View Full Version : Jonathan Grounds

Winston Ingram
06-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Is he staying, going or gone already?

If he goes or is gone he won't be missed imo

OtterHibee
06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
His loan deal expires on the 29th.

Mowbray is on record (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/9328340.stm) saying he'll likely return to Middlesbrough after that.

Bostonhibby
06-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Mowbray is on record (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/9328340.stm) saying he'll likely return to Middlesbrough after that.

:thumbsup: Good old Mowbray, always has Hibs interests at heart, maybe he will come back and buy a few from us as well. :wink:

3pm
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I am not a fan of Grounds but to be fair he had a good game at the PBS. Had he shown the same desire and application over the last few weeks as he did on Saturday, he'd have done far better than he has.

Hibernia Na Eir
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM

:greengrin

good, there must be better out there...

DH1875
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM

There is, goes by the name of Callum Booth :thumbsup:.

jane_says
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I am not a fan of Grounds but to be fair he had a good game at the PBS. Had he shown the same desire and application over the last few weeks as he did on Saturday, he'd have done far better than he has.

Agree 100% with this, some behind me were still determined to have a go at him no matter what, but apart from getting sucked in for the goal thought he did pretty well.

down-the-slope
06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Hope he stays as we don't have enough options for LB and he is a decent player (people seem to forget he is young and still learning as well) who will get better...hopefully TM will sanction extention to end of the season.

Spoke to Jonathan and he had no idea as no one had spoken to him yet from the clubs

brydekirk
06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
:agree: no bottle, no commitment. GTF

down-the-slope
06-01-2011, 09:56 PM

First 4 headed clearances in derby from box were all from him...but i am sure you are skilled at over looking the facts

Mikey
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM

Mowbray wants to get him away from the Hibs "fans".

Sir David Gray
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM

I keep hearing people say that he's due to go back to Middlesbrough on the 29th. Has there actually been any official statement that this is when the loan ends as I haven't seen this anywhere, apart from several posts on here? :confused:

I'm not doubting that this is correct, by the way, I just wondered how so many people seem to know that he'll be away on the 29th as I seem to have missed this official announcement.

Albion Hibs
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM

Classic hibs net!

Grounds was built up as the next best thing before he played, a miles better player that Murray. Now he is crap and a young lad no one has ever seen play at this level is the next best thing.

Dear Callum,

Apologies in advance, in a few weeks you will be a villain and there will be miles better our there!

Dunbar Hibee
06-01-2011, 10:22 PM

How did you work that one out?

Winston Ingram
06-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Totally agree. I get the impression he thinks he's on holiday

Cameron1875
06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Agree 100% with this, some behind me were still determined to have a go at him no matter what, but apart from getting sucked in for the goal thought he did pretty well.

Apart from costing us the goal and thus the match he did well?:confused:

He is the worst left back since that Zarabi lad we had a few years ago.

MrSmith
06-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Mowbray wants to get him away from the Hibs "fans".

eh?? source! sorry, manners, source please.

ScottB
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Classic hibs net!

Grounds was built up as the next best thing before he played, a miles better player that Murray. Now he is crap and a young lad no one has ever seen play at this level is the next best thing.

Dear Callum,

Apologies in advance, in a few weeks you will be a villain and there will be miles better our there!

Too bloody true!

Ridiculous the pressure some quarters are ready to heap on to Booth, Byrne and other young guys lucky / unlucky enough to take to the field at the moment.

OtterHibee
06-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I keep hearing people say that he's due to go back to Middlesbrough on the 29th. Has there actually been any official statement that this is when the loan ends as I haven't seen this anywhere, apart from several posts on here? :confused:

I'm not doubting that this is correct, by the way, I just wondered how so many people seem to know that he'll be away on the 29th as I seem to have missed this official announcement.

Don't know if there's been an announcement made anywhere. I was given that date verbally about a month ago. The 29th was also mentioned in the ESPN commentary during Saturday's game IIRC.

Also, just noticed the below on 'Boro's official site (http://www.mfc.co.uk/articles/20110106/duo-return-after-successful-loans_70638_2259938):

Dfender Jonathan Grounds is another who could return soon after a long spell with Hibs.

"I've had a chat with Colin Calderwood and I think he'll be coming back pretty shortly," said Mowbray.

Think that's pretty conclusive.

