PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Thicot

3pm
05-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Not heard too much about this fella after Saturday's game. I thought he was super up until the goal came down his side.

I don't mind him. The Jambos I've spoken to were impressed.

He's made a few rash decisions when he's played but wonder if he'd have improved had he got a run of games a bit more? He'll probably leave and I understand why, bit inconsistent like all his defensive pals.

Just thought he was worth a mention!

Cropley10
05-01-2011, 07:33 PM
He surprised me. Did well. You might be right...

Ferryhibby
05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah i posted about him few weeks ago and was shot down I thought he was great on sat kept templeton at bay and although hes not a right back he did well, personally think hes worth another shout with a run in the team

.Sean.
05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Started off a wee bit shaky but he did have a very good game :agree:

IWasThere2016
05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I like him - decent at RB, CH and DCM. Better than Hart, Hogg and Rankin in these respective positions IMHO.

Billy Whizz
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I like him - decent at RB, CH and DCM. Better than Hart, Hogg and Rankin in there respective positions IMHO.

I like him as well but never a right back or centre back. Could do a good job however in Ian Murray's role!

Leithenhibby
05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Got to say I'd have him in my team before Bamba.

Thought last time when we won (Deek Pen) Him and Ian Murray were immense :cool2:

Well worth another shot .... imho

simple
05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I also thought he had a really good game, was the only praise the jambo's at work gave me.

As another poster mentioned he's played in a few different positions, he really needs to make a position his own.

He's still only 23, so still got his best years a head of him. :thumbsup:

zlatan
05-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Has had more good games than bad for us imo.

PeterboroHibee
05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I like Thicot, think hes a decent player but always seems like he cant go a few games without doing something daft. Saying that hes never really had a proper run in the team so maybe thats part of the problem.

Jack
05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
He certainly has pedigree all he needs is the right chums around him to let him develop into the player that's obviously in there.
I'd like to see it at Hibs but I don't think the SPL is his style.

brydekirk
05-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I like him - decent at RB, CH and DCM. Better than Hart, Hogg and Rankin in these respective positions IMHO.
thought the same, but every time he makes a mistake it costs us a goal. I have watched him a good few times, and seems to lack concentration for the whole 90 mins. Would prefere him DM if anything, but still need better. IMO.

madabouthibs
05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I've always liked Thicot, but it seems one mistake, no matter how minor can really affect his confidence. A decent run in the team is very overdue though, we've fielded a hell of a lot worse than him this last year or so. :agree:

muirhousehibby
05-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I like Thicot, think hes a decent player but always seems like he cant go a few games without doing something daft. Saying that hes never really had a proper run in the team so maybe thats part of the problem.

I would like to see him having a decent run in the side and see what he's really like.

There's a interesting interview with him in the Scotsman today about him and bamba being best m8s and how he hopes to cement a place in the side.

Worth a read 4 pages worth lol

Sir David Gray
05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
He did well against Templeton in the derby but we need better than Steven Thicot, if we are going to progress as a club.

If he is going to be one of our regular starters, we will continue to be in the bottom six.

Twiglet
05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I like him. I was speaking to a Jambo at work today and they were impressed by him, thought he kept Templeton quiet. Yeah, he should have dealt with the bloke who put in the cross for the goal a bit better, but the blame can't lie with him and him alone. Grounds should have been on top of Kyle and Dickoh and Hanlon should have been supporting him.

As for him at RB, he's no RB, I think he admits that too. He's more effective in midfield, where he came on in the Motherwell game and, IMO, played really well for the short time he played.

I heard he's played in midfield in training, which comes more naturally to him. Get him in the right place and then he could do a job for us.

scottp1875
05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
always thought wasnt really good enough for us but he has now put in a couple of decent performances in the derby. having said that maka put in a couple of decent games in the derby too!!!

snooky
05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I like him. I was speaking to a Jambo at work today and they were impressed by him, thought he kept Templeton quiet. Yeah, he should have dealt with the bloke who put in the cross for the goal a bit better, but the blame can't lie with him and him alone. Grounds should have been on top of Kyle and Dickoh and Hanlon should have been supporting him.

As for him at RB, he's no RB, I think he admits that too. He's more effective in midfield, where he came on in the Motherwell game and, IMO, played really well for the short time he played.

I heard he's played in midfield in training, which comes more naturally to him. Get him in the right place and then he could do a job for us.

