ala nish a few years back)

only my opinion the person i spoke to seemed pretty assured it would happen :aok:

paxtonhibby
07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Even if we gave them all the Bamba cash (cue loud thump as Rodders passes out) it would be good business.... 4 year deal in which time if he progresses there would be opportunity to sell 2.5/3 years in (cue Rodders coming round with twitching Tache)

Very good DTS,literally laughed out loud there:greengrin

Green Man
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't worry about him being cup-tied, we'll be out of it tomorrow anyway :duck:

Removed
07-01-2011, 11:31 AM
No, not this time!

Has he ever got anything right yet :greengrin

scoopyboy
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM

He didn't play against the Sheep because he was in France visiting his family.

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Has he ever got anything right yet :greengrin

Once. :agree:

Speedway
07-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Confirmed!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110105/hibs-kids-day_2262950_2259074

monteddie
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Keep the faith.

At the end of the day it has to come down to simple arithmitic, a team on the park competing will bring upwards 0f 14,500 for an average home game with full houses for old firm and Hearts carry on as we are and the average will fall to 9000 tops that equates to allot of missing bodies over a season, I am sure Rodders has been punching his calculator figuring out all the scenario’s……it really is a no brainer invest in team now and reep your dividend later.

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Confirmed!

What exactly do you see confirmed Speedway?

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Looks like they've deleted it.

Alfred E Newman
07-01-2011, 12:09 PM

That most of the squad have a sickness? Tell us something we don`t know.:greengrin

sleeping giant
Confirmed!

:rolleyes:

Ritchie
Looks like they've deleted it and replaced it with notification that they're having a Hibs Kids "day" on a Wednesday school-night.

that's rodders code for "Hibs after Caleys Rooney" :agree:

aberhibsfc
07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
This Hibs kids day thing got me thinking, if they really want to encourage youngsters to follow Hibs when they are older, they can have all the kids days they like. I am not too sure how attractive a team getting beat everyweek to a kid would be. It's likely to drive them elsewhere or onto their PS3's.

The best advertisement for garnering new, encouraging old back and retaining the current supporters is a competitive team. For that, we need to improve the player pool one way or another.

easty
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
At the end of the day it has to come down to simple arithmitic, a team on the park competing will bring upwards 0f 14,500 for an average home game with full houses for old firm and Hearts carry on as we are and the average will fall to 9000 tops that equates to allot of missing bodies over a season, I am sure Rodders has been punching his calculator figuring out all the scenario’s……it really is a no brainer invest in team now and reep your dividend later.

Plus there are going to be a couple (maybe 3 I'm not sure) teams going down next season if they change to a 10 team top-flight. Can we afford not to invest in the playing squad? If 3 were going down this year we'd be in trouble.

smurf
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Doubt this very much.

If any of us were 'up and coming' would you honestly view us as a good location to further your career?

Obviously we are biased. I would but not so sure I would advise a son of mine to come to ER....

Speedway
07-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Looks like they've deleted it.

:agree: not for the first time either.

The Hib Skid day.

That most of the squad have a sickness? Tell us something we don`t know.:greengrin

that's rodders code for "Hibs after Caleys Rooney" :agree:

Speedway
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Doubt this very much.

If any of us were 'up and coming' would you honestly view us as a good location to further your career?

Obviously we are biased. I would but not so sure I would advise a son of mine to come to ER....

Especially not with this board in charge, eh?

Removed
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
This Hibs kids day thing got me thinking, if they really want to encourage youngsters to follow Hibs when they are older, they can have all the kids days they like. I am not too sure how attractive a team getting beat everyweek to a kid would be. It's likely to drive them elsewhere or onto their PS3's.

The best advertisement for garnering new, encouraging old back and retaining the current supporters is a competitive team. For that, we need to improve the player pool one way or another.

:agree: my bairns have both got season tickets and it's getting harder each week to get them to go.

RickyS
07-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Confirmed!

don't do that:greengrin

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
:agree: not for the first time either.

The Hib Skid day.

:na na: - I therefore hope your next one is a hedgehog :greengrin

smurf
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Especially not with this board in charge, eh?

Well they've not exactly got us doing well.

Or are you suggesting otherwise?

Blame players, blame managers, coaching staff, even Gordon Marshall.... but just don't dare question our boardroom.....

