PDA

View Full Version : Riordan a case for his defence

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 07:09 PM
On .net over the past 12months at least we have had lots of posts about players and why they are not very good, certainly in the eye of the OP. I myself have agreed with many but of late I have seen Riordan start to get his posts, if somebody thinks he isnt that good then thats fine, Im going to state my thoughts on him on what he does do.

Hibs are very poor just now we all know it, we lack quality in every area of the park and major work is going to be needed, however we have literally 1 or 2 players IMO whom are quality and do their job by and large.

Riordan is one of them for me as a forward/striker his first remit IMO is goals and creating goals he does both, not every week I dont expect him to or any player but by and large he does his job. Is he Lazy, yeah he is, do I wish he wasnt? yeah but he might score less if tracking back. His lazyness seems to be the common problem in peoples views. I am not condoning it but in football if you do certain aspects of your job well, other things you dont do can be forgotten. Is that fair? probably not but it is.

What should a player do in his given position, can a forward get away with being lazy? yes there are lots of them out there, can a defender be lazy? probaly not so but they can miss easy chances and shoot 30yds over the bar. I dont know what we are looking for in Riordan, he does what he is meant too and IMO very well.

If Riordan did the things he doesnt he simply wouldnt be at Hibs, we can easily buy a player that will work harder and win headers but what counts upfront? goals do and thats what he has in his locker about 100 of them and counting.

While Riordan does his basics we have a team with defenders who fail to defend, midfielders who fail to cover in defence others who fail to create, IMO there are over a dozen players who who fail to do the very basics of what is required and that is why we are in a dreadful position.

3 or 4 clean sheets in the whole of 2010 says to me Hibs need to score 2 to win a match, sometimes 2 to draw, the squad needs to be made smaller and with quality brought in. Last thing we need is to lose the 1 or 2 bits of quality we have.

Riordan can be frustrating but he has had me off my seat a hell of a lot, do you know what I find even more frustrating players whom dont even offer the basics of the role they are in on almost a weekly basis and at Hibs there are way too many of them.

Finally I would urge the board to do all they can to keep Riordan they may well be doing so but I do urge, I urge Riordan to give it another contract see if we can fulfil the aspirations of mine and the fans, we know money talks lets hope there is a little more to it. Stokes goals have been missed and he might have got us a few if still here to see us higher, we simply cannot lose Riordans contribution either.

Cmon Deeks get the 200th :hnet:

HibbyAndy
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Exactly what i was trying to say last night.

Excellently put.

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Exactly what i was trying to say last night.

Excellently put.

Cheers Andy it took me ****ing long enough :greengrin

500miles
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Derek Riordan is a great player.
From a subs bench.
Derek Riordan is a gamble over 90 minutes.

ancient hibee
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
From a subs bench.

Think I'll go and watch rubbish on TV as a change from reading it on here.

Seanair
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Riordan: Best goalscorer in the team
Best passer in the team
Best maker of goals for team-mates
Only one with any vision in the team

What's to discuss?:wink:

PS Remember Alex Miller spoiled Mickey Weir's attacking ability by wanting him to track back.

marleyhib
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Deek stands head and shoulders above any other player at Easter Road at the moment, its who is playing around him and giving him service that's the problem. We HAVE to keep him or we are rubber ducked - if we don't I really think it will the the last straw for quite a few fans.

Dr Jimmy
06-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Deek stands head and shoulders above any other player at Easter Road at the moment, its who is playing around him and giving him service that's the problem. We HAVE to keep him or we are rubber ducked - if we don't I really think it will the the last straw for quite a few fans.

That's it in a nutshell.....great post.

scott7_0(Prague)
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
From a subs bench.

A pint of what your having.

marinello59
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Think I'll start a Messi, case for the defence thread.:agree:

marleyhib
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
For all of you who are doubting Riordan who exactly are we going to replace him with?

We should be taking about how can CC get the right strike partner to work with him and bring out the best in him. We need to build a team around the few decent players we have and not get shot of them.

I am beginning to despair with a lot of the posters on this site.

GGTTH

Saorsa
06-01-2011, 07:52 PM
From a subs bench.
Derek Riordan is a gamble over 90 minutes.what a steaming pile of http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/turd4.gif

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
From a subs bench.

Whereas over 90mins most other players arent even good enough to be a gamble, straightforward p1sh most of them.