Don't mean this to be another spot of Nish-battering but, Thicot shied the ball to CN who promptly fell on his jaxy. A Hearts player stepped in and slotted it up the wing. Thicot was left hung out to dry. Not his fault, IMO.
IIRC, the other defenders had to move over one thus leaving the far post unguarded.

Ritchie
05-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Exactly, never understood why he's not rated by most.

I think he's an excellent player to have in the squad.

easty
05-01-2011, 08:49 PM
He did well against Templeton in the derby but we need better than Steven Thicot, if we are going to progress as a club.

If he is going to be one of our regular starters, we will continue to be in the bottom six.

:agree:

He's not good enough. Not good enough in the tackle, or on/off the ball. Templeton had a bad game by his recent standards, and while Thicot seemed to handle him well I wouldn't be giving him a new deal because of one decent game. His performances since he signed for us have been mostly poor.

Mark79
05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Think he is a good technical player but struggles a bit when it comes to pace. I'd try him at defensive midfield at least until we could see how he does when fully match fit. Obviously though not time to experiment just now.

Judas Iscariot
05-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Rated him from when I saw him as a trialist against Barca..

If he gets a run of starts he'll be a decent player for us!

Toaods
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM
He seems content as a squad player so I'd retain him if he elected to receive or remain on wages befitting that role.

J-C
05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I wonder if the change in management has help his confidence, I've always rated him, played at RB before but his pace always let him down when played there, hopefully get a new contract as he is only 23.

Sumner
05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
OK, I'll play Devil's Advocate, never rated him,
think he has poor concentration, caught too often
wrong side of his man, think St.Mirren away, and gives
away penalties, Muthas twice...

IMHO things are BAD when we are enthusing
over a player as ordinary & limited as Thicot :confused:

deek68
05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
He certainly looked a player in his debut albeit a charity/one sided affair. He's done not bad when we've seen him but think he cost us at St Mirren earlier this season and had one or two shaky moments at PBS.

As pointed out above, good squad player if he's happy with it, given that he's still relatively young...

RCNG
05-01-2011, 09:27 PM

He's not good enough. Not good enough in the tackle, or on/off the ball. Templeton had a bad game by his recent standards, and while Thicot seemed to handle him well I wouldn't be giving him a new deal because of one decent game. His performances since he signed for us have been mostly poor.

Why not turn this on its head and say it was because Thicot didn't let him have a good game?

IMO i think he played well and with regards to recent posts about when he makes mistakes it costs us. When defenders (especially not natural defenders) make mistakes it will generally cost you, and when you dont have good cover around you the chances of losing a goal are increased.

He's played well in midfield when he had protection round him, he is only 23 remember.

HibbyAndy
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Find myself agreeing with this.

easty
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Why not turn this on its head and say it was because Thicot didn't let him have a good game?

IMO i think he played well and with regards to recent posts about when he makes mistakes it costs us. When defenders (especially not natural defenders) make mistakes it will generally cost you, and when you dont have good cover around you the chances of losing a goal are increased.

He's played well in midfield when he had protection round him, he is only 23 remember.

Because that wasn't the case....why not turn Hibs form on it's head, we're no doing badly it's just that everyone else doing well.

So what that he's only 23, if you're good enough to play in the team I don't care what age you are.

I'd love him to prove me wrong and become a really good player for Hibs, I bet it doesn't happen though.

RIP
05-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Teams need a balance. Stick him in front of the defence with a midfield enforcer in alongside him (Sean Welsh) and we could play a 4-2-2-2 away

Brown
Spoony, Dickoh, Hanlon, Booth
Thicot, Welsh
Zemmama, Galbraith
Riordan, Duffy

eastmainsmsh
05-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Theres a player there just needs a run :agree:

discman
05-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Because that wasn't the case....why not turn Hibs form on it's head, we're no doing badly it's just that everyone else doing well.

So what that he's only 23, if you're good enough to play in the team I don't care what age you are.

I'd love him to prove me wrong and become a really good player for Hibs, I bet it doesn't happen though.

Recorded the game on Saturday,also watched it ! went back and watched it again tonight,some things stood out: given the first time the back four had played together they played really well,Dickoh and Hanlon were solid Thicot contained Templeton and when he switched wings Grounds held him up,these four plus Brown were good, ironically we lost the goal because we were pressing!!

