PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Hibs make offer for Blackman

Speedway
05-01-2011, 12:45 PM
It says here:

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/The-Rumour-Mill-Wednesday39s-football.6679805.jp

3pm
05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Would be a good signing. Big, strong and above all, goals....

McSwanky
05-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I might as well say it before someone else does...

We'd be better off with Honor Blackman.

Ritchie
05-01-2011, 01:05 PM
he'll go to the sheep :agree:

CMac1988
05-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Doubt he'd choose Hibs over Aberdeen.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2011, 01:08 PM
We have lost out on Billy Mehmet, he's just signed for another Turkish side. :wink:

Hibee Daz
05-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, I think he'll hook up with pa Broon again at sheepsville.

cabbageandribs1875
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
i imagine hertz will show an interest in blackman now:yawn:

M11BMO
05-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Would be an excellent signing IMO. As said before, he will choose The Sheep over us.

Hibeesb0unc3
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
would be a great signing as it would bring us some much needed goals and maybe even someone to win the ball from our route 1 football:not worth but as already said he will join his old manager up at aberdeen

aberhibsfc
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Emotionally he will be tempted to Aberdeen and link up with Pa Broon. Financially Hibs are in a better position to afford a decent wage, again though it's down to how much either club want him. I don't think Aberdeen could afford to outpay us.

It beggers the questions, market demand will push up his wages but are we willing to pay it? If we did is he worth having him on a wage similar to our higher paid players?

Cropley10
05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Can't see him wanting to come here, not with Broon up the road.

Thing is we do have the Bamba money burning a hole, and Aberdeen are skinto (aren't they?)

HibbyAndy
05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
May not be a case of him heading up the road to join Broon, If Hibs offer more than Aberdeen he will come here id guess.Loyalty in football has all but evaporated.

Toaods
05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Pa Broon won't be the link, it will be Archie Knox who was youth coach at Blackburn.

libernian
05-01-2011, 02:39 PM
thot he was superb for well at easter road.

Littlest Hobo
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Reading between the lines I'd say we are very unlikely to be the ones to win his signature :rolleyes:

Push the ****in boat out Rod, we are in dire straights here ffs:brickwall

Could be the difference between first division football or SPL it's that serious.:rolleyes:

smurf
05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Can't see him wanting to come here, not with Broon up the road.

Thing is we do have the Bamba money burning a hole, and Aberdeen are skinto (aren't they?)

Maybe the Stokes money too?

M11BMO
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe the Stokes money too?

That's probably gone on Petrie's Christmas bonus.

Removed
05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
That's probably gone on Petrie's Christmas bonus.

Probably........because you just made that up to be clever :yawn:

Leishy1995
05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I know its hust a game, fm11 says his contract wi blackburn is up this year. hibs need him know though

RickyS
05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Reading between the lines I'd say we are very unlikely to be the ones to win his signature :rolleyes:

Push the ****in boat out Rod, we are in dire straights here ffs:brickwall

Could be the difference between first division football or SPL it's that serious.:rolleyes:

is he available on a free?

surely Edinburgh has to be more attractive to Aberdeen, unless of course he prefers his females to be wooly:greengrin

the reported fee of 500k for Goodwillie would not be the worst money we ever spent. we can dream I suppose

M11BMO
05-01-2011, 03:27 PM

Nothing clever about it. Just some sarcasm. :cool2:

aberhibsfc
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM

surely Edinburgh has to be more attractive to Aberdeen, unless of course he prefers his females to be wooly:greengrin

the reported fee of 500k for Goodwillie would not be the worst money we ever spent. we can dream I suppose

I'm with you on the joke front, practically though being in the central belt is always a massive advantage over Aberdeen. There's all the commuting involved for footballing duties. Obviously there's the Airport but he's not going to be using that everyday. It's why Aberdeen have traditionally had to pay that bit extra to get their players it's not that they are that financially better off and certainly less so these days. Aberdeen is a city, not a backwater but it is a fair distance from any other populace.

If he likes his toast he should come to ER. If he prefers being secluded in Aberdeen, commuting for hours and his sheep to be near PA Broon then good luck to him.

Leishy1995
05-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Yes he is, he can sign for anyone if Blackburn haven't gave him a contract, he'd be returning to train with Beckham and Ronaldinho.:rolleyes:

Andy74
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes he is, he can sign for anyone if Blackburn haven't gave him a contract, he'd be returning to train with Beckham and Ronaldinho.:rolleyes:

I thought it was just a loan and Blackburn have left it to him to decide where he wants to go.