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Riordan: Best goalscorer in the team
Best passer in the team
Best maker of goals for team-mates
Only one with any vision in the team

What's to discuss?:wink:

PS Remember Alex Miller spoiled Mickey Weir's attacking ability by wanting him to track back.

As for his passing, one of the best passes in my time watching Hibs was his ball through to Killen for our 3rd at Ibrox in the SC. This is what I am saying about the basics, he is only one who can play through balls like that but unfortunatly he cant pass them to himself.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
It is quite scary to read on other threads that it might not be a bad thing were he to leave. Nae proper indication of where the goals would come from though except the odd Duffy looked not bad on Sat, the mind boggles!

Shrekko
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Riordan- probably my Hibs player of the decade.

However, this is starting to get boring.

The vast VAST majority of Hibs fans see what he brings to the table- well over 90 percent I'd guess. There's no need for all these passionate defences of him- if some people don't see it or don't like what they see.. so what?? I'm sure Deeks wouldn't lose sleep over a few people having a wee whinge and knows how important he is to most fans. I mean he's our most popular player by how much...? Miles!

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 08:22 PM

The vast VAST majority of Hibs fans see what he brings to the table- well over 90 percent I'd guess. There's no need for all these passionate defences of him- if some people don't see it or don't like what they see.. so what?? I'm sure Deeks wouldn't lose sleep over a few people having a wee whinge and knows how important he is to most fans. I mean he's our most popular player by how much...? Miles!

Indeed however there is not much to be positive about and most threads on players of which I am guilty are negative, this doesnt do any harm.

HibbyAndy
06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
It is quite scary to read on other threads that it might not be a bad thing were he to leave. Nae proper indication of where the goals would come from though except the odd Duffy looked not bad on Sat, the mind boggles!

:agree:

Mind boggles indeed, Duffy looks no bad is what people are saying, Thats frightning if we are pinning our hopes on him scoring goals based on one performance where he looked awrite.

Perspective
06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
It's equally boring that anyone who dares to questions 'Deeks' is abused or somehow regarded as less of a Hibee.

For the record I don't think the world will suddenly stop spinning when he leaves in the summer - which he'll do of his own free will for a second time. The first time he ran down his contract and ensured we got next to nothing from Celtic for his services. I don't especially mind that, as Ian Murray did likewise while we as a club treated decent servants like Paul Fenwick and John O'Neil badly at the other end of the scale.

Somehow we managed to win the CIS Cup in style without him. We won at Ibrox without in him in what must have been our best performance of the season. The likes of Conor Sammon, Adam Rooney, Nick Blackman have scored more goals than him in the League this season.

He is a wonderful natural talent but he's wasted that. If he hadn't he'd be playing at a higher level by now. People are quick to give him excuses but the fact is Gordon Strachan didn't sign him not to play him at Celtic.

Hopefully when he leaves CC will be able to forge a better, more balanced team who will work for each other and entertain us in equal measure. Not saying Riordan is solely responsible for the unprofessional working environment that has been tolerated for too long at Hibs, but he hasn't helped.

I await the usual 'I don't want to see him working hard or tackling people' line - even though it's good enough for the Barcelona players. Or the one that 'anyone can see he's working harder now'. He is, but he doesn't know how to do it properly and isn't fit enough to do so.

Will go down as a Hibs hero for the goals he has scored but he's nowhere near the calibre of a Stanton, Sauzee etc.

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
It's equally boring that anyone who dares to questions 'Deeks' is abused or somehow regarded as less of a Hibee.

For the record I don't think the world will suddenly stop spinning when he leaves in the summer - which he'll do of his own free will for a second time. The first time he ran down his contract and ensured we got next to nothing from Celtic for his services. I don't especially mind that, as Ian Murray did likewise while we as a club treated decent servants like Paul Fenwick and John O'Neil badly at the other end of the scale.

Somehow we managed to win the CIS Cup in style without him. We won at Ibrox without in him in what must have been our best performance of the season. The likes of Conor Sammon, Adam Rooney, Nick Blackman have scored more goals than him in the League this season.

He is a wonderful natural talent but he's wasted that. If he hadn't he'd be playing at a higher level by now. People are quick to give him excuses but the fact is Gordon Strachan didn't sign him not to play him at Celtic.

Hopefully when he leaves CC will be able to forge a better, more balanced team who will work for each other and entertain us in equal measure. Not saying Riordan is solely responsible for the unprofessional working environment that has been tolerated for too long at Hibs, but he hasn't helped.