Hearts are in great form and we could have nicked something off them,we play like that against lesser teams,tweak the midfield and stick Deeks and Duffy upfront and a)we'll score goals and b)hopefully concede fec all!

The problem is CC allowing players the oppertunity to jell together,never understood why the team that humped the hun were not given the oppertunity to play together, and anybody doubts the fitness and commitment of Liam Millar go back and watch this match again,would love to know the distance he covered,he was breaking up attacks into extra-time :greengrin

Cropley10
05-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Rated him from when I saw him as a trialist against Barca..

If he gets a run of starts he'll be a decent player for us!

:agree: so did I :greengrin:

Cropley10
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Recorded the game on Saturday,also watched it ! went back and watched it again tonight,some things stood out: given the first time the back four had played together they played really well,Dickoh and Hanlon were solid Thicot contained Templeton and when he switched wings Grounds held him up,these four plus Brown were good, ironically we lost the goal because we were pressing!!

Hearts are in great form and we could have nicked something off them,we play like that against lesser teams,tweak the midfield and stick Deeks and Duffy upfront and a)we'll score goals and b)hopefully concede fec all!

The problem is CC allowing players the oppertunity to jell together,never understood why the team that humped the hun were not given the oppertunity to play together, and anybody doubts the fitness and commitment of Liam Millar go back and watch this match again,would love to know the distance he covered,he was breaking up attacks into extra-time :greengrin

Great post. Really hope we keep Miller.

Golden Bear
06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
He doesn't seem to have many mediocre games. He's either very good or very poor but I still think there's a class act lurking in there somewhere.

Andy74
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
He doesn't seem to have many mediocre games. He's either very good or very poor but I still think there's a class act lurking in there somewhere.

There is. But, he seems a quite laid back and nice guy which together with his slower footballing style learned in France don't make him an ideal SPL player.

hibsbollah
06-01-2011, 09:30 AM

His natural position is CH or a holding midfielder. I've always liked him and his poor displays have been when he's been at right back.

number9dream
06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I'd also like to see Thicot given a run in a holding midfield role, alongside Murray or even Stevenson, although a new signing would not go amiss in this area.

Given our fragile state at present, two holding players in front of the defence is a must. It also gives the full-backs greater license to bomb on. (Wotherspoon/Hart & Grounds/Booth)

Just sit there, shield the defence, win the ball back with some aggression and give it to the nearest guy in a green shirt. Nice and simple.

Brown
Wotherspoon Dickoh Hanlon Booth
Thicot Stevenson
Zemmama Miller Riordan
Duffy

Expecting Rain
06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
As a previous poster pointed out, he and Murray were excellent at centre-back in the 1-0 victory at Tynecastle last season, his problem is his decision making and it has been very costly in the past, St Mirren away springs to mind and a needless penalty given against him in an unneccesary challenge at Easter Road, can`t remember the opposition.
At this moment beggars can`t be choosers and our best centre back seems to be Hanlon who is still learning the game, that is the dilema for Calderwood, does he play them together with a goalkeeper who personally i`m happy with but doesn`t always come for cross balls, maybe he`ll be forced to play Thicot, i`d rather see him at centre back than right back if that is the case, he certainly deserves a chance.

Ritchie
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
As a previous poster pointed out, he and Murray were excellent at centre-back in the 1-0 victory at Tynecastle last season, his problem is his decision making and it has been very costly in the past, St Mirren away springs to mind and a needless penalty given against him in an unneccesary challenge at Easter Road, can`t remember the opposition.
At this moment beggars can`t be choosers and our best centre back seems to be Hanlon who is still learning the game, that is the dilema for Calderwood, does he play them together with a goalkeeper who personally i`m happy with but doesn`t always come for cross balls, maybe he`ll be forced to play Thicot, i`d rather see him at centre back than right back if that is the case, he certainly deserves a chance.

did we beat them last season?? :confused:

(not saying we didnt, my memory is crap)

i know the last time we beat them was the Deek penalty game but i thought that was 2 seasons ago.

Golden Bear
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
There is. But, he seems a quite laid back and nice guy which together with his slower footballing style learned in France don't make him an ideal SPL player.

Unfortunately "the slower footballing style" is prevalent throughout the team.