I doubt he'll go to Aberdeen just for the manager or coaches he knows, football players largely couldn't care less about that.

just_joe
05-01-2011, 04:28 PM
I thought it was just a loan and Blackburn have left it to him to decide where he wants to go.

I doubt he'll go to Aberdeen just for the manager or coaches he knows, football players largely couldn't care less about that.

Agreed . It's a case of whoever offers him the most money and if im honest I can't see Petrie doing that. I know it can be good having a tight arse for a chairman but come on we are in a bad way here it's time to make some sacrifices? Or am I being too dramatic? :confused:

just_joe
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
P.S I hope Calderwood doesn't give petrie an ultimatum - he sacked me for that on FM :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
05-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Agreed . It's a case of whoever offers him the most money and if im honest I can't see Petrie doing that. I know it can be good having a tight arse for a chairman but come on we are in a bad way here it's time to make some sacrifices? Or am I being too dramatic? :confused:

If its a loan deal he will be on the same dosh irrespective because he will still be under the same contract with Blackburn. If Blackburn accept the various loan offers then its up to the player to choose which (if any) of the clubs he wants to go to.

Goal, Archibald
05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Pa Broon won't be the link, it will be Archie Knox who was youth coach at Blackburn.

Remember reading an article earlier in the season where Blackman bigged Knox up from his time at Blackburn.

This is exactly the type of player we should be looking at, its just unfortunate that there seems to be a trust relationship with Blackman and the new Sheep management.

I wonder what McGhee thinks when he see's this money Aberdeen are spending and he was assured the pot was empty.

:greengrin

Dr Jimmy
05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Would have to sign someone who could deliver crosses for him as well.

Toaods
05-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I wonder what McGhee thinks when he see's this money Aberdeen are spending and he was assured the pot was empty.

Aberdeen wising up and following the Petrie footsteps....:cool2:

Hibernia Na Eir
05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
whats even more interesting is that Aberdeen are in a worse cash situ than the Mothers. By far.

And Old Pa Broon said he left the Mothers due to lack of ambition (cash), so what should he expect at the Sheep People when they have none???

Tells you everything about Brown :agree:

We fat liar:agree:

Kaiser1962
05-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Aberdeen wising up and following the Petrie footsteps....:cool2:

Would you have let McGhee spend what little money you had left given his previous?:greengrin

Albion Hibs
05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Dont understand all the emotional / reuniting chat re Brown. Did they work together before his few months at Motherwell?

I dont believe it is going to be a case of us or Aberdeen, he is being released from a Premiership club and has done reasonably well up here, I would think he would be looking for a move to the championship were all of the clubs there will pay more than Hibs or Aberdeen.

If it was down to Aberdeen and Hibs I would think Hibs would provide a more attractive option.

erin go bragh
05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Dont understand all the emotional / reuniting chat re Brown. Did they work together before his few months at Motherwell?

I dont believe it is going to be a case of us or Aberdeen, he is being released from a Premiership club and has done reasonably well up here, I would think he would be looking for a move to the championship were all of the clubs there will pay more than Hibs or Aberdeen.

If it was down to Aberdeen and Hibs I would think Hibs would provide a more attractive option.
Dont think he is being released, pretty sure blackburn are giving him another contract[he would do us a turn but dont think we will get him tbh.
GGTTH

The Harp Awakes
06-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Doubt he'd choose Hibs over Aberdeen.

Well if he's any sense he would choose Hibs. Hibs have a bigger support than Aberdeen, have a better infrastrucutre, he would earn more money here (if you beileve Rod Petrie) and Edinburgh is a more attractive city than Aberdeen.

If he chooses all that and still wants to be with Pa Broon then he's a muppet and we don't need him:na na:

Leishy1995
06-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Blackman is on loan at Motherwell, not sure when it ends, but his contract is up in the Summer I think.

Does anybody rate Lambert from Southampton, 45 games in league 1 30 goals last year, not a rumour just me punting a name for consideration.

BigKev
06-01-2011, 01:54 AM
He's off to Aberdeen to rejoin Paw Broon

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/221442/Blackman-opts-to-rejoin-Brown-at-Aberdeen-?

Toaods
06-01-2011, 02:08 AM
so we made an offer.....clearly says it was rejected.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Does anybody rate Lambert from Southampton, 45 games in league 1 30 goals last year, not a rumour just me punting a name for consideration.

Good player, we couldnae afford him tho.