I await the usual 'I don't want to see him working hard or tackling people' line - even though it's good enough for the Barcelona players. Or the one that 'anyone can see he's working harder now'. He is, but he doesn't know how to do it properly and isn't fit enough to do so.

Will go down as a Hibs hero for the goals he has scored but he's nowhere near the calibre of a Stanton, Sauzee etc.

I disagree with just about all of that, but I hope you dont feel I have done the part in bold.

clerriehibs
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
From a subs bench.

:taxi ... and not for Riordan.

Shrekko
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Indeed however there is not much to be positive about and most threads on players of which I am guilty are negative, this doesnt do any harm.

I appreciate that and also that Deeks along with Zemmama is our only current ray of hope it's just that as soon as a thread kicks off you can almost guarantee who'll be posting and what they'll be saying.

I wasn't meaning to have a go at you personally, I think my frustration is that it's so predictable in general on here these days. Everyones entitled to their opinions and yes I know we all have the choice not to read threads etc., but what I'm seeing is that a lot of peoples views are so firmly entrenched on topics that keep recurring that you feel like your just reading the same things all the time.

It's hard to change someone's opinion on a player and I don't think Deeks polarises the support anyway. I'd say 95/100 are delighted with what he's done.

Fifer
06-01-2011, 08:56 PM
As for his passing, one of the best passes in my time watching Hibs was his ball through to Killen for our 3rd at Ibrox in the SC. This is what I am saying about the basics, he is only one who can play through balls like that but unfortunatly he cant pass them to himself.

:thumbsup: At ***********, he put one on a plate for nish, with a perfect through ball. If only he could have been on the end of it. :not worth

Judas Iscariot
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
From a subs bench.

I've thought for a long time that you are a Hertz goon..

This is the clincher :agree:

:jamboak:

totalfootball
06-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Totally agree with this im a huge fan of deek but I do find it cringeworthy folk on here find it necessary to post about him almost every day! At the end of the day what happens will happen, as much as 95% of us would love him to stay unfortunately that aent gna get him to sign a new deal. TBH id be suprised if we domanage to keep him now but that doesnt stop me from hoping. Lets just see what happens this month and get behind the lot of them because dear God they badly need us!! GGTTH

Bad Martini
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
What's even mair cringeworthy is the folk who feel the need to post sheite aboot Riordan every day and tell us all how we DONT need him and thereafter, somehow arrive at Vulcan like logic to conclude that our problems stem from him scoring and creating goals.

You'll find, most debates (with the exception of this one) start from the other side of the fence i.e. somebody pitching up and telling us all how we don't need luxury players like Riordan...:agree:

The >>> :rules: state ; dae something positive and have the pish ripped oot ye :idea:

benrocky
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
From a subs bench.

:top marks

benrocky
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Riordan: Best goalscorer in the team = AGREE
Best passer in the team = DISAGREE
Best maker of goals for team-mates = DISAGREE
Only one with any vision in the team = YOU MEAN GO ALONE SHOOT ON SIGHT

What's to discuss?:wink: = A HELL OF A LOT

imo

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Totally agree with this im a huge fan of deek but I do find it cringeworthy folk on here find it necessary to post about him almost every day! At the end of the day what happens will happen, as much as 95% of us would love him to stay unfortunately that aent gna get him to sign a new deal. TBH id be suprised if we domanage to keep him now but that doesnt stop me from hoping. Lets just see what happens this month and get behind the lot of them because dear God they badly need us!! GGTTH

I didnt find in necessary, no posts on here are really, I am glad though you contributed to the thread and commented on the player, quite ironic you would find it cringeworthy yet continue to comment.

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
imo

On the ones you disagree with, whom would you place in there instead out of interest.

benrocky
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Correct on all accounts :top marks

Bad Martini
06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
On the ones you disagree with, whom would you place in there instead out of interest.

Why, that'd be the players who have set up the mass of goals we've bagged this season mate. Haven't you seen the plethora of goals we've had pouring in from all over the place, due to the passes and fine balls we've seen our playmakers create???

Bicrhist, it's almost Brazilian-esque at times. :cool2:

Kevvy1875
06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
:top marks

From a subs bench.

Based on what? All the games he has sat on the bench and came on and scored goals? Sorry....I can't remember any. Reason?....he dosn't sit on the bench...he starts and more often than not...scores.

Just say what you really mean and don't make bullsh*t up.