:wink:

Pretty Boy
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I'd have Thicot in the midfield holding role ahead of Ian Murray every day of the week.

I now await the wrath of Albion Hibs.

Expecting Rain
06-01-2011, 10:44 AM

i know the last time we beat them was the Deek penalty game but i thought that was 2 seasons ago.

Sorry statso my memory is worse than i thought.:wink:

Ritchie
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Sorry statso my memory is worse than i thought.:wink:

:faf:

you had me racking my brains trying to remember the results from Tynie last year. :cool2:

Silky
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I think he'd be a good sweeper in a back 3/5??

discman
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Brown8

Thicot7 Dickoh7 Hanlon8 Grounds7

Albeit The Daily Record, however thats how they rated our back five,no complaints from me,the question is will CC keep that formation and give them an oppertunity to develop an understanding?

Given some of the posts suggesting pushing Thicot up to right midfield and slotting either Spoony or Hart at right back,Miller would be my choice as the link between the back four de Graaf and Murray in the middle of the mid field, Deeks had a shocker and looked miserable nothing went right for him,personally I would but him as far up field as he can get,dont expect him to tackle,dont expect him to track back,its not his game!

Opposition defences must love him being that far back,Deeks would worry them being that close to them,in the box is where he does his damage,play to that strength! Duffy will make the runs,Deeksthread passes and turn defenders insideout and hopefully have more oppertunities to score.

And maybe he'll start smiling again!! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 08:24 AM

:confused: No they haven't! He has had far more decent games for us than bad ones.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Great post. Really hope we keep Miller.

:agree: on both counts.

BSEJVT
07-01-2011, 09:13 AM
:confused: No they haven't! He has had far more decent games for us than bad ones.

Have we really fallen that far?

Thicot is an adequate stop gap centreback imo, no more.

Regularly exposed at right back.

Usage of ball so poor as to be inadequate for midfield

basehibby
07-01-2011, 09:20 AM

:agree: Seems like for every good game he's had he's had a shocker soon afterwards - which is probably why he's never had an extended run in the first team. Last chance saloon for him to put a bit of consistency together I think - hope he can manage it as I think there's a good player in there.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Have we really fallen that far?

Thicot is an adequate stop gap centreback imo, no more.

Regularly exposed at right back.

Usage of ball so poor as to be inadequate for midfield

Yes! If you haven't realised yet how far we've fallen it's about time you did.

Sir David Gray
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM

It came in May '09 at the end of the 08/09 season.

BSEJVT
07-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes! If you haven't realised yet how far we've fallen it's about time you did.

And judging by your view that he has had far more good games than bad you are presumably okay with that? IMO he is light years away from the quality we need to aspire to.

If even in our current awful state Steven Thicot is the answer then we are my friend worse screwed than either of us think!

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2011, 01:35 PM
And judging by your view that he has had far more good games than bad you are presumably okay with that? IMO he is light years away from the quality we need to aspire to.

If even in our current awful state Steven Thicot is the answer then we are my friend worse screwed than either of us think!

I think you misunderstood my appraisal of Thicot to the extreme! My comment related to the number of games I have seen him play for us and gave my opinion on his performances to date. Not sure where you get the impression that I think he is the answer to our awful current state as certainly our state is far beyond what one player alone can achieve! Given the consistent non performance of most of our team including the favourites that never get a mention, Thicot is the least of our worries.

lyonhibs
07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Find myself agreeing with this.

Likewise. Slower than a week in jail, positionally poor and prone to daft lunges. Also, like all our defenders, can't pass a ball more than 10 yards without ****ing it up. Though not the worst, and - assuming we're having a quiet January window - should only over get played in the centre, if needs must.

Cheerio in the summer - unless he gets his act together - for me :agree:

Bishop Hibee
07-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Players of his quality are the reason we're in the position we are. It's as simple as that.

Bookkeeper
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Definitely a player in there, but not at fullback. Think his best position would be in front of the back 4.

Bookkeeper
07-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Players of his quality are the reason we're in the position we are. It's as simple as that.

Not quite that simple. Players abilities are varied, some are at their peak, some on the way down, some would improve in the right company. Our problem imho is that we have reduced the quality level of the team/squad as a whole and there is not the good quality/experienced/old head types to bring on the youngsters or give stability to the 'improvers'. Again imho Thicot would be a good player in the right company. Sadly that probably isn't here at the moment.