PDA

View Full Version : 'Transfer window' for managers

marleyhib
06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Was just reading an article about the managers in the premiership who's jobs are supposedly under threat: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9346616.stm.

What struck me is that 3/4 of those mentioned have been in their job for a very short time, Roy Hodgson at Liverpool, Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa and Avram Grant at West Ham.

Was thinking it may be sensible to have a "transfer window" for managers for clubs, where clubs have to stick with a manager for a certain amount of time unless they get fired for something like gross misconduct.

My thinking was that this would make boards think very carefully about who they appointed, stick with managers for a decent amount of time and if they were doing badly look at bringing in help/support to make them do better instead of just canning them. It would also mean that manager can't jump ship as soon as they do well for a season.

Might well be an unworkable idea but I would like to see more clubs giving managers a fair crack of the whip and boards being more accountable for who they appoint.

Goal, Archibald
06-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Something has to give. Clubs are scared of losing the pot of gold that is Premiership Football. It always amazes me that (for the most) its people who select and employ managers who really don't know the bigger picture of being a manager.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed that the Charlton manager has been sacked, the team is sitting A Okay in the play off spots :confused:

Andy74
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Interesting.

Hibs fans wanted a manager sacked who had us top 3 from August to February (was it later, we started losing in February but may have still been 3rd in March or so) due to poor results from February to May, 3 months. We finished 4th, better than our usual average and qualified for Europe.

Lets' not judge what the crazy owners in england or the fans expect!

If there was a window then there would have been the strange decision to sack a manager who had done well for 7 months and badly for 3 to 4.

Next chance would be now so maybe not a bad thing, we'd have seen if hughes could have done anyhting, as Calderwood certainly hasn't changed anyhting formation, tactics and results wise.

I guess one argument is that you need to plan for transfer windows in terms of players so not an ideal time just to bring a manager in.

Perhaps managers should just be there for the season. Regardless?