PC Stamp
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Somewhat helped by the fact we had able replacements in Messrs Fletcher & Benjelloun.

Do you see similar replacements for him this time around?

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Out of interest on SPL site in assists section from last 2 seasons only Riordan is our top on assists doesnt mean he set up most chances but it does mean he set up most goals over last 2 seasons.

totalfootball
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I didnt find in necessary, no posts on here are really, I am glad though you contributed to the thread and commented on the player, quite ironic you would find it cringeworthy yet continue to comment.

As always I gave my honest opinion and I did find your post slightly cringeworthy but thats not a direct dig at you its a number of posts surrounding deek that have said how much we need him,what he does for the team/doesnt do! for the record im camp Deek I think hes a fantastic player and a modern day Hibs legend I cant understand the grief he gets from the small minority and thats all it is btw. I just think its totally out of our control and hopefully we can keep him end of! lets all rally around the team though and if you can make saturday please go!

benrocky
Somewhat helped by the fact we had able replacements in Messrs Fletcher & Benjelloun.

You hit it on the head there are other team players who will do a job
as he said we managed without him

millarco

There is nobody in the current squad that can replace Riordan, and if he leaves now I'd be even more concerned about relegation than I am now. However if he leaves at the end of the season we should be able to bring in others to compensate, be it an individual player or by forming a more balanced team. He is undoubtedly one of our best players at the moment, but that doesn't say much at all. From what I've seen from our squad over the last year or so there is certainly nobody who is irreplaceable.

Seanair
06-01-2011, 09:56 PM

This WILL be interesting! :na na:

PC Stamp
06-01-2011, 10:06 PM
You hit it on the head there are other team players who will do a job
as he said we managed without him

Remind me of these other team players we presently have who can score goals such as Fletcher & Benjelloun were capable of?

benrocky
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
on the ones you disagree with, whom would you place in there instead out of interest.

best passer young wotherspoon
as for goal maker galbraith/wotherspoon

Kevvy1875
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Well done OP. Riordan is one of only a few at ER worth keeping and is certainly the one above all others who may be able to help us avoid relegation this season.

For the record...Deeks could stand in the middle of the park doing pirouettes with one finger up his backside for 89 mins...as long as he scores a goal in the other minute. Strikers play in the opposition half and score goals?...naw?

The one's who post negative pish about Deeks think they are clever and see what the rest of us can't. Well done genius's. I will personally save my energy for cheering all Deeks goals!

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Intersting and thanks, best passer is subjective so you may be right, however goalmaker according to SPL site Riordan has been our top assister for last 2 seasons.

benrocky
06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Remind me of these other team players we presently have who can score goals such as Fletcher & Benjelloun were capable of?

well we had 3 at ibrox and before you start all and any goals count yes

Kevvy1875
06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Take note kids, this is what happens when you smoke crack.

Moral of the story?.....DON'T SMOKE CRACK!!!

HibbyAndy
06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Take note kids, this is what happens when you smoke crack.

Moral of the story?.....DON'T SMOKE CRACK!!!

Hence why me individualy has chosen to ignore him.

Goal, Archibald
06-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Must admit to being slightly frustrated by Derek at times. I do feel he can give more on occasions, also think he looks as pissed off with things as they rest of us.

However....

He is far and away the most gifted player in our squad and would dread to think where we would be without this goals this term. It worth noting that he was isolated for large parts of the derby game and then came up with a piece of skill in a pass that could have won us the game.

IMO he will stay to the end of the season and leave. No inside info, just a feeling. Would be more than happy with that rather than taking 200k for him. He will score goals until the end of the season and make others. As I said, it really would be a more depressing season if you take the goals he has scored out.

Oh, that goal v Killie was a piece of genius.

PC Stamp
06-01-2011, 10:20 PM

I'd could go with that if they'd done it regularly before that game and since that game. Look at the scoring charts for this season. Where else have all these capable scorers chipped in? Rankin has scored how many since he arrived? Liam Miller how many?

And let's not get too carried away with one game. Whilst we were the best we've been all season, we were aided and abetted by Rangers poorest performance of the season.

Sorry, you'll need to try a touch harder to convince me that losing Riordan will do more good in the short term than harm.