Hibby Kay-Yay
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Blame players, blame managers, coaching staff, even Gordon Marshall.... but just don't dare question our boardroom.....

I was first in line to blame them for the CIS cup win :agree:

Speedway
07-01-2011, 01:39 PM

How could you question the board? After all they've done for us. You've never had it so good.

Just because they won't spend money to get the club into debt and go bust forever doesn't mean that they're not working hard round the club to put a successful side out on the pitch.

The strategic acquisition of ex-Aberdeen boss Colin Calderwood as manager is indeed a 'coup' and further strengthens the lure of the Hibernian brand. The club is now positioned for quarter 2 growth at it's flagship development at Easter Road.

I also happen to know that the board are pursuing Ex-Falkirk striker Sownumtini which shows that they also learn from their mistakes when they released him the first time back when Joan Collins was manager. Even when he allowed the clubstore staff to come to his house to complain about Collins he was acting in Hibs best interest. Williamson was out of the country. What else was he supposed to do?

You really need to learn your facts before you attack this board. Petrie may have goofed when he gave all that money to Mixu to spend on players like Zitelli at the height of the SKY tv money days but he's also got an eye for a bargain like when he acquired Webster from Arbroath and wouldn't pay them, putting over £30,000 back into our cashflow in the process.

Anyone wanting the board to spend more money and go bust can only be a yam. Petrie and his managing director Amanda Holden are the right guys to take this club forward. Beer in mind that he's also got Jamie Cureton as finance exec and High Fiveland on the commercial side and even a dinkus could see that we are the best run club in Europe.

But don't let the facts get in the way of another anti-bored rant eh, Smyrth?

Andy74
07-01-2011, 01:40 PM

It's absolutely right to question all concerned, but having done the questioning what are the answers?

I question the Board but what I've found as the answer is that even while ensuring we now have top class facilities for playing and training they have also fully backed whatever manager has been in place.

We always seem to pull out signings every window and they've included guys like Brown, Riordan, Murray, Stokes and Miller.

So, are the Board responsible for the quality of player we bring in and how they perform? Well, to an extent because they decide the budget but a look at the accounts tells me they have gone beyond what we cana ctually afford so no real fault there.

So it comes down, as it should, to the manager of the club doing the managing, and then of course it's also a sport and you get injuries, confidence issues, loss of form and the rest of it.

So yes, we can question the Board and I'm sure all of us have, we all maybe didn't share the answer you got but don't tell us we can't or we haven't.

aberhibsfc
07-01-2011, 01:48 PM
:thumbsup:
How could you question the board? After all they've done for us. You've never had it so good.

Just because they won't spend money to get the club into debt and go bust forever doesn't mean that they're not working hard round the club to put a successful side out on the pitch.

The strategic acquisition of ex-Aberdeen boss Colin Calderwood as manager is indeed a 'coup' and further strengthens the lure of the Hibernian brand. The club is now positioned for quarter 2 growth at it's flagship development at Easter Road.

I also happen to know that the board are pursuing Ex-Falkirk striker Sownumtini which shows that they also learn from their mistakes when they released him the first time back when Joan Collins was manager. Even when he allowed the clubstore staff to come to his house to complain about Collins he was acting in Hibs best interest. Williamson was out of the country. What else was he supposed to do?

You really need to learn your facts before you attack this board. Petrie may have goofed when he gave all that money to Mixu to spend on players like Zitelli at the height of the SKY tv money days but he's also got an eye for a bargain like when he acquired Webster from Arbroath and wouldn't pay them, putting over £30,000 back into our cashflow in the process.

Anyone wanting the board to spend more money and go bust can only be a yam. Petrie and his managing director Amanda Holden are the right guys to take this club forward. Beer in mind that he's also got Jamie Cureton as finance exec and High Fiveland on the commercial side and even a dinkus could see that we are the best run club in Europe.