For what it's worth, I don't think he's done especially poorly with us, albeit he hasn't exactly shone either. Comes across as a fairly decent chap though, and I wish him well.

BEEJ
06-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Apparently prefers playing CB to LB and played in the centre for us for the last 15 minutes at Rugby Park recently.

With Bamba now gone CC may opt to hold on to him to give cover at CB.

Greenblood70
06-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Not been impressed by Grounds and don't think there was any point in him being here.

Slow, poor distribtution and didn't look to me like he gave a flying ****. (not alone there mind you in this despicable Hibs team).

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-01-2011, 08:58 AM
IMO, Grounds is a bit like E v DG in that he hasn't turned out to be the player that I thought he would be. I didn't have any prior knowledge of the player[s] over than what was printed in the papers when he signed, but we continually hear about the quality of the Championship and the quality of the players. Then we see a player come up who is highly rated and doesn't quite cut it. I thought he had his best game against Hearts away, but that sort of performance hasn't been consistent. Although we are short of cover in that area, I would rather see one of our own players getting a game. Couldn't say it would be much better, but I doubt if it would be much worse. Reading previous comments, it is the first time I have seen that he likes to play in the middle? If that is true, why are we playing him out of position? Must be a Hibs thing.:rolleyes:

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Apart from costing us the goal and thus the match he did well?:confused:

He is the worst left back since that Zarabi lad we had a few years ago.

So the girlie challenge from Murray just past the half way line which allowed the played to skip away and get into a position to cross had nothing to do with it then :confused:

brydekirk
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
First 4 headed clearances in derby from box were all from him...but i am sure you are skilled at over looking the facts
one good start to a game, im not saying he cant play, just think he is soft and not fully committed

GreenPJ
07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't question his committment its his passing that makes him a poor player. Admittedly no one ever runs the channels for him but his passing is worse than woeful.

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
one good start to a game, im not saying he cant play, just think he is soft and not fully committed

I don't question his committment its his passing that makes him a poor player. Admittedly no one ever runs the channels for him but his passing is worse than woeful.

While i disagree with those thoughts - even if they were the case he is currently the best we have (Given Hanlon is required and the best option at left CH) So until we get better we need him beyond current loan

The Idea a number have that Booth who is still young and learning - playing in midfield - can slot in at LB with little other option is just fanciful

superfurryhibby
07-01-2011, 11:08 AM
So the girlie challenge from Murray just past the half way line which allowed the played to skip away and get into a position to cross had nothing to do with it then :confused:

Murray was due for getting sent of for his next foul and that may have influenced his committment in the tackle?

Grounds-Looks tidy enough on the ball. Appears to lack confidence, especially going forward. I have been disappointed overall by him.

Sir David Gray
07-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Don't know if there's been an announcement made anywhere. I was given that date verbally about a month ago. The 29th was also mentioned in the ESPN commentary during Saturday's game IIRC.

Also, just noticed the below on 'Boro's official site (http://www.mfc.co.uk/articles/20110106/duo-return-after-successful-loans_70638_2259938):

Think that's pretty conclusive.

For what it's worth, I don't think he's done especially poorly with us, albeit he hasn't exactly shone either. Comes across as a fairly decent chap though, and I wish him well.

Cheers for that. :aok:

I don't think he'll be much of a loss, although it does mean that we'll probably have to rely on Callum Booth at LB as we'll need Paul Hanlon at centre half, unless we get a couple of bodies in over the next few weeks.

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Murray was due for getting sent of for his next foul and that may have influenced his committment in the tackle?

Grounds-Looks tidy enough on the ball. Appears to lack confidence, especially going forward. I have been disappointed overall by him.

:faf: it was the 89th minute...

hibsbollah
07-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Grounds was good against motherwell and our best player in the derby (IMO), but has been very dodgy inbetween. One of those players that could go either way.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Dont think you can blame Murray or Thicot for that. Grounds should have been closer to his man, but without doubt Dickoh was at fault, was clear at the game and after that he was one minute going out to make a challange (which he should have done) and next he was backing off.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Apparently prefers playing CB to LB and played in the centre for us for the last 15 minutes at Rugby Park recently.

With Bamba now gone CC may opt to hold on to him to give cover at CB.