Bad Martini
06-01-2011, 10:20 PM

I will take ANYONE and I mean ANYONE scoring against the huns. You will find NO arguments here, ever. :agree:

Unfortunately though, we canny play the huns week, much as beating them regularly would be very pleasurable and most vintage :greengrin

With the exception of Ibrox, the players who scored against Rangers didnt pitch up and score as many or set up as many, as Riordan, every other week. Those are facts which are proven based on the stats and the goals for column.

Albion Hibs
06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I think Riordan is a great player, scores some very good goals. But I cant remember him scoring us a winner this season. He was also completely absent during our best result so far this season. On the later I am not reading too much into it, unfortunately it would seem that a few too many raised their game that night to a level that they dont seem to be doing just now.

Perhaps him playing alongside a more well matched strike partner would produce better results, but I dont think that would increase his work rate, which is the one thing that lets him down. Working a little harder but perhaps moving into positions that would allow him to feature a little more would / be more involved, would take him up another level as a player.

Key would seem to be the view of the club, they have more ability in judging a player than we as fans do, if he has the ability and is as important as we think he is I am sure he will be offered a new deal, if he does not then that is maybe them giving their professional view.

For what it is worth I would certainly be offering him a new deal. I would suggest he is not a player that require a case to be made for his "defence" - here is hoping he does that himself this weekend.

justlikebrazil
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
John Robertson scores 214 goals in 512 games for the ****bos, an average of 1 goal every 2.39 games, and is treated by the Hearts fans as an all-time legend and even has a supporters suite at Tynecastle named after him. Derek Riordan scores 101 goals in 242 games, also an average of 1 goal every 2.39 games but yet I can't believe the stick he gets from so called Hibs fans on here. He is our only hope of goals to get us out of this dire position. For me, as a season ticket holder, Deeko is a f***ing legend!
GGTTH

Riordans Boots
06-01-2011, 11:05 PM
On .net over the past 12months at least we have had lots of posts about players and why they are not very good, certainly in the eye of the OP. I myself have agreed with many but of late I have seen Riordan start to get his posts, if somebody thinks he isnt that good then thats fine, Im going to state my thoughts on him on what he does do.

Hibs are very poor just now we all know it, we lack quality in every area of the park and major work is going to be needed, however we have literally 1 or 2 players IMO whom are quality and do their job by and large.

Riordan is one of them for me as a forward/striker his first remit IMO is goals and creating goals he does both, not every week I dont expect him to or any player but by and large he does his job. Is he Lazy, yeah he is, do I wish he wasnt? yeah but he might score less if tracking back. His lazyness seems to be the common problem in peoples views. I am not condoning it but in football if you do certain aspects of your job well, other things you dont do can be forgotten. Is that fair? probably not but it is.

What should a player do in his given position, can a forward get away with being lazy? yes there are lots of them out there, can a defender be lazy? probaly not so but they can miss easy chances and shoot 30yds over the bar. I dont know what we are looking for in Riordan, he does what he is meant too and IMO very well.

If Riordan did the things he doesnt he simply wouldnt be at Hibs, we can easily buy a player that will work harder and win headers but what counts upfront? goals do and thats what he has in his locker about 100 of them and counting.

While Riordan does his basics we have a team with defenders who fail to defend, midfielders who fail to cover in defence others who fail to create, IMO there are over a dozen players who who fail to do the very basics of what is required and that is why we are in a dreadful position.

3 or 4 clean sheets in the whole of 2010 says to me Hibs need to score 2 to win a match, sometimes 2 to draw, the squad needs to be made smaller and with quality brought in. Last thing we need is to lose the 1 or 2 bits of quality we have.

Riordan can be frustrating but he has had me off my seat a hell of a lot, do you know what I find even more frustrating players whom dont even offer the basics of the role they are in on almost a weekly basis and at Hibs there are way too many of them.

Finally I would urge the board to do all they can to keep Riordan they may well be doing so but I do urge, I urge Riordan to give it another contract see if we can fulfil the aspirations of mine and the fans, we know money talks lets hope there is a little more to it. Stokes goals have been missed and he might have got us a few if still here to see us higher, we simply cannot lose Riordans contribution either.

Cmon Deeks get the 200th :hnet:

Thank you :not worth :top marks

TPAKA
06-01-2011, 11:37 PM

Just for arguments sake, we had undoubtably a better team and squad when we won the CIS when Derek wasn't at ER than we have just now.

The latter in bold the 3 players you've highlighted are again arguably playing atm with better (certainly more in form players) than we currently have trying to supply Derek with goals & atm better teams. Also the players highlighted are having 1 good half season thus far. Derek is proven over several seasons now.