Jim44
06-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Blackman -

so we made an offer.....clearly says it was rejected.
Lambert -

God forbid that this is going to be the story of Hibs transfer window. Imagine if we were relegated because we couldn't afford the quality of player who could save us? Petriie unfortunately won't give any slack.

Hibs7
06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Blackman -

Lambert -

God forbid that this is going to be the story of Hibs transfer window. Imagine if we were relegated because we couldn't afford the quality of player who could save us? Petriie unfortunately won't give any slack.

Aberdeen doing the right thing in bringing in players who will help keep them in the SPL, Hibs meanwhile won't open the purse, dangerous game to play in our position.

marinello59
06-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Aberdeen doing the right thing in bringing in players who will help keep them in the SPL, Hibs meanwhile won't open the purse, dangerous game to play in our position.

Do we know that is why he went to Aberdeen rather than Hibs? It's a loan deal isn't it?

PaulSmith
06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Do we know that is why he went to Aberdeen rather than Hibs? It's a loan deal isn't it?

It's probably just one of those "stumbling blocks" that come along during the Hibs transfer window.

brog
06-01-2011, 09:56 AM

As you say, it's only a loan, he's signing a contract with B'burn. Personally, after seeing him against Yams/Huns I don't think he's any great loss.

Last Minute
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
As you say, it's only a loan, he's signing a contract with B'burn. Personally, after seeing him against Yams/Huns I don't think he's any great loss.

I thought you could not play for 3 clubs in one Season ? that's why we can't get Ivan back said calderwood :confused:

Andy74
06-01-2011, 10:15 AM

It's a loan. Money won't have been the factor.

M11BMO
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I thought you could not play for 3 clubs in one Season ? that's why we can't get Ivan back said calderwood :confused:

Has he not only played for Motherwell this season?

Hibeesb0unc3
06-01-2011, 11:43 AM
blackman has only played for motherwell so far this season as blackburn loaned him out before he had a chance to play a game for them this season.

CMac1988
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Well if he's any sense he would choose Hibs. Hibs have a bigger support than Aberdeen, have a better infrastrucutre, he would earn more money here (if you beileve Rod Petrie) and Edinburgh is a more attractive city than Aberdeen.

If he chooses all that and still wants to be with Pa Broon then he's a muppet and we don't need him:na na:

Clearly no sense! :wink:

Cropley10
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
So we can't/won't afford to pay more than Eberdeen? I thought they were up their ears in debt?

Poor old Calderwood having to trot out the line about how difficult it is to sign players even on loan and Pa Broon 'snaps' the player up in around 24 hours...:rolleyes:

Golden Bear
06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Simple question - has this guy actually signed for Aberdeen ?

Cropley10
06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Simple question - has this guy actually signed for Aberdeen ?

Yes.

"Aberdeen win race for Blackman
Aberdeen have beaten off Motherwell and Hibernian to land Blackburn Rovers striker Nick Blackman on loan for the rest of the season. Blackman had a successful loan spell at Motherwell under current Dons manager Craig Brown and is keen on a reunion with his former gaffer. Brown is also hoping to lure striker Alan Gow from his former club. (Daily Express)"

Pretty Boy
06-01-2011, 12:28 PM
So we can't/won't afford to pay more than Eberdeen? I thought they were up their ears in debt?
Poor old Calderwood having to trot out the line about how difficult it is to sign players even on loan and Pa Broon 'snaps' the player up in around 24 hours...:rolleyes:

It's got nothing to do with whether Hibs can pay more than Aberdeen. He is signing a new contract at Blackburn but going on loan to Aberdeen therefore Blackburn will be paying the lions share of hs wage.

Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? This has nothing to do with money.

Golden Bear
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes.

"Aberdeen win race for Blackman
Aberdeen have beaten off Motherwell and Hibernian to land Blackburn Rovers striker Nick Blackman on loan for the rest of the season. Blackman had a successful loan spell at Motherwell under current Dons manager Craig Brown and is keen on a reunion with his former gaffer. Brown is also hoping to lure striker Alan Gow from his former club. (Daily Express)"

Thanks.

And the reason I asked:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9339224.stm

johnrebus
06-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I think that Blackman has signed for Craig Brown, rather than Aberdeen, so I don't feel it refects badly on Hibernian.

Would be pretty upset if I was a 'Well fan tho..........,

:cool2:

steakbake
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I think that Blackman has signed for Craig Brown, rather than Aberdeen, so I don't feel it refects badly on Hibernian.

Would be pretty upset if I was a 'Well fan tho..........,

:cool2:

Exactly. Petrie could splash all the cash he likes, but sometimes there are other factors.