EH6 Hibby
07-01-2011, 01:58 PM

You seem to question the board on a daily basis, and there's nothing wrong with that except that you don't ever seem to listen to the answers.

ahibby
07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I think Big Frank is right on this one and the board will if necessary get the cash they need to bring in who they and the manager believe are the right people (ability and cost). I hope they get their selection right because they will not continue to dig deeper if they don't get it right now and or in the summer. I don't mean we have one bite left at the cherry (although that's how my last probably reads) but you would hazard a guess that we must be approaching that, considering dropping attendances, poor tv money etc. Nothing like a bit of pressure is there? RP is dead against going to STF for a money boost even though STF has made it clear that if it were to make a significant difference then he would provide the cash for players. Staving of relegation might be the significant difference. It all depends on whether RP would go cap in hand again and the last I heard is that he would see that as a last resort, and whether the right players were available at a justifiable cost.

hfc rd
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I have heard both Hibs and Hearts have approached Inverness over Adam Rooney. I would love to see him at Easter Road but I think he will one day move on from Inverness and its unlikely his next destination will be us. I think he will go to the Englsih Championship or even League 1. We cannot compete with these teams with wages and I think he will be looking to prove himself down there as he has already done so up here with Inverness.

I'm_cabbaged
07-01-2011, 03:23 PM

:faf:

smurf
07-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Excellent. And funny. ;-)

aberhibsfc
07-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I have heard both Hibs and Hearts have approached Inverness over Adam Rooney. I would love to see him at Easter Road but I think he will one day move on from Inverness and its unlikely his next destination will be us. I think he will go to the Englsih Championship or even League 1. We cannot compete with these teams with wages and I think he will be looking to prove himself down there as he has already done so up here with Inverness.

Hearts in Hibs target shocker. No wonder they are paying extortionate wages down Tynecastle way. Hibs network source a player (ok Rooney's there for everyone to see in this instance), and Hearts are then quoted as having an interest. They don't need to fund a scouting network.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if they are genuinly always interested in the same players in ourselves, which makes me laugh because they are a big club but seem to be drinking from the same watering hole. Or, if they cannie see ***** and want it. I think hell will freeze over before we are quoted as being interested in a player without Hearts name being in the same sentence. Why do they have to go around smearing joby on everything! Why are they so frightened of us having something they've no. Is it their form of big teamism, following on from the performance of the OF tormenting competitions players.

Or, is it lazy journalism.

Kaiser1962
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree Frank. I have defended the actions of the Board over the years and I do believe that we are working to (some sort of) a plan.

Keep the faith.

smurf
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
You seem to question the board on a daily basis, and there's nothing wrong with that except that you don't ever seem to listen to the answers.

The answer is on the park.

It's now only RP, Stewart Milne, Dr (?!!) John Reid & The Hun DM/Lloyds puppet that wants the folly of a ten man SPL.

And our answer on the park is we would be BOTTOM today if we had what they 4 want.

So there is the real answer.

We are at the end of the day a FOOTBALLING organisation.

And the proof is our results and performances in the entire 2010 calendar year.

Nobody and nothing associated to our club should escape scrutiny of the embarrassment that it was.

And certainly not those at the top.

Andy74
07-01-2011, 03:53 PM

It's now only RP, Stewart Milne, Dr (?!!) John Reid & The Hun DM/Lloyds puppet that wants the folly of a ten man SPL.

And our answer on the park is we would be BOTTOM today if we had what they 4 want.

Nobody and nothing associated to our club should escape scrutiny of the embarrassment that it was.

You keep talking about scutinising and asking questions.

Have you done that or just bumping your gums?

If so is the blame for our current footballing position to be laid at the door of the board? If so, why specifically?

GreenPJ
07-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I agree Frank. I have defended the actions of the Board over the years and I do believe that we are working to (some sort of) a plan.

I hope you are right but I am starting to doubt the notion of a plan other than manage debt. When Williamson was here he was forced into playing youngsters as we had to make cost savings. Under Mowbray it was identified not only that we had some good youngsters but with the right set up (coaching etc) and facilities then youth would become the backbone of the team going forward.

That youth piece seems to have gone a bit quiet or alternatively we have appointed managers since JC who have not focussed on the youth as being the first port of call.

I hear that we have great players at under 15 level and some at under 17 but that is effectively 4 or 5 or 6 years away from first team . I know we can't have a great crop all the time but we appear to have lost something somewhere since the Brown's, Whittaker etc came on the scene. Teams like Motherwell and Dundee Utd (and I hate to say it but even the Old Firm and Hearts) appear to have more home grown youth pushing for first team places.