Thinking about it, there's no really an argument at all.

Oh & I'm not questioning your Hibbyness :greengrin

IWasThere2016
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Well said Carlsberg, and the good PC :agree:

silverhibee
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Stay away from the drugs, they are doing you no good, either that or its a:taxi for you.

silverhibee
06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Hence why me individualy has chosen to ignore him.

Is it that smell. :greengrin

Riordans Boots
06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Stay away from the drugs, they are doing you no good, either that or its a:taxi for you.

:agree:

silverhibee
06-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Just for arguments sake, we had undoubtably a better team and squad when we won the CIS when Derek wasn't at ER than we have just now.

The latter in bold the 3 players you've highlighted are again arguably playing atm with better (certainly more in form players) than we currently have trying to supply Derek with goals & atm better teams. Also the players highlighted are having 1 good half season thus far. Derek is proven over several seasons now.

Thinking about it, there's no really an argument at all.

Oh & I'm not questioning your Hibbyness :greengrin

:tee hee:

Toaods
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM

presumably when you say passer you mean of the hammer, spirit level and nails for the stanchions in front of the Famopus Five Stand as that's the only goals those pair can have made this season.

Captain Trips
07-01-2011, 12:48 AM

I dont understand the relevance of that in his ability, we won the cup while he wasnt at ER so I fail to see why that has any affect on him being our best player at the club at the moment. We had a team better than Kilmarnock that day and a good team in general.

We also won the cup without Messi, Drogba, Villa, Iniesta, Ibrahimovic, Forlan, Torres, Inzaghi, Fabregas, Gerrard, Xavi, Ronaldo, Eto'o, Milito etc etc etc.

Perspective
07-01-2011, 12:52 AM

In the current squad I feel Wotherspoon has more than enough potential to be the creative spark, if not goalscorer. But his confidence looks fragile, which isn't helped by senior players like Riordan getting on at him throughout. Seen him give the likes of Galbraith and Thicot similar barrackings when clearly neither are blessed with natural belief.

There are thousands of players all over the world who could score goals for Hibs. Just up to the scouting system to unearth them, or find a combination that complements each other. For example, plenty on here wrote off Kevin Kyle as a dud but if Hearts were to pair him with a Leigh Griffiths, with the wingers they have, they would score a barrel load.

As much as anything I want to see a bit of professionalism installed in the dressing room with players on an equal footing. There are players in there who do and have in the past resented that Riordan can behave how he likes in training through the week or in matches and still play regardless. If we're a club that sets itself up as one that aims to bring through great young talents, what kind of example is he setting?

Don't expect to sway any opinions and that's fine. His hangers-on are some of the people that have held him back in the game. I'll continue to cheer his goals and marvel at his talent like I always have but will support Hibs long after he leaves.

Perspective
07-01-2011, 12:55 AM
I dont understand the relevance of that in his ability, we won the cup while he wasnt at ER so I fail to see why that has any affect on him being our best player at the club at the moment. We had a team better than Kilmarnock that day and a good team in general.

We also won the cup without Messi, Drogba, Villa, Iniesta, Ibrahimovic, Forlan, Torres, Inzaghi, Fabregas, Gerrard, Xavi, Ronaldo, Eto'o, Milito etc etc etc.

The point is no player is irreplaceable, while some people are treating his imminent departure as Armageddon.

I'd rather have a good team in general than rely on one talisman. How often does it work where one team rely so heavily on one player, who is allowed to behave as he likes? Seems to be the case with Totti at Roma too.

Captain Trips
07-01-2011, 01:02 AM
The point is no player is irreplaceable, while some people are treating his imminent departure as Armageddon.

I'd rather have a good team in general than rely on one talisman. How often does it work where one team rely so heavily on one player, who is allowed to behave as he likes? Seems to be the case with Totti at Roma too.

They shouldnt rely on him and thats the point myself and others are making, We shouldnt be relying on him we should have other players who put in the performances and they dont, at the moment again IMO he is our best player and we are what 2nd bottom of the SPL so I would treat that pretty seriously the thought of his sale.

This isnt about pray at the feet of Riordan, this is about a post as I felt getting stick I thought I would bring in a positive, this is about the club bringing in players of quality so we are not relying on 1 player, the fact that we are seeming to rely on him is were the problems lie.

Its up to the board then and Cc to make sure we are not relying on 1 player.