PDA

View Full Version : Benny Brazil's son's tale...

Hibernia Na Eir
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
In a preview to the Berwick v Celtic game this weekend, Benny Jnr and his paw seem to be getting their stories mixed up in The Current Bun today. He's quoted as saying Benny scored 3 vs Celtic in 84/85 season, a winter friendly (which he did) but also quoted as saying it happened at Parkhead (which it didnt). Says his dad keeps brining the story up.

You'd think Benny would remember it happened at ER and not at Celtic!

Hibs won 6-3 IIRC on a very cold day. Hibs even had bit steel about them back then!!

CropleyWasGod
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
him and his paw getting their stories mixed up in The Sun today. Quoted as saying Benny scored 3 vs Celtic in 84/85 season, a winter friendly (which he did) but also quoted as saying it happened at Parkhead (which it didnt). Says his dad keeps brining the story up.

Hibs won 6-3 IIRC on a very cold day.

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if Benny got mixed up. I often wondered if he'd put his boots on the wrong feet.

Hibernia Na Eir
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if Benny got mixed up. I often wondered if he'd put his boots on the wrong feet.

:thumbsup:

a much loved Hibee legend :agree:

TedSnedds
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I was there! Game at Parkhead was postponed due to a frozen pitch and with Hibs having undersoil heating at Easter Road, a friendly was arranged at short notice... If i remember correctly, his third was a penalty in to the old Cow Shed end - beautiful!!!

trev the hat
06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
What was the score ??? 6-3 ?? rings a bell.

H18SScottW
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I was there! Game at Parkhead was postponed due to a frozen pitch and with Hibs having undersoil heating at Easter Road, a friendly was arranged at short notice... If i remember correctly, his third was a penalty in to the old Cow Shed end - beautiful!!!

Me too :agree: In the old main stand enclosure :thumbsup:
And I'm sure you're correct about his hatrick completing peno :thumbsup:
Anybody know the teams that day?
Murdo and Mo Johnston played the game for Celtc IIRC.

nortonhibby
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM

i was there to you are in fact correct, Benny was a legend:flag:he had a lot off bottle, if there was a pen too take in the last min benny was always first to pitch in, un like others back then who hid.

We need more like Benny now:greengrin

NGH
06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I was there too. An unexpectedly good day.

Peevemor
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM

Ditto, just beside the tunnel.

smurf
07-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Jan 1985.

offshorehibby
07-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Remember it well, used to stand in the old north enclosure back in they days.

hibbybrian
07-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Hibs: Rough, Sneddon, Schaedler, Brazil, Rae, McNamara, Weir, Kane, Jamieson, Rice, Durie Subs: R Rae, Harris & Hunter

Celtic: Bonnar, McGrain, Reid, McClair, McAdam, MacLeod, Provan, P McStay, Johnston, Burns, McInally. Subs: Grant, Colqhoun, W McStay, O'Leary.

hibbill2002
07-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Eric Schaedler once told me that nobody could get the ball off Benny when they played 7 a side.

BT58
07-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey I was in there too
Didn't benny score all 3 in the first half
Then went back to his normal self in the 2nd half LOL
My memory ain't what it was,, soz
Benny was certainly a character!!!!
Jeez what a handsome chap he was,,,,,,,LOL

ano hibby
07-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Was there also in the cow shed. Benny scoring a hat-trick against the tic, not likely to forget that.:greengrin

Famous Fiver
07-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Was this not the match when John Blackley, who was manager at the time, missed the match because he was on a scouting mission, was told the score, and that Benny had scored a hat trick.

His response was ' Who for?'

brog
07-01-2011, 08:28 AM
i was there to you are in fact correct, Benny was a legend:flag:he had a lot off bottle, if there was a pen too take in the last min benny was always first to pitch in, un like others back then who hid.

I assume you're joking. I can't remember Benny scoring or even taking a penalty before this game & it's easy to score when it's your hat trick in a friendly!! Unfortunately this success encouraged Benny so when we had a penalty shoot out with Celtc a bit later he stepped forward & missed abjectly!! Fortunately Celtc had Pierce O'Leary :wink:
Actually one of my fav stats, Celtc scored 7 goals at ER in 2 cup ties in same season & lost both!! Magic! :agree:

iainm
07-01-2011, 08:39 AM
That 4-4 draw after extra time was one of the best matches I have been to at ER. When Benny missed his penalty I thought it was all over, but as you say thankfully they had Pierce O'Leary!!