Like with Goodwillie - before Rangers came steaming in with their 2mil offer - 500k from Swansea sounded like something we might compete with if we were being "ambitious" and free with the money. However, the point is the wages, the prestige of the club, the possibilities of playing in the Premiership next year (or Champions League with Rangers) etc. While we could stump up some cash, it's not realistic to think that we can attract players unless they are looking for a shop window or a step up.

Thus is football.

aberhibsfc
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
It's got nothing to do with whether Hibs can pay more than Aberdeen. He is signing a new contract at Blackburn but going on loan to Aberdeen therefore Blackburn will be paying the lions share of hs wage.

Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? This has nothing to do with money.

Probably because people believe this deal was going to be a bona fide permanent signing as opposed to a loan signing. Now it's in the public domain and on the surface seems to be another loan deal, you can't blame him for following Broon to Aberdeen. Blackman has obviously benefited from working with Broon and the possibility of carrying on that development he has opted for the Dons. There was no point in him turning that opportunity down to go and work within an untried relationship.

Lets also face the fact that players will not likely be jumping at the chance to come to Hibs just now. The footballing community will be well aware of our current predicament and there won't be too many that want to jump into our teams shoes with the upcoming battle to stay in the Division. Also the uncertainty of players futures and the fact that at present the new incumbent will be under sevre pressure to turn things around. If he doesn't, god forbid, we will continue on this downward spiral of 'transition period' where no-one's furure is completely secured.

The only players that will be willing to take it on are lower division or lower paid players whom are not being courted by bigger fish.

Someone also pointed out that clubs down south may not be as keen to loan players to the SPL, instead loaning them to the Championship for the level of competition. As has been pointed out the Championship is the 4th richest league on the planet so they can afford to be choosey and youngsters may not nessecarily get a game to build their development upon. The thing that may go against Hibs securing the services of EPL hot prospects is the current situation we find ourselves in. There will be few managers whom would like their youngsters to be put in such a pressured environment of a team battling relegation and who's own squad seem to the mental strength to dig themselves out. It's a lot of pressure to put on a young player and there will be plenty of options available to them which will negate our current situation.

I fear loan options at this stage, certainly for talented youngsters will prove difficult. I guess the loan market we may be forced towards is that of ageing players on the fringes of their own clubs who may be excess to requirements, again these players may not have the nessecary attributes to improve our player pool.

We definately need to get players in this window, at least in the short term we should be aiming for loans rather than signing journey men which we'll have to pay off in the future. If we can survive the 2nd half of the season and secure our SPL status we will have a busy summer trying to secure players that can better the squad and develop over the next few seasons.

I hope we start to look at young players coming in and really getting stuck into our own youth development. I'd like us to secure some promising youngsters and get the acadamy bolstered with all the coaching prowess we can get our hands on and make the most of or increase our scouting network. I'd rather money was going into youth scouting and development than being spent on washed out journeymen.

basil fawlty
06-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Correct, and as he has played for craig brown and done well under him why should he not follow him to aberdeen , craig browns style of play seems to suit him , its motherwell who will be none to pleased i would think.

Albion Hibs
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM

How much Blackburn are paying of his wages will come down to how much he is on. If his wage on his current contract is say £1500 per week then there is nothing to say that Aberdeens wage budget wont cover all of that. For example Hibs may only have offered 1k per week, in which case it does come down to money, as Blackburn would have nothing to pay if he goes to Aberdeen, but left paying for a player they dont have / money on their wage bill for a player at another club.

The only reason a club would be left to pick up a large / share of the wage is if the players contract wage was over and above what the loan club were willing to pay.

Note the above is a hypothetical, not saying that was what was actually happening with money. We will never know, and it is now pretty irrelevant.

Toaods
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
How much Blackburn are paying of his wages will come down to how much he is on. If his wage on his current contract is say £1500 per week then there is nothing to say that Aberdeens wage budget wont cover all of that. For example Hibs may only have offered 1k per week, in which case it does come down to money, as Blackburn would have nothing to pay if he goes to Aberdeen, but left paying for a player they dont have / money on their wage bill for a player at another club.

The only reason a club would be left to pick up a large / share of the wage is if the players contract wage was over and above what the loan club were willing to pay.

Note the above is a hypothetical, not saying that was what was actually happening with money. We will never know, and it is now pretty irrelevant.

agreed, although again, hypothetically, we may have made a higher bid than Aberdeen but he the player feels more secure going to play for the Broon/Knox partnership.