I hope that some of the lads returning from loan/injury may help plug that gap but it does appear, either through the actions of the managers that had been brought in or the lack of quality that the youth set-up has not been the evolutionary solution that we thought the club had been aiming for has stalled somewhat.

s.a.m
07-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Hearts in Hibs target shocker. No wonder they are paying extortionate wages down Tynecastle way. Hibs network source a player (ok Rooney's there for everyone to see in this instance), and Hearts are then quoted as having an interest. They don't need to fund a scouting network.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if they are genuinly always interested in the same players in ourselves, which makes me laugh because they are a big club but seem to be drinking from the same watering hole. Or, if they cannie see ***** and want it. I think hell will freeze over before we are quoted as being interested in a player without Hearts name being in the same sentence. Why do they have to go around smearing joby on everything! Why are they so frightened of us having something they've no. Is it their form of big teamism, following on from the performance of the OF tormenting competitions players.

Or, is it lazy journalism.

Actually, maybe it's (or could be:greengrin) a cunning plan to hasten their decline. Details are leaked of Hibs' audacious, high wage bid for some-footballer-or-other. Hearts pip us at the post. Again. And again. And again.

I think it's a go-er.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2011, 04:26 PM
No, not this time!

2 different slavers then, you must have some good nights oot when the 3 of you get together, or have they never met? :greengrin

smurf
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
You keep talking about scutinising and asking questions.

Have you done that or just bumping your gums?

If so is the blame for our current footballing position to be laid at the door of the board? If so, why specifically?

No they are not totally at fault.

However, are you seriously suggesting a football board should not at all in any shape or form be accountable for the performance of the football club?

CRAZYHIBBY
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM
ive heard from an even more reliable source that Rooney will not be signing for Hibs

Liam_Hibs
07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
ive heard from an even more reliable source that Rooney will not be signing for Hibs

Do you know Hibee87's source like? :greengrin

Beefster
07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
My source says that it's shepherd's pie for dinner. Yum yum.

Andy74
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM

However, are you seriously suggesting a football board should not at all in any shape or form be accountable for the performance of the football club?

You used the word club, in that sense they have delivered exceptionally well.

The team, there's only so much they can do on that front, are you suggesting that the tools haven't been provided?

That's where I'd disagree and a look at the accounts would confirm that.

EH6 Hibby
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM

RP is voting for the options that will (providing we are not relegated) ensure the most money for Hibernian FC, guaranteeing 4 games a season against Hearts and the Old Firm, and more television money. He is guilty imo in not listening to what the fans want in this instance but I can see why he is voting for it.

As for the results in 2010, I fail to see how that can be blamed on the board, this has been done a million times and you still don't seem to want to believe it. The board have backed every manager with money within our means to buy players, and on paper the players we have signed should mean we are not in the position that we are, I think there are many reasons we are in this position, I just don't think the board are one of them. The other thing usually shouted in the argument against the board is their habit of selling our best players, obviously in an ideal world we would hold onto all these players but until we can start paying the same money as the bigger clubs this is always going to happen, the board at least are making sure we get well compensated.

Springbank
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
RP is voting for the options that will (providing we are not relegated) ensure the most money for Hibernian FC, guaranteeing 4 games a season against Hearts and the Old Firm, and more television money. He is guilty imo in not listening to what the fans want in this instance but I can see why he is voting for it.

Trouble is, at our current level of spending we only guarantee ONE home game against each (depending on fixture list) as we are NOT good enough for the top 6 and you need to be there to guarantee your 4 games.

Speculate to, erm, what was it again...

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I have heard both Hibs and Hearts have approached Inverness over Adam Rooney.

shockeroonie(or rooney in this case), if hibs showed an interest in christian nade hertz would try and get him again :agree:, maybe we should start a rumour that we ARE after nade :cool2:

bingo70
07-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Trouble is, at our current level of spending we only guarantee ONE home game against each (depending on fixture list) as we are NOT good enough for the top 6 and you need to be there to guarantee your 4 games.

Spending doesn't guarantee you anything just ask Stevie Frail.

Our current level of spending is more than we can afford, hence big losses excluding player sales, which we won't have any more of for a while so to be speniding what we are is already gambling and speculating to accumulate.

EH6 Hibby
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm not sure if you have misunderstood me, your point is exactly why RP is voting for the change, which is the point I was trying to make. If we move to a 10 team SPL we will be Guaranteed two home games against each instead of one which the other options offer or a potential two under the status quo.

ancient hibee
07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure if you have misunderstood me, your point is exactly why RP is voting for the change, which is the point I was trying to make. If we move to a 10 team SPL we will be Guaranteed two home games against each instead of one which the other options offer or a potential two under the status quo.