I would agree with that, I thought he looked decent when they moved him to CH and Murray to left back. From what I understand he played at CH for most of his loan at Norwich (?) and scored a few goals. Have never understood why we chose to leave him back for the vast majority of corners.

Craig_in_Prague
07-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Dont think you can blame Murray or Thicot for that. Grounds should have been closer to his man, but without doubt Dickoh was at fault, was clear at the game and after that he was one minute going out to make a challange (which he should have done) and next he was backing off.

i think that's the problem, right now we've way too many players making mistakes or not doing enough, hence why we're losing way too many goals. Each player needs to do more and take responsibility. It started with a throwing for us near their corner flag? says it all.

It's true we're also being harshly punished these days for any mistake, but if they continue with the improved fight they showed in the derby, with Duffy and Zouma back, we should start to improve results, as well as performances.

Speedway
07-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Grounds was good against motherwell and our best player in the derby (IMO), but has been very dodgy inbetween. One of those players that could go either way.

He likes Ladies and Gentlemen? I had no idea. Source?

Cropley10
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm sure when Callum both does play for Hibs, he'll be recognised for what he is a product of OUR youth set-up, an U-19 Double winner, and a guy with his future in front of him.

I'd expect him to be given the same support the rest of our youngsters have had at the same stage.

It's ridiculous the amount of people coming on here claiming he's going to get a hard time &/or isn't/can't be good enough, before he's even kicked a ball.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
i think that's the problem, right now we've way too many players making mistakes or not doing enough, hence why we're losing way too many goals. Each player needs to do more and take responsibility. It started with a throwing for us near their corner flag? says it all.

It's true we're also being harshly punished these days for any mistake, but if they continue with the improved fight they showed in the derby, with Duffy and Zouma
back, we should start to improve results, as well as performances.

I would agree that errors and a lack of focus has been costing us. Whilst our results have not been improving I think our performances have and a lot of the recent results are a little harsh. Our attacking players need to take more responsibility in getting us off to a start rather than the whole team trying to contain.

I would also agree with the throw in. Again the fact they moved up the pitch so quickly is disappointing, a full back or player in that position is not always going to stop the ball coming in, the best in the world dont, they need to make it difficult / ensure that unless it is a very good ball we are not in trouble. However, more important is those in the middle doing there job when it comes in. Full backs will get beat but they need to know that the CH / covering playing is going to do there job when asked.

superfurryhibby
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
:faf: it was the 89th minute...

I believe the goal was scored in the 86th minute.

A sending off would have had Murray receiving a ban and missing other vital games and I hardly think that it was needed at that point in the play.

hfc rd
07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I really hope he has went back to Boro. I really had high hopes for him when Yogi brought him in on loan but he has only showed that potential in 1-2 games and has gone missing for the next few. Not good enough and good riddance. I really hope Callum Booth grabs his chance as he is another who is being touted as a star of the future and after seeing him play a few games, I am really confident this guy can make the LB spot his own.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 01:44 PM

A sending off would have had Murray receiving a ban and missing other vital games and I hardly think that it was needed at that point in the play.

Thought Murray was awful at Tynecastle and IMO has been consistently poor this season. Fed up hearing the passion,commitment argument in his defence as it doesn't wash any more.

down-the-slope
07-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Thought Murray was awful at Tynecastle and IMO has been consistently poor this season. Fed up hearing the passion,commitment argument in his defence as it doesn't wash any more.

He didn't seem concerned about being sent off early in the game when he forearm smashed Black...at least a decent tackle risking a yellow at the end might have stopped play developing and teh eventual goal

Pretty Boy
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM

You're going to need this :tin hat:

Personally though i agree. He was decent at Ibrox and against Motherwell but has been average to poor the rest of the time. Not saying he's the only one far from it but he seems immune from the criticism the rest of the team get.

I'll give it 2 or 3 posts until someone mentions bringing 'bite' or 'fight' to the midfield.

As for Grounds no great loss but unless we can find better i'd be tempted to keep him as cover for either LB of CB.

ahibby
07-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I haven't noticed in all my time watching Hibs one player make as many mis-passes in one game as JG made against Aberdeen. Further in that game he looked content to hide. I think he can give more as seen when he actually started to try during the last fifteen minutes of that game. Unfortunately his loan period with us has in my view been disappointing. Needs to apply himself more.