We may have also made a bid to but him outright and that has been rejected.

Toaods
06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
not sure this has actually gone through yet....nothing on Blackburn Rovers website or BBC under the SPL.

matty_f
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
agreed, although again, hypothetically, we may have made a higher bid than Aberdeen but he the player feels more secure going to play for the Broon/Knox partnership.

:agree: You're right, but it does make life a bit more depressing for everyone if we start saying it's because we can't afford it thanks to Petrie.

sunshine1875
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Aberdeen signing Blackman and possibly Alan Gow along with David McNamee and Miles Anderson already signed and possibly Tony Capaldi to follow.

Meanwhile at Hibs.............:tumble:

:zzzzz!:

Andy74
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Aberdeen signing Blackman and possibly Alan Gow along with David McNamee and Miles Anderson already signed and possibly Tony Capaldi to follow.

Other than maybe Blackman those are players that we wouldn't want. They strike me as the type we could get in and be stuck in the same position again trying to get rid next year.

Let's not underestimate what a bit of pace and creativity will do from Zouma and Duffy for the rest of this year and try and deal in a better market in the summer.

RickyS
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

its all about stumbling blocks you know, think the biggest one is the padlock on the wallet

Wilson
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Other than maybe Blackman those are players that we wouldn't want. They strike me as the type we could get in and be stuck in the same position again trying to get rid next year.

Let's not underestimate what a bit of pace and creativity will do from Zouma and Duffy for the rest of this year and try and deal in a better market in the summer.

Lets not overestimate what Duffy and Zouma will do and be stuck with the duffest Hibs side in years going into our relegation battle.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
with the wages we pay he wont be the last player to opt for an inferior team..aberdeens pish and thier so called revival will be short lived, thier debt will increase and 2 seasons time will be back where they are now

PaulSmith
06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
with the wages we pay he wont be the last player to opt for an inferior team..aberdeens pish and thier so called revival will be short lived, thier debt will increase and 2 seasons time will be back where they are now

I just want right now a short term revival :agree:

tamig
06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Lets not overestimate what Duffy and Zouma will do and be stuck with the duffest Hibs side in years going into our relegation battle.

Agreed. I've posted elsewhere that I think a lot of folk are pinning a lot on Zemmama. The wee man's had a really serious injury and it remains to be seen if he can get back to his best. I certainly wouldn't be depending on him and Duffy bringing us back from the brink. I hope so but think we need reinforements desperately.

Andy74
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Agreed. I've posted elsewhere that I think a lot of folk are pinning a lot on Zemmama. The wee man's had a really serious injury and it remains to be seen if he can get back to his best. I certainly wouldn't be depending on him and Duffy bringing us back from the brink. I hope so but think we need reinforements desperately.

I do sort of agree but this time they have to be the right ones, we can't be back here again trying to shift another load of guys who looked good at the time. If that means we cling on a bit this year and work in a better market in the summer then I'd have to think that would be the best thing long term.

BEEJ
06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I do sort of agree but this time they have to be the right ones, we can't be back here again trying to shift another load of guys who looked good at the time. If that means we cling on a bit this year and work in a better market in the summer then I'd have to think that would be the best thing long term.
We're not going to make long-term signings of good calibre players at a time when the club's future in the SPL looks precarious. In the main it's about bringing in good players on loan.

So lumbering ourselves with more uninspiring squad members is not likely to be an issue.

johnbc70
06-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Quality not quantity please.

snooky
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
He's off to Aberdeen to rejoin Paw Broon

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/221442/Blackman-opts-to-rejoin-Brown-at-Aberdeen-?

The thing that strikes me about the Express article is that Pawb has got off his bahookie and is making a few signings meanwhiles our "King is in the counting house, counting out his money" ka-ching! ka-ching!
Par for the course, I suppose. :coffee:

CropleyWasGod
06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
The thing that strikes me about the Express article is that Pawb has got off his bahookie and is making a few signings meanwhiles our "King is in the counting house, counting out his money" ka-ching! ka-ching!

Or perhaps the King is, as ever, doing his business on his own terms and in his own way, away from the media. That would be par for the course.