If you're going to continue explaining things in such a logical manner you are liable to be banned.

hibee_nation
07-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Of course they are accountable, that is what AGM's are for. Just for once tell us where the board have gone wrong, and please try to resist the temptation to say spend money we have not got. The day we ever post profits of 2 mill without player sales you will have a point. Until then gies peace with all this pash about the board. Not many teams would want our players, managers picked those, but a lot of teams would have liked to be in our finicial position due to RP being a tight wad.

Ray_
07-01-2011, 06:25 PM
You used the word club, in that sense they have delivered exceptionally well.

The team, there's only so much they can do on that front, are you suggesting that the tools haven't been provided?

That's where I'd disagree and a look at the accounts would confirm that.

Andy, how on earth can you say they have done exceptionally well when the product is attracting fewer & fewer customers, every passing year & if they had provided the right tools, we wouldn't be in the position where we are now? No disrespect, but I'd certainly wouldn't want you running any business I was involved in.:greengrin

down the slope
07-01-2011, 06:30 PM

If we stay in the same league , if we are relegated and stay down for two years.........?.

hibee_nation
07-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Andy, how on earth can you say they have done exceptionally well when the product is attracting fewer & fewer customers, every passing year & if they had provided the right tools, we wouldn't be in the position where we are now? No disrespect, but I'd certainly wouldn't want you running any business I was involved in.:greengrin

The club have not done exceptionally well that's for sure. The board have done as well as they could with the money they brought in and gave as much as possible to the manager. The managers have not performed as the board would have hoped. The fault lies with the managers imo, unless someone can show the board wasted the money we brought in. Stadium redevelopment has been done to death but getting it done on the cheap when prices were rock bottom was totaly justified imo. We are pash just now that is for sure, CC better sort it in the next 2 transfer windows or we will be in free fall.

EH6 Hibby
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
If we stay in the same league , if we are relegated and stay down for two years.........?.

I'm not saying I agree with the Tache that a 10 team SPL is the way forward, I was just explaining to Smurf the reason that he was voting for it, from what I understand the changes will not take effect this season, and I assume Rod fancies our chances of surviving this season and that our current form is temporary which I would tend to agree with.

Andy74
07-01-2011, 07:10 PM

We've a completed top class stadium and training centre and we are averaging over 12,000 punters a game. Debt is at a minimum and the playing budget is being increased year on year.

This against a backdrop of clubs struggling and some going to the wall.

That's exceptional performance to me. This club is light years from where we were just a short time ago.

The managers have been given budgets that have allowed them to attract the riordans and millers and stokeses. Yes we should be doing a lot better on the park but there is little more the board could have done on that front.

I've yet to see an alternative to what the board could have done. With proper reference to the accounts.

Thankfully you won't get me running a business for you.

Septimus
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Defending the board is all very well but their financial acumen does not seem to equate a rubbish team on the park with a falling income.

ScottB
07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Unless people expect the Board to over rule the manager when he identifies players he wants for the team, what can be done?

Have the Board not backed Mixu and Hughes in the transfer market? How many players did the pair of them bring to the club? More than 20 I reckon. How much more cash should the Board have made available? Of the players they bought, how many were thought to universally be a bad idea? I remember many threads wanting us to sign Nish at the time for example. Has the Board not funded 'quality' acquisitions? Miller, Stokes, Riordan, Murray and co?

CropleyWasGod
07-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Defending the board is all very well but their financial acumen does not seem to equate a rubbish team on the park with a falling income.

From this angle it does. MP and JH both had a "rubbish team" and, yes, income was falling. The Board took steps to address that, by changing the manager. They did that, and backed the new manager within the financial limits that they have.

I don't see that they could do much more.

PaulSmith
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Unless people expect the Board to over rule the manager when he identifies players he wants for the team, what can be done?

Have the Board not backed Mixu and Hughes in the transfer market? How many players did the pair of them bring to the club? More than 20 I reckon. How much more cash should the Board have made available? Of the players they bought, how many were thought to universally be a bad idea? I remember many threads wanting us to sign Nish at the time for example. Has the Board not funded 'quality' acquisitions? Miller, Stokes, Riordan, Murray and co?