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Double bonus, we might have scrapped a draw, and we'd have lost Murray hopefully for ever as a first team player at easter road.

superfurryhibby
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Double bonus, we might have scrapped a draw, and we'd have lost Murray hopefully for ever as a first team player at easter road.

And we would replaced him with...........Kevin McBride?

"He didn't seem concerned about being sent off early in the game when he forearm smashed Black...at least a decent tackle risking a yellow at the end might have stopped play developing and teh eventual go"

I agree that it was a stupid challenge, not sure about the extent of the contact but my feeling is that Black would have required hospitalisation had it made any serious connection. Maybe aye, but that was a judgement call and maybe he felt there were sufficient bodies covering for it not to be worthwhile-doesn't really matter now.

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
And we would replaced him with...........Kevin McBride?

"He didn't seem concerned about being sent off early in the game when he forearm smashed Black...at least a decent tackle risking a yellow at the end might have stopped play developing and teh eventual go"

I agree that it was a stupid challenge, not sure about the extent of the contact but my feeling is that Black would have required hospitalisation had it made any serious connection. Maybe aye, but that was a judgement call and maybe he felt there were sufficient bodies covering for it not to be worthwhile-doesn't really matter now.

I'm not fussed about the challenge on Black, in fact i wish it was harder. And yes i'd have McBride in before Murray, at least he has the basic skills of passing a football. He can also tackle, win the ball and keep it. He's not the best, but imo a far better option than Murray.

hibsbollah
07-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I haven't noticed in all my time watching Hibs one player make as many mis-passes in one game as JG made against Aberdeen. Further in that game he looked content to hide. I think he can give more as seen when he actually started to try during the last fifteen minutes of that game. Unfortunately his loan period with us has in my view been disappointing. Needs to apply himself more.

You're right, Grounds was unbelievably garbage in that Boxing day game. Only Hogg managed to be worse than him in what was truly a laurel n hardy-type performance minus the laughs. In fact, i'd go as far to say that game was one of our worst performances ive ever sat through.

Saying that, im undecided about grounds. he has ability, it just depends if he learns in time.

WindyMiller
07-01-2011, 05:33 PM
He's never really convinced me, although he's still in his first half season. I can't believe Mowbray wants him back, the Championship must a poorer league than I thought.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM

:greengrin TM might still have our interests at heart, remember when he went to WBA he gave us money for Shelton Martis:wink:

Judas Iscariot
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Played well in the Derby for 80mins then slept for Glen's sitter and made a **** of marking Kyle for their goal..

Basic stuff, should be dropped tomorrow :agree:

lyonhibs
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
With distribution so awful as to almost be comedic (much like all our defenders) and a near total lack of pace, he won't be missed IMO.

Bookkeeper
07-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm sure when Callum both does play for Hibs, he'll be recognised for what he is a product of OUR youth set-up, an U-19 Double winner, and a guy with his future in front of him.

I'd expect him to be given the same support the rest of our youngsters have had at the same stage.

It's ridiculous the amount of people coming on here claiming he's going to get a hard time &/or isn't/can't be good enough, before he's even kicked a ball.

:agree: Totally agree and I'm sure that will be the case.

Bayern Bru
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
You're right, Grounds was unbelievably garbage in that Boxing day game. Only Hogg managed to be worse than him in what was truly a laurel n hardy-type performance minus the laughs. In fact, i'd go as far to say that game was one of our worst performances ive ever sat through.

Saying that, im undecided about grounds. he has ability, it just depends if he learns in time.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't like slating Grounds because he clearly has ability (when he applies it) but there's times when he is posted missing or makes horrendous errors which often cost us.

I still think it might be worth holding onto him though.

lyonhibs
07-01-2011, 10:04 PM

:agree::agree:
That was my first game this season due to location. I've never seen a back 4 so thoroughly unable to either a) pass the ball to a team mate OR b) clear the ball with a bit on conviction.

Hogg was appalling, as was Grounds, with Hanlon not far behind.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 10:53 PM

You are clearly at the wind up or a complete clown. Murray won every ball at the edge of the box and broke up every thing that came near him. As for the rest of the season chat this compounds the fact you have not attended the games or go along and spend the afternoon looking at scores on your phone.

I am fed up hearing so called hibs fans getting stuck in to our most consistant and dedicated players.

You have no clue about football, end of story.