Jim44
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM

its all about stumbling blocks you know, think the biggest one is the padlock on the wallet

The money factor is important but I don't think we should ignore the fact/probability that Hibs at the moment are not a very attractive proposition for any incoming players. We have been garbage for the best part of a calendar year with little sign of improving and anyone coming in could be gambling with his future career. I disagree about Aberdeen. I think they have already turned or will turn the corner very soon, leaving us in a dire struggle with Hamilton and St. Mirren. Calderwood has alluded to the difficulty he is facing getting players during this window, we have a surfeit of uncommitted players who are halfway out of the club and there a rumours about even our better players being allowed to leave. We hear both pessimism and happy clapping on this board but it means nothing. We need to hear positive rumblings from within the club itself or we will continue in the doldrums for the foreseeable future.

greenlex
06-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Brown and Petrie (who I think you are referring to) have different roles at their respective clubs. Browns counterpart at ER has "got off his bahookie" and enquired about/tried to get the player in the article so your comments are actually nonsense :cool2:

tamig
06-01-2011, 06:17 PM

The reinforcements I was thinking of were more of the short term kind - just to ensure our survival to the end of the season. The big rebuild can then begin in the summer. I certainly don't expect us to be signing anyone in this window on a 2 or 3 year deal. Staying up has to be the priority for now.

one day maybe...
06-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Not a thing on Northsound radio as I was driving home. Just that they had signed Anderson and were hopeful to add more signings. So he aint been loaned out yet to anyone.

Albion Hibs
06-01-2011, 06:22 PM

A few people on here were describing Zouma as one of the best players in the league on his day not that long ago, and Duffy has a much stronger record in this league that Blackman who has had a few good games this season. So I would disagree as I think these guys will make a big difference.

There seems to be a lot of chat on here about just signing players so that we can say we have new ones coming in - "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome is kicking in a bit too much I think.

Hibee Daz
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Little Roddy, it's time for you to cuddle up with daddy on the couch and get your bedtime story from the financial times.:yawn::zzzzz!:

CRAZYHIBBY
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
its only a loan deal till the end of the season according to the express

Bostonhibby
06-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Very good finisher at the level he plays at and no reason why he wouldn't do the same here, doubt we could have afforded him before he moved last time and his values probably gone up - out of our wage league I imagine.

IWasThere2016
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
[FONT=Tahoma][FONT=Verdana]There seems to be a lot of chat on here about just signing players so that we can say we have new ones coming in - "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome is kicking in a bit too much I think

I more worried about 'propping up' the rest .. I think we need strengthening and moreover that moves to do this should not be soonest.

ps - why do your posts have two competing fonts???

Cropley10
06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I more worried about 'propping up' the rest .. I think we need strengthening and moreover that moves to do this should not be soonest.

ps - why do your posts have two competing fonts???

So, if we don't keep up with the Joneses - and buy a few players now, maybe to help us stay UP, we'll just need to find/sign/bed in, what, about 10 new players in the Summer?:confused:

The more I think about this so-called strategy, or plan, Rod and Yogi had for Summer 2011 the more I think it has one or two flaws :hmmm:

Dr Jimmy
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
The two major flaws were Yogi & Petrie!

marinello59
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Aberdeen SAY they are signing Blackman etc. The press up here print rumours at Pittodrie as done deals. Broon has actually said IF Blackman is available for loan again he will probably get him as he is a close personal friend of his manager. That has been typed up by the Evening Express as job done He is also signing a clutch of young Manchester United players as he is a close personal friend of Fergie. Apparently the wee sneak is a close personal friend of everybody down south and they are clamouring to give him players. meanwhile Hibs go about their business in a quiet and dignified manner.

Cropley10
06-01-2011, 08:01 PM

But we need the right reinforcements. And they're very hard to find at this time of year etc.

[Have I got that right?:confused:]

I'm sure one or two folk on here will blow there cover should we be relegated - as the number of posters who seem to think everything will just be OK, never ceases to amaze me...

matty_f
06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
But we need the right reinforcements. And they're very hard to find at this time of year etc.

I'm sure one or two folk on here will blow there cover should we be relegated - as the number of posters who seem to think everything will just be OK, never ceases to amaze me...
Has anyone said it will just be ok? From reading the forums there seems to be a huge consensus that we need to bring players in because the team in it's current guise isn't up to it.

tamig
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Has anyone said it will just be ok? From reading the forums there seems to be a huge consensus that we need to bring players in because the team in it's current guise isn't up to it.

Absolutely. And I've never said that we should bring players in just for the sake of it - as Cropley appears to hint at. Hopefully Calderwood and Adams can pull a few top short term deals out the bag to get us out the position we're currently in.

BEEJ
06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Post #65 by Andy74 seems to infer that we should hold tight with what we have until the summer.

Risky strategy IMHO with the squad as mentally fragile as it is at the moment.