Depends on who the managers really thought would make a difference to the team, (did Mixu really get knocked back for Eremenko for £300k, Hughes wanted Kyle, Arfield and Barr but was the board wouldn't back him) did this force them into signings such as Keenan, Zarabi, Cregg et all.

I'll remind you that Miller didn't have a club when HE called Hughes, Stokes was a washed out alky on last chance saloon and Murray just wanted to come back to Hibs. Riordan, we'll never know how much money Celtic used to pay him off and again he wanted back at Easter Road.

It's certainly not as black and white as you suggest that's for sure.

ScottB
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Depends on who the managers really thought would make a difference to the team, (did Mixu really get knocked back for Eremenko for £300k, Hughes wanted Kyle, Arfield and Barr but was the board wouldn't back him) did this force them into signings such as Keenan, Zarabi, Cregg et all.

I'll remind you that Miller didn't have a club when HE called Hughes, Stokes was a washed out alky on last chance saloon and Murray just wanted to come back to Hibs. Riordan, we'll never know how much money Celtic used to pay him off and again he wanted back at Easter Road.

It's certainly not as black and white as you suggest that's for sure.

What, Kyle and Barr, who are on around £9k a week at the Yams? I'm bloody glad that Board decided not to 'back him' at that level of ridiculous money. Arfield went down South, again, presumably on money far outwith our wage structure.

Miller may have been clubless, but I bet he's one of, if not the top earner at the club, and presumably he and Stokes got chunky signing on fees for their trouble.

The Board has spent significant amounts of cash on new players over the last few years, lets not kid ourselves that we haven't spent a bean like some people seem to be suggesting.

PaulSmith
07-01-2011, 08:06 PM
What, Kyle and Barr, who are on around £9k a week at the Yams? I'm bloody glad that Board decided not to 'back him' at that level of ridiculous money. Arfield went down South, again, presumably on money far outwith our wage structure.

Miller may have been clubless, but I bet he's one of, if not the top earner at the club, and presumably he and Stokes got chunky signing on fees for their trouble.

The Board has spent significant amounts of cash on new players over the last few years, lets not kid ourselves that we haven't spent a bean like some people seem to be suggesting.

You don't seem too sure but do you?

Ray_
07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
We've a completed top class stadium and training centre and we are averaging over 12,000 punters a game. Debt is at a minimum and the playing budget is being increased year on year.

This against a backdrop of clubs struggling and some going to the wall.

That's exceptional performance to me. This club is light years from where we were just a short time ago.

The managers have been given budgets that have allowed them to attract the riordans and millers and stokeses. Yes we should be doing a lot better on the park but there is little more the board could have done on that front.

I've yet to see an alternative to what the board could have done. With proper reference to the accounts.

Thankfully you won't get me running a business for you.

Andy when I was in a position to employ staff & in my time, I've employed hundreds, managers included, I had to take the responsibility for the performance of the staff that was being hired, as well as the responsibility of their impact on the company.

The board sold assets to reduce debt, identified land at a bargain price and built the training complex and built a stand, again at an opportune time, good stuff, but they are very basic roles of any board and the least you should expect from one as well paid as Hibs one.

The football manager’s position at Hibs was, IMHO, is the most important position at the club; it is the football manager who has to dictate a successful style of play & identify the players to take the club on.

This is where the board have had to make the real decisions & they have failed miserably, the only good decision they made, TM and they didn’t back him, not as he wanted, to take the club on, this when we were exceeding all our expectations of tangible income and we have gone backwards ever since.

ScottB
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
You don't seem too sure but do you?

Well no, I don't have a handy copy of our wage budget individually broken down, but logic would suggest Miller to be on a fair whack no? And others who claim to know have said he is among the top earners at least.

As for Arfield, I would imagine the English club he went to is paying him more than we would have offered. £2k a week is peanuts for even League 1 sides, never mind Championship teams.

ScottB
07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Andy when I was in a position to employ staff & in my time, I've employed hundreds, managers included, I had to take the responsibility for the performance of the staff that was being hired, as well as the responsibility of their impact on the company.

The board sold assets to reduce debt, identified land at a bargain price and built the training complex and built a stand, again at an opportune time, good stuff, but they are very basic roles of any board and the least you should expect from one as well paid as Hibs one.