Mixu confirmed it, Yogi confirmed it and now Calderwood has confirmed it. Perhaps for once you should keep your yam negative views to yourself.

Put simple, three experienced professional players and managers have named him week in and week out. They know far more about football that some frustrated fan in Blackpool!

PS Blackfoolhibs if you watched the game at tynecastle you would not have wasted your time writing the above.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Albion Hibs;2681842]You are clearly at the wind up or a complete clown. Murray won every ball at the edge of the box and broke up every thing that came near him. As for the rest of the season chat this compounds the fact you have not attended the games or go along and spend the afternoon looking at scores on your phone.

I am fed up hearing so called hibs fans getting stuck in to our most consistant and dedicated players.

Here we go the Ian Murray is immune clown has arrived! Been to as many if not more games than you have this season so cut out the crap open your eyes at the games and and judge Murray on his performances not some misguided loyalty.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Here we go the Ian Murray is immune clown has arrived! Been to as many if not more games than you have this season so cut out the crap open your eyes at the games and and judge Murray on his performances not some misguided loyalty.

I do not think so.

As I said before Mixu, Yogi, and now Calderwood have him as a staple starting 11, they clearly know far more about football than you, I am sure you would agree with that??

Tell me which other players in our squad have featured as much as him since his suspension ended, other than Brown?

As you were at all of these games you will of course know!

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 11:26 PM
I do not think so.

As I said before Mixu, Yogi, and now Calderwood have him as a staple starting 11, they clearly know far more about football than you, I am sure you would agree with that??

Tell me which other players in our squad have featured as much as him since his suspension ended, other than Brown?

As you were at all of these games you will of course know!

H'mmmm Mixu, Yogi...................gone, Calderwood has had a great start eh and guess what they all have Murray as a staple starter even though his performances clearly don't merit it! They do though don't they!! You've answered my argument for me :na na:

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:37 PM
H'mmmm Mixu, Yogi...................gone, Calderwood has had a great start eh and guess what they all have Murray as a staple starter even though his performances clearly don't merit it! They do though don't they!! You've answered my argument for me :na na:

No clown town, you have no argument. A frustrated "fan" looking to have a go at a player.

My point was, and you seem to have missed it, that professional footballers, now managers rate Murray - regardless of whether or not they have been sacked they know far more about football than you ever will - unless of course you think watching soccer saturday or the match day thread on .net qualifies you.

PS you managed to miss both of my questions while you where looking for the funny face logo, let me break it down for you again;

1) Do Yogi, Mixu, and Calderwood know more about football than you?
2) Since available for selection how many of our team have featured as much as Murray?

For the avoidance of doubt, question 1 requires a yes / no answer, question 2 will probably require you to log on to the official hibs website to have a look at the squad, surname or squad number will do if you are struggling.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 11:51 PM
No clown town, you have no argument. A frustrated "fan" looking to have a good at a player.

My point was, and you seem to have missed it, that professional footballers, now managers rate Murray - regardless of whether or not they have been sacked they know far more about football than you ever will - unless of course you think watching soccer saturday or the match day thread on .net qualifies you.

PS you managed to miss both of my questions while you where looking for the funny face logo, let me break it down for you again;

2) Since available for selection how many of our team have featured as much as Murray?

For the avoidance of doubt, question 1 requires a yes / no answer, question 2 will probably require you to log on to the official hibs website to have a look at the squad, surname or squad number will do if you are struggling.

My god you really think you are some sort of super fan don't you! You started the replies with insults and keep going on with them like some sort of cretin. Who the **** do you think you are???? Are you Ian Murray's lover/wife/son/brother??

For the avoidance of doubt blah blah get a grip ya clown!

BroxburnHibee
07-01-2011, 11:53 PM
You are clearly at the wind up or a complete clown. Murray won every ball at the edge of the box and broke up every thing that came near him. As for the rest of the season chat this compounds the fact you have not attended the games or go along and spend the afternoon looking at scores on your phone.

Mixu confirmed it, Yogi confirmed it and now Calderwood has confirmed it. Perhaps for once you should keep your yam negative views to yourself.

Put simple, three experienced professional players and managers have named him week in and week out. They know far more about football that some frustrated fan in Blackpool!

PS Blackfoolhibs if you watched the game at tynecastle you would not have wasted your time writing the above.