Greenblood70
07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Post #65 by Andy74 seems to infer that we should hold tight with what we have until the summer.

Replace these words with "*****" and "gutless" and I agree with you.

snooky
07-01-2011, 12:13 AM
1) Brown and Petrie (who I think you are referring to) have different roles at their respective clubs. 2) Browns counterpart at ER has "got off his bahookie" and enquired about/tried to get the player in the article so 3) your comments are actually nonsense :cool2:

1) :agree: My point entirely.

2) Agreed. BTW, how did he get on?

3) :shotdowni "Bang bang you shot me down" - Cher :greengrin

RickyS
07-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Replace these words with "*****" and "gutless" and I agree with you.

:top marks

Sunny1875
07-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Would you have let McGhee spend what little money you had left given his previous?:greengrin

I wouldn't let him spend my kids pocket money

mjhibby
07-01-2011, 08:11 AM

I dont think it is a matter of thinking everything is ok but more we realise the mess we are in.So does cc and adams and the board but they arent panicking into signing players for the sake of it.Duffy and zooma will help the team and i think it will take 2 to 3 players to make us a decent side just now.With virtually the whole squad out of contract at the end of the season cc with have free rein to get his team in then we will see if he is the man for the job.
I dont expect the rest of the season to be pretty but i do expect us to be around 7th or 8th and you never know if confidence picks up then we could get a good cup run.I do always tend to be a glass half full guy but im also realistic.It is amazing how a few results change thingsand then everything seems great(3-0 gers 2-1 well) and then its terrible again.Im sure cc didnt realise how bad things were until maybe three or four games ago but i think we should trust him and adams to sort it out.Thye both have very good cvs so there is no reason,given time,they wont turn it round.
The alternative is yet another management team and who knows if that will succeed.My its tricky being a hibby.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Ok, so one person is inferring it.

Andy74
07-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Only if the alternative is more crap for the sake of it. I'm all for good signings. The more the merrier.

matty_f
07-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Only if the alternative is more crap for the sake of it. I'm all for good signings. The more the merrier.

So is that us back to nobody then? :greengrin

Golden Bear
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
It's all gone quiet on this one.

Maybe it's not a formality that he will sign for the Dons after all.

aberhibsfc
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I dont think it is a matter of thinking everything is ok but more we realise the mess we are in.So does cc and adams and the board but they arent panicking into signing players for the sake of it.Duffy and zooma will help the team and i think it will take 2 to 3 players to make us a decent side just now.With virtually the whole squad out of contract at the end of the season cc with have free rein to get his team in then we will see if he is the man for the job.
I dont expect the rest of the season to be pretty but i do expect us to be around 7th or 8th and you never know if confidence picks up then we could get a good cup run.I do always tend to be a glass half full guy but im also realistic.It is amazing how a few results change thingsand then everything seems great(3-0 gers 2-1 well) and then its terrible again.Im sure cc didnt realise how bad things were until maybe three or four games ago but i think we should trust him and adams to sort it out.Thye both have very good cvs so there is no reason,given time,they wont turn it round.
The alternative is yet another management team and who knows if that will succeed.My its tricky being a hibby.

Good post :aok:

Part/Time Supporter
07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
It's all gone quiet on this one.

Maybe it's not a formality that he will sign for the Dons after all.

Stuart McCall thinks that Motherwell have first option on him. Oh, and Alan Gow's been punted by yet another team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/9349776.stm

hfc rd
07-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Would be a very good signing but I think he will end up at Aberdeen as he knows Craig Brown and Archie Knox very well during his time with the both of them at Motherwell.

ScottB
07-01-2011, 11:04 PM

By far the most sensible post on here in a long time! Thank you Sir! :greengrin

RickyS
08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Would be a very good signing but I think he will end up at Aberdeen as he knows Craig Brown and Archie Knox very well during his time with the both of them at Motherwell.

Stuart McCall on the Sports Centre last night said that IF Blackman comes back on loan in Scotland it will be to Motherwell, he gave him his word! but he does think he will either stay at Blackburn or go on loan to the Championship

Cropley10
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM

So it will take us 2-3 players to make us a good team? What about the 15 OOC?

The point is surely we ALL know we NEED players. We need QUALITY players. But when are they going to arrive? Why is it so diffocult for HIBS and so much easier for other teams like Leicester.

CC needs backing, NOW.

RickyS
08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
So it will take us 2-3 players to make us a good team? What about the 15 OOC?

The point is surely we ALL know we NEED players. We need QUALITY players. But when are they going to arrive? Why is it so diffocult for HIBS and so much easier for other teams like Leicester.