The football manager’s position at Hibs was, IMHO, is the most important position at the club; it is the football manager who has to dictate a successful style of play & identify the players to take the club on.

This is where the board have had to make the real decisions & they have failed miserably, the only good decision they made, TM and they didn’t back him, not as he wanted, to take the club on, this when we were exceeding all our expectations of tangible income and we have gone backwards ever since.

But then a football club is somewhat different, most companies don't have their customers clamouring for a say in who gets hired!

As I recall, popular opinion was firmly behind Collins, Mixu and Hughes leading up to their appointments. Collins in principle seemed a similar bet to Mowbray, and in many ways was a decent appointment till it all fell apart, Mixu was drummed out by the support, and has gone on to do well elsewhere, perhaps he was appointed too early, but do we know there was anybody better who wanted the job? Hughes, started well, faded badly and the Board took the decision to change.

Sure we can say, 'if only Mowbray had the budget that his successors have enjoyed' but then, at the time the club had much more debt, and Mowbray was no cert in the transfer market either, would a bigger budget for him have brought us more Sproules and Murphys or more Zibbys? In any case a better Mowbray side would still have all moved on, then we become reliant on the next bosses picks in the transfer market.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 08:16 PM

To be honest, where I work I've recruited people, and while I'm accountable for their performance so long as they've performed at a high enough level throughout the recruitment process, if they don't perform once their in the role my responsibility is to manage them up, or manage them out.

Recruitment to any job is far from an exact science. You can only go on as much information as you can reasonably gather. The key thing is to act appropriately if the employee under-performs.

The board have done that.

Iggy Pope
07-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Well no, I don't have a handy copy of our wage budget individually broken down, but logic would suggest Miller to be on a fair whack no? And others who claim to know have said he is among the top earners at least.

As for Arfield, I would imagine the English club he went to is paying him more than we would have offered. £2k a week is peanuts for even League 1 sides, never mind Championship teams.

Huddersfield was it? League 1. And you're right.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Great to see another thread go the way of so many others...

Only one man to blame - PETRIEEEEEE!!!!!:grr:

Ray_
07-01-2011, 08:22 PM
But then a football club is somewhat different, most companies don't have their customers clamouring for a say in who gets hired!

As I recall, popular opinion was firmly behind Collins, Mixu and Hughes leading up to their appointments. Collins in principle seemed a similar bet to Mowbray, and in many ways was a decent appointment till it all fell apart, Mixu was drummed out by the support, and has gone on to do well elsewhere, perhaps he was appointed too early, but do we know there was anybody better who wanted the job? Hughes, started well, faded badly and the Board took the decision to change.

Sure we can say, 'if only Mowbray had the budget that his successors have enjoyed' but then, at the time the club had much more debt, and Mowbray was no cert in the transfer market either, would a bigger budget for him have brought us more Sproules and Murphys or more Zibbys? In any case a better Mowbray side would still have all moved on, then we become reliant on the next bosses picks in the transfer market.

Popular opinion didn't interview, short list & interview again the managers you mentioned, the board did.

Mowbray's signings brought us more money in to the club, than cost us & that is in terms of wages and transfers, but that is excluding the record amounts in hospitality, through merchandising & match day etc.

Ray_
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
To be honest, where I work I've recruited people, and while I'm accountable for their performance so long as they've performed at a high enough level throughout the recruitment process, if they don't perform once their in the role my responsibility is to manage them up, or manage them out.

Recruitment to any job is far from an exact science. You can only go on as much information as you can reasonably gather. The key thing is to act appropriately if the employee under-performs.

The board have done that.

But Matty if your [or mine] record at recruiting was anywhere near as bad as Hibs board's has been, you or I would have been needing recruiting ourselves.

ScottB
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Popular opinion didn't interview, short list & interview again the managers you mentioned, the board did.

Mowbray's signings brought us more money in to the club, than cost us & that is in terms of wages and transfers, but that is excluding the record amounts in hospitality, through merchandising & match day etc.

Obviously not, but popular opinion presumably does play a role in the Board's thinking, at least since they hired the Blob... And again, how do we know that there was some other candidate who would have been better when we appointed any of the post Mowbray managers? It's all well and good people moaning we should have hired manager X or signed player Y, but you can only bring in who wants the job.