[QUOTE=Albion Hibs;2681842]You are clearly at the wind up or a complete clown. Murray won every ball at the edge of the box and broke up every thing that came near him. As for the rest of the season chat this compounds the fact you have not attended the games or go along and spend the afternoon looking at scores on your phone.

No clown town, you have no argument. A frustrated "fan" looking to have a go at a player.

My god you really think you are some sort of super fan don't you! You started the replies with insults and keep going on with them like some sort of cretin. Who the **** do you think you are???? Are you Ian Murray's lover/wife/son/brother??

Guys.

Drop the insults or its bedtime for both of you.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2011, 11:56 PM

Aye, as I thought, still lacking the answer to my questions. No surprise there, why dont you just give up.

Quite ironic that you are getting all upset of the "insults" yet you feel quite happy to hammer hibs players JJ's little brother.

I will give you the opportunity to just give up on your pathetic rant, or answer the questions I asked per my first post.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;2681858]

Guys.

Fair enough rant over :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Aye, as I thought, still lacking the answer to my questions. No surprise there, why dont you just give up.

Quite ironic that you are getting all upset of the "insults" yet you feel quite happy to hammer hibs players JJ's little brother.

I will give you the opportunity to just give up on your pathetic rant, or answer the questions I asked per my first post.

Right let's put this straight, my opinion of which I'm entitled to which you don't agree. Not a pathetic rant just a probably over the top response to your insults which I have now forgotten :greengrin .Have to explain the JJ's little brother thing as I don't get it??? Cheers for now.

Cropley10
08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;2681858]

Guys.

Has he not had a warning yet? Odious troll. End of.

BEEJ
08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Back on topic ....

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs39-Jonathan-Ground-likely-to.6683870.jp

Looks like CC wants to hold on to him, according to this.

Albion Hibs
08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Back on topic ....

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs39-Jonathan-Ground-likely-to.6683870.jp

I think he would be a good signing, the benefit to him being here till the end of the season is I am sure the will be more interested in the final league position, rather than I am away to Edinburgh for a few months home in the new year.

I guess now it is up to Mowbray and the player.

J-C
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Back on topic ....

CC wants him purely because we need him right now as we only have young Booth there, having him on another 4-5 month loan would save him the hassle of looking elsewhere at this time.

truehibernian
08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
CC wants him purely because we need him right now as we only have young Booth there, having him on another 4-5 month loan would save him the hassle of looking elsewhere at this time.

100% correct.

IMHO I think Grounds is a poor poor full back. Fails to track runners, dithers and takes too long on the ball, and has not got the football brain to close down space, which I find startling given his pedigree and training.

Sad sad days if CC is pinning his hopes on keeping this young man at the club. Our full backs are very very weak and have been since Murphs and Whitty left the club.

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2011, 11:15 AM

:agree: Yes I think that may well be the case, my expectations of Grounds were wrongly based on the success of Murphy coming from a similar background/club sadly my expectations have not been met........................yet!

Cropley10
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I think he would be a good signing, the benefit to him being here till the end of the season is I am sure the will be more interested in the final league position, rather than I am away to Edinburgh for a few months home in the new year.

Bit of surprising comment this one... And from someone who claims to know so much about football too.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?196028-Grounds-back-to-Boro&p=2620263&viewfull=1#post2620263

If he's here to the end of the season, he can just walk away and won't care if we're playing Div 1 next year.

:hmmm:

Albion Hibs
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Bit of surprising comment this one... And from someone who claims to know so much about football too.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?196028-Grounds-back-to-Boro&p=2620263&viewfull=1#post2620263

If he's here to the end of the season, he can just walk away and won't care if we're playing Div 1 next year.

:hmmm:

I am sure we can all drag up posts from months ago, for the avoidance of doubt that post was from October.

I would note the following for your consideration;

1. The left backs I proposed, other than Murray, have shown that they are not as good an option as Grounds at Left back i.e. Hanlon and Stevenson.

2. Games such as Rangers away, Motherwell, St J, Kille and hertz away he played well / reasonable in – reasonable justification for keeping a player in all quarters, wouldn’t you agree?

You dont have all the answers on day one, but there is not real substitution to watching a player and giving him a chance.

You could of course revert to form and drop all current players as soon as we are linked with a player, hammer him as soon as we get him, then push him out the door because of the constant desire / attraction to something different.