CC needs backing, NOW.

I worry we will be drawing numbers between the sh**e left at the end of the window.

WindyMiller
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM

What 'signings'?

Pure media nonsense.

down-the-slope
08-01-2011, 11:33 AM
several managers quoted as saying little business will be done until the end of the window...why do we think we would be any different?

Judas Iscariot
08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
several managers quoted as saying little business will be done until the end of the window...why do we think we would be any different?

Because we're *****, in a relegation battle and need improvement now?

RickyS
08-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Because we're *****, in a relegation battle and need improvement now?

have to agree, we should be targeting the players that the homework has been getting done on and maybe seeing what else is available at the end of the window when the domino effect starts

WindyMiller
08-01-2011, 11:55 AM
have to agree, we should be targeting the players that the homework has been getting done on and maybe seeing what else is available at the end of the window when the domino effect starts

Perhaps these players are being held by their clubs until replacements are found.
Perhaps these players are waiting for a better offer than a team struggling in the SPL.
If a player was free to come to us in the first week of the window he'd either cost a lot of money or not be "Hib's Class".

Springbank
08-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Meaning Jonathon Johanssen.

He is the last player I can remember (the only one) who our board sanctioned the signing of so that he arrived on Day One of the Transfer Window and could then hit the ground running, give the club and fans a shot in the arm, lift morale, all the clever box office things that (it pains to say) the Old Firm get right and we never really seem to be smart about.

Check the 'tic with Ljungberg. They were desperate all through December but get a morale-boosting signing on Day One and then don't look back.

Which is where I wonder if the Finnish JJ is at fault here - fair play to the Board, they tried it then, he didn't really work out, but the question is...are we paying the price this Window for his underperformance?

Have the Board been put off big Jan signings????

RickyS
08-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Perhaps these players are being held by their clubs until replacements are found.
Perhaps these players are waiting for a better offer than a team struggling in the SPL.
If a player was free to come to us in the first week of the window he'd either cost a lot of money or not be "Hib's Class".

fair points, but in looking at the Sheep their gaffer made an instant impact and signed the players he needed straight away (4 i think) and is looking for more.
are they worse players than we are targeting? I don't know, but we hear all managers go on about how scouting is constant throughout the year so surely the speaking starts before the 1st of the month?

RickyS
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Meaning Jonathon Johanssen.

He is the last player I can remember (the only one) who our board sanctioned the signing of so that he arrived on Day One of the Transfer Window and could then hit the ground running, give the club and fans a shot in the arm, lift morale, all the clever box office things that (it pains to say) the Old Firm get right and we never really seem to be smart about.

Check the 'tic with Ljungberg. They were desperate all through December but get a morale-boosting signing on Day One and then don't look back.

Which is where I wonder if the Finnish JJ is at fault here - fair play to the Board, they tried it then, he didn't really work out, but the question is...are we paying the price this Window for his underperformance?

Have the Board been put off big Jan signings????

not a big signing but sure Graeme Smith was a first of January signing?

WindyMiller
08-01-2011, 12:48 PM
fair points, but in looking at the Sheep their gaffer made an instant impact and signed the players he needed straight away (4 i think) and is looking for more.
are they worse players than we are targeting? I don't know, but we hear all managers go on about how scouting is constant throughout the year so surely the speaking starts before the 1st of the month?

The Sheep's' official site has only 1 atm, a 20 y.o. who was already on trial under Pa B at Motherwell.

Edit: They also appear to have signed David McNamee who was released by Plymouth in the summer and has been on trial at Motherwell under Brown. Hardly the sort of players that would have .netters praising the Board.

RickyS
08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
The Sheep's' official site has only 1 atm, a 20 y.o. who was already on trial under Pa B at Motherwell.

Edit: They also appear to have signed David McNamee who was released by Plymouth in the summer and has been on trial at Motherwell under Brown. Hardly the sort of players that would have .netters praising the Board.

i stand corrected then mate, but the point i was making was that whether or not he had them on trial he identified a problem area and addressed it. Dont know much about the centre half but McNamee might do a job, was he released because of Plymouths financial woes?

Pedantic_Hibee
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
The title says 'Hibs make offer Blackman'. Is this true?

WindyMiller
08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
i stand corrected then mate, but the point i was making was that whether or not he had them on trial he identified a problem area and addressed it. Dont know much about the centre half but McNamee might do a job, was he released because of Plymouths financial woes?

Don't know.
He's been around a bit, would he be any better than Hart?