Pity we went on to lose the final

Big Frank
07-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I assume you're joking. I can't remember Benny scoring or even taking a penalty before this game & it's easy to score when it's your hat trick in a friendly!! Unfortunately this success encouraged Benny so when we had a penalty shoot out with Celtc a bit later he stepped forward & missed abjectly!! Fortunately Celtc had Pierce O'Leary :wink:
Actually one of my fav stats, Celtc scored 7 goals at ER in 2 cup ties in same season & lost both!! Magic! :agree:

Was at both and both were magic!

Phil D. Rolls
07-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Are you sure this is right?

superfurryhibby
07-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Are you sure this is right?

Agreed, more of his type would see us going down.

I am wondering if this is the same Benny Brazil that I endured for many years during the eighties? Nae offence but Benny could never be described as a "legend". A stalwart maybe. The guy tried hard and played many games for us in a period where we were mostly gash. It says a lot about how mediocre we were that he played as much as he did.

Phil D. Rolls
07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Agreed, more of his type would see us going down.

I am wondering if this is the same Benny Brazil that I endured for many years during the eighties? Nae offence but Benny could never be described as a "legend". A stalwart maybe. The guy tried hard and played many games for us in a period where we were mostly gash. It says a lot about how mediocre we were that he played as much as he did.

Not the greatest player, but honest and brave. I was really questioning the point about Benny taking last minute penalties. IMO Benny got the pen in that game because he was on a hat trick.

TedSnedds
07-01-2011, 12:16 PM
He hit the penalty (no sure if all his goals were in the first half though) to his left, keepers right, into the middle side netting?! Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly positive!

heretoday
07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Benny was pretty awful but somehow it didn't matter. Football was fun, a laugh, a few beers and a pie supper.

Not the angst-ridden hate thing it is now.

weecounty hibby
07-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Benny was pretty awful but somehow it didn't matter. Football was fun, a laugh, a few beers and a pie supper.

Best post I have read on here in ages. Benny was awful but it didn't seem to matter as much back then.

I can only imagine how some of the posters on here would react if we had him in our team now!:brickwall:boo hoo::grr::fuming: Mostly this I expect.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Was in the same place at the end nearest Albion Rd / school to witness the footballing equivalent of Hayleys comet, say what you like about Benny, he did get stuck in.

darwenhibby
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
The Scottish Cup Game at ER 4-3 what a game mainly second half.
Did we go 3-2 up with 5 mins to go and Celtic get a penalty straight away.

Eddie May header right at the death:flag:

brog
07-01-2011, 04:59 PM
The Scottish Cup Game at ER 4-3 what a game mainly second half.
Did we go 3-2 up with 5 mins to go and Celtic get a penalty straight away.

Eddie May header right at the death:flag:

Yep! Think there were 3 goals in last 4 minutes! Superb header from Eddie as you say.

StevieC
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm sure Benny has at least one U21 cap to his name

:hmmm:

I'm_cabbaged
07-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Was a good player if he never had time to think about what he was going to do with the ball and never hid unlike some of the players we have now. :greengrin

Yep! Think there were 3 goals in last 4 minutes! Superb header from Eddie as you say.

It seemed to go in slow motion, Roy Aitken tripping over his own feet trying to clear it off the line. :thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
07-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Easily.

And signed by Eddie Turnbull , whose opinion still seems to count around here when it suits and selected by a number of managers afterwards.

Not near the worst and definitely amongst the most commited.

Iggy Pope
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Best post I have read on here in ages. Benny was awful but it didn't seem to matter as much back then.

I can only imagine how some of the posters on here would react if we had him in our team now!:brickwall:boo hoo::grr::fuming: Mostly this I expect.

Like the sentiment guys, but I disagree.
I remember people coming to blows in the Hibs Club after games during this golden age. Watching Hibs was purgatory.

Nothing much has changed other than the introduction of Sky TV, the internet and most of all fans forums where we can discuss ourselves into a righteous frenzy 24/7 rather than between 20 to 5 and the Pink News appearing.