Now off and play in the archives I am sure you have nothing else to do!

Cropley10
08-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I am sure we can all drag up posts from months ago, for the avoidance of doubt that post was from October.

1. The left backs I proposed, other than Murray, have shown that they are not as good an option as Grounds at Left back i.e. Hanlon and Stevenson.

2. Games such as Rangers away, Motherwell, St J, Kille and hertz away he played well / reasonable in – reasonable justification for keeping a player in all quarters, wouldn’t you agree?

You dont have all the answers on day one, but there is not real substitution to watching a player and giving him a chance.

You could of course revert to form and drop all current players as soon as we are linked with a player, hammer him as soon as we get him, then push him out the door because of the constant desire / attraction to something different.

You talk single fish and throw insults around all the time. You were at it again on this thread.

See the bit in bold.... you just made that up. In your world we don't change manager, chairman, players, whatever, certainly don't promote the youngsters.

I think Grounds is poor, nothing I've seen since has made me think otherwise.

You just make it up as you go along. Keep going. I'm watching.... always watching what you come up with next.

Now run along.

Littlest Hobo
08-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Grounds plays his football like he's just smoked ten joints in a row.....far too laid back to be a defender.

He was at fault for the goal at Tynie in my opinion. :rolleyes:

I'd rather we bring in one of the youth team guys and give them a chance.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2011, 08:06 PM

And CC again substituted Murray, who showed why he will be playing his football in the lower divisions very soon. Running as if on quicksand, later than virgin trains in the tackle, and couldnt pass water. A complete waste of a jersey again. Albeit with quite a few others. Go on, defend that display.

truehibernian
08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
To be fair the whole side looked slow other than Galbraith and Wotherspoon. There lies the problem IMO....pace all over the pitch.

Grounds wants too much time to control, look up, look up again, and pass. McBride and Miller were guilty of that too today. But that said, no one is showing for the ball, no one is really nipping about, pulling defenders apart, creating space. Up front we are static and waiting on the ball.......the amount of ball watching today was utterly criminal.

Thicot I thought looked a whole lot better midway through the second half (and at the end of the first) when he was confident enough to drive forward and take men on. Confidence is key.

But the play is laborious and slow at the back and they take an age to get the ball wide. We had Zemmama and Galbraith on the pitch first half but again seemed intent on playing narrow and into bodies.

Terrible showing today and it really doesn't bode well unless CC gets some fresh blood into the squad and maybe considers blooding Booth, Welsh and Byrne at some point.

Dr Jimmy
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Anyone understand why Grounds and Hanlon swapped positions during the 2nd half today?
I actually thought Grounds looked OK at centre half (although the game was all over the place by then), he played there for Norwich and got good reviews.

Heedersnvolleys
08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone understand why Grounds and Hanlon swapped positions during the 2nd half today?
I actually thought Grounds looked OK at centre half (although the game was all over the place by then), he played there for Norwich and got good reviews.

I agree but it just highlights to me the need for new full backs on both sides and how long have we being saying that??? Have to say also though that Hanlon looked ok there as well. But then again the should it was Div 2 FFS!

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
And CC again substituted Murray, who showed why he will be playing his football in the lower divisions very soon. Running as if on quicksand, later than virgin trains in the tackle, and couldnt pass water. A complete waste of a jersey again. Albeit with quite a few others. Go on, defend that display.

Hey, steady on Blackpool! Are you qualified enough to make these observations.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey, steady on Blackpool! Are you qualified enough to make these observations.:wink:

I will be put in my place soon no doubt. :wink:

Albion Hibs
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Well well well, there he is the biggest non hibs fan hibs fan.

Dont know why he was taken off at HT, someone next to me said he was carrying a bug, perhaps that had something to do with it.

I thought he was as good as any of them in the first half.

Just out of interest do you think we looked as good defensively in the second half? I am sure as you were at the game you will be able to answer this honestly.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Well well well, there he is the biggest non hibs fan hibs fan.

Dont know why he was taken off at HT, someone next to me said he was carrying a bug, perhaps that had something to do with it.
Carrying a bag of sand i think?
I thought he was as good as any of them in the first half.
You would.
Just out of interest do you think we looked as good defensively in the second half? I am sure as you were at the game you will be able to answer this honestly.