My point was just giving him more cash would not necessarily have meant better players, he too signed his fair share of duds and wasted years worth of cash on the single worst Goalkeeper I've ever seen.

just_joe
07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Would be a great signing ive said it for ages. OK I know hes a caley thistle player but the boy is an obvious talent. My mate whos a season ticket holder for caley said hes a stand out every match. I would certianly be making enquiries if was calderwood.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 08:50 PM
But Matty if your [or mine] record at recruiting was anywhere near as bad as Hibs board's has been, you or I would have been needing recruiting ourselves.

Mowbray - turned club around and brought crowds back
Collins - cup winner
Mixu - consecutive top 6 finishes and good derby record
Yogi - 4th place and Europe.

Don't think I'd be getting my jotters for that return, to be honest.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2011, 08:55 PM
shockeroonie(or rooney in this case), if hibs showed an interest in christian nade hertz would try and get him again :agree:, maybe we should start a rumour that we ARE after nade :cool2:

I can now exclusively reveal that Hibs number 1 target this window is Mickey Rooney, we are prepared to match the Yams £ for £ to the bitter end.

Iggy Pope
07-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Would be a great signing ive said it for ages. OK I know hes a caley thistle player but the boy is an obvious talent. My mate whos a season ticket holder for caley said hes a stand out every match. I would certianly be making enquiries if was calderwood.

Good man. Getting the thread on topic again :greengrin

erin go bragh
07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I can now exclusively reveal that Hibs number 1 target this window is Mickey Rooney, we are prepared to match the Yams £ for £ to the bitter end.
Would be a very good signing and with the cherry on top if they tramps are in for him .
GGTTH

AndyB_70
07-01-2011, 09:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Rooney
Someone has been quick playing with Wikipedia. :na na:

Leithenhibby
07-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Would be a very good signing and with the cherry on top if they tramps are in for him .
GGTTH

How sweet would that be .. :cool2:

Bostonhibby
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Rooney
Someone has been quick playing with Wikipedia. :na na:

Aw no, does this mean we won't be going for Mickey?

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Mowbray - turned club around and brought crowds back
Collins - cup winner
Mixu - consecutive top 6 finishes and good derby record
Yogi - 4th place and Europe.

Don't think I'd be getting my jotters for that return, to be honest.

All done while getting the debt down. Building a new training ground and stand. And giving each manager funds better than all but the obvious. I fail to see failure there?

ScottB
07-01-2011, 10:22 PM
All done while getting the debt down. Building a new training ground and stand. And giving each manager funds better than all but the obvious. I fail to see failure there?

Indeed.

At the end of the day, consistency is difficult in the SPL long term, ourselves, Hearts and Dundee United have all had 'poor seasons' every now and then and ended up in the Bottom 6.

Sure, it isn't ideal, and it isn't enjoyable, but I fail to see how it is motivation to break out the pitchforks and light some torches!

BroxburnHibee
07-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately some people can only see failure. Much easier to play the blame game than actually come up with positive solutions.

We're pish just now - no denying it however IMO slinging mud at the board at every opportunity will do nothing to fix it.

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Indeed.

At the end of the day, consistency is difficult in the SPL long term, ourselves, Hearts and Dundee United have all had 'poor seasons' every now and then and ended up in the Bottom 6.

Sure, it isn't ideal, and it isn't enjoyable, but I fail to see how it is motivation to break out the pitchforks and light some torches!

:agree: There were folk who couldn't enjoy a European qualification season last year, god knows how they are getting by now? :tee hee:

Iggy Pope
07-01-2011, 10:39 PM
:agree: There were folk who couldn't enjoy a European qualification season last year, god knows how they are getting by now? :tee hee:

And quite a number of them scatter about these boards still........

ScottB
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Short ropes and long drops I'd reckon! :wink:

Ray_
08-01-2011, 05:09 PM

You maybe say you don't see failure on this thread, but at one time you felt strong enough about it, that it made you stay away from watching your beloved Hibs & now you are saying that's not failure???

Driving passionate fans away from attending games is hitting the business more and more and if you substitute fans for customers, because that's what they are, that, in any industry, is failure, whatever you, Matt, Scott or Andy may say about it.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?201160-The-Hibs-faithfull-have-voted-with-their-feet-Enough-s-enough

GreenPJ
08-01-2011, 05:21 PM

You don't see failure but we have had 5 managers in 6 years. If that is not a sign of failure what is?