Nakedmanoncrack
07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Hibs: Rough, Sneddon, Schaedler, Brazil, Rae, McNamara, Weir, Kane, Jamieson, Rice, Durie Subs: R Rae, Harris & Hunter

Celtic: Bonnar, McGrain, Reid, McClair, McAdam, MacLeod, Provan, P McStay, Johnston, Burns, McInally. Subs: Grant, Colqhoun, W McStay, O'Leary.

Looking at the names both look like reasonably teams, some decent players in our team, and a very strong Celtic line up, In reality this was very much a struggling Hibs team though.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Easily.

And signed by Eddie Turnbull , whose opinion still seems to count around here when it suits and selected by a number of managers afterwards.

Not near the worst and definitely amongst the most commited.

:agree: It was just that you didn't have to cast your mind back too far to remember some really good players, and with hindsight Benny was one of a number of players who might have been in their shadow. That said I remember having a laugh at some of his showings but it genuinely wasn't with the same intensity as seems to exist today, and he does have a wee place in Hibs folklore which many won't have once they expire.

erin go bragh
07-01-2011, 09:30 PM

I remember a game at easter road in the mid 80s and benny got wacked on the shin and as he was rolling about on the ground holding his shin a guy in the east shouted "brazil get up your playing them on side " benny replied with a very loud . **** OFF
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Bookkeeper
07-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I remember people coming to blows in the Hibs Club after games during this golden age. Watching Hibs was purgatory.

Nothing much has changed other than the introduction of Sky TV, the internet and most of all fans forums where we can discuss ourselves into a righteous frenzy 24/7 rather than between 20 to 5 and the Pink News appearing.

True. Was this no' the golden age when Gary Murray finished top scorer with 6 goals one season?

Phil D. Rolls
08-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Yes, but Ned was the manager of the U21s.

True. Was this no' the golden age when Gary Murray finished top scorer with 6 goals one season?

Gary Murray scored 6 goals in a season? :confused:

heretoday
08-01-2011, 01:52 PM

I would say everything has changed. We've got too much football for a start! Every breath the players make is analysed 24/7 on the net, sky sports or the press. Most of the information is ill-informed opinion and stuff we don't need to know in the first place.

Gimme the Pink any day! :aok:

James70
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I recall Benny getting a head injury during a game and reappearing with a large bandage wrapped around his head. The crowd started singing "Rambo Rambo" and the name stuck with him for some time. :greengrin

Franck Stanton
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
In a preview to the Berwick v Celtic game this weekend, Benny Jnr and his paw seem to be getting their stories mixed up in The Current Bun today. He's quoted as saying Benny scored 3 vs Celtic in 84/85 season, a winter friendly (which he did) but also quoted as saying it happened at Parkhead (which it didnt). Says his dad keeps brining the story up.

Hibs won 6-3 IIRC on a very cold day. Hibs even had bit steel about them back then!!

Game was definately at ER as we were the only team in the league to have undersoil heating at the time and weather was much the same as todays and all the league games were off. Also played friendly V Man U thereabouts as they wanted match practice.

hibbiedon
09-01-2011, 05:22 AM

I have been asked by Alan to post the following answer to the above and to the others who have posted negative remarks

For those so called hibs FANS. Maybe you should go back and read the article again and you will see neither my dad nor myself say that the hat trick he scored was at Parkhead or Easter Road. That was the journalist who said that..... You call yourself supporters ? well start supporting the team and stop going on like you yourself are the best players in world, you probably never even played the game before, yet you slag off players left right and centre.
Ps if you had more players with the same attidude as my dad did, then you wouldnt be in the situation you are in now!!!

Bostonhibby
09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I have been asked by Alan to post the following answer to the above and to the others who have posted negative remarks

For those so called hibs FANS. Maybe you should go back and read the article again and you will see neither my dad nor myself say that the hat trick he scored was at Parkhead or Easter Road. That was the journalist who said that..... You call yourself supporters ? well start supporting the team and stop going on like you yourself are the best players in world, you probably never even played the game before, yet you slag off players left right and centre.
Ps if you had more players with the same attidude as my dad did, then you wouldnt be in the situation you are in now!!!

Its apparent from this and other threads that many remember him in a more positive light, and certainly agree on the attitude point, I was one, having seen many games in that era