We kept the ball a lot better, and although not playin that well, played a lot better. 0953 train from Preston, a lovely carriage, and a nice journey made all the better with a lovely old lady from Sittingbourne next to me, telling me all about her family from Dundee.

Albion Hibs
08-01-2011, 09:28 PM
We kept the ball a lot better, and although not playin that well, played a lot better. 0953 train from Preston, a lovely carriage, and a nice journey made all the better with a lovely old lady from Sittingbourne next to me, telling me all about her family from Dundee.

Well you will of course not be surprised to hear that I am delighted you were on the verge of making your first ever friend!

However, you seem to have missed my question. Do you think we looked better defensively in the second half?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Well you will of course not be surprised to hear that I am delighted you were on the verge of making your first ever friend!

However, you seem to have missed my question. Do you think we looked better defensively in the second half?

I thought we were sheite from the 1st minute to the last. Marginally better when Murray went off. I missed the chance of making that 1st friend, in all the excitement of having someone to talk to, i forgot to exchange telephone numbers. She probably would have fobbed me off with a false one anyway. So near yet so far. :boo hoo:

Albion Hibs
09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I thought we were sheite from the 1st minute to the last. Marginally better when Murray went off. I missed the chance of making that 1st friend, in all the excitement of having someone to talk to, i forgot to exchange telephone numbers. She probably would have fobbed me off with a false one anyway. So near yet so far. :boo hoo:

You just have to get back on that horse, dont take it too hard!

If you think we were better defensively in the 2nd half thats fine, a lie but none the less fine!

I think we can agree that Ayr came into the game far, far more in the second. They created a few very good chances, I put that down to the change we made in personnel. I appreciate you will not share that view but if you think they had as much of the ball or created as many chances in the first half then I think you are kidding yourself.

GreenPJ
09-01-2011, 10:45 AM
If we are going to hold onto Grounds for the rest of the season I think we need to think of him at CH rather than LB. The problem is Dickoh is a raw Bamba so is prone to 8 mistakes a game rather than the Bamba 4 so he ideally would have Hanlon in there to help cover him.

Either way I think our biggest issues still lie in midfield and forward than defensively. I would rather CC spent any budget he had on these areas rather than defence.

sahib
09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

McBride for Murray was CC's bet substiution to date. We looked more in control of the game.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I have not read the thread, BUT

At this stage Grounds is NOT a left back and cannot defend this may improve (was okay against Hearts) but overall he is poor.

I would defo send him home and try someone else at this time Grounds is simply not good enough.

GreenPJ
09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
McBride for Murray was CC's bet substiution to date. We looked more in control of the game.

When McBride improves us then you know things are bad. He is so slow and takes far too long to play the ball so he will only compound our problem of lack of pace. You can maybe support a player like McBride if you had runners and drive around him but we don't so for me he is no improvement at all.

grunt
09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
If you think we were better defensively in the 2nd half thats fine, a lie but none the less fine! Really? A lie?

Albion Hibs
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Really? A lie?

I asked a question, rather than come back with a question I would be keen to hear your view on whether or not we were better defensively in the second half i.e. did our opponents have more of the ball, create more chances, come closer to scoring than they did in the first half?

coco22
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
grounds inability / unwillingness to stand up and be counted nearly cost us a last minute goal yesterday. he jogged towards the striker (maybe thats as fast as he can go) as last man then proceeded to back off and back off. too laid back and not enough desire...not the only one though

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Really? A lie?

Yes a lie, i do it a lot apparently.

Dr Jimmy
09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
grounds inability / unwillingness to stand up and be counted nearly cost us a last minute goal yesterday. he jogged towards the striker (maybe thats as fast as he can go) as last man then proceeded to back off and back off. too laid back and not enough desire...not the only one though

I thought he held the guy up well considering it was 1 v 1.

JimBHibees
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM

I agree thought it was horrific defending.

Cropley10
09-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Get Grounds out of here. Not interested, not good enough.

If we don't have players with more potential coming through then we're in deeper than I'd feared.

Littlest Hobo
09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Why do we even have to waste time talking about this...he's pish GHTF!:grr:

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM

So Murray at LB was noticed by an expert other than me as not being good enough which is why he doesn't play him there. Or is it because he is more valuable in midfield.:rolleyes: